From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #5 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Thursday, 21 September 1995 Volume 01 : Number 005 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: kjolson4@students.wisc.edu (Katherine Johnna Olson) Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 10:54:37 -0500 Subject: giant babies Hmmm, if embyros could listen to TMBG, how would they turn out? Well, I don't think they'd turn out to be quite as quirky as the lyrics, since it is the music , rather than the language they'd respond to (they don't understand it yet any way). Though I suppose they might have a tendency to develop a good vocabulary over time. They would probably also acquire an awesome, eclectic taste for music. I can see upbeat, outgoing personalities, nice senses of rhythm. Boy, I bet they'd be really cute kids! Now to completely change the subject, do any of you ever try to sing TMBG songs in other languages (and I don't just mean the ones that are already Germanized). It's lots of fun. My sister and I switch them into spanish, and it gives a really interesting effect. (kinda tricky,too) Of course, most of the word plays don't translate well, but you get some new ones, too. Try it sometime! **************************************************************************** "What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form, in moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! --Hamlet, Act II scene ii "Men will lie on their backs, talking about the fall of man, and never make an effort to get up." --Henry David Thoreau, "Life Without Principle" - --kranberry ------------------------------ From: obo@hopf.dnai.com (Bo Orloff) Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 09:19:57 -0700 Subject: re: Getting in touch with the Johns Adam P. Fistler (apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com) wrote: > Does any one have a clue on getting in contanct with the jonhs? I have an > idea for a Hotel Detective video game and I was just wonder (if and when) I > decide to go through with it if I could use some of thier music (and if > possable them). You should contact TMBG's management, the Hornblow Group USA: snail mail: PO Box 176 Palisades, NY 10964 email: VBreezy@aol.com (Note- they don't always check their email all that often, so don't expect an immediate reply.) - -- Bo Orloff ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 12:44:05 EST Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #3 > Supposedly the next album is supposed to be more like the older stuff, but > still with the full band. I think they could have pulled off the End of the > Tour, but they would not have been able to perform it live as well without > the full band. NEXT ALBUM?!?!?!?!?!?!? When, Where, What is it called? how did you hear about it? what do you know about it? ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 12:42:47 EST Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #3 > I like the fuller band sound, but I wish they would do more of the old stuff and > use the accordian more than they did in JH. > > But they could have pull off end of the tour. They could have hired the old people > from the They'll need a craine video. If you've noticed, each album has a distinctly different sound from all of the other albums. JH was just their experiment with a more traditional band. I have a feeling that in time, they will mix it up more, and add the accordion to the band on some songs, and leave the band completely out of other songs. In an interview snipet from Live in the house of Blues, Linnell said that they are always trying new things. JH was just something they hadn't done before. ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 14:09:35 EDT Subject: Re: giant babies > Hmmm, if embyros could listen to TMBG, how would they turn out? Well I think they would turn out shy with tendencys to play the accordian. Thats an intresting idea for an exeperemnt. Someone care to see it through? ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 14:27:18 EST Subject: Re: giant babies > > Hmmm, if embyros could listen to TMBG, how would they turn out? > > Well I think they would turn out shy with tendencys to play the accordian. > Thats an intresting idea for an exeperemnt. Someone care to see it through? > I would, If I thought I was going to be pregnant in the near future. ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "ejc1" Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 14:41:28 EDT Subject: Song Interps! With all the talk about The End of the Tour... a group of TMBG heads got together and went to NYC this summer and Email'ed a couple of Newsgroup posters with their experience. When they went by the Statue-of-Liberty one of them broke into "There is a girl with crown and a septer..." which may have unlocked the mystery as to what THEY are writing about in that song (well what else could it be?) :) I bring this up because I may have tied another NYC attraction (where J&J live) to a TMBG song. In a recent (this month's?) Reader's Digest there was an article on the SR-71 Blackbird Spy Plane of which there is one on display at the USS Intrepid Air and Space Museum on Manhattan's west side. As I was reading the article I kept singing "I see you from my spy plane baby...". Now the submarine fits in because next to the Intrepid is a WWII sub which you can look down on from the top of the carrier. (well it COULD have been their inspiration) :) The other obvious NYC lanmark the John's make reference to is Flushing Meadows, site of the 1964 World's Fair. Can anyone think of any others? You may have to stretch your imagination a bit but don't work it will return to it's original shape. Be young. Have Fun. Drink Something. Erik Chuss Bellcore, Inc. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 14:45:02 EDT Subject: Re: giant babies > > > Hmmm, if embyros could listen to TMBG, how would they turn out? > > > > Well I think they would turn out shy with tendencys to play the accordian. > > Thats an intresting idea for an exeperemnt. Someone care to see it through? > > > I would, If I thought I was going to be pregnant in the near future. While were on this subject is anyone reminded of "For Science"? Someone would be like yeah I got my girlfriend pregnent for science... ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 14:53:23 EST Subject: Re: giant babies > While were on this subject is anyone reminded of "For Science"? Someone would > be like yeah I got my girlfriend pregnent for science... I thought that song was about one of the John's being an alien's love slave. Hey! maybe he got her pregnant, and that embryo listened to TMBG in the womb! ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 15:06:05 EDT Subject: Re: giant babies > > While were on this subject is anyone reminded of "For Science"? Someone would > > be like yeah I got my girlfriend pregnent for science... > > I thought that song was about one of the John's being an alien's love > slave. Hey! maybe he got her pregnant, and that embryo listened to > TMBG in the womb! It was about Flans alien love slave affair type thing. I just mentioned it beacuse of the title of the song. ------------------------------ From: dodsonsblehproductions@mail.utexas.edu (Scott Dodson) Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 02:34:47 +0700 Subject: Paper ................................................................................ Hello, It's me, Scott. I found the disk that has my paper about TMBG. I thought that I might post a bit of it here if no one minds. Maybe a page or two. Then, folks can write me if they want to hear the rest of it. No plagarism please. Please let me know if you don't want me to post part of my paper here. I don't want anyone to get mad at me. Scott ................................................................................ ------------------------------ From: William Pat Chuss Date: Thu, 21 Sep 95 13:06:11 PDT Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #4 (fwd) Forwarded message: > > From: Anna Bednarski > Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 16:55:26 -0500 (EST) > Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #3 > > Ben or Been, while on some serious drugs, said, > > >>>If a baby in the womb were incubated with the sounds of TMBG, how would > the baby turn out? > Male or female? OK, my gal and I just had a baby boy (9/22/95), and he got to listen to all types of music while hanging out in the womb. He most definitely became more active when upbeat tunes like TMBG were playing in the room. He also loved orange Koolaid. When mom would drink it while listening to TMBG, well it was a regular party in there. > Rowdy or calm? Maybe too early to tell for this, but so far he seems pretty darn content. Though he thrashes like some of the best moshers I've seen. Still can't pogo yet, but man can he nuk-nuk. > Bearded or clean-shaven? Not bearded, but Riley was born with tons of hair (and he's not losing it like the pediatrician said he would). Cool, baby fine, stick up and rooster type hair! He's the cutest man! > Creative or psychotic? Definitely creative, and pretty psychic as well. Everytime we're just about to sit down to dinner he wakes up for a feeding. Oh, that was psychotic. Nevermind. > Etc.? He still seems to love his TMBG, though I believe he likes my acoustic guitar renditions more than the originals, but hey I'm quite the enter- tainer. 8-) I can't wait to take him to his first TMBG show. Our seven- year-old girl loved them when we took her. > > It would definitely be a > coffee-drinker, even in its bottle (lots o' cream to start out with). Nah, I'm only a one cup a day daddy, and mom hates the stuff. Now beer, that's another story. > She's cool, though, and luckier than all of > us, b/c *SHE'S* on one of TMBG's album covers. > > Pat(hetic) "Gotta little baby. Cutest thing I got. But man-o-man that baby. Sure can shit alot." - Me ------------------------------ From: Jay Crockett -- General Purpose Confused Person Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 15:25:52 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Question of the Day In response to the question of the day(Big band vs. Casio), I say Accordian : Yes. Cheesy Drum effects : No. I like the full band sound, I just thought they used the horn section a wee bit too much. Hey the list is up! woo hoo! So whats the latest gossip on the upcoming Misc. T-2? Any sign of a 2nd video compilation. I can't believe they didn't put one out, as popular as Flood was. jay c sigless ------------------------------ From: engj@ix.netcom.com Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 13:48:41 -0700 Subject: Re: pennies from heave At 06:59 PM 9/20/95 EDT, you wrote: >Does anyone have a copy of the TMBG Live in New York cd that they would be willing to sell? > > I have a couple. Leave me some E-Mail and I will be happy to discuss this with you. Mister Me ------------------------------ From: engj@ix.netcom.com Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 16:38:08 -0700 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #3 At 04:55 PM 9/20/95 -0500, you wrote: > >Ben or Been, while on some serious drugs, said, > >>>>If a baby in the womb were incubated with the sounds of TMBG, how would >the baby turn out? > Male or female? > Rowdy or calm? > Bearded or clean-shaven? > Creative or psychotic? > Etc.? > >Perhaps you've heard the studies about how music affects the (alive) >unborn baby. Classical music is thought to make a cryless baby, in poetic >terms.<<< > >>>>Any pregnant ones fans of TMBG? > >And, in continuation of my previous post, how would a baby be affected by >aural stimulation in the womb with the sounds of Linnell and Flansburgh?<<< > > >Hey, now, just remember, Ben -- usually a woman isn't showing much until at >LEAST half of the pregnancy is overwith. As for the TMBG-pregnancy >thing, I fully intend to find out, wheneer my fiance and I agree to hae >kids. Wait five years, and I'll publish a paper like that one dude one >the list did. > >I bet a baby raised on TMBG would have big social problems, b/c it would >be a lot more mature than other kids. It would definitely be a >coffee-drinker, even in its bottle (lots o' cream to start out with). >Then again, I heard that the John Henry girl was a child of some friends >of the Johns. I wonder if *SHE* heard TMBG in the womb. That's probably >why she looks so pensive. She's cool, though, and luckier than all of >us, b/c *SHE'S* on one of TMBG's album covers. > >Question of the day: > >TMBG -- do you like the full band sound, or would you go back to their John, >John, accordian, and Casio days? > >Just wondering, > >Anna(lytical) >*************************************************************************** >Anna Bednarski Internet: abednars@indiana.edu >Ashton-Mottier T216 Bloomington, IN 47406 > World Wide Web -- http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~abednars/home.html >************"Minimum WAGE --- HYAH!!!" (They Might Be Giants)************** > > > > I would like to go back to the John and John days. I even like them in concert better back then. Just one opinion. Mister Me ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #5 ****************************************