From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #25 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Tuesday, 10 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 025 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 18:15:19 EST Subject: Re: Ana Ng Interp > thanks! the other paul and I (as well as scores of other people, I'm sure) > have been wondering that, but in my case, I've just been too lazy to get out > a globe and check the angles. You're welcome. The things I do when I'm bored. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: Mandy Cornick Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 17:29:38 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: copy shop On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Liam Singer wrote: > In Snowball in Hell, they say "My fantasy is in a xerox shop" I thought that they said "My panacea's in a xerox shop". It means something like paradise. I'm not sure if I spelled it right. Just wondering. > and then in Sleeping in the flowers, they talkabout hanging out in a > copy shop, hoping the clerk lady will notice them. But anyway, they do mention the copy/xerox shop thing a couple of times. Maybe it's just part of modern life to end up in a copy/xerox shop because our world is so paper driven...(or words) hey maybe they'll mention a fax shop someday! :) - -mandy ------------------------------ From: Particle Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 20:23:52 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Off-topic Posting God, This stuff is getting bad now... I have a high tolerance for spam too. __/_\__ Particle (rgauthie@ic.sunysb.edu) __/___\__ __/_____\__ "If I was smart, I would save up for a piece of string __/_______\__ and a rock to wind the string around." ------------------------------ From: William Pat Chuss Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 17:37:22 PDT Subject: Re: Off topic discussions & Digest length > > From: Leo Bicknell > Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 11:59:46 -0400 (EDT) > Subject: Off topic discussions & Digest length > > Well, I have gotten many responces on how the list should be > run, and they all seem to say the same thing. People like it the > way it is now. > > People are definately against any sort of moderation or other > content-policeing. That's fine with me. The responces were split > between having replies go to the list, and having them go to > the origional sender. I think I will keep them going to the list > just because that's the way it's always been. > > As for the digest length, I've gotten a couple of responces > to make it a little smaller. Apparently some (broken) software > is unhappy with a message over 32K, so I've set the digest size > at about 30K to keep people happy. I doubt I'll go any smaller > as that would make them come out too often. > > - --Your friendly list admin. > > - -- OK, how about we keep everybody happy. Let's use our own TMBG- discretion. If you respond to something, and more than four people on the list might be interested in the topic, then go ahead and send it in. If the response only pertains to two/three people, why not try sending it to them separately. It seems most of the bandwidth could be cut down if we don't see nine millions messages like: "I like this ." and "Yeah I like it too" (with the first post included to boot), and then three more to follow "Well what about this ?" It seems that stuff like that should be handled outside of the list. I do love the list, but I agree it gets way out of hand. Like people just like to see their "name in lights" or something. If anyone would like a copy of Rules_for_posting_to_Usenet (which pretty much apply to mailing lists as well), it's at tfm.mit.edu in the usenet-by-group/news.announce.newusers directory. And for God sake, make sure you use a condom. Pat ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 20:56:09 -0600 Subject: Re: Relevant Posts >>> You couldn't have said it too many times because the list has been down >>> for quite awhile. Do you remember what brought it down the last time? >>> Obviously not or you wouldn't have said what you did. I don't know who said this, but I believe the list went down not because of irrelevant posts, but because too many messages were bouncing and weren't being cleaned off the server. Just my $.02 ********************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer \ JC(A+R) / Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu \_______/ Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 02:08:54 +0100 Subject: Re: sighting of Mr. Blobby! >>I was looking at the Pink (not Big Blue) album today and noticed Mr. >>Blobby on the sleeve! He's walking between the vacuum cleaner and >>the radio. I couldn't believe it! > >ahem...that's not mister Blobby. That's a champaign bottle, I think. Whatever - they're *both* gonna give you a headache - 1 now - the other in the morning. Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 02:08:52 +0100 Subject: Re: Ana Ng Interp >> um, I think China isn't on the other side of the equator from the U.S. (I >> think -- I don't have a map in front of me). I believe the Johns were >> thinking about Vietnam when they wrote the song (At least, I think I saw >> that assertion in an interview or FAQ somewhere.) I don't know where that >> puts the "speaker", maybe in Bulgaria (Like Jason Weiner (and others) said). > >They were thinking about Vietnam, but on the exact other side of the >world from Vietnam is Peru. So it apparently has nothing to do with >the US at all. > >Cathy Taking the lyrics at face value, "My apartment looks upside down from there" could mean They were basing themselve in NYC - which would also explain the mention of the '64 World's Fair. Just a thought.... Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: Rhombus the Rhinoceros Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 21:16:23 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Off-topic Posting > God, This stuff is getting bad now... Is it just me or is far to much of this list taken up talking about how off-topic everyone else is? It seems that almost NOBODY that sends a message about how off-path the conversation has gotten bothers to make their message even remotely on-topic. Not setting a very good example, are we? And now, TMBG stuff... My feelings about John and John themselves and my quest for knowledge of Them has changed dramatically over the years I have been a TMBG fan. In the begining, I never gave the people behind those wonderful songs a second thought... Stage #1) ---Just a taste...--- Nathan after first hearing a bit of flood: 'Hey, this music really isn't that bad!' Stage #2) ---the TMBG madness begins...--- Nathan on the phone with his best friend: 'Hey, Tim, you think you could play that 'Istanbul' song over the phone to me?' Stage #3) ---knowledge is very limited--- Nathan 'explaining' his two TMBG albums to his brothers: 'Yeah, this flood is their new one i think, Apollo 18 is like a really early one or something.' Nathan talking to his best friend: 'One of them has a deep voice and the other a higher more nasal one: i wonder which one is which?' Stage #4) ---lack of knowledge is realized--- Nathan with a sudden insight: 'These guys must be incredible personalities! Why haven't i looked up any information on Them?' He finds articles on Them and Their concerts. He goes to bed that night a happy guy. Stage #5) ---need to be in Their presence arrises--- Nathan, Ethan, and Tim, the friends three, find out about a TMBG concert in Burlington, VT, only 2 hours away! The concert is the defining point in their lives. Nathan, after the concert: 'Whoa.' Stage #6 ---Finality (present day)--- TMBG are gods and really cool ppl in general. Their songs are scripture and their images are holy. - --------------------------------- Just DAMN great are They, I say! Nathan ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 22:19:49 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: copy shop > > On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Liam Singer wrote: > > > In Snowball in Hell, they say "My fantasy is in a xerox shop" > > I thought that they said "My panacea's in a xerox shop". It means > something like paradise. I'm not sure if I spelled it right. Just > wondering. > > > and then in Sleeping in the flowers, they talkabout hanging out in a > > copy shop, hoping the clerk lady will notice them. > > But anyway, they do mention the copy/xerox shop thing a couple of times. > Maybe it's just part of modern life to end up in a copy/xerox shop > because our world is so paper driven...(or words) hey maybe they'll mention > a fax shop someday! :) The Johns will have to buy lots of paper! - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Mark Sehler Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 12:22:20 +1000 (EST) Subject: Animation & TMBG Hi everybogy, I'm an animator who is trying to get off the ground starring Squirt & Lucas, a 13 year old boy and his adopted rat brother who is a friend. A comic book is on the web http://www.planetx.com.au/ I want to use TMBG to create some title music for the opener of the series. In order to gain more leverage with the Australian Film Commission, if I had an international petition of those who would like to see a film made with these characters made, It would help. So email me if you think its worth while, and if TMBG would do a great Sound track for the opener. thanks Mark Sehler Mark@planetx.com.au No coffee for me boss. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 22:27:58 -0400 (EDT) Subject: abs. bill's I got a question about Absolutely Bill's Mood. The guy player the guitar over the phone, the esteemed Eugene Chadbourne, did he call into Dial-A-Song and play this on the tape and then TMBG picked it up and put it in A.B.M.? Any ideas on that? Secondly, damn I forgot what secondly was, if I remember I'll post again, Later Alligators. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 22:30:30 -0400 (EDT) Subject: secondly I remembered what question two was...How long does it take before a bag of TMBG coffee ferments or whithers away or whatever? I've had this bag since the Johns Hopkins show in March and it's still going strong (and it still has the drizzle spots on the bag from the rain that day) 7 months and going... - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam Fistler) Date: Mon, 9 Oct 95 22:29:35 EDT Subject: Re: Coffee shop, not copy shop >no, it's "copy Shop" -- check the liner notes/lyrics. I'm pretty sure it's >that way in the lyrics files at thf FTP site, as well. > "I got a crush | copy shop clerk | ..." from the lyrics off of JH. Even though a coffee shop clerk would make much more sence. But thats the problem now isn't it :). Anyway Linclon rules!! (And I just wana test out this mailer :) ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 20:41:55 -0700 Subject: Re: Ana Ng Interp >> um, I think China isn't on the other side of the equator from the U.S. (I >> think -- I don't have a map in front of me). I believe the Johns were >> thinking about Vietnam when they wrote the song (At least, I think I saw >> that assertion in an interview or FAQ somewhere.) I don't know where that >> puts the "speaker", maybe in Bulgaria (Like Jason Weiner (and others) said). > >They were thinking about Vietnam, but on the exact other side of the >world from Vietnam is Peru. So it apparently has nothing to do with >the US at all. > >Cathy Point made, but if you point a gun at the globe, resting the barrel on that globe , it will tilt upwards, pointing at, approximately NYC. 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: Rhombus the Rhinoceros Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 22:54:38 -0400 (EDT) Subject: They Might Be Giants Does anyone else out there think that They Might Be Giants is the best album? I have considered it my fav for some time now, ever since i bought it. Absolutely Bill's Mood is great, and so is She's an Angel, Don't Let's Start, Rythym Section Want Ad, Chess Piece Face, and many more. But my favorite of all is I Hope That I'll Get Old Before I Die. The vocals are superb, and all the clanking sounds are nifty too. This is one of the first of many TMBG songs about DEATH:) It rules. Anyone Else? Nathan ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 21:00:23 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: '64 world's fair > > The Johns are only like 31 or maybe 32 so that would make them maybe > > 1 year old when the 64 world's fair came around. Would that have any > > kind of impact on them? In the words of Flansburgh, it's later than you think. Flans is 35 and Linnell is 36. Sorry. ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 21:19:12 -0700 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants >Does anyone else out there think that They Might Be Giants is the best >album? I have considered it my fav for some time now, ever since i >bought it. Absolutely Bill's Mood is great, and so is She's an Angel, >Don't Let's Start, Rythym Section Want Ad, Chess Piece Face, and many >more. But my favorite of all is I Hope That I'll Get Old Before I Die. >The vocals are superb, and all the clanking sounds are nifty too. This is >one of the first of many TMBG songs about DEATH:) It rules. >Anyone Else? > >Nathan WAITWAITWAIT!!!!! You didn't mention... - -Rabid Child (Don't make me Shun you!") 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 21:20:45 -0700 Subject: Re: The "Name That JH Girl!" Contest.(Take 2) So here are the suggestions I have so far,(not counting blatant spam ones like 'Jerry') Keep sending 'em in, and we can all vote for them starting on friday! Zoe Madaline Chloe Alice Persephone The John Henry Girl Hagas Elizabeth Trinni Eunice Astra Little Lizzie Borden} (Well seeing as she's carrying that pick-axe O.J. Simpdaughter} and looking so demonic and all.) Phoebe Genevieve (*Pronounced JEN-uh-veev) Genevieve (*Pronounced jean-vee-EHV) soph - -Rabid Child (Oh, and Cathy, you don't get to vote till friday!) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 22:36:48 -0500 (EST) Subject: RE: They Might Be Giants I concur with your observation of tmbg as best album! It's a great walking album. Flood is a great car album. Apollo is a great going to work after school album. I haven't decided on Lincoln and JH except that JH is GREAT live! ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 17:29:48 +1200 Subject: who's been snorting in the flowers then? Re: sleeping in the flowers: It's a copy shop because who ever heard of a coffee shop clerk? Well really. Well I never. blah blah blah and etc. Mike __________________________________________________________ Old cat proverb: it is better to live one day as a tiger than a whole life as a worm. Old human proverb: Who ever heard of wormskin rug? (Red Dwarf) __________________________________________________________ Michael Carr -- email: ------------------------------ From: Erik Swedberg Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 23:44:36 -0500 (CDT) Subject: a mystery... Something for some reason has irked me for a few years and I was wanting any other insights/evidence in my detective work.... At their 92 concert in my town for apollo a couple of hitchhikers who said they lived in Brooklyn (the hitchhikers) real close to TMBG told me that the John's were both homosexual--and that's why the johns live in the same apartment, etc.... Well, this was kind of a shock (that is I didn't believe it/had never thought about it) because 1)it is completely uncharacteristic when looking at their personalities/demeanors/songs/etc. (that's to say they're not flamboyant at all nor do they sport any of the normal attention-wanting gay affectations) plus 2)i didn't want to believe the hitchhikers because they were just dumbasses anyway.... So basically I shrugged the statement/possible fact off without too much thought since it didn't seem probable...until an article I read recently off one of the homepages said something like "Flans met me one day and he was wearing purple fingernail polish and he said "I'm gay" and I said okay let's do a video", or something to that effect (it was an interview with adam bernstein). So after the two accounts, I don't really believe it still because of #1 and further evidence that is when I saw Flans leaving another show (New Years '94) he was with a woman/possible romantic interest and another rumour that I heard that at their '90 show, after the show when flans was signing autographs, linnel didn't show (after) since he was purportedly upstairs getting a blowjob from a friends' acquaintances' friends' friend (but I still don't know if I believe this one either since I think Linnell just has a general aversion to people, especially fans)..... So, anyway, not that I would respect their music or them any more or less or that knowledge of the truth would help me decide whether to buy their next album or not...I'm just looking for the definitive answer as to their sexuality to clear up something which has been plaguing me... any input? gaucho@main.com (sorry if I was too blunt) ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 18:10:10 +1200 Subject: Re: a mystery... > >At their 92 concert in my town for apollo a couple of hitchhikers who >said they lived in Brooklyn (the hitchhikers) real close to TMBG told me >that the John's were both homosexual--and that's why the johns live in >the same apartment, etc.... who cares? no I mean, who really cares? No I mean, who RREALLY CARES AT ALL?! It doesn't take away from the fact their music is as great as it is. I don't know or care about the sexual preferences of either John. Pardon my ignorance but whose business is it anyway? Not mine I'm sure. __________________________________________________________ Old cat proverb: it is better to live one day as a tiger than a whole life as a worm. Old human proverb: Who ever heard of wormskin rug? (Red Dwarf) __________________________________________________________ Michael Carr -- email: ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #25 *****************************************