From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #46 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Wednesday, 25 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 046 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Leo Bicknell Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:34:21 -0400 (EDT) Subject: digest 1 of 5 (fwd) Forwarded message: From cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu Wed Oct 25 21:12:24 1995 From: cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu To: bicknell@ufp.org Subject: digest 1 of 5 Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 21:11:13 EDT Sender: cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu Message-ID: <9510252111.aa26649@mc.lcs.mit.edu> Please note that the filename of this one indicated that it -had- been distributed. You might want to check your files to see whether it was broadcast successfully before re-broadcasting. - ---------- X-Digestifier-Version: 2.11 Message-Id: Date: Mon, 1 May 95 18:00:52 EDT From: Automatic They-Might-Be Digestifier Reply-To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Errors-To: they-might-be-request Subject: They-Might-Be Digest V4 #145 To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu They-Might-Be Digest Mon, 1 May 95 Volume 4 : Issue 145 Today's Topics: Elvis has left the building... FAQ Me A Lot Haggis! You're with us! I want a cup of 'T' *JH girl* John Flansburgh Passed Away (1962-1995) (2 msgs) Kate and Kari show's going down hill. Oops. (2 msgs) Talkin' 'Bout the Best of My Generation The Creepy Girl. (2 msgs) ursinus show VOTE!!!!!!!! (2 msgs) Vote...But not for Catherine or Desdemona What's for breakfast? <<<<<=====-----=====>>>>> - ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199505011646.MAA08544@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu> Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 12:45 EST From: ROE_MB@scccvb.corning-cc.edu To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: about bootlegging....... isn't the digest the WORST place to ask about that? Mabye its just me.. Kind of like walking into a bank and asking if robbery is against the law or something..... Bad example, but I think you get my drift.... Also, if the 'bootlegging' is allowed, is it really 'bootlegging'? just wonderin' Matt :::---))) - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 16:06:34 -0600 (CST) From: Francesca Parker Reply-To: flparker@midway.uchicago.edu Message-Id: <57996.flparker@midway.uchicago.edu> To: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: Elvis has left the building... The folks of fine taste at fX are highlighting another favored musician! Joshua Fried (remix master supreme of "The World's Address", and the man who transformed "She's Actual Size" into the dance groove "Larger Than Life") will be appearing on SOUND FX, a nightly show on the fX cable network, Tuesday May 2 (TOMORROW), 11pm Eastern, to demonstrate his invention, the Musician Shoes. quoth the man: > The show is a trip! tune in, and maybe they'll keep up the trend! - the highway matrons of Utopia Parkway. - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 15:56:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: FAQ Me A Lot To: All They Might Be Giants Persons Message-ID: I must just really apologize, for my subject headings have Been rather rude recently, and I ask you just to ignore them as this phase will pass. But, This post is about the FAQ--the most recent one that I have seen. It came out in February of this year (I believe), and I thought I might make a friendly offer to those who have not seen it and NEED TO. I will forward my copy of it to you, if you write me *privately*--PLEASE. Just a public (not pubic, or even publike) service from Ben or Been - ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199505010446.AAA17711@us.itd.umich.edu> From: Alan Terlep Subject: Haggis! You're with us! To: HAGGIS Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 00:46:11 -0400 (EDT) Cc: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu In-Reply-To: from "HAGGIS" at May 1, 95 01:45:35 pm You should know the melody for this...I started it during the "Haggis" craze and only just got around to finishing it. These lyrics are copyright 1995, by Alan Terlep. All rights reserved. Really. I'm your only food, I'm not your only food But I'm a strangely tasting food But really I'm not actually a food But I am... CHORUS: Strange ingredients in the sausage made in Scotland Sending e-mail to you Put a little haggis in your soul. Don't you put too much suet in it Make sure you use the right kind of rennet Put a litle haggis in your soul. It has a very odd smell Although it's easy to spell It's a simple foodstuff and it goes with "neeps and nips" well. So the list must hearken to me Eat your haggis religiously This stuff is blue ribbon material, why can't you see? My love is infinite All the foods that I could eat This one's the best. CHORUS There's a small book opposite me Of some Scottish poetry Written on rocky shores about the food inspiring me. Rob Burns respects it a lot He says he'll eat it and not Some fancy French cuisine Or countless steaming hors d'oeuvres--not! Favorite food near Loch Ness Whether it's hot or cold it's Always dear CHORUS (various repetitions of chorus not included...you can fill them in yourself.) Alan Terlep Famous last words #733: ximenez@umich.edu "Beware the unnameable one!" This .sig has THREE lines! "Oh, you mean Hastur ?" http://www.acs.oakland.edu/links/atterlep/index.html - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 95 12:52:22 BST Message-Id: To: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: I want a cup of 'T' From: The.Insane.Mutant.Tentacle%tees.scorch@tees.ac.uk Praise be to Chris Bongaarts and Joe Keith for setting me right on those little points I oh so sillilly maffed up whilst being insane... I went to the record shop and said "Hey blokey, What TMBG stuff ya got???" To which he had to wait till his brain decoded my speech and then replied in a boring normal English accent "Lincoln, TMBG, JH, Apollo 18 and Flood" So my question is, Is it possible to get hold of Misc T from any decent record outlets?? I have the B-Side collection of 'don't let's start' and I cannot believe I could not recognize their first album as the pink album for all mine says is They Might Be Giants. Sorry!!! Thanks for the help guys... "My Room Is Comfortably Small With Rubber Lining The Walls And Someone Is Always Calling My Name... He Calls When I'm alone, He Calls When I'm not home, He Calls When I'm Stuck Out In The Rain... I'm Insane, I'm Insane, I'm Insane...." -TMBG CM-l.t.stoddart@tees.ac.uk - Peace Y'all - ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199505012101.RAA12599@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu> Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 12:58:33 -0800 To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu From: "kate, Queen of Suburbia" Subject: *JH girl* EVERYBODY VOTE FOR.....(drumroll) BOBBI JO! BOBBI JO! BOBBI JO! she looks like a Bobbi Jo...so there! kate ============================================================================ "Light another cigarette, have another dream." -"Change" Boingo - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 15:51:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: John Flansburgh Passed Away (1962-1995) To: All They Might Be Giants Persons Message-ID: This is just a sick message to coax you into VOTING!!!! I apologize, but I wanna see some more votes!!!! And, someone, appease the God with 9 addresses. I want all those votes. On a bus to Beelzebub, Ben or Been |) (sleeping man) B{) (moustache man) - ------------------------------ From: John Iacoletti Message-Id: <9505012124.AA18202@johniac.austin.ibm.com> Subject: John Flansburgh Passed Away (1962-1995) To: TMBG Mailing List Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 16:24:33 -0500 (CDT) Benjamin Hauck writes: > This is just a sick message to coax you into VOTING!!!! Good try, but any REAL fan would know that Flans was born in 1961 ;-) - -- John Iacoletti IBM - Team AIX Austin, Texas johniac@austin.ibm.com or johniac@vnet.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 11:42:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Douglas B Hollywood To: CharlieDs@aol.com cc: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: Kate and Kari show's going down hill. In-Reply-To: <950430191637_101908066@aol.com> Message-ID: hell oh, fellas On Sun, 30 Apr 1995 CharlieDs@aol.com wrote: > I can't help but think about how pitiful thit is, The Kate and Kari show NOW > does not involve either Kate OR Kari. I'm sorry, but that is just too > strange for me. In fact it doesn't make sense. Sorry, I'm rambling on a > boring topic. it makes perfect sense!!! ray is a god!!! i mean..the kate and kari show is a god!! <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> D my H O .sig O U can L G beat L L up Y A your W S dad O * "If that's the way you feel." O B - toolboy D <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> - ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199505011222.IAA05078@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu> Date: 30 Apr 95 12:20:00 CST From: RAREY KELLEY Subject: Oops. To: they-might-be I believe that when I posted yesterday, I was under the influence of all of t those strange people in my school's computer lab, and I sent a post to one person instead of sending it to the list. Sorry. Now that I am back in the confines of my room, I would like to share my knowl daily bit of knowledge with the group as a whole. The message I responded to was wondering about Jim O'Connor, and if he always walks around before the show, because he has been spotted a few times carrying around his trumpet case. The answer is, yes, he does roam around before just about every show. Inside, outside, wherever. Most of the time the telltale sign is the trumpet case (which by the way is used to smuggle two trumpets into the show, not strange experimental substances). He is sometimes joined by Brian and/or Tony. Why does he do this, you query? Well, truth be known, he is just a big kid, and he enjoys checking out the show as much as the rest of us not so big (he's 6'1") kids out there. Jim gets a kick out of seeing how the crowd is reacting for the evening. (hey, everybody's gotta have a hobby) Any more questions? Also, someone mentioned that They might be tired of doing the same thing night after night. Well, that is somewhat doubtful, because They never do the same thing. Flans writes and rewrites the show every day, so that every show is completely different from the next, except for a few core songs that must be played so that we don't become raving lunatics. (Can you imagine a show w/o Istanbul?) For anyone who saw them in Evanston, Illinois, They did three shows. One night was Potpourri (anything and everything) Night, one was John Henry Night, and the final night was Nostalgia Night. They do keep it interesting. "Only one thing could drag me away from the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window . . . ." --Ralphie, A Christmas Story Kelley - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 09:23:12 -0400 (EDT) From: Jessica Eakett Subject: Oops. To: RAREY KELLEY cc: they-might-be In-Reply-To: <199505011222.IAA05078@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu> Message-ID: On 30 Apr 1995, RAREY KELLEY wrote: > Also, someone mentioned that They might be tired of doing the same thing night > after night. Well, that is somewhat doubtful, because They never do the same > thing. Flans writes and rewrites the show every day, so that every show is > completely different from the next, except for a few core songs that must be > played so that we don't become raving lunatics. (Can you imagine a show w/o > Istanbul?) For anyone who saw them in Evanston, Illinois, They did three > shows. One night was Potpourri (anything and everything) Night, one was > John Henry Night, and the final night was Nostalgia Night. They do keep it > interesting. > Well, I went to the 2 shows in Boston last week, and they were almost *exactly* the same, down to the order of the songs. They made a few switches, and added a song, but basically it was virtually *the same show* 2 nights in a row. Not that I minded too much... but still. Quite possibly the biggest thrill of the show is seeing my heroes play the music right in front of my face. Ahhh.... Flans..... :) And yes, I can imagine a show w/o Istanbul, and I like it very much. :) I'm sick, Jess:) - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 11:56:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Douglas B Hollywood To: Benjamin Hauck cc: All They Might Be Giants Persons Subject: Talkin' 'Bout the Best of My Generation In-Reply-To: Message-ID: hell oh, fellas ben (the infamous one) wrote: > 1. HOW MANY have noticed that the liner notes in the CD of _John Henry_ > for "I Should Be Allowed to Think" have a different, completely opposite > word listed than what is sung in the song? i did > The change is in the approx. third stanza/strophe. The notes say "I was > the best hope of my generation, etc." and the lyrics in the song bounce "I > was the wurst hope of my generation, etc."--strongly connecting the song > with the Liverwurst Rebellion of Ancient Akkad thousands of years ago. > > Well, just kidding. The song actually bounces "I was the worst hope of my > generation, etc." Kinda curious. I have the feeling it is not really a > misprint--quite possibly "an artistic decision" or a recording change > after the publication of the lyrics. no, ben, you were right the first time. > 2. HOW MANY of you were rather peeved when you first heard "Sleeping > in the Flowers" and heard that FlannyBoy was riding home with a strange > *DRUNK* guy? I mean, being in the car with a drunk at the wheel can be, > granted, a pretty exciting ride--esp. when he's spinning his head 'round > and 'round--but we could have lost half the band in a freak accident! c'mon, ben!! that's what makes Them so cool!!! They do stuff that we only wish we could do, but we dont because we're mortal. They drink coffee all the time...everyone knows caffeine is bad for you. They ride in cars with drunk drivers...it's bad for you, but it's so damn fun!!! i was delighted to learn that flans rides in cars with drunk drivers. it made me say to myself, "self," cause that's what i call myself when i'm talking to myself. i said, "self, flans rides with drunk drivers...maybe if *i* was a drunk driver, he'd ride with me!!" so, everytime i step inside that '72 pickup, i down a few shots of vodka with my TMBG shot glasses before i take to the wheel. to continue this style of interpretation, let's look at particle man. particle man is a particle...but They call him a man...how could something be a particle AND a man??? it doesnt make any sense...same with triangle man and universe man. *they* arent men, yet They call them men. i dont think TMBG knows what They're talking about. > I was kinda disturbed still are, benny. > 3. The weekend has almost completely passed for me, and I have received > VERY FEW VOTES. Are you wishing to vote? you better be careful, ben. someone might not give the answer that you want them to. > I ask of some: If you're not going to vote, for what reason might you be > withholding? ben, that's like asking, "why didnt you go see dumb and dumber?" sinsaralee, douglas b hollywood <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> D my H O .sig O U can L G beat L L up Y A your W S dad O * "If that's the way you feel." O B - toolboy D <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 11:17:05 -0500 (CDT) From: Douglas B Hollywood To: The Princess Bridesmaid cc: benjamin c salmon , they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: The Creepy Girl. In-Reply-To: Message-ID: vote for catherine <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> D my H O .sig O U can L G beat L L up Y A your W S dad O * "If that's the way you feel." O B - toolboy D <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> - ------------------------------ From: The Princess Bridesmaid Organization: Agnes Scott College To: Douglas B Hollywood Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 15:05:42 EST Subject: The Creepy Girl. Cc: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Message-Id: <107784B252F@Agnes.ScottLAN.Edu> >vote for catherine You, sir are evil. Do Not listen to him! The Creepy Girl has brainwashed him. It is invasion of the Body Snachers all over again! Cathy Committee to not elect Catherine or Desdemona ************************************************************** "Thinking's what got you into trouble in the first place." Chris Stevens Northern Exposure "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Cathy Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu *************************************************************** - ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199505011703.NAA08805@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu> Date: Mon, 1 May 95 13:01 EDT From: "Keith A. Whitmire" Subject: ursinus show To: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu hello all, the ursinus show on the 29th was good and very bad. let me explain. first good thing-brian dewan opened-a very pleasant surprise. now something bad. three songs into the set, linnell's keyboard stopped working and they stopped the show for five minutes to figure out what was going on. it was rather humor ous because he was slapping buttons and he put his ear to the keyboard to let sound boy know what was going on. during the break, the next incredibly bad th ing happened. some idiot stole flannsies guitar. the rest of the show, flans was understandably pissed. he frequently mentioned how upset he was as he introduced the songs. because of this(probably), they did not play an encore-t hey got the hell out of there pretty damn quick. i did get a set list however, which is cool. the encore would have been istanbul, sleeping in the flowers, and subliminal. oh yeah, another bad thing, some drunk chick started yelling a t me because 'i pay $25,000 to go here, so i want to be in the front row'. i l et her in because she wouldn't shut the hell up. don't get me wrong, it was a muchly excellent show, there were just a couple of not so good things which haven't happened at the other six shows i have been at this year. later keith - ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199505011220.IAA05051@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu> Date: 29 Apr 95 18:50:00 CST From: RAREY KELLEY Subject: VOTE!!!!!!!! To: they-might-be MOIRA! Moira! MMMOOOIIIRRRAAA!!!!!!!! Say it a few times, it has such a nice ring to it. T Try it, you'll like it. BTW: drink decaf occasionally. your body will thank you. "Only one thing could drag me away from the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window . . . ." -- Ralphie in A Christmas Story - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 May 1995 12:09:01 -0500 (EST) From: Bob Subject: Vote... To: tmbg@gnu.ai.mit.edu Message-id: <01HPZLHQ5XNO8Y796M@utkvx.utk.edu> Hello everyone. Well, as of the weekend, it seems not very many people have voted for their favorite name for the John Henry girl. That means, oh, say...nine or so votes for your favorite name could swing the election pretty easily. All nine of my votes are still up for grabs...nobody's made me an offer yet. And hey, all you people needing ten emails to Ben or Been to get your name on the ballot...I've got nine addresses just sitting here waiting to be used. All I ask for is copies of your TMBG bootlegs, especially the recent Live In NY. I'll provide the tapes and everything, you just supply the music and I'll use my email powers to influence the election in your direction. Only exceptions: I won't vote for Catherine or Desdemona, because I couldn't stand to see Cathy upset, especially since she brought up the whole Creepy Girl thing to begin with. Hurry...only about a week of voting time left! The enterprising one, Bob - -- (C)1995 Robert Bird bird@utkvx.utk.edu http://cobweb.utcc.utk.edu/~bird University of Tennessee, Knoxville Materials Science and Engineering I speak only for myself and a few other selected split-personalities. THIS DISCLAIMER IS NOT REQUIRED BY LEADER KIBO. beable beable beable - ------------------------------ From: The Princess Bridesmaid Organization: Agnes Scott College To: Bob Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 15:03:18 EST Subject: Vote...But not for Catherine or Desdemona Cc: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Message-Id: <1076E714214@Agnes.ScottLAN.Edu> >Only exceptions: I won't vote for Catherine or Desdemona, because I >couldn't stand to see Cathy upset, especially since she brought up >the whole Creepy Girl thing to begin with. Right there is absolute proof that there are good, kind, wonderful men out there. Thank you Bob, you are sweet. Much unlike some people I could mention. Hmmm... Zedler? (the bland one, not the tasty one) I repeat my plea...Don't vote for Catherine or Desdemona. It's cruel! Cathy Committee to not elect Catherine or Desdemona ************************************************************** "Thinking's what got you into trouble in the first place." Chris Stevens Northern Exposure "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Cathy Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu *************************************************************** - ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 11:40:40 -0500 (CDT) From: Douglas B Hollywood To: THBRIGUY@aol.com cc: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: What's for breakfast? In-Reply-To: <950430172946_101801720@aol.com> Message-ID: On Sun, 30 Apr 1995 THBRIGUY@aol.com wrote: > Hi there guys (and gals of course). I am new to this list, so first of all, > I'd like to welcome me! Now that I have gotten that out of the way, I have a > question. I have noticed a couple o' places where mention was made of TMBG > the band AND THE CEREAL. Is there really a cereal? And how come I can't find > it here on the west coast. If somebody would be willing to mail me a box, I > would be most grateful. Or am I just another victim of a running joke?!? i'll mail you a box. it's no problem. all you have to do is mail me the amount for purchasing the cereal and for S&H. that should come out to about $50...inflation and all. one question...do you want the one with extra hot cha bacon or with the promotional one with marshmallow particle men? <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> D my H O .sig O U can L G beat L L up Y A your W S dad O * "If that's the way you feel." O B - toolboy D <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> - ------------------------------ End of They-Might-Be Digest ****************************** - -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:34:20 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Freaksicle There is no such thing as a TMBEnemy, is there? I surely hope not! On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Jacob T. Eidsmoe wrote: > not a problem...I was hoping I hadn't started to make TMBEnemies online... > > Jacob > ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:35:02 -0400 (EDT) Subject: digest 2 of 5 (fwd) Forwarded message: From cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu Wed Oct 25 21:16:25 1995 From: cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu To: bicknell@ufp.org Subject: digest 2 of 5 Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 21:15:28 EDT Sender: cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu Message-ID: <9510252115.aa26676@mc.lcs.mit.edu> This is the first of the 3 composed but unsent digests. Yes, the last sent one was 145 and this is 147; I don't know what happened to 146. - ---------- X-Digestifier-Version: 2.11 Message-Id: Date: Sat, 17 Jun 95 00:00:15 EDT From: Automatic They-Might-Be Digestifier Reply-To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Errors-To: they-might-be-request Subject: They-Might-Be Digest V4 #147 To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu They-Might-Be Digest Sat, 17 Jun 95 Volume 4 : Issue 147 Today's Topics: Grrrr.... list shutdown No list! *sob* The EVIL shutdown notice The TMBG list They Might Be on a new server! TMBG on Zima CD Update <<<<<=====-----=====>>>>> - ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 19:18:50 -0600 To: 34m4cfv@cmich.edu From: "Jonathan R. Chaffer" Subject: Grrrr.... The TMBG story thus far: Hmm.. 2 weeks have gone by since my last message, and I have heard nothing from either Micah, our former admin, or gfry@unicomp.net, who said he could set up a server. Ack! Joe Shaw has just sent me a note saying his server will host majordomo lists. I think we should take him up on his offer, no? If I don't hear from Micah or Gfry in the next three days or so, I'm going to assume that Joe is our best bet. That's all for now... Jon **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 "We like to call it 'Vogelhaus in deiner Zahle.'" --TMBG GM/MU d+(-) H s++:--->++:- !g p?>5 au- a-- w+@ v+ C+++ U-(---) P? !L !3 E? N-- K !!W---!! M+++++$ V po+@ Y+@ t+ !5 j (2.1) R+/C G'(?) tv b++ !D B- e* u** h! f* r-- n !y>!y - ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 13:43:15 -0400 From: Daniel Hagerty Message-Id: <199505021743.NAA01475@churchy.gnu.ai.mit.edu> To: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: list shutdown Reply-to: Daniel Hagerty The maintainer of this list has apparently not been reading his mail for some time; he has now overflowed our local mail spool 3 times with a mailbox full of bounces primarily from this list. I'm shutting down this list. Ziggy is a guest on the Free Software Foundation machines. We allow guests to run mailing lists as long as they don't consume staff time, and this one has been. I suggest you start looking for an alternate site to run this list from. - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 19:19:22 -0600 To: 34m4cfv@cmich.edu From: "Jonathan R. Chaffer" Subject: No list! *sob* AAAAAAA! It looks like the list really is shut down. I have taken it upon myself to mail this letter to everyone that was on it. I am using a list of members that I got from Majordomo about 2 weeks ago. If you have unsubscribed since then, I apologize. Mail me and I'll take you off of my list. Anyway, *I* have no server with which to run a listserv. If anyone does, and can set up the list, I have the aforementioned list of former members-- just tell me and I can email it to you. So long, and I hope I hear from someone with server access soon! *fingers crossed* - -- Jon P.S. If I haven't sent you anagrams and you requested them, it's probably 'cause I went insane for a few hours after the dreadful shutdown message and deleted the requests. Mail me again please. **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 "We like to call it 'Vogelhaus in deiner Zahle.'" --TMBG GM/MU d+(-) H s++:--->++:- !g p?>5 au- a-- w+@ v+ C+++ U-(---) P? !L !3 E? N-- K !!W---!! M+++++$ V po+@ Y+@ t+ !5 j (2.1) R+/C G'(?) tv b++ !D B- e* u** h! f* r-- n !y>!y - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 14:50:40 -0600 To: 34m4cfv@cmich.edu From: "Jonathan R. Chaffer" Subject: The EVIL shutdown notice Here is a copy of the EVIL message that apparently only some of us received: - ----- Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 13:43:15 -0400 From: Daniel Hagerty To: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: list shutdown X-Work: 545 Technology Sq, Rm 426, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA X-Phone: +1 (617) 253-8568 Reply-to: Daniel Hagerty The maintainer of this list has apparently not been reading his mail for some time; he has now overflowed our local mail spool 3 times with a mailbox full of bounces primarily from this list. I'm shutting down this list. Ziggy is a guest on the Free Software Foundation machines. We allow guests to run mailing lists as long as they don't consume staff time, and this one has been. I suggest you start looking for an alternate site to run this list from. - ----- Thank you to everyone who replied to me on this one. I'll keep ya posted. *NOTE* If you wrote me to unsubscribe you, and still get this message, write me another letter. It probably means tou have an alternate address subscribed, i.e., not the one from which you are sending the message to me. **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 "We like to call it 'Vogelhaus in deiner Zahle.'" --TMBG GM/MU d+(-) H s++:--->++:- !g p?>5 au- a-- w+@ v+ C+++ U-(---) P? !L !3 E? N-- K !!W---!! M+++++$ V po+@ Y+@ t+ !5 j (2.1) R+/C G'(?) tv b++ !D B- e* u** h! f* r-- n !y>!y - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 17:33:57 -0600 To: 34m4cfv@cmich.edu From: "Jonathan R. Chaffer" Subject: The TMBG list If any of you get the message that that evil guy sent out at the shutdown, could you please forward it to me? I have gotten repeated messages from digest members about not getting the message, and I think it was just sent to us insta-folk. If you could forward it back to me, I could bounce it to them. (I deleted my copy in an insane frenzy.) Thanx **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 "We like to call it 'Vogelhaus in deiner Zahle.'" --TMBG GM/MU d+(-) H s++:--->++:- !g p?>5 au- a-- w+@ v+ C+++ U-(---) P? !L !3 E? N-- K !!W---!! M+++++$ V po+@ Y+@ t+ !5 j (2.1) R+/C G'(?) tv b++ !D B- e* u** h! f* r-- n !y>!y - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 11:41:15 -0600 To: 34m4cfv@cmich.edu From: "Jonathan R. Chaffer" Subject: They Might Be on a new server! Yahoo! GFRY@aol.com has informed me that he/she has a server from which he/she can run the TMBG list. (What's your name, GFry?) The list of names has been mailed to him/her. Hope we're up and running soon! **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 "We like to call it 'Vogelhaus in deiner Zahle.'" --TMBG GM/MU d+(-) H s++:--->++:- !g p?>5 au- a-- w+@ v+ C+++ U-(---) P? !L !3 E? N-- K !!W---!! M+++++$ V po+@ Y+@ t+ !5 j (2.1) R+/C G'(?) tv b++ !D B- e* u** h! f* r-- n !y>!y - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 2 May 95 11:41 MDT From: Jenny Smith To: they-might-be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Subject: TMBG on Zima CD The song on the Zima CD is "The End of the Tour". I found this out by scrutinizing an magazine ad that showed the actual cd. Who would have figured Zima for taste? Jenny - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 15:24:31 -0600 To: 34m4cfv@cmich.edu From: "Jonathan R. Chaffer" Subject: Update Here's the current status of the Giants list: Lo and behold, Micah (our admin) lives. I have received mail from him, and he has had luck in getting a new server set up. Our problem now is coordinating our efforts. We don't want to end up with three servers for the list! Hopefully, within a week he will be able to start up the server again, and (I hope) not put those who have written me to unsubscribe back on. Over 100 people have personally written me to get them off the list, and a like number of messages have bounced. My new list of addresses is significantly reduced. I hope this address list can be the one that is used in the future. Wishing that this whole business was behind us, Jon **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 "We like to call it 'Vogelhaus in deiner Zahle.'" --TMBG GM/MU d+(-) H s++:--->++:- !g p?>5 au- a-- w+@ v+ C+++ U-(---) P? !L !3 E? N-- K !!W---!! M+++++$ V po+@ Y+@ t+ !5 j (2.1) R+/C G'(?) tv b++ !D B- e* u** h! f* r-- n !y>!y - ------------------------------ End of They-Might-Be Digest ****************************** - -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #46 *****************************************