Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-103 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 103 Saturday, 6 January 1996 Today's Topics: Re: ok, i guess it's up to me.. Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-100 Returned mail: User unknown (Fwd) Re[4]: CBS News tmbg-list Digest #1-101 tmbg-list Digest #1-101 tmbg-list Digest #1-102 tmbg-list Digest #1-102 tmbg-list Digest #1-101 Things My copy of flood Re: My copy of flood Re: My copy of flood music over the phone Re: My copy of flood TMBG Music Re: TMBG Music Re: music over the phone Tiny Toons and Mega Tapes (none) Some other cover ideas..... Re: (Fwd) Re[4]: CBS News LIST BACK!!!! Graham Maby now plays with TMBG--Joe Jackson connection Re: New trivia question/ valuable prize YAAY! THE LIST IS BACK! I am whole again yet another translation translation? did someone say translation? CONCERT in NYC show I am whole again TMBG Video Bootleg--status update three things philly and NYC Re: philly and NYC Re: three things Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 07:34:07 -0500 Subject: Re: ok, i guess it's up to me.. From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) On Dec 20, 1995 21:40:16, '"Michael C. Lebovitz" lebo@locke.ccil.org>' wrote: >Saturday Night Live? heh. > > I mean, why haven't They been on there yet? It's not like Their >GODS or anything, or like they live in NY. SNL has had some terrible >bands on there (the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, for one). Why not TMBG?! >Dear Rabbit Ears, find that address and we will FLOOD SNL's e'mail (if >there is one) with threats, requests, pleas, and bribes. Get New York's >own on the show! We must! IT IS OUR DESTINY! > >lebo -- man, i wish i could shake your hand!!! i'm right on it!!!!!!! that's awsome!!!!! :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 09:29:47 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-100 >of Why Does The Sun Shine?, does anyone remember when they used to add >punch lines to the song? My favorite was "hydrogen, helium, and wood." "Oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, boron, chloron, moron, and estrogen." >>Saturday Night Live? heh. >> >> I mean, why haven't They been on there yet? It's not like Their >-- > >man, i wish i could shake your hand!!! i'm right on it!!!!!!! that's >awsome!!!!! I thought they *had* been on SNL. Have they? >oops, tiny toons is on right now. >and, it's a repeat. How far into the series is this TMBG episode? We got >the one with Hamton the hero yesterday, I suppose it's too much to ask to >have anyone cast their minds back? I found a list of Tiny Toon episodes at: ftp://utpapa.ph.utexas.edu/pub/misc/tta/docs/TTA_Episode_Guide The episode in question: 51 : TINY TOON MUSIC TELEVISION [#163 -- Tokyo Movie Shinsa] FULL -- 2/1/91 Babs and Buster (and guest star Julie Bruin) host this parody of MTV-style music videos: * "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" by They Might Be Giants -- Plucky as an Istanbul P.I., on the trail of a stolen statuette. * "Particle Man" by They Might Be Giants -- Plucky is the pro wrestler of the title(?!), pounded by Triangle Man, Universe Man, etc. * "Respect" by Aretha Franklin -- Babs & her walkman skate and dance about the library, courtroom, pet cemetery, etc. * "Money (That's What I Want)" by Barrett Strong -- Money- grubbing Max sings motown. Didn't see that one coming, didja? * "Top Secret Apprentice" -- Buster begins to play with Bugs' secret computer-animation system in this semi-parody of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" from _Fantasia_. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: Jay.Brotz@bm.medtechnet.com (Jay Brotz) Date: 20 Dec 95 21:06:00 -0500 Subject: Returned mail: User unknown Organization: Med TechNet >>>> > >>>> > TMBG are the shiznit. They're all that. And I bet they're >>>> > pretty good at checkers too. >>>> >>>> Yup, and I bet they can clean up in dominoes. >>>> >>>> gaucho >>>> >>>> >>> I'd guess that They completely rule at nine-ball, too, and perhaps >>>even croquet!! >> >>you know, you're forgetting about musical chairs -- they've GOTTA rule at >>that. >> >>paul >> > I'd be willing to wager that they kick some major a$$ in bocce ball and >lawn darts. > >j >-- -- |Internet: Jay.Brotz@bm.medtechnet.com |Fidonet: Jay Brotz 1:260/95 | | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly their own. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 11:39:47 -0500 Subject: (Fwd) Re[4]: CBS News From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) ok, this is pretty gay.. see, i've been writing this guy to try to get an email address, but this guy just doesn't understand.. he keeps talking about press kits and stuff.. (see below) i attempted to explain what we wanted to do, but i think there's something stuck between this guys head and the computer.. >----- Forwarded message (ctpassant@cbs.com) -----< This is not the place to bombard messages. A press kit is a news release of sort. It has a copy of the song, plus info about your group. You snail mail it. ______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: Re: Re[2]: CBS News Author: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) at Internet Date: 12/21/95 7:32 AM On Dec 20, 1995 16:09:21, 'ctpassant@cbs.com' wrote: > >Do you have a press kit you can send me. >I'll take a peak at it. > maybe a miss understanding :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ From: rc@gcc.cc.md.us Date: 21 Dec 1995 12:32:38 EDT Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-101 TM>> At least you could try to be original and steal someone who we don't TM>> know's stuff. I can play the skin flute. When I start, I count TM>> off..."1, 2, 1, 2, 3, WANK!" You should hear me wank my skin flute to TM>> Don't Lets Start. It rocks! TM>you wanker. At least I have correct form...unlike some wanker, whose name I won't mention (Paul, aka Son Of God) TM>I asked a Belgian one time who the hell James Ensor was. She said she TM>didn't know who the hell James Ensor was, but mmmm, did she like TM>waffles mmmm...waffles. Maybe she was from the wrong side of Belgium...kinda like the wrong side of the railroad tracks, I think. TM>How do I get tickets? what is the 9:30 anyhoo? Yes. Do tell. TM>> Stone Temple Pilots- self called nowhere TM>o come now..... they don't even have 1/2 a clue how to play anything, TM>possibly they could do Hello Radio if someone played all the music for them I dunno, Purple was pretty good, although some of the guitar riffs are about the same, but then you just look at AC/DC, and STP looks good. TM>> I think Weird Al Yankovic should do the "Famous Polka". TM>He should do a polka with every song from flood, kinda like the Hard TM>Rocks polka he did. TM> someone! keeps! moving! my chair! hey! doo doo do do dooo! hey! Whistling in the Birdhouse in Your Twisting Particle Man. TM>6)Pearl Jam: "Istanbul" - we'd all appreciate TMBG a little more after TM>hearing Pearl Jam slaughter the perfect song Not quite the perfect song, but close. Did you know istanbul is a REALLY old song? Like 1954 or something. TM> Phish on Ms Train? No. Well, maybe. Throw in a few Trey riffs, TM>make it a half hour long, take out some of the words... okay. But not TM>as is. As much as I hate to say it, the song s just too silly. I think Phish could do just about any TMBG song. They have the vocalists and instruments for any of them. Another useless commentary by, Nothingman -Is it worse because it's always waiting where your eyes don't go? ------------------------------ From: rc@gcc.cc.md.us Date: 21 Dec 1995 12:32:30 EDT Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-101 TM> Ummmmm... TM>> At least you could try to be original and steal someone who we don't TM>> know's stuff. I can play the skin flute. When I start, I count TM>> off..."1, 2, 1, 2, 3, WANK!" You should hear me wank my skin flute to TM>> Don't Lets Start. It rocks! TM> 'Wank your skinflute'. Any other Brits out their who are highly TM>amused by this. Wanking your skinflute in time to Don't Let's Start. What TM>exactly does 'Wank' mean in the US. Presumably something different to TM>what it means here... or at least I hope so. It's just a joke. I think it probably means the same thing. but i like to use it as an all purpose word. But it was suppose to make you laugh, so I guess I succeeded. TM>ps - i dont have too much time on MY hands...just too much work that i dont TM> want to do.... I know the feeling. So much to do, and so little time to procrastinate. TM>you've got them backwards, my friend. linnell is the skinny one with the TM>accordian. flans is the other one. Ok, so I'm a putz. I apologize for my ignorance. TM>My reply--"handy tips for video tapers": TM>On the VHS tape cassette, there is a nifty little break-off tab called TM>something like a "RECORD PROTECT" device. If you want to prevent your TM>dad from taping over something, just break off this tab. Any good TM>VCR will then refuse to record on that tape. Well, I probably would have done this, except: 1) I didn't think of it. 2) I specifically told everyone in my house not to record anything on that tape. 3) I took the tape out after every time I watched it so it wouldn't be mistaken for another tape. 4) I'm lazy, so I would have had to exert too much energy to get this little tab off. Thanks anyway. And for something about TMBG, I listened to Lincoln last night (I haven't heard it for a while) and I absolutely love it. I used to think it was their worst album, but I really like it now. Nothingman -Used to be different, now they're the same... ------------------------------ From: rc@gcc.cc.md.us Date: 21 Dec 1995 12:32:40 EDT Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-102 TM>so I hung up the phone and turned the stereo back up just in time for Road TM>Movie to Berlin to come on. What beautiful songwriting! As I lay back TM>listening to the lyrics, I suddenly felt better and at ease with myself! TM>It was wonderful! Thank you, TMBG, for making my life better! Road Movie To Berlin is one of my favorites. It puts a smile on my face everytime I hear it, and it's just so fun to sing along. TM>-cheese is good CHEESE!! People say I'm obsessed with cheese. Cheese. Cheese! CHEESE! I'm not, though. Just because I eat cheese till I vomit doesn't mean I'm obsessed. TM>oh come now.. everyone loves their original lyrics and totaly varied TM>tunes, man... wait, I mean "love" in the sense of the word that means TM>"sucks really really bad" Grren Day...suck bad? Naw. (I can't say that with a straight face, not that it's funny, but it's so untrue) TM>I think you would like soundgarden if they sang "We are the World", your TM>opinions on Soundgarden are invalid Soundgarden would kick ass on any song. Except maybe Tear in my Beer. TM>> Maybe you should spell it out in PERZ candies. It would probably be TM>> more remembered and followed if you did that. TM>I don't get it, what the hell is PERZ? Shut up! I'm a dolt, ok? So I can't type. Shoot me. TM> Harland is Hitler!! (Harland, for those who don't know, is his dad) This would explain why he was concerned that Eli was Amish. TM>plays himself? is that something like wanking? Wank on, my brother! TM>Saturday Night Live? heh. This is so weird. I was watching some episodes of SNL, and I asked my friend if he had ever seen TMBG on it, because I have never heard of them being there. He didn't think they had either. It's kinda weird that they're both NYers. They would definately add some light to a fast fading show. Nothingman -Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend. ------------------------------ From: rc@gcc.cc.md.us Date: 21 Dec 1995 12:32:40 EDT Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-102 TM>PS Wank the flute? It could mean the british and US meanings of wank if it TM>was a madonna concert... TM>but really there's children on and masturbaton is for the psychotically TM>deranged isn't it? Wanking is for all ages! It's fun for the whole family. Nothingman -And it's part of a complete breakfast. ------------------------------ From: rc@gcc.cc.md.us Date: 21 Dec 1995 12:32:34 EDT Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-101 TM>meat puppets- spider Maybe the Meat Puppets could do Whirlpool. :) For some odd reason, it sounds like a Meat Puppets' song. ;) TM>well here goes the parody of american pie as promised TM>well there it is i hoped you liked it.. That was pretty cool. I enjoyed it. TM>TLC, "O Do Not Forsake me" (nobody said we had to LIKE the covers :) At least the video would be cool to watch. All of their videos are great after you turn the volume down. TM>I was wondering if anyone knew who were the singers at the end of the Famous TM>Polka, it's not often that the Johns don't sing their songs. I didn't notice it wasn't them. TM>On the topic of singing, I forget, but is that one of the Johns singing on TM>O Do Not Forsake Me and if so which one? Nope. It's Hudson Shad. At least that's what the credits in the album say. TM>> 'Wank your skinflute'. Any other Brits out their who are highly TM>> amused by this. Wanking your skinflute in time to Don't Let's Start. What TM>> exactly does 'Wank' mean in the US. Presumably something different to TM>> what it means here... or at least I hope so. TM>Not to be vulgar or anything, but I think the wank you're thinking of is exa TM>what this dude is talking about. Geez. What a sick fuck. Who would ever talk about wanking? :) I guess it got a laugh though. TM>Either this was a very rare occurrance or you have your Johns mixed up. Fla TM>is the big guy and Linnell is the skinny guy with more hair ya know? TM>Flans has always played the guitar and Linnell has always played the accordi TM>keyboards, saxophones. Also, in the 8 times I've seen Them live I thik I've TM>ever seen Flans play the guitar. It'd be cool to see them switch instrument TM>they are able to play them. So I'm a dolt. I knew one played a lot of insrtuments and the other played the guitar (and the one who plays guitar is big and has glasses and the other os small with hair) I just couldn't quite remember which was which. Thanks for clearing it up though. TM>How about King Missile doing Purple Toupee? King Missile could do anything by anybody. Did you hear their rendition of It's the End of The World by REM? It's pretty weird, but what do you expect from King Missile? Nothingman -This one's called Martin Scorsese...HE MAKES THE BEST FUCKIN' FILMS! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 13:02:49 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Things First, DAS. When it says a "new, unreleased song every day," what exactly does that mean? Also, how come on random days of the week (about 4 out of 7 for me) it just doesn't answer? Next, because I'm too lazy to look (I probably have the info somewhere) is there a way to write to Them? Thanks. - Ryan ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 10:15:23 -0800 (PST) From: Rian Rutherford Subject: My copy of flood I just found out something today for the first time. The copy of Flood and Apollo 18 that my friend made for me awhile back does not contain the song "Road Movie to Berlin". I was always wondering why I didn't know the lyrics to that song, have I really been missing out? It just ends at "They Might Be Giants" and goes right into "Dig My Grave". Argh, now I'm depressed :( *------------------------------------------------------------- |garthi@teleport.com | "These go up to 11" -Nigel Tuffnel| |----------------------| ------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 14:01:07 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: Re: My copy of flood You're not really missing out, except that it's cooler if you actually buy the albums instead of pirating them... And buying is better because you A) Get a crispy lyrics sheet and neat-o pictures, and B) Support TMBG. But as far as the song goes, you're not missing too much. - Ryan ------------------------------ Subject: Re: My copy of flood Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 13:35:31 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Rian Rutherford: >contain the song "Road Movie to Berlin". I was always wondering why I >didn't know the lyrics to that song, have I really been missing out? It You're missing out on classic Theyesque puns like: "So take the wheel, and I will take the pedals." and "We were once so close to heaven Peter came out and gave us medals Declaring us The Nicest of the Damned." IMHO it should have been placed differently in the album, as it always gives Flood a sort of melancholy ending that is rather un-They. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 15:01:24 -0500 Subject: music over the phone From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) Hey everyone call 1-800-musicnow... you can sample albums and yes they do have TMBG... it's great... -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." -TMBG- Mr Klaw.... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 14:53:00 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: My copy of flood On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, Ryan Staib wrote: > You're not really missing out, except that it's cooler if you actually > buy the albums instead of pirating them... And buying is better because > you A) Get a crispy lyrics sheet and neat-o pictures, and B) Support > TMBG. But as far as the song goes, you're not missing too much. > - Ryan > > I wouldn't say that...The first time I heard Road Movie to Berlin, I was amazed with it..Its a great song, if not one of the better ones on Flood. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 15:48:57 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Subject: TMBG Music Is there anywhere I can get: 1) Singles or They merchandise faster than Their orderline 2) Live in NY 3) All the videos 4) All their TV appearance type things (is someone compiling those?) 5) The power of DAS PS I have nothing to trade except money for any of the above. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 16:17:17 -0500 (EST) From: "Sean M. Stolon" Subject: Re: TMBG Music On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, Ryan Staib wrote: > Is there anywhere I can get: > 1) Singles or They merchandise faster than Their orderline > 2) Live in NY > 3) All the videos > 4) All their TV appearance type things (is someone compiling those?) > 5) The power of DAS > PS I have nothing to trade except money for any of the above. > > I wish I could help you, but I'd be pretty interested in 2 - 5 of what you want, so if you get any responses, drop me some mail..Also, what about someway to write to tmbg besides their fan club, so that I could actually possibly get a real reply, and not something some guy at a desk made up.. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 17:36:39 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: music over the phone >Hey everyone call 1-800-musicnow... > >you can sample albums and yes they do have TMBG... it's great... It's available online at: http://www.1800musicnow.mci.com/ RealAudio is available! Way cool! +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 16:51:04 +0700 From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: Tiny Toons and Mega Tapes ................................................................................ Hello, If you are really interested in the episode of Tiny Toons in which the They Might Be Giants songs appear, you might try to hunt it down at the Warner Bros. Studio Store. I am not plugging the store. In fact, I used to work there and I hated it, but I know that they DO have it available on video cassette. It is overpriced, but it's Warner Bros., so what else can we expect? Also, my friend has allowed me to borrow her VCR, so I will be able to make a copy of the TMBG appearance on House of the Blues, but where should I send it? Will my participation guarentee me a copy of the MEGA TAPE OF ALL THINGS GIANT? Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 18:27:51 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib <97starya@james.hawken.edu> Scratch one small item from my previous list. I have the HOB performance on tape (if anyone wants/needs/will kill for it). - Ryan Staib *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 97starya@james.hawken.edu gn487@cleveland.freenet.edu Yay. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 20:02:48 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Some other cover ideas..... How about these: Hootie & the Blowfish - Extra Savoir-faire Madonna - Kiss me, son of God ( in a low, torchy voice) Tom Petty - The End of the Tour Aerosmith - Dig My Grave Just my own two cents...... 'Nette `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu *------------------------------------------------------------- Q of the week: Is caffeine really your friend? *------------------------------------------------------------- "The porpoise is laughing; good-bye, good-bye." The Monkees `'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'`'*'` ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 21:33:20 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re[4]: CBS News <<< No Message Collected >>> ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: LIST BACK!!!! Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 05:22:53 -0500 (EST) The list is back up and running. It's processing up all the queued mail now...expect your mail box to fill up shortly. :-) If there are any problems, please let me know. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Fri, 5 Jan 96 11:06:06 MST Subject: Graham Maby now plays with TMBG--Joe Jackson connection I just got this bit of TMBG trivia from the Joe Jackson mailing list: ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 10:05:34 PST From: Jim Kirk Subject: Re: New trivia question/ valuable prize The question was ... >>Just back from an NYC vacation, and stumbled on a >>new bit of trivia ... >>Can you identify the connection between Joe >>Jackson and the TV show Seinfeld? Dick Jackson replied: >Here's a guess: >Graham Maby, who has played to great effect on >many of Joe's albums and >tours, played the funky bass riffs they play between >scenes. And my fellow Canadian Dick's the lucky winner ... that means I won't have to send that valuable prize across customs. When in NYC last week I caught They Might Be Giants playing Trams on New Years Eve. Graham played with them, and was introduced as "making his New York debut as the band's new bass player." I know he played on their last album. Anyway, one of the TMBG leads (I can never remember their names) said "you're probably familiar with Graham's work" and played that funcky little bass riff from Seinfeld. Of course, when you listen to Graham's work in You Can't Get What You Want (especially the 12" remix) it's all obvious. You can also expect to see Graham show up at a series of live gigs TMBG are doing in NYC in March -- every Wednesday I believe -- at a venue to be announced. They'll be recording a new live album, tentatively entitled "Alien Autopsy." Cheers, JK ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: YAAY! THE LIST IS BACK! Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:32:10 -0800 (PST) I certainly missed all of the nifty stuff I read here before the vacation. whew! Any info of Sup. Freaksicle or any weird thoughts (replacing Dirt Bike with Third Reich), etc? I love that stuff (interps). (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago "Push the delete key while holding down Control and Alt for a secret surprise..." --Joke for the computer Illiterate *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 15:10:18 -0500 From: Dale Caldwell Subject: I am whole again Yeah, my life can continue. The TMBG list is back on line. Does anyone know who's opening for TMBG over the next few months? I have a friend (the bum) who's going to be in Virginia (the bum) when They are doing a show (the bum). Of course, he's planning on going to see Their show (the bum). Hey I guess I should be happy his company happens to be sending him to VA for some computer training at the same time They are playing, exepenses paid. Yeah, right. I hope he gets stuck sitting behind some big headed smelly person :-) dale ================================================================== badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges! dale@gardeners.com ------------------------------ From: "Julie Baker" Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 15:43:14 EST5EDT Subject: yet another translation This may be late, but - oh well. I noticed that you all were sending in translations of They Might Be Giants in different languages. I didn't see Swedish listed, so I asked one of my friends to translate. Here is his translation: Dom kanske aer jaettar. Oh BTW: I play flute and sing...and I'm from a tiny speck on the map in Georgia called Barnesville... **************** Julie Baker Barnesville **************** ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 16:13:07 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: translation? did someone say translation? hi everyone! my dad works at the fort wayne airport as an air traffic controller and he was teaching me the alphabet in radio language during church (don't ask)...and here it is, "TMBG" in some funky aviation language: TANGO MIKE BRAVO GOLF my job here is done. "alpha india mike echo echo" over and out. ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ "Buy plastic. It's good." -the brilliant advertising team of Pflieger and Smith aimee elisabeth pflieger apfliege@indiana.edu -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 16:37:04 +0001 (EST) From: Nancy McGrath Subject: CONCERT in NYC Forgive me for going a bit off-topic here... For those of you TMBG fans in the NYC area looking to expand your musical horizons, David Yazbek has a gig coming up that you should plan on attending. I believe Yazbek's energetic music and quirky & intelligent lyrics will appeal to TMBG fans. Not to mention... drummer Brian Doherty will be backing up Yazbek that evening. If you're not familiar with Mr. Yazbek, he executive-produced the XTC Tribute album (A TESTIMONIAL DINNER) on which TMBG performed "25 O'Clock." (TMBG also has a cut on another album Yazbek co-produced -- "Why Does the Sun Shine" on CARMEN SANDIEGO: OUT OF THIS WORLD.) David Yazbek has also released an album of his own, on the Humbug label in England. THE LAUGHING MAN, which contains 12 original songs and features Andy Partridge (among others), will be available in the U.S. in the near future through WAR Records. So where and when is this gig? Friday, January 12, 8 p.m. BROWNIE's -- 169 Avenue A (between 10th & 11th Streets) 212/420-8392 Don't miss it! Nancy McGrath nmcgrath@world.std.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 14:18:47 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: show So how was the NY show on new years? What did they play? Tell me. TELL ME. Liam ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: I am whole again Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 17:57:32 -0500 (EST) > > Does anyone know who's opening for TMBG over the next few months? I have a Probably the Martinis, as they opened for the Philly and New Years shows but I'll ask my friend waht the DC tickets say to check for the January show. I didn't much like the Martinis during Philly and they played forever! It was great to see the Giants when they finally did get on stage and I was standing 3 rows from Flans!! Oh for those who went to the Philly show, how'd ya like that full body frisk job they did to everyone? They even frisked us when we came down from the 21 and over bar section back to the floor. Wacky Philly. > friend (the bum) who's going to be in Virginia (the bum) when They are doing They playing in VA as well?? Damn I gotta find out about this. I know they're doing the 9:30 club in DC at the end of the month, can you send me more info on this? > paid. Yeah, right. I hope he gets stuck sitting behind some big headed > smelly person :-) P-U Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Fri, 5 Jan 96 16:40:18 MST Subject: TMBG Video Bootleg--status update ============================================================================= TMBG TV Appearances--Master List Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com 1217 N Aspen Dr 01/02/96 Berthoud, CO 80513 ============================================================================= Date Show Songs Time Source -------- ---------- ------------- ---- ------ 07/89 Post Modern MTV Purple Toupee [video] 2nd gen Pat Whistling in the Dark [live] Maybe I Know [live] / Letterbox [live] / Lucky Ball and Chain [live] 03/90 120 Minutes Birdhouse IYS [video] 2nd gen Pat Where Your Eyes Don't Go [acoustic] Particle Man [acoustic] Lincoln Nick Rocks 02/01/91 Tiny Toons #51 Istanbul 0:30 2nd gen Pat 02/01/91 Tiny Toons #51 Particle Man 0:30 2nd gen Pat ??/??/92 Tonight ?? Mike Orsega Flood Tonight Istanbul ?:?? 04/92 120 Minutes The Statue GMH[video] 2nd gen Pat Mammal [live over the credits] 06/92 The Tonight Show The Guitar [live w/Syd Straw] / The Statue GMH [live] 2nd gen Pat 03/93 120 Minutes 2nd gen Pat ??/06/93 120 Minutes Particle Man ?:?? ??/06/93 120 Minutes Where Your EDG ?:?? 08/93 120 Minutes Why Does the SS [live] 2nd gen Pat 10/93 Conan O'Brien Why Does the SS [live] 2nd gen Pat 10/94 120 Minutes The End OT Tour [live] 2nd gen Pat 10/94 120 Minutes Snail Shell [live] 2nd gen Pat ??/10/94 120 Minutes WDTSS ?:?? Erik Swedberg ??/10/94 120 Minutes WDTSS ?:?? ??/10/94 120 Minutes WDTSS ?:?? ??/10/94 Conan O'Brian WDTSS ?:?? ??/??/?? Letterman The Statue GMH ?:?? 01/95 House of Blues 2nd gen Pat ??/01/95 House Of Blues The Guitar ?:?? Erik Swedberg ??/01/95 House Of Blues No One Knows MP ?:?? Erik Swedberg ??/01/95 House Of Blues Istanbul, NC ?:?? Erik Swedberg ??/01/95 House Of Blues ?:?? ??/01/95 House Of Blues ?:?? ??/01/95 House Of Blues ?:?? Ryan Staib ??/??/94 Good Morning Dirt Bike 0:4:45 ??/??/94 John Stewart Snail Shell ?:?? ??/??/?? MTV ?? Snail Shell Live?:?? ??/??/?? MTV The Statue GMH ?:?? Bryan ??/??/?? MTV snail shell ?:?? Bryan ============================================================================= Regular Videos: ============================================================================= 07/89 Post Modern MTV Purple Toupee [video] 2nd gen Pat 03/90 120 Minutes Birdhouse IYS [video] 2nd gen Pat 05/90 Istanbul [video] 2nd gen Pat 04/92 120 Minutes The Statue GMH[video] 2nd gen Pat ??/92 The Guitar [video] 2nd gen Pat 09/94 Snail Shell [video] 2nd gen Pat ??/?? Teletunes Don't Let's Start ============================================================================= Russ Josephson russj@btc.adaptec.com Berthoud, Colorado, USA Embedded Systems Programmer "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jan 96 19:29:00 EST From: jenns@voicenet.com (jenn) Subject: three things 1) yah, the list is back up! 2) i have TMBG on jon stewart doing snail shell and on lettermen doing the statue got me high... 3) i went to the philly show (in the front row... ten feet from John Linnell). i hated the frisk job but i've been there before. i expected it. and the martinis were not that great. jenn ____________________________________________________________________ jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com 'I don't want the world, I just want your half.' -- TMBG ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: philly and NYC Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 21:21:54 -0500 (EST) Hey'all, I was wondering if what cool songs they played at the Tramps show. They played James K. Polk (1st time in 5 years Flans said!), Sensurround, the new She Was a Hotel Detective, and Whirlpool at the Philly show, oh and how late did they play in NY? Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds -------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 19:43:22 -0800 From: alveajo@ix.netcom.com (Jose Alvear) Subject: Re: philly and NYC Actually it seems like they played the same kind of set. At the first show (all ages) They ended with the Polka song...The other show ended with... er, another song. The Famous Polka was pretty neat. They really did it up super fast too. But on both gigs, they played everything you mentioned: new version of Hotel detective (sounds great! with Linnell taking over most of the singing), Sensurround (a great song, wish I had bought the soundtrack), James K. Polk (which seemed to have caught a few fans off guard... very quiet) and of course the best song that night, Whirlpool. It was very well done and I was humming that ditty days later. I wish I could hear the Meat Puppet's version. Oh a question: Were they kidding about their live album being called "Alien Autopsy"? I thought it was gonna be called "Superfueled Freaksickle". Oh well.. Later people... Jose (who is really dying for that super-mega-bootleg video tape jamboree) Alvear alveajo@ix.netcom.com http://pages.prodigy.com/NY/biteme/hikeeba.html You wrote: > >Hey'all, >I was wondering if what cool songs they played at the Tramps show. They played >James K. Polk (1st time in 5 years Flans said!), Sensurround, the new She Was >a Hotel Detective, and Whirlpool at the Philly show, oh and how late did they play >in NY? >Matt >-- >----------------------------------------------------------------------- -------- >Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond >"EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | >"I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash >Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp >Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds >-------The poor remain poor. Someone has to work at Woolworths.---------------- > ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 19:49:09 -0800 From: alveajo@ix.netcom.com (Jose Alvear) Subject: Re: three things You wrote: > >1) yah, the list is back up! >2) i have TMBG on jon stewart doing snail shell and on lettermen doing the >statue got me high... >3) i went to the philly show (in the front row... ten feet from John >Linnell). i hated the frisk job but i've been there before. i expected it. > and the martinis were not that great. During the second NYC NY's Eve show, I had a tiny run in with Pauly Shore lookalike, Brian Doherty. He was coming from the backstage area and went into the huge throng (just before midnight) and went out. I told him he did a super job in the first show. Then a few minutes later, I got a hold of Graham Naby and welcomed him to the band and he was making his way back backstage. (I was near the entrance to the backstage area.) After the show ended, I did a little hello wave to Brian and he smiled and did one back. (I think he likes me!) So that was my run in with two members of the band that night. Jose (I will never wash my hands) Alvear New home page! http://pages.prodigy.com/NY/biteme/hikeeba.html > > >jenn > >____________________________________________________________________ >jenn, a girl with a crown and a scepter >e-mail: jenns@voicenet.com >'I don't want the world, I just want your half.' -- TMBG > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-103 ******************************