From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #32 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Thursday, 12 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 032 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:31:52 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Howling In the immortal words of Lisa /Matthew /SMS Music Co.: >BTW, I thought it was 'Daddy *sang* bass. If memory serves, both "daddy'll sing bass" and "daddy sang bass" are sung in the Johnny Cash song. I couldn't tell you which one was sampled for "Boat of Car", since I've never heard the original song. ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 16:37:03 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Off Topic Discussion In the immortal words of Rabid Child: >> 3) I could set the "Reply" addresses on messages bounced >> through the list to the sender of the message rather >> then the list. Right now replying to a message from the >> list should automatically send back to the list. By >> sending to the author a lot of 'noise' won't actually >> go to the list. > >not a good one either. This would result in people not sending stuff that >other people may want to read to the list. And how is that bad? :) My email program actively prevents me from replying to individual senders when the reply-to header is present. If there is no reply-to, then I can do a "group reply" to send to the sender and the list. Still not perfect, as it results in doubled messages to the sender, but at least I can choose to minimize list traffic in this case. Right now I am *forced* to send to the whole list... Also remember that if the recipient thinks others might find it useful, (s)he can always forward a copy to the list. I wholeheartedly vote to remove the reply-to. >5) leave everything just the way it is. This is a high volume list with >lotsa love. Just remember our ramblings shut out quite a few would-be subscribers... ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Thu, 12 Oct 95 16:18:38 MDT Subject: Re: Covers--Frankenstein Now that you mention it, THEY played Frankenstein in Denver, when I saw them in concert July, 1994. =============================================================================== RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "The one man lays down 10 percent, another one trembles and shakes, I save my money. I handle snakes" --Tonio K =============================================================================== ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:19:30 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: XTC & the return of freaksickle On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, sara kathleen smith wrote: > On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Jason Weiner wrote: > > > On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Anthony F. Portizo wrote: > > > just have to see for my self on this glorious day....OH by the way did anyone > > > see the small clip of the TMBG video Istanbul on the commercial for this > > > weeks best of unplugged week on MTV...they show the little animated drum > > > guy... > > > > > > Other Istanbul video sighting: On Comedy Central (Ab Fab rules!) they > > have a show that they make a new episode of every once in a while called > > "Comedy Off-Central". The first episode was hosted by Sofia Coppola and > > some friend of hers and featured appearances by Thurston Moore in > > "Thurston's corner." But that's not important. What is is that the second > > episode was hosted by some no-name kid from what looked like a bedroom. > > Here comes the cool part. On his wall was a John Henry poster (I think > > Persephone would work) and the second clip he proceeded to show was the > > Istanbul video in its entirety! I don't have this on tape;sorry. > > > > Jason "Hail Eris!" > > "All Hail Discordia!" > > > > What he said. I saw it too, but dont have it on video. I dont have any on > tape. Anyone want to help me out here? Im dyin' here. > soph > sure, i'll help, sophie!! Well, not much, but i'll share my story. I had it on tape and watched it incessantly for about a week, but our tape player went bananas and ate the tape. And that's the end of the story. Maybe there is a curse on the vidoe, considering how many people had it in their clutches and then all was lost. - -a ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:26:37 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Off Topic Discussion > > In the immortal words of Rabid Child: > > >> 3) I could set the "Reply" addresses on messages bounced > >> through the list to the sender of the message rather > >> then the list. Right now replying to a message from the > >> list should automatically send back to the list. By > >> sending to the author a lot of 'noise' won't actually > >> go to the list. > > > >not a good one either. This would result in people not sending stuff that > >other people may want to read to the list. > > And how is that bad? :) My email program actively prevents me > from replying to individual senders when the reply-to header is > present. If there is no reply-to, then I can do a "group reply" to > send to the sender and the list. Still not perfect, as it results in > doubled messages to the sender, but at least I can choose to minimize > list traffic in this case. Right now I am *forced* to send to the > whole list... > > Also remember that if the recipient thinks others might find it > useful, (s)he can always forward a copy to the list. I wholeheartedly > vote to remove the reply-to. In defense of the reply to (because a lot of the stuff I reply to I think it relevant to most everyone) you could do a forward to an person if you only want them to get it, and you can edit the message to whatever you want it to say. That way you could reply to the list and forward to individuals depending on where you wanted the message to go to. Any other ideas? - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:30:07 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Off Topic Discussion > > > > > In the immortal words of Rabid Child: > > > > >> 3) I could set the "Reply" addresses on messages bounced > > >> through the list to the sender of the message rather > > >> then the list. Right now replying to a message from the > > >> list should automatically send back to the list. By > > >> sending to the author a lot of 'noise' won't actually > > >> go to the list. > > > > > >not a good one either. This would result in people not sending stuff that > > >other people may want to read to the list. > > > > And how is that bad? :) My email program actively prevents me > > from replying to individual senders when the reply-to header is > > present. If there is no reply-to, then I can do a "group reply" to > > send to the sender and the list. Still not perfect, as it results in > > doubled messages to the sender, but at least I can choose to minimize > > list traffic in this case. Right now I am *forced* to send to the > > whole list... > > > > Also remember that if the recipient thinks others might find it > > useful, (s)he can always forward a copy to the list. I wholeheartedly > > vote to remove the reply-to. > In defense of the reply to (because a lot of the stuff I reply to I > think it relevant to most everyone) you could do a forward to an > person if you only want them to get it, and you can edit the message > to whatever you want it to say. That way you could reply to the list > and forward to individuals depending on where you wanted the message > to go to. Any other ideas? I just realized something after I wrote this, when you forward it asks you who you want to forward it to and you have to go back and look at the email address and tell it who you want to forward it to which can be a slight pain, but not too bad (ya can cut and paste the address I suppose). - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Rhombus the Rhinoceros Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 18:43:14 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng > yes, yes, jane is good. listen, short and sweet, the Barenaked Ladies > sing a song about her, and many other artists have songs with janes. > hey, even tom petty did it. > jane jane jane. > and we can give her the middle name, Persephone. > Jane Persephone. > maybe Persephone Jane? I liiiiiike it!! > -aimee I say, Persephone Jane! I think it really has a nice ring to it. Persephone is by far the best choice available, but the Jane added to it makes it sound even cooler. Just check out that freaky girl and think 'Persephone Jane.' It fits so well:) Nathan ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 23:45:29 +0100 Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Chris Miko said: >Second of all, the girl on the JH album needs a more simple name. TMBG like >things simple -- look at Pearl For those of you who don't know, The dot >matrix picture of the little girl's face on the back of some TMBG shirts and >on big posters at their concert has a name -- it's Pearl >Keep it simple -- I think the JH girl should be named ------ Jane ----- I don't know anything about Pearl, but I think that DOT would be a nice, and quite Frank Blackly, appropriate name. It sorta conveniently ties everything together..... Just my tuppence worth. Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 19:02:44 -0600 Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng >also not quite as long as some other names, like, oh, the average run of the >mill 14 digit name. You know the ones I'm talking about. Oh, yeah, like 48395766100829. I hate those. :-) ********************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer \ JC(A+R) / Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu \_______/ Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:35:41 -0700 Subject: Re: The JH Girl(Would You stop this?Please?) >I'm with Cathy on this one - PLEASE don't vote for any form of Genevieve for >the JH Girl's name. Yes, I mean the name obviously rocks and all (and I'm >pronouncing it as the American Bastardization - JEN-uh-veev - blame my >parents), but really... I'd be very sad if this was the consensus. I don't think it's really fair that you people are out here trying to pressure other people into votingf for one name or the other...That said, EVERYONE VOTE FOR CHLOE! > Delicatessen has an awesome opening scene, but that's all I've seen of it. >I'd expect more TMBG fans to love Clerks! This is, IMHO, the best movie ever >and the only one where I can quote the lines before the characters (well, >Holy Grail, too...). " No time for love Dr. Jones!' ' Kids today..." >Go watch Clerks!!!!! Yes, I mean you! Clerks ROCKS, and so does Delicatessen!!! > I guess the JH girl looks kind of like a Shannon... now we'll hear from >all the Shannon's on the list... Shannon, huh? Really? well, it's on. - -Rabid Child *** New update in a bit(Getting kinda big now.) VOTING STARTS FRIDAY in the "Name that JH girl contest!" *** ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:35:48 -0700 Subject: The "Name That JH Girl!" Contest.(Take 2) So here are the suggestions I have so far,(not counting blatant spam ones like 'Jerry') Keep sending 'em in, and we can all vote for them starting on friday! Zoe Madaline Chloe Alice Persephone The John Henry Girl Hagas Elizabeth Trinni Eunice Astra Little Lizzie Borden} (Well seeing as she's carrying that pick-axe O.J. Simpdaughter} and looking so demonic and all.) Phoebe Genevieve (*Pronounced JEN-uh-veev) Genevieve (*Pronounced jean-vee-EHV) soph Stephanie - -Rabid Child (VOTE FRIDAY!!!) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:36:00 -0700 Subject: Re: The "Name That JH Girl!" Contest.(Take 2) >> (Oh, and Cathy, you don't get to vote till friday!) > >That wasn't a vote. It was a frantic plea for you all to not scar me >permanently by naming the creepy JH girl my name. It was also >campaining, which, as far as I know is not against the rules. OKOKOKOKOK, my fault, no, campaigning is not against the rules, because I didn't think of it, but it does seem underhanded in some way...As for scarring you permanently, that's not against the rules... - -Rabid Child >Cathy > >Phoebe! Phoebe! Phoebe! >******************************************** >"I am not the only dust my mother raised" > They Might Be Giants > >Catherine Gurry > >catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu >********************************************* 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:36:08 -0700 Subject: Re: Ana Ng Interp >> Point made, but if you point a gun at the globe, resting the barrel on that >> globe , it will tilt upwards, pointing at, approximately NYC. > >If you rest the barrel on the globe, the shot will be parallel, not >perpendicular. perpendicular makes a T shape, while paeallel looks >like two l"s together (T as opposed to ll) >Cathy Now, I hate mathematics nowadays, but I do know that a globe is rounded, and if you place the barell against the surface, it would look like this: | | - -Gun Barrel | | ------ /--------------\ / \ Globe(Sorta) | | \ / \ _________/ and the top of the globe is parallel to the sides of the gun, thinking of the barrel as a line for purposes of vector, and the bullet would go perpendicular. If, instead, you thought I meant rest the barrel, as in balance/lie it on top, sorry, I misspoke. - -Rabid Child 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:36:20 -0700 Subject: Re: Clerk, movies and TMBG (Begin Snips) > Anyway has >anyone heard the new TMBG song on the soundtrack to MMPW It's called >Sensorround and It rocks!!! I just don't want to buy the whole album to get >one song -- I f I had money, it would be worth it though You don't come here alot, do you? anyway, speculation has it that Snsrnd will be on SuperFueled Freakscicle, a new B-Side comp to be released soon(-ish) >Yes I must say Clerks certainly does rule!!! I just wish TMBG could/would do >musci for cool movies like that. Yeah, the whole time I was watching that movie, I thought 'TurnAround' or some other would go great. >That blows almost as hard as Linell's. That was tasteless and immature, if that's the $h!t you're going to post, don't post again. >Chris Miko - -Rabid Child 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: Phoenix777@aol.com Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:26:22 -0400 Subject: [none] e discussion lately about who sings what, I thought I'd ask: Has anybody else looked at the "Who Sings What" List and totally disagreed with it? It has Flans listed singing Puppet Head and some others that are totally screwed up. Lemme know if you agree with this: Linnel has a higher pitched nasal voice most of the time and sings Birdhouse and Snail Shell and Ana Ng. Flans has a lower, rougher voice that is employed in the singing of (She was a)Hotel Detective version one and Pencil Rain and Whistling In the Dark. Listen to those songs and compare the voices. To me, they're quite distinctive. Adam "we are among you" Luikart ------------------------------ From: David Vogelgesang <924304@xavier.xu.edu> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:40:04 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng I agree with the name persephone. It really fits...in a weird, twisted,, TMBG sort of way, you know? Ziggy ------------------------------ From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 95 21:43:01 EDT Subject: borderline hey there all! this is going to possibly offend some of you, so please dont read it if it will offend you. or, read it and ignore it. just please dont flame me. :) speaking of the movie *clerks*, i am reminded of our (my bf, me, and the people who were there when we watched it) favorite quote, which, in light of all the recent talk on teh digest, seems disturbingly appropriate: "try not to suck any dicks on your way through the parking lot" (dont quote me onteh exact syntax--its been a bit since ive seen it, but thats the gist, anyway). :D just a (disturbed) thought. peace, anne "please dont flame me for this message" heidemann ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ From: Erik Swedberg Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:16:24 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Covers > Songs They have covered, off the top of my head... > I know there are more, but i'm in a rush... > > The Monkees "What Am I Doing Hanging Around?" > PAL JOEY: There's A Small Hotel > Bewitched > I Could Write A Book > My Funny Valentine > BABES IN ARMS: Lady Is A Tramp > Leslie Gore: "Maybe I Know" > ?: "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" > Allmans: "Jessica" > SPACE SONGS: "Why Does The Sun Shine?" > Meat Puppets: "Whirlpool" > Unit 4+2: "Concrete & Clay" > ?: "Next Plane To London" > Ramones: "I Wanna Be Sedated" > XTC: "25 O Clock" and of course edgar winter's Fankenstein... wow i didn't know they'd done that many and I don't think I'v even heard half of those songs...they said on the tonight show that they did 'Freebird', i think, maybe 'You are my sunshine'. The one song I've always thought would kick ass by TMBG is the Beastie Boys' "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" with the accordion taking the powerful guitar chords and the solo....plus you have the no sleep/coffee NYC/Brooklyn connections....yeah, anyway.... gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ From: Erik Swedberg Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:32:11 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Who Singeth what > > Flans has a lower, rougher voice that is employed in the singing of (She was > > a)Hotel Detective version one and Pencil Rain and Whistling In the Dark. > > Listen to those songs and compare the voices. To me, they're quite > > distinctive. > > Flans sometimes seems to be able to "do more with his voice". He also > sings Extra Saviour Faire, which isn't too bassy in my opinion. > Both have great voices in my opinion, but Linnel's definitely shines out in the end for versatility/creativity/range...listen to south carolina (state song), the end of the tour, a self called nowhere, Mr. Klaw, and hello radio....anyway his voice proves to be more outstanding (though at times nasally and whiny)....wheras flans' voice (especially live) is easily lost in the mix....when they both harmonize it seems linnel usually takes the lower part, more of a groan/whine....yeah but anyway, linnell's the tortured genius, with flans as his sidekick...just look at (about the entire album of) john henry. i'll bet spacesuit was all his too.... gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #32 *****************************************