From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #37 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Tuesday, 17 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 037 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 14:43:28 EDT Subject: The list What happened? Did everyone die? Usually by now my mail box would be swamped with mail from this list.... Anyway I finally got to hear Live in NYC over the weekend and I was supprised to hear what they did the Why Does The Sun Shine. I never knew that song could kick that much ass. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 14:45:57 EDT Subject: Re: informal survey > > An informal survey for TMBG-ers: > > I think another good question would be > 6. How many (collective) miles have you travelled to see TMBG > concerts that were not meant to be (cancelled, etc.)? > > What would that be Cathy, TOO MANY!!! > Does anybody know the deal with why They didn't play at the > Zephyrfest in New Orleans at the beginning of June? It really > disturbed me, becuase I also showed up at the cancelled Athens GA > concert. If anyone knows please help me!!! > > Jennifer Parker There was a thread about why this happened on the newsgroup. I'll leave it to someone that was really paying attention to tell it accuratly. It was something about Zephyr spreading rumours that TMBG broke up or something like that. Not quite to sure. ------------------------------ From: myke Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 14:36:08 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: new to list > ?????????????????? looks like 96 to me, which would put superfueled > freaksicle in 1997, by pattern. Freaksicle was supposed to be out this month. Who knows, at this point... ------------------------------ From: acolanni@skidmore.edu (amanda colannino) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 15:41:51 EDT Subject: cancelled shows I totally agree with you. I haven't actually traveled all that far, I had a different experience that is rather bittersweet. TMBG were schelduled to play a sold out show at Tradewinds, a club in Sea Bright, NJ and they reschelduled the show to a later date at another bar in Asbury Park, The Stone Pony and The Pony is easily half the size of Tradewinds so We were packed into the place worse than sardines in a can. I ended up right at the stage (it is about 3 feet high) and for the first couple songs it was absolute hell - the sound in there was such poor quality. Then, the mosh pit started and I got pushed forward and ended up smacking my head on one of the amps. The bassist (I'm not sure which one it was) saw what happened to me, put his hand out and sat me down right on the stage for whole rest of the show!! And at the end he handed me his pick...so what started out as a bad night ended up amazing!!! Amanda acolanni@skidmore.edu PS I have a question...A band called Skeleton Key opened up for TMBG at that show and were awesome. I have been looking for a cd of theirs and cannot seem to find one...Anybodsy heard of them and can tell me where to get one?? - ------------------- End of network mail ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 15:45:38 EDT Subject: Re: new to list > > ?????????????????? looks like 96 to me, which would put superfueled > > freaksicle in 1997, by pattern. > > Freaksicle was supposed to be out this month. Who knows, at this > point... > How hard could it be to make a b-side complination? its nothing new that needs to be recorded. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 15:59:21 EDT Subject: Re: cancelled shows > PS I have a question...A band called Skeleton Key opened up for TMBG > at that show and were awesome. I have been looking for a cd of theirs > and cannot seem to find one...Anybodsy heard of them and can tell me > where to get one?? I think they were a local NYC band. If they are your best bet probally would be to ask your local nyc radio station that plays local bands if they know anything about them. But I don't think they would have a cd out if they are a local band (cuz how many people do you know have the money to put out a cd by themselves). ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 16:00:58 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Wow. I'm amazed so many people stepped to my defense so quickly. :-) I really don't want to be a tyrant, I'd rather just let the list go. When I see tons of people unsubscribing and get letters about how awful the list is I just have to do something though. So, let's all move on. Tell your friends about the list. Let's try and make it as good a list as it can be. Soon we'll have a new album to talk about. There are good things to come. - -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Bob Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 15:57:00 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Covers Myke writes: >Songs They have covered, off the top of my head... >I know there are more, but i'm in a rush... >The Monkees "What Am I Doing Hanging Around?" >Ramones: "I Wanna Be Sedated" I'd love to hear these! Any chance of a mere mortal acquiring these songs anywhere? Bob - -- (C)1995 Robert Bird rbird@utk.edu http://cobweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird University of Tennessee, Knoxville Materials Science and Engineering My views are not those of the University of Tennessee ------------------------------ From: Phoenix777@aol.com Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 16:06:08 -0400 Subject: alt.my.god.will.you.SHUT.THE.HELL.UP Why doesn't everyone just SHUT UP about everything related to non-TMBG related posts. This petty bickering from people who can't and won't compromise sickens me. Scott: stop whining or shut the hell up Myke: stop whining or shut the hell up John Chaffer: thanks for being rational it seems to me like there's a minority of you out there who are pissed 'cause the list isn't exactly how you like it and you Control-Freaksicles are ruining this list for the more than one-hundred of us who subscribe and like it. How the hell hard is it to skip past the trash you don't want to see? No one is forcing you to read it! But no, you guys have to let everyone know that you're going to raise hell and freaking flame the continent until you get your own damn way. Grow up! Nobody but you guys cares! And if they do, at least they're not whining about it. So, those of you who are reading this, do you agree? Do you care? Let me know! Yeah, reply to me cause the "group" doesn't want that kind of voting garbage on here. If you like the list the way it has been, all whining aside, let me know. If you think there's major problems here, let me know. I'm just getting sick and tired of it all and I hope I'm right but I guess we'll see. Don't let these manaics bring the list down with their bickering. I don't think any true fan of Them should mind an occaional off-topic comment as long as it's sane and mildly interesting. And if it isn't, or they do mind, a true fan would know enough to JUST SKIP IT! If the Johns could see all this crap they'd dig some graves and start rolling in them. And now my rep's all soiled 'cause I went and got involved. Hate when that happens. Adam "get a life you bums" Luikart Phoenix777@aol.com ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 95 16:34:08 EDT Subject: Do you want some cheese to go with that whine? All this bitching and nagging about topics on this list has finally broken me down to ask. How does everyone want this list to be viewed? Do you want to view it as a group of friends sitting around talking about TMBG? If so would a group of freinds yell at you if you went off on a little (or sometimes big) tangent? Or do you want to view it as a strict thing where you get thrown off the list or flamed to death for saying something off of the topic of the list? I mean most of us aren't on the inside and know all this inside information so that we could have a list of whats currently happening in the public and private affairs of the johns. I don't think this list was made for that purpose. I know sometimes that there has been a couple of non TMBG realted topics (like Mr. B!, and "A mystry"). But I just skipped those threads and the ones I wasn't intrested in. How hard is it to do? I think almost every mailer allows you to see the title of the message before you read it. Personally I like the list the way it is. But if everyone is living in fear of writting something because someone with nothing else better to do (You know the ones that say "Oh your wasting space, some of use have to pay for our access", but don't think to realize all thier shyt thier writting and all the responces to it will waste more space and make the list look like a usenet group or a BBS ran by a 12 year old) saying something. I would rather have a list with a few subscribers having fun than a list with a lot of subsribers being surious 24/7. Serious is boring. If I wanted to be bored I would have taken more classes this year and listen to someone lecture me for 90 more minutes. I have had thoughts of unsubscribing, not because of the off topic posting, but because of the ingorant people that think they have to yell at everyone for writting something. "I should be allowed to think", you ever hear of it? So how do you want this list to be run? ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 15:46:23 -0500 (EST) Subject: The Day Okay, here is my problem. The day Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs got married, the trees all waved their giant arms, and happiness blared from every street corner and bi-planes bombed with......uh...... thats where i get stuck. Anyone out there wanna give me some aid? soph the cosmic love orb ------------------------------ From: aj514@osfn.rhilinet.gov (Mary Moretti) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 17:00:11 -0400 Subject: Re: Do you want some cheese to go with that whine? i might be new to the list, but i got on it 'cause i like TMBG alot, and i had checked out some newsgroups on the band that i found fun, and informative. i met some great people and i thought that i would get the list, i don't think that agreeing to some rules on how to post and getting along ruins the fun nor that discussing TMBG without rambling off on tangents would be boring. mary - -- p q q q ------------------------------ From: Bob Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 17:18:05 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: An informal survey.... Heck, why not... >> 1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? One, in Louisville, KY, in April '93. Got an $80 speeding ticket. >> 2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? Pink (you heard me!) Lincoln Flood Lincoln Misc. T Apollo 18 John Henry Istanbul single I Palindrome I single The Guitar single WDTSS Back To Skull >> 3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? Umm...Lincoln, today. >> 4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? A fear of the gastrointestinal problems of spiders? Dunno. >> 5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) Innie. Never seen an outie. Never plan to. Bob - -- (C)1995 Robert Bird rbird@utk.edu http://cobweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird University of Tennessee, Knoxville Materials Science and Engineering My views are not those of the University of Tennessee ------------------------------ From: Jason Weiner Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 14:45:00 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: The list On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Adam P. Fistler wrote: > What happened? Did everyone die? Usually by now my mail box would be swamped with mail from this list.... Anyway I finally got to hear Live in NYC over the weekend and I was supprised to hear what they did the Why Does The Sun Shine. I never knew that song could kick that much ass. They've been playing WDTSS that way for a while, at least for the JH tour dates I went to. Indeed it does kick. You should hear the different things Linnel says after "The sun is a giant atom-smashing machine, comprised of such elements as... Hydrogen, helium, thiamine, nutrasweet, oxygen, and hydrogen hydrogen, helium, ibn, assum, irtf, and hydrogen hydrogen, helium, hydrogen, hydrogen, hydrogen, and hydrogen Those are the ones I remember. I'm sure there's many more. The best thing at the Dallas Majestic show in Nov. was when They pulled out a glockenspiel (the drummer played it center stage and They fully announced it of course) and everyone assumed that They were going to play WDTSS. Instead it was "Shoehorn with Teeth"! It only got used for one note every two choruses, but everyone in the place was shouting "Glock-en-spiel! Glock-en-spiel!" at the top of their lungs. It was tres cool. Jason ------------------------------ From: fruit bat Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 17:15:39 -0500 Subject: Re: The list but everyone in the place was shouting "Glock-en-spiel! >Glock-en-spiel!" at the top of their lungs. It was tres cool. "its good to see a crowd that has respect for a fine instrument." John Flansburgh ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 20:24:56 -0600 Subject: Re: The Day >The day Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs got married, the trees all waved their >giant arms, and happiness blared from every street corner and bi-planes >bombed with......uh...... thats where i get stuck. Fluffy pillows. Yeah, I had that problem, too, until I bought Pink on CD and had the liner notes to look at. The lyrics *are* in there. Oh, and it's happiness *bled*. ********************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer \ JC(A+R) / Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu \_______/ Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 20:25:01 -0600 Subject: Re: Do you want some cheese to go with that whine? Anyone else get senseless garbage when viewing Adam P. Fistler's messages? A sample follows. =E2=EF=E1@=A2=F1=EE=D6=A3=E0=E2=EF=E1@=F1=DC=DC@=F1=DC@=A3=E0=D6@=A3=F1=F3= =E2=C9@=F1=DC@=A3=E0=D6@=EC=E2=A2=A3o@@=8A@=EE=D6=C5=EF@=EE=F1=A2=A3@=F1=DC@= =A7=A2@=C5=F4=D6=EF}=A3@=F1=EF@=A3=E0=D6 @=E2=EF=A2=E2=D1=D6@=C5=EF=D1@=ED=EF=F1=B6@=C5=EC=EC@=A3=E0=E2=A2@=E2=EF=A2= =E2=D1=D6@=E2=EF=DC=F1=F4=EE=C5=A3=E2=F1=EF@=A2=F1@=A3=E0=C5=A3@=B6=D6@=C9= =F1=A7=EC=D1@=E0=C5*=D6@=C5@=EC=E2=A2=A3@=F1=DC @=B6=E0=C5=A3=A2@=C9=A7=F4=F4=D6=EF=A3=EC=AE@=E0=C5=F3=F3=D6=EF=E2=EF=E1@=E2= =EF@=A3=E0=D6@=F3=A7=C7=EC=E2=C9@=C5=EF=D1@=F3=F4=E2*=C5=A3=D6@=C5=DC=DC=C5= =E2=F4=A2@=F1=DC@=A3=E0=D6@=EB=F1=E0=EF=A2K@@ =8A@=D1=F1=EF}=A3@=A3=E0=E2=EF Ne1 know what's up with that? ********************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer \ JC(A+R) / Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu \_______/ Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 20:53:13 -0700 Subject: Vote Tally For the "Name That JH Girl" contest Send Votes To: mdukelan@wyoming.com with any subject, just start it with *** So here are the suggestions I have so far, Not edited at all, but I separated the ones I thought were a joke at the bottom. But you can still vote for those...VOTE TODAY!!! The list will be tallied and posted around HALLOWEEN!(Seeing's how she's so spooky and whatnot.) Zoe Madaline Chloe 1 Alice Persephone 3 Persephone Jane 2 Pandora 1 The John Henry Girl(how creative...8o( Hagas Elizabeth 1 Trinni Eunice Astra Phoebe Genevieve (*Pronounced JEN-uh-veev) Genevieve (*Pronounced jean-vee-EHV) soph Stephanie Desdaemona Esmarelda Jane Jennifer Schmega Louise Douchenbaum 1\2 Jerry Freak Girl Freakcicle lol Little Lizzie Borden} (Well seeing as she's carrying that pick-axe O.J. Simpdaughter} and looking so demonic and all.) Princess Angelna Contessia Lousia Fransicia Bonana Fana Fo Feska The Third (Tee hee). - -(Thanks to Adam for that one.) - -Rabid Child VOTEVOTEVOTEVOTEVOTE (One for tabitha, but she was not on the list, so I won't let that count.(because it just seemed like the sender was confused, not trying to 'write in') 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 17:46:02 +0700 Subject: SEN-SURROUND Hi everyone. Petery from Sydney here. I just saw the Mighty Morphin film, which was shot in Sydney by the way, and was amazed to hear TMBG's new song for less than 10sec in the movie. What a ripoff! It was a good thing that the cinema only charged me for a child's ticket (I am 20). A masterpiece such as Sen-surround deserves to be played in its entirity. I'm going to follow the Super Samuri instead. Bye. ------------------------------ From: Inigo Saenz Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 10:49:28 +0100 (GMT+0100) Subject: THANKS & SURVEY First of all I'd like to thank you all and specially myke, sara and jason for taking some time in reading and answering my questions. Jason sent me some great lines about Brave Combo and I think it'd be cool to post them to the list, anyone opposes ? About Mono Puff/State Songs: Is it a record, two ? Are they as cool as Them ? I'll probably get them anyway but I'd like to hear some opinions on MP/SS. SURVEY: 1.- Concerts Obviously none ( do you know if they've been even near the Basque Country or Spain ? I think not. At least since 1990 ). But then again, how many of you have been to a Negu Gorriak or Mano Negra concert? I thought so ... :-) 2.- Albums LPs : TMBG, Lincoln & Flood CDs : Misc T, Apollo 18, Why does the Sun shine ?, John Henry & Back to Skull 3.- Favourite Probably John Henry ( although Misc T is the last one I got and I've listening to it quite a lot lately ) 4.- Arachibutyrophobia Oh no, as a matter of fact I love killing spiders by sitting on them 5.- Innie / Outie You'd love to know it, huh ? You all really would, wouldn't you ? So, that's it. If anybody has any news on Freaksicle, please tell me. It's pretty hard to get TMBG's records here. SNIFF ------------------------------ From: James David Howat Date: Tue, 17 Oct 95 15:42:43 BST Subject: TMBG survey > 1. Have you been to a TMBG concert? If so, where? No. Never. *sob* Living in the cultural backwater that is Scotland(*), They never come round near us. Or at least, the only times They've come anywhere near, I only find out when it's too late. Damn. Still, I can console myself with the taped live gig they did for Radio One last year..... (*) I'm kidding, Scotland is cultural capital of the universe. But if someone could let Them know, I would be eternally grateful. > 2. Which TMBG (officially sanctioned) albums do you own right now? They Might Be Giants (that's the name They gave it, okay? And I'm sticking to it!), Lincoln, Flood, Apollo 18, Back to Skull, John Henry. It seems like I've spent half my life looking for Misc T., or WDTSS. No luck. > 3. Which is your favourite ALBUM? Depends. Usually whichever one I'm listening to at the time. Probably Flood, for nostalgia reasons. (It's the one I got started on.) > 4. Do you suffer from Arachibutyrophobia (_NOT_ arachniphobia)? That information is between me and my doctor..... > 5. Do you have an innie or outtie belly button? :-) OUTIE! OUTIE! OUTIEOUTIEOUTIE!!!!! Does this make me the first 'outie' on the list? Deep and heart-felt apologies to anyone who regards these posts as 'irrevelant'. But I just had to share my 'outie' tendancies..... - --------------======== http://a54.cc.umist.ac.uk/~bigjim ========------------- ____ __ _______ _______ __ _ _ / __ |\ / /\/ _____/\ /___ _// /\/ | / |\ / /_/ /\ / / / /\____\/ \__/ /\/ / / |/ | | "Part lies, / ___ |\// / / / / /\ / / / / / | | part heart, / /__/ /\/ / / /__/ / / ____/ / / / / /| /| | | part truth, /______/ /_/ /______/ / /_____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ |_| | and part garbage." \______\/\_\/\______\/ \_____\/\_\/\_\/\_\/ \_\| - Peter Buck "There'sOnlyOneThingThatIKnowHowToDoWell/AndI'veOftenBeenToldThatYouOnlyCanDo WhatYouKnowHowToDoWell/AndThat'sBeYou/BeWhatYou'reLike/BeLikeYourself/AndSoI'm HavingAWonderfulTime/ButI'dRatherBeWhistlingInTheDark." - They Might Be Giants - ---------------------======== ceejdh@pp.hw.ac.uk ========--------------------- ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #37 *****************************************