From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #38 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Tuesday, 17 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 038 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Date: 17 Oct 95 12:23:29 EDT Subject: survey ok, at the risk of being yelled, here goes: 1)two- gainesville,fl for cut-up-snake and jacksonville, fl for jh. they dont come to florida (or the south in general) much it seems, but now im up north so i can see them a billion times when they tour again (yay :). 2)tapes (i like tapes although ive played them so much theyre starting to really sound bad): the pink album, lincoln, flood, misc. t, apollo 18 cds: jh, wdtss, back to skull 3) tough call - usually misc t although it took me a long time to truly appreciate it. (it slowly grows on you day by day...its subversive that way.) 4) im not sure, but probably yes. 5) innie thank god...those other ones freak me out although they strangely fascinate me. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 12:38:07 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: new to list > > > > > ?????????????????? looks like 96 to me, which would put superfueled > > > freaksicle in 1997, by pattern. > > > > Freaksicle was supposed to be out this month. Who knows, at this > > point... > > > > How hard could it be to make a b-side complination? its nothing new that needs to be recorded. > Actually, I hear that these things do take up quite a bit of time. It could involve remixing, picking the right tracks, re-recording stuff, etc. Same goes for live albums. The right concerts and songs have to be picked, etc. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Spivey Justin M Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 12:25:51 -0400 (EDT) Subject: My duty as an American and a They Might Be Giants fan my vote for the JH girl's name is Phoebe justin spivey ------------------------------ From: GoldLeder@aol.com Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 15:18:38 -0400 Subject: Now it's time for my survey First off, I kind oflike these survey things 'cause they let you get to know the other members better. Second, enough B.S. here's my survey... 1) TMBG concerts attended: 4 1: Apollo 18 tour about three or four years ago at the Ventura Concert Theater SRO 2: Free concert they were headlining at UCSB - all day thing great moshing and pit (can you believe it at a TMBG concert?!) I actually crowdsurfed during Birdhouse 3: The following day at McCabe's guitar shop in Santa Monica. A room with a fiftey person maximum (the stage was only about ten feet deep) I was right in front and honestly could reach up and strum Flans's guitar (ask me about it later I'll go into more detail. This show wasn't that great because they were tired and wanted to go home being the last stop on their tour) 4: Their most recent JH tour at the Pantages theatre in Hollywood. By far the most into it I've seen these guys. They had so much energy. 2) Which albums: TMBG Original (pink album is what most of you call it), Lincoln, Flood, Misc. T, Apollo 18, JH ---- Singles: I pal I, Guitar, WDTSS, They'll need a Crane, Don't Let's Start, Back to Skull and I think that's about it. 3) Favorite album -- It's so hard to say because Their music changed so much from The Orig. to JH -- the are so different I don't know. 4) Do I have Arachibtyrophobia Uh, uh, well... That's none of your business.... I guess 5) Innie or Outie? I have an innie that's striving to become an outie So ther you have it!!! My survey, (like any of you really care) Thank you and goodnight Chris "I'm really not that insane" Miko ------------------------------ From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 03:45:55 +0700 Subject: Apology ................................................................................ Dear list, and more specifically, Leo Bicknell, I am writing you to apologize for calling you Hitler. I shouldn't have said that. I will not try to validate what I said because it was a mistake. I wish that I could chalk it up to something I did just because I was having a bad day, but I can't. I hardly ever write to the digest anymore, but I did enjoy a few of the tangents that went off topic. When I read your message about rules for the list, I think I misinterpreted your tone. I had the impression that you were really mad at the people who had posted stuff that wasn't very TMBG related. I thought you were slamming peoples' rights to talk about what's on their minds. I thought about how those people were probably feeling about the fact that someone was saying that their ideas weren't worth hearing. But, and this is from the bottom of my heart, I should not have written a note like the one that I wrote. Ever since the moment when I sent my mean message, I've been wishing that I hadn't. I even rethought the way that I had stated things, and asked a friend of mine if there was any way that I could retrieve the message. Anyway, I've caused a lot of people a lot of grief and I am sorry. I usually pride myself on the fact that I'm able to keep my cool. I think that maybe it's easier to yell at someone on the internet because you don't have to deal with the consequences. You can unsubscribe from whatever list you've upset, or you can bounce messages that you know have been written by people that don't agree with you. You can "turn off" the emotional side of things. But that's a lie. In the past two days I have felt horrible for saying what I did. At the end of my letter I said that I was going to unsubscribe, but I didn't. I knew that I didn't want to unsubscribe, but I didn't think before I wrote. I sent a message that hurt you. I'm sorry. Today I read the digests and saw what I have done. I hope that you don't all think I'm a tyrant. And I don't want anyone to think that Leo is a tyrant. I don't. Johnathan Chaffer wrote me a much needed note to tell me to simmer down. I deserved it. I'm really not sure what else I can say. I hope that the list doesn't suffer anymore by what I have said. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 17:17:38 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Yellow... Hi all. Just a note that I found on the Unofficial TMBG Web Site: Superfuled Freaksicle has been postponed indefinately by the powers that be. Sucks... 'nuff said. BUT! it came from the UNofficial site, so... And I vote for Angie as the freaky girl's name. It's the name of an equally freaky girl that I used to know. lebo. ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 16:05:56 -0700 Subject: 25 O'clock I just picked up my copy of the Testimonial Dinner, and I must say that I love it, between the fairly well mimicked tracks, such as 25 o'clock, briliantly performed by They Might Be Giants, and the man who sailed around his soul, performed perfectly by Rueben Blades; to the mildly interpreted such as Sara McLachlan's excuisite Dear God and Freedy Johnston's interesting performance of Earn Enough for us; to the wildly interpreted Wake Up by an odd band I've never heard of, The Verve Pipe (but I think I'll go check to see if they have a CD out right now.) Also worthy of mention is the extensive Art, all of it in the spirit of XTC, especially the CD's art, which is very reminiscent of Nunsuch's...In any case, I highly recommend this CD to all interested in XTC or those interested in any of the Artists performing, as they are all rich and vivid. - -Rabid Child 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: aj514@osfn.rhilinet.gov (Mary Moretti) Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 18:19:17 -0400 Subject: Re: Yellow... by the powers that be, do you mean the record co.? if so, has anyone thought of organizing a letter writing campaign or expressing our interest in the albums release? i have found that alot of groups that i like (non mainstream) are getting the shaft by the industry, and i feel like doing something to address this! any suggestions? M - -- p q q q ------------------------------ From: "Jason Dusich" Date: Tue, 17 Oct 95 15:36:55 PST Subject: Survey 1. Concerts- 5, all here in San Francisco (two for free, do they count?) 2. Albums- Yes, I have them. 3. Favorite- Lincoln, my first one, bought because of Ana Ng on 120 Minutes. 4. Arachibutyrophobia- We have nothing to fear but fear itself. 5. Innie/outie- Definitely innie, you can't pierce an outie, can you? 6. Unrelated things- I never have time to read all the mail this list generates, so I don't, and I don't bitch about it either. I've voted for Persephone out of respect for that poor person hearing the voices. I tried to advance the idea that Pete & Pete have a lot in common with John & John, but I was quickly dismissed as "loony." Now I only wish I had a cool theme song like the "RabidChild" one. Thanks, Jay ------------------------------ From: relph@mando.engr.sgi.com (John Relph) Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 16:15:47 -0700 Subject: Re: Mono Puff/State Songs Inigo Saenz asks: > >About Mono Puff/State Songs: >Is it a record, two ? Are they as cool as Them ? These are two CD singles from the Hello Recording Club. Here's the info: John Linnell: State Songs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ep 1994 Jun Brian Doherty (drums) John Linnell (everything else) CD-5: 94.06 US Hello HEL-46 3'45 South Carolina 1'47 Oregon 1'02 Pennsylvania 2'03 Maine 8'28 Nevada John Flansburgh's Mono Puff . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ep 1995 Mar John Flansburgh with Jim O'Connor (trumpet on [2]) Ralf Conant (drum programming on [2]) Mark Donato, Robin Goldwasser, Nancy Lynn Howell, Jay Sherman Godfrey (vocals on [1]) CD-5: 95.03 US Hello HEL-53 Tryptophan Dr. Kildare Unsupervised, I Hit My Head So Long Mockingbird [1] What Bothers the Spaceman? [2] 0'35 Nixon's the One My opinion is that the _State Songs_ single is pretty good. I don't like it as much as some other Hello Recording Club singles, but I do like it. However, I don't care much for _Mono Puff_, except for "Nixon's the One", which is awesome. -- John - -- Deliver the nursery and curse the teachers. Speed nourishes a criminal in this age. ------------------------------ From: THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 18:17:24 -0500 (EST) Subject: and the survey says..... UNO>>Yes, I saw the great ones at Irving Plaza in NYC during the JH (Persephone)Tour. I am proud to be from the city that spawned Them (however, I am not fromBrooklyn, but the Bronx. Our pizza is better!!) The show gave new meaning to) the term "They Might Be Giants concert" and showed how energetic NYers are. We moshed to Why Does the Sun Shine!!! DOS>>I have Lincoln, Flood, Apollo 13, and JH on disc and dubbings of TMBG, Istanbul and Back to Skull. TRES>>TMBG is my favourite with ol' faithful Flood a close second. CUATRO>>I fear nothing except big words that confuse me! CINCO>>Innie!! SEIS>>I suppose there is no question 6, huh? Oh well, I can easily get out of this bind....BYEEE! Thomas "Begin the Begin" Bona ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@galadriel.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 12:53:58 +0200 Subject: Youth Culture killed my JH Girl And happiness bleeds from every street corner...as I announce my choice for what the JH girl is called. I always thought it would be a short sharp name like say 'Kate' but truth be known I like Soph and I like Soph's choice, and so the JH girl in my opinion is calle 'Persephone'.... Now will someone please tell me what arachnohfhskhfisdkjhdfhksfhshjkhdfsfwotsitphobia is?! ___________________________________________________________________ Life is one crisis after another, each seperated by induvidual delusions ___________________________________________________________________ Michael Carr - email ___________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: fruit bat Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 19:10:26 -0500 Subject: [none] some of you have made the right choice and voted, but not all of you. You're sitting there browsing through the digest, reading messages with high tmbg content, thinking, "huh, i wonder what name all those people are going to choose for the JH girl." Don't let this be you. You must speak your mind, and tell everyone that you too realize her name is Persephone. do it, and maybe you'll get to see her smile too. paul ------------------------------ From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 95 20:14:13 EDT Subject: Forwarded Mail ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ - ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- >What happened? Did everyone die? Usually by now my mail box would be swa mped with mail from this list.... hear Live in NYC over the weekend and I was supprised to hear what they did the Why Does The Sun Shine. I never knew that song could kick that much ass. well, some of us are scared post for fear we get flamed to death because its not relevant enough. (sorry, i am bitter) tmb-related info: our local wherehouse records erased superfueled freaksicle from the list of upcoming album releases and claims not to know anything more. :( peace, anne ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 21:00:51 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Apology I never cease to be amazed with people on the Net. It's rare to see an apology from anyone for anything. It takes a big person to do that. Thank you. I didn't mean to scare anyone. Please, if you have something to say about the Giants, say it. That's what the list is here for. I just think that things had gotten out of hand, and that people needed a little reminding about why we were all here. I have changed the list setup so that replies to list messages will be sent to the owner. I've been informed this is actually how it worked before. I think this will cut out a lot of the 'me too' sort of responces going to the list. Again, please, don't be scared of me. I'm not out to get you. I really don't care what is talked about on the list as long as I don't get complaints about it. If everyone wants to talk about space monkies that's fine with me. Just please try to consider there are several hundred people who have to read this who's only known common interest is They Might Be Giants. - -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 20:55:32 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #35 Doh!! Forgot favorite album... Oh well, um... I like them all pretty much equally, depending on my mood, so I guess my favorite album would be something like Theymightbegiantslincolnfloodapollo18johnhenry. Destin again ------------------------------ From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 20:53:09 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #35 Well, I don't know how old this string is, but here's my answers: 1. NONE. Isn't that sad? I made two pilgrimages to see them (both with Jennifer and Cathy, who post a lot) in Athens, GA and New Orleans, and they canceled them BOTH. :( 2. (This will take a while) TMBG Don't Let's Start CD3 Lincoln They'll Need a Crane CD3 Flood Istanbul Statue promo CD Apollo 18 I Pal I Guitar Back to Skull John Henry Snail Shell promo CD AKA Driver promo CD Why Does the Sun Shine (oops, out of order) (whew) 3. Ummmm... forgot the question. 4. Innie. Not that it's anyone business..... Destin ------------------------------ From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 20:44:11 -0700 Subject: Re: Youth Culture killed my JH Girl >I always thought it would be a short sharp name >like say 'Kate' but truth be known I like Soph and I like Soph's choice, >and so the JH girl in my opinion is calle 'Persephone'.... Too all of the critics out there, here is proof that campaigning DOES work!!! >Now will someone please tell me what >arachnohfhskhfisdkjhdfhksfhshjkhdfsfwotsitphobia is?! Fear of a spider crawling across your keyboard's Caps Lock to Return line in a frenzied panic? - -Rabid Child (I have to include some garbled TMBG stuff so that my message fits the new requirements...mebbe I should just go for a four page long .sig? TMBGTMBGTMGBTMBG) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o)"No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child!!!"8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) 8o) ------------------------------ From: Donel Young Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 23:35:32 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Joshua Fried shows in NYC I believe this is of relevance as Joshua Fried is known to They Might Be Giants fans as producer of "The World's Address (Joshua Fried re-mix)" and "Larger Than Life (Joshua Fried's remake of She's Actual Size, " as well as being one half of Hello The Band. Donel Young FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Donel Young 908/295-2406 The Club at La MaMa E.T.C. Presents Composer Joshua Fried's New Experimental Vocal Work and Noted Work "Travelogue" The New York Times dubbed Fried's Travelogue a tour de force and Village Voice critic Kyle Gann called it "Brilliant...a Hitchcockian, mind-blowing theater piece." NEW YORK -- The Club at La MaMa E.T.C. presents Joshua Fried's new concert work, Voice Crossing: Experiments for Six Performers. Fried, "a composer of wild electronic imagination and stirring showmanship," (Village Voice) builds on the style of his acclaimed solo experimental music/performance piece Travelogue, using six singers/actors who respond to high-intensity vocal material played over headphones, with electronic accompaniment by Fried. The work is funded, in part, by a National Endowment for the Arts Composer's Fellowship and by a New York Foundation for the Arts Artist's Fellowship in Performance Art and Emergent Forms. When: Friday, October 20th, and Saturday, October 21st 10:00 p.m. Where: La MaMa E.T.C., The Club 74 A East 4th Street Tickets: $12.00, call 212/475-7710 Friday performers: Mary Christopher, Paula Cole, Gretchen Krich, Randolph Curtis Rand, Lawrence Rawlins, Susan Thompson Saturday performers: Karen Ginsburg, Robin Goldwasser, Gene Gutierrez, Aaron Landsman, Marlene Tholl, James Urbaniak The vocal technique Fried uses in both works relies on the element of surprise, therefore each performance requires a new cast. In Voice Crossing, only the singers can hear the vocal material in the headphones, each hearing something different from the others. They have never heard these sounds before, and yet they are asked to imitate exactly what they hear -- with every word and expression intact, and with absolutely no lag time. Fried says, "this last requirement makes the task quite impossible and the result produces a bizarre unknown language." Fried uses canonical writing, polyrhythms and phasing in the spirit of Conlon Nancarrow and Steve Reich to structure the highly dramatic headphone material. The electronic accompaniment, which the audience can hear but the performers can't, utilizes the above techniques in addition to dance rhythm and found sound. This work continues Fried's exploration, which he began with the solo piece Travelogue, of communication, individuality and control. It also deals with the inexorability of time. The performers are constantly on edge and the imperative to "don't look back" provides a degree of tension. Occasionally an isolated intelligible word or phrase emerges. Expanding this technique from one performer to six, Fried notes, "creates an automatic Tower of Babel effect, which I comment on in the score. And of course, there's the sheer joy of polyphony!" Fried's Travelogue has been performed at New York's Bang on a Can Festival with Dora Ohrenstein (Philip Glass Ensemble), ISCM's World Music Days Warsaw 1992 with Shelley Hirsch, New York's La MaMa Theater with Dina Emerson (Meredith Monk), The Fourth International Symposium of Electronic Art, and elsewhere. Fried's next major work will be a collaboration with noted choreographer Douglas Dunn in Spring of 1996. Next summer, Fried will be a resident artist at the Rockefeller Foundation's Bellagio Center, on Lake Como, Italy. Fried is also known for his invention The Musical Shoe Tree. It consists of four ordinary shoes mounted upside-down on stands and plugged into electronics, which are activated by striking the shoes. Fried's recording Jimmy Because, with guest guitarist Fred Frith, was released by Atlantic Records. Fried is also credited as re-mix producer on dance records by The Might Be Giants, Chaka Khan, and Ofra Haza. # # # ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #38 *****************************************