From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #27 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Wednesday, 11 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 027 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: William Pat Chuss Date: Tue, 10 Oct 95 13:30:05 PDT Subject: Rules_for_posting_to_Usenet Forwarded message: > > If anyone would like a copy of Rules_for_posting_to_Usenet (which pretty > much apply to mailing lists as well), it's at tfm.mit.edu in the > usenet-by-group/news.announce.newusers directory. My goodness. I blew it there didn't I? the ftp site is actually rtfm.mit.edu rtfm obviously standing for "really thick furry melons". Sorry! Pat ------------------------------ From: Phoenix777@aol.com Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:47:10 -0400 Subject: no way I think if I was gay I'd have a hard time writing words like "I saw my baby wearing Santa's beard / She kised him once and whispered i-i-in his e-ar" and then sing them with such conviction. They are honest guys and also I would have a hard time writing about my gay lover since I'm straight. But maybe I just don't know. It's something that would be interesting to know, at least. So, ladies, any of you have "proof" (possibly after a show) that They aren't gay? (don't take any of this too seriously) Adam "what the hell am I thinking" Luikart of Westminster actually from near Cleveland. any word on the Agora show? ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:53:08 -0200 Subject: Re: a mystery... My God, it's like thinking about your parents having sex!!!! Thank God mine never did __________________________________________________________ Old cat proverb: it is better to live one day as a tiger than a whole life as a worm. Old human proverb: Who ever heard of wormskin rug? (Red Dwarf) __________________________________________________________ Michael Carr -- email: ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 17:01:13 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants > > > Does anyone else out there think that They Might Be Giants is the best > album? I have considered it my fav for some time now, ever since i > bought it. Absolutely Bill's Mood is great, and so is She's an Angel, > Don't Let's Start, Rythym Section Want Ad, Chess Piece Face, and many > more. But my favorite of all is I Hope That I'll Get Old Before I Die. > The vocals are superb, and all the clanking sounds are nifty too. This is > one of the first of many TMBG songs about DEATH:) It rules. > Anyone Else? I'm not sure, Nate, I think I'd have to put this ablum 2nd in my book. I've always loved Apollo 18 (not sure if it's because it was my first or what) but that one has always been the best for me. I do agree that the best TMBG song is on there, though, speaking of Rhythm Section Want Ad of course. But a strong second place song, Turn Around, is in fact on my favorite album (and just barely my sec. fav. song). - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 17:16:18 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: The JH Girl > I'd expect more TMBG fans to love Clerks! This is, IMHO, the best movie ever Chewbacca, what a wookie!! - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 17:27:14 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: a mystery... > > Erik, > To calm you soul. A year ago christmas time, when I fell in love > with Flans (he's the most beautiful man on earth) my hopefull > emotions were squelched by people telling me that they both had > girlfriends. And I read in an article somewhere that Linnell was > spending Christmas with his girlfriend and her family in England or > something like that. I wonder who their gf's are? - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: "John E. Neely" Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:39:55 -0500 (CDT) Subject: JH Girl, Ana Ng > From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) > So here are the suggestions I have so far,(not counting blatant spam ones > like 'Jerry') Keep sending 'em in, and we can all vote for them starting on > friday! > Persephone I've sortof stayed out of this thread before, since I didn't have any good names and thought that naming her would sortof take away the mystery, but this name is *perfect*. Maybe my Greek mythology all wrong, but isn't she the daughter of the harvest goddess who kept getting dragged back and forth to/from the underworld beacuse Hades had a crush on her? If so, that sortof dark, depressed spirit describes the spookiness of the JH cover exactly. On Ana Ng, besides being, IMHO, one of the best songs by anyone ever, just how do you pronounce "Ng"?? When I saw it, I figured it was like "nig", but I've screwed up the pronounciation of more words than you would belive. And, in the song it sounds like he's singing "Ana Ann", but of course it's super-fueled freakishly fast. So what is it. Also, to end all the electro-wind, the Ana Ng video is *INCREDIBLE*. I got the video compilation, and most are ok, They'll Need A Crane is really cool (I love how the old guys in the band keep trying to mimic J&J's little jumps and that look Flans gives the camera near the end), but Ana Ng is *great*. I want one of those black hooded things! BTW, some will probably think I'm nuts, but did some of Linnel's mannerisms (like during Puppet Head) kinda sorta remind anyone else of Dana Carvey? I don't know why..... okillbequitenowgoodbyethankyouforlistening. %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 22:57:13 +0100 Subject: Re: a mystery... hey everyone!!! i jus got back from work an not ad a chance to check my mail, so if this post is reiterating a point already made I'm sorry, but I jsut had to resopnd..... On Tue, 10 Oct 1995 18:10:10, Michael Carr said: >who cares? > >no I mean, who really cares? > >No I mean, who RREALLY CARES AT ALL?! > >It doesn't take away from the fact their music is as great as it is. I >don't know or care about the sexual preferences of either John. > >Pardon my ignorance but whose business is it anyway? Not mine I'm sure. Too right. If Flans and/or Linnell *are* ???, then if They'd wanted to share what is essentially a very private part of Their lives with us (the fans), then I'm sure They would have told us. And earlier, Erik Swedberg wrote: >So, anyway, not that I would respect their music or them any more or less >or that knowledge of the truth would help me decide whether to buy their >next album or not...I'm just looking for the definitive answer as to >their sexuality to clear up something which has been plaguing me... If it's not gonna make any difference to you, why do you _need_ to know? - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 18:00:46 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Gay As people have mentioned already, there is evidence showing J & J to not be gay (at least not totally). Also, this was discussed to death last year on the old list. And though many people have said it already, I must also condemn the particular homophobic attitude of one or two of the posts (heck, it's National Coming Out Week, I wouldn't be doing my duty if I didn't speak up!). -Sean Kinlin (who is rarely, if ever, flambuoyantly seeking attention) ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 19:02:59 -0600 Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng >On Ana Ng, besides being, IMHO, one of the best songs by anyone ever, >just how do you pronounce "Ng"?? When I saw it, I figured it was like >"nig", but I've screwed up the pronounciation of more words than you >would belive. And, in the song it sounds like he's singing "Ana Ann", >but of course it's super-fueled freakishly fast. So what is it. I am almost positive that it is supposed to be pronounced "Eng." I *know* that that is what the Johns are singing, but I'm not well enough versed in Oriental languages to know for sure if they are pronouncing it correctly. ********************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer \ JC(A+R) / Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu \_______/ Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Silverfish Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 17:26:03 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Catching up and stuff... First of all, a couple of people replied back to me earlier saying that they had some live stuff to trade. While this would be much appreciated, I realized that I really don't have anything to trade at this point (except cash and large volumes of blank tapes but we won't get into the cash thing on the mailing list now will we?) I own nearly all of the singles, and somewhere my brother has a copy of the Power of Dial-A-Song tape (although that's a couple of hours away from my clutches) but really I have nothing special yet. I'm from Oregon, originally from Portland and currently residing in the wild campus area of Eugene. My apartment doesn't quite look upside down from there. "We Want A Rock" is the best song. "The Day" is the worst. There is no "best" album, although everyone should own _Flood_, fan or not. I always thought that the "Ana Ng" thing was built on the old myth/stereotype that China was the other side of the world. Anyone seen the Bugs Bunny cartoons where they dig so far that they reach China and everything is upside-down? Of course, the whole Vietnam thing may simply suggest that throughout the war people here (specifically New Yawk) held the belief that their "world" was backwards from ours. Personally, I love the song, but I always think of a girl I went to high school with named Anna Eng who was my best friend's girlfriend's best friend. Only they broke up recently. Got it? The 'John Henry Girl' has always been known as Freak Girl to me (of course that's now the name for my girlfriend- er, ex-girlfriend. Right.) Of course, we could call her Freaksicle or SuperFreak or... I am desperately suffering from a lack of new TMBG stuff to listen to. I have most of the albums and the singles, and besides the cool 3" "Don't Let's Start" single I bought (and kept in shrink-wrap) I haven't bought anything new in too long. And don't get me started on how my brother screwed me out of seeing Them live last May... I'm moving to the sun... Kerry +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / "The only thing to fear is fearlessness.." + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+//-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- R.E.M. +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "Feels like a heartbreak, but it's nothing near that great" - J. Hatfield + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ------------------------------ From: From my brain to your screen Date: Tue, 10 Oct 95 17:41:08 PDT Subject: Re: Irrelevan Posts Forwarded message: > > From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) > Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 20:56:09 -0600 > Subject: Re: Relevant Posts > > I don't know who said this, but I believe the list went down not because of > irrelevant posts, but because too many messages were bouncing and weren't > being cleaned off the server. > > Just my $.02 > > ********************************************************************** > Jonathan Chaffer \ JC(A+R) / Rabidchild on RealmsMud While this is probably true, most of you may not be aware that the infamous Bill Krauss (you got it the producer of all the early stuff and inspiration for Absolutely Bill's Mood) was once a member of our fine list. Unfortunately, he too became very frustrated with the irrelevant chatter that cropped up and decided to bail. Pity too, he was a pretty cool guy with tons of inside information. Obligatory TMBG content: Does anyone know who's singing that Star-Trek-theme-like ending part to "Where Your Eyes Don't Go"? I think it's Flans, but then again... Pat ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 20:18:32 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: a mystery... > I wonder who their gf's are? I'm not going to tell you directly, because it's absolutely none of your affair (no pun intended). Flansburgh's girlfriend has appeared on his records. Linnell's girlfriend is in a band. ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 20:23:09 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: ant I just thought Ant was about nighttime paranoia. ------------------------------ From: Jason Weiner Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 18:48:53 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: a mystery... > -- My two cents -- they are Staright!!! > Freudian slip? Staright=Star right! Jason "Hail Eris!" "All Hail Discordia!" ------------------------------ From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Date: Tue, 10 Oct 95 22:36:50 EDT Subject: women and me-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh-hen hey there, all! speaking of great movies, has anyone here (i know at least one of you has :D ) seen Metropolitan? its a supremely great movie. also, speaking ofhythym section want ad, my bf (who is, unfortunately not a tmbg *fan*, but does respect my admiration of them and even had one of their tapes in his car, til it got stolen [the tape, not the car]) was looking at the *pink* album and said, wow, rhythym section want ad, that is a great title. so, even those who dont necessarily really like Them can appreciate their wonderful way withwords. :) just a barely related note to support the freedom of speech we have here on this wonderful list-o-rama. :) peace, ann ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Joshua Fried Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 23:32:43 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Meta-messages? Funny, how whenever Myke posts to the effect that certain information is none of one's business, the strong implication is that the information in question is in fact his own business. Odd. > I'm not going to tell you directly, because it's absolutely none > of your affair (no pun intended). Flansburgh's girlfriend has appeared > on his records. Linnell's girlfriend is in a band. > ------------------------------ From: Erik Swedberg Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 22:53:17 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: a mystery... > Erik, > To calm you soul. A year ago christmas time, when I fell in love > with Flans (he's the most beautiful man on earth) my hopefull > emotions were squelched by people telling me that they both had > girlfriends. And I read in an article somewhere that Linnell was > spending Christmas with his girlfriend and her family in England or > something like that. > yeah i'd heard that too. thank god I can finally calm my soul. Golgo13 ------------------------------ From: Erik Swedberg Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 22:57:32 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: a mystery... > Okay, here's the deal. John and John are NOT gay. As we all know, Flans and > Linnell have been friends since high school and that's where they started > makin' music. Second, Yes Linell does have a thing with the public -- he > hates it. He doesn't like being in spotlight. One big reason is when I was > talking to a rhoadie after one concert (at McCabe's guitar shop in Santa > Monica Ca. the most unbelieveable concert I've seen of them but I'll go into > that later) He said that Linell has had someone stalking, yes stalking him > and he has been very careful in staying away from the public and fans. > This doesn't prove the point, but it does answer your question about Linell > -- My two cents -- they are Staright!!! AOW! man that's scary. I don't know if I want to become a rockstar as much as I used to....yeah one time one of my friends actually had to chase Linnell across the street (at an appreciable gait) to get him to sign an autograph (he scribbled something unintelligible quickly then shuffled off in a huff, refusing to sign the rest of our groups'...) gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ From: DrSzusz@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 02:04:58 -0400 Subject: Which is which? Hi all; This will probibly strick most of you as a really stupid question, (I had a teacher once who said "there are no stupid ouestions, only stupid answers) but, which John is which? (refering of course to thier last names) I guess its best answered by which is the lead singer, and which "daddy sings bass" Thanks. I AM the only dust my mother raised! ------------------------------ From: DrSzusz@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 02:09:59 -0400 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants "Don't lets start" is the first TMBG song I ever heard (it was on the radio) musta been 5 or 6 years ago, but I still listen to Lincoln the most. ------------------------------ From: "????(mystery name)????" Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 01:19:51 -0500 Subject: Re: Which is which? At 02:04 AM 10/11/95 -0400, you wrote: >Hi all; >This will probibly strick most of you as a really stupid question, >(I had a teacher once who said "there are no stupid ouestions, only stupid >answers) but, which John is which? (refering of course to thier >last names) >I guess its best answered by which is the lead singer, and which >"daddy sings bass" Thanks. ok, this is a little more complex than just who is the lead singer. they switch off fairly regularly. Linnell has a lower voice, and sings songs such as Ana Ng, and Snail Shell. He plays accordion, keyboards, sax, and whatever else needs to be played at the time. Flansburgh has a higher voice, and sings Puppet head, and many others (like wdtss?). He plays the guitar, except on Lie Still little Bottle, where when I saw them live, he played 2 trumpets at once. as for the Daddy Sings Bass quote, that honor goes to Johnny Cash. there's a who sings list available somewhere on the net, I'm sure someone on the list can tell you where. PAuL ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #27 *****************************************