From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #45 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Wednesday, 25 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 045 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Jennifer Parker" Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:07:28 EST Subject: Religion(Correction) Just a correction to a previous post: Earlier, I meant to say that everything would be alright even IF the Johns are atheists. I did not mean to imply that perhaps they were, because I don't know anything about that. Sorry!! Jennifer ############################################################ "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ From: BlueDog Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 12:52:01 -0700 Subject: Re: Beginner questions.... At 09:38 AM 10/24/95 -0500, you wrote: >Alright, I'm new here, so... > >What is the PINK album? > There isn't. It is called the Made In Canada Album, or the Big Blue Dog Album, but it really is their self-titled album. All it says on the front is THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS. There is a parade of some weird things, including a walking beer. - --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "What are you people, ON DOPE?!?"--Mr. Hand Never leave home without your towel. 42!!! - --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ From: Jennifer Elaine Klauke Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:13:21 -0500 (CDT) Subject: It's here! It's here! Hi. I just got my brand-new holiday-edition TMBG Info-Club Newsletter in the mail today. Zowee! Was I impressed. But after all the trouble I went through to find the Istanbul EP, They went and brought it back. But they took away the Guitar, so I guess the friendly folks at Blockbuster Music weren't lying to me after all. Sorry about that! And, while we're still kinda sorta on the subject, I thought I'd share a religious experience with all of you: My First Exposure to They Might Be Giants. Flashback: 1991. I was an impressionable young youth, somewhere in those pre-pubescent junior high years. Not too far back, really...Anyway, there were these two guys, high school seniors, I might add, who I absolutely worshipped. Two of my friends' older brothers. They were soooooooo cool. Really. They still are. Anyway, one night, I was sitting with them, feeling absolutely swank, when they started singing "Whistling in the Dark." I asked them what it was, and they pulled out a copy of "Flood" (it seems to be most people's first.) And ever since that fateful night, I have been hooked. Or something. ############################################################################## Some people just don't have really cool sigs. Jenny Klauke - SwankGirl - jek4911@tam2k.tamu.edu ############################################################################# ------------------------------ From: "Penny Morris" Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 17:05:18 -0400 Subject: Freaksicle Did it really come out yesterday? I've heard so many conflicting things....I checked Media Play(dunno how many cities have it, a HUGE CD store) yesterday and they didn't have it, but if it WAS released yesterday I'll scour every CD store in Cincinnati if I have to :) Could someone confirm the rumors for me? Penny ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 16:07:03 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Freaksicle Penny Morris writes: > > Did it really come out yesterday? No. Elektra has postponed it indefinitely. - -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "Diplomacy is a way of saying 'nice doggy' until you can get a rock". ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (joseph drago) Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:03:15 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Live CD > > > Just wondering: does anyone own the New York Live CD distributed > with John Henry for $30? > > I purchased a New York Live CD, which has 26 tracks (the last one > of which is a commercial), is produced by Elektra, and is shrink- > wrapped in its own cardboard envelope. John Henry was not attach- > ed, nor did I pay $30. > > I'd like to know whether this is the same New York Live CD that's > been discussed lately. Once that's established, I'd like to > express my surprise that it is _not_ a concert bootleg, but > instead a professionally recorded live performance at Sony Studios. > > Justin Spivey > > I own the JH packaged version...it was recorded at Sony??? That BITES! I have never heard of the 26 track version...which 26? My CD of NYL has: Don't Let's Start Ana Ng Particle Man The Statue Got Me High Bird House in your Soul and Twistin' lemme know which are on your version... (JD) ------------------------------ From: "John E. Neely" Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 17:06:38 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Blah Blah Woof Woof I vote for Persephone. Sorry these are kinda old, should've sent them a long time ago: > From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> > > was looking at the *pink* album and said, wow, rhythym section want ad, > that is a great title. so, even those who dont necessarily really like > Them can appreciate their wonderful way withwords. :) Very true. I personally don't like "Youth Culture Killed My Dog" very much, but I *love* the title. > > Jason "Hail Eris!" > > "All Hail Discordia!" And Never Whistle While You're Pissing... > From: JHulvey@aol.com > > lurking of late, but liked the P-name a lot....Persephone is the > quintessential innocent. Exactly. I don't think she's evil, just sortof seen much of the world at a very young age. Sortof like Alia, for any Dune fans. In fact, maybe she should be called: "St-Persephone-of-the-Pickaxe"!!!! SURVEY, Part the First: Once, in Rolla, Mo. I wanna go again!!!!!!!!!!!! Part the Second: All the albums, Misc T, I Pal I, WDTSS, BTS, O Tann., & the Video Comp Part the Third: I can't pick a fav! Part the Fourth: Wha..............???????????? Part the Fifth: Innie. Part the Sixth: Does anyone remember the huge, in depth survey from the old list? What happened to that? Where are the results? Can I change my answers? JH 2CD w/ live cd: Does this have the hard rock version of WDTSS? Or is that only on the Hello Live in NY thing? That song kicks! Is there any other avalible recording of it? Quick Non-TMBG thing: Has anyone seen the Montreal-based performance art/PVC pipe percussion group TUYO? I saw them 2 nights ago, and they're incredible! I think "Les tracteurs ne sont pas morts ici" has to be one of my all-time favorite songs. You know what's missing from this list? Interps. I know some people hate them, and I agree that certain art things should be left alone, but TMBG interps are *FUN*! And thought provoking. Anyone have any thing to offer? I'm going to go pick out a TMBG song and see what I can come up with. BUT: please don't repeat stuff from the FAQ, or say REALLY obvious stuff, like 5 pages on why They'll Need A Crane is about a couple breaking up. Be. "And don't forget to boogie!" %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael) Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 11:25:44 +1200 Subject: They Might Be Okay My favourite TMBG song, and I KNOW you're dying to fid this out is I Should Be Allowed To Think and closely followed by She's An Angel and now you know. ***************************************************** "Whoever decided to call it necking sure is a bad judge of anatomy" -Groucho Marx ***************************************************** Michael Carr ***************************************************** ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (joseph drago) Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:30:54 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Blah Blah Woof Woof > JH 2CD w/ live cd: Does this have the hard rock version of WDTSS? Or is > that only on the Hello Live in NY thing? That song kicks! Is there any > other avalible recording of it? I have the 2 CD deal...no WDTSS ( I WISH ) (JD) ------------------------------ From: "Jacob T. Eidsmoe" Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:37:53 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Live CD YIKES! obvious confusion. here is my 2-cents worth: I own a 26-track live CD of TMBG Live in NY on 10/14/94. It came to me as a part of the Hello Recording Club selections. To be a part of the club, I had to pay $46. You also gat a great many other CDs throughout the year, 10 in all. This CD was official, distributed by Electra, and just to make sure we are all in sync, my copy has for track #26 a Cepastat commercial? the full CD line-up is as such: 1) Intro 2) O Do Not Forsake Me 3) Don't Let's Start 4) AKA Driver 5-6) bunch of crap (announcer speaking) 7) Why Does THe Sun SHine? 8) Purple Toupee 9) Sleeping With THe Flowers 10) Chess Piece Face 11) Particle Man 12) She's An Angel 13) The Statue Got Me High 14) "Band Intros" 15) Whistling In The Dark 16) Ana Ng 17-18) more crap 19) Turn Around 20) I Palendrome I 21) Birdhouse In Your Soul 22) Snail Shell 23) Twistin' 24) Dig My grave 25) even more crap 26) Cepastat spot hope this helps to clear up any confusion...or maybe create even more...who knows... :-) Jacob On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, joseph drago wrote: > > > > > > Just wondering: does anyone own the New York Live CD distributed > > with John Henry for $30? > > > > I purchased a New York Live CD, which has 26 tracks (the last one > > of which is a commercial), is produced by Elektra, and is shrink- > > wrapped in its own cardboard envelope. John Henry was not attach- > > ed, nor did I pay $30. > > > > I'd like to know whether this is the same New York Live CD that's > > been discussed lately. Once that's established, I'd like to > > express my surprise that it is _not_ a concert bootleg, but > > instead a professionally recorded live performance at Sony Studios. > > > > Justin Spivey > > > > > > I own the JH packaged version...it was recorded at Sony??? That BITES! I > have never heard of the 26 track version...which 26? > > My CD of NYL has: > > Don't Let's Start > Ana Ng > Particle Man > The Statue Got Me High > Bird House in your Soul > and Twistin' > > lemme know which are on your version... > > (JD) > > ------------------------------ From: Stacy K Shoff Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 18:40:27 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG explain it all... Hi all! I don't know if anyone else caught this, but I was spending yesterday afternoon lounging around, trying my best to avoid studying, and I happened to flip to Nickelodeon which was in the middle of its after- school kid show programming. (hosted by Stick Stickley, a talking popsicle stick--very cute) So anyway, they have some viewers choice thing, and some woman had requested they run the very first episode of "Clarissa Explains It All" So it begins with Clarissa introducing herself and listing her likes and dislikes while little cartooney graphics corresponding to her speech appear on the screen. So, under "Likes" she says "John, the guy without the glasses in They Might Be Giants" And as she says this a lame-o caricature of the Johns appears and the beginning chords of "Ana Ng" play. I was so surprised that I continued to watch the episode and noticed that she had hanging on her wall the five-pronged symbol thingy from the cover of Flood and a poster showing both the Johns holding accordians. I was truly amazed. I caught part of a later episode later that night and the wall hangings had disappeared. Well, just found it interesting and redeeming that another TV show had chosen to glorify our friends the Giants. Congratulations to those who made it thru this entire post! :) sorry! Beaming, Stacy ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (joseph drago) Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:35:43 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Freaksicle > > Did it really come out yesterday? I've heard so many conflicting things....I > checked Media Play(dunno how many cities have it, a HUGE CD store) yesterday > and they didn't have it, but if it WAS released yesterday I'll scour every CD > store in Cincinnati if I have to :) Could someone confirm the rumors for me? > Penny I live in San Jose and make it my job to be on the lookout for it... Not here yet. Period. (JD) joeyd@netcom.com ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (joseph drago) Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 15:34:16 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Live CD > > EGAD! that sucks.. the 24 track cd is awsome!!! HEY! while i'm at it. > does anybody else have the JH poster of persephone? i can't remember ^^^^^^^^^^ I guess the name has already been decided...(kinda) I voted for Pandora, but I have heard Persephone so many times I am used to seeing her as that...even if "P" isn't her voted name... I WILL REMEMBER HER AS PERSEPHONE NOW... Thank you for the brainwashing all of you...(j/k) (JD) ------------------------------ From: "Jacob T. Eidsmoe" Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 17:30:45 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Freaksicle I just did a quick call to Tower Records (the CD gurus...if they don't know, usually no one knows)...and guess what? They didn't know...they didn't have any release date in thier computer, and they didn't even have a new title. So... Is this new album just some awful rumour? We deserve some answers...hmph... - -Jacob ------------------------------ From: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 20:47:29 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Freaksicle Can you read--? All of the messages on the list have been telling us that the "exalted" Electra has, unfortunately, postponed this album indefinitely--we don't even have an idea of the release date! (If there even is one...) On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Jacob T. Eidsmoe wrote: > I just did a quick call to Tower Records (the CD gurus...if they don't > know, usually no one knows)...and guess what? They didn't know...they > didn't have any release date in thier computer, and they didn't even have > a new title. So... > > Is this new album just some awful rumour? We deserve some answers...hmph... > > -Jacob > ------------------------------ From: "Jacob T. Eidsmoe" Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 17:58:35 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Freaksicle On Wed, 25 Oct 1995 fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu wrote: > Can you read--? All of the messages on the list have been telling us > that the "exalted" Electra has, unfortunately, postponed this album > indefinitely--we don't even have an idea of the release date! (If there > even is one...) Don't get snotty...I REALIZED that "we don't even have an idea of a release date"...but I figured perhaps a major CD company might have a bit more info as to WHY it had been held back (but to no avail)...so I did some more checking...Sorry if this disturbs you... Sincerely, Jacob > > On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Jacob T. Eidsmoe wrote: > > > I just did a quick call to Tower Records (the CD gurus...if they don't > > know, usually no one knows)...and guess what? They didn't know...they > > didn't have any release date in thier computer, and they didn't even have > > a new title. So... > > > > Is this new album just some awful rumour? We deserve some answers...hmph... > > > > -Jacob > > > ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:06:48 -0400 (EDT) Subject: JH gal > > EGAD! that sucks.. the 24 track cd is awsome!!! HEY! while i'm at it. > > does anybody else have the JH poster of persephone? i can't remember I have that very poster hanging directly above my bed so I can see her evil face staring right down on my face every night I go to bed. Very chilling I must tell you. I snagged it from the Radio Music Hall gig down in Washington, DC. - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:06:05 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Freaksicle Sorry about that, Jacob--I really meant no offense. In the TMBG spirit, please receive my heartfelt apologies! Oh, and by the way, everyone. "Chess Piece Face" is a darn good song, isn't it? FLK ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:09:41 -0400 (EDT) Subject: TMBG explain it all... > > > Hi all! I don't know if anyone else caught this, but I was spending > yesterday afternoon lounging around, trying my best to avoid studying, > and I happened to flip to Nickelodeon which was in the middle of its after- > school kid show programming. (hosted by Stick Stickley, a talking popsicle > stick--very cute) So anyway, they have some viewers choice thing, and > some woman had requested they run the very first episode of "Clarissa > Explains It All" So it begins with Clarissa introducing herself and > listing her likes and dislikes while little cartooney graphics > corresponding to her speech appear on the screen. So, under "Likes" she > says "John, the guy without the glasses in They Might Be Giants" And as > she says this a lame-o caricature of the Johns appears and the beginning > chords of "Ana Ng" play. I was so surprised that I continued to watch > the episode and noticed that she had hanging on her wall the five-pronged > symbol thingy from the cover of Flood and a poster showing both the Johns > holding accordians. I was truly amazed. I caught part of a later > episode later that night and the wall hangings had disappeared. > > Well, just found it interesting and redeeming that another TV show had > chosen to glorify our friends the Giants. Congratulations to those who > made it thru this entire post! :) sorry! Ya know I've seen that very show and how dumb it is. I would never have guessed in a million years that she'd have a TMBG poster and such. I will have to look much closer next time, if there is a next time ;) - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: "Jacob T. Eidsmoe" Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 18:15:01 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Re: Freaksicle not a problem...I was hoping I hadn't started to make TMBEnemies online... Jacob ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:33:42 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Administrava - Important There are going to be a couple of very important changes in the list before next monday that everyone should know about. 1) The list is moving to another machine I own. This should be completely transparent to everyone on the list, but might cause a few delays in list delivery during the switchover. 2) A new DIGEST package will be installed at the same time. This package will send out the digests every morning at 3AM if there is anything in them. It will also put a list of subjects at the top of each digest. BACK DIGESTS - BACK DIGESTS - BACK DIGESTS It appears there were some digests 'stuck' in the MIT machine that used to run this list over a year ago. They were just forwarded to me. They were never sent out. I am going to forward them to the list/digest now to get us all caught up. Sorry about all the large mailings at once. - -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #45 *****************************************