From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #20 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Friday, 6 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 020 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Paul Leonard Date: Thu, 05 Oct 1995 10:41:48 -0500 Subject: Re: Not just TMBG At 05:14 PM 10/5/95 +1000, Mark Sehler wrote: >I would be happy, as well as TMBG to discuss any other cool fan desires that >other people have. Just start writing. um...isn't this the TMBG mailing list? (sarcasm on) again, that means They Might Be Giants. I don't see any other subject there, except maybe one old movie, a long-forgotten puppet show, and Don Quixote. (sarcasm off) thank you. Paul Leonard pleonard@mail.utexas.edu pleonard@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu UT can get its own opinions -- these are mine. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check out my HomePage! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~pleonard ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 11:44:58 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Edwyn Collins > > > none other than Bar/None Records. Was this the first non giants bar/none > > video on MTV? > > Ah ha .. so Flans did the Edwyn video. That song is a huge smash > in the NY area... > > As far as other Bar/None videos on MTV, Shirk Circus' "Summer Sun" > was on for a while, as was Rage To Live's "Enough Is Never Enough". > Rumor has it there was a Freedy video, but I never saw one. > Are you speaking of Freedy Johnston? He had a video, saw it a long time ago. It was pretty good song I guess. This Edwyn song has been out for a long time btw, since the beginning of the year I think or possibly earlier if memory serves correctly. It was very strange because they played it a few times on WHFS (Balt.- Washington) and then it died away and then a few months later they started playing it again so actually it might be from last year even. I really liked it back then but now it's like I've heard this 1,000 times at least and blah. - --Matt - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Thu, 05 Oct 1995 10:43:17 -0500 Subject: Re: Mr. Blobby At 11:33 AM 10/5/95 -0400, Matthew James wrote: >I can safely say I have never heard of Mr. Blobby, who is he? from what I've gathered from the list, you're better off not knowing. paul Paul Leonard pleonard@mail.utexas.edu pleonard@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu UT can get its own opinions -- these are mine. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check out my HomePage! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~pleonard ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 11:04:18 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Not just TMBG > just reading you're messages, there are a lot of TMBG fans who are fans of > The Simpsons, Ren and Stimpy, Old Warner Bros cartoons, cult films, Mel brooks > and other tacky films, get smart, etc. > > I would be happy, as well as TMBG to discuss any other cool fan desires that > other people have. Just start writing.> ok, how about Star Wars? I am a huge fan of s.w., but I don't remember PORKINS. I tend to lean more on Chewbacca as a favorite character. Or that little mangy rat thing that sits by Jabba the Hut. - -aimee ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 11:27:48 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Mr. Blobby > I can safely say I have never heard of Mr. Blobby, who is he? i know nothing, I am simply the vote counter. And so far I have: (correct me if I'm mistaken) 4 for "who?" 2 for "thanks tmbg-list!" 1 for "yup, that's mr. blobby alright" signed, aimee-i-hate-finite-math-anybody-with-me-here-pflieger ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 12:20:20 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Not just TMBG > >I would be happy, as well as TMBG to discuss any other cool fan desires that > >other people have. Just start writing. > > um...isn't this the TMBG mailing list? (sarcasm on) again, that means They > Might Be Giants. I don't see any other subject there, except maybe one old > movie, a long-forgotten puppet show, and Don Quixote. (sarcasm off) > > thank you. > oh come one, wasn't there a long, drawn out conversation a few days ago about losing quality in tv equipment??? And then some silliness with a certain song that never ends? - -aims ------------------------------ From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Date: 05 Oct 95 14:02:53 EDT Subject: Re: Mr. Blobby ok..put me down for a who the hell is mr. blobby vote. i was determined not to care, but now youve got me curious. And yes, finite math does suck, but my linear algebra class sucks worse. - ------ sara.b.carmichael@dartmouth.edu - ------ ------------------------------ From: Keith Hyman Date: Thu, 05 Oct 1995 13:12:40 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Mistah Hlobby I, for one, blaven't blever beard of Mistah Hlobby. ================================================================================ Keith Hyman | Nobody tells; everyone understands it's everybody Nashville TN 37221 USA | For Nobody. Anyone for anybody? hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| I will be responsible For Nobody. | ...Gentle Giant/The Missing Piece ------------------------------ From: "jiffy boy is on, hurry up he needs a hammer, to knock his head around." Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 14:07:54 -0500 Subject: mr who? i too need to be put on the who the hell is mr blobby list, and don't have to worry about any type of math, being a fine arts major. hahahahahahahahahahahahaha paul, um yeah, that's paul, as opposed to >paul > >Paul Leonard >pleonard@mail.utexas.edu >pleonard@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu >UT can get its own opinions -- these are mine. who i do know, but is not in fact, me. ------------------------------ From: brown-eyed pickle boy Date: Thu, 05 Oct 1995 14:09:11 -0500 Subject: Re: Not just TMBG At 12:20 PM 10/5/95 -0500, aimee elisabeth pflieger wrote: >oh come one, wasn't there a long, drawn out conversation a few days ago >about losing quality in tv equipment??? And then some silliness with a >certain song that never ends? you're right .. I was just out of my mind at the time as a result of listening to too many Calculus lectures. paul Searching for truth and freedom ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 14:25:00 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Mr. Blobby well, unfortunately, Mr. Blobby has a knack of pulling people into his black hole. That's 5 for "who?" 2 for "tmbg is my savior" 1 for "Mr. Blobby and me go way back" signed, aimee-math-sucks-pflieger ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 14:26:47 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Mistah Hlobby make that 6 votes for "who?" "that's so '87, Heather" -"Heathers", one of the best movies in the world ------------------------------ From: Keith Hyman Date: Thu, 05 Oct 1995 15:05:52 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Not just TMBG Mark Sehler on Thu, 5 Oct 1995 17:14:09 +1000 (EST) wrote on Subject: Not just TMBG: >Hey everyone, > >just reading you're messages, there are a lot of TMBG fans who are fans of >The Simpsons, Ren and Stimpy, Old Warner Bros cartoons, cult films, Mel brooks >and other tacky films, get smart, etc. > >I would be happy, as well as TMBG to discuss any other cool fan desires that >other people have. Just start writing. Ok, Mark and all TMBG lovers. You are in for a treat if you have not yet heard the music of the Raymond Scott Quintet. Raymond Scott was active as a composer in the 1930s and beyond. Carl Stalling adapted and arranged much of his compositions for Warner Brothers Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. I own one CD of his original recordings which I nearly played the data off of! I then picked up the CD of Carl Stalling's cartoon scores, not just because I love what he put together for so many of those great WB cartoons, but mainly because Raymond Scott was there. If you find quirkiness appealing and like listening to music from a bygone era that is still fresh, check out music by the six-member Raymond Scott Quintet and have a good time! ================================================================================ Keith Hyman | Nobody tells; everyone understands it's everybody Nashville TN 37221 USA | For Nobody. Anyone for anybody? hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| I will be responsible For Nobody. | ...Gentle Giant/The Missing Piece ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Thu, 5 Oct 95 16:21:24 EDT Subject: State Songs and Mono Puff I'll give anyone that makes me a copy of both $25. email me if you have a copy of both of them. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 17:28:55 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Not just TMBG > > Hey everyone, > > just reading you're messages, there are a lot of TMBG fans who are fans of > The Simpsons, Ren and Stimpy, Old Warner Bros cartoons, cult films, Mel brooks > and other tacky films, get smart, etc. > > I would be happy, as well as TMBG to discuss any other cool fan desires that > other people have. Just start writing. > > Talk to you soon. > > from > > Royale with cheese > > Fave Quote "You can't frighten us with your sorcerers ways lord vader, your > devotion to that ancient religeon is ..eeehreeh (strangle noises while vader > goes Keeeee hoooooo, Keeeeeee hooooooo) > > Fave Star Wars character, PORKINS > But he died in 18 seconds! And he had that big fridge, sauna, and entertainment center in the back of his X-wing, that's why he couldn't pull up. Wedge all the way! All of those things you spoke of earlier in the message are interesting, good shows. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Stacy K Shoff Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 17:21:29 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #19 Hello everyone, I'm another new person, and I thought I'd just say HELLO and respond to some of the questions that are flying thru the list. I've been a Giants fan for a few years now, and I finally got to see them in March during the JH tour. Unfortunately, I live in Kentucky, and the Johns don't frequent Bluegrass country much... Speaking of which, I believe I have all of you Indiana and West Virginia hicks beat. Kentucky happens to be the original Kingdom of Hicks. At my school, EVERYONE was related, its OK to occasionally date your cousin ( you eventually have no choice) and the FFA club (Future Farmers of America) took up at least 75% of the students. Here, where legends such as Billy Ray Cyrus (try not to start singing the song in your head) are so popular, barely anyone has heard of TMBG. (sob,sob...) There is a radio station in Louisville, KY that plays They on occasion. It's WQNF 105.9, one of the "New Rock Alternative" stations that have become popular around the country. It plays Don't Lets Start, Istanbul, and Snail Shell on occasion. I used to listen to it often because it played some other bands I liked, but now its just a haven for all the popular "Alternative" music that sickens me. And I have never heard of the Famous Mr. Blobby, and you are all frustrating and confusing me on the subject. Are we non-blobs ever going to be let in on the joke? I must know!! Sorry this was so long, Stacy :) ------------------------------ From: Myke Weiskopf Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 16:25:53 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: State Songs and Mono Puff Jeez.. just a copy? I can do that... ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 17:35:21 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Not just TMBG > > > > just reading you're messages, there are a lot of TMBG fans who are fans of > > The Simpsons, Ren and Stimpy, Old Warner Bros cartoons, cult films, Mel brooks > > and other tacky films, get smart, etc. > > > > I would be happy, as well as TMBG to discuss any other cool fan desires that > > other people have. Just start writing.> > > ok, how about Star Wars? I am a huge fan of s.w., but I don't remember > PORKINS. I tend to lean more on Chewbacca as a favorite character. > Or that little mangy rat thing that sits by Jabba the Hut. > -aimee That would be Salacious Crumb (sp?) I believe. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 17:34:18 -0400 (EDT) Subject: state songs I was wondering, which State Songs have been created already by Linell? Only a few right? - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 16:35:54 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: mr who? Wait, so that's 7 for "who the heck is Miffter Bloobie"???? and by the way, paul, if that is in fact your name, I am also a fine arts major! What a coincidence! However, the university I attend must have much higher standards for its students. :) just joshing, aimee ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 17:42:22 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Not just TMBG > > > >I would be happy, as well as TMBG to discuss any other cool fan desires that > > >other people have. Just start writing. > > > > um...isn't this the TMBG mailing list? (sarcasm on) again, that means They > > Might Be Giants. I don't see any other subject there, except maybe one old > > movie, a long-forgotten puppet show, and Don Quixote. (sarcasm off) > > > > thank you. > > > oh come one, wasn't there a long, drawn out conversation a few days ago > about losing quality in tv equipment??? And then some silliness with a > certain song that never ends? > -aims > There will always be other topics of interest in any list serve, it's inevitable. As long as they don't drag on forever and people basically have a good time talking about them (yes I've deleted messages and moved over certain topics and letters). Even with a group like TMBG which has nearly countless topics of discussion, there will always be digression, but it's fun (usually). Any other thoughts? - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Thu, 5 Oct 95 17:38:43 EDT Subject: Re: State Songs and Mono Puff > Jeez.. just a copy? I can do that... > Send me you name and adress if you want to do it so I can send the check out to you. ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 16:44:03 -0700 Subject: Re: Not just TMBG >> >I would be happy, as well as TMBG to discuss any other cool fan desires >>that >> >other people have. Just start writing. >> >> um...isn't this the TMBG mailing list? (sarcasm on) again, that means They >> Might Be Giants. I don't see any other subject there, except maybe one old >> movie, a long-forgotten puppet show, and Don Quixote. (sarcasm off) >> >> thank you. >> >oh come one, wasn't there a long, drawn out conversation a few days ago >about losing quality in tv equipment??? And then some silliness with a >certain song that never ends? >-aims Oh, I think he's just whining, I've gotten 34 messages today, and about one-third of those is about tmbg strictly. But, since we're all here for the same people, and we all seem to have similar interests, intelligence,and sense of humor, we can talk about any thing... - -Rabid Child (Technically speaking, nowhere does it say that this is a They Might Be Giants list, tmbg could stand for any thing, such as Tomatoes May Be Green, or Thanatos Must Be a God.) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 19:28:17 -0600 Subject: Anagrams Since it seems that there are some new faces on the list since it went down last year, I just thought I'd re-open my offer to do anagrams for people that want 'em. Just drop me a line and I'll do my best. The big steamy thing! - --Jonathan (Tan a John) ****************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 18:47:13 -0500 (EST) Subject: dazed and confused I'm just startled by the number of messages I've gotten today. Anyway, I'm new here, so I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. I saw that group (whats their name again?) at Irving Plaza in fabulous NYC during the last tour. They gave the best show. I really appreciate the various cultural references I've been hearing (Simpsons, Star Wars, etc.) and encourage them (except Mr. you-know-what). I have a couple of TmBg ideas. How about either a spoken word album or Fingertips:the album! Hey, anything to please my ears. Are there any current groups that J and J have professed to like immensly? I'm just wont to moving this conversation away from the unfamiliar. Excuse me for being selfish. Thomas "32 Footsteps" Bona thomasvb@goshen.edu ------------------------------ From: Myke Weiskopf Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 18:50:40 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: State Songs and Mono Puff No problem... Myke Weiskopf 277 Babcock St , Box 1112 Boston MA 02215 ------------------------------ From: Mark Sehler Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 09:58:06 +1000 (EST) Subject: PORKINS is no ham Look, Porkins was an essential part of the sucess of the rebel aliance, even though his X-wings presence was slow and clunky due to his enormous size. My point is that the specially modified for his size x-wing was big enough to block most emperial attacks, hence leading the rebels to victory. from Royale with mayonaise I should be allowed to blurt the merest idea" ------------------------------ From: Matt Powers Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 17:22:30 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Blobby News For those using the World Wide Web, and wanting to know what Mr. Blobby looks like, I found some pictures of him at: http://itre.uncecs.edu/misc/images/images.html He's analagous to Barney, the Purple Dinosaur that has my kid sister brain washed. Marvin of 41 ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 20:36:40 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Mistah Hlobby > > make that 6 votes for "who?" > > "that's so '87, Heather" > -"Heathers", one of the best movies in the world > I think this Mr. Blobby guy never reached the east coast. In fact I think this Mr. Blobby guy must be some esoteric creature that only 1 or 2 people have ever heard of it seems like ;) Keep up the tally! - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 20:39:49 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #19 > And I have never heard of the Famous Mr. Blobby, and you are all > frustrating and confusing me on the subject. Are we non-blobs ever > going to be let in on the joke? I must know!! > > Sorry this was so long, > Stacy :) heheheheheheh non-blobs, I just hadta laugh when I heard that, funny stuff! Thanks for the laugh. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 20:44:23 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: PORKINS is no ham > > Look, Porkins was an essential part of the sucess of the rebel aliance, > even though his X-wings presence was slow and clunky due to his enormous size. > My point is that the specially modified for his size x-wing was big enough to > block most emperial attacks, hence leading the rebels to victory. Yeah he could darn near eclipse the sun(s) ;) - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 20:00:59 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Not just TMBG I personally got on this list thinking TMBG stood for Tripping Must Be Good. . . aimee ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 02:40:49 +0100 Subject: Re: Name That JH Girl! >>Does anybody know what happened in the NAME-THE-JH-GIRL contest? >>I'm still rooting for Phoebe, you know. Hey - wasn't Ben or Been running this? Where are you Ben or Beeny? Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: "Penny Morris" Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 23:50:31 -0400 Subject: Re: more of that state bonding... Well, I know there's at least one other Ohion out there!! (Cincinnatian too! ;)) Penny ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 22:37:28 -0700 Subject: The "Name That JH Girl!" Contest.(Take 2) 'kaiy, after hearing the immense popularity of this subject once again, I think I'll tally all of the votes. I will be taking Name suggestions until 10-13-95, 12:00(medi of la noce). every-so-often I'll post a list of names that have been proferred. Then You may vote, and I'll update the list with all tallies every day or two, and Then I will post a comprehensive list, including all of the votes and the winner on Halloween(-ish, as I'll be trick-or-treating as an overfed white-ranger.) Sooooooo, ooo, ooo, please send all name suggestions to mdukelan@wyoming.com with the subject line Da JH Girl. and lets have some fun here!!! effervescently yours... - -Rabid Child (I'm doing this by hand, so Please, no spamming, and vote only once.) First on the list: (from my own suggestion, and the only other one I could remember, since it started this whole thing off.) a)Chloe b)Phoebe ------------------------------ From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Date: Fri, 06 Oct 95 00:43:08 EDT Subject: about that cool radio station etc etc etc hey there. no problem, jon, for the radio station 91.5 in mt. pleasant, mich. its a really cool thing, they'll play, depending ont eh dj of course, like, five or so tmbg in a row if you ask nicely. wow. :) also, they play music by my bf's band, yay! (ps anyone who wants a cd of them, just ask [not Them, my bf's band], its only $5--sorry, cheesy plug. no flame-olas pleez!) take care all! peace, anne "*still* can't get netscape to work" heidemann ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 00:53:50 -0500 (EST) Subject: its a secret.... sophie: Hi all, this is soph and aimee, your friendly neighborhood hoosiers. anyway, we had the misfortune to fall upon the image of mr. blobby on the web. he's a lumkpy pink mass with a green bow-tie. for those of you who have not seen it, i do not advise doing so. aimee: OH FOR SHAME (aimee throws her little head, weeping, onto sara's shoulder), I AM NO LONGER A MR.BLOBBY VIRGIN!!! AAHHH *choke* *sniff* Put me on the vote list for. . .for, oh i can't bear to say it. . .for "yes, I. .I KNOW WHO MR.BLOBBY IS!!" ------------------------------ From: Matt Powers Date: Thu, 5 Oct 1995 23:57:57 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: its a secret.... Personally, I think he looks like a humanoid penis with yellow spots... But that's just me... Marvin of 41 On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, sara kathleen smith wrote: > sophie: > Hi all, this is soph and aimee, your friendly neighborhood hoosiers. > anyway, we had the misfortune to fall upon the image of mr. blobby on the > web. he's a lumkpy pink mass with a green bow-tie. for those of you who > have not seen it, i do not advise doing so. > aimee: > OH FOR SHAME (aimee throws her little head, weeping, onto sara's > shoulder), I AM NO LONGER A MR.BLOBBY VIRGIN!!! AAHHH *choke* *sniff* > Put me on the vote list for. . .for, oh i can't bear to say it. . .for "yes, > I. .I KNOW WHO MR.BLOBBY IS!!" > > ------------------------------ From: pvachusk@uwcmail.uwc.edu Date: Fri Oct 6 08:30:38 CDT 1995 Subject: Math People I've read some references to calculus, finite math, and linear algebra lately here. I am wondering if there are a lot of math majors or related majors who like TMBG. Is this music that more abstact minds prefer or is it just that science-minded people like to fool around with computers more? Or are you all just a figment of my imagination? - -Peter - ------------------------------------------------------------------ no .sig ? maybe something having to do with a talking klaw...(it doesn't quit fit) ? I know...Son of God... (No, Way too pretentious) ...? - ------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Date: 06 Oct 95 10:50:32 EDT Subject: Re: Math People >I've read some references to calculus, >finite math, and linear algebra lately >here. I am wondering if there are a lot of >math majors or related majors who >like TMBG. Is this music that more abstact >minds prefer or is it just that >science-minded people like to fool around >with computers more? im a physics major (at least i think...im only a freshman, what do i know?) but im thinking of being a philosophy or anthopology minor...my boyfriend (who also loves tmbg) is a comp sci major...my best friend who likes them is pre-med (but i dont know if he truly understands them cause i caught him engaging in pass-the-dude at the last show) my other best friend who doesnt like them (im working on him) is a classics major. i'm not saying my friends are representative of the world in general, though (although, come to think of it, most people ive ever known who liked them have been math/physics geeks, but thats probably just cause i see those sort of people more). we could always start (yet another) vote. ill tally it i suppose. ive also noticed most of you people seem to be from the midwest (im from florida, but im going to school in new hampshire and freezing to death). - -sara (the one who hates linear algebra)- ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Fri, 6 Oct 95 09:17:28 MDT Subject: Mr. Blobby, AT LAST! To whoever gave the WWW location: Thanks for the great picture of Mr.Blobby at http://itre.uncecs.edu/misc/images/mrblobby1.gif I like it so much, that I'm going to install it as the "wallpaper" for the Windows on my PC. Sorry sara. Just kidding. But it is an AMAZING image. But it would be inexcusable to post this without a REAL TMBG connection ... so ... ============= My TMBG Saga =============================================== I first heard TMBG on KTCL (Ft.Collins, CO), when Apollo 18 first came out. They played about 5 songs in a row from Apollo 18 as I was driving home from a late class at CU. "glass of milk, standing in between extinction in the dark and explosive radiating growth" I HAD to get that CD. They played "The Statue Got me High" regularly, and after I bought their earlier albums, (TMBG, Misc_t, Lincoln, Flood) I recognized "Don't Let's Start" and "Birdhouse in your soul" being played regularly. They also play "Snail Shell" from John Henry. I saw TMBG at the Ogden Theater (Denver) in June of 1994. They were playing with the full band, and did mostly John Henry songs. I had to wait until October (sob, sob) to buy the album. "Now I understand what he said" They also played in Boulder, CO in November, 1995, but ... well, we can't always see ALL the concerts that we want to, now can we? Of course, I read in the paper that the John Henry hypercard stack was available, but I couldn't get it, and have no Apple Macintosh to play it on anyway. That was the first time that I'd seen TMBG in concert. I did find an *.au file player for Windows to play the "Dial-a-song online" files from the fine web site. "The sun is a mass of incandescent gas, it's a great big nuclear furnace. Where hydrogen is turned into helium, at a temperature of millions of degrees." Russ ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #20 *****************************************