From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #47 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Wednesday, 25 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 047 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Leo Bicknell Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:36:48 -0400 (EDT) Subject: digest 3 of 5 (fwd) Forwarded message: From cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu Wed Oct 25 21:17:19 1995 From: cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu To: bicknell@ufp.org Subject: digest 3 of 5 Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 21:16:29 EDT Sender: cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu Message-ID: <9510252116.aa26683@mc.lcs.mit.edu> X-Digestifier-Version: 2.11 Message-Id: Date: Mon, 4 Sep 95 12:17:16 EDT From: Automatic They-Might-Be Digestifier Reply-To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Errors-To: they-might-be-request Subject: They-Might-Be Digest V4 #148 To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu They-Might-Be Digest Mon, 4 Sep 95 Volume 4 : Issue 148 Today's Topics: Articficial TMBG Digest 9/2/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 8/27/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 8/28/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 8/29/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 8/30/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 8/31/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 9/1/95 TMBG Update 7/10/95 <<<<<=====-----=====>>>>> - ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Sun, 3 Sep 1995 11:49:43 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Articficial TMBG Digest 9/2/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: Stuart Parmenter Subject: TMBG What is the new album??? Stuart Parmenter sparment@mail.public.lib.ga.us ***** From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: Mail and Mario ................................................................................ Hello, I was wondering about something: If I wanted to write a short note to let John and John know how much their music has improved my life, how could I do so? I'd really like to let 'em know I care, even though they don't know me. I wrote an eight-page paper about Them at the end of last semester. I'd like 'em to read it and maybe tell me if it is at all close to the truth. Most of all though, I'd like to just let 'em know that they inspire! YAH! Scott Dodson, not Dodsen, Ben or Been. By the way Ben, welcome back. I had missed the long letters. PS- Does anyone know where the message, "Mario Speaks" is from? I got it from the TMBG page the other day and I dig it. Did TMBG make this, or was it a fan? ................................................................................ ***** From: johanna.staral@tpdome.com Subject: Tmbg i like tmbg. ***** From: johanna.staral@tpdome.com Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/30/95 Whoa! I have been in the theatre of hell lately, a passion that tends to take over my mind at let me think of nothing but show tunes, but alas I am sane once more for today is the last show of a 20 show run of the musical Dames At Sea, that i am nothing more then a meager chourus girl in, and i am sure that you were all dying to know that. The over all point is that i have been way out of tune the the johns, tho whilst i was a Show Choir Camp, i met some major giant heads and went john crazy...again. I am also ever so happy go lucky to recive this wonderful list, YEAH!!! I would like to say that I too have heard about super fuled freakcycles (sp) and am hoping i can soon get my hands on a copy, and I also have heard that they were touring but that they were not headlining, they were opening for helmet??? I dunno, i heard it from an unreliable source, but sometime in the fall they are supposed to pass my way, AND I BETTER BE THERE! that's all for now folks johanna *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** *****Currently 528 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 15:37:10 -0600 To: They-Might-Be-Lactated@chicken.wings.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/27/95 Welcome to the Artificial TMBG Mailing List! It has now been nearly a year since the Great Johns accepted applications to their Rhythm Section Want Ad and released John Henry. It has also been about half a year since the digest became defunct. I, for one, can't stand being without a digest for this long. Hence, the Artificial list. How it works: Send mail to me (Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu) with the letters TMBG as the first word in the subject. I'll stick all such messages together manually and send them out to all subscribers. To unsubscribe? Just send a message to me to that effect. Please note that this will be a moderate pain for me to administer, and as such will only be a temporary arrangement. However, the list *should* run smoothly even though it will be non-automated. It will be moderated (loosely) by me so you won't have to sort through unsubscription messages. If this arrangement sounds sucky to you, tough. Fix the situation by setting up a majordomo, dammit! Anyway, it should be up and running now. Hope this works! TTFN --Jonathan *****End of Artificial TMBG Digest***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:38:34 -0600 To: They-Might-Be-Lactated@chicken.wings.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/28/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** Subject: yay!!! From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> hey jon! thanks so much for taking some initiative. i've been going crrrazy without the digest. woo-hoo! i'm so excited. anyway, i just thought i'd say thanks. peace, anne anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu ***** Subject: SUPER FUELED FREAKSICLE From: Anne Swan As i was wandering down the street in my new home town, Austin, I met a guy who told me, wearing my Happy Chanukah shirt, that he, wearing his skull shirt, had heard that there was a new album coming out Oct 24, called Super fueled Freaksicle. Has anyone else heard anything about this? thanks for keeping the list alive!!! paul ***** Subject: -from Scott From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) ................................................................................ Hello to everyone who is still here. I am glad that Johnathan has been nice enough to set this temporary list for a while. I need to see if anyone has received their THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS information newsletter for the summer. Also, has anyone heard when the new album is coming out? It will be the new B-sides album. My brother had told me that he had heard somewhere that it'd hit stores in August, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. I really miss the old Digest, but hopefully we'll be able to have a new one. A better one. One without those who keep asking to get off of the list! Thanks again to Johnathan. Hope this works! Scott ................................................................................ ***** Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/27/95 From: Micah Anderson I am currently in the process of setting up the remains of what the TMBG list was into the statue which can get you all high once again with the list of power. What that means is that I've had too much coffee today. I've got someone who wants to maintain it (since I cannot anymore) so I am training him while I set up the list in majordomo. We've had odd happenings with coordination of the re-lifing of this list, but it should be really soon now! Micah TMBG admin ***** Subject: the REAL list From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Well, looks like the artificial list is working. Keep up the conversation! It also looks like we may have the real list set up again soon. We have had some coordination problems, but if everything works as I expect it to, we will probably have a server run by Justin Higgins on a machine maintained by Micah Anderson and have possibly a domain name provided by Leo Bicknell . Whew! Hopefully, between the three of them we will have a server running soon. Seeyas! P.S. A big Meta-Thanks to all who sent Thanks messages. :-) *****End of Artificial TMBG Digest***** *****Currently 570 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 06:59:27 -0600 To: They-Might-Be-Lactated@chicken.wings.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/29/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: Anna Bednarski Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/28/95 Hey, TMBG people! I was beginning to think you were all DEAD or something! Thank goodness I have yet ANOTHER thing to keep me away from all that #$*& studying I have to do... #1. Went to the Utopia Parkway web site. Coolness! Keep up the good work Franny et al! #2 Somebody (Anne?) said something about a "Happy Chanukah" shirt on the last list. Did TMBG do this, or is it just your own cool shirt? Either way, I'd probably buy one, even though I'm as Catholic as they come. (I love the Jewish religion. I'm such a wanta-be. Maybe I'll convert.) #3 Speaking of religion, do John & John practice any religion? If this is in the FAQ, don't answer, just leave me to actually read it and wallow in my stupidity. Later, Anna(-sthesia) *************************************************************************** Anna Bednarski Internet: abednars@indiana.edu Ashton-Mottier T216 Bloomington, IN 47406 World Wide Web -- http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~abednars/home.html ************"Minimum WAGE --- HYAH!!!" (They Might Be Giants)************** ***** Subject: Superfueled Freaksicle From: Fred Boak Someone asked about the new B-sides collection. I have a newletter that lists release dates for CD's and such, and it lists the new TMBG album "Superfueled Freaksicle" as being scheduled for release on October 24. Also, "Testimonial Dinner: A Tribute to XTC" is scheduled for release on October 17 on Beggars Banquet label. This will include TMBG performing "25 O'Clock". - - Fred. ***** From: kjolson4@students.wisc.edu (Katherine Johnna Olson) Subject: finally!!:) Thankyouthankyou thankyou for getting a list going again! Is is just coincidence, or are all "Jo(h)ns" so great? Ok, nuff said, on to a another topic: I got a new job working at a COFFE SHOP, and they even let me wear my coffee-dyed TMBG t-shirt for training. Now I can be completely caffienated as I post. WOO-Hoo!! (A we have a list again!! Oh I am so hyper.) So, has anyone heard the TMBG MMPR song? How is it? **************************************************************************** "What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form, in moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! --Hamlet, Act II scene ii "Men will lie on their backs, talking about the fall of man, and never make an effort to get up." --Henry David Thoreau, "Life Without Principle" - --kranberry ***** From: Patrick Joseph Coffman Subject: Whoo-hoo! :) Whoo-hoo, finally a TMBG mailing list :) Keep fighting the good fight.... ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Way to go, Tick! You ate that bread into submission! We'll never catch HIM...he's on a UNICYCLE! Oh yeah reach me at urmom@mcl.ucsb.edu....... Feel the POWER of TOASTY!!! ***** From: PeterWolf Subject: Singles? Hello I was wondering something....i've been hearing about this new album of b-sides coming out soon but were there any other singles released from John Henry besides Back to Skull (Snail Shell)? I know they had a song in the Power Ranger soundtrack but I really haven't heard anything since? Just wondering.....I don't know...so if you do tell me... Bobby G. ***** From: Nnicole@aol.com Subject: TMBG: Hello all Thank you, Jonathan, for doing this for us! My $.02-- Does anyone know if They are touring this year? Specifically, does anyone know if They are coming to the West Coast? We tend to be deprived of Their presence, due to the long trip necessary for Them to come. Anyone know when the new album is coming out? - -Nnicole "I don't want the world, I just want your half."--TMBG "Iris out, already, please!"-- Animaniacs ***** From: sparment@mail.public.lib.ga.us (Stuart Parmenter) Subject: YES!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have been so upset. It is great to here from everyone. Hopefully it will be up soon. YES!!!!! (I am happy???!!!) Well... Cya later.... Stuart Parmenter sparment@mail.public.lib.ga.us ***** Subject: TMBG's new Freaksicle From: James David Howat Okay, just in case no-one's beaten me to it, I recently got mail from the 'new releases' mailing list, and indeed, 'Superfueled Freaksicle' is listed for Sept 24th. Is this the new 'Misc T 2' everyone is expecting? And if anyone knows of anywhere in the UK where I can buy 'Misc T' or the video compilation, well, let me know..... Thanks. ______ __ _______ _______ __ _ _ / __ /\ / /\/ _____/\ /___ _// /\/ | / |\ / /_/ /_/ / / / /\____\/ \__/ /\/ / / |/ | | "Part lies, / ____ /\/ / / / / /\ / / / / / | | part heart, / /___/ / / / / /__/ / / ____/ / / / / /| /| | | part truth, /_______/ /_/ /______/ / /_____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ |_| | and part garbage." \_______\/\_\/\______\/ \_____\/\_\/\_\/\_\/ \_\| - Peter Buck ***** From: SrPescado@aol.com Subject: TMBG I met dem Johns and am HAPPY I think I scared Flans when I told him I was the one who yelled "I want to bear your children" but I got their signatures and am dreamy. snuck backstage at Pointfest 4 (2nd to last tour stop) with a used pass and met the Johns, got to chat with Brian, got signed by Jim O. and talked briefly to Tony. It was heaven. Flans said he liked my shirt (ENJOY the music of they might be giants) and said that he made it and got the art from an old hi-fi magazine. love your st. louis rep of fun Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch *****End of Artificial TMBG Digest***** *****Currently 558 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 21:40:43 -0600 To: They-Might-Be-Lactated@chicken.wings.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/30/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Subject: anne, anna, anne, etc hey all. i think there is a thing here: there are, as far as i know, so far, two annes and one anna on the artifi-digest. since its my name, i know its not that common. i think its a thing. cool name=cool taste in music, no? anyway, just my inane observation for the seven o'clock am hour. :) peace, anne 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu ***** From: "Brian W. Carver" Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/29/95 Is this how to reply to the NEW TMBG mailing list? I hope so. I just thought I would let folks know about the ZIMA UNCUT CD. You may have seen the advertisement on TV and said, 'WHAT?! A CD with a song by TMBG that is not available in stores?! A TMBG song from those clear-alchohol selling ZIMA people that I might not have?!' If that WAS what rushed through your mind, I'll tell you that you need not panic. The CD has 'End of the Tour' off of John Henry on it, and it is exactly the same as the album version. SO, you need not send off your four hard-earned dollars to the ZIMA folks. I am interested to hear that they had a song on the Power Rangers soundtrack. What was it? ********************************************************* Now for a randomly generated philosophical quotation... A philosophical problem has the form: 'I don't know my way about'. Brian W. Carver -- bcarver1@ua1vm.ua.edu ***** From: Silverfish Subject: This is a post. Well, I could recount the story of how my little brother screwed me out of going to see Them back on May 31 in Portland and how his news of "oh, you're not getting a ticket" happened to come on the same night that I got dumped by my girlfriend, and how this all ended up happening on Monday of Dead Week, spring term. But I don't think I will. Instead, I'll just say that I'm excited about the new album (if only for the fact that I won't have to buy the MMPR soundtrack now) and that it's great to be back, especially since I'm too lazy to post to the newsgroup unless it's really important . Kerry (aka Silverfish, Mr. Self Destruct, OzDrexsky, M_S_D on IRC) +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / "Keep an eye on me- I shimmer on horizons" + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+//-+-+-+-+-+-+- Throwing Muses +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "All this just to be your friend, I was there until the end..." - R.E.M. + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ***** Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/29/95 From: Antman yes... They are touring... I got a letter from Flans over the summer regarding my radio show and my special segment devoted to rare and hard to find tracks from them. After I got the letter, I called the Hornblow group to see if They would be willing to do a benefit concert for us. The guy there (very very rudely) said that They will be touring and won't be able to make it. Despite the fact that i know this, I don't know if They will be touring the US anytime soon... the guy at Hornblow mentioned Japan and Europe so I am guessing They will be there. Thank goodness for a new list, antman ***** Subject: Majordomo From: Jonathan Chaffer Look for a new REAL list server in the very near future. For those who have recently offered their help, it will take a little time for me to reply to each of you individually, but for now assume that your help is appreciated but not yet needed. Thanks all! - --Jon PS: We will probably be able to have the list adress be list@tmbg.org or something of the sort. A lot easier to remember, if ya ask me. *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** *****Currently 552 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 06:40:10 -0600 To: They-Might-Be-Lactated@chicken.wings.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/31/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: Anna Bednarski Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/30/95 Hi-ya! (Was that natural, or just my hapkido training?) Two things: #1 I noticed that the new digest list sends out shorter digests than the last one. I like this, because I seem to have a short attention sp... #2 Antman serenely says: >>I got a letter from Flans over the summer regarding my radio show and my special segment devoted to rare and hard to find tracks from them.<< You WHAT??? Got a LETTER from FLANS? How do you say this so calmly? I think that if I looked in my teeny little dorm mailbox and saw a letter with a return address of "John Flansburgh," I would puke with excitement right then and there. Then, I'd clean up the mess and frame the letter. I've heard that the Johns are really good about writing fans, though -- although, now that their following is so big, I doubt They could write us all personally. Sigh. Trying to study (another reason to puke), Anna(-robic) *************************************************************************** Anna Bednarski Internet: abednars@indiana.edu Ashton-Mottier T216 Bloomington, IN 47406 World Wide Web -- http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~abednars/home.html ************"Minimum WAGE --- HYAH!!!" (They Might Be Giants)************** ***** From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: glad to see it up! Hey folks, I'm glad to see the list up again! I kinda miss the TMBG chatter 8-) The newsgroup isn't quite the same as the list (although I haven't really been reading the newsgroup much). If you still need a site Jonathan, I might be able to handle the list. Anyway, I've got to catch that road movie to Berlin so I'll see yas later! - --Matt - -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ***** From: seinfeld@jungleii.com Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/29/95 I hope this is how it works. I having loads of trouble finding the TMBG video compilation and the two maxi-singles, "Why Does The Sun Shine?" and "Back To Skull"? Anyone know where they're located on the west coast, and if TMBG is going to tour the West Coast anytime soon? ***** From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: Touring? > yes... They are touring... > Despite the fact that i know this, I don't know if They will be > touring the US anytime soon... the guy at Hornblow mentioned Japan > and Europe so I am guessing They will be there. Europe? YES YES YES!!! Wow, I missed them in 1994 (they played a rather expensive, but very good festival then). Please tell me more if you know it. Another praise to the listman! ***** From: bunnrees@netcom.netcom.com (Dave Bunnell) Subject: Post Thank you Jonathan for this wonderful list. I have not sent mail before but I have enjoyed all of the postings. I just wanted to let everyone know that there is an Australian Double/CD available via the various online CD stores (http://web.yl.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/members/jeff/web/cd.html points to most of them). Apparently, it's John Henry + New York Live. So those of you who did not have a chance to get the New York Live from the Hello CD club, here's your chance! To Peter Wolf: There are many TMBG CD Singles/EP's still available. Besides Back to Skull, you can still find Why Does the Sun Shine CD-5 and Istanbul CD via the WWW CD stores. Also, Good As Any, a CD catalog, still sells the Don't Lets Start and They'll Need A Crane CD 3" mini's and then O' Tannenbaum vinyl. You can reach them at: Good As Any P.O. Box 88 Franklin, PA, 16323 818 437 5154 Dave ***** From: Patrick Joseph Coffman Subject: Go Go Power Rangers *ick, leaves a bad taste....* The song was called SenSurround, man...I never heard it tho' I've read the words, it's apparently about his memories to life as a zygote?? Weird stuff but then whaddya expect from the people who wrote a love song for cars. REminds me of Frank Black, who as we all know wrote a love song to a black hole. Whoo-hoo! I LOVE my taste in music! :) ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Way to go, Tick! You ate that bread into submission! We'll never catch HIM...he's on a UNICYCLE! Oh yeah reach me at urmom@mcl.ucsb.edu....... Feel the POWER of TOASTY!!! ***** From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: A few answers, not that I'm qualified. ................................................................................ ALL HAIL JOHNATHIN CHAFFER, KING OF THE LIST AND PRINCE OF ANAGRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone named Emmanuel Donio asked me about the summer newsletter. I just want you to know, Emmanuel, that I didn't get one. I was just wondering if TMBG had sent out a new newsletter since the last one, (the last one looked very similar to a small newspaper and included an ad for the official TMBG tour truck. Hope that rings a bell). Anyway, I just missed TMBG is all. I'm very pleased about the new album of old stuff! Can't wait. Also quite pleased about Mr. Chaffer's committment to bringing the fans of Johns together. By the way, someone had asked what song was on The Mighty Morphing Power Rangers movie. It's called "Sensurround" and it is about a phenomenon that occured in a few movie theaters in the mid-late 70's. This phenomenon had to do with vibrating seats. I was alive then, but I don't remember it. Oh well. Such is life. IT WILL BE A TMBG FALL!!! Scott ................................................................................ *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** *****Currently 547 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 09:29:58 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/1/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** Subject: Aussie CD From: Mike Longtin I got the Australian 2 CD set. The first disc is the John Henry we all know and love. The second disc is not the entire 26-track Live New York CD, but a condensed version of it. Here are the tracks: 1) Don't Let's Start 2) Ana Ng (alternate version) 3) Particle Man 4) The Statue Get Me High 5) Birdhouse in your Soul (alternate version) 6) Twistin' The sound quality is very good. Mike - -- __________________________ ________________________| |_________________________ \ Loral ADS | Mike Longtin | Tel (617)441-2055 / \ 50 Moulton St. | | FAX (617)441-2059 / ) Cambridge, MA | Software Engineer | mlongtin@ ( / 02138-1119 |________________________| camb-lads.loral.com \ /__________________________) (___________________________\ ***** From: Silverfish Subject: Singles and Videos BU| From: bunnrees@netcom.netcom.com (Dave Bunnell) - --- BK| I hope this is how it works. I having loads of trouble finding BK| the TMBG video compilation and the two maxi-singles, "Why Does BK| The Sun Shine?" and "Back To Skull"? Anyone know where they're BK| located on the west coast, and if TMBG is going to tour the West BK| Coast anytime soon? I actually find it very easy to find those maxi-singles here on the west coast, but I have never personally seen the infamous video compilation anywhere. Not that this is really important, since A) I don't have a VCR and B) I know a number of places I could order the video from. I still find it interesting that I have never seen the video before though, and I've only been exposed to two of their early videos: DLS and Puppet Head. And one more thing to share... kind of a personal triumph for me... I found a 3" unopened "Don't Let's Start" single at a Tower Records in Bellevue, WA while I was visiting up in Seattle. Not a bad deal at $3.99. Kerry +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / "Keep an eye on me- I shimmer on horizons" + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+//-+-+-+-+-+-+- Throwing Muses +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "All this just to be your friend, I was there until the end..." - R.E.M. + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ***** From: rabidchild.paulswan@mail.utexas.edu (Paul Swan) Subject: tmbg, you know, stuff One place you might look to find singles and such is Camelot music stores or Best Buy. I've had luck with both stores, and they can order a lot of stuff also. Camelot seems to still have some hidden stock of Istanbul singles somewhere, because they still sell the disk. The video compilation is a bit harder to get, you'll probably have to ask a store to order it for you, which is what I did. It is definatley worth the effort. If all these options fail, you can always fall back on the official fan club. They let you order all these things, and can deliver them in about the time it would take you to recite an entire encyclopedia a to z three times. paul ***** From: KKBOWMAN@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU Subject: ArTMBG Digest All hail king jonathan! He is good and kind and benevolent and ... um,...GOOD!!! Welp, I saw TMBG a coupla weeks ago in Lawrence (last concert of their tour ). It rocked. Anyway, at the concert I kept thinking about my lifelong dream-- to be a go-go dancer for THEY. Does anyone else share this dream? Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking pasties and a thong type of dancing, more along the 'Ana Ng' dance stuff. Spastic seizures, nerdy gyrations, and the like. I wonder if THEY'd take me touring with them. **sigh**.....just a dream i have. - -kit "I'll slice you open like a sack of wet groceries and dance on your sticky bones." --the Tick ***** Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 8/31/95 From: Antman Howdy everbody. To allay your fears anna... the letter is framed. On my toybox with all my other cool stuff... (by the way, not to brag but he sent me free cd's too. state songs and mono puff. Sorry about the no caps.) I have a question for the rest of you... I was looking through a trade mag at my station and I saw that in March on the new releases it said "Sleeping in the Flowers" was a "hot new release..." did that come out as a single? My station did not get it and I haven't seen it in stores. Always looking for rarities... your pal, Antman. ***** From: Nnicole@aol.com Subject: Re: MMPR song Hello Went into my local Blockbuster Music the other day, because they'll let you listen to any CD in the store. So I asked to listen to the MMPR soundtrack, boldly enduring the chuckles of the guy who ran the CD machines. And, after listening to Sen-Surround three times in a row, I can safely say that the song is downright nifty. It's a peppy, upbeat song with nicely offbeat lyrics. So we're all in for a real treat! I, for one, can't wait. - --Nnicole (AKA Nicole the Great AKA Driver) "When I was a zygote/ I still remember the time..."-- TMBG (Sen-Surround!) ***** From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Ben or Been has Been gone, NOW BACK! And a splendid, adjectival hello to all . . . My name is Ben or Been, sometimes called "Ben or Been" or on other occasions just one of the names, and on still other occasions, nastier little missives I care not repeat. Except to New York drivers. I do have a "love" for the music of They Might Be Giants. By expressing thus, I make myself vulnerable. But you TMBG-at-least-liking fans I feel comfortable around. I wanna hug you's. Tanks, as some in New York say. And to this Artificial list hopefully I can bring my side/experience of TMBG. (I'm just sounding way too sappy here, ya think?) Watt can I bring, you electronically ponder? In my next few posts I'll confess. Here's what's forthcoming from me: 1. I got the double-CD _John Henry_ import. I recognize the live concert on the CD, strangely enough. More details later... 2. I figured out the muffled lyrics on "SenSurround." I'll post them for all to see--kinda interesting, I think they are, especially since they start, "When I was only a zygote ..."--and I'll also give my interpretation of the song. All are welcome to interpret from the lyrics I provide, especially since I only know what SenSurround is from Scott Dodsen (or however it's spelt--sorry very much, Scott). 3. A while ago at a dead person's estate sale, I found the _Space Songs_ record, and a few weeks ago transferred some of its songs to cassette, including "Why Does The Sun Shine" and "The Ballad of Sir Isaac Newton." Those interested in obtaining copies MAY WRITE ME *PRIVATELY*. 4. And along the same lines, I have 3 1/2 songs tape-recorded from a TMBG concert broadcast "live" on Schenectady's WDRE. (Or it may have been The Underground Network. I dunno.) Those interested in obtaining copies MAY WRITE ME *PRIVATELY*. 5. I am going to try to start a Dial-A-Song through my college answering machine, on which I'll play a eclectic mix of quirkier songs by artists, or whatever I want. I think I'll change it every few days. I'll play stuff like TMBG, Moxy Fruvous (OH! You gotta check these guys out, die-hard TMBG fans...You'll "love" them, too! Check at Borders Book Store for their album, _Bargainville_, and their new album, _Wood_ (that's pro'ly in Canada)), Big Daddy, Flaming Lips, Nine Inch Richards, Tiny Tim, Big Audio Dynamite, more TMBG, heck, maybe even Dan Baird. For my phone number, WRITE ME *PRIVATELY*. *** Let's bond again, like we did last Digest. For those with short attention-spans, sorry 'bout this long post. But, still, with TMBG-love, Ben or Been benhauck@freenet.columbus.oh.us ***** Subject: Current status of the Real List From: Jon Just wanted to let y'all know that the current expected date that the list server will be up is Monday, Sept. 11. Seeyas! *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** *****Currently 529 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 10:06:15 -0400 To: 34m4cfv@cmich.edu From: "Jonathan R. Chaffer" Subject: TMBG Update 7/10/95 Here's the latest from the land of the TMBG list. I have had three separate leads on possible sites for the list. In each case, I have replied and since gotten no response. Hmm. Here's my new plea: If you can set up a majordomo server for the list, do it. Just get a list set up named "they-might-be". Then, once you have it set up, mail me. I will send a bulk mailing to all of ya's, and I will inform you of the new subscription address. I'll leave it to you to subscribe yourselves, and that way we won't have people subscribed who don't want to be. Someone help, please! My maibox is lonely! Thankee, Jon **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 "My name in print. I *am* somebody!" http://www.dnai.com/~obo/tmbg/whatsnew.html GM/MU d+(-) H s++:--->++:- !g p?>5 au- a-- w+@ v+ C+++ U-(---) P? !L !3 E? N-- K !!W---!! M+++++$ V po+@ Y+@ t+ !5 j (2.1) R+/C G'(?) tv b++ !D B- e* u** h! f* r-- n !y>!y - ------------------------------ End of They-Might-Be Digest ****************************** - -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #47 *****************************************