From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #2 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Saturday, 16 September 1995 Volume 01 : Number 002 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 06:32:10 -0600 Subject: A test A test of the server, as requested. **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Micah Anderson Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 08:50:16 +0000 () Subject: Re: Cool Beans Excellent! Has the domain name come through? Micah On Thu, 31 Aug 1995, Leo Bicknell wrote: > Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 17:41:09 -0400 (EDT) > From: Leo Bicknell > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Cool Beans > > > It appears that the list, and the digested list are all > working properly. > > -- > Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse > bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... > bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might > http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants > ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 19:22:12 -0600 Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/14/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** Subject: Re: slow Johns From: Antman I do not know about ordering through the club except for this... I bought a shirt a few years back straight through the club and it only took three weeks to deliver from the time I sent the letter... however, that is not my point... i think that if the John's have their mind set to do something, They will do it quickly. Case in point: I faxed the Hornblow group regarding my radio show and if They approved my using dial a song on the air. 3 days later, I was at the station and Brook pitt (sp?) called to tell me 1) that John F liked the idea and 2) I would be receiving something from Them in the next few weeks. As it turns out, the few weeks was actually a few days. I got the thing that John sent me no less than 3 days later... I don't know if this has anything to do with the general speed of Them but I thought it would give some insight into how They do things. your pal and humble follower, Antman ***** From: johanna.staral@tpdome.com Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/13/95 Hey opus, i'd be very interested in a sad john story, and thanks for telling me you went to a tmbg fest!!!! (Hey that banana butt of mine is between you and me bud!) banana johanna ***** From: Anna Bednarski Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/11/95 Hey, all! I just want to commmend two people... Keith, for claming down so quickly and so well. The Johns would be proud! and Ben or Been, for withdrawing his offer at even the slightest POSSIBILITY of hurting TMBG or doing something illegal. Better to error on the safe side. The Johns would be proud! TMBG has the greatest fans in the world!!! Now, before I ask for a group hug or some such sappy @#%!, I'll sign off... Anna(-conda) *************************************************************************** Anna Bednarski Internet: abednars@indiana.edu Ashton-Mottier T216 Bloomington, IN 47406 World Wide Web -- http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~abednars/home.html ************"Minimum WAGE --- HYAH!!!" (They Might Be Giants)************** ***** From: Robert Michael Myers III Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/13/95 Does anyone know if TMBG will be coming to Missouri (any of the Universities or cities) any time? Doesnt' have to be soon but sometime... ***** From: Keith Hyman Subject: Good Source for CDs Fellow TMBG lovers who need a good source for hard-to-get CDs: Word has it (from Dan Barrett, who maintains the Gentle Giant homepage) that Noteworthy Music is a great source for CDs. This is a clip from the GG homepage: >My favorite source for...discs made in the USA is > Noteworthy Music. The prices are the best ($7.70 to $8.15 for USA > releases, but no European releases), the service is extremely fast, > and they will ship internationally. In my opinion, Noteworthy Music is > the best CD mailorder store in the USA. > > Noteworthy Music > 17 Airport Road > Nashua, NH 03063 > USA > > Telephone orders: (800) 648-7972 (USA) > FAX: (603) 883-9220 > Customer service: (603) 883-9551 > Catalog requests: (800) 553-5370 > Returns: (800) 553-5370 > New release hotline: (603) 883-1914 I haven't personally bought from them, but Dan and friends _have_ and were very pleased. If you have WorldWideWeb access, go to them at http://www.netmarket.com/noteworthy/bin/main and see what you think. ================================================================================ Keith Hyman | Nobody tells; everyone understands it's everybody Nashville TN 37221 USA | For Nobody. Anyone for anybody? hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| I will be responsible For Nobody. | ...Gentle Giant/The Missing Piece ***** From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: TMBG ................................................................................ On 8/27/95, Johnathan sent out the first digest. On 8/28/95, there were 570 subscribers. On 8/29/95, there were 558 subscribers. On 8/30/95, there were 552 subscribers. On 8/31/95, there were 547 subscribers. On 9/01/95, there were 529 subscribers. On 9/02/95, there were 528 subscribers. On 9/03/95, there were 524 subscribers. On 9/04/95, there were 523 subscribers. On 9/06/95, there were 514 subscribers. On 9/07/95, there were 508 subscribers. On 9/09/95, there were 508 subscribers. On 9/10/95, there were 504 subscribers. On 9/11/95, there were 504 subscribers. On 9/12/95, there were 502 subscribers. On 9/13/95, there were 497 subscribers. We have almost lost one hundred people! Yikes! I don't understand why. I'd have to say that I like this list even more than that old list. It has a fresher feel! I know that no one will probably care that I wrote all of this down, but I just thought it seemed interesting. I wonder if there will be a big jump when the new album or the new newsletter comes out. By the way Johnathan, have you sent the new digest address to TMBG? The other reason that I am writing is because I have noticed that I have been thinking of TMBG even when I am thinking that I'm thinking of something else. The other day, I was watching MTV and I saw one of their promos. Not one of the promos where they just show a short cartoon and cut to the logo. The one that I saw was the kind where they show bits from the newest vidoes. Anyway, at the very beginning of this particular promo, there is a shot of a man's face. IT LOOKS JUST LIKE FLANSBURGH! I swear it does. Has anyone else seen that promo and thought the same thing? Scott ................................................................................ ***** From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: re: TMBG > We have almost lost one hundred people! Yikes! I don't understand >why. I'd have to say that I like this list even more than that old list. The main reason is that I automatically subscribed everyone that had previously been subscribed to the regular list before it went under. Probably 90% of those unsubscriptions were due to me removing bouncing addresses--people who probably graduated from college and lost net access, etc. >out. By the way Johnathan, have you sent the new digest address to TMBG? Well, it's in the latest version of the FAQ. And, quoted from the FAQ: > Do the Johns know about the mailing list? > > Yes. > > Do the Johns read the list? > > No. Have a nice day! - --Jon ***** From: "John E. Neely" Subject: Cool quotes Where do you get those great lines at the end of the digests (besides the TMBG one)??!?!???!? "Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change" That''s awesome!!!! %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "The human brain is like a huge fish. It is flat and slimy and has gills thorugh which it can see." -Monty Python ***** From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: Cool quotes >Where do you get those great lines at the end of the digests (besides the >TMBG one)??!?!???!? "Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change" >That''s awesome!!!! Well, the one you quoted I just found somewhere on the net. ALL of the rest are TMBG quotes. If you don't recognize it, it is probably from a Dial-a-Song or B-Side. Laters! - --Jon *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** We have our own song and we want to get it recorded. *****Currently 500 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 21:38:08 -0400 (EDT) Subject: testing twisting Hello, I'm testing out the twist here to see if I can spiral the wrong way down the sink. Ok I have succeeded 8-) - --Matt - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 15:35:07 -0400 Subject: Big Blue -vs- Pink I'm trying to get this one straight. I think it is the Big Blue Dog Album. Others say it is the Pink Album. I'd like to know what you think. Idiotnot. Pres. of Big Blue Supporters. ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 16:20:44 -0600 Subject: Re: Big Blue -vs- Pink >I'm trying to get this one straight. I think it is the Big Blue Dog Album. > Others say it is the Pink Album. I'd like to know what you think. > >Idiotnot. Pres. of Big Blue Supporters. Bash Big Blue! The album's name is (should be) [Might Be] Pink. **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 19:55:44 -0400 (EDT) Subject: HELLO!!! Hello and welcome from your friendly new list maintainer. Subscriptions are pouring in all day long, we'll have a good list back in no time. If you have any problems with the new list please drop me a note at once of the addresses below. Otherwise, please enjoy it. - -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 17:04:36 -0700 Subject: DISCOGRAPHY: They Might Be Giants Hey They People, The latest revision of the TMBG discography is available at: http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/they.might.be.giants The latest revision of the TMBG FAQ is available at: http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html My home page is at: http://reality.sgi.com/employees/relph/ Please update your hotlists and other pages... Until Superfueled Freaksickle rolls down my street... -- John - -- Funk pop a roll beats up my soul -- XTC ------------------------------ From: "NyQuil (aka) Driver" Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 19:26:29 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Big Blue -vs- Pink On Fri, 15 Sep 1995 Idiotnot@aol.com wrote: > I'm trying to get this one straight. I think it is the Big Blue Dog Album. > Others say it is the Pink Album. I'd like to know what you think. > > Idiotnot. Pres. of Big Blue Supporters. > Pink album. Certainly. _________________________________________________________________________ | It's just a full days drive away | | | We can't fly like birds in the air | Adam Kincaid | | We could walk but we'd never get there. | hayduke@imsa.edu | | It's just a full days drive away. | NyQuil | | Big hand's on 120, little hand's on the E | | | Hey, NyQuil Driver, |creator of Stompbox(tm)| | It's NyQuil drivin time. | be on stombox.mail me | | Hey, NyQuil Driver, | | | Get out my lane. | NyQuil (aka) Driver | | Get out my way. | -They Might Be | | It's just a full days drive away. | Giants :) | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 19:31:54 -0500 Subject: Re: Big Blue -vs- Pink At 07:26 PM 9/15/95 -0500, NyQuil Driver wrote: >On Fri, 15 Sep 1995 Idiotnot@aol.com wrote: > >> I'm trying to get this one straight. I think it is the Big Blue Dog Album. >> Others say it is the Pink Album. I'd like to know what you think. >> >> Idiotnot. Pres. of Big Blue Supporters. >> >Pink album. Certainly. I personally thought it was self-titled...Sorta like "The First TMBG Album, They Might Be Giants" paul ...and I'm not the only dust my mother raised ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Sat, 16 Sep 1995 15:41:34 -0400 (EDT) Subject: big blue album? Why would the first album be called the Big Blue album? - --Matt - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Sat, 16 Sep 1995 16:54:13 -0600 Subject: Re: Big Blue -vs- Pink >>> I'm trying to get this one straight. I think it is the Big Blue Dog Album. >>> Others say it is the Pink Album. I'd like to know what you think. >I personally thought it was self-titled...Sorta like "The First TMBG Album, >They Might Be Giants" Well, it IS self-titled. But it's clumsy to have to say "They Might Be Giants--I mean the album, not the band." So, it's simpler to say Pink or The Pink Album. Puts TMBG on the level of the Beatles, too, with their White album. If you want to get really anal about it (as I always do) you could call it Eponymous. **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #2 ****************************************