From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #24 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Monday, 9 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 024 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Matthew James Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 12:02:24 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: star wars > > well how could you not notice that Carrie Fisher was in the blues brothers? Heheh, i was being factitious (took me 5 minutes to look up the spelling of that word ;) > > Does anyone know when tickets go on sale for NOVEMBER 4 IN CLEVELAND AT > THE ANGORA THEATER????? We (soph and I) checked ticketmaster already and > they said they didn't know what we were talking about. How convenient. > -aimee > Whoa, does this mean that they are touring this fall, possibly the East Coast or the US? Know of any dates for Baltimore-DC area shows? - --Matt - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Young Jedi Paul (Paul Stysley) Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 13:01:26 -0400 Subject: Red Dwarf and johnsin the next star wars Hi lo how's everybody? Yes! Red dwarf is wonderful. Would you like some toast? hee. This is the bestest list in the whole wide world. TMBG, Bill Nye, star trek and especially star wars in one big happy thing. AH! refreshing. Ya know for the next Star wars they should give the johns a Star Destroyer. Or they could be like a Cantina band. hmmmmm TMBG and star wars. ok enough. I'll go now. thanks. TTFN may the force be with you paul (iamafish) see see! thats where I get the Iamafish from Red Dwarf eh! eh! ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 12:19:16 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Red Dwarf and johnsin the next star wars On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Young Jedi Paul wrote: > Hi lo > how's everybody? Yes! Red dwarf is wonderful. Would you like some > toast? hee. This is the bestest list in the whole wide world. TMBG, Bill > Nye, star trek and especially star wars in one big happy thing. AH! > refreshing. Ya know for the next Star wars they should give the johns > a Star Destroyer. Or they could be like a Cantina band. hmmmmm TMBG > and star wars. ok enough. I'll go now. thanks. TTFN > may the force be with you > paul (iamafish) > > see see! thats where I get the Iamafish from Red Dwarf eh! eh! > I have the double record (yes, they really are records) of the star wars movies back at home, and listen to the cantina band song all the time. And I agree that this list rocks. And on the far off chance that there are, are any of you (besides aimee) familiar with Barenaked Ladies? I knowe I have mentioned them before, but if there is ever a place to meet people with like music tastes, it is here. Anybody? soph > ------------------------------ From: Brad Tutterow Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 12:37:59 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Red Dwarf and johnsin the next star wars Star Wars?? Red Dwarf?? I thought this was a TMBG mailist list. I'm sure there are other lists out there to accomodate yoingu.  ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 14:34:58 EST Subject: I love you, you love me..... > I have > watched a barney episode, and, unlike some one who posted earlier, I > would not choose to go back and not watch it. I do not overly dislike > barney, although the show is cute and cheesy (2 things, by the way that > TMBG must be classified as by unbeleivers quite often), i do think its > intentions are good (the spread of love and good manners, etc). I cannot > stand it when ppl warp the song in a violent manner, it goes against the > best part of Barney, the part that should be liked even though much of > the show is too cheesey. HOORAY!!!!! Fellow non-haters of Barney!! I actually like Barney, but I didn't want to start a flame war about him as well as Blobby. Blobby is UGLY!! Barney is a cute purple dinosaur. (And, NO, I don't think real dinosaurs are cute). Barney was meant for _children_ so I think adults should just deal. I don't like a lot of things that were meant for children-----maybe that's because I am no longer a child. Just a guess. Oh, no insults taken---I just did not understand how even little kids could look at something as ugly as Mr. Blobby without getting very sick! Jennifer ############################################################ "If it weren't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 15:23:08 EST Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #23 > So here are the suggestions I have so far,(not counting blatant spam ones > like 'Jerry') Keep sending 'em in, and we can all vote for them starting on > friday! Whatever happened to Phoebe? Din't I see someone suggest that? > > Oh, my God. I thought I was the only person in America who witnessed the > brilliance that is Delicatessen. It was twisted but, dammit, it was good. Glad > to know there are others out there. > Is that that wierd French movie? Someone refresh my movie memory--I'm getting it confused with this other Frnch movie about a dog and all his twisted owners. I KNOW I've seen Delicatessen though! Does anyone know the name of this movie about the dog? Jennifer ############################################################ "If it weren't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ From: Liam Singer Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 13:10:52 -0700 (PDT) Subject: copy shop So, all of you old list-readers probably know the answer already, but what's the deal with this? In Snowball in Hell, they say "My fantasy is in a xerox shop" and then in Sleeping in the flowers, they talkabout hanging out in a copy shop, hoping the clerk lady will notice them. So who is she? Oh yeah, and the JH girl's name is definetally Genevieve Liam - -I thought for a second my monkey had rabies. Thank god it turns out he had just gotten into the cool whip! ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 16:23:48 EST Subject: Re: copy shop > Oh yeah, and the JH girl's name is definetally Genevieve > Now, is this Genevieve pronounced A) JEN-uh-veev or B) jean-vee-EHV because the French way is definitely better!! St. Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris by the way (I think!) Jennifer ############################################################ "If it weren't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ From: THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 15:40:01 -0500 (EST) Subject: RE: copy shop I thought that it said coffee shop in Sleeping in The Flowers! I could be wrong, though, being a caffeine addict! ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 15:44:16 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #23 On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Jennifer Parker wrote: > > So here are the suggestions I have so far,(not counting blatant spam ones > > like 'Jerry') Keep sending 'em in, and we can all vote for them starting on > > friday! > Whatever happened to Phoebe? Din't I see someone suggest that? > > > > > Oh, my God. I thought I was the only person in America who witnessed the > > brilliance that is Delicatessen. It was twisted but, dammit, it was good. Glad > > to know there are others out there. > > > Is that that wierd French movie? Someone refresh my movie > memory--I'm getting it confused with this other Frnch movie about a > dog and all his twisted owners. I KNOW I've seen Delicatessen > though! Does anyone know the name of this movie about the dog? > > Jennifer > ############################################################ > > "If it weren't for disappointments, > I wouldn't have any appointments." > > Jennifer Parker > jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu > > ################################################################## I dont know about the french dog movie, but has anyone seen Pocket Change? soph > ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 16:51:58 EDT Subject: RE: copy shop > I thought that it said coffee shop in Sleeping in The Flowers! I could be > wrong, though, being a caffeine addict! > It is copy shop. Its in the lyrics. ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 15:50:36 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: copy shop On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Jennifer Parker wrote: > > > Oh yeah, and the JH girl's name is definetally Genevieve > > > Now, is this Genevieve pronounced > A) JEN-uh-veev > > or > > B) jean-vee-EHV > > because the French way is definitely better!! > > St. Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris by the way (I think!) > > Jennifer > ############################################################ > > "If it weren't for disappointments, > I wouldn't have any appointments." > > Jennifer Parker > jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu > > ################################################################## > I agree with the french pronunciation. much cooler. soph ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 15:54:32 -0500 (EST) Subject: RE: copy shop On Mon, 9 Oct 1995 THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU wrote: > I thought that it said coffee shop in Sleeping in The Flowers! I could be > wrong, though, being a caffeine addict! > i thought it was a coffee shop too. They do have a fascination for coffee youknow. makes sense to me. soph ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 15:20:26 MDT Subject: Coffee shop, not copy shop In Sleeping in the Flowers/Snowball In Hell: Make my vote also for: It's COFFEE SHOP, not copy shop. Russ <;) =============================================================================== RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "The one man lays down 10 percent, another one trembles and shakes, I save my money. I handle snakes" --Tonio K =============================================================================== ------------------------------ From: ntodd@moose.uvm.edu Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 14:32:00 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Red Dwarf and johnsin the next star wars > > Star Wars?? Red Dwarf?? I thought this was a TMBG mailist list. > I'm sure there are other lists out there to accomodate yoingu. > Hasn't this already been discussed about a thousand times? Well, speaking of star wars, i am an immense fan. TMBG would rock the next star wars movies: that is something i had never even thought about until it was mentioned on this list. Lucas is amazing, but somehow i doubt he would place two oh so wonderful johns in his new movies... Too bad, cause i can hardly imagine anything cooler happening to the star wars universe! And in TMBG land... It has amazes me at how many ppl on the internet absolutely *love* the Lincoln album. For me, it has never been my favorite. I am a thorough 'Giants fan, though, and I like all of Their albums. Lincoln, although I don't like it as much as many, has some great tunes on it. Ana Ng is wonderful, and I really like two of the other attempts by the johns to whip up love songs: They'll Need a Crane, and I've Got a Match. They are both really neat songs, and continue to show TMBG's reliability in never writing a straitforward love song. I like TMBG's almost-love songs a lot: She's An Angel is another good example. They seem to always be so refreshing, and never give way to all the silliness (or is that lack of silliness) present in every single other music group's love songs. Anyway... Thanks for listening! Nathan ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 17:43:36 EST Subject: Re: hi, my name is Aimee, and.. > In the video, the map shows Bulgaria (look close), but I don't know if > that's where the '64 world's fair was. The 1964 world's fair was in New York, NY. My mother lived in good Old NY at the time and has shit loads of stuff from it. ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 16:47:54 -0500 (EST) Subject: RE: copy shop Oh well, I'm dumb. Maybe its a coincidence that xerox shop and copy shop were both mentioned! ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 17:47:08 EST Subject: Re: Ana Ng Interp > um, I think China isn't on the other side of the equator from the U.S. (I > think -- I don't have a map in front of me). I believe the Johns were > thinking about Vietnam when they wrote the song (At least, I think I saw > that assertion in an interview or FAQ somewhere.) I don't know where that > puts the "speaker", maybe in Bulgaria (Like Jason Weiner (and others) said). They were thinking about Vietnam, but on the exact other side of the world from Vietnam is Peru. So it apparently has nothing to do with the US at all. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 17:50:27 EST Subject: Re: star wars > > my friends and I can act out the whole movie too! What a coincidence! > Everyone knows that The Princess Bride is the greatest movie ever made > (excepting a certain one starring George C. Scott that has a prophetic > name) and its even more fun if you annoy people by shouting "Hello! My > name is Inigo Montoyo..." at the top of your lungs. > > Jason "He's only mostly dead." > OH MY GOD!!!!!!! I'm not the only person out there with that entire movie memorized! I drive my friends absolutely nuts by acting out the movie at random points of my life. Thank you. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 17:55:07 -0400 Subject: Re: sighting of Mr. Blobby! In a message dated 95-10-09 12:04:22 EDT, you write: >I was looking at the Pink (not Big Blue) album today and noticed Mr. >Blobby on the sleeve! He's walking between the vacuum cleaner and >the radio. I couldn't believe it! ahem...that's not mister Blobby. That's a champaign bottle, I think. Blue Dog ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 17:55:45 EST Subject: Re: star wars > Its Westley, not Wesley, dammit. > "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ha ha ha ha ha > ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h..." (count them) > > Jason I did and that's not right. Its : " Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, Ah Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha , Ah Ha Ha H..." and then after a small pause he goes "THUD" Check me against the movie if you want. You'll find I'm right. If you're counting straight Ha's, you can drop the Ah's if you like, but you'll find he does say them, even if it does sound a little breathy. You can also hear part of the "a" on that last Ha. Sorry it's a sore spot with me ever since I fell on my history professor's shoe after acting that scene out in the hallway. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 18:01:27 EST Subject: Re: '64 world's fair > The Johns are only like 31 or maybe 32 so that would make them maybe > 1 year old when the 64 world's fair came around. Would that have any > kind of impact on them? It might, If their mothers took them to the Disney exhibitions at the fair. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: brown-eyed pickle boy Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 16:55:21 -0500 Subject: Re: Coffee shop, not copy shop At 03:20 PM 10/9/95 MDT, Russ Josephson x722 wrote: > >In Sleeping in the Flowers/Snowball In Hell: >Make my vote also for: >It's COFFEE SHOP, not copy shop. no, it's "copy Shop" -- check the liner notes/lyrics. I'm pretty sure it's that way in the lyrics files at thf FTP site, as well. searching for truth and freedom ------------------------------ From: brown-eyed pickle boy Date: Mon, 09 Oct 1995 16:57:57 -0500 Subject: Re: Ana Ng Interp At 05:47 PM 10/9/95 EST, The Princess Bridesmaid wrote: >They were thinking about Vietnam, but on the exact other side of the >world from Vietnam is Peru. So it apparently has nothing to do with >the US at all. thanks! the other paul and I (as well as scores of other people, I'm sure) have been wondering that, but in my case, I've just been too lazy to get out a globe and check the angles. searching for truth and freedom paul ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 18:12:10 EST Subject: Re: copy shop > > > Oh yeah, and the JH girl's name is definetally Genevieve > > > > > Now, is this Genevieve pronounced > > A) JEN-uh-veev > > > > or > > > > B) jean-vee-EHV > > > > because the French way is definitely better!! > > > > St. Genevieve is the patron saint of Paris by the way (I think!) > > Yeah, and it's also my middle name! I'm going to fight this one as hard as I did those other two last time this came up. Phoebe all the way!!! Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 17:14:21 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Coffee shop, not copy shop On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, brown-eyed pickle boy wrote: > At 03:20 PM 10/9/95 MDT, Russ Josephson x722 wrote: > > > >In Sleeping in the Flowers/Snowball In Hell: > >Make my vote also for: > >It's COFFEE SHOP, not copy shop. > > no, it's "copy Shop" -- check the liner notes/lyrics. I'm pretty sure it's > that way in the lyrics files at thf FTP site, as well. > > searching for truth and freedom > > well spank me. sorry folks. soph ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #24 *****************************************