From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #10 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Wednesday, 27 September 1995 Volume 01 : Number 010 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: William Pat Chuss Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 12:04:17 PDT Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #9 (fwd) > > From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) > Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:56:37 +1200 > Subject: Not Cha > > Well I have to pull this definiton to bits. > One the person defined as 'Hot Cha' is definitely not female if 'the first > time hot cha went away, a floating island was his home' and then the idea > of 'hot cha' being a metaphor for alcohol seems irrespressibly silly to me, > because you can personify the demon drink certainly. But not as somethiong > that leaves your stereo on and cooks bacon.... Hmmmm, I have to disagree here. What if hot-cha is the drunk person. Certainly some of us have done things like leaving the stereo on, or cooking bacon while away in our inebriated state. They seem like examples of irresponsibility that can go along with a drunkard. I've seen someone's interp of this song where Hot Cha is Jesus Christ. It was a pretty cool interp, but I can't really remember the details. Pat Willie Pat Chuss Mom and Dad don't like me, they say I'm mean Megatest Corp. and crude. They try to make me a good little pchuss@megatest.com boy by sticking downers in my food - DEAD MMEN &^!#@%$D!@E^$A!@D*$M&%I@#L$&K%!M#*E$^N!%@#$*%&^!%@#$*&!^@#%$*&!^%#*%&^$%!@#*!@ ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 15:22:19 EDT Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #9 (fwd) > > Hmmmm, I have to disagree here. What if hot-cha is the drunk person. > Certainly some of us have done things like leaving the stereo on, or cooking > bacon while away in our inebriated state. They seem like examples of > irresponsibility that can go along with a drunkard. > > I've seen someone's interp of this song where Hot Cha is Jesus Christ. > It was a pretty cool interp, but I can't really remember the details. > > Pat Well it could be. My interp was based on little thought and only hearing the song a couple of times (whenever I don't skip over it). ------------------------------ From: "Penny Morris" Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:48:21 -0400 Subject: Re: Constantinople q216 >> And since we're talking about that, if anyone has a video of that >> episode, I would LOVE to trade! I have a whole bunch of stuff, so >> just e-mail me! >` >I thought that WB put that episode on video. Oh well anyway I would like to s >ee > that >one again. The first time I saw it I didn't even know who They Might be Giant >s >were. I bought that episode, I'd be willing to make a copy....:) Penny ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 16:18:43 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Bad addresses I've noticed some bad addresses popping up in the mailing list already. I just wanted to let people know how I'm going to deal with this. The mail will sit in the queue here for 5 days. If after that time it could not be delivered, your name will be removed from the list. So, if you're not getting your mail someplace reliable you might want to change where it's going. If you do get removed from the list you can simply re-subscribe. Please let me know if there are any other problems with delivery. - -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:55:45 -0500 (EST) Subject: [none] does anyone know the real lyrics to letterbox- the part in the middle. sounds like" too late or still two men not about love and theres no time for sorrow, run around run around with a hole in your head till to rock. ohhhh" can anyone of you tmbg lyric afficionados give aid to a poor, lonesome girl who cant sing the words to a wonderful song? soph ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 16:05:01 -0500 Subject: Re: At 03:55 PM 9/26/95 -0500, sara kathleen smith wrote: >does anyone know the real lyrics to letterbox- the part in the middle. >sounds like" too late or still two men not about love and theres no time >for sorrow, run around run around with a hole in your head till to rock. >ohhhh" If I'm not mistaken (and I hope I'm not...) the lyrics to the bridge are: Too late or soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow run around in the rain with a hole in your brain 'till tomorrooooow. I hope this helps! paul - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ----- [BBC] Is it true that you're a connoisseur of the classics? [George Harrison] No. It's just a rumor. ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 17:26:13 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: your mail In the immortal words of sara kathleen smith: > >does anyone know the real lyrics to letterbox- the part in the middle. >sounds like" too late or still two men not about love and theres no time >for sorrow, run around run around with a hole in your head till to rock. >ohhhh" From the TMBG FAQ (note that there are others who have their own ideas of what it is...): 10. What are the lyrics to the bridge section in "Letterbox"? Jimmymeister writes: I posted a question about the Letterbox bridge several months ago. Here's the compiled response I got: Too late or soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomo-rrooooow. ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cbongaar@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: Neil Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 18:38:34 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Constantinople On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Ben Allen wrote: > Not to go off on a wild tangent or anything like that, but did anyone > else notice that in one scene of the video Plucky had a "distinctive" > hairstyle and Hampton was wearing a pair of strangely familiar glasses? Why yes, yes I did. I can't seem to place where I've seen them, though... :) ------------------------------ From: Neil Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 18:41:06 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Constantinople On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, The Princess Bridesmaid wrote: > > > I thought that WB put that episode on video. Oh well anyway I would like to see that > > one again. The first time I saw it I didn't even know who They Might be Giants > > were. > > If they did put it out on video, I have no idea where to find it, and > would appreciate any help in that regard also. You may want to try a local Warner Brother's store. In addition to cool (albeit overpriced) Tiny Toons merchandise, you can get all sorts of way overpriced merchandise related to anything else the ol WB does. ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 10:51:46 -0200 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #9 >Well Michael Carr, man of infinite TMBG wisdom, would be so kind as to >dissect the song Kiss Me Son of God for me? ...and just for the record, after getting some lyrics from it, I did, and it doesn't look good for the Johns To Be Given Sainthoods theory... Cheers... - ---------------------------------------------------------- When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harrasment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 a minute. - ---------------------------------------------------------- Michael Carr Email: - ---------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 19:43:03 -0600 Subject: Re: your mail >From the TMBG FAQ (note that there are others who have their own ideas >of what it is...): > Too late or soon to make lots of bad love and > there's no time for sorrow. > Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomo-rrooooow. Indeed, that is what the FAQ says. I am one of the ones who has his own ideas, though. I think it's: Too late or soon to make noise about love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomo-rrooooow. Listen. You be the judge. ****************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 18:47:12 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: your mail In the immortal words of Jonathan Chaffer: >>From the TMBG FAQ (note that there are others who have their own ideas >>of what it is...): >> Too late or soon to make lots of bad love and >> there's no time for sorrow. >> Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomo-rrooooow. > >Indeed, that is what the FAQ says. I am one of the ones who has his own >ideas, though. I think it's: > Too late or soon to make noise about love and > there's no time for sorrow. > Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomo-rrooooow. Actually, I was specifically talking about you, Jonathan :) >Listen. You be the judge. I have, and I agree with the FAQ's version mostly because when given the opportunity to make a pun (making bad love) They'll take it. Has anyone seen this performed in concert? I seem to remember it showing up on a setlist or two on this list... I've also heard the last line quoted differently, but can't remember that version.... ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cbongaar@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: Robert Bird Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 20:14:09 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: At 04:05 PM 9/26/95 -0500, you wrote: > >Too late or soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow >run around in the rain with a hole in your brain 'till tomorrooooow. > >paul > That's what it sounds like to me, too. Bob - -- (c)1995 Robert Bird rbird@utk.edu http://cobweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird University of Tennessee, Knoxville Materials Science and Engineering I speak only for myself and a few other selected split personalities. THIS DISCLAIMER IS NOT REQUIRED BY LEADER KIBO. beable beable beable ------------------------------ From: "and I said yeah baby, Evil's ok in my book!" Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 21:38:52 -0500 Subject: wb I'm sorry to all you Tiny Animaniac Looney lovers out there who I am about to offend, but I HATE warner brothers. I've spent hours plotting how I'm going to destroy their corporation. If only they didn't have the reigns of Elektra records.... ------------------------------ From: pvachusk@uwcmail.uwc.edu Date: Wed Sep 27 07:07:19 CDT 1995 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #9 (fwd) >> >> Hmmmm, I have to disagree here. What if hot-cha is the drunk person. >> Certainly some of us have done things like leaving the stereo on, or cooking >> bacon while away in our inebriated state. They seem like examples of >> irresponsibility that can go along with a drunkard. >> >> I've seen someone's interp of this song where Hot Cha is Jesus Christ. >> It was a pretty cool interp, but I can't really remember the details. >> >> Pat >Well it could be. My interp was based on little thought and only hearing the >song a couple of times (whenever I don't skip over it). Why would you possibly skip it? I think Hot Cha is a great song. The lyrics are subject to the multiple interpertations the most TMBG songs are. I love the last two lines. Drink and cook the prodigal son Fondue forks for everybody. They put the phrase "prodigal son" next to "Fondue forks"; so you have something biblical sounding next to a post-modern sounding phrase. There is something wierd and demented (and maybe a little Monty-Pythonish) about cooking the prodigal son. and even stranger to Drink the prodigal son! Also They throw one slightly off-balance by using the word "everybody" when "everyone" would have rhymed with "prodigal son". But no, this would be to simple and straightforeward for THEM. They bounce it off the third from the last line "we would throw such a party". How can you possibly skip such a song?? Its TMBG! - -Peter ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #10 *****************************************