Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest Digest #1-50 They Might Be Giants Digest Digest, Volume 1, Number 50 Saturday, 28 October 1995 Today's Topics: Re: Freaksicle First experience. (none) Re: your mail First Time Freaky JH girl new newsletter!! Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #41 (fwd) Re: Purple Toupee Revisited Re: Purple Toupee Revisited Re: Purple Toupee Revisited menorahs IRC Re: menorahs songs on the air Hello club. Their Server Might Need Fixing Re: Their Server Might Need Fixing Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 26 Oct 95 09:42:59 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Freaksicle Yep the album did get put on the Elektra slide. Everytime you ask elektra about it they'll just inorge you. In mail order catalog they said Freaksickle was comming out soon so it was a REAL album. Just elektra thought'd it be a good idea to self it cuz they heard Bush or some other tredny band wanted to make a new collection of mindless dribble. So it will probally be a while (if at all) it comes out. Probally around the same time as Crap (thier unrelased song LP they're making) comes out. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 08:55:02 -0500 (CDT) From: The Artist Formerly known as Joe Subject: First experience. The first time I heard They Might Be Giants was on Doctor Demento. In 1990 they played Birdhouse in your Soul. It was so much different than most of the kiddie crap they play on that show so I bought the CD. and the rest as they say is history. TAFKAJ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Oct 95 09:47:39 EDT From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) > its good to see so many of you have seen the light, and endorsed persephone. > those of you who still haven't, vote. vote so that you can make a > difference. vote for a better tomorrow. vote persephone. > Not to be ingornat or anything... But whats the point? The new name will just be over-ruled the next time this thread comes up. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:14:21 -0500 (CDT) From: The Artist Formerly known as Joe Subject: Re: your mail Make my vote Alice ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 15:14:35 -0500 (CDT) From: Brad Tutterow Subject: First Time The first time I heard TMBG was that classic Animaniacs where they do little videos with "Particle Man" and "Istanbul". I immediatley rushed to the record store to buy the album, but didn't have enough money. I bought it later. ____________________ -BRAd ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 17:13:32 -0400 (EDT) From: David Vogelgesang <924304@xavier.xu.edu> Subject: Freaky JH girl It's Persephone. 'Nuff said. Ziggy === I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes === me right up. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 15:23:33 -0700 (PDT) From: Jason Weiner Subject: new newsletter!! Random thoughts on the new Info Club newsletter: - I just got it because it was sent to my house and my parents mailed it to me at school - now you know why it was a dark day in Athens - Flansburgh was in a band called the Turtlenecks! Anyone know of a recording? - I wanna hear the Greek translation of #3! Waaaah! - confirmation that Flans wrote #3 and Linnell wrote Ana Ng - I want a "wiggle diskette". I'm willing to kill. - there's a menorah on the bottom. Hah! - Are you still awake? - Album cover postcards and T-shirts! Now you can wear your favorite of the day. - Frankenstein is gone from the live show. Personally I'm not that disappointed. - Flans wrote spacesuit (at least the guitar chords) - Linnell did all those voices in "Spider"? Wow! If you made it through this message, congratulations. Jason Weiner # "Never whistle while Stanford University # you're pissing"- discord@leland.stanford.edu # Hagbard Celine ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 18:28:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Stacy K Shoff Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #41 (fwd) OK, I guess I'll tell you of my personal TMBG feelings too: 1. After being a fan for a couple years I saw Them in Louisville, KY during the JH tour (it was a surprise birthday gift from my sibs) and gained a whole new respect for Them. I had never imagined that the cute head-boppin' band I had grown to love could actually ROCK live. It was magical! :) 2. I have all of the ALBUMS, but no singles or special stuff. (I'm dying to hear ANY of the state songs) 3. I'm such an indecisive person, I have no favorites of any kind. With music I just become temporarily obsessed with one CD at certain times, and will listen to it until I get sick (or those around me get mad) and move on to another. Right now I'd have to say that I dig Misc. T most. 4. If it IS the peanut butter thing, I love the stuff. However, since its one of the worst foods you can eat, I try my best to avoid it (but Reese's I cannot resist :)) 5. I have a very deep innie. A friend of mine has both. It's below the surface of the rest of the stomach (making it an innie) but the flowery thing inside the button is very lumped in the middle from the inside of the stomach, so its sorta trying to be an outie....gross huh?! Have fun picturing that one, and enjoy! Stacy :) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 20:48:30 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Purple Toupee Revisited John Relph quotes from the illustrious (and under-read) FAQ: > and they told me I was fat > > When the Beatles first arrived in the US during the > British Invasion, John was just a trifle porky. The > newspapers immediately dubbed him "the fat Beatle". When this particular discussion originally came up, I pointed out the similarity in names between John Lennon and John Linnell which, IMO, makes this interpretation actually somewhat plausible. And I do so again. m@t ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 00:00:37 -0500 (CDT) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Purple Toupee Revisited On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, Matthew Coon wrote: > John Relph quotes from the illustrious (and under-read) FAQ: > > and they told me I was fat > > > > When the Beatles first arrived in the US during the > > British Invasion, John was just a trifle porky. The > > newspapers immediately dubbed him "the fat Beatle". > > When this particular discussion originally came up, I pointed > out the similarity in names between John Lennon and John Linnell > which, IMO, makes this interpretation actually somewhat plausible. > And I do so again. > > m@t > > > Linnel's the skinny one. What are you getting at? gaucho@main.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Purple Toupee Revisited Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 10:54:13 -0500 (CDT) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Erik Swedberg: >> > When the Beatles first arrived in the US during the >> > British Invasion, John was just a trifle porky. The >> > newspapers immediately dubbed him "the fat Beatle". >> >> When this particular discussion originally came up, I pointed >> out the similarity in names between John Lennon and John Linnell >> which, IMO, makes this interpretation actually somewhat plausible. >> And I do so again. >> >Linnel's the skinny one. What are you getting at? Linnell's also (arguably) not a "big important man"... YET... :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 12:16:05 -0400 (EDT) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: menorahs The menorah in the newest info letter is a seven armed one; the Hanukah menorah has nine. Just more proof that They aren't Jewish. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 12:35:41 -0700 From: BlueDog Subject: IRC IRC chat has been getting better and better. I thank the people who come and make things interesting. If you'd like to join us, we're on IRC channel #tmbg. That is all...BlueDawg --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "The most interesting thing about King Charles I was that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, and only 4'8" tall at the end of it"--Monty Python --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 14:28:38 -0700 (PDT) From: Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria Subject: Re: menorahs On Fri, 27 Oct 1995, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > The menorah in the newest info letter is a seven armed one; the Hanukah > menorah has nine. Just more proof that They aren't Jewish. > > lebo > Ahem...from another Jew: Yes, the Hanukkah menorah has nine arms, but that is merely because of the symbolism of eight (+1) in the holiday. The normal, everyday, omnipresent menorah has seven arms. Besides, the graphic was probably just from a file. Since J & J don't do the newsletter anyway, this doesn't matter. I was merely rejoicing in the festive mood of the holiday season. Jason Weiner # "Never whistle while Stanford University # you're pissing"- discord@leland.stanford.edu # Hagbard Celine ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: songs on the air Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 19:39:11 -0400 (EDT) Hey all, I was very psyched today, on WHFS during the Flashback cafe they played Don't Let's Start, and that was pretty cool, but then during Josh Lewin's sports show on WBAL 1090 in Baltimore they played No One Knows My plan as the intro! It was awesome!! --Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 13:32:11 +1300 From: "SAM PEARSON." Subject: Hello club. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Hello club is any good. Are there any of the past year's catalogues that are not worth getting, or are they all really great? The latest newsletter said that the whole package was available for $120, so I take it that '93 set is not sold out. Is this true? Thanks in advance, Sam Pearson. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 16:04:02 +1300 (NZDT) From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael) Subject: Their Server Might Need Fixing hey I have a silly question...is there a reason why I'm getting what would apear to be the old Jonathan Chaffered artificial TMBG digest from the days of old mingled in with my new improved SUPER DIGEST? What has happened? Just for the record, I'm sticking dates in with my posts, till my brain stops hurting. 28 october 1995 ---- PS Isn't it amazing how many different ways you guys can come up with to spell "Jonathan"....? ******************************************************** "Because my name appears in the history books, most children think I'm dead" -Sir Edmund Hillary, Mountain climber who 'knocked the bugger off' ******************************************************** Michael Carr ***************************************************** ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: Their Server Might Need Fixing Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 23:07:04 -0400 (EDT) > hey I have a silly question...is there a reason why I'm getting what would > apear to be the old Jonathan Chaffered > artificial TMBG digest from the days of old mingled in with my new improved > SUPER DIGEST? > What has happened? > Just for the record, I'm sticking dates in with my posts, till my brain > stops hurting. You must have missed my message right before them, so I'll repeat it. :-) There were 5 digests stuck on the GNU site that used to run this list (over a year ago). I just got them, and since they had some stuff no one had ever seen, I went ahead and forwared them to the list. It shouldn't happen again. :-) -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest Digest #1-50 ***********************************************