From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #34 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Friday, 13 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 034 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Idiotnot@aol.com Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 14:53:51 -0400 Subject: Re: Persephone's out of jail In a message dated 95-10-11 23:38:45 EDT, you write: >but liked the P-name a lot....Persephone How about Pandora? BlueDog in the box. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 15:12:44 EDT Subject: Re: Persephone's out of jail > In a message dated 95-10-11 23:38:45 EDT, you write: > > >but liked the P-name a lot....Persephone > > How about Pandora? > > BlueDog in the box. > Persephone is good. Anyname that doesn't sound like how its spelled is good. Anything is good just as long as its not as long as Princess Angelna Contessia Lousia Fransicia Bonana Fana Fo Feska The Third (Tee hee). ------------------------------ From: brown-eyed pickle boy Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 14:09:06 -0500 Subject: re: vote Well, I guess I have to agree. Although the name "The John Henry Girl" is utilitarian, I'm going to have to vote for Persephone. It just seems right. searching for truth and freedom - ------------------------------------------------------ I had a stranger's dream/I dreamed I killed you again/don't make me kill you again/'cause I couldn't bear to kill you, again. ------------------------------ From: pvachusk@uwcmail.uwc.edu Date: Fri Oct 13 14:12:57 CDT 1995 Subject: Re: Live in NY >> > Is the Live in New York CD set worth shoveling out 33 bucks for? >> >> Its TMBG isn't it? And where are you gonna get this from (I want it!) > >This is a set? What else does it have besides the CD? I have a copy >of the CD, and yes, It's worth it. Even with Donna Donna or whatever >the hell her name is. It has the concert version of WDTSS, and Flans >introduces the band, and he and Linnell say stuff throught the whole >thing. It's very cool, and one of the highlights of my collection. OK. So now you've convinced me that I need this and I have 33 bucks. Where do I get this CD(set)? Is my local record shop going to have it or is there a web-company that sells it? Do I have to go out and buy a CD player (even if its against my principles) or can I get it on tape? [More realistically -- make a tape from it and sell the original] I need more information. Is it legitimate? If so, what record company makes it? BTW, How long is it? - -Peter ------------------------------ From: "I hear you, and I will fight for the name PERSEPHONE." Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 14:41:20 -0500 Subject: completley irrelevant message. ok, I'm going home for the weekend, and when I get back, I expect my mailbox to contain a few hundred messages from this list, so don't think this is a good chance to take a break from posting. wow, the subject line was wrong... VOTE FOR PERSEPHONE, that look on her face is a threat. ------------------------------ From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 15:49:23 EDT Subject: Re: Status Report Regarding all the crap that we have to sift through to get interesting info, I must admit I find these things annoying: - - Replies to previous posts which include too much of the original. Use your editor and trim down what you send back. - - Replies to queries which call for factual data to which folks answer off the tops of their heads and supply an incorrect/incomplete answer, therefore spawning a generation of corrections. If you aren't 99.9% certain, don't reply. - - Signatures which violate netiquette. Hey, c'mon, we see some of these several times a digest. Keep those sigs down to only a couple lines, please. Together we can make this a better world to live in. :) Thanks - -- John J. Pletikapich john@msd.measurex.com ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 15:49:19 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Status Report > - Signatures which violate netiquette. Hey, c'mon, we see some > of these several times a digest. Keep those sigs down to only > a couple lines, please. I've thought several times about removing all .sig's from a message before digesting it, so the digest would have no .sigs in it at all. Is anyone opposed? - -- 'Cause the love that you gave that we made wasn't able to make it enough for you to be open wide, no, and every time you speak her name does she know how you told me you'd hold me until you died, 'til you died, but you're still alive. ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 16:18:00 -0600 Subject: Re: Status Report > I've thought several times about removing all .sig's >from a message before digesting it, so the digest would have >no .sigs in it at all. Is anyone opposed? That's cool for the *digest* (not the list) but I'm interested how you would automate that. Would it have to be a manual job? ********************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer \ JC(A+R) / Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu \_______/ Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 03:12:39 +0700 Subject: 'nuff said ................................................................................ SOUTH CAROLINA is a thing of genius! Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ From: Paul Stysley Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 16:36:09 -0400 Subject: 25 o'clock Hi lo how's everybody? I just heard the xtc song TMBG did for the tribute album. (the radio station at my school got it so I played it on my show) It was cool. Happy joy. I wonder why they picked that one. i know they wanted to do this is pop but hey. Well just had to express my happiness. thanks. TTFN may the force be with you paul (iamafish) ------------------------------ From: hsifrevliS Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:41:35 -0700 (PDT) Subject: "We Want A Rock" Of course "We Want A Rock" is the best song. I already said that a couple of days ago. It's weird, though, because I never usually even stop to think which John is singing which song, and I've owned all of Their albums for I don't know how long. Kerry/Silverfish/Mr. Self Destruct/OzDrexsky/Trompe Le Monde/Slvrfish on IRC +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / "The only thing to fear is fearlessness.." + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+//-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- R.E.M. +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "Feels like a heartbreak, but it's nothing near that great" - J. Hatfield + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ------------------------------ From: BlueDog Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 14:06:15 -0700 Subject: Re: Who Singeth what At 01:59 PM 10/12/95 PDT, you wrote: >> Flans has a lower, rougher voice that is employed in the singing of (She was >> a)Hotel Detective version one and Pencil Rain and Whistling In the Dark. >> Listen to those songs and compare the voices. To me, they're quite >> distinctive. > >Flans sometimes seems to be able to "do more with his voice". He also >sings Extra Saviour Faire, which isn't too bassy in my opinion. Flans also sings Alienation's For the Rich. That's low. - --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com, 75043.1201@compuserve.com "What are you people, ON DOPE?!?"--Mr. Hand Never leave home without your towel. 42!!! - --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 22:55:15 +0100 Subject: Re: [none] On Fri, 13 Oct 1995 (oooo-errrrrr - Cue Twilight Zone Theme), Adam wrote: >Intresting you say Esmerelda. come to think of it she does kinda remind me of >Samantha's mom on Bewitched. Ermmmm Adam. Sorry to be so "Stuart Goddard"ly correcting you here, but methinks Tabitha's grandma was actually called Endora. Esmerelda was Quasimodo's gf (but still a cool name!). Count my vote as Tabitha...... Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************* * "I've found out what it takes to be a man, * Mom & Dad will never understand." - Green Day * Coming soon to a Web browser near you: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: Jason Weiner Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 14:56:28 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Who sings what On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Erik Swedberg wrote: > to what I just wrote...). But you gotta admit linnell is just god. He's > the real leader of the band (they played Pencil Rain during their last > > You know, you're right. But you're about to be flamed REALLY bad by Flans fans. Jason (I'm an innocent bystander) ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 17:07:40 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Covers On Fri, 13 Oct 1995, i think, myke wrote: > > The latter. A Stump the Band list would take years, and I > think it's been compiled. These were all compiled on occasion-- > see the Early Years Faq for specifics. > > They also covered Walt Kelly's "Lines Upon A Tranquil Brow". > WALT KELLY! my dad used to read us his comic strip, "pogo"! wow! - -aims ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 17:35:41 -0500 (EST) Subject: Here's my vote. i would like to cast a vote for Persephone Jane. thank you very much. have a nice weekend. signed, aimee elisabeth pflieger p.s. i want you all to know that if you decide to call the JH girl by some silly name like G-------- (english pronunciation), i will have no choice but TO CALL THE JH GIRL PERSEPHONE JANE IN THE PRIVACY OF MY OWN DORM AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT! PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME LIVE A LIFE OF SADNESS AND CLOSED DOORS! (darn it.......where did i put that prozac?) ------------------------------ From: "Big Ed's Used Farms" Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 15:49:20 PDT Subject: Stuff Forwarded message: > > From: Erik Swedberg > Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:32:11 -0500 (CDT) > Subject: Re: Who Singeth what > > Both have great voices in my opinion, but Linnel's definitely > shines out in the end for versatility/creativity/range...listen to south > carolina (state song), the end of the tour, a self called nowhere, Mr. > Klaw, and hello radio....anyway his voice proves to be more outstanding > (though at times nasally and whiny)....wheras flans' voice (especially > live) is easily lost in the mix....when they both harmonize it seems > linnel usually takes the lower part, more of a groan/whine....yeah but > anyway, linnell's the tortured genius, with flans as his sidekick...just > look at (about the entire album of) john henry. i'll bet spacesuit was > all his too.... I doubt this since "Spacesuit" is supposed to be the first song the two actually wrote together. To say that Linnell is the "tortured genius" and Flans is a mere "sidekick" blows me away. That would mean that you only really like half of TMBG's music. Flans is responsible for some pretty quality stuff, and he definitely deserves alot of credit in giving TMBG the personality they have. Tell me that "Lie Still Little Bottle" and "Hearing Aid" and "She's Actual Size" (need I go on) are "sidekick" songs? And sighting John Henry as you do, brings up "AKA Driver" and "Meet James Ensore" two great songs from JH. Don't get me wrong, I love Linnell's stuff as well. But to single him out as the "heavy dude" sort of bugs me. And now, turning to sports... How many cups of coffee does it take you to be able to sing "Letterbox" perfectly everytime? You definitely need to be pretty amped to get it all out. My butt's getting sweaty just thinking about it. Pat "Clear off the kitchen table darling for on the kitchen table I must lie I'm tired for my wife just served the banquet of my life and I hope that I get old before I die" - TMBG ------------------------------ From: "Big Ed's Used Farms" Date: Fri, 13 Oct 95 15:55:46 PDT Subject: Speaking of Letterbox Speaking of the song "Letterbox" (which I've been doing alot of lately). Does anyone have the guitar chords to this song? I've got most of it, but I'd like to compare notes maybe. It's such a cool tune, and my little girl has been working on the vocals (watching a little six year old trying to sing all those words quickly is really amusing). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pat "Too freely on your lips words prematurely sad oh but I know what will make you smile tonight" - Morrissey ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 17:29:59 -0700 Subject: Re:'I'm New here, but let's change everything!' Some one whined: >(please forgive me as i'm a bear in the morning when i haven't had coffee) Save it for group. >please lets get beyone the yang-yanging and voting, it was funny at first That's what we're about, if you don't like it......... >but it's getting old really fast. i'm new and would like hearing about >all of you, maybe .... whatever.... The contest was my way of stopping all of the threads about the JH girls' name, it backfired, but that's okay, because allof this campaigning is FUN! Which is what TMBG is about. >forgive my venting! No! it is common courtesy and netiquette to read a usenet group or a mailing list for a while before posting, and if you don't like what you see, you should not have joined. THIS IS WHO WE ARE! - -Rabid Child (Very annoyed by all of the "I'm new here, but let's change everything" Posts 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 17:30:36 -0700 Subject: ***VOTE TODAY! the "Name That JH Girl!" Contest.(Take 2) long subject line. Send Votes To: mdukelan@wyoming.com with any subject, just start it with *** So here are the suggestions I have so far, Not edited at all, but I separated the ones I thought were a joke at the bottom. But you can still vote for those...VOTE TODAY!!! The list will be tallied and posted around HALLOWEEN!(Seeing's how she's so spooky and whatnot.) Zoe Madaline Chloe Alice Persephone Persephone Jane Pandora The John Henry Girl(how creative...8o( Hagas Elizabeth Trinni Eunice Astra Phoebe Genevieve (*Pronounced JEN-uh-veev) Genevieve (*Pronounced jean-vee-EHV) soph Stephanie Desdaemona Esmarelda Jane Jennifer Jerry Freak Girl Freakcicle lol Little Lizzie Borden} (Well seeing as she's carrying that pick-axe O.J. Simpdaughter} and looking so demonic and all.) Princess Angelna Contessia Lousia Fransicia Bonana Fana Fo Feska The Third (Tee hee). - -(Thanks to Adam for that one.) - -Rabid Child VOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTE VOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTE VOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTE! 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 20:35:29 -0600 Subject: Re:'I'm New here, but let's change everything!' >>forgive my venting! > >No! it is common courtesy and netiquette to read a usenet group or a >mailing list for a while before posting, and if you don't like what you >see, you should not have joined. THIS IS WHO WE ARE! It's also common courtesy to forgive someone who asks to be forgiven, if they are not causing a disturbance. Lay off the newbies, folx--they use up less bandwidth than you do. It had to be said. "Love people are there, the smell of love is everywhere." ********************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer \ JC(A+R) / Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu \_______/ Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: aj514@osfn.rhilinet.gov (Mary Moretti) Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 20:17:42 -0400 Subject: Re:'I'm New here, but let's change everything!' dear rabid one, get a life... as for reading a list for awhile before posting, well i've read alot of this list get out of your tree, ok! i'm not the only one who has commented on the repetitive postings :) look quit being so defensive and relax i was trying to make a comment on how i felt. besides i never thought of TMBG fans belonging to a "clique" mentality i was hoping for minds a little more original and i think from some of the things i've read i'm not wrong. bye, mary - -- p q q q ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 19:24:34 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: 'I'm New here, but let's change everything!' In the immortal words of Rabid Child: >>forgive my venting! > >No! it is common courtesy and netiquette to read a usenet group or a >mailing list for a while before posting, and if you don't like what you >see, you should not have joined. THIS IS WHO WE ARE! >-Rabid Child >(Very annoyed by all of the "I'm new here, but let's change everything" Posts The list has always (as long as I've been on it at least - that's over two years) allowed more freedom than most lists to discuss tangential topics, but I think lately people have been going overboard with the chitchat. I'm glad for the whole name the JH girl thread, because it's easy to identify and I can zap those messages quickly without having to read too far into them. Messages quoting entire previous messages merely to add "Me Too!" to the end bug me to no end, since they seem like they might contain something interesting but cruelly disapppoint in the end. I'd *hope* that the list would stay more or less on topic (I'd go so far as to say that stories of the coffee cups people have salvages from concerts would count as "on topic") but I know that's not going to happen. Just PLEASE think twice before replying to that wacky message (including this one.) Rant off for a few months, until the next batch o' newbies start recluttering the list ;) ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) ------------------------------ From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 02:16:48 +0100 Subject: An informal survey.... After seeing a very similar survey on another mailing list (I've added a question of my own), I thought it might be fun to do the same sorta thing here, so..... An informal survey for TMBG-ers: 1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? 2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? 3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? 4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? 5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) - -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Here are my answers.... 1. Yes - London (5 times) 2. The first one (whatever you wanna call it) :) Lincoln Don't Let's Start Miscellaneous T Flood Apollo 18 John Henry John Henry with the live in NYC 6-track freebie :) 3. Definitely Flood 4. No - infact I quite enjoy it. 5. Innie - Yee-Haa :) - -------------------------------------------------------------------------- I suppose I could collate the replies, and post the results in a few days/weeks.... Ummm - Okay - if you wanna reply to the list fine - if you wanna reply to me - also fine.... Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************** * "this record is for the freaks and the fuck ups. the lonely and awkward. * the last ones picked. never picked. the hopeless romantic dreamers. we * wouldn't fit in the box made for us. so much the better cuz it is a * coffin. don't be bullied. don't give up. stay free." -- Wynona Riders * Still coming soon: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #34 *****************************************