From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #48 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Wednesday, 25 October 1995 Volume 01 : Number 048 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Leo Bicknell Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:37:50 -0400 (EDT) Subject: digest 4 of 5 (fwd) Forwarded message: From cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu Wed Oct 25 21:18:34 1995 From: cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu To: bicknell@ufp.org Subject: digest 4 of 5 Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 21:17:26 EDT Sender: cent@mc.lcs.mit.edu Message-ID: <9510252117.aa26692@mc.lcs.mit.edu> X-Digestifier-Version: 2.11 Message-Id: Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 22:20:41 EDT From: Automatic They-Might-Be Digestifier Reply-To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu Errors-To: they-might-be-request Subject: They-Might-Be Digest V4 #149 To: They-Might-Be@gnu.ai.mit.edu They-Might-Be Digest Wed, 13 Sep 95 Volume 4 : Issue 149 Today's Topics: Artificial Ben or Been Digest 9/10/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 9/11/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 9/12/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 9/3/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 9/4/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 9/6/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 9/7/95 Artificial TMBG Digest 9/9/95 <<<<<=====-----=====>>>>> - ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 19:57:06 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial Ben or Been Digest 9/10/95 *****Begin Artificial Ben or Been Digest***** From: "my world is spinning..." (Arlo B Leach) Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/7/95 hey all- 1) can we rename this the ben or been digest? 2) i liked the longer digests (e.g. less often but with more messages) of before -- around 600 lines seems to be ideal. anyone agree? jonathan, is this something you can control? sorry for the negativity/complaining. actually i'm delighted to have the digest back, and can't wait for super fueled freaksickle! (which does, by the way, make me think of a motorcycle too.) all hail the dirt bike, - -arlo ***** From: Keith Hyman Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/7/95 Well, Johnathan and others, this is the first time I have ever been the source of a flame. I apologize for the harshness of the tone, but not for the message. And although there _was_ a suggestion of profit-taking, despite BH's promise not to do so, profit-taking is not the issue. Nuff said. I've been known to carry the torch in the march against copyright infringement of all types, including music and software piracy, and this time the flame from that torch got out of control. Why don't we find out from Them how They feel about BH's lovely little recordings idea? Nuff said again. ================================================================================ Keith Hyman | Nobody tells; everyone understands it's everybody Nashville TN 37221 USA | For Nobody. Anyone for anybody? hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| I will be responsible For Nobody. | ...Gentle Giant/The Missing Piece Jonathan said: >Anyway, the purpose of this post is not to take sides on the issue, but to >try to stem the tide of a possible flame war. Whether you agree with Ben, >Keith, or neither, try to keep the conversation on this topic civil, as I >(and many others) have heard the flames rage on this one before. ***** From: Sara Dillon Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/7/95 Jonathan: Do you know how I can get a copy of TMBG's news letter? Sara ***** From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/7/95 >From the TMBG FAQ: > Secondly, now it's free to join They Might Be Giants' Information > Club. To receive newsletters, tour dates and mail-order catalog, > write: > > TMBG Information Club > PO Box 110535 > Williamsburgh Station > Brooklyn, NY 11211-0003 > U.S.A. > > or call 914-359-0867 There ya be. - --Jon *****End Artificial Ben or Been Digest***** If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments. *****Currently 504 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 20:04:31 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/11/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: Keith Hyman Subject: Mass Availability On 11-SEP-1995 "rabidchild.paulswan@mail.utexas.edu" opined: >i don't think that Ben or Been was trying to cheat TMBG or make a profit, I >think he was just trying to make hard to find stuff available to the masses. Well, that's what record stores are for. Hard-to-find stuff can be obtained legally by mail order from any number of "stores" who do mail order via the WWW. What BH needs to do is to research where such records can be found on the net and then make these companies known to the list. This way, everybody's a winner. I don't really think he wants to make a profit! ================================================================================ Keith Hyman | Nobody tells; everyone understands it's everybody Nashville TN 37221 USA | For Nobody. Anyone for anybody? hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| I will be responsible For Nobody. | ...Gentle Giant/The Missing Piece ***** From: Keith Hyman Subject: Mass Availability For those interested in obtaining hard-to-find CDs: Try this music on-line catalog: e-mail Ranjit (ranjit@netcom.com) for info. Ranjit has been selling CDs for years. He can get just about anything you ask...prices are reported to be very competitive, too. Several other sources are out there, too. Friends, I thought being a little helpful might make up for the flame... ================================================================================ Keith Hyman | Nobody tells; everyone understands it's everybody Nashville TN 37221 USA | For Nobody. Anyone for anybody? hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| I will be responsible For Nobody. | ...Gentle Giant/The Missing Piece ***** Subject: Test of Post to Digest From: William Pat Chuss Welp, I guess I'll try my hand at posting. This will also give me the opportunity to let you all know that TMBG were on "The House of Blues" last Friday night on TBS. I'm sure it was a re-run of the original on that ran several months ago, but I didn't get to see it then. I for one was not totally impressed with the lads on this outting. They did "Istanbul" pretty well, and "No One Knows My Plan" came off decently. Mr. Flansburg did a fine job on "The Guitar", but Linnell's backing vocals left much to be desired. I mean I thought they were downright sour. Still it was cool to see them on cable TV. I was a bit bummed that they devoted most of the show to the act in LA (I forget her name, but she was a snooze). Since I don't want the FBI pounding down my door, I'm not even going to offer a copy of the tape of the show. You'll all just have to bring a six-pack of beer over to my place, and watch it with me while I sit around in my underwear picking my butt. 8-) Pat "No thank you please I'm only looking. I don't believe we've met before. I guess I've died and went to heaven. Or else I'm looking out my nose." -David Byrne- ***** From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Some thoughts from Mr. Conception Ben or Been here, quite queasy. I have Been away from my e-mail for three days. I just viewed all fifteen of my messages, and read the discussion of the "pirating," as it has Been labeled. I apologize for the offense. I have decided from the arguments presented to withdraw the offer I proposed. The first letter, which did sound rather extreme I believe--the letter outlining the possible outcome of pirating--did knock some sense into me. I would happily make a taped copy of a record for a friend on campus, or for my brother if he so desired, but using e-mail and other people whom I have not met to circulate the tapes (without profit, I insist) would not be, overall, a good, "maybe moral's the word" thing to do. I do side that circulating material by TMBG (that is for sale) on a carbon-copy cassette would only be bad *minutely* for TMBG. But what is the problem circulating a radio recording? Or an out-of-print record? And its music? To a small group of friends? Regardless of the answers to those questions, I withdraw my offer. I commend noble Jonathan for watching the Artificial Digest and my hiney. All those who sent me e-mail on the offer, I will contact you within the next few days privately. If you've already sent something in the US snail mail, we'll work it out. I'm an honest guy. I apologize for the problem. I am happy that there were people looking out for the interests of our country (I mean the US) and of TMBG. Let the discussion of my offer on the Artif-Digest cease. I want to thank you for putting me back in my place. Ben or Been *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** Too late or soon to make noise about love and there's no time for sorrow. Run around in the rain with a hole in the brain 'til tomorrow. *****Currently 504 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 12 Sep 1995 22:11:16 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/12/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: Matthew James Subject: 8 page paper To Scott Dodson: You could scan in your paper with a scanner seeing as you cannot find the disk, wouldn't that be fun? ;) - --Matt - -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ***** From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: Re: Artificial Ben or Been Digest 9/10/95 > >From the TMBG FAQ: > > > Secondly, now it's free to join They Might Be Giants' Information > > Club. To receive newsletters, tour dates and mail-order catalog, > > write: > > > > TMBG Information Club > > PO Box 110535 > > Williamsburgh Station > > Brooklyn, NY 11211-0003 > > U.S.A. How often do the newsletters come out? I wrote, and got one issue, but that seems like a looong time ago. Any ideas? Aside: Thanks for the effort Jonathan. - -- John J. Pletikapich john@msd.measurex.com ***** From: seinfeld@jungleii.com Subject: reply to digest. Hmm. Well. This seems to have sparked a definite response, not the kind I think Ben or Been wanted. He did say he wasn't trying to make profit, I guess it is sort of illegal (which is sort of to be debated) and Jon, the gracious provider of this list doesn't want to see anyone get flamed and still keep the "smell of love" wafting everywhere in cyberspace. Maybe the order form was a bit extreme, but maybe he is providing a service to those who can't get to the CD's. From personal experience, stores in Southern California will either sell all John Henry albums, or have the self-titled Pink Album, or only Flood. (And only one copy at that.) Some of the albums Ben or Been mentioned are really hard to find here, so TMBG aren't going to make any money off it, since it's not here to be sold. Just my 2 cents. ------------------------ How come DOS never says EXCELLENT command or file name? ***** From: "Gallagher , Kevin J" Subject: Concert dates Priority: normal Does anyone have concert dates for the Giants? Especially(sp) ones in Philly. I saw them in NY back on April 1, and LOVED it. I really want to go see them again. I hpoe they are still on tour!!! -Kevin- ***** From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: Info club Speaking of the info club newsletter, I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with getting them. I signed up for the thing last April (of course, enclosing a check for $2 and THEN finding out that it's free now), and in July I got the Fall/Winter '94 issue. I haven't received anything else since then. It just seems a little weird that in five months, all I've received was one very outdated newsletter (I mean, not that it wasn't cool or anything; Linnell's anagrams rocked :) ). Is anybody else having this problem? just wonderin', - --Tara - -- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* * | "eVeRy jUMbLeD PiLe oF peRSoN hAs a * * Tara Weber | tHiNKiNg paRt tHaT woNdeRs wHat tHe paRt * * 00085244@bigred.unl.edu| tHaT isN't tHiNkinG iSn't tHiNKiNg oF." * * | --tHeY MiGhT bE giAnTS * *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* ***** Subject: Yet another Particle Man parody From: Chris Bongaarts This recently made the Usenet Oracle's Oracularities list. Those not familiar with the Oracle need to know that there is a certain question involving woodchucks that is forbidden from being asked (directly, at least). I've included the Oracle's response, though it is from a Van Halen song and not They. I didn't write either. Oh, and nice to see all of you again. In the immortal words of the Usenet Oracle: >Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 10:35:31 -0500 >From: "Usenet Oracle" >Subject: Usenet Oracularities #773 > >#773 > >To find out all about the Usenet Oracle, including how to participate, >send mail to oracle@cs.indiana.edu with the word "help" in the subject >line. [...] >--- 773-08 --------------------------------------------------------------- >Selected-By: gt2126b@prism.gatech.edu (Bill) > >The Usenet Oracle has pondered your question deeply. >Your question was: > >> WOODCHUCK MAN >> a song by >> They Might Be Supplicants >> ---- ----- -- ----------- >> >> Woodchuck Man, Woodchuck Man >> Doing the things a Woodchuck can >> What's he like? It's not important >> Woodchuck Man >> >> Is he calm? Or running amuck? >> When he's in wood, does he chuck? >> Or does the wood get him instead? >> Nobody knows. >> Woodchuck Man >> >> Oracle Man, Oracle Man >> Oracle Man hates Woodchuck Man >> They have a fight, Oracle wins. >> Oracle Man >> >> Supplicant Man, Supplicant Man >> Really Annoying Supplicant Man >> Usually asks about Woodchuck Man >> Supplicant Man >> >> He's got a watch with a minute hand, >> Millenium hand and an eon hand >> When they meet it's a happy land >> Powerful man, Supplicant Man >> >> Oracle Man, Oracle Man >> Oracle Man hates Supplicant Man >> They have a fight >> Oracle wins > >And in response, thus spake the Oracle: > >} Why Won't You Shut Up >} by Van Oracle >} --------------------- >} >} Oh, another one, >} A silly question again >} Wasting all my time, >} Every time we tak >} >} No matter how >} Many times I begin >} You always ask >} Way too much >} >} Hey, I'm an Oracle >} I'm sick of it all >} Same ol' questions every day >} >} Fix all of your mistakes? >} So tell me Why won't you shut up? >} Without any thought, >} Oh tell me Why won't you shut up? >} >} Figure it out yourself >} Foolish supplicant >} Stupid questions >} Always ruin my day >} >} Oh, I know >} The answers to everything >} But wnough's enough >} Now please just go away! >} >} Oh, I'm an Oracle >} I am immortal >} Still you bother me every day >} >} Oh, you're such a disgrace >} So tell me Why won't you shut up? >} Zot right in your face >} Oh tell me Why won't you shut up? >} >} < Insert Cool Oracle Solo Here > >} >} I've got what it takes, >} So tell me Why won't you shut up? >} Usually in bad taste >} Oh, tell me Why won't you shut up. >} >} Tell me Why won't you shut up? >} Got to know Why won't you shut up? >} I wanna know Why won't you shut up?!?!?! ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cbongaar@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h! !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** Siftin'...Siftin'...Siftin'...Siftin'! *****Currently 502 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 10:52:29 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/3/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: vdanklef@facstaff.wisc.edu Subject: 8-page TMBG paper? Scott Dodson wrote: <> An 8-page TMBG paper? Details, please, Scott. And a big thanks to Jonathan for his perseverence and hard work. We appreciate it. Vix Vicki Sullivan Danklefsen ------------------------------------------------ CHS Public Affairs 758 WARF (608) 263-3466 610 Walnut Fax: (608) 263-6394 Madison WI 53705 *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** *****Currently 524 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 06:29:05 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/4/95 *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: Opus Subject: RE: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/3/95 Hey, kids, I didn't want to post to this unless i had something important to say becuase I'm sure Jonathan (our hero!) has enough spam to deal with. But I can truly say I have something of monumental importance to say now, so I will say it. My parents just got back from a boat cruise of the mediteranean (No, they can't afford to send me to college, though). They stopped at Istanbul. They got me (get ready for it)........ A FEZ. Yes, I am in possestion of the most coveted of TMBG headwear, the ever-nifty fez. Authentic, from Istanbul (not constantinople). The other day, I was wearing my fez and eating pez, and I was truly in heaven. They also were in some part of Bulgaria where bootleg CDs run rampant and they said they saw a TMBG bootleg there, but they couldn't remember what it was. I'm sure just a copy of one of their albums, made cheap and sold cheap on the black market. But it is good to know there is enough demand in Bulgaria for TMBG to warrent a bootleg. Send all monkeys to me. opus ***** From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/3/95 ................................................................................ Hello everyone, I'm sorry that I didn't go into any detail about the paper I wrote about TMBG. I wasn't sure that anyone would care about it. I did mucho research for it, and by the time my professor finished reading it, he was a TMBG fan! I included a tape, which accompanied the paper. It included a section of songs which I specifically refered to in my paper. It also included a section with songs that I just dig! I called that side, "PURE LISTENING ENJOYMENT". My paper is called, "They Might Be Postmodernists". It focuses on the methods by which They Might Be Giants uses its position in "low" culture to forward radical political ideologies. Perhaps I will post some of it sometime. Johanna, who is a member of this list, has about half of it. I sent it to her in May. Soon after that, I moved, and I still haven't found the disk where the rest of the paper is. I have the printed-out version, but obviously, I cannot simply click and copy that and send it to the list. Not to mention the fact that I'd sort of feel wierd about so many people that I don't know reading a six-page paper that was written for my Narrative Strategies class. So, if anyone wishes to hear any of the paper, you can email me, and maybe we can work something out. I don't expect anyone to be THAT interested, but who knows. I know that if I knew that someone else on this list had written a scholarly TMBPaper, I'd want to see it. On a subject that does not really involve me as much, I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THE NEW CD COMES OUT!!!!! I think that I will have a party. You are all invited. Even Ben or Been. (Just kidding Been). By the way, I too set up a Dial-a-song this summer. I got an extra call notes mail box. Only four bucks. I guess that the TMBG fans think alike! Scott ................................................................................ *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** *****Currently 523 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 15:43:00 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/6/95 The Artificial TMBG Digest FAQ, part one: Q. Was there a digest for 9/5/95? A. Nope. *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Moutain Stage Recording Ben or Been here . . . Okay, I was a fool and I paid $16 for the Mountain Stage CD that has a live performance of "Particle Man" on it. It's a great version, better than the one on the Aussie import CD5. The clarinet (I think it's a clarinet) for the interludes is whimsical, like a super-fueled freaksicle! And, buy the weigh, what does super-fueled freaksicle mean TO YOU? I get images of a super-sugary, super-sticky, orange popsicle that is all webbed with Stick, gooey and just not that great looking. A hyper treat! Und du? Lovingly, lathering, Ben or Been ***** From: johanna.staral@tpdome.com Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/4/95 Is it? Could it really be? It IS! OPUS!! My lost love! Where have you been?? I have been looking despertly for you!!!! And once agian it is the power of they might be giants that has brought us together!! Hooray! love banana sorry this was not tmbg related. ***** From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: Moutain Stage Recording >And, buy the weigh, what does super-fueled freaksicle mean TO YOU? I can't help thinking of some souped up motorcycle, like a Max Maxian contraption. Then again, that would be a freakCYCLE, wouldn't it. Oh well. ***** From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Lovely little recordings from Ben or Been Dear everyone, including Clinton, Gore, Hussein, and Buddha, This is kinda a form letter, so don't think you're special that you're getting a personal reply from Ben or Been. This is going out to several. Just smile and read as I try to make this a letter for "everyone" . . . What I'm trying to do is work out a plan for your obtaining copies of hard-to-find TMBG related stuff I have. I want to do this so no big money is exchanged, no profit is made by me. The only money that will have to be exchanged would be for mailing costs (but you can supply the stamps), the mailing pouch (only $0.25, i.e., a quarter), and the blank cassette (which you may gladly send to me). What I plan on doing is making a master copy of my hard-to-find TMBG stuff and copying it onto others' tapes, so everyone will get everything the same and so that when the police get me for bootleggin' (if indeed I am, who knows?), they'll know I only have one master copy and not five different ones. I'll send whoever requests ONE to that whomever. Also, on the second side, I'll include a special selection of what you guys wanna hear from my musical collection. I've some music I think TMBGers would like, and I'll gladly make a cassette copy of it for you. So, what do you do to get this tape? First, write me via e-mail, with everything I request below, in your message. I'll respond to say I've received your message as soon as I read my e-mail (daily, to every three days, depending on my busyness). Then, mail from your Post Office or home address the stuff I request for making the tape. I'll handle your order promptly, and mail it back to you. Easy! Happiness for (a length of time)! Here are the instructions: (well, to make life easier, I'll put the instructions in another e-mail message to you) Enjoy life, drink TMBG, Ben or Been ***** From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: The instructions for mailing (really long) These are the instructions, a continuation of my previous post . . . Please, if you have the function, forward this message back to me, *COMPLETED*, so I can find all the lil' pieces of info easily. *****INSTRUCTIONS***** 1. Read this message entirely and e-mail me if you have questions. There may be glitches. 2. Fill out your order. Mark the appropriate column below. What Ben or Been needs . . . . . . . Ben or Been will supply/I'll supply Mailing pouch (value 25 cents) / Cassette (TDK 90min--my campus value $2.00) / Postage of 5 32-cent stamps (value $1.60) / Photocopies of: (write "I want" or "I don't want" below) sheet music for "Why Does the Sun Shine?" _____________(20cents) sheet music for "Ballad of Sir Isaac Newton" _____________(30cents) album cover in black+white, on 4 sheets, Front/Back _____________(40cents) 3. Add up the total you're sending me. If you marked in the "Ben or Been will supply" column, you mean that you want me to buy the supplies which also means you are sending me the money for them. Also, add up the photocopies charge if you want standard photocopies from the album. 4. Type your total here: _________ I'll verify it via e-mail. 5. If you marked in the "I'll supply" column, you mean that you will be sending me the supplies you marked. If you're giving me some things and want me to supply others, be sure and send the money! 6. Look on this list for music you might like included on the back of your cassette, if you'd like anything put on it. If you want it left blank, say so. Mark in front of what you want, but don't exceed 45 minutes: CHOICES: (Blank) (Mix a tape for me) Soundtrack to _You Are What You Eat_ (featuring two Tiny Tim songs, funny!) (approx. 30 min) Moxy Fruvous _Bargainville_ (over 45 min., I'll put good songs) Moxy Fruvous "Cassette Sampler for _Wood_" (15 min?) Big Audio Dynamite II _Ally Pally Paradiso_ (over 45min., same for Moxy) Big Audio Dynamite II _On the Road '92_ (15 min?) Soul Coughing _Ruby Vroom_ (45 min-60 min, I think) Young Fresh Fellows (the album starts with an R, can't 'member title) (over 45min., same for Moxy) Frank Black _Teenager of the Year_ (over 60 min, I'll mix 'em) Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers (I'll select good songs, over 45min.) TMBG stuff on CD: Back to Skull Why Does the Sun Shine? I Palindrome I Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Misc. T John Henry (Aussie and US--same sound) (the self-titled pink album) 7. Now that you've selected what you want, if anything, on the back of your tape, you can see what you're getting on the front side of the tape. I'll record for you, in not necessarily this order: The Aussie import live CD The 3-1/2 live songs I recorded from WDRE "SenSurround" "Particle Man (Live)" from the Mountain Stage CD "Why Does the Sun Shine" from _Space Songs_ "The Ballad of Sir Isaac Newton" from _Space Songs_ "The King of Wingo" and the Dial-A-Song intro, recorded from an answering machine 8. Mail me. Insert a short list mentioning: * what supplies you want, and what you're giving me * the money (cash preferred, checks accepted; nothing else for money!) * what you want on side B * your e-mail address * your return address Checks payable to Ben Hauck. Incomplete orders will be delayed. Mail all this stuff to: Ben or Been Hauck Box 10725 Otterbein College Westerville, OH 43081-2006 Love, Ben or Been PS--If you would rather TRADE, write me back. I'm one for copies on audio cassette. I like live stuff and rarities. Looking for Dr. Spock and the 85 demo! *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** *****Currently 514 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 9 Sep 1995 07:41:17 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/7/95 Note: due to problems with my mail client, only about half of you got this digest the first time it was sent. If at first you don't succeed... *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: Keith Hyman Subject: Re: Lovely little recordings from Ben or Been Ben Hauck, you have a LOT of GALL not to mention audacity (and perhaps stupidity) to publicly promote yourself as a music copyright PIRATE. Certainly you must know that TMBG makes their LIVING from the legitimate sales of records containing Their music and from other items, yet you would take it upon yourself to publicly set up your *own* "record company," advertise and market your pirated goods for sale (including order forms, no less!), pocket whatever profit results (and no, just because you may _not_ profit from this activity neither excuses nor protects you. Hey, bug, you ain't doin' none of US a favor by offering TMBG products behind Their back, no way. What you ARE doing is infringing on their copyrights and depriving them of income They might otherwise realize. And get a clue, friend: it's not the police who will come knocking at your door. Get ready to greet the FBI. The FBI handles copyright infringement cases. And it's the Marshall's deputies who will serve you a warrant and immediately proceed to confiscate all your computer equipment, records, CDs, recording equipment, you name it. You and perhaps others may be laughing. Go ahead, have a laugh. Saner people know it's no laughing matter. Show some respect for Them and others. Pull out while you can. Rescind your "offer." Ben wrote: >Dear everyone, including Clinton, Gore, Hussein, and Buddha, > >This is kinda a form letter, so don't think you're special that you're >getting a personal reply from Ben or Been. This is going out to several. >Just smile and read as I try to make this a letter for "everyone" . . . > >What I'm trying to do is work out a plan for your obtaining copies of >hard-to-find TMBG related stuff I have. I want to do this so no big money is >exchanged, no profit is made by me. The only money that will have to be >exchanged would be for mailing costs (but you can supply the stamps), the >mailing pouch (only $0.25, i.e., a quarter), and the blank cassette (which >you may gladly send to me). *Gratuitous quoting removed beyond this point* ***** From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: Lovely little recordings from Ben or Been This topic has been the subject of much debate, not to mention flaming, in the past. I must say that while Keith's point is well taken, it was a bit rude to accuse Ben of making a profit when he specifically said that he would not be. I don't know, maybe it was a bad night when Keith wrote it. It would definitely fit in the category of a flame, even if the facts are straight (I'm sure most of them are, but whether a band is directly hurt from pirating has been often debated.) Perhaps the tone could be softened a bit? Anyway, the purpose of this post is not to take sides on the issue, but to try to stem the tide of a possible flame war. Whether you agree with Ben, Keith, or neither, try to keep the conversation on this topic civil, as I (and many others) have heard the flames rage on this one before. Yours peacefully, Jonathan *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change. *****Currently 508 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 9 Sep 1995 21:54:01 -0600 To: All-You-Giantheads-Out-There@every.where.across.the.net From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/9/95 No, there was no digest for 9/8/95. *****Begin Artificial TMBG Digest***** From: Thomas Murphy Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/7/95 Johnathan, I don't see how you could say "oh dont start a flame war" when some lowly bootlegger tries to sent up shop on your list. I mean offering xerox copies of sheet music is especially low. I would think that Ben or Been should be severly reprimanded BY YOU as you are the current custodian of this list. If i were maintaining the list he would be OUT, no questions no comments. *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. S.L.C. 1884 Thomas Murphy a010879t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us On Sat, 9 Sep 1995, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > This topic has been the subject of much debate, not to mention flaming, in > the past. I must say that while Keith's point is well taken, it was a bit > rude to accuse Ben of making a profit when he specifically said that he > would not be. I don't know, maybe it was a bad night when Keith wrote it. > It would definitely fit in the category of a flame, even if the facts are > straight (I'm sure most of them are, but whether a band is directly hurt > from pirating has been often debated.) Perhaps the tone could be softened > a bit? > > Anyway, the purpose of this post is not to take sides on the issue, but to > try to stem the tide of a possible flame war. Whether you agree with Ben, > Keith, or neither, try to keep the conversation on this topic civil, as I > (and many others) have heard the flames rage on this one before. > > Yours peacefully, > Jonathan ***** From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: Re: Artificial TMBG Digest 9/7/95 A couple thoughts. >I don't see how you could say "oh dont start a flame war" when some lowly >bootlegger tries to sent up shop on your list. I mean offering xerox >copies of sheet music is especially low. I don't want a flame war on *any* topic, including this one. I didn't say that I didn't want discussion, I just said I didn't want flames. >I would think that Ben or Been should be severly reprimanded BY YOU as >you are the current custodian of this list. Perhaps I am at fault for sending the form out to the rest of you; However, it is not my place (I feel) to reprimand people for sending mail to others. I have tried to be nice to those who don't want the "junk mail" that this list generates, and to promptly unsubscribe them. >If i were maintaining the list he would be OUT, no questions no comments. With all due respect, glad you're not maintaining the list. No reason to shut someone out of a discussion arena like this for something like that. Perhaps he shouldn't have sent it: that's OK to say. But love the sinner, hate the sin. If a person causes problems, I can quite easily not post their offending comments while still allowing them to post civil discussion and hear the replies their posts generate. Love people are there, the smell of love is everywhere. Comments are WELCOME, but flames are not. That is still my position, and I still feel that it is a just one. - --Jon ***** From: alittlew@reed.edu (Littlewood) Subject: LP Sales? Does anyone know out there in A. List land that knows what the sales of all the albums are? I know that Flood went gold, and maybe JH did too, but I just havn't seen any records.. I'm most interested in knowing, thanks. PS Jon: Thanks for the list! *****End Artificial TMBG Digest***** Everything is catching on fire! *****Currently 508 Subscribers***** **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ - ------------------------------ End of They-Might-Be Digest ****************************** - -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #48 *****************************************