From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #40 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Friday, 20 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 040 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: johniac@austin.ibm.com Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 10:52:02 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Hmmmmm.. MR JAMES A DRESKO writes: > have any of you cool guys out their seen that new cartoon on tv where > they basically turned space ghost into a talk show.. kind of odd.. > but anyway, the opening theme is part of a They song.. My kids were watching Cartoon Network last night, and I walked in just in time to see some ending credits that said "Theme music by They Might Be Giants (cool guys)", or something like that. Is this what you're talking about? - -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "Diplomacy is a way of saying 'nice doggy' until you can get a rock". ------------------------------ From: Lokshin Michael S Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 12:23:36 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Hello Again I really wish I could be cool and incorporate part of the message to which I am responding into this meassage, yet I am still very much an E-mail/Internet novice, so I don't know how...sadness... Anyway, the Hello CD club (I'm not sure if "cd of the month club" is the actual name") is a cool service which the Giants provide to promote bands which they like (therefore indicating all the bands must be cool). You order a whole set of CD's, which costs about $60.00 or so. As mentioned, the CD's include Johns' solo projects, and other bands such as the Coctails, esoteric Frank Black stuff, etc. They have done this for about three years, so you can purchase complete 95',94', or 93' sets (did I put the apostrophe in the right place?). You can get an order form in the TMBG newsletter. Unfortunatly, I do not have it with me, otherwise I would most certainly post the adress (I'll do this sometime tomorrow if nobody beats me to it). Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, my deprived bank account forbids me from ordering a whole set, so if anyone who has heard of HELLO can help me find individual stuff... "Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads" ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Thu, 19 Oct 95 14:01:24 EDT Subject: Re: Hello > From tmbg-list-owner@ufp.org Thu Oct 19 11:39:49 1995 > Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 10:30:55 -0500 (CDT) > From: Brad Tutterow > To: Lokshin Michael S > Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: Hello > Mime-Version: 1.0 > > > > This is my first time writing to the list...Greetings from the grasslands > > of central Illinois... > > > > Anyway, I am too cheap to join TMBG's HELLO Cd of the month club, yet I > > am very much interested in purchasing some of the individual CDs, such as > > the Johns' solo efforts and the Frank Black CD. Does anyone know if I can > > order them separately? If so, where? > > > What's the HELLO Cd of the Month Club? How does one go about signing up? > The Hello Recording Club is John's Flansburgh's side project. It costs $40 dollars and he selects stuff he thinks is cool. He oftens uses TMBG as a lure to get people to get them to sign up for the club (like I belive in '93 he offered Thier demo tape as one of the things you get if you order it) so sometimes to is a place to get some old stuff (BTW Does anyone have a copy of Thier Demo Tape they want to Sell or Make copies of (and get paid) if so email me!). There's instructions on how to sign up in thier catalog (if you don't have the catalog send a SASE + $2 to the address they give you on the back of almost any TMBG CD (I think I looked at A18 when I sent for mine)). ------------------------------ From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:03:00 -0500 (CDT) Subject: back issues of the digest... I asked the other day if anyone knew where I could find back issues of the digest--well, right after I posted that, I figured out one way. In case anyone else is interested, you can get them by sending a message to the majordomo address with the message "index tmbg-digest", and you'll get a list of all the back issues. Then you can send another message to majordomo that says "get tmbg-digest v01.n001" or whatever number you want. It's all so automatic and nifty. (That was weird; I just posted a reply to my own question.) For those of you who already knew that, sorry for wasting potential space for possibly-more-directly-TMBG-relevant stuff, but I figured it might be of interest to some people. Have a happy Thursday. :) - --Tara - -- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Thu, 19 Oct 95 14:39:37 EDT Subject: Sensurround A strange thing happned to me. My next door neighboor little kid knows why They Might Be Giants are because of the MMPR soundtrack. Isn't that funny how something so horrable can make someone like something so good? As for bring up an old thread (if anyone is still around from then [if anyone is still around]) How is the kid that listend to TMBG while in the whomb? ------------------------------ From: fruit bat Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 13:56:15 -0500 Subject: hello recording club, tmbg fan club To join the hello recording club, you can either send a request for info to their postal address, po box 551 Palisades NY 10964, or you can call toll free, 1-800-HELLO-41, leave your name and address, and they'll send you stuff. the most recent prices are: 95' Membership $46 94' Membership $43 93' Membership $43 or a monster pack of all three years for $120. you can add six bucks to any of these and also receive a hello tshirt, that has the Hello mascot, (a bird) and says Hello on the back. the 93 catalog includes: Brian Dewan The Nelories Flat Old World (kurt hoffman's) Band Of Weeds Eugene Chadbourne Hello The Band (featuring Joshua Fried, produced by JF) The Residents The Minus Five Frank Black Duplex Planet (halloween special) not necissarily in that order. 94 has: Portastatic (with mac from superchunk) Peter Stampfel (who is on fingertips) The Minus Five (same disk as 93) Drink Me JOHN LINNELL'S STATE SONGS Spanish Fly Brian Dewan (again) The Jickets Chaz and the Motorbikes Andy Partridge of XTC **if you joined in 93, then renewed in 94, they sent TMBG live in NY as a bonus disk, since there is a repeat disk. I'm not sure if they still do that or not. and so far, 95 has: JOHN FLANSBURGH'S MONO PUFF Freedy Johnston Frightwig The Coctails The Dambuilders My Dad is Dead Alaska Spondee Philco Bendyx and the last one is unlisted and unreleased. and the epic post continues!!!!!!!!!!! to join the TMBG fan club, you no longer need to send them SASE's or money. its FREE!!! you can either send your address in to: TMBG Information Club Po Box 110535H Williamsburgh Station Brooklyn NY, 11211-0003 or you can call them, and leave your address and stuff. the number is 914 359 0867 it is not free to make the call, but it's worth the long distance rate. so, join up, send in your cash, join hello, vote for persephone, and we'll all be happy. Paul ------------------------------ From: BlueDog Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 12:19:07 -0700 Subject: Re: Youth Culture killed my JH Girl At 08:44 PM 10/17/95 -0700, you wrote: >>I always thought it would be a short sharp name >>like say 'Kate' but truth be known I like Soph and I like Soph's choice, >>and so the JH girl in my opinion is calle 'Persephone'.... > >Too all of the critics out there, here is proof that campaigning DOES work!!! Ahem...then why won't everyone go along with the Big Blue Dog album? I thought 100 reasons is plenty. > >>Now will someone please tell me what >>arachnohfhskhfisdkjhdfhksfhshjkhdfsfwotsitphobia is?! > >Fear of a spider crawling across your keyboard's Caps Lock to Return line >in a frenzied panic? If you only type with only one finger. See y'all on IRC tonight. [.sig deleted] - --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "What are you people, ON DOPE?!?"--Mr. Hand Never leave home without your towel. 42!!! - --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ From: Jay Crockett -- General Purpose Confused Person Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 15:28:19 -0500 (CDT) Subject: import cd and creepy girl A note on the Live import CD: It maynot be worth your 33 bucks becuase the live CD is only 6 tracks long, not the same as the promo CD some people have. The other CD is just john henry. I didn't have JH on CD so it was worth it for me. Its not a cheap bootleg or anything, its a quality package, so if you like collecting TMBG odds and ends like me it might be worth it. You can order it through a number of internet CD stores. The tower records in Nashville seems to keep one copy in stock, so you might check your local equivilent, if such exists. Oh yeah, her name is creepy girl. ******************************************** Jay Crockett Computer Science Major, Tennessee Tech jmc4479@tntech.edu ******************************************** ------------------------------ From: "** JEN TSAO **" Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:57:55 -0400 (EDT) Subject: HELLO I think this is the address to the TMBG mailing list. The Hello Club is AWESOME and you all should join. It's really not that expensive at all. You get ten CDs throughout the course of a year for only $46! Think of it as an investment or something. All of the CDs are good. My favorites are Linnell's State SOngs, MonoPuff, Brian Dewan, Andy Partridge, Freedy Johnston... Oh they're all good. And they've gotten better about sending them out. To request information, call this number: 1-800-HELLO-41. If you order by phone you can get a Hello t-shirt for only $6. What a deal! Just think of it as supporting They Might Be Giants. Jen ------------------------------ From: BWTB61B@prodigy.com (MR JAMES A DRESKO) Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 19:15:21 EDT Subject: import cd and creepy girl > It maynot be worth your 33 bucks becuase the you evil fein!!! ANY tmbg cd is worth at least 100 dollars!!!!!! ------------------------------ From: BWTB61B@prodigy.com (MR JAMES A DRESKO) Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 19:27:02 EDT Subject: Re: Hmmmmm.. >it's "no one knows my plan" isn't it, chum? >you are the spider? _great_. i suffer from that darned arachnophobia. >it sucks. >hope the answer's right, YES! WE HAVE A WINNER.. by the way.. it's a cool show.. so watch it!! ------------------------------ From: David Vogelgesang <924304@xavier.xu.edu> Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 22:00:45 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Survey says! Ok...here's my answers to that survey thingy. 1) I've never been to any concerts. They do come through Cincinnati just about every year, but I've never had a chance to see them. I'm definately going next time, though. 2) Albums I own.. That self titled one, Lincoln, Flood, Misc T, Apollo 18, John Henry, singles- I palidrome I, Why does the sun shine, The Guitar. By the way...where can I get any more???? What's that "state song" cd or what's that Hello cd of the month club??? Can I order TMBG cd's from a catalog?? Maybe cincinnati's behind the times. 3) I'd have to say my favorite album is Lincoln. All the albums rock, though 4) When I find out what it is, I'll tell you. 5) Innie. (join the crowd :) ) Well that's me. Yay. Ziggy === I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me === right up. ------------------------------ From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 23:04:59 -0400 (EDT) Subject: relics? Does anyone out there in modemland have TMBG recordings that aren't the pink album, Lincoln, Flood, Apollo 18, or John Henry that they'd be so kind and make me a copy of if I send them a blank tape or two? I'm really searching for live stuff, either bootleg or that ep from earlier this year. Anyway, e'mail me if you're a nice person. lebo@locke.ccil.org ------------------------------ From: JEK4911@ACS.TAMU.EDU Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 23:00:25 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Survey? Ok, this is driving me crazy...I just joined the list, and I'm reading all the survey answers. But I missed the questions, and I can tell what they were on all of them but one. What was the fourth question? TELL ME! You know, enquiring minds and all. :) - -Jenny (SwankGirl@tamu.edu) ------------------------------ From: "Jason G." Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 00:04:59 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #39 I was browsing MTV the other day and I noticed a video by Edwyn Collins for some song off of the Empire Records Soundtrack. I can't remember the name but I do remember that it was directed by John Flansburgh. Is this one of TMBG's Johns? anyone have info? - -- ============================================================================== "I am | Jason S. Giddens | Buddhist to Hot Dog Kaiser Soze!" | Orlando, Florida | Vendor: "Make me one -The Usual Suspects| jsg35759@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu | with everything!" ============================================================================== The Dallas Cowboys... Without a doubt the greatest football team in the NFL. ============================================================================== ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 18:33:09 -0200 Subject: Saying the Nicest Things I'd like to thank my mother, and God and elvis for this award, and especially: Soph Aimee Chris Bongaarts Myke Sara Lloyd And any other kind person who sent me the chorus to She's An Angel... Thank you, thank you, thank you...the votes are tallied, let's see who the audience picked for Sheryl to go out with.... ...it's RALPH!! ___________________________________________________________________ Rumour has it that David Hasslehoff of Baywatch fame is putting a new album out, it's called "And You Thought I Couldn't Act" - -David Letterman ___________________________________________________________________ Michael Carr (email: michael.carr@galadriel.otago.ac.nz) Large donations always accepted. ___________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: JEK4911@ACS.TAMU.EDU Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 0:34:07 -0500 (CDT) Subject: survey. Oh, goody! Now, I too can answer the survey in the privacy of my own home! So, I guess it would be... 1. Never even come close to seeing Them live. 2. I have TMBG, Lincoln, Misc-T, Flood, Apollo-18, John Henry (with that girl named Alice on the cover) WDTSS, Istanbul, and Back to Skull. 3. My favorite would have to be Flood, for sentimental reasons. 4. What?!? 5. Innie. I feel like such a geek. - -Jenny (SwankGirl@tamu.edu) ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 00:59:16 -0500 (EST) Subject: [none] ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 01:06:14 -0500 (EST) Subject: shes an angel. sorry about the blank message before. i am a dork. okay, in the song shes an angel it is said that: (and i quote) "the shriners loaned us cars" aimee and i know from experience this just isnt so. one time right near the fourth of july we were at the local k-mart and there was this shriner guy out front. we relayed the story of shes an angel, but he wouldnt let us ride his little shrine-mobile for insurance reasons. sure the shriners are nice people, and i understand that they dont want to get sued, but i just wanted to clarify the point that shriners wont REALLY let you ride their buggies up and down the sidewalk twenty thousand million times. boy did we ever try. soph the avenger in conjunction with aimee ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 09:14:59 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Edwin Collins Well, I finally saw the Never Met a Girl Like you Before (or whatever the name of that song is) video. And John Flansburgh did a fantastic job on that video!!! It is hilarious. I love that girl playing the guitar and her hands become really big and then she starts jamming away, and those clay girls dancing around and the big girl at the end that is an alien and starts tromping through the city. Also, when he says "Devil in me" it's cool how his face changes to a devil. Very awesome video, hopefully I'll catch it again sometime. Secondly, I got A Testimonial Dinner, the new XTC tribute album with you know who on there. This album is great! Of course, there aren't many better bands than XTC to make a tribute album to. Freedy Johnston's cover of Earn Enough for Us is masterful, I was loving it already when I popped that first track in. The Crash Test Dummies do a superb job on All You Pretty Girls, I love the beginning to that song. I would have never guessed that the Rembrandts would be on here but they did do an excellent job on Making Plans for Nigel. And the Johns, oh the Johns! 25 o'clock is just plain awesome. I have not heard the Dukes of Stratosphere (otherwise known as XTC) version in many moons and couldn't even remember how it originally went (I'm gonna have to borrow the original CD from a friend of mine) but I was very happy to hear TMBG doing this great song. My friend tells me that Dukes album was meant to be a retro album imitating/poking fun at past different past bands for each song and 25 o'clock was supposed to be like Pink Floyd. Spacehog did a great job on Senses Working Overtime (I've never heard of this band). Joe Jackson was fantastic on Statue of Liberty also. Two of the songs I wasn't as thrilled about (although I really like the originals a lot) were Sarah McGlocklin's (sp?) Dear God, and Verve Pipe's Wake Up. I think they kinda massacred the songs (well maybe not that bad, but pretty bad). I guess they definitely put their own style into the songs which is kinda good in a creativity type of sense I guess. The Man who Sailed Around his Soul was very cool with the mambo spanish type-styling of whoever sang it, can't remember. And Another Satellite which is a great song was covered well. All in all a very successful album. Oh and don't forget Terry and the Lovemen, otherwise known as XTC. Yes, the band is on their own tribute album, wacky huh? ;) I recommend this to anyone, if not only to hear the Johns sing something new, then for a chance to hear a truly magnificent album. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 09:25:47 -0400 (EDT) Subject: cartoon planet Could someone kindly tell me when Cartoon Planet comes on? I'm never home until late at night but maybe I can tape it sometime or something since I am a Space Ghost and TMBG fan! - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Fri, 20 Oct 95 12:28:31 EDT Subject: Re: Survey says! > 2) Albums I own.. That self titled one, Lincoln, Flood, Misc T, Apollo 18, > John Henry, singles- I palidrome I, Why does the sun shine, The Guitar. > By the way...where can I get any more???? What's that "state song" cd or > what's that Hello cd of the month club??? Can I order TMBG cd's from a > catalog?? Maybe cincinnati's behind the times. Yes you can order CD's from the catalog. You can order just about any CD or single exepct for I Palandrome I which is out of print. And speaking of the catalog I just got the Christmas catalog yesterday. They have new post cards and new shirts this time (album cover post cards and shirts). And what is JH Coffee like? And still my favorie Ask John & John Question is... Q> If you could be any animial, what would you be? A> I'd be a delicious steak dinner. - John Linnell ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #40 *****************************************