From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #18 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Wednesday, 4 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 018 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Burt Codispoti Date: Tue, 03 Oct 1995 12:37:58 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: more etc.--does it ever stop? On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > Here's one that will get _some_ people. Whats the name of They Might Be Giants first album. It'd be intresting to see how many people would give you the RIGHT answer. You're joking, right? Burt ...Let's get these missles ready to destroy the universe... ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 17:57:18 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Treating Johns as objects... In the immortal words of Joshua Conner: >int main() { > John John_1; > John_1.sing_it(); >} > >Of course, if I knew which John actually did the singing on this snippet, >I would replace John_1 with his name... As far as I know, neither John has ever sung this song (by all means correct me if I'm wrong). LambChop is the correct variable name; Puppet is the propper class name. ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cbongaar@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 17:10:09 -0700 Subject: Re: Reasons to be blue >> >> >: 30. The US. Postal service is blue. >> >> > It also sucks. >> >> Okay, Fedex is blue. >> >UPS is better, and they're brown, should we call it the brown album? >> oops is better, When? in '85? >Can you say CHEAP? Like half the price of fedex, and I get packages >from my mom in a day, which is just as fast as Fedex. Besides, the >UPS delivery guys are cuter. ohh, I took better to mean better quality, like not losing my package in the post cards dept. for a week, like they did to me three times now! >> Define High tech...the last guy who had "High tech copying equip. sent me >> what appeared to be a tenth gen dub off of a camcorder. or maybe make that >> a 35mm proj. I would think of high tech as something along the lines of a >> Sony SVHS to SVHS transfer machine...no gen loss...sumpin' like that. >It's actually a panasonic VHS to VHS transfer system. Its brand new, >and I think the departement has only used it twice. actually, vhs to vhs still loses generations, thusly, the twentieth time that you copy it will look like a blizzard, whereas SVHS has no loss in quality, so, theoretically, the 20,000th time you copy, you lose nothing. >I work in my >colleges Media services, so I'm essentially a professional A/V geek. yeah, I also work in School TV land, but, it seems that we have cooler crap. 8o) >Turst me, I know good copying equip when I see it, and I know a >crappy copy when I see it. okay, I'll TURST you, but that copying equip. doesn't seem all that great... >> >Actually, the sky is every color but blue. The reason you see the sky >> >as blue is because the essential nature of the sky causes it to >> >reflect the color blue. That is the nature of color. Ask a science >> >professor. >> Oh, now you want kids to start asking their parents "Mommy, Why does the >> sky seem to emulate the color blue to the unabbetted, unfiltered, naked >> human eye?"????!!!!????!!!! >I think it is essential for childern to ask questions. That is, after >all, how they learn. Yeah, I concur. But some people don't seem to agree. >Cathy - -Rabid Child 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: Bird Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 19:24:34 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Edwyn Collins Hey- Does everyone know that John Flansburgh directed the video for Edwyn Collins song "A girl like you"? I saw the video on 120 minutes a few weeks ago and it had flans written all over it, including dancing cartoons and close ups of afros. The album (Collins) by the way is excellent and it is called Georgious (sp?) George. It is released by none other than Bar/None Records. Was this the first non giants bar/none video on MTV? Is this old news for you all? jon ------------------------------ From: Bird Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 19:24:34 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Edwyn Collins Hey- Does everyone know that John Flansburgh directed the video for Edwyn Collins song "A girl like you"? I saw the video on 120 minutes a few weeks ago and it had flans written all over it, including dancing cartoons and close ups of afros. The album (Collins) by the way is excellent and it is called Georgious (sp?) George. It is released by none other than Bar/None Records. Was this the first non giants bar/none video on MTV? Is this old news for you all? jon ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 00:30:44 +0100 Subject: Re: No more!!!! >No more reasons to be blue. It's the Pink Album!!!!!!! The Pink Album!!!!!!! >The PINK ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stop!!!!! I *still* like "Eponymous". Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 00:30:44 +0100 Subject: KILL BLOBBY >I'm sure there a few other people out there who don't knwo who Mr. Blobby >is, let's take a vote. Every who has heard of Mr. Blobby, write and say >so. That goes for you non-My. blobby people too. Then we'll tally the >votes in a calm manner, and we'll just see about this. For those of you who *don't* know who Mr. Blobby is - count yourselves lucky. If you really wanna know who Mr. Blobby is - you are very very very sad people ;) I'm a sad case - count me as a nose. :( >That goes for you non-My. Erm... yes - well - it happens :) <---- Baaaa Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 18:41:56 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Reasons to be blue >>> Define High tech...the last guy who had "High tech copying equip. sent me >>> what appeared to be a tenth gen dub off of a camcorder. or maybe make that >>> a 35mm proj. I would think of high tech as something along the lines of a >>> Sony SVHS to SVHS transfer machine...no gen loss...sumpin' like that. >>It's actually a panasonic VHS to VHS transfer system. Its brand new, >>and I think the departement has only used it twice. > >actually, vhs to vhs still loses generations, thusly, the twentieth time >that you copy it will look like a blizzard, whereas SVHS has no loss in >quality, so, theoretically, the 20,000th time you copy, you lose nothing. *ANY* analog device will ALWAYS experience generation loss. If you want NONE, you'll have to go digital. Unfortunately, you're not likely to find a D2 deck (or even SVHS) in most people's homes. You might gain a little bit on VHS->VHS dups in a SVHS duplicator, depending on whether or not the VHS duplicator internally separates the chroma/luma. >>I work in my >>colleges Media services, so I'm essentially a professional A/V geek. > >yeah, I also work in School TV land, but, it seems that we have cooler >crap. 8o) I've volunteered as a TV guy for about 7 years now. I've even been in the Panasonic SVHS Demo Van (where we saw the difference bewteen VHS, SVHS, and 3/4" - pretty impressive.) But of course, we've known for some time that TMBG freaks tend to be technically and/or creatively inclined. ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cbongaar@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: Burt Codispoti Date: Tue, 03 Oct 1995 17:18:17 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: No More!!!! > No more reasons to be blue. It's the Pink Album!!!!!!! The Pink Album!!!!!!! > The PINK ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stop!!!!! She's right you know. SHUT UP ALREADY, BLUEHEADS. Burt ...I must be silent... ------------------------------ From: Burt Codispoti Date: Tue, 03 Oct 1995 17:18:17 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: No More!!!! > No more reasons to be blue. It's the Pink Album!!!!!!! The Pink Album!!!!!!! > The PINK ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stop!!!!! She's right you know. SHUT UP ALREADY, BLUEHEADS. Burt ...I must be silent... ------------------------------ From: Loula Burton Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 20:12:18 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Edwyn Collins wow!!!! i just saw that video and fell in love with it and had no clue! nifty.... it's a pretty groovy song and i was most impressed with the video. it has lots of good shoes in it. =) loula - ----------====> i have seen the truth, and it makes no sense <====---------- On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Bird wrote: > Hey- > Does everyone know that John Flansburgh directed the video for Edwyn > Collins song "A girl like you"? I saw the video on 120 minutes a few > weeks ago and it had flans written all over it, including dancing > cartoons and close ups of afros. The album (Collins) by the way is > excellent and it is called Georgious (sp?) George. It is released by > none other than Bar/None Records. Was this the first non giants bar/none > video on MTV? > > Is this old news for you all? > > jon > ------------------------------ From: Loula Burton Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 20:12:18 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Edwyn Collins wow!!!! i just saw that video and fell in love with it and had no clue! nifty.... it's a pretty groovy song and i was most impressed with the video. it has lots of good shoes in it. =) loula - ----------====> i have seen the truth, and it makes no sense <====---------- On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Bird wrote: > Hey- > Does everyone know that John Flansburgh directed the video for Edwyn > Collins song "A girl like you"? I saw the video on 120 minutes a few > weeks ago and it had flans written all over it, including dancing > cartoons and close ups of afros. The album (Collins) by the way is > excellent and it is called Georgious (sp?) George. It is released by > none other than Bar/None Records. Was this the first non giants bar/none > video on MTV? > > Is this old news for you all? > > jon > ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 20:10:45 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: KILL BLOBBY On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Joe Keith wrote: > >I'm sure there a few other people out there who don't knwo who Mr. Blobby > >is, let's take a vote. Every who has heard of Mr. Blobby, write and say > >so. That goes for you non-My. blobby people too. Then we'll tally the > >votes in a calm manner, and we'll just see about this. > For those of you who *don't* know who Mr. Blobby is - count yourselves > lucky. If you really wanna know who Mr. Blobby is - you are very very very > sad people ;) > > I'm a sad case - count me as a nose. :( > > >That goes for you non-My. > Erm... yes - well - it happens :) <---- Baaaa > > Joe ok, I'm sorry for the typos, I MEANT "non-Mr. Blobby". Definitely NOT "non-My. blobby." That just doesn't make sense! Geez. So far I've got 3 Non-Blobbies and no votes for Blobbies. Come on, get out there and vote! Make a difference! - -aimee ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 21:24:01 -0400 Subject: Re: Subtle Skull =?UNKNOWN?Q?referen=FF=FF=FF=FF=FF?= In a message dated 95-10-03 14:07:02 EDT, you write: >At 02:57 PM 10/2/95 -0400, you wrote: >>In a message dated 95-10-02 14:36:23 EDT, you write: >> >>>>Reason to be Blue: To Confuse the Electric Monk (Douglas Adams fans will >>>>get this one) >>> >>>I simply refuse to believe that. >>> >>> >> >>Refuse to believe what???? >> > >I refuse to believe in the Electric Monk, it's a joke. > > Okay, I get it now......the Electric Monk believes in everything. BlueDog Version 1.0 list coming tomorrow! ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 21:24:06 -0400 Subject: Re: disco cover In a message dated 95-10-03 14:23:17 EDT, you write: >If the misc_t disco cover song was "It's not my birthday" >referring to "Macarthur Park". Macarthur Park itself was >a 60's hit, redone in disco style by Donna Summer. > Russ And MacArthur Park was recently parodyied (sorry, I just spend three hours in German and can't spell anymore) by Weird Al. BlauHund ------------------------------ From: "Christina (ms. train)" Date: Tue, 03 Oct 95 21:36:43 EDT Subject: disco fever For Particle: My accepted answer to the POP QUIZ at the time was Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," as out of "The Biggest One" off misc. t, but Russ has obviously shown me that I should look further. And all I have to say about the proposed Blobby poll: Don't Let's Start. Happy waxing gibbous (moon). (Hey, the Happy Tuesday/whatever day was getting old.) ...Should have changed that stupid lock, should have thrown away the key. No, no, not I. I will survive... ------------------------------ From: searchme@earthlink.net (Lisa/Matthew/VR.5/SMS Music) Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 18:53:01 -0700 Subject: Name That JH Girl! >Does anybody know what happened in the NAME-THE-JH-GIRL contest? >I'm still rooting for Phoebe, you know. CG- Apparently, you've brought it back. And since you have, I vote for Search Henry, John Henry's great great great granddaughterperson. And this is my first TMBGML post. And I feel good. I'm a good fan, I've seen Them three times. Still think 'Lincoln' is the best, - -mk Matthew Kinsella/SMS Music -Used CDs that work! GO YANKEES! // To live outside the law you must be honest -Dylan - ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lisa K. Cunningham/ Central Campaign Office * (Visit alt.tv.vr5!) Virtual Storm: an organization dedicated to the fight to bring back VR.5 ***finger adebliec@daniel.drew.edu for info on saving VR.5 from extinction - ------------------------------------------------------------------------ WARNING TO ALL: Earthlink, the ISP (Internally Screwed uP), could sieze up at any moment. Strange behavior at this email address is not surprising. Do not adjust your computer. -Matthew*** ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 21:54:11 -0400 Subject: Re: No More!!!! In a message dated 95-10-03 18:35:01 EDT, you write: >No more reasons to be blue. It's the Pink Album!!!!!!! The Pink Album!!!!!!! >The PINK ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stop!!!!! > > Another AOL'er blindly following....pity, isn't it...Go away and play with your Macintrash. BlauHund ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 21:49:49 -0400 Subject: Re: Reasons to be blue In a message dated 95-10-03 16:34:23 EDT, you write: >> >who the heck is Mr. Blobby? >> > >> > >> >> If you don't know, you're better off. >> >> BlueDog (Blobby!) >> >> >I'm sure there a few other people out there who don't knwo who Mr. Blobby >is, let's take a vote. Every who has heard of Mr. Blobby, write and say >so. That goes for you non-My. blobby people too. Then we'll tally the >votes in a calm manner, and we'll just see about this. I thought I explained this to y'all. If you don't know who Blobby is, you're better off. It's kind of like changing your life so that you never saw that Barney episode, only worse. You know that song from the end of the Lamb Chop show, "This is the song that never ends..." it's more annoying than that. BlueDog Linnell Quote Applied to O. J.: "As this whole world crumbles like a cake, I'll be hanging from the hope that I'll never see that recipe again." I'm glad this farce is over. ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 21:54:13 -0400 Subject: Re: No More!!!! In a message dated 95-10-03 20:27:55 EDT, you write: >> No more reasons to be blue. It's the Pink Album!!!!!!! The Pink >Album!!!!!!! >> The PINK ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just stop!!!!! > >She's right you know. SHUT UP ALREADY, BLUEHEADS. > >Burt >...I must be silent... yes, you must....you are a pinko. BlueDog ------------------------------ From: Justin Higgins Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 22:14:42 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Status of Superfueled Freaksicle There was something in ICE magazine (October) about the new album being delayed til January. I've also heard snippets on this list but haven't kept up. Does anyone know what the story is with this? Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ From: bunnrees@netcom.netcom.com (Dave Bunnell) Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 19:50:05 -0700 Subject: The song that never ends. >main{for(;;)printf("This is the song that never ends,\nYes it goes on >and on my friends.\nSome people started singing it\nNot knowing was it >was\nAnd now they keep on singing it forever just because\n");} Output= Initializing... Compiling... c:\tmp\crap.c c:\tmp\crap.c(1) : error C2054: expected '(' to follow 'main' c:\tmp\crap.c(1) : error C2001: newline in constant c:\tmp\crap.c(2) : error C2017: illegal escape sequence c:\tmp\crap.c(2) : error C2017: illegal escape sequence c:\tmp\crap.c(3) : error C2017: illegal escape sequence c:\tmp\crap.c(3) : error C2017: illegal escape sequence c:\tmp\crap.c(3) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found CL returned error code 2. CRAP.C - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s) Excuse the file name. I lost my head. Please let me know if you find it. Davenue (I use to be high on life, but I've built up a resistance to it.) ------------------------------ From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Date: Tue, 03 Oct 95 22:37:37 EDT Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #17 hey there all. i was just thinking...somewhere along the death of the digest formerly known as prince i told everyone that i was going to write a sotry about the spooky girl as soon as we'all picked a name. weeeellll, we dont have a name yet!!! we need one. i am not voting. wait, i'm feeling deja-vu here, did we ever pick a name before? who was the vote-counter? i am lost. (no comments pleez) anyway, also, i dont know mr. blobby either. i just harvested some herbs from my chia herb garden and my whole apartment smells like cilantro, so i'm off to put vanilla oil on all the lightbulbs. :) peace, anne "smells like teen, um, i mean, cilantro" heidemann ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 22:47:56 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: The song that never ends. In the immortal words of Dave Bunnell: > >>main{for(;;)printf("This is the song that never ends,\nYes it goes on >>and on my friends.\nSome people started singing it\nNot knowing was it >>was\nAnd now they keep on singing it forever just because\n");} [...] >c:\tmp\crap.c(1) : error C2054: expected '(' to follow 'main' Oops, sorry everyone: forgot the (). main(){for(;;)printf("This is the song that never ends,\nYes it goes on and on my friends.\nSome people started singing it\nNot knowing was it was\nAnd now they keep on singing it forever just because\n");} ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cbongaar@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 00:02:17 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #12 > > HI, THERE! (Say it in a Freddy Washington vioce -- it's funnier) > > Soph says: > >are there any other people out there from indiana? > >any one else want to give some translating a try? > > Talk about non sequiters!! Are we assuming that people from Indiana > can't be considerate or cultured enough to learn other languages, or even > wise enough to like TMBG?? Of COURSE they can! I do both, as do many > people here at Indiana University. We're not as hick as we seem. (OK, > we did have "Tractor Day" at my high school, but hey -- I've moved on...) > > There's at least one other person on this list from Indiana (that DJ > dude from Goshen). I've been waiting for Linnell to finish his State > Songs -- I'd love to see Indiana's song. (Anyone heard anything on this?) > People from Indiana UNITE FOR TMBG!!! WE LOVE YOU!! > PLEASE COME TO SOMEPLACE CLOSER THAN CHICAGO TO SEE US, JOHN & JOHN!! To cut on another state: West Virginia is the place for me! Squeel like a pig boy *dueling banjos* Yehaw, when does he-haw come on? hehehe Ok that was pretty darn bad, but it had to be said, in jest of course! - --Matt (no, I've never actually been there, although damn close, and I'll probably get killed for this ;) - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: LoonGirl@aol.com Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 00:12:52 -0400 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #17 Okay, I am new to the list. 1st, could we please find a way to keep people from mailing stuff in twice. 2nd. Some one is correct in stating that you will always lose Generations when coping anything, unless it is digital. Heck even when you use BETA you will lose generations. AND unless you use a Time Base Corrector, you will lose most of the color (especially in VHS) on the first copy and the rest suck. But you have to remember, if you keep the original and use that to make every suceeding copy, all those copies will actually only be 2nd generation. NOT 20th. ( I have a degree in Telecommunications and I work full time with Equipment.) 3rd. I haven't heard of Mr. Blooby 4th, if you didn't guess I love TMBG 5th, the Pink album, is really just THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS it says nothing else on the album, we just refer to it as the Pink Album. Thanks Later BYE ------------------------------ From: Myke Weiskopf Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 21:00:54 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Edwyn Collins > none other than Bar/None Records. Was this the first non giants bar/none > video on MTV? Ah ha .. so Flans did the Edwyn video. That song is a huge smash in the NY area... As far as other Bar/None videos on MTV, Shirk Circus' "Summer Sun" was on for a while, as was Rage To Live's "Enough Is Never Enough". Rumor has it there was a Freedy video, but I never saw one. ------------------------------ From: Jon Mann Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 14:06:56 +0930 (CST) Subject: Re: John Henry girl DrSzusz@aol.com wrote: > The girl on the cover of J.H. looks EXACTLY like my best friend & his wifes > daughter! > Its friggin' spooky! Your best friend _and_ his wifes's daughter? I guess your best friend has really got the dominant genes, huh! (Stupid comment, but it had to be made :) - ------------------------------------Garfield says:---------------------- - - Jon 'the Bosch' Mann - "Poor Jon, sitting there so peacefully. - - - jemann@smug.student. - I really should stop harassing him. - - - adelaide.edu.au - But first I have to get rid of this brick." - ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Wed, 04 Oct 1995 00:39:29 -0500 Subject: Re: John Henry girl At 02:50 PM 10/3/95 -0500, zen kitty wrote: > >>who is she? Is that your sister/daughter? > > oddly enough, she actually looks alot like my sister. > not really, I know your sister and she doesn't look like the John Henry Girl at all. paul Paul Leonard pleonard@mail.utexas.edu pleonard@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu UT can get its own opinions -- these are mine. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check out my HomePage! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~pleonard ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Wed, 04 Oct 1995 00:45:30 -0500 Subject: re: first album On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > Here's one that will get _some_ people. Whats the name of They Might Be Giants first album. It'd be intresting to see how many people would give you the RIGHT answer. uh, I think it's "They Might Be Giants," like it says on the disc, but I could, in all possibility, be wrong (serious doubts). But I don't see (* looking at album *) the words "pink album" OR "big blue dog" OR "eponymous" anywhere on it. paul Paul Leonard pleonard@mail.utexas.edu pleonard@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu UT can get its own opinions -- these are mine. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check out my HomePage! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~pleonard ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 07:46:33 EDT Subject: Re: more etc.--does it ever stop? > You're joking, right? Well she said she had a radio station. How many people do you know that listen to the radio ever heard of TMBG? ------------------------------ From: 924304@xavier.xu.edu Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 8:01:45 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Album Sales There's a radio station here in Cincinnati that plays TMBG. It's 97.7 WOXY. THey only play them every now and then, though. It's still pretty cool. Ziggy ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 08:12:50 EDT Subject: Re: Album Sales > There's a radio station here in Cincinnati that plays TMBG. It's 97.7 WOXY. > THey only play them every now and then, though. It's still pretty cool. > Ziggy > Yeah theres only 1 radio station in MD that plays them. Its 99.1 WHFS in Annapolis, Maryland but I'll never listen to that station again because after they play any NON Trendy song (ie TMBG) they make fun of it. Also I'd like to get a list of radio stations that play TMBG. If you know of any (or you run any) tell me what city and state thier, and what the frequency and call letters of the station are (or what the station calls themselves). ------------------------------ From: ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu Date: Wed, 04 Oct 1995 08:57:17 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Edwyn Collins are you sure it was directed by flans? i work for a music video show, we show that video often and the credits of that particular video have the director to be a Marcus Radog. On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Bird wrote: > Hey- > Does everyone know that John Flansburgh directed the video for Edwyn > Collins song "A girl like you"? I saw the video on 120 minutes a few > weeks ago and it had flans written all over it, including dancing > cartoons and close ups of afros. The album (Collins) by the way is > excellent and it is called Georgious (sp?) George. It is released by > none other than Bar/None Records. Was this the first non giants bar/none > video on MTV? > > Is this old news for you all? > > jon > ------------------------------ From: ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu Date: Wed, 04 Oct 1995 08:57:17 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Edwyn Collins are you sure it was directed by flans? i work for a music video show, we show that video often and the credits of that particular video have the director to be a Marcus Radog. On Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Bird wrote: > Hey- > Does everyone know that John Flansburgh directed the video for Edwyn > Collins song "A girl like you"? I saw the video on 120 minutes a few > weeks ago and it had flans written all over it, including dancing > cartoons and close ups of afros. The album (Collins) by the way is > excellent and it is called Georgious (sp?) George. It is released by > none other than Bar/None Records. Was this the first non giants bar/none > video on MTV? > > Is this old news for you all? > > jon > ------------------------------ From: ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu Date: Wed, 04 Oct 1995 09:06:10 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Album Sales hey there...i'm a DJ for 91.7 WICB, Ithaca, NY...We play ThEm very often...usually can be heard at least once a day...i always play ThEm during my shift, as do many other dj's ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 10:19:49 EDT Subject: TMBG Digest Does anyone remember how to get previous copys of the TMBG digest? ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 10:39:13 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: TMBG Digest > Does anyone remember how to get previous copys of the TMBG digest? ftp.tmbg.org:/pub/tmbg-digest.archive - -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Willie Pat Chuss Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 10:54:49 PDT Subject: Re: cha, right > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 09:33:19 +0200 > Subject: cha, right > > Unfortunatley, it never came back to tell us why. Would this mean that > someone at Elektra Records ahs discovered a Miracle Drunkennes Cure? I > think Hot Cha is just like a person who lots of people looked up to > admired/was the coolest guy in town and then he...vanished. It's not always > a case of stare inot the sublimininal for as long as you can. > By the way if Hot Cha was Jesus, why would we be drinking and cooking the > prodigal son??! I'm sure Jesus doesn't advocate ripping his parables to > shreds. > > Well, I guess I should have just read down a little further in the digest. Lots of great input on the interpretation of this song. Pat "My work is so behind. I'm just way behind." -- The Residents ------------------------------ From: Willie Pat Chuss Date: Wed, 4 Oct 95 10:47:59 PDT Subject: Re: cha, right michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) writes: > Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 09:33:19 +0200 > Subject: cha, right > > Unfortunatley, it never came back to tell us why. Would this mean that > someone at Elektra Records ahs discovered a Miracle Drunkennes Cure? I > think Hot Cha is just like a person who lots of people looked up to > admired/was the coolest guy in town and then he...vanished. It's not always > a case of stare inot the sublimininal for as long as you can. > By the way if Hot Cha was Jesus, why would we be drinking and cooking the > prodigal son??! I'm sure Jesus doesn't advocate ripping his parables to > shreds. > > Oh come now! Any good Christian knows of the body and blood of Christ (how the hell I knew that still escapes me ;-) ). So maybe Jesus IS the prodigal son of God, and we're supposed to take communion by drinking his blood and eating his flesh (the body of Christ, Amen and could I have some ketchup with that please). Just a thought. I really do wish I had the original posters interp of this. Maybe I can look through some old backups to see if I can find it. It was really quite good. Pat I guess I've died and went to heaven. Or else I'm looking out my nose." -David Byrne- ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #18 *****************************************