From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #16 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Monday, 2 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Myke Weiskopf Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 00:41:00 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Reasons to be Blue > (Printed Dental Flanada) "Flanada"? Is that the name for the place you go, when you go into the Nirvana-like state induced by listening to Flansburgh's golden tonsils? ------------------------------ From: Matt Powers Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 02:05:13 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Insolent pretender responds > >I'm sorry if I quoted the wrong person. I thought it was one of the > >Ben's who was talking about "drink and cook" being "wine and dine" > > I'll remember you M@t, I'm sorry. > > Was I a party to this conversation at some point? I'm quite confused > about all of this now, because I don't remember *ever* theorizing about > Hot Cha (or saying "'cause"). Am I becoming senile, or is there some > insolent pretender to my appellation lurking out there??? > > m@t > Sigh. I was a party to the conversation. And, to this point, I had no idea that I was an insolent pretender. I just made my sig that way, 'cause my friend Amanda's sig is "am&a" and I thought it was neat to use those misunderstood symbols of western culture. Would everyone be happier if I called myself Marvin? m@t ------------------------------ From: Matt Powers Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 02:09:06 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Handle Pincher > Hiya, all! > I just wanted to add to this seemingly pointless thread by saying that this > handle stealing/posting in someone else's name is just getting waaaay out > of hand. > You don't know how many times I've opened Eudora to find hate mail for me, > for something that I never said. (I won't even begin to theorize how many > "rabid Child"'s there are( on AOL alone I count seven!!!!!) > Just wanted to point out that if you have something to say, do it in your > own name.(And I've had this handle for YEARS.) > -Rabid Child > I'll defend myself again, just to be perfectly clear on this point: I stole no handles. But to avoid further confusion, m@t "the possibly not original" will now be known as Marvin of 41 ------------------------------ From: Particle Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 05:03:59 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: What! On Thu, 28 Sep 1995 Phoenix777@aol.com wrote: > Did someone mention that "Freaksicle" isn't going to be released? The thought > frightens me more than I'd like to say. A normal AOLer! My god! :) I heard postponed indefinitely i.e. no idea when it'll be ready. Or January release. Particle (rgauthie@ic.sunysb.edu)__/_\__ Web page under __/_____\__ Construction Truth is Paradox __/_________\__ http://www.ug.cs.sunysb.edu/ __/_____________\__ ~gauthier ------------------------------ From: Benjamin Hauck Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 12:11:22 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Reasons to be Blue If you wish to better understand being Blue, Please, please read William Gass's _On Being Blue_. It's a great read. And this guy can write. And he includes ideas about cursing and about sex in literature. Love being blue, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: Benjamin Hauck Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 12:15:44 -0400 (EDT) Subject: A shad from the Hudson Ben or Been here, smellin' something fishy. Yes, in "O Do Not Forsake Me," the singers are not warped versions of Flans and Linny, but the group Hudson Shad. A Hudson shad is a type of fish (or so the name suggests), but I don't know if it's a real-life fish. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has an album of theirs, or has seen them in concert or whatnot. I'd never heard of them until JH. As always, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 12:32:03 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Digest Archive Available Back issues of the digest are now available for ftp from ftp.tmbg.org, in the directory /pub/tmbg-digest.archive. They are archived by digest volume and issue number, but by the date on the file you can tell when they were sent out. I'll be putting up a web interface (with search capabilities) in the near future. - -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 12:41:09 -0400 Subject: Re: asons to be blue In a message dated 95-09-30 23:49:58 EDT, you write: >: 12. Word Perfect 4.2, the best-selling word processor ever, is blue by >: default. > > Best sellling doesn't mean the best... Ami Pro forever! You'll be happy to know, I wrote it in Ami Pro. > >: 13. The Sky is Blue > > Not in New Jersey Okay, You're right. > >: 20. There's a Blue Room in the White House. > > The Blue Room is also the secret room in the Patterson Army Base > in New Mexico, where they allegedly store the remains of aliens > found in the Roswell crash. Hmm...my dad's been there....he never told me what he was doing there. > >: 24. Rush Limbaugh's Book,SEE I TOLD YOU SO, has a blue cover. > > Oh, great. And he'll also be blue when he takes a dirt nap > after eating one too many tuna mayonnaise sandwiches. He won't die, he'll just fade away. > >: 30. The US. Postal service is blue. > > It also sucks. Okay, Fedex is blue. > >: 31. Those cute MetLife commercials with the Peanuts, end in a blue >: screen. > > You also get a bluescreen when your VCR eats your video > tapes and starts smoking. Yeah, that happened to me the other night while trying to record TMBG on house of blues. > >: 40. Toilet Water can be easily made blue. > > Depending on how many drinks you have. After finals, I can make it blue every time. > >: 49. The Lettering on the Absolut Vodka bottle is blue. > > And it rearranges itself to spell 'JESUS SAVES' when you drink > too much of it. Never looked at it that way. > >: 51. Pat's (SNL) shirt is blue. > > And her movie was directed by Adam Bernstein! Haven't seen it. and wouldn't it be IT'S movie was directed by Adam Bernstein? > >: 53. Blueberry muffins taste great. > > That depends. I'm talking about homemade ones...not the ones out of a vending machine. > >: 59. The U. S. News and World Report Cover is blue. > > Yeah! USNWR! But the New York Times is still better... I get the Washington Post.... > >: 61. Donald Duck wears blue. > > Yeah, but he also walks around without pants on. All hail his bravery. > >: 67. The Sky is Blue. > > Not again... Had to emphasize this point.....you saw the notice at the top: THIS IS A BETA VERSION. > >: 70. Some stars are blue. > > Yeah! Just look at Michael Jackson! (He's more of a sickly > indigo colour...) Who said he was still a star? > >: 74. Iodine turns a saltine cracker blue. > > Nice scientific bent. Thanks. > >: 79. Mr. Blobby is Pink. > > And thank g-d we don't hear from Him anymore... > Blobby, blobby, blobby! Yeeeesh... It was great when he snapped Larry King's suspenders. > >: 100. TMBG's first album has a picture of a Big Blue Dog on the front. > > As well as 1,000,000 pink objects. Yeah, but none of them have the Johns on their back! ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 13:01:55 -0600 Subject: Re: Forward: Re: cha, right >for something that I never said. (I won't even begin to theorize how many >"rabid Child"'s there are( on AOL alone I count seven!!!!!) >Just wanted to point out that if you have something to say, do it in your >own name.(And I've had this handle for YEARS.) >-Rabid Child I won't drop my Realms name for YOU, sir! :-) Nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat. ****************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 13:11:27 -0600 Subject: Re: Digest Archive Available > Back issues of the digest are now available for ftp >from ftp.tmbg.org, in the directory /pub/tmbg-digest.archive. Are you sure that site name was registered properly? I can mail to tmbg.org just fine, but my name server can't seem to find ftp.tmbg.org to save its life. - --Jon ****************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 13:01:32 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Digest Archive Available > > Back issues of the digest are now available for ftp > >from ftp.tmbg.org, in the directory /pub/tmbg-digest.archive. > > Are you sure that site name was registered properly? I can mail to tmbg.org > just fine, but my name server can't seem to find ftp.tmbg.org to save its > life. You try too fast. :-) I added the name to my nameserver, but it only propogates to the secondary nameserver every hour...so, an hour after I enter it you can see it. That should be in about 25 more minutes. :-) - -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 12:21:53 -0500 Subject: Re: Insolent pretender responds Marvin of 41 writes: >Sigh. I was a party to the conversation. And, to this point, I had no >idea that I was an insolent pretender. I just made my sig that way, >'cause my friend Amanda's sig is "am&a" and I thought it was neat to use >those misunderstood symbols of western culture. Would everyone be >happier if I called myself Marvin? I would be:-) >I'll defend myself again, just to be perfectly clear on this point: I >stole no handles. Just to clarify, I didn't seriously mean to accuse anyone of stealing my "handle" or of impersonating me. I was just shocked to see something attributed to the name which, to the best of my knowledge, has been unique to me for the past few years. I suppose that it was inevitable. (Sorry about the "insolent pretender" comment; my tongue was in my cheek when I wrote it, but I'm not sure that it really came across that way.) But hey, how could I have any hard feelings toward someone who is obviously so brilliantly creative?;-) You are not missing out on much, at any rate, as the vast majority of people I encounter just don't get "m@t" - those symbols of Western culture truly are misunderstood. m@t p.s. One final word from the Spooky Parallel Department: My friend Miranda's sig is "mir&a"... ------------------------------ From: Robert Bird Date: Sun, 01 Oct 1995 16:18:19 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Digest Archive Available At 01:01 PM 10/1/95 -0400, you wrote: > You try too fast. :-) > > I added the name to my nameserver, but it only propogates >to the secondary nameserver every hour...so, an hour after I enter >it you can see it. That should be in about 25 more minutes. :-) > I still get "can't get host entry" as of 16:00. I admit I don't know how it works, but wouldn't it have to be recognized by *MY* nameserver for me to be able to find it? Can you give us an IP number instead? Bob (who is wondering why he'd want digests anyway, as he subscribed to the insta-list in order to avoid them) :) - -- (c)1995 Robert Bird rbird@utk.edu http://cobweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird University of Tennessee, Knoxville Materials Science and Engineering These views are not the views of the University of Tennessee, a fact which should be blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain. ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Sun, 01 Oct 1995 15:27:17 -0500 Subject: digest archives Well, it's 15:30 CDT, and I just accessed the archives -- they appear to be up and running (for those of you who want back issues). paul Paul Leonard pleonard@mail.utexas.edu pleonard@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu UT can get its own opinions -- these are mine. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check out my HomePage! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~pleonard ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 16:38:36 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Digest Archive Available > I still get "can't get host entry" as of 16:00. I admit I don't know how it > works, but wouldn't it have to be recognized by *MY* nameserver for me to be > able to find it? Can you give us an IP number instead? I just tried it from some accounts I have at DEC, and in california, and it seems to be working just fine. You should be able to see that name anywhere on the internet now. If you haven't noticed yet, tmbg.org == ufp.org. ufp.org (United Federation of Planets) is my own domain, I got tmbg.org so it would be easier to remember for the mailing list people and all. That means ftp.ufp.org gets you to the same place and all that jazz. PLEASE NOTE! Do not rely on them pointing to the same place. Some time in the near future (1-2 months) they will point to different machines. - -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Sun, 01 Oct 1995 15:36:01 -0500 Subject: archives? I think at least one of the files in the archive are messed up -- I download what I thought was volume 1, issue 1, and I got what appears to be the rerouting script for the list. Leo, you might want to check this out. The file name was v01.n001, and it looked, in places, something like this: >:pa#32768:ba#8192:fa#1024:\ :pb#131632:bb#8192:fb#1024:\ paul Paul Leonard pleonard@mail.utexas.edu pleonard@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu UT can get its own opinions -- these are mine. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check out my HomePage! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~pleonard ------------------------------ From: "Ben Allen" Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 13:49:49 +0000 Subject: Re: asons to be blue > >: 100. TMBG's first album has a picture of a Big Blue Dog on the > >front. > > > > As well as 1,000,000 pink objects. > ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 16:57:22 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: archives? > I think at least one of the files in the archive are messed up -- I download > what I thought was volume 1, issue 1, and I got what appears to be the > rerouting script for the list. Leo, you might want to check this out. The > file name was v01.n001, and it looked, in places, something like this: > > >:pa#32768:ba#8192:fa#1024:\ > :pb#131632:bb#8192:fb#1024:\ When I was setting up the digest I needed to test it, so I sent it /etc/disktab (a long ASCII file) to force a digest to be created. v01.n001 is all test garbage, but it's right test garbage. - -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Sun, 01 Oct 1995 17:22:27 -0500 Subject: Re: archives? At 04:57 PM 10/1/95 -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote: > v01.n001 is all test garbage, but it's right test >garbage. thanks for clearing that up. Paul Leonard pleonard@mail.utexas.edu pleonard@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu UT can get its own opinions -- these are mine. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check out my HomePage! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~pleonard ------------------------------ From: "Christina (lucky ball & chain)" Date: Sun, 01 Oct 95 19:24:37 EDT Subject: more and more etc.--wahoo! Hello again everyone... Well, I'm going to save all of your email accounts from the daily deluge that floods mine by not reposting all the messages I'm commenting on-- we all read the same stuff and if you don't know what I'm talking about below (and you wouldn't be the first), well, then, consider it an inside joke that probably should just be let go. (nice passive construction) Anyway, here goes: Russ Josephson: Even though you aren't planning on buying the Why Does the Sun Shine? cd, you should listen to it, as there is a quite wonderful cover of the Allman Bros.' Jessica that I love on it--yeah, do it just for me :) Neil Bert:nice additional line :) Jennifer Parker: I will join you in your wooziness after my donation this week as well Dustin Miller: I must say what an excellent way to end your letter--a Frank Zappa quote and a line from my Favorite episode of my Favorite television show (Fawlty Towers)--great choices! Sean Bergeron: I also disagree with your #24 reason, but Myke Weiskopf made a nice adjustment to it. (cute list, btw) EVERYONE: I don't know how many concert tapings are floating around out there amongst you, but I would be VERY happy to get a copy of the April Yale concert--I probably screamed loud enough at that show to actually make it on the tape. Thank You! Happy Sunday, all. ...more coffee for me boss because I'm not as messed up as I want to be... ------------------------------ From: Neil Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 20:35:45 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: more and more etc.--wahoo! On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, Christina (lucky ball & chain) wrote: > Neil Bert:nice additional line :) I must now reveal that this line (the 'find you under the kitchen table' Nyquil line, for those who, like me, had no clue what I said at first) is actually penned by none other than my semi-ex girlfriend. - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Neil Kelly neilbert@neilbert.nai.net abf8@maristb.marist.edu - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Write subscribe@neilbert.nai.netme for info on my mailing list - coming soon! (Mostly Pointless, But Possibly Amusing, if I so feel.) ------------------------------ From: ntodd@moose.uvm.edu Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 21:45:01 -0400 (EDT) Subject: James Ensor Hi, my name is Nathan Todd and I'm a tmbgaholic. heheh My favorite TMBG album is The Pink one, i was very dissapointed at the small amount of Pink and Lincoln the giants played when i saw Them live this Febuary in Burlington, VT. I've been into they might be giants for a while, got to know their music through flood, as many giants fans probably have. A friend received the flood cd from a friend of his (obviously a very cool one with impecable musical tastes) for his birthday. We listened to a bit of it and were immediately enthralled by Birdhouse, Istanbul, and particle man. It took almost no time for the album to be far and beyond our favorite album of all time. Next thing we know, four years down the road, we are making a trip to a record store in Burlington, vt, and John Henry was ours. John Henry was immediately recognized as something totaly different than anything the Johns had done in the past: from the scary-looking girl on the cover to the new full band, we didn't know what to expect. John Henry sounded good from the start, but it didn't catch as our favorite album right off as each prior one had in its turn. No matter what one thinks of the album as a whole, it has some really great tracks. Subliminal, No One Knows My Plan, Out of Jail, Destination Moon; there are many very good songs on there. Meet James Ensor is currently one of my favorites on JH, it seems to be closer to the pre-JH tmbg style. James Ensor himself must be rather interesting, I really don't know very much about him, but the song paints a very odd picture indeed. On a trip to NYC last year I saw some of his paintings at the Museum of Modern Art. Also, he was mentioned breifly in a class at school once. Does anyone know any more about him? Nathan Todd Irc's flamboyant Linnel ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 21:20:00 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #12 On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Anna Bednarski wrote: > HI, THERE! (Say it in a Freddy Washington vioce -- it's funnier) > > Soph says: > >are there any other people out there from indiana? > >any one else want to give some translating a try? > > Talk about non sequiters!! Are we assuming that people from Indiana > can't be considerate or cultured enough to learn other languages, or even > wise enough to like TMBG?? Of COURSE they can! I do both, as do many > people here at Indiana University. We're not as hick as we seem. (OK, > we did have "Tractor Day" at my high school, but hey -- I've moved on...) > > There's at least one other person on this list from Indiana (that DJ > dude from Goshen). I've been waiting for Linnell to finish his State > Songs -- I'd love to see Indiana's song. (Anyone heard anything on this?) > People from Indiana UNITE FOR TMBG!!! WE LOVE YOU!! > PLEASE COME TO SOMEPLACE CLOSER THAN CHICAGO TO SEE US, JOHN & JOHN!! > > Anna(-maniacs, to go with the current TMBG-Animaniacs thread) > > *************************************************************************** > Anna Bednarski Internet: abednars@indiana.edu > Ashton-Mottier T216 Bloomington, IN 47406 > World Wide Web -- http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~abednars/home.html > ************"Minimum WAGE --- HYAH!!!" (They Might Be Giants)************** > > Hi, greetings and salutations from me here at Indiana University. I am responding to these pleas for help in bonding together in the name of tmbg. Yes, I too am from indiana, and I am most certainly not a hick. I just got on this tmbg-list, and I know little about this computer business, so i hope this gets to everybody. ANyway, I just wanted to say hi, and. . . .well, hi. - -Absolutely Aimee's Mood (Aimee Pflieger) (apfliege@indiana.edu) ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 20:52:12 -0700 Subject: Re: What! >On Thu, 28 Sep 1995 Phoenix777@aol.com wrote: >A normal AOLer! My god! :) >Particle (rgauthie@ic.sunysb.edu) >Truth is Paradox Hey!!! Some of my best friends are AOLers!!!8o) - -Rabid Child (One more thing! I now have a jingle!) "No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RAAAAH! Rabid Child!!!" ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 22:18:28 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: asons to be blue somebody else has Ami Pro? Oh joy, no one here does, and everybody thought I jsut named a program after myself. - -Absolutely Aimee's Mood (apfliege@indiana.edu) ------------------------------ From: Sara Lloyd Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 22:29:13 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: oop, XTC, and ska On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Young Jedi Paul wrote: > go there and I feel kinda silly so forgive me for that. Second I have a > question about XTC. I heard a long time ago that TMBG did a song of > theirs for a tribute ablum for XTC. Did that ever happen? And finally I Last I heard, the XTC tribute album is due out Oct. 17. Though I have heard some debate about *which* XTC song TMBG was covering, I haven't heard anything contradicting that there would be a TMBG cover on the album. sara ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 22:36:05 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: James Ensor James Ensor. Let me see. I read a book about the man once. And then I told my friend Sophie about him. His work is very dark and dismal, and sometimes it includes circus characters and weird women. But I really don't remember very much. I think the song is a good resource. Remember that one commercial about Library Week with that little kid that goes, "Books. . . check 'em ouuuuuuuuuuuut." Good advice! - -Absolutely Aimee's Mood (apfliege@indiana.edu) ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 22:51:20 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: James Ensor aimee you are so full of crap! for all you readers out there, here is the scoop on James Ensor. I( the Sophie in question in the following letter) did a speech on him for class my senior year. here goes: hes from belgium , of course, and in his time was considered very eccentric, and really wierd. anyway, his pictures contain skulls, circus masks, and other such fanciful things. Why you ask? Well, when he was just a young tot, his mother owned a sort of stand, kind of like a permanent garage sale. Anyway, she sold the strange items that would later appear in her sons work. he belonged to an elite group of artists called "Les Vingts", but got kicked out after a while because one of his paintings was just too darned wierd. so then, after being rejected by all his peers etc., he returned home to live with his mom and all he did was rtepaint all the stuff he had done before. just like in the song. and mr. ensor wasnt an outdoorsey type either, the only time he ever left his home town was for two or three years to go to some academy. pretty good for not having my nores, no? so anyway dearest aimme, love of my life, bringer of joy, YOU didnt tell me about him. I think it was the other way around. Lets be fair here. Anyway, am I still staying at your place tonight? On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, aimee elisabeth pflieger wrote: > James Ensor. Let me see. I read a book about the man once. And then I > told my friend Sophie about him. His work is very dark and dismal, and > sometimes it includes circus characters and weird women. But I really > don't remember very much. I think the song is a good resource. Remember that > one commercial about Library Week with that little kid that goes, > "Books. . . check 'em ouuuuuuuuuuuut." Good advice! > > > -Absolutely Aimee's Mood > (apfliege@indiana.edu) > ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Sun, 1 Oct 1995 23:11:16 -0500 (EST) Subject: aimee i would like to post a general apology to Aimee Elisabeth Pflieger, of the TMBG mailing list. SHes wonderful, and did not deserve the rip I gave her in my last message. Write her! Youll see what a peach she is. Sorry Aimee. soph ------------------------------ From: 924304@xavier.xu.edu Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 7:38:40 -0400 (EDT) Subject: RE: more and more etc.--wahoo! About the WDTTS EP...I bought it and I love the cover of the Allman Brother's "Jessica". It's also got a little different version of "Spy" on it. Now if I could just find that "Back to Skull" Ep.... Ziggy ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 10:23:34 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Reasons to be Blue the BLUES BROTHERS Blue Smarties make your mouth feel funny Queen Elizabeth looks good in blue The Swiss Miss girl has blue ribbons in her hair - -Absolutely Aimee's Mood ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 09:15:24 -0700 Subject: XTC Testimonial Dinner Young Jedi Paul (Paul Stysley) asks: > > I have a >question about XTC. I heard a long time ago that TMBG did a song of >theirs for a tribute ablum for XTC. Did that ever happen? _Testimonial Dinner_, the XTC tribute album produced by David Yazbek, is scheduled for release in the United States on 17 October. The album is rumoured to include They Might Be Giants covering the song "25 O'Clock" from the first Dukes of Stratosphear EP by the same name. The album will be released by Thirsty Ear Records, which in the past has been distributed by Sony (read "wide availability"). By the way, David Yazbek's album _The Laughing Man_ is quite excellent and might appeal to lovers of They. Very pop, ofttimes absurd, and thoroughly enjoyable. Buy or die! -- John - -- You're telling me there are these people who live in round felt huts, they are called Kurds, they live in yurts, they milk yaks, and they make youghurt? Naaahhh... ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 2 Oct 95 11:48:20 MDT Subject: James Ensor From my encyclopedia: Ensor, James Ensor, Baron, 1860-1949, Belgian painter and etcher. Containing bizarre and powerful imagery, his early work, such as the nightmarish Entry of Christ into Brussels (1888), was rejected as scandalous. He produced his most inventive and original works, with weird, often gruesome compositions, until about 1900. Among his masterpieces is The Temptation of St. Anthony (Mus. Mod. Art, N.Y.C.). His sources included the grotesque fantasies of BOSCH and BRUEGEL. Ensor was one of the great innovators of the 19th cent.; his art opened the way for SURREALISM. The Concise Columbia Encyclopedia is licensed from Columbia University Press. Copyright ) 1991 by Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 14:42:12 EST Subject: Re: Reasons to be blue > >: 30. The US. Postal service is blue. > > > > It also sucks. > Okay, Fedex is blue. UPS is better, and they're brown, should we call it the brown album? > > > >: 31. Those cute MetLife commercials with the Peanuts, end in a blue > >: screen. > > > > You also get a bluescreen when your VCR eats your video > > tapes and starts smoking. > Yeah, that happened to me the other night while trying to record TMBG on > house of blues. If you would like a copy of that, contact me. I have one, and I also have access to high tech copying equipment. > > > > >: 40. Toilet Water can be easily made blue. > > > > Depending on how many drinks you have. > After finals, I can make it blue every time. It can be made green too. What's your point? > >: 51. Pat's (SNL) shirt is blue. > > > > And her movie was directed by Adam Bernstein! > Haven't seen it. and wouldn't it be IT'S movie was directed by Adam > Bernstein? And the reason to want to be like Pat is...? > >: 61. Donald Duck wears blue. > > > > Yeah, but he also walks around without pants on. > All hail his bravery. Mickey Mouse wears red, and Bugs runs around buck naked. Again, what's the point? > > > >: 67. The Sky is Blue. > > > > Not again... > Had to emphasize this point.....you saw the notice at the top: THIS IS A > BETA VERSION. Actually, the sky is every color but blue. The reason you see the sky as blue is because the essential nature of the sky causes it to reflect the color blue. That is the nature of color. Ask a science professor. > >: 100. TMBG's first album has a picture of a Big Blue Dog on the front. > > > > As well as 1,000,000 pink objects. > > Yeah, but none of them have the Johns on their back! Yes, but, If you're in a record store with a gazillon other albums, what are you going to look for, the overall color of the object, or one tiny speck of color? (And don't flame me for calling it tiny. It's just big compared to the size of the other objects in the picture, and not a large space of blue as compared to the rest of the album cover) PINK forever!!!!! ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 14:57:23 -0400 Subject: Re: Subtle Skull =?UNKNOWN?Q?referen=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF?= In a message dated 95-10-02 14:36:23 EDT, you write: >>Reason to be Blue: To Confuse the Electric Monk (Douglas Adams fans will >>get this one) > >I simply refuse to believe that. > > Refuse to believe what???? BlueDog ------------------------------ From: "Frankenberry" Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 15:43:31 GMT-5 Subject: Jesus and pork To your credit, > Alright I apologise for my lack of knowledge re: the prodigal son, but I > still doubt that it was Jesus in the song 'Hot Cha' because it said he was > cooking bacon...and yet this is the King Of The Jews. > > Go Figger. The same Jesus who came to the disciple Peter in a vision and told him to kill and eat the "unclean" may not have a problem with pork anymore. I doubt he'd turn down the offer, unless he were on a lower fat diet or something. Scott said: > Why is it neccesary to paste the entire digest as a quotation? Who keeps > doing that? It's not fun for us to read. Can I get an AMEN? It really was an accident. I know, I know... I get just as unhinged as the next guy when crap like that happens, but just wait until YOU reflexively hit the "send" command instead of the delete button. You'll have a lot more sympathy. Oh, and as I was pondering my mistake, I took a look at the ungodly length of this last digest. Be glad, you of ill attitude. And at least I didn't go on for a half-hour about things that may or may not be blue (Dominoe's pizza, guys? C'mon...). slowly weaving a web of obscenity, Frank ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 20:37:18 -0600 Subject: Re: Subtle Skull >>>Reason to be Blue: To Confuse the Electric Monk (Douglas Adams fans will >>>get this one) >> >>I simply refuse to believe that. > >Refuse to believe what???? Yes. ****************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #16 *****************************************