From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #14 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Thursday, 28 September 1995 Volume 01 : Number 014 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Frankenberry" Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 15:14:45 GMT-5 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #13 > Date sent: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 14:31:48 -0400 > From: owner-tmbg-list@ufp.org > To: tmbg-digest@ussenterprise.ufp.org > Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #13 > Send reply to: tmbg-list@ufp.org > > They Might Be Giants Digest Thursday, 28 September 1995 Volume 01 : Number 013 > > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > From: Matt Powers > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 09:18:14 -0700 (PDT) > Subject: Re: cha, right > > Re-interp of certain lyrics, now that I understand who the prodigal son is: > > If that honey would come back > we would throw such a party > Drink and cook the prodigal son > Fondue forks for everybody. > > Okay, first I thought that the drink and cook referred to wine and dine. > After all, that sort of wordplay is common enough with They. Then > someone pointed out that it might refer to the Communion. So I followed > that train of thought. But now I'm back to "wine and dine." > The prodigal son has not apparently ever referred to Jesus (Christianity > is not my forte', obviously). > BUT I still think the song is about Jesus. Here's my re-interp of the > above lyrics: > If Jesus came back > We'd throw a big party > We'd even celebrate the return of the prodigal son, because Jesus would > be back in town. > Fondue forks for everybody > > See, I think the idea is that nobody celebrates the return of the > prodigal son anymore. But if Jesus returned, people would be as > forgiving as the father (God) in the parable. > And even the people we didn't like could have some fondue. > > How's that for a quick recovery? > > m@t > > > ------------------------------ > > From: Robert Bird > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:15:22 -0400 (EDT) > Subject: Re: cha, right > > At 10:16 AM 9/28/95 -0500, you wrote:>> > >> Yes indeed, but the prodigal son is not Jesus. See below. > > > >Thank You!!!!! I was going crazy here (driving people in the computer > >lab insane, I might add) screaming about how the prodigal son is not > >Jesus. The prodigal son is a parable about how God will take sinners > >back into the fold with open arms (throw themm a party even) Somehow, > >I doubt Jesus would go around getting drunk and buying any little > >piece of flesh he could pick up off the street. He seems a much nicer > >guy than that. > > And I'm Catholic. So some of us learned it right. > > > >Cathy > > > > You're right, the BIBLICAL prodigal son was not Jesus. Ah, but could the > prodigal son being referred to in the song be Him? He DID go away > (according to the bible), and I would assume that there would be some > celebration upon his return. The assumption that Hot Cha = Jesus seems > (IMHO) to make the rest of the song fall right into place. Going away > (twice), everybody's eyes being closed, drinking and cooking, they all seem > to make sense in that context. I'm sure all of this has already been said, > but I just wanted to point out that some of us with this interpretation also > "learned it right". :) > > Bob > - -- > (c)1995 Robert Bird rbird@utk.edu http://cobweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird > University of Tennessee, Knoxville Materials Science and Engineering > I speak only for myself and a few other selected split personalities. > THIS DISCLAIMER IS NOT REQUIRED BY LEADER KIBO. beable beable beable > > > ------------------------------ > > From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 12:33:18 EDT > Subject: Re: Particle - What products do NyQuil make. > > > all I can say is "Excellent Smythers" but can you tell me > > what NyQuil makes or what product it is. > > Well Nyquil is a cough syurp. But I don't know what a Nyquil driver is..... > > ------------------------------ > > From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 12:35:02 EDT > Subject: Re: cha, right > > Somehow, > > I doubt Jesus would go around getting drunk and buying any little > > piece of flesh he could pick up off the street. > > But I thought he was a big fan of wine. > > ------------------------------ > > From: zen kitty > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 11:47:53 -0500 > Subject: Re: Particle - What products do NyQuil make. > > At 12:33 PM 9/28/95 EDT, you wrote: > >> all I can say is "Excellent Smythers" but can you tell me > >> what NyQuil makes or what product it is. > > > >Well Nyquil is a cough syurp. But I don't know what a Nyquil driver is..... > > > > Nyquil, the nighttime snuffuling sneezing aching stuffyhead fever so you can > rest medicine, has the effect of virtually knocking you out cold. It > contains a large ammount of alcohol, and puts you to sleep very fast when > you take it. So, if you put away a bottle of Nyquil before heading out on > the road, it would probably affect your driving. If you saw a Nyquil driver > coming towards you in the other lane, you'd probably want him to get out > your way. > > paul > > > ------------------------------ > > From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:56:20 EST > Subject: Re: cha, right > > > You're right, the BIBLICAL prodigal son was not Jesus. Ah, but could the > > prodigal son being referred to in the song be Him? He DID go away > > (according to the bible), and I would assume that there would be some > > celebration upon his return. The assumption that Hot Cha = Jesus seems > > (IMHO) to make the rest of the song fall right into place. Going away > > (twice), everybody's eyes being closed, drinking and cooking, they all seem > > to make sense in that context. I'm sure all of this has already been said, > > but I just wanted to point out that some of us with this interpretation also > > "learned it right". :) > > > > Bob > > My problem was not with people saying, for interp's sake, that the > Johns were referring to the prodigal son as Jesus, but that people > were saying the prodigal son WAS Jesus, when Jesus was the one > telling the story. But also, assuming that Hot Cha=Jesus is different > than the prodigal son=Jesus. There is nothing in the song to make one > say "oh! so Hot Cha is the prodigal son" unless you go with Ben's > theory that "drink and cook" means wine and dine. If you subscribe to > the communion theory, that brings up the Prodigal son=Jesus thing > that I have a problem with. > Basically what that long explanation means is that I don't agree > with the most recent theory that "drink and cook the prodigal son" > is referring to the Catholic belief in transubstantiation. I think > that there is a logic problem there. > I'll go and listen intently to Hot Cha tonight, and see if I can > come up with something better, to use as an alternative. (could > always be referring to canabalism) > > Cathy > ******************************************** > "I am not the only dust my mother raised" > They Might Be Giants > > Catherine Gurry > > catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu > ********************************************* > > ------------------------------ > > From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:57:38 EST > Subject: Re: cha, right > > > Somehow, > > > I doubt Jesus would go around getting drunk and buying any little > > > piece of flesh he could pick up off the street. > > > > But I thought he was a big fan of wine. > > > Everybody back then drank wine because it was safer than the water. > The key is Moderation. Remember, Gluttony is one of the seven deadly > sins. > > Cathy > ******************************************** > "I am not the only dust my mother raised" > They Might Be Giants > > Catherine Gurry > > catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu > ********************************************* > > ------------------------------ > > From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 13:04:54 EDT > Subject: NyQuil and other topics > > > > > all I can say is "Excellent Smythers" but can you tell me > > what NyQuil makes or what product it is. > > > > I envisage that it is a feather pen from the NIKE corporation! > > > I'll speak up on this one if that's okay. > NyQuil is a nighttime anti-histamine/decongestant. > It really knocks some people on their butts -- there > is now DayQuil which is less soporific. > > If anyone needs detailed info on these or any products > made by Procter and Gamble, just ask. My wife works there > and has easy access to a staggering amount of info on their > products. > > Opinion: I think P&G has a little more to worry about > than a cute little song by our two heros. Just off the top of > my head: lawsuit against Bankers Trust for mismanaged > securities; lawsuit against Business week for right to > publish facts re: previous lawsuit; continuing tangles > with animal rights groups re: product testing; continuing > PR campaign to combat wackos who say the company is run by > Satanists... The list goes on. But, hey, I'm not a lawyer > nor do I play one on TV, so feel free to take that all with a > grain of salt. > > - -- > > John J. Pletikapich john@msd.measurex.com > > ------------------------------ > > From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 13:00:54 EST > Subject: Re: cha, right > > > I can't believe that no one here seems to get the "joke"... Just > > because Jesus was not the son in the parable does not necessarily mean > > that the Johns aren't calling him that for humorous/political reasons ;) > > That's absolutely true. My problem is that it sounded like people > weren't assuming that it was yet another example of the Johns having > fun with christianity, but that this was really true. I have no > problem with your assumption, except that I still don't get the joke. > > Sorry I keep going off on this, but my priest just used that parable > in church like last week, so it's very fresh in my mind. > > Cathy > ******************************************** > "I am not the only dust my mother raised" > They Might Be Giants > > Catherine Gurry > > catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu > ********************************************* > > ------------------------------ > > From: Paul Leonard > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:07:48 -0500 > Subject: Re: Particle - What products do NyQuil make. > > At 04:39 PM 9/28/95 +1000, Mark Sehler wrote: > >all I can say is "Excellent Smythers" but can you tell me > >what NyQuil makes or what product it is. > > Well, I'm not particle, but i DO know what NyQUil is -- > it's the > nighttime sniffling > sneezig > coughing > aching > stuffy-head > fever > so you can rest medicine. > > (it also contains a fair amount of alcohol in its liquid form.) > > paul > > - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- > - ----- > [BBC] Is it true that you're a connoisseur of the classics? > [George Harrison] No. It's just a rumor. > > > ------------------------------ > > From: Particle > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 13:17:09 -0400 (EDT) > Subject: Re: Particle - What products do NyQuil make. > > On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, zen kitty wrote: > > > At 12:33 PM 9/28/95 EDT, you wrote: > > >> all I can say is "Excellent Smythers" but can you tell me > > >> what NyQuil makes or what product it is. > > > > > >Well Nyquil is a cough syurp. But I don't know what a Nyquil driver is..... > > > > > > > Nyquil, the nighttime snuffuling sneezing aching stuffyhead fever so you can > > rest medicine, has the effect of virtually knocking you out cold. It > > contains a large ammount of alcohol, and puts you to sleep very fast when > > you take it. So, if you put away a bottle of Nyquil before heading out on > > the road, it would probably affect your driving. If you saw a Nyquil driver > > coming towards you in the other lane, you'd probably want him to get out > > your way. > > > > paul > > What he said. :) > > Particle (rgauthie@ic.sunysb.edu)__/_\__ > __/_____\__ > Truth is Paradox __/_________\__ > __/_____________\__ > > > ------------------------------ > > From: Matthew James > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 13:52:58 -0400 (EDT) > Subject: Re: Particle - What products do NyQuil make. > > > > > To particle > > > > all I can say is "Excellent Smythers" but can you tell me > > what NyQuil makes or what product it is. > > > > I envisage that it is a feather pen from the NIKE corporation! > Hey hey, > Don't have any Nyquil down there in Oz? I like the feather pen from > NIKE idea, that's funny. > Actually, Nyquil is a product of some company (I can't remember who) and > it is the stuffy head, aching, headache relieving cold medicine that > makes you VERY drowsy. > What is "Excellent Smythers"? (is that like Mr. Smythers from the Simpsons > or something like that?) > Talk to ya later. > > - -- > - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG > "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order > - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > ------------------------------ > > From: Russ Josephson x722 > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 11:57:02 MDT > Subject: Super-Fueled Freaksicle > > SUBJECT: They Might Be Giants > > TO: tmbg-list FROM: Russ Josephson > 1217 N Aspen Dr. > Berthoud, CO 80513-1040 > HOME: 970-532-0453 > > WORK: 303-516-4722 > DATE: 09/28/95 FAX: 303-581-1088 > FILE: EMAIL: russj@btc.adaptec.com > > =============================================================================== > > > > It's too bad that the 2nd B-sides compilation was shelved. > I was eagerly waiting to purchase it. > I'm still not going to buy "Why does the sun shine" EP, although > I love the song. It is available in lo-fi mono on the TMBG > web site as an .au file. > > By the way, last Doctor Demento played the original version > of "Why Does the Sun Shine" by Tom Glazer > on his show of September 10, 1995, > as well as "Particle Man", which is on his 25th anniversary > double-CD release on Rhino records. > > ------------------------------ > > From: Keith Hyman > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 13:32:25 -0500 (CDT) > Subject: Back to Boat of Car > > Ben or Been suggests the following be interpreted if possible. I agree it is > somewhat daunting in its nonsense, but here goes: > (Lyrics as provided by his truly, B or B:) > > >I took my boat for a car > > I took by boat (and traded it in) for a car > > >I took my car for a ride > > (Speaks for itself.) > > >I was trying to get somewhere but now I'm following > >The traces of your fingernails > >That run along the winshield on the > >Boat of Car > > I was trying to get somewhere (i.e., I was driving my (new) car but now (my > eyes) follow > The marks your fingernails made on the (not-so-clean) windshield on my (was > boat, now) car. > > Okay, fine. But how did the fingernail marks get on the windshield? And I > don't have the disk insert here to check further for lyrics. Alright, you > needed to yawn anyway. > > ================================================================================ > Keith Hyman | Nobody tells; everyone understands it's everybody > Nashville TN 37221 USA | For Nobody. Anyone for anybody? > hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| I will be responsible For Nobody. > | ...Gentle Giant/The Missing Piece > > ------------------------------ > > End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #13 > ***************************************** > > ___________________________________________________________________ H E Y E V E R Y B O D Y ! L O O K M Y W A Y ! H E Y E V E R Y ! "...and if you're B F So here's to us all still around then O R who were born too late... we'll meet at the D A END OF THE TOUR." Y N ...and here's to the promise -tmbg ! K of a life alone... E G N CREEPY GIRL is truth. Those ...you've blessed us O B who do not accept it are condemned. with such comfort E TOM SERVO is the prophet. in knowing... A R W R ...LOVE IS A DEAD LANGUAGE A Y "Stay out of that pot, CHIMP!" - Uncle Androo Y ! Y R R E B N E K N A R F M ' I ! E S A E L P ! E S A E L P ! ------------------------------ From: "Frankenberry" Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 15:27:33 GMT-5 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #13 Okay, I think I did something really bad, like I might have just posted this last digest in it's entirety. I hope someone catches it, but if it does not get caught, I truly and humbly apologize. Now, on with what I intended to do before I messed up. I wanted to comment on the "Boat of Car" interps. Mr. Beeny, suggests it's nonsense. Far from it. Working from the interp of Mr. Keith Hyman: > >I took my boat for a car > > I took by boat (and traded it in) for a car Almost. If you and indeed TAKING a boat, and are taking it FOR the car, it must mean you've traded the car in for the boat. > >I took my car for a ride > > (Speaks for itself.) Correct, except we must remember he's already traded in the car. The singer is trying to reclaim his car, thus not fulfilling his part of the trade. > >I was trying to get somewhere but now I'm following > >The traces of your fingernails > >That run along the winshield on the > >Boat of Car As the former future car owner sees the now owner of both a boat and a car driving away in what should rightfully be his car, he jumps onto the hood and hangs on. The driver accelerates so quickly that the man is swept from the front, the only things remaining are the marks his fingernails left in the windshield, created by his attempt to hang on. Oh, and I love you all. Frank ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #14 *****************************************