From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #33 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Friday, 13 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 033 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: aj514@osfn.rhilinet.gov (Mary Moretti) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 22:29:54 -0400 Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng cast my vote for persephone as well... she stood out in the underworld the way TMBG stands out compared to the boring plonk of the mainstream. mary - -- p q q q ------------------------------ From: Erik Swedberg Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:39:37 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Who sings what > be pure speculation since all songs are credited TMBG, but it might generate > some interesting discussion. I've always assumed whoever sings lead wrote the > song, but this isn't always clear, and I bet they right for each other > sometimes anyway. i bet that's right for the most part (i got a radio interview on tape after flood and on it linnel says something like "we USED to write together, but now we just mostly call the other guy up and say hey listen to what I just wrote...). But you gotta admit linnell is just god. He's the real leader of the band (they played Pencil Rain during their last tour in college station, TX, and during their practice of it in soundcheck, linnel stopped the whole band midsong, and gave everyone a pep talk which went something like," Don't you guys think the song sounds like its just plodding along (lots of hand gestures for this part), i mean its just kind of going da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH", then they practised again and it sounded better). After all, they used to call Linnel the professor... gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ From: Erik Swedberg Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:49:39 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: your mail > Flans has a lower, rougher voice that is employed in the singing of (She was > a)Hotel Detective version one and Pencil Rain and Whistling In the Dark. > Listen to those songs and compare the voices. To me, they're quite > distinctive. that's definitely Linnel singing on my version of pencil rain (on Lincoln)... Just listen to the vibrato when he says "insane" in the first verse and the way, at the beginning of the song, he makes Pencil Rain sound almost like "Pantsil rain"....and flans doing backups at the end.... gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ From: "I hear you, and I will fight for the name PERSEPHONE." Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 22:37:43 -0500 Subject: no v0te there's no need to vote. her name is persephone. they told me. the voices in my head. they are getting louder. they told me I must present the spread of names that are not persephone. if we must vote, please do what you must do. vote for persephone. the voices might visit you next. they will tell you to vote persephone. her eyes have a pleading look in their eyes. look at her and think about persephone. you too will know. ------------------------------ From: aj514@osfn.rhilinet.gov (Mary Moretti) Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 23:57:41 -0400 Subject: Re: no v0te lol - -- p q q q ------------------------------ From: "I hear you, and I will fight for the name PERSEPHONE." Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 23:08:03 -0500 Subject: We Want A Rock does anyone ever think that We Want A Rock is one of TMBG's best songs? It is definetley one of my favorites, and I like it more every time i hear it. try it while you look at the cover of JH and think about persephone. ------------------------------ From: pvachusk@uwcmail.uwc.edu Date: Fri Oct 13 07:08:08 CDT 1995 Subject: Re: The "Name That JH Girl!" Contest.(Take 2) My vote has to go with "Persephone." At least here there is a reason for the name besides "G-------- sounds like a cool name" or "Jane was my mother's name." Persephone stands for something. And while "Persephone Jane" has a nice ring to it, the reason for this is because it sounds like "Calamity Jane" and I don't know if this is relevent. - -Peter ------------------------------ From: pvachusk@uwcmail.uwc.edu Date: Fri Oct 13 07:09:56 CDT 1995 Subject: Re: Who Singeth what - ---gaucho@main.com writes--- >....yeah but anyway, linnell's the tortured genius, with flans as his >sidekick... WHOA! STOP! Read your history. Some of the people who know or knew them best thought that it was the other way around. Certainly neither is deserving of the term _sidekick_. They're about as equal as we can hope for. - -Peter ------------------------------ From: aj514@osfn.rhilinet.gov (Mary Moretti) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 08:40:47 -0400 Subject: Re: The "Name That JH Girl!" Contest.(Take 2) (please forgive me as i'm a bear in the morning when i haven't had coffee) please lets get beyone the yang-yanging and voting, it was funny at first but it's getting old really fast. i'm new and would like hearing about all of you, maybe .... whatever.... forgive my venting! - -- p q q q ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 09:38:24 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Status report There's been some discussion about all the crap the list generates. I'll admit there is a lot of extra junk that goes by, but that's the way the list has always operation, and I'm not inclined to change it unless it gets a lot worse. Anyway, I thought you all might be interested in some numbers, currently subscribed, we have: 87 tmbg-list 151 tmbg-digest 238 total As for mailer numbers, my machine has sent out 102,258 messages since September 23, which total 301 megabytes of data in only about 3 weeks. That's a lot of stuff. I make no judgements, just remember when you send something to the list 238 people get a copy of it. - -- 'Cause the love that you gave that we made wasn't able to make it enough for you to be open wide, no, and every time you speak her name does she know how you told me you'd hold me until you died, 'til you died, but you're still alive. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 09:45:40 EDT Subject: Re: Who Singeth what > Since there has been some discussion lately about who sings what, I thought > I'd ask: > Has anybody else looked at the "Who Sings What" List and totally disagreed > with it? It has Flans listed singing Puppet Head and some others that are I havent looked at the list but Flans does sing Puppet Head. > totally screwed up. > Lemme know if you agree with this: > Linnel has a higher pitched nasal voice most of the time and sings Birdhouse > and Snail Shell and Ana Ng. This is true > Flans has a lower, rougher voice that is employed in the singing of (She was > a)Hotel Detective version one and Pencil Rain and Whistling In the Dark. > Listen to those songs and compare the voices. To me, they're quite > distinctive. > > Adam "we are among you" Luikart > ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 09:10:25 -0500 Subject: Re: Who sings what >Actually the who sings what list is pretty correct. As far as who sings the >falsetto on "She was a hotel detective" (prob. my favorite TMBG song btw) I >don't think I'll ever decide. It's Linnell (evil grin;-)... >However they also BOTH can sing very high and very low, so you can't say as a >rule which will be the higher voice. They also have some 'wierd' voices too, In my opinion, Flans has both the higher voice and the broader range. That is, his most comfortable singing range is higher than Linnell's and he seems to be able to sing both (approximately) as low as and higher than Linnell, and to jump to and use the upper part of his vocal range with less effort. This is in no way a value judgement or indication of musical ability or vocal talent, just an observation on the relative physical characteristics of their voices based upon my experience as a musician and singer. m@t ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 09:18:33 -0500 Subject: Re: Covers >Songs They have covered, off the top of my head... >I know there are more, but i'm in a rush... > >The Monkees "What Am I Doing Hanging Around?" >PAL JOEY: There's A Small Hotel > Bewitched > I Could Write A Book > My Funny Valentine >BABES IN ARMS: Lady Is A Tramp >Leslie Gore: "Maybe I Know" Are some of these Stump the Band/Spin the Dial songs, or are they "actual" covers that have either been recorded or performed on a regular basis (as in the case of Frankenstein)? m@t ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 11:50:31 EDT Subject: Re: no v0te > there's no need to vote. her name is persephone. they told me. the voices > in my head. they are getting louder. they told me I must present the > spread of names that are not persephone. if we must vote, please do what > you must do. vote for persephone. the voices might visit you next. they > will tell you to vote persephone. her eyes have a pleading look in their > eyes. look at her and think about persephone. you too will know. > > > OK thats her name. But seek help.... :) ------------------------------ From: Phoenix777@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 12:36:54 -0400 Subject: [none] great job of shattering the beliefs I've based my whole TMBG-worship upon. To think, a world where Linnel's not singing Puppet Head!! I shudder at the thought. I still totally disagree with all you types, but seeing as I've never seen a video by Them and still haven't gone to a concert, I'm a gonna be shutting up because I might be wrong (which sounds odd, yes, I know). A world where Flans doesn't sing Pencil Rain... Is nothing sacred? Oh, one of you wanted to know who Writes what... I read in either an interview with Them or in a FAQ that if one of them writes it, then that one of them will do the singing. Which is quite possible considering the versitility of Their voices, as you all have so tactfully pointed out. Is the Live in New York CD set worth shoveling out 33 bucks for? Adam "..." Luikart ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 12:51:23 EDT Subject: [none] > great job of shattering the beliefs I've based my whole > TMBG-worship upon. To think, a world where Linnel's not singing Puppet Head!! > I shudder at the thought. I still totally disagree with all you types, but > seeing as I've never seen a video by Them and still haven't gone to a > concert, I'm a gonna be shutting up because I might be wrong (which sounds > odd, yes, I know). > A world where Flans doesn't sing Pencil Rain... > Is nothing sacred? > That's OK it seems like a lot of people go to the wrong John. But for the videos. You can buy the Video Complination just about anywhere. You can special order it at Block Buster for $12. Its defently worth the money to buy it. (although it is kinda short) It has Purple Toupee, Anna Ng, They'll Need A Craine, Don't Lets Start, (She was a) Hotel Detective and Puppet Head (not nessarly in that order) > Is the Live in New York CD set worth shoveling out 33 bucks for? Its TMBG isn't it? And where are you gonna get this from (I want it!) ------------------------------ From: Brad Tutterow Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 11:54:33 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: JH Girl, Ana Ng Jane is uninspired. Do you know how many people associate Jane with a plethora of baby boomers just lying around. It's just way too common. Persephone is quite nice. Rolls off the tongue. (Of course, so does toothpaste if you're sloppy) Brad Tutterow TMBG or DEATH! tutterow@stlcop.edu  ------------------------------ From: Brad Tutterow Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 12:00:37 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Who sings what > i bet that's right for the most part (i got a radio interview on > tape after flood and on it linnel says something like "we USED to write > together, but now we just mostly call the other guy up and say hey listen > to what I just wrote...). But you gotta admit linnell is just god. He's > the real leader of the band (they played Pencil Rain during their last > tour in college station, TX, and during their practice of it in > soundcheck, linnel stopped the whole band midsong, and gave everyone > a pep talk which went something like," Don't you guys think the song > sounds like its just plodding along (lots of hand gestures for this > part), i mean its just kind of going da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH", > then they practised again and it sounded better). After all, they used to > call Linnel the professor... > > gaucho@main.com > j. Linnel IS God. Just listen to She's an Angel. All the great songs you can chalk up to Linnel. ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:10:00 EST Subject: Re: Accident > I'm guessing you're talking about South Carolina, in which case all of the > vocals are done by Linnell. The coolest of the state songs, IMHO. Cathy ( a New Yorker by Birth, South Carolinian by the grace of my Father's work) ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "Mark levine" Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 10:13:06 PDT Subject: Re: Covers What songs do They cover? Have there been any covers of tmbg by other bands? The only recorded cover of a TMGB song I've ever heard of is The Bobs, doing a version of Particle Man on "The Bobs Sing...". It's cute, but nothing on the original. And the list of songs that They have covered has already been pretty well, er, covered, by others... ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 13:18:29 EDT Subject: Re: Accident > > I'm guessing you're talking about South Carolina, in which case all of the > > vocals are done by Linnell. > > The coolest of the state songs, IMHO. > > Cathy well your on that. Which state songs have been made already? BTW how long does it take to mail something from Texas to Maryland? ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:19:19 EST Subject: Re: Ana Ng Interp > If, instead, you thought I meant rest the barrel, as in balance/lie it on > top, sorry, I misspoke. > -Rabid Child What you described is exactly what I was trying to describe. Aiming the barrell at the globe, (so that the hole the bullet comes out of is resting on the globe) will create a perpendicular shot. When you said rest, I thought you meant, like, lie the barrel on the globe, so that the bullet would go somewhere other than the globe itself. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:29:48 EST Subject: Re: Live in NY > > Is the Live in New York CD set worth shoveling out 33 bucks for? > > Its TMBG isn't it? And where are you gonna get this from (I want it!) This is a set? What else does it have besides the CD? I have a copy of the CD, and yes, It's worth it. Even with Donna Donna or whatever the hell her name is. It has the concert version of WDTSS, and Flans introduces the band, and he and Linnell say stuff throught the whole thing. It's very cool, and one of the highlights of my collection. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:34:57 EST Subject: Re: The "Name That JH Girl!" Contest.(Take 2) > (Oh, and Cathy, you don't get to vote till friday!) Well, it's friday. And I know I was actively campaiging for Phoebe. It was after all, my suggestion. I am changing my vote to Persephone. It has a nice ring, and I've always been a sucker for mythological names. (pity my future children) So cast my vote for Persephone. >...As for scarring you permanently, that's not against the rules... How cruel. Be careful, or I may hammer down on your rabbit ears. :) Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 13:39:05 EDT Subject: Re: Live in NY > > > Is the Live in New York CD set worth shoveling out 33 bucks for? > > > > Its TMBG isn't it? And where are you gonna get this from (I want it!) > > This is a set? What else does it have besides the CD? I have a copy > of the CD, and yes, It's worth it. Even with Donna Donna or whatever > the hell her name is. It has the concert version of WDTSS, and Flans > introduces the band, and he and Linnell say stuff throught the whole > thing. It's very cool, and one of the highlights of my collection. > Where'd you get your's at. Also I heard someone on my BBS say a while back go that somehwere they saw a two disc version of JH. Does anyone know if there is this version floating around and if it is whats on it? ------------------------------ From: "I hear you, and I will fight for the name PERSEPHONE." Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:17:17 -0500 Subject: [none] Are we supposed to send our votes to the list or to another address? in the first case I vote for... um, Persephone. in any other case I vote for esmerelda, I mean, please give an address to send my vote to. don't make her use the pick on you. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 14:34:47 EDT Subject: [none] > Are we supposed to send our votes to the list or to another address? > > in the first case I vote for... um, Persephone. > > in any other case I vote for esmerelda, I mean, please give an address to > send my vote to. Intresting you say Esmerelda. come to think of it she does kinda remind me of Samantha's mom on Bewitched. ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:53:39 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Covers > Are some of these Stump the Band/Spin the Dial songs, or are they "actual" > covers that have either been recorded or performed on a regular basis (as in > the case of Frankenstein)? The latter. A Stump the Band list would take years, and I think it's been compiled. These were all compiled on occasion-- see the Early Years Faq for specifics. They also covered Walt Kelly's "Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow". ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #33 *****************************************