From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #31 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Thursday, 12 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 031 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Kevin Eirich Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 15:21:03 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Who Singeth what > > Since there has been some discussion lately about who sings what, I thought > I'd ask: > Has anybody else looked at the "Who Sings What" List and totally disagreed > with it? It has Flans listed singing Puppet Head and some others that are > totally screwed up. > Lemme know if you agree with this: > Linnel has a higher pitched nasal voice most of the time and sings Birdhouse > and Snail Shell and Ana Ng. > Flans has a lower, rougher voice that is employed in the singing of (She was > a)Hotel Detective version one and Pencil Rain and Whistling In the Dark. > Listen to those songs and compare the voices. To me, they're quite > distinctive. > > Adam "we are among you" Luikart > The voices are distinctive, so there you are right. However, Flans does indeed sing Puppet Head...at least every version I've ever heard Them do he sings it, but I could be wrong. Somebody with superior TMBG knowledge will have to decide it for us, but for now I'm sticking to my story that Flans sings Puppet Head. Kevin Kevin Eirich "As long as it doesn't cost me any ke001d@uhura.cc.rochester.edu money or any work, then think all davros@roundtable.cif.rochester.edu you want." -Frances A. Eirich Coming Soon: The Home Page! ------------------------------ From: Erik Swedberg Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:21:35 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: News: TMBG Changes Its Name! > Gotcha. > > TMBG's new name is: > They Will Be Giants > (which of course changes the acronym to TWBG) > > At least they're not known as > The Artists Formerly Known As They Might Be Giants bullshit you have to prove it! gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ From: GoldLeder@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 15:25:18 -0400 Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng First of all, their name with Frank Black was They Might Be Frank Linnell wasn't playing with them at that particular concert so Frank took Linnell's spot leading the jam at the end of Spy. Second of all, the girl on the JH album needs a more simple name. TMBG like things simple -- look at Pearl For those of you who don't know, The dot matrix picture of the little girl's face on the back of some TMBG shirts and on big posters at their concert has a name -- it's Pearl Keep it simple -- I think the JH girl should be named ------ Jane ----- Chris Miko ------------------------------ From: Liam Singer Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 12:24:51 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Accident In the song accident (on the Hello label) who owns that low sounding Jamacian type voice? is it one of the Johns? Liam ------------------------------ From: GoldLeder@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 15:41:29 -0400 Subject: Re: Covers Don't forget "Frankenstein" on Their list of covers!!! Chris "I'm really not that insane" Miko ------------------------------ From: paulswan Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:25:20 -0500 Subject: Re: Who Singeth what At 03:03 PM 10/12/95 -0400, you wrote: >Since there has been some discussion lately about who sings what, I thought >I'd ask: >Has anybody else looked at the "Who Sings What" List and totally disagreed >with it? It has Flans listed singing Puppet Head and some others that are >totally screwed up. flans does sing puppet head. listen to it, or watch the video. >Lemme know if you agree with this: >Linnell has a higher pitched nasal voice most of the time Actually I think flans does. and sings Birdhouse >and Snail Shell and Ana Ng. correct. >Flans has a lower, rougher voice that is employed in the singing of (She was >a)Hotel Detective version one and Pencil Rain and Whistling In the Dark. Hotel Detective is Flans, but I'm not sure about the other two, I'm not sure but I think whistling in the dark is Linnell. Pencil rain is definitely Linnell. >Listen to those songs and compare the voices. To me, they're quite >distinctive. Yup. paul ------------------------------ From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Date: 12 Oct 95 15:46:22 EDT Subject: Who Singeth what >Since there has been some discussion lately about who sings what, I thought >Ias anybody else looked at the "Who Sings What" List and totally disagreed >with it? It has Flans listed singing Puppet Head and some others that are >totally screwed up. >Lemme know if you agree with this: >Linnel has a higher pitched nasal voice most of the time and sings Birdhouse >and Snail Shell and Ana Ng. >Flans has a lower, rougher voice that is employed in the singing of (She was >a)Hotel Detective version one and Pencil Rain and Whistling In the Dark. >Listen to those songs and compare the voices. To me, they're quite >distinctive. thats what i thought before i saw them live. i figured flans was bigger so hed have a deeper voice, but linnell can go pretty darn low. it was really weird the first time i saw them. - -sara- ------------------------------ From: paulswan Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:44:09 -0500 Subject: Re: Accident At 12:24 PM 10/12/95 -0700, you wrote: >In the song accident (on the Hello label) who owns that low sounding >Jamacian type voice? is it one of the Johns? I'm guessing you're talking about South Carolina, in which case all of the vocals are done by Linnell. ------------------------------ From: Keith Hyman Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:57:12 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Handling it I'm with all of you. That is, if someone posts here something you believe to be irrelevant or worse, indecent, the best way to handle it it to totally disregard it. Trust me: it _will_ go away. The only thing that keeps such dreck alive is responding to it. Reading here lately, it has become very apparent to me that some individuals, acting almost like children, will write whatever they can >just< to get a rise out of the rest of us. They hide behind what they believe to be the anonymity of their terminals/computers, feeling safe and drooling at the prospect of teasing a few flames out of us. Well I say: Don't give in to this ruse. We've got better things to do than to react like a knee-jerk and satisfy the urchins who often are just lurkers anywho. But I'm with you all. We can handle it. All Hail TMBG. ================================================================================ Keith Hyman | Nobody tells; everyone understands it's everybody Nashville TN 37221 USA | For Nobody. Anyone for anybody? hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| I will be responsible For Nobody. | ...Gentle Giant/The Missing Piece ------------------------------ From: paulswan Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:42:59 -0500 Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng >Second of all, the girl on the JH album needs a more simple name. TMBG like >things simple -- look at Pearl For those of you who don't know, The dot >matrix picture of the little girl's face on the back of some TMBG shirts and >on big posters at their concert has a name -- it's Pearl >Keep it simple -- I think the JH girl should be named ------ Jane ----- Persephone is just the right legnth. Not too short, like say, Mia. It is also not quite as long as some other names, like, oh, the average run of the mill 14 digit name. You know the ones I'm talking about. it's gotta be Persephone, you can't mess with the voices in my head, they might get mad, or they might get giant, then my head would be full of voices, and I wouldn't know what to do. PERSEPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said her name and looked at the poster on the wall and she smiled at me. honest. paul ------------------------------ From: "Willie P. Chuss" Date: Thu, 12 Oct 95 13:59:44 PDT Subject: Re: Who Singeth what Forwarded message: > > From: Phoenix777@aol.com > Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 15:03:38 -0400 > Subject: Who Singeth what > > Since there has been some discussion lately about who sings what, I thought > I'd ask: > Has anybody else looked at the "Who Sings What" List and totally disagreed > with it? It has Flans listed singing Puppet Head and some others that are > totally screwed up. I'm sorry but you are wrong here. The video of Puppet Head clearly shows Mr. Flansburg singing. Mr. Linnell does do the upside down "memo to myself" deal though. > Lemme know if you agree with this: OK, I don't. > Linnel has a higher pitched nasal voice most of the time and sings Birdhouse > and Snail Shell and Ana Ng. Chew goddit meng! > Flans has a lower, rougher voice that is employed in the singing of (She was > a)Hotel Detective version one and Pencil Rain and Whistling In the Dark. > Listen to those songs and compare the voices. To me, they're quite > distinctive. Flans sometimes seems to be able to "do more with his voice". He also sings Extra Saviour Faire, which isn't too bassy in my opinion. > > Adam "we are among you" Luikart I agree they have very distinctive voices/styles. Also, seeing them a bunch of times in concert helps reinforce the who-sings-what deal. Pat "Words fall out from my pockets And cats dance under my feet This colorful spell under which i live Protects me from all i write" - TMBG ------------------------------ From: Jay Crockett -- General Purpose Confused Person Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:10:55 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Who sings what Actually the who sings what list is pretty correct. As far as who sings the falsetto on "She was a hotel detective" (prob. my favorite TMBG song btw) I don't think I'll ever decide. The problem figuring out who sings what is that they sing in many different styles. There is a very distinctive 'flans voice' as well as a 'linnel voice'. However they also BOTH can sing very high and very low, so you can't say as a rule which will be the higher voice. They also have some 'wierd' voices too, like flans in 'Body' or linnel in 'Pencil Rain'. Sometimes their BOTH singing and it blends into one (kinda like the beatles). I'd like to see someone come up with a who WROTE what list. This would have to be pure speculation since all songs are credited TMBG, but it might generate some interesting discussion. I've always assumed whoever sings lead wrote the song, but this isn't always clear, and I bet they right for each other sometimes anyway. later, ******************************************** Jay Crockett Computer Science Major, Tennessee Tech jmc4479@tntech.edu ******************************************** ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:19:15 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Favourite Pere Ubu Tracks I think, personally, that BAILING and ART OF WALKING are their worst... But, that's just my opinion. WORLDS IN COLLISION and DUB HOUSING are my favorite LPs. ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:52:28 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng yes, yes, jane is good. listen, short and sweet, the Barenaked Ladies sing a song about her, and many other artists have songs with janes. hey, even tom petty did it. jane jane jane. and we can give her the middle name, Persephone. Jane Persephone. maybe Persephone Jane? I liiiiiike it!! - -aimee ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:58:43 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng > > First of all, their name with Frank Black was > > They Might Be Frank > Linnell wasn't playing with them at that particular concert so Frank took > Linnell's spot leading the jam at the end of Spy. > > Second of all, the girl on the JH album needs a more simple name. TMBG like > things simple -- look at Pearl For those of you who don't know, The dot > matrix picture of the little girl's face on the back of some TMBG shirts and > on big posters at their concert has a name -- it's Pearl > Keep it simple -- I think the JH girl should be named ------ Jane ----- But I don't think that that dot matrix girl is the JH girl is she? Also, Pearl just doesn't seem to fit this chick, not any of the other names, they are too fancy or weird or something like that. She looks like a Jennifer or something (yeah I know it may be somewhat anti-climatic considering how many Jennifers there are in this world, and we want some unique cool name but it just seems to fit so well) - --Matt - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Jason Weiner Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 15:01:44 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: XTC & the return of freaksickle On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Anthony F. Portizo wrote: > just have to see for my self on this glorious day....OH by the way did anyone > see the small clip of the TMBG video Istanbul on the commercial for this > weeks best of unplugged week on MTV...they show the little animated drum > guy... Other Istanbul video sighting: On Comedy Central (Ab Fab rules!) they have a show that they make a new episode of every once in a while called "Comedy Off-Central". The first episode was hosted by Sofia Coppola and some friend of hers and featured appearances by Thurston Moore in "Thurston's corner." But that's not important. What is is that the second episode was hosted by some no-name kid from what looked like a bedroom. Here comes the cool part. On his wall was a John Henry poster (I think Persephone would work) and the second clip he proceeded to show was the Istanbul video in its entirety! I don't have this on tape;sorry. Jason "Hail Eris!" "All Hail Discordia!" ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:04:24 -0400 (EDT) Subject: who sings what? Talking about who sings what has been interesting and everybody seems to differ on certain songs. Some people seem to think that the vocalists on certain songs are so clear cut but it seems that Linnell's and Flans's voices are much closer in sound than people think (or at least I think). You might think Flans being the big guy and sounding somewhat different vocally than Linnell that his voice would be rather distince from Linnell but when you hear them sing their songs (especially when you have Flans singing high and Linnell singing lower) it is hard to tell who is doing the singing. I don't know if this is natural or if their singing style has morphed closer to each other's voices because they've been in the band together for so long or what but it is definitely hard to tell sometimes. I've been listening to them for quite a while now and have most all of their stuff and I still will pop in an album and think to myself, "ya know, I'm not sure who's singing this" (at least at first anyway and sometimes through deeper listening. Anyway on to other messages! - --Matt - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:03:31 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, aimee elisabeth pflieger wrote: > yes, yes, jane is good. listen, short and sweet, the Barenaked Ladies > sing a song about her, and many other artists have songs with janes. > hey, even tom petty did it. > jane jane jane. > and we can give her the middle name, Persephone. > Jane Persephone. > maybe Persephone Jane? I liiiiiike it!! > -aimee > plus my mom's name is jane. but i still like persephone the best. soph ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:07:47 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: XTC & the return of freaksickle On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Jason Weiner wrote: > On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Anthony F. Portizo wrote: > > just have to see for my self on this glorious day....OH by the way did anyone > > see the small clip of the TMBG video Istanbul on the commercial for this > > weeks best of unplugged week on MTV...they show the little animated drum > > guy... > > > Other Istanbul video sighting: On Comedy Central (Ab Fab rules!) they > have a show that they make a new episode of every once in a while called > "Comedy Off-Central". The first episode was hosted by Sofia Coppola and > some friend of hers and featured appearances by Thurston Moore in > "Thurston's corner." But that's not important. What is is that the second > episode was hosted by some no-name kid from what looked like a bedroom. > Here comes the cool part. On his wall was a John Henry poster (I think > Persephone would work) and the second clip he proceeded to show was the > Istanbul video in its entirety! I don't have this on tape;sorry. > > Jason "Hail Eris!" > "All Hail Discordia!" > What he said. I saw it too, but dont have it on video. I dont have any on tape. Anyone want to help me out here? Im dyin' here. soph ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:23:28 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Who Singeth what In the immortal words of Phoenix777@aol.com: >Has anybody else looked at the "Who Sings What" List and totally disagreed >with it? It has Flans listed singing Puppet Head and some others that are >totally screwed up. If there are any comments about the Who Sings What list, *please* let me know. When it was first released I had several songs backwards (it's surprisingly easy to type L for Flans or F for Linnell!) and people helped correct it. As for your particular comments: I think everyone else on the list has adequately defended the status quo. :) ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:13:43 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Handling it Thinking back on the irrelevancy thread (I think it's pretty much over now) it seems that the guy's message that I'm responding to now (I forgot to copy the message but it had to do with this issue) was on the target about not responding to these type of messages. And for the most part I think that people will not respond to the messages a great deal (usually some people will respond for a little while but it'll die away and some other topic of TMBGness will come along and everyone will start talking about that). Generally this stuff occurs when there's not much of a topic to discuss at the current time about TMBG. Other times people just like to be funny or whatever and throw in stupid stuff (which is ok to a certain extent) and it can be fun to occasionally talk about this. But when it comes to pretty vulgar stuff (like that message with Linnell and the blowjob, sorry for mentioning that again) I would hope the good folks of this list would ignore that kind of stuff. Also, when something pretty irrelevant comes along there can be enjoyment from it and people can tie it into TMBG and it depends on the popularity of it as well as if it really is a good message that determines if it's at least a partially valid post. It's all basically a judgment call, though. There will be people who get pissed about things that aren't that bad and that's gonna happen because certain people like certain things and others tolerate certain amounts of stuff. That's life. It happens, but it usually goes away fairly quickly so that's how I basically look at a topic. Or else if I see the subject I just skip over it (if they did indeed put it in their subject which I try to do most of the time). I would just say to try to stay on topic but a little digression isn't bad and can be rather good in fueling the list and making a majority happy. Oh well, hopefully this clears up any doubts about anything, or if you're skipping over this message (which you're probably doing cause it's so darn long) than just ignore this ;) - --Matt - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #31 *****************************************