From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #35 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Sunday, 15 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 035 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Matt Powers Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 18:50:30 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: An informal survey.... 1. Yes. Bremerton and Seattle, WA, one in each city. 2. They Might Be Giants Lincoln Misc. T Instanbul (Not Constantinople) Flood I Palindrome I The Guitar Apollo 18 Why Does the Sun Shine? Back to Skull John Henry 3. Not applicable. 4. Arachi = plant? butyr = butter? phobia = irrational fear. Um...wait, isn't this from Peanuts? Like, fear of getting peanut butter stuck to the roof of you mouth? I'm guessing that, technically, this is fear of peanut butter, so, no, I do not have an irrational fear of peanut butter. An erotic attraction, sure, but not an irrational fear (joke). 5. I have an innie and some lint. Marvin of 41 ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 21:42:15 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: An informal survey.... > 1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? Too many to count. At least five. > 2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? All. > 3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? They Might Be Giants. (the demo tape) > 4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? Not often enough. > 5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) Penguin Cafe Orchestra. ------------------------------ From: aj514@osfn.rhilinet.gov (Mary Moretti) Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 11:18:27 -0400 Subject: Re:'I'm New here, but let's change everything!' i wasn't interested in changing anything, merely getting the ball rolling... i'll never know what you'll find when you/open up your letterbox tomorrow 'cause a little bird never tells me anything/i want to know, she's my best friend/she's a sparrow/and i'll never know what you never never/want to know when you know/what you are time waved it's hand/don't try to catch up/you're already too far gone/ by a margin of one/sliding down/that slippery road to nowhere - tav falco mary i just stand up and make a joyous sound, 'cause i don't let the little things get me down :) - YFF - -- p q q q ------------------------------ From: aj514@osfn.rhilinet.gov (Mary Moretti) Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 11:20:26 -0400 Subject: Re:'I'm New here, but let's change everything!' if we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy would it? - MPFC lol - -- p q q q ------------------------------ From: Mandy Cornick Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 10:33:21 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: An informal survey.... On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Joe Keith wrote: > 1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? Yes, in Madison Wisc. Only once, sigh, I MUST go again! > 2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? here is all the tmbg music I own in absolutely no order: They Might Be Giants Flood Apollo 18 Misc T John Henry Why Does The Sun Shine I Palindrome I Cabbage Town Lincoln > 3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? ack! How can I answer that. It REALLY depends on my mood, the time of day, the weather, how the planets are aligned, the price of tea in china, etc. > 4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? Never! > 5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) innie - -mandy check it out: http://www.d.umn.edu/~mcornick ------------------------------ From: Phoenix777@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 13:41:02 -0400 Subject: Re: Live in NY In a message dated 95-10-13 21:39:45 EDT, you write: >>This is a set? What else does it have besides the CD? I have a copy >>of the CD, and yes, It's worth it. Even with Donna Donna or whatever >>the hell her name is. It has the concert version of WDTSS, and Flans >>introduces the band, and he and Linnell say stuff throught the whole >>thing. It's very cool, and one of the highlights of my collection. > >OK. So now you've convinced me that I need this and I have 33 bucks. Where do >I get this CD(set)? Is my local record shop going to have it or is there a >web-company that sells it? Do I have to go out and buy a CD player (even if >its against my principles) or can I get it on tape? [More realistically -- >make a tape from it and sell the original] > >I need more information. Is it legitimate? If so, what record company makes >it? BTW, How long is it? I asked originally because if you go to http://www.cdnow.com and look Them up, Live in New York is listed as one of the imports that you can order. You'll be disgusted by the total lack of understanding employed in the reviews of Their work, but you'll have to admit that they do have just about everything but the EPs and they don't hardly charge for shipping. This is a sidebar to the above, I know, but the general lack of understanding the Media has for the Johns amazes me. I've never seen a TMBG CD review where the guy (or gal) doing the reviewing has shown the least iota of respect for Them. They all seem to brush them off as a junk band who writes an occasional "funny" song but the rest of it all is a bunch of unintelligible garbage. I was talking to a guy in the local record store about Them, and the subject of John Henry came up. The guy was talking about how the album sucked, about how he was dissappointed in the band because they put out an albumn that "wasn't funny." He said the songs were all long and boring and generally very joojooflop. I also know people who say they LOVE TMBG but when you ask to listen to some, they'll pop in "Istanbul," play it, and then eject the tape without even wanting to listen to anymore. They all should just zarf off, in my opinion. Adam "you want me to do WHAT?!?!" Luikart ------------------------------ From: christy Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 14:12:40 -0400 (EDT) Subject: [none] i know this may be drastic, but remember i am still under the constant watch of my parents, laugh as you may everyone. i was pleasantly reading my mail from the tmbg mailing list when everything started getting very mean and not too nice in my humble opinion. then my mother came in read a message and started screming at me. so i thought i would say something before she forces me to unsubscribe. i may pop up again later, but i have no idea at this point. i think none of us have any right to try to surmise what sexual preference either of the john's have. it doesn't matter and it shouldn't have even come up. there was too much speculation on it. i enjoy the john's music immenseely, have a small thing for linnell, but that's it. i don't want to know or care about their personal lives. their personal lives are their personal lives just like i wouldn't want anybody to talk about me behind my back. so because of all the gossip about their sexual prefernces, my mother is forcing me to get off the list. i will say the list was nice for a little bit with interp's of music and info about superfueled freaksicle. but recently it has not been something i enjoy finding in my mailbox. so think what you may about me and laugh if you want to, but i am unsubscribing. :), christy ------------------------------ From: Taloola@aol.com Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 14:13:24 -0400 Subject: Hello. Hi, lately I've been subscribed to the digest version of the TMBG mailing list. I hardly ever post something to the group, but I've read all the digests I recieved. At the same time as I'm sending this letter, I'm sending my unsubcribe request. Why? Here's why. Well, basically, the SAME stuff keeps getting repeated OVER and OVER and OVER again. I mean really. Like, some guy says, "I CAN'T STAND THIS UNRELATED TO TMBG STUFF" and about 5 people spam him/her. Also, then there's Mr. Blobby. I've never checked the web site or what he (it?) looks like but I'm already damned sick of it. Somebody keeps taking some count of votes on "Who's Mr. Blobby?" and "I am no longer a Blobby virgin," etc., etc. You HAVE to agree that this is so far from the topic it does get annoying. Though not as annoying, and certainly more sensible, are all of those "Me too" stuff. For example, "I like TMBG and Math" and then "I like TMBG and Calculus" and then, "Heck no, Floating point division is a lot harder than..." See how it gets sidetracked? I know those people that will flame me. They'll say, "Hey, this is TMBG, which can lead to other things, so shut up and let everyone say this and that.." I'm not proposing moderation. I'm just saying, DON't, please oh please DON't make the most uninteresting thread overlap into 10 digests and not even mentioning TMBG after the first one. Of course, the uninteresting part would be an opinion, but even though it's an opinion, no one's stupid enough not to get the idea. Try to have enough common sense not to drag a dead topic. Especially when quoting a LONG article and then saying ONE line really kills me. Just quote certain lines or something. Movies. Hey, I'm a big Star Wars fan among other things. But what does acting out The Princess Bride (Another great movie) while guzzling beer have to do with The Blue (Pink, whatever) ,Lincoln, Flood, JH or A18? (Or the EPs, concerts, whatever) What's Delicatessen? I frankly couldn't care less, and I'm sure neither could a lot of people. Or course, again that's my opinion and I'm not saying you can't talk about stuff, just try to keep it SOMEWHAT tmbg related. Please.... Hey, if you wanna flame moi, ya gotta do it directly now. Sorry. Just mail me, my address is in the header. - --Long Live the Johns. Yet, another example of an unrelated ? sig.... "My friend doesn't like you." -- "I'm sorry." -- "I don't like you either!" - -- (something I can't quite remember) -- "Me friend and I are wanted on 12 star systems! You'd better watch yourself!" -- "I'll be Okay." -- "YOU'll be DeAd!" - -- Another Conversation in the Cantina ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 17:32:44 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Accident > > > > I'm guessing you're talking about South Carolina, in which case all of the > > > vocals are done by Linnell. > > > > The coolest of the state songs, IMHO. > > > > Cathy > > well your on that. Which state songs have been made already? > > BTW how long does it take to mail something from Texas to Maryland? > Being in Baltimore, let me take a shot at it. My friend goes to New Mexico every summer and his 'rents have sent mail to him and it generally has taken 4-5 days. Now he is in the middle of nowhere and N. Mexico is a little farther west so I would say 3-4 days. Course I could be totally wrong. Maryland being a rather small state it is most likely that mail sent to any part will get there at the same time, but Texas being so huge it may differ. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 17:40:22 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: 25 o'clock > > Hi lo > how's everybody? I just heard the xtc song TMBG did for the tribute > album. (the radio station at my school got it so I played it on my show) It > was cool. Happy joy. I wonder why they picked that one. i know they > wanted to do this is pop but hey. Well just had to express my happiness. > thanks. TTFN > may the force be with you > paul (iamafish) In my opinion just about any XTC song would be great to cover as they are an excellent excellent band. 25 o'clock is off their Dukes of Stratosphere album is that right? My friend has all of their albums on CD so I may take a gander at that song again (as I can't remember how it goes). I would really have liked to heard something off of White Music, maybe Statue of Liberty or Science Friction would have been great!!!! I'll be getting a copy of that tribute album for sure. For those who dont know XTC try out the Skylarking album, it's pretty awesome from beginning to end (although somewhat more commercial). - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 17:47:28 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: [none] > > On Fri, 13 Oct 1995 (oooo-errrrrr - Cue Twilight Zone Theme), Adam wrote: > > >Intresting you say Esmerelda. come to think of it she does kinda remind me > of >Samantha's mom on Bewitched. > > Ermmmm Adam. Sorry to be so "Stuart Goddard"ly correcting you here, but > methinks Tabitha's grandma was actually called Endora. Esmerelda was > Quasimodo's gf (but still a cool name!). > > Count my vote as Tabitha...... Tabitha, she looks so much lik Tabitha! good call!!! Although it seems that Persophone will win due to overwhelming desire for it. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: BlueDog Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 15:51:06 -0700 Subject: Re: At 02:12 PM 10/14/95 -0400, you wrote: > i know this may be drastic, but remember i am still under the >constant watch of my parents, laugh as you may everyone. Go buy yourself a cheap computer. That's what I did when I got tired of people (my roommate) looking at my stuff. >i was >pleasantly reading my mail from the tmbg mailing list when everything >started getting very mean and not too nice in my humble opinion. then my >mother came in read a message and started screming at me. so i thought i >would say something before she forces me to unsubscribe. Good idea.i may pop up >again later, but i have no idea at this point. i think none of us have >any right to try to surmise what sexual preference either of the john's >have. it doesn't matter and it shouldn't have even come up. there was >too much speculation on it. i enjoy the john's music immenseely, have a >small thing for linnell, but that's it. So there is a little part of you wondering if he likes girls. >i don't want to know or care >about their personal lives. their personal lives are their personal >lives just like i wouldn't want anybody to talk about me behind my back. >so because of all the gossip about their sexual prefernces, my mother is >forcing me to get off the list. i will say the list was nice for a >little bit with interp's of music and info about superfueled freaksicle. >but recently it has not been something i enjoy finding in my mailbox. so >think what you may about me and laugh if you want to, but i am unsubscribing. Sorry to hear that. I hope you can come back. > > >:), christy > > - --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com, 75043.1201@compuserve.com "What are you people, ON DOPE?!?"--Mr. Hand Never leave home without your towel. 42!!! - --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ From: BlueDog Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 15:50:56 -0700 Subject: Re: An informal survey.... At 02:16 AM 10/14/95 +0100, you wrote: >After seeing a very similar survey on another mailing list (I've added a >question of my own), I thought it might be fun to do the same sorta thing >here, so..... > >An informal survey for TMBG-ers: > >1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NO!!!!!! >2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? Big Blue Dog Album, Lincoln, Misc. T, Flood, Apollo 18, John Henry. >3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? Misc. T >4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? Uh, I'm not sure what that is....but I don't have aibohphobia >5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) Innie, so that I can stick pocket fluff in it. - --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com, 75043.1201@compuserve.com "What are you people, ON DOPE?!?"--Mr. Hand Never leave home without your towel. 42!!! - --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 19:27:46 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Things have gotten out of hand. Well, it's time to do something about the list. I was hoping everything would work itself out, but it hasn't. I'm basing this on the fact that in the last 2 days 12 people have unsubscribed from the list, a fairly major downturn considering the way things were going. So, I find myself having to lay down some rules. This is the way it will work. People are going to start following the rules, or they will be removed from the list. If they choose to rejoin and still cause a problem then I will be forced to moderate the list. I assure you that you don't want me to moderate, I'm not very speedy about it. So, here are the rules. 1) Messages must have something to do with the band, or band related activites. This means a message solely about "Mr Blobby" does not qualify, at all. 2) 'Me too', or 'I agree' replies to the list will not be tolerated. Unless you have something to add to the discussion we don't need to know you agree. 3) Messages should contain more new text then quoted text. 4) Users should not send multiple messages in a row. Read all the list mail in your mailbox and send one reply about several topics. If you find this hard to do, you might want to subscribe to the digest. 5) USERS WHOS MAIL BOUNCE WILL BE UNSUBSCRIBED AUTOMATICALLY! I'm getting tired of getting mail back saying your mail box was full, or your host was down for a week, or whatever. Since I (obviously) can't mail you about it I just remove you from the list. Some things I feel the need to point out. There is no need to discuss any of these, they are the rules, period. Also, there is no need to point out when someone breaks them. I will make that judgement, and I will handle it myself. I'm really sorry that I have to step in like this, but if we are starting to turn people away then something is wrong. This list used to have over 500 people on it, with good discussions. I would like to build it back up to that level. Your friendly list admin, Leo Bicknell - -- bicknell@vt.edu, bicknell@ufp.org, bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: "Penny Morris" Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 22:34:54 -0400 Subject: Re: An informal survey.... 1. Yuppers, in Cincinnati, Ohio, it was the best concert I'd ever been to 2.All of the albums, none of the singles :( 3. John Henry's best 4. Maybe if I knew what it was..... 5. that would be innie ;) Penny ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 02:12:51 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: An informal survey.... > > After seeing a very similar survey on another mailing list (I've added a > question of my own), I thought it might be fun to do the same sorta thing > here, so..... > > An informal survey for TMBG-ers: > > 1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? > 2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? > 3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? > 4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? > 5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) Ok, Let's take a crack at this. 1) Yes, 7 or 8 times in Baltimore and DC 2) all the albums, but not quite all of the singles. 3) Apollo 18 4) Is this some kind of butt disease? hehe 5) innie's rule! (that's me) - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 02:40:41 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Things have gotten out of hand. Just a few suggestions/thoughts here... > So, here are the rules. > > 1) Messages must have something to do with the band, or > band related activites. This means a message solely about > "Mr Blobby" does not qualify, at all. > > 2) 'Me too', or 'I agree' replies to the list will not > be tolerated. Unless you have something to add to the discussion > we don't need to know you agree. I basically agree with these two rules completely. It's pretty easy to tell when a message is totally off track. The only thing I'd be worried about is when people will post almost solely about some other topic but will add a little bit about TMBG just to get by these rules, things like that. > > 3) Messages should contain more new text then quoted text. Very much agreed here too, I always delete people's sigs when responding. > > 4) Users should not send multiple messages in a row. > Read all the list mail in your mailbox and send one reply about > several topics. If you find this hard to do, you might want > to subscribe to the digest. A couple things here. Occassionally for some reason a mail message will be mailed twice without the knowledge of the sender. This has happened in the past so it might not be their fault. Also, about sending in multiple messages sending in at once, I find no problem with that. Often those not on the digest will get the individual list because they want to reply to individual messages. This is rather hard to do when you're on the digest because you can't really reply to one message. When you have 40-50 messages from the list it's impossible to read through all of them and reply at the end once. Generally, the most messages I will send at once will be 5-6 which is not too bad as long as it is TMBG RELEVANT stuff. Also people generally don't respond that many times at once, more like 1-2 times per message check (5-6 is on a really good day). I think relevancy is the key here. The only other thing you might want to worry about (and this might be hard to do) is sending warning messages to users who are sending irrelevant messages to the list. This might be a lot of work, though ;) I realize you have been doing a lot of work to get this list going, Leo and I am grateful. Thanks! - --Matt - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #35 *****************************************