From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #42 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Tuesday, 24 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 042 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:13:39 GMT Subject: The survey - please read this..... Please Please Please Please - if you are gonna respond to the survey, please could you post your response to me personally at: JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk and not to the list (either directly, or by way of a CC). I know that for those of us who only get the digest, it can be a bit of a pain in the butt, but please make the effort. This has generated a far greater amount of traffic than I ever imagined it would, and after 10 days, I think that some list members may be getting a little weary of seeing the responses being posted to the list. I'd like to see as many people as possible respond, but please send them to me. If you'd like to respond, but have lost/can't find/never got the questions, mail me and I'll send them to you. Thanks in advance to you all. Joe - -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************** * "this record is for the freaks and the fuck ups. the lonely and awkward. * the last ones picked. never picked. the hopeless romantic dreamers. we * wouldn't fit in the box made for us. so much the better cuz it is a * coffin. don't be bullied. don't give up. stay free." -- Wynona Riders * Still coming soon: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/ ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 12:54:27 +1300 (NZDT) Subject: the Good tha bad and the rabid Okay since Rabid Child decided to bite my head off, I'll clarify myself. Some TMBG songs are better than others. If some songs are better than others, some songs must also be worse than others. If some songs are worse than others, one must surely stand out for you as the least fantastic of the least fantastic... And since we're in survey/voting season, let's ask this now anyway. So do tell me. thank you. - ---- ___________________________________________________________________ Rumour has it that David Hasslehoff of Baywatch fame is putting a new album out, it's called "And You Thought My Acting Sucked" - -Dennis Miller ___________________________________________________________________ Michael Carr (email: michael.carr@galadriel.otago.ac.nz) Large cash donations always accepted. ___________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: "Anna Bednarski, Esq." Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 19:48:36 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #41 Hey, dudes, dudettes, and others! I have a question. Someone said that TMBG played at a place called "The Synagogue" (sp.?) in Australia. I've asked this before, but I can't remeber -- do John, John, et al. practice any religion? If so, what? And where did you find this out? NOTE: I am NOT trying to make a judgement call about religion. I'm only curious. I love the subject of religion, and TMBG, and I'm ONLY curious. Disclaimer officially made. E Plurbis Unum, Quid Pro Quo. Now fortified with 20 essential vitamins and minerals, Anna(-nerosis...is that a word??) * * ( . . ) * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ( . . ) * * * _\ ` /_ Anna Bednarski _\ ` /_ * * (_ . _) E-MAIL: abednars@hamlet.indiana.edu (_ . _) * * / ___ \ "I'm not a teacher -- I just play one on TV" / ___ \ * * * \/ \/ * * * "Minimum Wage...HYAH!!!!" (TMBG) * * * * \/ \/ * * ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 21:57:40 -0400 (EDT) Subject: the Good tha bad and the rabid > > Okay since Rabid Child decided to bite my head off, I'll clarify myself. > Some TMBG songs are better than others. > If some songs are better than others, some songs must also be worse than others. > If some songs are worse than others, one must surely stand out for you as > the least fantastic of the least fantastic... > And since we're in survey/voting season, let's ask this now anyway. > So do tell me. > thank you. Well we could post every song ever made by TMBG in order of importance, now wouldn't that take ages!! ;) hehehe, would be really interesting, especially if some kind of statistical plot was made of it. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 22:02:02 -0400 (EDT) Subject: List Problems It seems I made a minor configuration mistake on saturday which made the list unreachable for some people. It has been corrected, sorry for any problems this might have caused. These changes were part of some interesting developments concerning the list and some other They related activities that I think you'll all enjoy. Look for some more information in a week or two. While I've got a message in the works, here are a couple of things I'm looking into: 1) Listing the subjects at the start of every digest. 2) Sending digests every couple of days even if they aren't up to the size limit, so there won't be long delays between digests. 3) Removing peoples signatures from the digest. Let me know if you have any major objections to any of those. And, for the statistics minded: 163 tmbg-digest 95 tmbg-list 258 total - -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: obo@hopf.dnai.com (Bo Orloff) Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 20:26:55 -0700 Subject: Re: Stump! On Sat, 21 Oct 1995 00:33:18 +0600, Patrick Savage wrote: >So what other Stump the Band songs do you guys know about? Does anyone >where I might find a list? I've heard they've played a lot of...ummm... >intriguing songs like: > >Smells Like Teen Spirit, Dancing Queen, YMCA, Runaway, Stairway to >Heaven, Disco Inferno (!) I knew I had a copy of the Stump the Band list around here somewhere and I finally stumbled across it last week. Here it is, as posted in alt.music.tmbg back in February of 1993: >Topic 6 Re: Creativitiy Response 1 of 1 >goodridg >alt.music.tmbg 3:35 pm Feb 6, 1993 >(at husc8.harvard.edu) (From News system) > > > >--------------------------------------- >THE SEMI-CANONICAL THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS >"STUMP THE BAND" LIST V 1.0 >--------------------------------------- > >This list is an attempt to document the many "Stump the Band" songs that >were played over the course of the "Don't Tread On the Cut-Up Snake" >World Tour 1992. > >For those who are unaware of what "Stump The band" was, it was a feature >of the They Might Be Giants Band (That is, TMBG with Tony Maimone, Jon >Feinberg, and Kurt Hoffman behind them) where they would ask members of the >audience to shout out song titles, and the band would choose a song and >attempt to play it. They insisted on never playing the same song twice, >and as a result the unique TMBG sound was adhered to timeless classics. > >Eventually, of course, the same songs kept being shouted, and eventually >TMBG decided to switch to "Spin the Dial", where they would choose a song >off the local radio stations. While this was interesting, I personally >found the idea of the band performing songs whose titles were being shouted >by the audience a much more alluring concept. > >Here then, is the list, as complete as it could be at the moment. >Note that TMBG did not play "Stump the Band" at all their shows, and >I'm still trying to track down people who went to all the shows. > >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >DATE LOCATION VENUE SONG >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >05/06 London, ENGLAND Town & Country Club "Light My Fire" >06/16 Northampton, MA The Iron Horse "Feelings" >06/20 Asbury Park, NJ The Fast Lane "You were Always On My Mind" >06/23 Cleveland, OH Agora Theatre "Disco Inferno" >06/24 Columbus, OH Newport Music Hall "I Wanna Be Sedated" >06/26 Pontiac, MI Phoenix Plaza Ampith. "Kung-Fu Fighting" >06/27 Chicago, IL Riviera Theatre "Yellow Submarine" >06/28 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue "My Way" >06/29 Madison, WI Barrymore Theatre >07/01 Denver, CO Gothic Theatre "Copa Cabana" >07/02 SLC, UT The Coliseum >07/04 Chicago, IL Grant Park *NO STUMP THE BAND* >07/06 NBC-TV The Tonight Show *NO STUMP THE BAND* >07/07 SF, CA Warfield Theatre "YMCA" >07/08 Ventura Ventura Theatre "Truckin'" >07/09 Los Angeles, CA Wiltern Theatre "You Lost that Lovin' Feeling" >07/11 Up. Marlboro, MD 'HFS-Tival '92 "Stand by Me" >07/11 Washington, DC 9:30 Club "We Are the World" >07/16 San Juan Cap., CA The Coach House "Superfreak" >07/17 Tijuana, MEXICO Iguana's "Horse With No Name" >07/18 Tempe, AZ Hayden Sq. Ampith. "You're So Vain" >07/19 Albuquerque, NM El Rey Theatre "The Beat Goes On" >07/21 Dallas, TX Majestic Theatre "The 1812 Overture" >07/22 Austin, TX Liberty Lunch "Hernando's Hideaway" >07/23 Houston, TX The Vatican *SHOW STOPPED BY MARSHALLS* >07/24 New Orleans, LA Tipitina's >07/26 Atlanta, GA Variety Playhouse "Don't Fear the Reaper" >07/28 Richmond, VA Flood Zone >07/30 Pittsburgh, PA I.C. Light Tent >07/31 Philadelphia, PA Trocadero >08/01 Morgantown, WV Nyabinghi Dance Club "Take Me Home, Country Roads" >08/02 Amer. Pub. Radio Mountain Stage * NO STUMP THE BAND * >08/04 New Haven, CT Toad's Place "Ring of Fire" >08/05 New York City, NY Tower Records "Sounds of Silence" >08/05 New York City, NY Beacon Theatre "La Marseillaise" >08/07 Lenox, MA Berkshire Perf. Arts "Black Magic Woman" >08/08 Montreal, CANADA Le Spectrum >08/09 Ottawa, CANADA Porter Hall "Smoke on the Water" >08/11 Toronto, CANADA RPM "Physical" >08/12 Buffalo, NY The Icon "Sympathy For the Devil" >08/14 Hanover, NH Dartmouth College "The Unicorn" >08/15 Boston, MA The Avalon "I will Survive" > Boston, MA The Avalon "We got the Beat" > >*** There is a gap here, because I have no tour mailings from TMBG *** > >09/02 Sacramento, CA Crest Theatre "AquaLung" >09/03 San Francisco, CA Union Square (Free) * NO STUMP THE BAND * >09/05 Portland, OR Melody Lane Ballroom "Burning Love" >09/06 Vancouver, BC Commodore Ballroom "Billie Jean" >09/07 Seattle, WA Bumbershoot Festival >09/10 South Bend, IL U. of Notre Dame "Tainted Love" >09/12 Boston, MA The HatchShell * NO STUMP THE BAND * >09/13 Poughkeepsie, NY The Chance >09/15 Trenton, NJ City Gardens * SPIN THE DIAL * >09/16 New Britain, CT The Sting >09/18 Binghamton, NY SUNY Binghamton >09/19 Amherst, MA Amherst College "Pictures of Matchbook Men" >09/20 Baltimore, MD Johns Hopkins U. "People are Strange" >09/22 Durham, NC Duke University "Brown Eyed Girl" >09/23 Charlotte, NC 1313 >09/25 Atlanta, GA Emory University >09/26 Gainesville, FL Florida Theatre "Dancing Queen" >09/27 Winter Park, FL Rollins College >09/28 Tampa, FL Ritz Theatre >09/30 Nashville, TN 328 Performance Hall >10/02 St. Louis, MO Mississippi Nights >10/03 Columbia, MO The Blue Note >10/05 Milwaukee, WI Modjeska Theatre >10/06 Minneapolis, MN First Avenue "Love Will Keep Us Together" >10/08 Athens, OH University of Ohio >10/09 Wheeling, WV Wheeling Jesuit "Rocky Mountain High" >10/10 Cincinatti, OH Bogart's "Electric Avenue" > >From this point on, TMBG Stopped doing "Stump the Band", bringing a great >era to a close. > >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >A VERY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING TMBG-HEADS: >------------------------------------------------------------------------ >Christina Balacuit, Shannon Finley, Sadiye Guler, John Iacoletti, Emp1, >The Mad Fishmonger, Kat, Constantinio Tobio, Chris Camfield, Scott Glenn, >Ron Belmarch, NZinga, Permanent Lapse of Reason, Sbrine, Matthew Butcher, >Hank Hess, Wade Sherfick, Jason Colton, Jsolon, Darryl Cater, Ka Chun Yi, >Adam Kessel, Christopher Mullins, Jemiah Jefferson, Terry Jones, and Jason >Spec. > >And a EXTREMELY SPECIAL Thanks to murph@athena, who sent me that WONDERFUL >compilation of lots of mentions of the dates, and to John Iacoletti, who >filled a lot of my gaps. >------------------------------------------------------------------------ > >NOTE: This only the beta version of this list! If you see a gap you can > fill in this list, even if it's just dates I missed and/or info > of cancelled shows, I'd like to hear from you. > > Send all Mail to: goodridg@husc8.harvard.edu > >------------------------------------------------------------------------ - -- Bo Orloff Wub-Fur Internet Enterprises The Avant Garage is Online! Check out Ubu Web: ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (joseph drago) Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 22:14:32 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Naming the JH Girl Hi. I know that the Rabid Child is giving a survey to fiand a suitable name for the girl on the cover of the JH album... Well, since she is a "she", looks a little crazy (icepick), and the Rabid Child is giving the survey, that it would be fitting to name her : "The Rabid Child" ... It fits. Food for thought. U-NO-WHO (JD) joeyd@netcom.com ------------------------------ From: The TICK Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:08:37 -0500 Subject: Re: Naming the JH Girl > Well, since she is a "she", looks a little crazy (icepick), and >the Rabid Child is giving the survey, that it would be fitting to name >her : "The Rabid Child" >... > > It fits. Food for thought. is she frothing? do you fear her bite? i think not. stare into her inner beauty, and see her true name, Persephone. ------------------------------ From: lap4@po.cwru.edu (Louis A. Parrott, Jr.) Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 09:38:53 -0500 Subject: Beginner questions.... Alright, I'm new here, so... What is the PINK album? A tip.....do what I did back when Flood was released: I said, "who's the Young Fresh Fellows? (from "Twisting") Is that a real band?" I went and checked and sure enough, THEY WERE! And believe me, they're great. If there's anyone else out their who got hooked like I did, I'd love to hear your story. I also tried the DB's, but didn't like 'em that much. But I've bought everything I've seen by YFF. If anything, you've got to at least hear they're mystery song...tribute to Fonzie!! Is it possible to attach documents with mail, such that everyone will get a copy? Like sound files, picts, etc? Louis A. Parrott, Jr. Case Western Reserve University ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 22:45:22 EST Subject: Re: the Good tha bad and the rabid > one must surely stand out for you as > the least fantastic of the least fantastic... > And since we're in survey/voting season, let's ask this now anyway. > So do tell me. MR. KLAW! I hate that song!!! It's sounds like some kind of pathetic mix of Mr. Ed, and Jimmy Stewart, neither of which I am particularly fond of. If I had a CD player, I'd skip it every time, but as I am CD deficient, and only have cassette tape capabilities, I must listen to that most evil of songs over and over again. The worst part of it is, I KNOW our beloved Johns can do better, MUCH better, and frankly, I wonder what they were thinking or smoking at the time they released that song. Thank you for letting me vent, Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: Rhombus the Rhinoceros Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:36:59 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: the Good tha bad and the rabid On Mon, 23 Oct 1995, The Princess Bridesmaid wrote: > > MR. KLAW! I hate that song!!! It's sounds like some kind of pathetic Although Mr. Klaw is one of TMBG's worst songs, it is still interesting and amazingly weird (and isn't that why we all love the Johns so dearly?) > I KNOW our beloved Johns can do better, MUCH better, and frankly, I > wonder what they were thinking or smoking at the time they released > that song. The Johns were kind enough to all of us loyal fans to release mr. klaw. It is a B-side, one of those things that all of us should be overjoyed to get ahold of even though it isn't a very good song. It is probably just some strange little mix one of them concocted on a whim, would you prefer that the Johns had left it off of Misc T? I think if you are interested in some of the odd things the Johns have done that just don't make the album cut, Misc T is the way to go, and Mr. Klaw is better off in our hands then no ones, right? Nathan (IRC's amazing Linnel) woohoo! ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:36:28 EST Subject: Re: Religious Questions > I've asked this before, but I > can't remeber -- do John, John, et al. practice any religion? If > so, what? And where did you find this out? I heard from a woman who didn't seem to know much about Them that They were Jewish. She is not the kind of person to make such things up, so I think she either read it somewhere or someone told her this. She stated it as if it were a fact, not her own supposition. Why she would care to suppose anything about the Johns, as do many of my fellow fans do, is beyond me--the only song she seems to have heard is "Istanbul". I would ask her where she heard this, but sadly she has graduated and moved on from this institution. She is a very nice woman, and I would like to believe that she would not say things she did not think were true. I do not know if she was right, but that's what she said. Jennifer ############################################################ "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ From: Jubal Hershaw Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 09:48:28 -0500 Subject: paul's number comparison > 163 tmbg-digest > 95 tmbg-list > 258 total > I have fifteen votes in currently. these numbers don't match, but they should. so, at least 243 of you haven't voted. TIME IS RUNNING OUT. ------------------------------ From: Spivey Justin M Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 12:47:12 -0400 (EDT) Subject: The John Henry girl To counteract all this voting for Persephone, I would like to vote for Phoebe fourteen times, if I may. Justin Spivey ------------------------------ From: Jubal Hershaw Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 11:50:35 -0500 Subject: Re: The John Henry girl At 12:47 PM 10/24/95 -0400, you wrote: > >To counteract all this voting for Persephone, I would like to vote for Phoebe fourteen >times, if I may. > >Justin Spivey votes have to be mailed to rabidchild. and if you get to vote 14 times, i get to vote once for each of the voices in my head. and they all support persephone. and there's alot of them. more than fourteen. ------------------------------ From: Fancy Lad Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 12:16:51 CDT Subject: worst?!? the least best song by the johns? definitely hello radio. just gets on my nerves. totally uncoordinated between rhythm and whatever instrument that is (glockenspiel? dunno.) p.s. i LIKE mr. klaw. p.p.s. sorry michael for double sending. ------------------------------ From: aimee elisabeth pflieger Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 12:24:49 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Beginner questions.... my little brother went to chicago last year and bought some cheap tapes (refering to their price, not quality of course), and brought home the young fresh fellows called "electric bird digest", not realizing the significance of them and i about when crazy when i saw it, because i remembered the reference to them in TMBG songs. so i listened. and i liked. and i let soph listen. and she liked. and happiness reigned in the village. and my brother wants his tape back, but he's not going to get it. - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Is it not strange that sheeps' guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?" -Much Ado About Nothing Aimee "grace" Pflieger email: apfliege@othello.ucs.indiana.edu Wright Quad Indiana University Need augmented children's books? I'm your woman. ******************************************************************************* ------------------------------ From: The Artist Formerly known as Joe Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 12:54:02 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Psycology term paper. Hey, For my term paper in psycology we were instructed to analyze a contemporary song for lyrical content. I of course am going to use a TMBG song. I was kicking around the Idea of Where Your eyes don't go, and Birdhouse in your soul. I think I'll use Purple Toupee. Would any of you like to give me some insight into your views on this song. If it's benificial I'll site you as a source. Thanx TAFKAJ - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Now it's over I'm dead and I still haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do Dead - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #42 *****************************************