From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #12 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Thursday, 28 September 1995 Volume 01 : Number 012 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Jon Mann Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 13:19:21 +0930 (CST) Subject: Re: Only Australian? > > From: Mark Sehler > Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 16:38:00 +1000 (EST) > Subject: mateless in australia > > To everyone in the EMAIL TMBG > > I am a mateless Australian loser that is in like with TMBG music. > As the only Australian on the list i will look forward to the insight > I will be able to bring, discussionally as well as socially. > I am pleased to meet you all. > > From > > Royale with Cheese Ummm, wrong actually. I was here first. I just don't bother writing to the list much (you all seem to be able to rave on quite well without my help). - ------------------------------------------------------------------------ - - Jon 'the Bosch' Mann - "You can fight the sleep but not the dream.. - - - jemann@smug.student. - ..Strange affliction wash over me." - - - adelaide.edu.au - -Crowded House - ------------------------------ From: Mark Sehler Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 14:59:07 +1000 (EST) Subject: AKA driver Hi everyone, Ok I'm appealing to all the TMBG American fan's out there to tell me what the words in the chorus of AKA driver are and what they mean. John Henry obviously had run out of money when he got to printing the words to this song. I say we find John and get him to re edit every copy of his CD and hand write the words in. If that doesn't work them I'm afraid that I will have to send an E-mail Bomb (like a letter bomb) and blow the bejeesus out of him. Oh yeah, help me out with the words if you can. See ya, Royale with Cheese somedays known as Le Big Mac (see web page for why) ------------------------------ From: Mark Sehler Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 15:09:03 +1000 (EST) Subject: no longer a mateless australian loser I'm now a mateless australian loser with mates! Anyway its good to see theres other fans around down here at the arse end of the earth. ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 00:48:57 -0500 (EST) Subject: ils peuvent etre les geantes thats "they might be giants" for those who arent francophones. are there any other people out there from indiana? any one else want to give some translating a try? je me suis assis dans le frein, au bord du parking vide, de le magasin ou ils m'ont permis a jouer l'organe. je ne serai jamais ce que tu trouverai quand tu ouvres ta boite aux lettres demain parce qu'un petit oiseau ne me dit rien elle est m'amie meilleure elle est un moineau. yours in stormy pinkness, soph ------------------------------ From: Particle Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 02:24:31 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: AKA driver On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Mark Sehler wrote: > Hi everyone, Hi Mark. > Ok I'm appealing to all the TMBG American fan's out there to tell me > what the words in the chorus of AKA driver are and what they mean. Ok, in a minute... > John Henry obviously had run out of money when he got to printing the words > to this song. I say we find John and get him to re edit every copy of his > CD and hand write the words in. If that doesn't work them I'm afraid that > I will have to send an E-mail Bomb (like a letter bomb) and blow the bejeesus > out of him. Y'see, eons (or a year and a half) ago, TMBG created a little song called "NyQuil Driver". This was a good song, They thought, but with _NyQuil_ being a trademark and such, they would have been sued if they left that title. So they changed it to "AKA Driver". Why didn't they print the lyrics? Well, since the word "NyQuil" was very prevalent in the lyrics, they felt it was best not to piss off the manufacturer of NyQuil, and they can't get sued if they don't print the lyrics. > Oh yeah, help me out with the words if you can. Sure! AKA (NyQuil) Driver: (parenthesised words are arguable) It's just a full days drive away/ We can't fly like birds in the air/ We could walk but we'd never get there/ It's just a full days drive away/ Big hand's on 120/ Little hand's on E/ Hey, NyQuil driver, it's NyQuil driving time/ Hey, NyQuil driver, get out my lane, get out my way/ It's just a full days drive away/ Hey, NyQuil driver, it's NyQuil driving time/ Hey, NyQuil driver, get out my lane, get out my way/ Get out of my way... Hey, NyQuil driver, it's NyQuil driving time/ Hey, NyQuil driver, get out my lane, get out my way/ Get out of my way... It's just a full days drive away/ Commentary on the Lyrics: Some people say it is "four days drive away." It isn't. Some people say it is "We could fly... ." It isn't Some other people say it is "We can fly... ." It isn't The "get out my lane, get out my way" line could be heard as "get out of my lane, get out of my way" This does make more sense. I don't hear it though. Interpretation: Person on a long car ride. (It's just a full day's drive away) Doesn't have the money for a plane ticket. (We can't fly...) Speeding and low on gas. (Big hand's on 120 [mph]/ Little hand's on E [empty]) Annoyed at the slow (sleepy) (Hey, NyQuil driver, get out of my lane...) drivers who act like they are on NyQuil that's my hearing of the lyrics, and one interpretation... Enjoy! Particle (rgauthie@ic.sunysb.edu)__/_\__ __/_____\__ Truth is Paradox __/_________\__ __/_____________\__ __/ ------------------------------ From: zen kitty Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 01:18:26 -0500 Subject: [none] me and several friends spent a long time harassing all the Latin Scholars we knew (each other) and we have determined that They Might Be Giants in Latin is Existant Fortasse Gigantes. paul ------------------------------ From: Mark Sehler Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 16:39:58 +1000 (EST) Subject: Particle - What products do NyQuil make. To particle all I can say is "Excellent Smythers" but can you tell me what NyQuil makes or what product it is. I envisage that it is a feather pen from the NIKE corporation! From Le Hot Apple Pie mark@planetx.com.au ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:16:18 EST Subject: Re: cha, right > > The sacrament of the Holy Communion is a ritualistic consuming > > of Jesus, represented by wafers and wine. > > Yes indeed, but the prodigal son is not Jesus. See below. Thank You!!!!! I was going crazy here (driving people in the computer lab insane, I might add) screaming about how the prodigal son is not Jesus. The prodigal son is a parable about how God will take sinners back into the fold with open arms (throw themm a party even) Somehow, I doubt Jesus would go around getting drunk and buying any little piece of flesh he could pick up off the street. He seems a much nicer guy than that. And I'm Catholic. So some of us learned it right. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: Ben Allen Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 07:36:20 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: cha, right On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Michael Carr wrote: > > >Hmmmm, I have to disagree here. What if hot-cha is the drunk person. > >Certainly some of us have done things like leaving the stereo on, or cooking > >bacon while away in our inebriated state. They seem like examples of > >irresponsibility that can go along with a drunkard. > > Unfortunatley, it never came back to tell us why. Would this mean that > someone at Elektra Records ahs discovered a Miracle Drunkennes Cure? I > think Hot Cha is just like a person who lots of people looked up to > admired/was the coolest guy in town and then he...vanished. It's not always > a case of stare inot the sublimininal for as long as you can. > By the way if Hot Cha was Jesus, why would we be drinking and cooking the > prodigal son??! I'm sure Jesus doesn't advocate ripping his parables to > shreds. > > ---------------------------------------------------------- > When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harrasment. > When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 a minute. > ---------------------------------------------------------- > Michael Carr > Email: > ----------------------------------------------------------> It's probably referring to that communion thingy. ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:20:20 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: cha, right In the immortal words of The Princess Bridesmaid: >> > The sacrament of the Holy Communion is a ritualistic consuming >> > of Jesus, represented by wafers and wine. >> >> Yes indeed, but the prodigal son is not Jesus. See below. > >Thank You!!!!! I was going crazy here (driving people in the computer >lab insane, I might add) screaming about how the prodigal son is not >Jesus. The prodigal son is a parable about how God will take sinners >back into the fold with open arms (throw themm a party even) Somehow, >I doubt Jesus would go around getting drunk and buying any little >piece of flesh he could pick up off the street. He seems a much nicer >guy than that. I can't believe that no one here seems to get the "joke"... Just because Jesus was not the son in the parable does not necessarily mean that the Johns aren't calling him that for humorous/political reasons ;) > And I'm Catholic. So some of us learned it right. Moi aussi. ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cbongaar@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:26:10 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: your mail In the immortal words of zen kitty: >me and several friends spent a long time harassing all the Latin Scholars we >knew (each other) and we have determined that They Might Be Giants in Latin >is Existant Fortasse Gigantes. That's also what Gloria from Track 13 would say (this also translates to "There may be giants.") If you explicitly specify a subject pronoun, it eliminates the ambiguity. ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cbongaar@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Date: 28 Sep 1995 13:41:00 +0100 Subject: German transl's > From: "Christina (the voice was repeating)" > Date: Wed, 27 Sep 95 15:24:26 EDT > Subject: non sequiturs etc. > how sleepless is the egg knowing that which throws the stone foresees the > bone Wie schlaflos ist das Ei damit Vertraut seinte das was der Stein werft seht der Knochen voraus. Well, the original English is like nonsense to me, so the translation is also. And in Dutch: Hoe slapeloos is het ei, wetende dat wie de steen gooit, de beenderen voorziet. (doesn't make sense, does it?) I just don't understand it. Any interps? ------------------------------ From: Joseph Puscas Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 10:55:38 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: AKA driver On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Mark Sehler wrote: > Hi everyone, > > Ok I'm appealing to all the TMBG American fan's out there to tell me > what the words in the chorus of AKA driver are and what they mean. > John Henry obviously had run out of money when he got to printing the words > to this song. I say we find John and get him to re edit every copy of his > CD and hand write the words in. If that doesn't work them I'm afraid that > I will have to send an E-mail Bomb (like a letter bomb) and blow the bejeesus > out of him. > > Oh yeah, help me out with the words if you can. > > See ya, > > > Royale with Cheese somedays known as Le Big Mac (see web page for why) > Dear Mr. with cheese, Althoug Im not sure what the chorus is I do know why it's not printed. It seems the Johns were afraid of some sort of copyright infringement so they changed the name of the song from NyQuil driver to A. K.A. driver and left the lyrics out of the song. I hope that clears some things up. Huggs and Kittens Spooky Joe ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #12 *****************************************