From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #21 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Saturday, 7 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 021 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Paul Leonard Date: Fri, 06 Oct 1995 10:19:46 -0500 Subject: Re: The "Name That JH Girl!" Contest.(Take 2) I still like "The John Henry Girl" as a name for her. searching for truth and freedom paul ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 10:33:32 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Math > I've read some references to calculus, finite math, and linear algebra lately > here. I am wondering if there are a lot of math majors or related majors who > like TMBG. Is this music that more abstact minds prefer or is it just that > science-minded people like to fool around with computers more? > > Or are you all just a figment of my imagination?> Yes. ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 10:47:47 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Math People > >I've read some references to calculus, >finite math, and linear algebra lately > >here. I am wondering if there are a lot of >math majors or related majors who > >like TMBG. Is this music that more abstact >minds prefer or is it just that > >science-minded people like to fool around >with computers more? > we could always start (yet another) vote. i just a math test and i flunked it, so you can safely put me down for a vote for right brained people who love tmbg. - -aims ------------------------------ From: David Vogelgesang <924304@xavier.xu.edu> Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 11:48:29 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: more of that state bonding... Yep. Censornnati...er Cincinnati's cool. :) ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 10:53:45 -0500 (EST) Subject: hi, my name is Aimee, and I am a tmbg-aholic Can I ask you guys something? I was just wondering if anyone was inroduced to tmbg while driving in a funny little compact car on the way to a sleep-over by a girl named Arshia, wondering what the deal was with a song named "Spider"? Just asking. . . - -absolutely aimee's mood ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 12:26:20 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Math People On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, aimee elisabeth pflieger wrote: > > > >I've read some references to calculus, >finite math, and linear algebra lately > > >here. I am wondering if there are a lot of >math majors or related majors who > > >like TMBG. Is this music that more abstact >minds prefer or is it just that > > >science-minded people like to fool around >with computers more? > > we could always start (yet another) vote. > > i just a math test and i flunked it, so you can safely put me down for a > vote for right brained people who love tmbg. > -aims > i just flunked the very same math test. im with you aims. soph ------------------------------ From: "ejc1" Date: Fri, 06 Oct 95 13:48:51 EDT Subject: Don't mean to complain! - - I have been on the mail-list for over a year (when it's been working) - - and I always bring this up when it happens (I hate to be known as the bitchy one but...) :) This IS a THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS mailing list! I only have a few minutes a day to read this (and the Newsgroup). Please try to keep the subject to TMBG, EVEN REMOTELY. When people post without any regard to the relevancy of their posts, it irritates people (like me) who don't have alot of time to sift through the garbage and also people who pay for their Email and Internet access. I have brought this up before and I usually get Email from several people agreeing with me or thanking me for mentioning it. I also get 1 or 2 responses from "newbies" who feel that a TMBG list should be open for any topic and have no clue as to why this presents such a problem. So please be considerate and think before you post. Thanks. ------------------------------ From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Date: Fri, 06 Oct 1995 12:51:19 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Math People Funny--it seems that most of the math-and-science type people I know are not TMBG fans. I'm an english and psych major, and my other TMBG-listening friends are music, art history and anthro. My boyfriend is a physics major, but after months and months of conversion attempts, he JUST DOES NOT GET IT (*sigh*). Most of my other more-mathematically-minded-than-I friends are just sort of indifferent.... Of course, I think maybe that's because this is, after all, nebraska, where nobody seems to have heard of Them. (i also think I use too many commas.) And TMBG never comes anywhere near here on tour. I have to listen to my east coast friends talk about the many shows they've seen while I clutch my CDs, teary-eyed. Life can be so cruel. - --Tara (Wry Bean Eternal) - -- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: jiffy boy Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 13:00:46 -0500 Subject: Re: hi, my name is Aimee, and I am a tmbg-aholic At 10:53 AM 10/6/95 -0500, you wrote: >Can I ask you guys something? I was just wondering if anyone was >inroduced to tmbg while driving in a funny little compact car on the way >to a sleep-over by a girl named Arshia, wondering what the deal was with >a song named "Spider"? no, although i was riding in a car, but the song i heard, off of a tape made by a friend of my brother, was Ana Ng. we listened to it about 60 times trying to figure out what the words were (it was about a seventeenth generation tape) which later induced me to venture out to a local music store and pick up an album with a picture of an acordion on the back... ------------------------------ From: searchme@earthlink.net (Lisa VR.5/Matthew K/SMS Music) Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 11:12:03 -0700 Subject: Please Help Stamp Out Blobby References!! Can't someone take the Mr. Blobby thing to the Mr. Blobby mailing list or something? If I see that name again, I'm gonna scream! Real loud! - -Matthew (who won't again utter the Mr. B. word) Matthew Kinsella/SMS Music -Used CDs that work! Despite what Mike says! Yankees 2 games, Seattle 0 games // THE QUOTE: She said that she was working for the ABC news/It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use -Elvis Costello - ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Lisa K. Cunningham/ Central Campaign Office * (Visit alt.tv.vr5!) Virtual Storm: an organization dedicated to the fight to bring back VR.5 ***finger adebliec@daniel.drew.edu for info on saving VR.5 from extinction - ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 14:09:37 EST Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #19 > OK. Here we go AGAIN. That makes: > 3 for "Blobby who?" > 2 for "As tmbg as my witness, I'll never go stupid agian" > 1 for "Oh shame, I know the real Mr. Blobby (sob sob)" I sadly subscribe to the third option on your ballot. Is there anyone out there who likes Mr.Blobby? I don't know Blobby well enough to judge, but there are those who do like Barney. > From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" > Thank you, Jen! De rien, mon amie! >> :) Of course we could always > > just run around accosting people on public transportation in this > > manner. ;) FUN!! > MARTA MARTA MARTA MARTA rocks! Take MARTA, it's MARTA!! (Or it's smarta) > > Hugs and Kisses to All, > > (but not from me) > > does that mean I'm supposed to go around hugging and kissing > everybody? Whatever would Frank say? I never said YOU had to do it for me. How do you know that everyone would consent to you doing that anyway. I just added the disclaimer because I knew that otherwise people would be begging me to keep my promise! ;) Love you people, "Jen" (as affectionately referred to by Cathy) ------------------------------ From: jiffy boy Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 13:07:13 -0500 Subject: Re: Math People At 12:51 PM 10/6/95 -0500, you wrote: >Funny--it seems that most of the math-and-science type people I know >are not TMBG fans. I'm an english and psych major, and my other >TMBG-listening friends are music, art history and anthro. My >boyfriend is a physics major, but after months and months of >conversion attempts, he JUST DOES NOT GET IT (*sigh*). Most of my >other more-mathematically-minded-than-I friends are just sort of >indifferent.... funny, around here (the universe[ity] of texas)all the people I know who are Giants fans are compumathsciencetype people. me the exception, being of the liberal arts persuasion. paUl ------------------------------ From: jiffy boy Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 13:04:15 -0500 Subject: Re: Don't mean to complain! At 01:48 PM 10/6/95 EDT, you wrote: > >- I have been on the mail-list for over a year (when it's been working) i've been on much longer than that... >This IS a THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS mailing list! > >I only have a few minutes a day to read this (and the Newsgroup). >Please try to keep the subject to TMBG, EVEN REMOTELY. >When people post without any regard to the relevancy of their posts, >it irritates people (like me) who don't have alot of time to sift through >the garbage and also people who pay for their Email and Internet access. I >have brought this up before and I usually get Email from several people >agreeing with me or thanking me for mentioning it. this is not one of the aboved mentioned types of letters. The list is open to free discussion of anything, it's just that the main topic is TMBG. what did your letter have to do with TMBG? ------------------------------ From: ntodd@moose.uvm.edu Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 14:54:54 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #19 On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, Jennifer Parker wrote: > > OK. Here we go AGAIN. That makes: > > 3 for "Blobby who?" > > 2 for "As tmbg as my witness, I'll never go stupid agian" > > 1 for "Oh shame, I know the real Mr. Blobby (sob sob)" > > I sadly subscribe to the third option on your ballot. Is there > anyone out there who likes Mr.Blobby? I don't know Blobby well > enough to judge, but there are those who do like Barney. I really don't want to extend the Mr. Blobby conversation any farther than it has to go, but i haven't said anything about it up until now, so I guess i get at least one message. I want to know who Mr. Blobby is (I guess i'll have to find him on the www since everyone seems to reply to curiosity with: "you are better off not knowing"). Bullshit. I think knowledge is almost always better to have than not to have. I have watched a barney episode, and, unlike some one who posted earlier, I would not choose to go back and not watch it. I do not overly dislike barney, although the show is cute and cheesy (2 things, by the way that TMBG must be classified as by unbeleivers quite often), i do think its intentions are good (the spread of love and good manners, etc). I cannot stand it when ppl warp the song in a violent manner, it goes against the best part of Barney, the part that should be liked even though much of the show is too cheesey. I want to know who Mr. Blobby is just because I'm curious about things, what tv is like in other countries, how is Mr. b like barney? I try to be open-minded about such things, and I wish more ppl could be. Sorry if you are somehow insulted by this message, i am only trying to get my point across in the most direct, understandable way. Nathan Todd or IRC's amazing Linnel (Heheh) ------------------------------ From: Roger Suski Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 14:42:13 -0500 Subject: Re: mr who? Hello there..i am new to the list...and i must say...you all sure do write a ton of mail :) A few comments.... 1. I don't know who Mr. Blobby is 2. I like Phoebe as the JH girl name 3. I am a Radio/Television major and also love TMBG. I spose that shoots the compsci theory down, but strangely enough, when I was indoctrinated to TMBG, I was an EE major. So, how does that work? later days roger <--- don't have to take no more math nor science :) "If I didn't have disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments" Linnel-Flansburg Roger Suski o RSuski@siu.edu Southern Illinois Universtiy ------------------------------ From: Roger Suski Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 14:42:36 -0500 Subject: Re: Not just TMBG hey there....where can one get one of those...i found an old Reel to reel with Carl on it...but the recording quality wasn't the best.... thanks in advance "If I didn't have disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments" Linnel-Flansburg Roger Suski o RSuski@siu.edu Southern Illinois Universtiy ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 15:52:21 EST Subject: Digests!!! Hey,. could someone please send me copies of digest #17 and #19, mine were all funny with computer code at the bottom. I didn't like it at all. I would be quite happy if someone would forward those to me at the address below. Thanks!!!! ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 15:54:22 EST Subject: Sorry! Sorry, I forgot to include my e-mail address and name and all. Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu Bye! ------------------------------ From: Taloola@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 16:09:32 -0400 Subject: Ya FRUGAL~~~~!!! Whoa, this is odd. Anyway, anyone got the track listing for Superfueled? (Whatever it is) Please email me also if you reply to this list. ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 16:56:41 -0400 Subject: Re: its a secret.... In a message dated 95-10-06 02:03:44 EDT, you write: >sophie: >Hi all, this is soph and aimee, your friendly neighborhood hoosiers. >anyway, we had the misfortune to fall upon the image of mr. blobby on the >web. he's a lumkpy pink mass with a green bow-tie. for those of you who >have not seen it, i do not advise doing so. >aimee: >OH FOR SHAME (aimee throws her little head, weeping, onto sara's >shoulder), I AM NO LONGER A MR.BLOBBY VIRGIN!!! AAHHH *choke* *sniff* >Put me on the vote list for. . .for, oh i can't bear to say it. . .for "yes, >I. .I KNOW WHO MR.BLOBBY IS!!" I told y'all....and ya didn't believe me. Why don't you listen to the Dogg BlueDogg ------------------------------ From: Jason Weiner Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 14:53:13 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Mistah Hlobby On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, aimee elisabeth pflieger wrote: > make that 6 votes for "who?" > > "that's so '87, Heather" > -"Heathers", one of the best movies in the world > I certainly agree! (see I do write the list) Make that seven votes for "whut in thu goldurn hell is thet them-there Blobby-thang? Ptoo!" and also, wouldn't infinite math be infinitely harder? ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 17:11:24 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: hi, my name is Aimee, and I am a tmbg-aholic On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, jiffy boy wrote: > At 10:53 AM 10/6/95 -0500, you wrote: > >Can I ask you guys something? I was just wondering if anyone was > >inroduced to tmbg while driving in a funny little compact car on the way > >to a sleep-over by a girl named Arshia, wondering what the deal was with > >a song named "Spider"? > > no, although i was riding in a car, but the song i heard, off of a tape made > by a friend of my brother, was Ana Ng. we listened to it about 60 times > trying to figure out what the words were (it was about a seventeenth > generation tape) which later induced me to venture out to a local music > store and pick up an album with a picture of an acordion on the back... > WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!! :) . . .aims ------------------------------ From: Matt Powers Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 15:43:03 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: hi, my name is Aimee, and I am a tmbg-aholic This is so detailed as to border on the ludicrous. And the answer is no. At least not for me. I was introduced in a funny-little compact car on the way to my house being driven home by my friend Sarah who is now not even as big a fan as I. Marvin of 41 On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, aimee elisabeth pflieger wrote: > Can I ask you guys something? I was just wondering if anyone was > inroduced to tmbg while driving in a funny little compact car on the way > to a sleep-over by a girl named Arshia, wondering what the deal was with > a song named "Spider"? > Just asking. . . > -absolutely aimee's mood > ------------------------------ From: Matt Powers Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 15:50:32 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Hall of Heads Last night, Gertie, love of my life, and I were listening to Hall of Heads and she leapt forth from her chair and sayeth she, "Can I see the lyrics to this song?" And they were produced promptly. And sayeth she, "For some reason, this song reminds me of the Eagles' song, Hotel California." So, everyone, what say you? Marvin of 41 ------------------------------ From: DrSzusz@aol.com Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 19:09:48 -0400 Subject: Re: hi, my name is Aimee, and... HI! Although MOST of the lyrics are discernable, the ones your probibly having trouble with are the corus, "Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still hav'nt walked in the glow of each others majestic presense. Listen Ana here my words, they're the ones you would think I would say if there was a me for you". Hope that helps. (now if we only knew what the hell they mean!) Its still one of my fav. TMBG songs. Philip ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 17:45:58 -0700 Subject: Re: Don't mean to complain! >- I have been on the mail-list for over a year (when it's been working) >- and I always bring this up when it happens > (I hate to be known as the bitchy one but...) :) >This IS a THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS mailing list! >I only have a few minutes a day to read this (and the Newsgroup). >Please try to keep the subject to TMBG, EVEN REMOTELY. >When people post without any regard to the relevancy of their posts, >it irritates people (like me) who don't have alot of time to sift through >the garbage and also people who pay for their Email and Internet access. I >have brought this up before and I usually get Email from several people >agreeing with me or thanking me for mentioning it. I also get 1 or 2 >responses from "newbies" who feel that a TMBG list should be open for any >topic and have no clue as to why this presents such a problem. >So please be considerate and think before you post. Thanks. Okay, I haven't said it before and I'll say it again. If you don't like it, get off. I pay for my internet access, and I have very little time to waste on mediocre things, but I personally love the power that this group has in inspiring off-topic conversations, and, I'm pretty sure that I could tie any conversation back to TMBG that I have seen on this group. i.e. How about the T.V. video references that I was discussing a few days ago. "The TV's in esparonto, you know that that's a bitch..." - -Rabid Child ("Go ahead try me, anything, anything, I'll take em', I'm king of the world, BANG! ya' hear me? The WORLD..."8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 22:20:42 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: hi, my name is Aimee, and... > HI! > Although MOST of the lyrics are discernable, the ones your probibly > having trouble with are the corus, "Ana Ng and I are getting old and we still > hav'nt walked in the glow of each others majestic presense. > Listen Ana here my words, they're the ones you would think I would say if > there was a me for you". > Hope that helps. (now if we only knew what the hell they mean!) > Its still one of my fav. TMBG songs. Philip > I think it means this: There is a person known as Ana Ng (good start, huh?)The singer of the song has known her for a long time.They talk to each other and whatnot, but they really have not realized each other's true depth and inner presence. The singer of the tune is just pretending to understand her, and spouts of a lot of garbage that he doesn't mean, but he wants to believe that he is meant for her (he kinda really wants to believe what he is saying). How about that everybody? - -aims ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 22:29:15 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Mistah Hlobby 7 who Blobby 2 thanks tmbg 2 yup, that's him all right ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 23:32:52 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Off Topic Discussion We have some options about off topic discussions on this list. They are as follows: 1) The list could be moderated. This means someone has to approve the contents of each message before it is sent to the list. I will _NOT_ moderate it, so someone would have to step forward to do this. I do not like this option. 2) We could create a moderated 'low bandwidth' list which will only get concert date reports, new album reports, and other stuff. Again, needs a moderator which I am _NOT_ doing. 3) I could set the "Reply" addresses on messages bounced through the list to the sender of the message rather then the list. Right now replying to a message from the list should automatically send back to the list. By sending to the author a lot of 'noise' won't actually go to the list. 4) Off topic discussions could result in removal from the list. I don't like this because it requires me to do work. It's your list, I'll take suggestions on what to do (or not do anything at all). Please send them to me, and not the list though. For those of you getting DIGESTS. Are they the right length? If you think they are too long or too short, please let me know. If they are just right, just stay quiet. :-) - --TMBG List Admin. - -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Date: 07 Oct 95 00:46:56 EDT Subject: Re: hi, my name is Aimee, and... i always thought ana ng was about a lonely guy who had decided that the perfect person for him is out there somewhere (probably on the other side of the world); he hasnt met her yet, but he keeps hoping he will and fantasizes that shes always just five minutes away. i dont think shes an actual person so much as an idea. but then what do i know? - -sara- ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 23:55:22 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: hi, my name is Aimee, and.. > i always thought ana ng was about a lonely guy who had decided that the perfect > person for him is out there somewhere (probably on the other side of the > world); he hasnt met her yet, but he keeps hoping he will and fantasizes that > shes always just five minutes away. > i dont think shes an actual person so much as an idea. > but then what do i know? > -sara- > not much. . . :) ------------------------------ From: John Koch Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 11:46:04 -0700 Subject: RE: hi, my name is Aimee, and I am a tmbg-aholic - ------ =_NextPart_000_01BA93E1.7555EC80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Oddly enough, the first time I heard TMBG I was in a small compact car = on my way to the beach for a campout. My friend had just got flood = after it was released. We kept trying to find Birdhouse, which he told = us was the first song on the tape, which caused us endless confusion. =20 On another note, I actually met Flansburgh after a concert in Seattle, = I didn't get to talk to him much but It was very cool. Has anyone else = had personal encounters with either of the Johns? - -John Koch Visit my Web Page.......PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.cwu.edu/~kochj/home.html - ------ =_NextPart_000_01BA93E1.7555EC80 Content-Type: application/ms-tnef Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 eJ8+IgUSAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAENgAQAAgAAAAIAAgABBJAG ABABAAABAAAADAAAAAMAADADAAAACwAPDgAAAAACAf8PAQAAAEEAAAAAAAAAgSsfpL6jEBmdbgDd AQ9UAgAAAAB0bWJnLWxpc3RAdWZwLm9yZwBTTVRQAHRtYmctbGlzdEB1ZnAub3JnAAAAAB4AAjAB AAAABQAAAFNNVFAAAAAAHgADMAEAAAASAAAAdG1iZy1saXN0QHVmcC5vcmcAAAADABUMAQAAAAMA /g8GAAAAHgABMAEAAAAUAAAAJ3RtYmctbGlzdEB1ZnAub3JnJwACAQswAQAAABcAAABTTVRQOlRN QkctTElTVEBVRlAuT1JHAAADAAA5AAAAAAsAQDoBAAAAAgH2DwEAAAAEAAAAAAAAA/4uAQiABwAY AAAASVBNLk1pY3Jvc29mdCBNYWlsLk5vdGUAMQgBBIABADEAAABSRTogaGksIG15IG5hbWUgaXMg QWltZWUsIGFuZCBJIGFtIGEgdG1iZy1haG9saWMAcA8BBYADAA4AAADLBwoABgALAC4ABAAFACQB ASCAAwAOAAAAywcKAAYACwAnADQABQBNAQEJgAEAIQAAADFDOEQwRERCQ0RGRkNFMTE5NDUyNDQ0 NTUzNTQwMDAwAB0HAQOQBgBQBAAAEgAAAAsAIwAAAAAAAwAmAAAAAAALACkAAAAAAAMANgAAAAAA QAA5ACDHqf0blLoBHgBwAAEAAAAxAAAAUkU6IGhpLCBteSBuYW1lIGlzIEFpbWVlLCBhbmQgSSBh bSBhIHRtYmctYWhvbGljAAAAAAIBcQABAAAAFgAAAAG6lBv9btsNjR3/zRHOlFJERVNUAAAAAB4A HgwBAAAABQAAAFNNVFAAAAAAHgAfDAEAAAAUAAAAam9obmtvY2hAYWRzbmV0Lm5ldAADAAYQQUoZ KgMABxCyAQAAHgAIEAEAAABlAAAAT0RETFlFTk9VR0gsVEhFRklSU1RUSU1FSUhFQVJEVE1CR0lX QVNJTkFTTUFMTENPTVBBQ1RDQVJPTk1ZV0FZVE9USEVCRUFDSEZPUkFDQU1QT1VUTVlGUklFTkRI QURKVVNURwAAAAACAQkQAQAAALwCAAC4AgAAtgMAAExaRnWO1umI/wAKAQ8CFQKoBesCgwBQAvIJ AgBjaArAc2V0MjcGAAbDAoMyA8UCAHByQnER4nN0ZW0CgzM3AuQHEwKDNARGEzMxIGhGaXgJgHMT sAKAfRcKgAjPCdk7F9kxMjjjGJ8KBTI1NQKACoENscELYG5nMTAzFFALAyBsaTE4MALRaS34MTQ0 DfAM0B2TC1UUUQUL8mMSoCBPZGRsDHkgCfAIYGdoLCBwdGhlIB1gEaAFQHQxB3EgSSAgYAsRIFTI TUJHITF3YQQgC4DQIGEgcwDAbAMgBaBqbQqwYwVAYwrBAiAgTm0fsCIwH7B0byBDYv8hcBFwIIAF sSKgI6AjQAhgeHQuIAXQH7ADUAiQbichoBGAIaBqdSDBZ2/7BUAcAG8EcCKQAYAEkCJgtwVAIjIX 4GwhcBGwZCYhElcgcGtlBTF0cnldC4BnJHIdYCbBQiCgZI5oCGARsCAwd2hpJSF7IGEkgGwhoCdA IiMgWHPfAiAqcCPhIFIBkHArlyOgPytxLIMmsSkQBBEFoG5mvSdAaQIgJiEKhQqFTyKBfx/gIFEF wDIxK5EhMSNhdS8i4R+wB4AFQEYcEXNi3whwIBAoFSWRAiBjBJAFQHsicQZgYQJAKRAgMCFAZPBp ZG4nJ2Ez0SSCB0DWayRyK9BtJAB1JSE0UPUFQEkolHYEkB+wBaAG8O0mIUgiQQBweQIgIHApAP8R sCbjLpARoAIgB0AfwQWgvnUCMDtBIiAogCUwZTyBiShRb2YgQ0pvaACAij8xHC09oiBLbxFwPQqF VgQAKIEkESmgYiAUUGE3AC5BBFBMRbBBU0UhQd4KhWgCQCBwOi8vd0PALmMId3UuCYB1L35rWT9R ai8rUAeALkNQbe5sCocLZBVhcx0QHyEAUF8TUDKxI3EKhRcBAEhQAwAQEAAAAAADABEQAAAAAEAA BzBgV/4fG5S6AUAACDBgV/4fG5S6AR4APQABAAAABQAAAFJFOiAAAAAAiiM= - ------ =_NextPart_000_01BA93E1.7555EC80-- ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 02:12:52 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: hi, my name is Aimee, and... On 7 Oct 1995, Sara B. Carmichael wrote: > i always thought ana ng was about a lonely guy who had decided that the perfect > person for him is out there somewhere (probably on the other side of the > world); he hasnt met her yet, but he keeps hoping he will and fantasizes that > shes always just five minutes away. > i dont think shes an actual person so much as an idea. > but then what do i know? > -sara- > i heard somewhere it was a love song about some girl in china. the other sara ------------------------------ From: Jason Weiner Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 01:05:10 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Blobby News On Thu, 5 Oct 1995, Matt Powers wrote: > For those using the World Wide Web, and wanting to know what Mr. Blobby > looks like, I found some > pictures of him at: > http://itre.uncecs.edu/misc/images/images.html > > He's analagous to Barney, the Purple Dinosaur that has my kid sister > brain washed. > > Marvin of 41 > > Trust me. DO NOT DO THIS!!! I just did at about 1 in the morning, and it about frightened me out of my bunny slippers. It's on a page of random satellite images captured from around the world, and the actual link goes something like "British sensation Mr. Blobby floats in space and sings in a Robert Palmer video." I....I don't know if I can say this....oh, what the heck...I peeked!....and my life will never be the same. Blobby has been permanently scarred on my psyche and my retinas. Is there a support group for this sort of thing? Oh on other net-surfing news, if you look on a list of fake Magic:the Gathering cards (you can get there from an index of Magic stuff, and DON'T dis me about the game) there is a Blue Thing card that has the Fingertips quote at the bottom. They even credit it right. And you said the game was a waste of time. Jason "Hail Eris!" "All Hail Discordia!" ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 09:41:06 -0600 Subject: Re: Math People I've found no correlation between math people and TMBG lovers around here. However, I certainly do fit in that category, as I am deciding between math and comp sci as my major when I go to college next year. ****************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: ntodd@moose.uvm.edu Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 09:45:56 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Blobby News > > > For those using the World Wide Web, and wanting to know what Mr. Blobby > > looks like, I found some > > pictures of him at: > > http://itre.uncecs.edu/misc/images/images.html > > > > He's analagous to Barney, the Purple Dinosaur that has my kid sister > > brain washed. > > > > Marvin of 41 > > I just checked out the web site and was surprised: Mr. Blobby is just an ugly mass of yellow and pink. Barney is much better. First of all, Barney is purple. Purple by itself is a great color scheme (i love purple). Yellow and Pink is horrible! The other thing is that barney always seems to be a real happy guy, going about having fun and stuff. Mr. Blobby looks like he's just a big puppet standing around being absolutely stupid. A big lump of pink and yellow stupidity. Huh. Nathan ------------------------------ From: Jonah Cosley Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 07:57:45 -0700 (PDT) Subject: RE: hi, my name is Aimee, and I am a tmbg-aholic > On another note, I actually met Flansburgh after a concert in Seattle, > I didn't get to talk to him much but It was very cool. Has anyone else > had personal encounters with either of the Johns? > > -John Koch > Visit my Web Page.......PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > http://www.cwu.edu/~kochj/home.html No, but I met Tony Maimone...not for very long either, but it was cool... Jonah Cosley -- cosley@eskimo.com Fuzzy Bunnies Incorparated British Comedy page: http://www.eskimo.com/~cosley Neat links, join our mailing list, find out who we are! ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 11:08:04 -0400 Subject: Re: Blobby News In a message dated 95-10-07 04:10:12 EDT, you write: >Trust me. DO NOT DO THIS!!! I just did at about 1 in the morning, and it >about frightened me out of my bunny slippers. It's on a page of random >satellite images captured from around the world, and the actual link goes >something like "British sensation Mr. Blobby floats in space and sings in >a Robert Palmer video." I....I don't know if I can say this....oh, what >the heck...I peeked!....and my life will never be the same. Blobby has >been permanently scarred on my psyche and my retinas. Is there a support >group for this sort of thing? This sensation is known in England is Blobby Syndrome. Similar to Barney Syndrome. Symptoms include; sudden and uncontrolable vomiting, suicide attempts, and urges to drink about a gallon of boiling tea in one gulp.... Have you expierenced any of these yet? Dr. Blue Dog ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 11:08:03 -0400 Subject: Re: Don't mean to complain! In a message dated 95-10-06 19:49:16 EDT, you write: >"The TV's in esparonto, you know that that's a bitch..." >-Rabid Child One question: How could the Rabid Child say that? HAMMER DOWN!!! BlueDog ------------------------------ From: obo@hopf.dnai.com (Bo Orloff) Date: Sat, 07 Oct 1995 15:48:01 -0700 Subject: They might be TMBG's Favorite Band (A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg) Hey all you TMBG fans, pardon the interruption, but... Pere Ubu, the legendary Cleveland, Ohio-based new wave pioneers, are celebrating their 20th (!) anniversary as a band. Ubu have often been cited by John & John as one of their biggest influences and are the band that traded their bass player Tony Maimone to TMBG (for a player to be named later). So what are they doing to celebrate? 1. They've just released a new album, RAYGUN SUITCASE, and a box set reissue of their classic first 4 singles (on Tim/Kerr Records in North America and Cooking Vinyl in the rest of the world). 2. They're setting up a new WWW site (right next door to the TMBG site) at: http://www.dnai.com/~obo/ubu/ 3. They're going on tour!! Ubu are one of the best & most unique live acts in Rock history. If you're lucky enough to be in or near a town they're playing, be sure to check them out: PERE UBU TOUR DATES NORTH AMERICA Wed 10/11 Ithaca NY The Haunt Thu 10/12 Portland ME Granny Killam's Fri 10/13 Boston MA Mama Kin Music Hall Sat 10/14 Providence RI Met Cafe Sun 10/15 New York NY Wetlands Tue 10/17 Philadelphia PA Upstairs At Nick's Wed 10/18 Washington DC 930 Club Thu 10/19 Toronto ONT Velvet Underground Fri 10/20 Cleveland OH Agora Ballroom Sat 10/21 Chicago IL Elbo Room Sun 10/23 Madison WI Club De Wah Tue 10/24 Minneapolis MN First Avenue Fri 10/27 Vancouver BC Starfish Sat 10/28 Portland OR Berbatis Pan Sun 10/29 Seattle WA RKCNDY/Moe Tue 10/31 San Jose CA Red Light Wed 11/01 San Francisco CA Bottom of the Hill Thu 11/02 Santa Monica CA Alligator Lounge EUROPE Sun 11/05 Hamburg Logo Mon 11/06 Berlin Loft Tue 11/07 Bochum Bahnhof Langendreer Wed 11/08 Brussels Botanique Orangerie Thu 11/09 Lindau Club Vaudeville Fri 11/10 Fribourg (CH) Fri-son Sun 11/12 Karlsruhe Subway Mon 11/13 Frankfurt Cookys Tue 11/14 Paris (Ris Orangis) Le Plan Wed 11/15 Amsterdam Melkweg Thu 11/16 Nijmegen Doornroosje Fri 11/17 London LA2 We now return you to your regularly scheduled TMBG programming... - -- Bo Orloff ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #21 *****************************************