From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #36 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Monday, 16 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 036 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 10:23:50 -0700 Subject: Vote Tally For the "Name That JH Girl" contest Send Votes To: mdukelan@wyoming.com with any subject, just start it with *** So here are the suggestions I have so far, Not edited at all, but I separated the ones I thought were a joke at the bottom. But you can still vote for those...VOTE TODAY!!! The list will be tallied and posted around HALLOWEEN!(Seeing's how she's so spooky and whatnot.) Zoe Madaline Chloe 1 Alice Persephone 2 Persephone Jane 1 Pandora 1 The John Henry Girl(how creative...8o( Hagas Elizabeth 1 Trinni Eunice Astra Phoebe Genevieve (*Pronounced JEN-uh-veev) Genevieve (*Pronounced jean-vee-EHV) soph Stephanie Desdaemona Esmarelda Jane Jennifer Jerry Freak Girl Freakcicle lol Little Lizzie Borden} (Well seeing as she's carrying that pick-axe O.J. Simpdaughter} and looking so demonic and all.) Princess Angelna Contessia Lousia Fransicia Bonana Fana Fo Feska The Third (Tee hee). - -(Thanks to Adam for that one.) - -Rabid Child VOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTE (One for tabitha, but she was not on the list, so I won't let that count.(because it just seemed like the sender was confused, not trying to 'write in') 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 12:24:32 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Vote Tally For the "Name That JH Girl" contest > So here are the suggestions I have so far, Not edited at all, but I > separated the ones I thought were a joke at the bottom. But you can still > vote for those...VOTE TODAY!!! The list will be tallied and posted around > HALLOWEEN!(Seeing's how she's so spooky and whatnot.) Perhaps voting on something like this would be better served by a nice little web page were you can click on a choice and see the results immediately. I don't mind seeing the request, or the results on the list, but I don't want to see everyone replying to the list with their vote. - -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:44:47 +0700 Subject: That's enough! ................................................................................ What's this?! Rules for what we can say, and how we can say it? I didn't know that Hitler was running this list! I must admit that I don't know the nuts and bolts about how this list gets put together, but whoever this Leo Bicknell person is, he's not very nice. I thought that Johnathan Chaffer was running things. I liked him! Johnathan is nice. He even sent me anagrams for everyone I know. But this Leo guy is a bit bossy. He says that he wants to boost the list back up to 500 or so. Well Leo, let me be the first to tell you that censorship is not the way to do it. I'm unsubscribing. Anyone on the list who knows me knows that I used to say that the TMBG Digest was a great little list. But, now I can't post because I have to be afraid that whatever I write will be changed by this Leo guy. If you don't like what's on this post, Leo, why don't you be the one to leave? I halfway think that no one will ever see this post, because it will be censored. I hope for the sake of the list that things change. Goodbye. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 18:11:00 -0600 Subject: Re: That's enough! > Rules for what we can say, and how we can say it? I didn't know >that Hitler was running this list! I must admit that I don't know the nuts >and bolts about how this list gets put together, but whoever this Leo >Bicknell person is, he's not very nice. I thought that Johnathan Chaffer ... >that the TMBG Digest was a great little list. But, now I can't post >because I have to be afraid that whatever I write will be changed by this >Leo guy. If you don't like what's on this post, Leo, why don't you be the WHOA NELLY! I think that Leo was misunderstood just a bit by you, Scott. He never said "I will change posts so that they are tmbg-related"--heck, he never even said "I will remove posts that are not tmbg-related." He simply told us to watch the unrelated posting, and that if we persisted in spamming others with nonsense, he would try to do something about it. I am personally of the opinion that tangent threads are valuable, but I think that lately, things have gotten out of hand. I've talked to Leo about a possible solution. He thinks it would complicate matters, and I tend to agree somewhat. But maybe, if many people are reacting like Scott is (and I'm not sure that many are) we could have *another* list set up? I thought maybe having tmbg-list and tmbg-spam set up separately would allow people to choose just the amount of Unrelated Things they want to hear. Will we have one moderated list? Will we clean up our acts on this list, making moderation unnecessary? Will we have two separate lists? Will this list revert to meaningless gibberish? Will the Caped Crusader come out of this alive? I think it's up to *you*. Please consider these matters thouroughly before dashing off a flame. ********************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer \ JC(A+R) / Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu \_______/ Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 17:09:03 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Dodson's whingeing > I didn't know that Hitler was running this list! OK, That's it. I'm absolutely sick of you type of people. Any time you feel that you're being oppressed for whatever pathetic little reason, you bring HIM into the argument. There's an unspoken rule of Net tact that whenever Hitler is mentioned, metaphorically or otherwise, then the thread is assumed DEAD, because people have lost the ability to convey ideas sensibly. Leo is trying to do some of us a FAVOR-- it's not fair that on a list DEDICATED TO THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, any old bullshit topic should be fit for discussing. He's asking you not to talk about IRRELEVANT things--- why -should- there be endless threads about Mr. Blobby? The John Henry girl-naming thread should be taken somewhere else because it is an endless forum for 'me-too' types of posts, which are absolutely useless. If you want to have a poll, open a Web site. If you want to get people's opinions on a certain subject that can be narrowed down to 'yes' and 'no', open a Web site. Hell, I'll give you the Web space personally. If you want to run THAT kind of a list, start one yourself. But you can deal with the oversaturation and complications that come from it. Look at the ELvis Costello list--- it keeps crashing! It's down for the third time! I personally appreciate Leo's attempts at moderating the list down to a manageable size, because even though there IS a Digest, none of it is worth reading! It's like debating "What should the Bar/None records logo really look like"? Who cares! > I'm unsubscribing. Good. Does that mean we won't have to listen to this self- righteous tripe any longer? ------------------------------ From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 19:52:54 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: An informal survey This is in response to Joe Keith's 5 survey questions: 1. One concert, Ann Arbor, Michigan, April 1994 2. They Might Be Giants Lincoln Flood Miscellaneous T Apollo 18 John Henry Why Does the Sun Shine? Back to Skull Istanbul Single 3. I really, really, really couldn't possibly pick a favorite. 4. I have no idea what Arachibutyrophobia is. 5. Innie. -Sean Kinlin seakin@umich.edu "If I could just reach those peanuts!" -George Washington Carver ------------------------------ From: Rhombus the Rhinoceros Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 20:03:57 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: An informal survey 1. Once, at Flynn Theater in Burlington, Vt, in Feb of 1995 2. TMBG, Lincoln, Misc T, Flood, Apollo 18, John Henry Back to Skull, Why Does the Sun Shine? 3. They Might Be Giants 4. Not nearly as much as many of my friends might say. (Really!) 5. Innie (although i wish i was a bit less common...) Ahhhhhh!!!!! Nathan (Linnel's Shadow) ------------------------------ From: colleen@netgate.net (Colleen Shannon) Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 18:45:27 -0700 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #35 >>1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? 1. Many! San Francisco - Union Square, Warfield, Hard Rock >>2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? >Legally - Pink Album, Flood, Apollo 18, John Henry Illegally- the rest of 'em > >>3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? > >Flood (with Lincoln a very close second) > >>4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? > >Spider - he is our hero! (as in huh?) > >>5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) > >Innie > ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 16:08:25 -0200 Subject: The Survey From Hell Hey Folks...from the More Than You Really Needed To Know About Me File... 1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? No, the last time they were in these parts of the world, I knew nothing about them. 2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? The Pink album, Apollo 18, Flood, John Henry 3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? Flood 4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? what the bloody hell is that?! 5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) Innie! TTFN. Your Official South Seas TMBG Ambassador Mike - ---- PS Leo Bicknell is God! (Don't boot me from the list!!!!) ___________________________________________________________________ Life is one crisis after another, each seperated by induvidual delusions ___________________________________________________________________ Michael Carr - email ------------------------------ From: acolanni@skidmore.edu (amanda colannino) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 0:48:24 EDT Subject: Re: The Survey From Hell 1. I have been to count basie theater in Red Bank, NJ and the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ 2. I own Flood, Apollo 18, John Henry, and the pink album 3. My favorite is Flood 4. I have no clue what that is! 5. I have an innie....;) - ------------------- End of network mail ------------------------------ From: "I hear you, and I will fight for the name PERSEPHONE." Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 00:02:27 -0500 Subject: Re: The Survey From Hell 1. The Majestic Theatre, Dallas, 1992, 1994 Deep Ellum Live, dallas, 1993 The Edge Christmas Concert, dallas, 1994 2. The Pink Album. Lincoln. Flood. Misc. T. Apollo 18. John Henry. Live In NY. Istanbul Single. I Palindrome I single. The Guitar Single. The Statue Got Me High Single. Why Does The Sun Shine?. Back To Skull. Hotel Detective. Don't Lets Start. They'll Need A Crane. (on cd) the demo tape. they'll need a crane. my own personal DAS tape. (on tape) O Tannenbaum. (on vinyl) Dr. Spocks Backup Band. (on the way) 3. ??????????????????? 4. ??????????????????? 5. I have an innie PAuL ------------------------------ From: Spivey Justin M Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 08:29:28 -0400 (EDT) Subject: survey >An informal survey for TMBG-ers: >1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? Yes. Central Park, NYC (1993); Richmond, VA (1995); Prospect Park, Brooklyn (1995). Might I add that the Brooklyn show was excellent because They were on home turf. >2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? TMBG, Lincoln, A18, JH. I'm ashamed to say I don't own Why Does the Sun Shine? >3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? Depends. Who's asking? >4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? Not really. >5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) Innie, although I prefer to call it concave. justin spivey (spivey@cooper.edu) ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 09:38:57 EDT Subject: Re: survey > >An informal survey for TMBG-ers: > > >1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? Yes, The Show They did at Merriweater in MD last spring and the show They did at UMBC the next day. > >2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? TMBG, Don't Let's Start Single, Linclon, They'll Need a Craine Single, Flood, Istanbul Single, Apollo 18, WDTSS, John Henry, Back to Skull, Best of 120 Minutes Vol. 1 [Has Ana NG on it, it isn't diffrent than the Linclon version, that my freind gave to me] > >3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? Linclon > >4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? What? > >5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) Innie ------------------------------ From: Fred Boak Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 9:50:54 EDT Subject: Re: An informal survey.... As Joe Keith has asked ... > > An informal survey for TMBG-ers: > > 1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? Yes, Boston, MA (at least 7 times), Cambridge, MA (once), & Providence, RI (once) ... first show, Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA ... Flood tour. > 2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? All of 'em (except for the non-US versions of Misc T) ... also have Live in NY & the promo tape. > 3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? Aw ... spit, do I have to have a favo(u)rite album ... probably LINCOLN, right now, but that could change from day-to-day. > 4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? Don't know ... probably don't care, even if I do! > 5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) Innie. - - Fred. ------------------------------ From: Inigo Saenz Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 16:16:39 +0100 (GMT+0100) Subject: new to list This is my first message to this list, so hello to you all from the Basque Country and excuse my spelling and grammar mistakes. These are the TMBG related items I have: TMBG, Lincoln, Flood, Misc T, Apollo 18, Why Does The Sun Shine, John Henry & Back to Skull and a video-tape with their TMBG-Linc-Flood videos. - - Does anybody know where I could get the rest of their stuff ( concerts, demos,...) ? - - What's this Mono Puff/State Songs thing ? Have they published anything ? - - Do Brave Combo have sth to do with TMBG ? I heard one of their songs and sounded a lot like TMBG. - - Have they recorded any song for compilations, tributes,... ( apart from XTC's ) ? - - Does anybody know when/if they are coming to Europe ? - - When does the new record come out ? I guess lots of these answers have been asked lots of times, but I subscribed last week and I'd be terribly happy to know. Does anyone read comics out there ? I know TMBG have 'appeared' in some comics. Does somebody want to help me ? I found: - - a parody of Particle Man ( a Peter David X-FACTOR issue ) - - a radio which had played Nightgown of the Sullen Moon ( is this song great or what ? -> a Sandman issue, one of the 'A Game of You' series ) - - a TMBG tape in one of Joe Matt's friends' car ( Joe Matt's Peepshow ) As I've told you before, I don't know if this has been done before but ... I was too embarassed to ask this, but I'd have had to someday : Linell plays the accordion and Flansburgh the guitar ( the one with glasses, not the guitar, the John ), am I right ? Well, I know most of you are either sleeping or working, but I've got a pair of hours before going to the university again. Come on you sacks of protoplasm ! Thanks a LOT. ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 10:44:38 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: new to list > - Does anybody know where I could get the rest of their stuff ( concerts, > demos,...) ? Ask around, like everybody else, I guess... > - What's this Mono Puff/State Songs thing ? Have they published anything ? They are two solo projects by the Johns, released thru Flansburgh's mailorder-only Hello Recording Club. > - Do Brave Combo have sth to do with TMBG ? I heard one of their songs > and sounded a lot like TMBG. Not directly. > - Have they recorded any song for compilations, tributes,... ( apart from > XTC's ) ? There have been a number of comp-only songs out, which are due to be collected on the SUPERFUELED FREAKSICLE compilation. No official release date has been set. > - Does anybody know when/if they are coming to Europe ? The 1994 tour is over. No new dates scheduled, check the Web site http://www.dnai.com/~obo/tmbg for future dates. > - When does the new record come out ? New material? Not for about two years, if according to normal schedule... > Linell plays the accordion and Flansburgh the guitar ( the one with > glasses, not the guitar, the John ), am I right ? Yep. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 12:07:31 EDT Subject: Re: new to list > > - When does the new record come out ? > > New material? Not for about two years, if according to normal > schedule... > So in theory thats next year? ------------------------------ From: Brad Tutterow Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 12:12:16 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: An informal survey.... Concerts - St. Louis (American Theatre), St. Louis (Riverport Amphitheatre), St. Louis (Mississippi Nights), Rolla (UM) Albums - They Might Be Giants, Lincoln, Flood, Apollo 18, John Henry, Miscellaneous T, Why Does the Sun Shine Favorite - John Henry YES, indeed. I have an innie.  ------------------------------ From: fruit bat Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:21:07 -0500 Subject: Re: new to list At 12:07 PM 10/16/95 EDT, you wrote: > >> > - When does the new record come out ? >> >> New material? Not for about two years, if according to normal >> schedule... >> > So in theory thats next year? > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS 1986 LINCOLN 1988 FLOOD 1990 MISCELLANEOUS T 1991 APOLLO 18 1992 JOHN HENRY 1994 ?????????????????? looks like 96 to me, which would put superfueled freaksicle in 1997, by pattern. ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 12:34:02 MDT Subject: TMBG Survey RE: TMBG SURVEY 1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? Yes. In Denver, June, 1994. 2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? They Might Be Giants Lincoln (on LP, not CD) Misc T Flood Apollo 18 John Henry 3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? Apollo 18, no TMBG, no Lincoln, no Flood, no .... 4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? I refuse to answer this question, as it is against my principles. (To comment on something I know nothing about.) 5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) Innie. But my brother has an outtie. =============================================================================== Russ Josephson RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "The one man lays down 10 percent, another one trembles and shakes, I save my money. I handle snakes" -- Tonio K =============================================================================== ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 14:33:06 EST Subject: Re: informal survey > An informal survey for TMBG-ers: I think another good question would be 6. How many (collective) miles have you travelled to see TMBG concerts that were not meant to be (cancelled, etc.)? What would that be Cathy, TOO MANY!!! Does anybody know the deal with why They didn't play at the Zephyrfest in New Orleans at the beginning of June? It really disturbed me, becuase I also showed up at the cancelled Athens GA concert. If anyone knows please help me!!! Jennifer Parker ############################################################ "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #36 *****************************************