From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #28 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Wednesday, 11 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 028 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: brown-eyed pickle boy Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 01:32:29 -0500 Subject: Re: a mystery... At 01:16 PM 10/10/95 EST, The Princess Bridesmaid wrote: >girlfriends. And I read in an article somewhere that Linnell was >spending Christmas with his girlfriend and her family in England or >something like that. wasn't that the part of THEIR (apollo 18?) tour that was known as "They Might Be Black" or something like that (you know, when Frank Black played with Flans)? just my $0.02 searching for truth and freedom ------------------------------ From: brown-eyed pickle boy Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 01:34:34 -0500 Subject: Re: Which is which? At 01:19 AM 10/11/95 -0500, ????(mystery name)???? wrote: >there's a who sings list available somewhere on the net, I'm sure someone on >the list can tell you where. I believe it's on the FTP site, under "misc" or "stuff" or something like that. If it's not there, it's accessible through the web page. searching for truth and freedom Paul Leonard pleonard@mail.utexas.edu pleonard@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu UT can get its own opinions -- these are mine. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Check out my HomePage! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~pleonard ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 09:31:04 EDT Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng > I am almost positive that it is supposed to be pronounced "Eng." I *know* > that that is what the Johns are singing, but I'm not well enough versed in > Oriental languages to know for sure if they are pronouncing it correctly. Yeah to me it sounds like "Eng" too. But what do I know. I don't even know what they say in that one section in Rythem Section Want add (where it gets really fast after he says "Across from the sign that says 'Pro's Only'") ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 09:39:06 EDT Subject: Re: a mystery... > > -- My two cents -- they are Staright!!! > > > Freudian slip? > > Staright=Star right! > I wonder why I keep on deleting this thread... Anyway who cares? > Jason "Hail Eris!" > "All Hail Discordia!" > Btw - Its been a long time since I've seen a SCUM reference. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 09:48:57 EDT Subject: Re: Which is which? > Hi all; > This will probibly strick most of you as a really stupid question, > (I had a teacher once who said "there are no stupid ouestions, only stupid > answers) but, which John is which? (refering of course to thier > last names) > I guess its best answered by which is the lead singer, and which > "daddy sings bass" Thanks. > I AM the only dust my mother raised! > > Well *I* have found that there is no *lead* singer for say. They just sing what ever they want to sing. Somone has a list of who sings what (I have it written down at home) but Flans does the "Daddy Sing Bass" (or at least im pretty sure). Compare the voices in Puppet Head (what are the first couple of words to that song anyway?) to that (its another Flans song). Toddler Highway, Rabbid Child, and The Day are some more Flans song on TMBG. And some linnell songs on that one are Don't Let's Start, She's An Angel, and a some more which I don't feel like listing. ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:21:59 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Meta-messages? > Funny, how whenever Myke posts to the effect that certain information is > none of one's business, the strong implication is that the information in > question is in fact his own business. Odd. Look, Joshua, I'm not saying it IS my business. I actually found out inadvertently, because a friend of mine who works for a NY press/publicity agency wound up having dinner with Linnell's girlfriend-- about which she was apparently being somewhat public. He passed the news on to me when I mentioned that I was working on the magazine. I didn't go deliberately looking to find the dirt on Linnell and Flansburgh, because frankly, I could give a damn. ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:23:20 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng > > > From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) > > So here are the suggestions I have so far,(not counting blatant spam ones > > like 'Jerry') Keep sending 'em in, and we can all vote for them starting on > > friday! > > Persephone > I've sortof stayed out of this thread before, since I didn't have any > good names and thought that naming her would sortof take away the > mystery, but this name is *perfect*. Maybe my Greek mythology all wrong, > but isn't she the daughter of the harvest goddess who kept getting > dragged back and forth to/from the underworld beacuse Hades had a crush > on her? If so, that sortof dark, depressed spirit describes the > spookiness of the JH cover exactly. True but there wasn't much evilness in Persephone if I rfemember correctly, she was kinda taken by Hades without much consent from her, I guess it is kinda spooky, though. > > On Ana Ng, besides being, IMHO, one of the best songs by anyone ever, > just how do you pronounce "Ng"?? When I saw it, I figured it was like > "nig", but I've screwed up the pronounciation of more words than you > would belive. And, in the song it sounds like he's singing "Ana Ann", > but of course it's super-fueled freakishly fast. So what is it. I always thought Ng was pronounced ING, at least that is how I always have heard it. "I took three days to drive down one street The radio on, tuned to the big fleet Invisible planes are cracking the concrete..." - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:33:32 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: a mystery... > > > I wonder who their gf's are? > > I'm not going to tell you directly, because it's absolutely none > of your affair (no pun intended). Flansburgh's girlfriend has appeared None of my affair? I'm not sure what you mean by that (I'm not gonna go out and kill them or anything ;) > on his records. Linnell's girlfriend is in a band. > Hmm, I wonder which band? It'd be cool to check out some of her music, see what it's like. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:40:24 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Which is which? > > Hi all; > This will probibly strick most of you as a really stupid question, > (I had a teacher once who said "there are no stupid ouestions, only stupid > answers) but, which John is which? (refering of course to thier > last names) > I guess its best answered by which is the lead singer, and which > "daddy sings bass" Thanks. > I AM the only dust my mother raised! > > Ya cann't really place either one as lead singer as they both sing lead on different songs. "Daddy sings bass" is sung by Johnny Cash. Linnell has the, some say, more annoying voice, although I think neither have annoying voices (although I could see why people might think they both have annoying voices ;) As an example Linnell sings Ana Ng whereas Flans sings They'll Need a Crane Hope this is helpful - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:42:53 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: a mystery... > > At 01:16 PM 10/10/95 EST, The Princess Bridesmaid wrote: > >girlfriends. And I read in an article somewhere that Linnell was > >spending Christmas with his girlfriend and her family in England or > >something like that. > > wasn't that the part of THEIR (apollo 18?) tour that was known as "They > Might Be Black" or something like that (you know, when Frank Black played > with Flans)? I thought They Might Be Black was during John Henry in Memphis at the beginning of this year (or end of last year)? I was wondering how cool it would be to somehow combine The Vanishing Spies by Frank Black and Spy by TMBG (I'll have to look into this more) - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: brown-eyed pickle boy Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:33:41 -0500 Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng At 09:31 AM 10/11/95 EDT, Adam P. Fistler wrote: I don't even know what >they say in that one section in Rythem Section Want add (where it gets really fast after he says "Across from the sign that says 'Pro's Only'") > well, it's in the liner notes, isn't it? If not, here you go -- "so if you like a band with a chick singer, say your cup of tea is a wall of trombones, if you dig Menudo or MDC we salute you the way we know. For every one with dollar signs in their eyes ....." searching for truth and freedom Laundry goes in. Clothes come out. Life goes on. Clothes get dirty again. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 10:49:49 EDT Subject: Re: Which is which? > As an example Linnell sings Ana Ng whereas Flans sings They'll Need a Crane > Hope this is helpful They'll need a Craine is sung by Linnell ------------------------------ From: Sara Lloyd Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:55:47 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Which is which? On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Matthew James wrote: > As an example Linnell sings Ana Ng whereas Flans sings They'll Need a Crane Actually, Linnell also sings "They'll Need A Crane." sara ------------------------------ From: "Christina (she'll be waiting in Istanbul)" Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 10:55:47 EDT Subject: The Sun... singer Just to make a minor correction to Paul, Flans has sung the wdtss song in the concerts I've heard it performed at, but Linnel does all the spoken parts. Yeah, that's all. Bye all. "Would it be okay with you/ if we wrote a reminder/ of things we'll forget to do today otherwise,/ using a green magic marker, if it's alright,/ on the back of your head?" ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 11:03:25 EDT Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng > well, it's in the liner notes, isn't it? If not, here you go -- > "so if you like a band with a chick singer, say your cup of tea is a wall of > trombones, if you dig Menudo or MDC we salute you the way we know. For > every one with dollar signs in their eyes ....." I guess they just left the lyrics out of mine. I got the newer tape version of TMBG (the one with Toddler Highway on the front). Does the CD version you can buy now have the lyrics? ------------------------------ From: pvachusk@uwcmail.uwc.edu Date: Wed Oct 11 10:33:43 CDT 1995 Subject: Re: Meta-messages? >> Funny, how whenever Myke posts to the effect that certain information is >> none of one's business, the strong implication is that the information in >> question is in fact his own business. Odd. > > Look, Joshua, I'm not saying it IS my business. I actually found > out inadvertently, because a friend of mine who works for a NY > press/publicity agency wound up having dinner with Linnell's > girlfriend-- about which she was apparently being somewhat public. > He passed the news on to me when I mentioned that I was working > on the magazine. I didn't go deliberately looking to find the dirt > on Linnell and Flansburgh, because frankly, I could give a damn. I really don't see how knowing who someone's girl friend is can be construed as dirt. There's nothing illegal about having a girlfriend. Most guys I know are proud of their girlfriends. Of course, if a couple decide to keep their affair private, that's cool. But what is wrong with asking the question? - -Peter ------------------------------ From: They call me Tim Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 8:51:57 PDT Subject: Results of My Experiment Using the finest in state of the art audio equipment in my lavishly equipped Pontiac 6000* I have come to the conclusion that the findings in the search for the lyrics to the bridge section in "Letterbox" are inconclusive. Recent findings indicate that the widely accepted lyrics (as seen here from the TMBG faq), may not in fact be correct. > 10) What are the lyrics to the bridge section in "Letterbox"? > > Jimmymeister writes: > > I posted a question about the Letterbox bridge several months ago. Here's > the compiled response I got: > > Too late or soon to make lots of bad love and there's no time for sorrow. > Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomo-rrooooow. > After extensive testing and re-testing (the letters s-t-o-p permanently scarred into my middle finger and a little "<" embedded into my index one), I have decided that the words being spoken in the bridge are in fact: Too late or soon to make NOTES A-BOUT love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain till tomo-rrooooow. Now I know what you're thinking: "He's insane!" "That's ludicrous!" "Says what are those scars around his temples?" But take 10 minutes tonight preferably in a small, sparsely lit, ill equipped fast-food restaraunt restroom stall, and listen. It even makes sense now: make notes --> write letters --> letterbox | v write music | v go insane The facts are there, if you'd just take off that stupid had and look at them! Damn... where're my valiums? Pat *General Motors' Pontiac division does not necessarily agree with the ideas expressed here, nor do they condone the use of their Delco/GM soundsystem for such dangerous experiments. ------------------------------ From: jam139@lulu.acns.nwu.edu (Jennifer McInerney) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 12:25:33 -0600 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #16 >Yes, in "O Do Not Forsake Me," the singers are not warped versions of >Flans and Linny, but the group Hudson Shad. > >A Hudson shad is a type of fish (or so the name suggests), but I don't >know if it's a real-life fish. > >Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has an album of theirs, or has seen them in >concert or whatnot. I'd never heard of them until JH. Well Ben, I've never seen Hudson shad per se, but when TMBG played in Chicago last November they had the lead singer of Hudson Shad come out on stage, and sing "Oh Do Not Forsake Me." He's a very skinny man with straight shoulder-length hair (the hair only accentuates the fact that he's skinny) , and he doesn't look like his voice sounds (know what I mean?). Jennifer _________________________________________________ "In the U.S Government there is a lot more incompetence and a lot less conspiracy than is generally believed." - -- NASA spokesperson ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 14:38:27 -0400 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants In a message dated 95-10-09 23:28:36 EDT, you write: >This is >>one of the first of many TMBG songs about DEATH:) It rules. >>Anyone Else? >> >>Nathan >WAITWAITWAIT!!!!! >You didn't mention... >-Rabid Child >(Don't make me Shun you!") Damnit, Rabid Child didn't die.....thus from Hey Mister DeeJay, I thought you said we had a deal: "And the Rabid Child is still tuning in...." BlueDeeJay ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 14:38:24 -0400 Subject: Re: sighting of Mr. Blobby! In a message dated 95-10-09 21:15:19 EDT, you write: >>>I was looking at the Pink (not Big Blue) album today and noticed Mr. >>>Blobby on the sleeve! He's walking between the vacuum cleaner and >>>the radio. I couldn't believe it! >> >>ahem...that's not mister Blobby. That's a champaign bottle, I think. > >Whatever - they're *both* gonna give you a headache - 1 now - the other in >the morning. > > yeah, but the blobby headache is more like a stroke than a hangover. I'll take the hangover. BlueDrunk ------------------------------ From: Liam Singer Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 12:30:56 -0700 (PDT) Subject: THE name well, I meant the name to be pronounced (GEN-e-vieve), but if somebody has a problem with the whole name then just forget it. Liam - -How can I believe in god when just last week my tounge got stuck in the electric typerwriter? ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 16:52:35 -0400 Subject: Re: Rules_for_posting_to_Usenet In a message dated 95-10-10 16:42:15 EDT, you write: >rtfm I thought it was READ THE F*CKING MANUAL. According to the LINUX FAQ. UnixDog ------------------------------ From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 16:52:40 -0400 Subject: Re: Meta-messages? In a message dated 95-10-10 23:59:45 EDT, you write: >Funny, how whenever Myke posts to the effect that certain information is >none of one's business, the strong implication is that the information in >question is in fact his own business. Odd. Agreed. Especially since his .sig says "Voted Most Hated by John Flansburgh." No wonder they don't read the group; the FAQ is maintained by their nemisis. BlueDog ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 18:15:54 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Which is which? > > On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Matthew James wrote: > > > As an example Linnell sings Ana Ng whereas Flans sings They'll Need a Crane > > Actually, Linnell also sings "They'll Need A Crane." > > sara > Oops my mistake, well Flans sings, um, the really high part in She Was a Hotel Detective (Back to Skull version)? I think - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:23:55 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Rules_for_posting_to_Usenet In the immortal words of Idiotnot@aol.com: > >In a message dated 95-10-10 16:42:15 EDT, you write: > >>rtfm > >I thought it was READ THE F*CKING MANUAL. According to the LINUX FAQ. Everyone knows it really stands for: RE-ARM TOTALITARIAN/FASCIST MILITANTS! :) ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #28 *****************************************