Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-53 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 53 Tuesday, 31 October 1995 Today's Topics: Re: songs on the air Re: Purple Toupee Revisited Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-52 Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-52 (none) Dr. Demento tmbg sighting Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-52 Re: IRC!! TONIGHT!! Re: XTC: A Testimonial Dinner Snowball in Hell Re: Snowball in Hell Re: IRC Re: Snowball in Hell Re: IRC (fun fun fun:) Re:Only diehard lyrics memorizers need reply Re: IRC (fun fun fun:) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 30 Oct 95 09:45:37 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: songs on the air -Length: 713 > > Hey all, > I was very psyched today, on WHFS during the Flashback cafe they played Don't Let's > Start, and that was pretty cool, but then during Josh Lewin's sports show on WBAL 1090 > in Baltimore they played No One Knows My plan as the intro! It was awesome!! > --Matt > Ick, I wonder how well They sounded in AM mono on WBAL. Anyway I'm actually suprised that HFS didn't make fun of Them like they normally do after they play thier songs. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:59:52 -0500 From: Matthew Coon Subject: Re: Purple Toupee Revisited Gaucho writes: >On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, Matthew Coon wrote: > >> John Relph quotes from the illustrious (and under-read) FAQ: >> > and they told me I was fat >> > >> > When the Beatles first arrived in the US during the >> > British Invasion, John was just a trifle porky. The >> > newspapers immediately dubbed him "the fat Beatle". >> >> When this particular discussion originally came up, I pointed >> out the similarity in names between John Lennon and John Linnell >> which, IMO, makes this interpretation actually somewhat plausible. >> >Linnel's the skinny one. What are you getting at? The song is seemingly a recollection of events from the 1960's as filtered through the not yet quite fully comprehending eyes of childhood. My opinion is that, being a young child named John Linnell and hearing that John Lennon is fat and has sissy hair, one might perhaps take it a bit too personally. (Regardless of whether one realizes that he might be "the skinny one" in a musical duo nearly a quarter of a century later :-) m@t L*nn* ------------------------------ From: "Frankenberry" Organization: John Brown University Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 10:17:38 GMT-5 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-52 Howdy folks, > Am I strange to be thinking about this? No, because so many others have thought of it too. Believe me. >(If I am strange, you are too for responding.) And my daddy can beat up your daddy. His Big Blueness sputtered: > Watching a MST3K re-run last night...The Movie was "Attack of the Giant Gila > Monster". Some of the characters in the movie were debating the possibility > of a giant Lizard. Crow quipped, "They're Might Be Giants!!" > > What do you think??? You'd be absolutely surprised at the amount of people who share these interests. The mighty Ray and I ventured to the MST Conventiocon- Expofest-a-rama last September (not this last one, but the one before). We saw more THEY shirts than we could count. Other shared interests we found include: The Animaniacs, Star Wars, The Banana Splits, Aliester "The Guru" Crouton, and Jonothan Chaffer's haircut. Great people enjoy great things, so it logically follows that MST fans (and even the Brains themselves) are more likely to be THEY fans than not. as a matter of fact, Frank ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 95 12:25:25 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-52 > interests. The mighty Ray and I ventured to the MST Conventiocon- What is MST?` ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 15:09:16 -0600 From: Mike Smith this is your last chance. tomorrow is halloween. you must vote for persephone. she has been collecting power from many different supernatural sources, and if she is called by the wrong name, she is going to release this energy against all of the earth. FOR THE LOVE OF ALL MANKIND VOTE FOR PERSEPHONE RIGHT NOW. not tomorrow, that's too late. not later on, not after you finish reading your mail. do it now. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 13:43:30 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Dr. Demento I heard that TMBG were on Dr. Dementos 25 anniversary album... Anyone know bout this? Liam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 16:10:16 -0600 From: Mike Smith Subject: tmbg sighting I was just in a friends room and we were watching tv. For some reason we were watching Ricki Lake, and saw that a guy in the audience was wearing a TMBG shirt. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 18:35:48 -0600 From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-52 Frankenberry blabbed: >Splits, Aliester "The Guru" Crouton, and Jonothan Chaffer's haircut. I've always been interested in that last one myself. Of course, you can't dis Johnathan Chaffer's haircut, either. ;-) And apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) sputtered: >What is MST?` Heresy! Ack! It's Mystery Science Theater 3000. (For the uninitiated, it's "That show with the cheesy movies and the robots.") With utmost sincerity, Crow #(:)o or Jonathan :-) *--------------------------------------------------------------------- jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | "Bozosity abounds." --Kibo -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K++ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 18:01:59 -0500 (EST) From: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Subject: Re: IRC!! TONIGHT!! So how exactly do you get there--is it a web site? (Am I really stupid for asking this? Is it obvious?) Can one get there through Netscape? I want to know! Thanks! FLK On Sat, 28 Oct 1995, BlueDog wrote: > We'll start at 2100 EDT...on channel #tmbg!!! > > Hope to see you there!!! > --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- > S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com > "The most interesting thing about King Charles I was that he was 5'6" tall > at the start of his reign, and only 4'8" tall at the end of it"--Monty Python > --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- > > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 18:28:01 -0600 (CST) From: Brad Tutterow Subject: Re: XTC: A Testimonial Dinner The XTC tribute album is wonderful beyond works, as is every XTC album. If you like TMBG check them out. If you don't like TMBG, you're a freak. ____________________ -BRAd ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 95 19:15:47 EST From: Alex Bove III Organization: TEMPLE UNIVERSITY Subject: Snowball in Hell Normally i wouldn't care about wrong lyric interps, but because it's one of my favorie TMBG lyrics at stake, i thought i'd bring it up. In Snowball, he says "My panacea's in a xerox shop," not "my fantasy." That's all for now. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ | | | "A CIRCLE IS THE SHAPE OF PERFECTION" | --R. M. BERRY | | | +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Snowball in Hell Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 18:56:39 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Alex Bove III: > >Normally i wouldn't care about wrong lyric interps, but because it's one of my >favorie TMBG lyrics at stake, i thought i'd bring it up. In Snowball, he says >"My panacea's in a xerox shop," not "my fantasy." That's all for now. Uhhh... isn't panacea pronounced "pan AY sha"? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 19:32:06 -0600 (CST) From: Jennifer Elaine Klauke Subject: Re: IRC On Fri, 27 Oct 1995, BlueDog wrote: > IRC chat has been getting better and better. I thank the people who come > and make things interesting. If you'd like to join us, we're on IRC channel > #tmbg. No, wait a minute. How come everytime I go, there's nobody there? Are you plotting against me? Or is there just a specific time I should be looking... ############################################################################## "I am not even faintly like a rose." - The Great Gatsby Jenny Klauke - SwankGirl - jek4911@tam2000.tamu.edu ############################################################################## ------------------------------ Date: 30 Oct 95 22:25:00 EST From: Sara.B.Carmichael@Dartmouth.EDU (Sara B. Carmichael) Subject: Re: Snowball in Hell pan-a-ce-a (pan'-uh-see''-ah) n. A remedy for all diseases, evils, or difficulties; a cure-all. --pan'-a-ce''-an adj. according to the folks at american heritage well, sort of, i couldnt reproduce the upside-down e's (schwas). ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 22:52:47 -0500 (EST) From: Speaker for the Dead Subject: Re: IRC (fun fun fun:) > > IRC chat has been getting better and better. I thank the people who come > > and make things interesting. If you'd like to join us, we're on IRC channel > > #tmbg. > > No, wait a minute. How come everytime I go, there's nobody there? Are you > plotting against me? Or is there just a specific time I should be looking... > My problem the first two weeks was that i was on the undernet servers, which are not connected to the RealIRC servers. If you are on an undernet server try changing to a realIRC server such as irc.eskimo.com, or irc.ecn.uoknor.edu. (Type '/server irc.eskimo.com') There are many servers in which you should be able to find the tmbg chat. Of course, it is important to go at the correct time too, it starts about 9:00 Eastern, i beleive, and usually goes on well past 11:00, maybe even later, just depending on who is around and how important sleep is to them:) Knowing those two things should clear up your situation. Anyway, good luck! It's really a lot of fun:) Nathan (IRC's mysterious Linnel) woohoo! ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 23:50:40 -0700 From: toddj1@hooked.net (Todd Johnson) Subject: Re:Only diehard lyrics memorizers need reply Justin Spivey wrote: >I was, as every other Sunday morning finds me, listening to John Henry >while folding laundry. (Don't ask why this has become ritual.) Anyway, >this particular Sunday I was in a strangely analytical mood... >In "Sleeping in the Flowers," John has a crush on a "copy-shop girl." >I recalled "Snowball in Hell," in which we're told about his "fantasy >... in a xerox shop." Is there a theme here? Does anyone know of other >songs alluding to xerographic reproduction? Am I strange to be think- >ing about this? (If I am strange, you are too for responding.) Yes! Thank you! It's not just me! I've thought about this quite a bit also. My guess is that there has to be a "Copy shop Clerk" in Flans' past. The two references so far apart have to have some basis in fact. But maybe that's just me... ------------------------------ Subject: Re: IRC (fun fun fun:) Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 02:02:57 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Speaker for the Dead: >My problem the first two weeks was that i was on the undernet servers, >which are not connected to the RealIRC servers. If you are on an >undernet server try changing to a realIRC server such as irc.eskimo.com, >or irc.ecn.uoknor.edu. (Type '/server irc.eskimo.com') There are many >servers in which you should be able to find the tmbg chat. Of course, it As an IRC server admin, I thought you should know that what you call "RealIRC" is more properly referred to as "EFnet". It is the oldest and most popular of the IRC networks, but is by no means the only one. undernet has reached 4000 users, a remarkable feat seeing as this time last year, EFnet had only 6000 (tonight EFnet hit a record 15,000 users!) There are also a handful of smaller nets, including idealnet, DALnet, and some private nets. There is a list of EFnet servers available; poke around on ftp://ftp.comco.com/pub/irc for it. ObTMBG: Stevie Wonder had a top ten hit called "Fingertips #2". But as we all know, Peter Stampfel is the one who really sings the second Fingertip. ObWhyMustIBeSad: From the Oct 23 Minneapolis Star Tribune: COOPER NEARLY UP TO PAR No more Mr. Nice Guy when Alice Cooper hits the gold course. He carries a 5 handicap. It's a far cry from his days as a wild-eyed, mascara-wearing rock singer who crashed the music scene with the 1971 rock anthem "I'm Eighteen". In those days, he says, rock singers couldn't admit to playing golf. "Now, everybody plays," he said. "Nobody drinks, nobody does drugs, and the O.J. trial is over. So what else is there to do?" ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-53 *****************************