From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #29 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Wednesday, 11 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 029 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 18:24:15 EST Subject: Re: a mystery... > wasn't that the part of THEIR (apollo 18?) tour that was known as "They > Might Be Black" or something like that (you know, when Frank Black played > with Flans)? Yeah, I think it was. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:47:49 -0500 (EST) Subject: Covers What songs do They cover? Have there been any covers of tmbg by other bands? Me and a friend thought about songs that They could cover well. I think the first verse of Out Of Jail sounds alot like REM's Gardening at Night, except more audible. Comments? ------------------------------ From: Dead Cat Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:49:07 -0500 (CDT) Subject: [none] Hello fellow TMBG-addicts! This is my first post here, so go easy on me. I'm not quite sure how these goofy mailing list things work, so please don't flame me if I accidently send this to the wrong place or quote an entire digest like some goof did a while back. Anyways, as I was saying, I've just been lurking around here for a while... basically because I haven't really had anything useful to say. But since that doesn't appear to be stopping anybody else, I decided to go ahead and post.... let's face it folks, I don't know about you, but I care as much about the Johns' *sexual* preferences as I do everybody's *first album color* preferences! Sheesh!! Ok, now that I've gotten *that* out of my system, let's see if I can think of something better to talk about... umm... is it just me, or does anybody else hear Big Bird singing harmonizing vocals on Mono Puff's "So Long, Mockingbird?".... It's just me isn't it? - - Dead Cat ------------------------------ From: "????(mystery name)????" Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:40:10 -0500 Subject: Re: a mystery... At 06:24 PM 10/11/95 EST, you wrote: > >> wasn't that the part of THEIR (apollo 18?) tour that was known as "They >> Might Be Black" or something like that (you know, when Frank Black played >> with Flans)? actually, it was the last show before Christmas last year, on the JH tour. It tells all about it in the most recent fanclub newsletter. ------------------------------ From: Jesse_Lecavalier@brown.edu (Jesse LeCavalier) Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 18:55:47 -0400 Subject: [none] unsubscribe ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 18:39:58 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Meta-messages? Ok, Ok, so I suck. Fine. Nufsed. ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 00:43:41 +0100 Subject: Favourite Pere Ubu tracks With the recent posting of the Pere Ubu tour dates, got to wondering about which is my personal favourite Pere Ubu track. It has to be Waitng For Mary. Anyone else? Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 00:43:42 +0100 Subject: Re: sighting of Mr. Blobby! On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, the ever so slightly tipsy BlueDrunk said: >yeah, but the blobby headache is more like a stroke than a hangover. I'll >take the hangover. Man - Mr. Blobby is so fat he just has to sit on a bar stool and he gets a hangover. Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:44:14 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Which is which? In the immortal words of Matthew James: >Oops my mistake, well Flans sings, um, the really high part in >She Was a Hotel Detective (Back to Skull version)? I think At the risk of offending old timers on the list, I'm including the analysis I performed on the who-singyness of this song again. - ----------------------------------------------------------------- From: Chris Bongaarts To: coon@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Matthew Coon) Cc: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: Re: Back to Skull Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 23:36:24 -0600 (CST) In the immortal words of Matthew Coon: >>It's John Flansburgh. Listen Closely. > >I've held my tongue long enough on this subject, now I must dissent! >John Linnell sings this falsetto part. The timbre of the voice sounds >exactly like him and nothing like Flans, either in natural voice or falsetto, >which we have had some small samples of. It is most definitely Linnell. >I'll bet you a dollar. I have cronies at Purdue who will collect my dollar. You have been warned. Send me the samples, and I might believe you. WAIT ONE MINUTE! I *HAVE* SEEN HER! After further review, I posit thusly: (L and F denote Linnel, and Flansburgh, respectively) L: Night time lady, she says "Maybe," in the all-night laundromat. "Wait one minute! I have seen her - she's a billionaire." She was a Hotel Detective, but now she's gotten promoted. I don't think it was the money; she didn't care about expensive things, no pearls or furs or fancy cars or diamond rings. She was a Hotel Detective, but now she's better connected. She didn't have to change anything, just the stencil on her window. She used to be quite a lady; she drove the underworld crazy, But now she goes insane in her way when it suits her occupation. She read that motel directive - it told her she was defective(?) I guess she found an easier way up the ladder and she took it. Now that lady is running the world. F: Is she lonely? She's the only girl in this back-alleyway. Both: Will she shoot you? She won't have to - you're already dead. F: She was a Hotel Detective, but now she's gotten promoted. I don't think it was the money; she didn't care about expensive things, no pearls or furs or fancy cars or diamond rings. L: She was a Hotel Detective, but now she's better connected. She didn't have to change anything, just the stencil on her window. She used to be quite a lady; she drove the underworld crazy, But now she goes insane in her way when it suits her occupation. She read that motel directive - it told her she was defective(?) I guess she found an easier way up the ladder and she took it. Now that lady is running the world. Note that I have Linnell singing the first falsetto part, and Flansburgh singing the second. Listen closely; they actually sound fairly different (Linnell's distinct vibrato texture shines thru in the first, while the second has other tradionally Flansburghini(?)an elements.) Note also that Flans sings the beginning of the second verse before being supplanted by Linnell on lead. I'd like to hear more opinions on this matter. So I guess we're BOTH right, m@t (and even, ah well.) ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: "????(mystery name)????" Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 18:27:09 -0500 Subject: Re: Covers At 05:47 PM 10/11/95 -0500, you wrote: >What songs do They cover? Have there been any covers of tmbg by other bands? >Me and a friend thought about songs that They could cover well. I think >the first verse of Out Of Jail sounds alot like REM's Gardening at Night, >except more audible. Comments? Istanbul and Why Does The Sun Shine are both covers... There is a band from dallas called Hagfish that who play Twisting live at shows. I always try to get them to let me come up on stage and sing it since the singer messes up all the time, but they never do. ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:22:51 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng In the immortal words of brown-eyed pickle boy: >well, it's in the liner notes, isn't it? If not, here you go -- >"so if you like a band with a chick singer, say your cup of tea is a wall of >trombones, if you dig Menudo or MDC we salute you the way we know. For >every one with dollar signs in their eyes ....." If memory serves, the liner notes say "bank" instead of "band". Of course, band makes more sense. But we've had this discussion before... :) ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:32:53 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Which is which? In the immortal words of PAuL: >there's a who sings list available somewhere on the net, I'm sure someone on >the list can tell you where. http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab/whosings.txt (I'm the maintainer of it, so I'm the only one who really knows where it is ;) ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: Burt Codispoti Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 17:13:53 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Covers On Wed, 11 Oct 1995 THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU wrote: > What songs do They cover? Have there been any covers of tmbg by other bands? > Me and a friend thought about songs that They could cover well. I think > the first verse of Out Of Jail sounds alot like REM's Gardening at Night, > except more audible. Comments? Easily one THEIR best tunes, they covered Phil Ochs' _One More Parade_ on the Elektra compilation RUBYEAT. They are also covering an XTC tune on the tribute album that's due out shortly. Burt ...get out of the car, put down the phone, take off that stupid hat... ------------------------------ From: Benjamin Hauck Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 21:11:57 -0400 (EDT) Subject: News: TMBG Changes Its Name! Gotcha. TMBG's new name is: They Will Be Giants (which of course changes the acronym to TWBG) At least they're not known as The Artists Formerly Known As They Might Be Giants You're all Really Big Shoes, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: My brain to your screen Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 18:14:24 PDT Subject: Re: Which is which? Forwarded message: > > From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) > Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:40:24 -0400 (EDT) > Subject: Re: Which is which? > > Ya cann't really place either one as lead singer as they both sing lead > on different songs. "Daddy sings bass" is sung by Johnny Cash. > Linnell has the, some say, more annoying voice, although I think neither > have annoying voices (although I could see why people might think they > both have annoying voices ;) > As an example Linnell sings Ana Ng whereas Flans sings They'll Need a Crane > Hope this is helpful > It might be if it were true. Linnell most definitely sings "Crane". At least in the video. Pat "And Sharkey says: 'Hey, kemosabe! Long time no see.' He says: 'Hey sport. You connect the dots. You pick up the pieces.' He says: 'You know, I can see two tiny pictures of myself And there's one in each of your eyes. And they're doin' everything I do. Every time I light a cigarette, they light up theirs. I take a drink and I look in and they're drinkin' too. It's driving me crazy. It's drivin' me nuts.'" -- Laurie Anderson ------------------------------ From: My brain to your screen Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 18:27:47 PDT Subject: Re: Rules_for_posting_to_Usenet > > From: Chris Bongaarts > > In the immortal words of Idiotnot@aol.com: > > > >In a message dated 95-10-10 16:42:15 EDT, you write: > > > >>rtfm > > > >I thought it was READ THE F*CKING MANUAL. According to the LINUX FAQ. > > Everyone knows it really stands for: > > RE-ARM TOTALITARIAN/FASCIST MILITANTS! > > :) > Or in the case of our fine list: Random Thoughts From Muttonheads! Pat ;-) ------------------------------ From: My brain to your screen Date: Wed, 11 Oct 95 18:18:55 PDT Subject: Re: a mystery Forwarded message: > > From: brown-eyed pickle boy > Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 01:32:29 -0500 > Subject: Re: a mystery... > > wasn't that the part of THEIR (apollo 18?) tour that was known as "They > Might Be Black" or something like that (you know, when Frank Black played > with Flans)? > > just my $0.02 > > searching for truth and freedom > I'm not sure but wasn't the Apollo 18 full band tour called the "Don't Tread on the Cut Up Snake Tour"? Seriously, it went around the list last year but I'm not sure. Anybody? Anybody? Well, I ain't feeling happy/About the state of things in my life But I'm working to make it better/With a six of Miller High Life - TMBG ------------------------------ From: THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 20:34:19 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Covers Yeah, I forgot about Istanbul being a cover! I knew that! Why Does the Sun Shine and a couple other covers (one of Meat Puppets) are on the WDTSS "single".I was asking more about "live" covers, thanx! ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 20:40:21 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Covers In the immortal words of THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU: >Yeah, I forgot about Istanbul being a cover! I knew that! Why Does the Sun >Shine and a couple other covers (one of Meat Puppets) are on the WDTSS "single".I was asking more about "live" covers, thanx! In April 1994 in Peoria, Illinois (the "aircraft hanger concert") Flans did a marvelous rendition of Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline"... ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: Sara Lloyd Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 21:16:08 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: a mystery On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, My brain to your screen wrote: > I'm not sure but wasn't the Apollo 18 full band tour called the > "Don't Tread on the Cut Up Snake Tour"? Seriously, it went around > the list last year but I'm not sure. > > Anybody? Anybody? Affirmative. sara ------------------------------ From: Erik Swedberg Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 21:17:49 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Which is which? > Ya cann't really place either one as lead singer as they both sing lead > on different songs. "Daddy sings bass" is sung by Johnny Cash. > Linnell has the, some say, more annoying voice, although I think neither > have annoying voices (although I could see why people might think they > both have annoying voices ;) > As an example Linnell sings Ana Ng whereas Flans sings They'll Need a Crane > Hope this is helpful > 1st, it's not daddy sings bass but daddy'll sing bass and FLANS DOES NOT SING They'll Need A Crane, listen to the song again (and watch the video if it'll help...) gaucho ------------------------------ From: JHulvey@aol.com Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 23:23:56 -0400 Subject: Persephone's out of jail >> but isn't she the daughter of the harvest goddess who kept getting > >dragged back and forth to/from the underworld beacuse Hades had a crush >> on her? If so, that sortof dark, depressed spirit describes the >> spookiness of the JH cover exactly. >True but there wasn't much evilness in Persephone if I rfemember >correctly, she was kinda taken by Hades without much consent >from her, I guess it is kinda spooky, though. Hi all..... lurking of late, but liked the P-name a lot....Persephone is the quintessential innocent. That is why old nasty Hades covets her so and kidnaps her. Demeter, Perseph's mom, is the Earth Mother. She is so bereaved by the loss of her daughter that she can't produce, and the earth begins to get pretty darn empty......Eventually, it appears that Persephone will not have to stay in the underworld if she doesn't eat anything there.....but she does - six pomegranate seeds. This results in her having to spend six months of the year with Hades, and six with Demeter - the first joint custody. Which explains the seasons - when P's with mom, the earth is in bloom; when she's with Hades, the world is barren. The JH girl looks like Persephone Snapped. Go girl! JH (julie hulvey) ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:38:23 +0700 Subject: Matt James Digest#2 12/10/95 Hey folks...I should be going home because I'm tired and hungry but first I'll sprinkle happy thoughts all over you...can I ask... On the song 'I should Be Allowed to Think' of John Henry I know the line "I saw the worst mind of my generation destroyed by madness starving hysterical," is taken from a poem but which one? and 2) I heard that Theymanaged to get into the top 20 of the British chart somewhere a while agao...what song?! see yer... Mike - -- set your chickens free set your chickens free set your chickens free they chanted wildly ___________________________________________________________________ Life is one crisis after another, each seperated by induvidual delusions ___________________________________________________________________ Michael Carr - email ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 22:47:17 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Favourite Pere Ubu tracks Boy, that's tough. I really like "Caligari's Mirror". ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #29 *****************************************