Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-59 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 59 Wednesday, 8 November 1995 Today's Topics: (none) Age before beauty Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-58 Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-57 Hello! CD club Me (none) Age issues 25 O'clock age (none) My First Time Re: Me Re: that one song, that you know, rules. The Big Steamy Thing BOUNCE tmbg-list: Admin request (fwd) Ask And Ye Shall Find age Re:Other bands Query Re:Other bands Query Re: Letterman Re:Other bands Query Re:Other bands Query Re: Ask And Ye Shall Find Re: Other bands Query VIDEO COMPILATION Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 12:10:37 +0100 (GMT+0100) From: Inigo Saenz I'm unsubcribing to the list today. I don't want to but I won't have e-mail access by tomorrow. I just wanted to tell you that you sure are cool people and that I'm gonna miss all that TMBG information every morning. So until I get e-mail access back ... AGUR to you all ! Happy Birthday to all those whose birthday is in November ( mine's also ) We're the coolest !!! Inigo ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 09:31:01 -0500 (EST) From: Sean Geoffrey Kinlin Subject: Age before beauty In response to the age survey.... ...I'm 23 years of age (and have been since June). So for this entire month I can say "It's not my Birthday." -Sean K., whose birthday is over 93 million miles away, and that's why it looks so small. ------------------------------ From: Destin.Berthelot@Rollins.Edu Date: Tue, 07 Nov 1995 09:44:10 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-58 Organization: Rollins College Okay, I've asked this before, but I only got one response and the guy never wrote me back... Does ANYONE know where I can get Live in NY on CD??! Anyone want to sell their copy? Please? Thanks... Destin ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 12:28:58 -0600 (CST) From: The Artist Formerly known as Joe Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-57 On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Mikey Bob wrote: > >does anyone have the single to "The sun is a mass of incubesic gas" and > >how do I find it? > > Actually, its called "Why Does the Sun Shine (The Sun is a Mass of > Incandescent Gas)". I just got it in off a special order about 3 days ago. > It has 4 songs on it, 3 of them are excellent covers of various songs, and > the last one is an early version of Spy. I think it would be rather hard to > find it stocked in a store, but many chain music stores special order for no > extra charge. Its really worth checking out, although I hear the live > version of WDTSS is much better. > > --- > Semper ubi sub ubi! Always wear underware I took Latin for two years and that's the only thing I remember.p ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 15:04:34 -0500 (EST) From: David Vogelgesang <924304@xavier.xu.edu> Subject: Hello! CD club I *finally* got my brochure from the hello club. I was thinking of ordering all three years and a t-shirt. Is it worth it? How many songs are on each cd? Would anyone reconnend that I order them? Any input is appreciated. Ziggy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 13:07:54 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Me Well, I am 14, which probably makes me the youngest on this list. I live in Portland Oregon, and I've only been to one concert, earlier this year (they were incredible!) Any fans out there as young as me? Liam -TV violence only affects children whose parents act like TV personalities. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 16:37:28 -0500 (EST) From: El Medio Filipino i am 19. why are peopel writing and telling their age? i am being blwon along like on a windy day. paul ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 Nov 1995 16:47:33 -0500 (EST) From: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Subject: Age issues I am currently 17 years of age, but will remain so for only four more days. November birthdays rule! I do enjoy "We Want a Rock". I think it's the alluring idea of prosthetic foreheads that turns me on to it! ;) FLK Deutsch ist spass! (und "Vogelhaus in Deiner Seele" ist ausgezeichnet!) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 17:13:47 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: 25 O'clock is actually an XTC song redone by tmbg. if you knew that already then it just sounded like you didn't. no offense though. if i had the money right now i would get that XTC tribute cause i luv XTC almost as much as TMBG. what other music does all o' yous listen to so maybe we can find correlations between TMBG and others. i love Police, Talking Heads, Tori Amos, early 80's new wave,XTC(as mentioned above), B.B. King, and some other stuff, but TMBG is my all time favorite. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ From: KKBOWMAN@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU Date: Tue, 07 Nov 95 17:24:18 CST Subject: age i'm 23 i'm in my prime. ahem. -kit ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 18:31:10 -0500 (EST) From: Stacy K Shoff Did anyone else catch They on the 'E' network last night? For those who don't know, E! (Entertainment Television--:)) runs the reruns of David Letterman shows from when he was still at NBC every weeknight. Last night's show was from May of 1992, after the release of Apollo. They performed "I Palindrome I". It sounded pretty much like the album version, but it was still cool to SEE them doing it. Linnell was terribly cute because he kept playing up to the camera as he was singing, giving these wide-eyed looks with little knowing smirks. Flans just rocked in the background and was wearing a white button-up shirt and blazer, and looked noticably thin to me. Anyway, I never caught this performance the first time it was on, so it was a small thrill to see the great ones last night. Hope someone else shared in my joy! Egad a base tone denotes a bad age, Stacy :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 07 Nov 1995 13:48:46 +0000 (GMT) From: "PHIL MOSS, JMU MARKETING OFFICER" Subject: My First Time Greetings one and all from the home of The Beatles. I've hung around here in Liverpool for a few months now before daring to post to you (or should that be us??) all, but now I feel inspired. You see, I just got a copy of Live in NY (thank you John you saint!) and if you don't have it as part of your collection, you have to get it. What else?..... Ah yes, I'm 25 which makes me kinda ancient for this list and my birthday ISN'T in November. Shock!! I first heard Them five years when Birdhouse reached No.2 in the UK charts. I immediately bought Flood, and hated it. I just couldn't get into to it at all, apart from Birdhouse, which I'd already heard. Gradually though, once I'd read the lyrics, I started to like it, and went and saw Them live at the Town & Country Club in London. That was it! I was hooked. I bought all the albums, and have now seen Them five times. The only pain is taht I have to travel to London to see Them, but it's a small price to pay. (Yeah I know it's only 200 miles) I suppose I've rambled long enough (for now). Thanks for listening, Phil PHIL MOSS - MARKETING OFFICER, JOHN MOORES UNIVERSITY p.n.moss@livjm.ac.uk http://www.livjm.ac.uk/~egppmoss ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 17:54:03 -0800 (PST) From: "Jacob T. Eidsmoe" Subject: Re: Me Hiya Liam, I'm Jacob, I'm 21 and I also live in the PDX area. I also attended the TMBG concert earlier in the summer, and if by chance it was you I walked all over when John and John had the crowd do the dance line during "Racist Friend," I am truly sorry. :) -Jacob On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Liam Singer wrote: > Well, I am 14, which probably makes me the youngest on this list. > I live in Portland Oregon, and I've only been to one concert, earlier this > year (they were incredible!) > Any fans out there as young as me? > > Liam > -TV violence only affects children whose parents act like TV personalities. > > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 21:21:21 -0500 (EST) From: Jennifer Carpenter Subject: Re: that one song, that you know, rules. Hello Mike! "We want a Rock" is phat, but the song "They'll Need A Crane" has been looping around in my brain for the past two months. Kinda shows you the state i'm in. - cArPenTeR - On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Mike Smith wrote: > HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > > that being said, i can move on to the content of this message. > > Does anyone else really like we want a rock? In the past few months i've > gotten to where i like it more and more. I can't really figure out why, but > it's one of my favorite TMBG songs. > > paul, desperately waiting for mail from the list. > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 20:27:45 -0600 (CST) From: "John E. Neely" Subject: The Big Steamy Thing I think I must be about the youngest person on here. Yikes. I'm 5402. Days. I just want to vent my frustration at this time that there STILL aren't any of the TMBG shirts I want in my size. ARGH. BTW, if anyone wants an XL "Hats" t-shirt, email me. I'll sell it cheaper than the newsletter, close to nothing if you can offer me copies of the full 26-track Live in NYC, State Songs, Mono Puff, The Guitar, etc. Thanks. > From: Spivey Justin M > songs alluding to xerographic reproduction? I just wanted to /|\ And yes, it's been brought up before, say how funny I | and noone but the John's really know. thought this phrase was----| I was going to reply to some more stuff, but instead I'll just say: Mr. Klaw has a cool guitar part. Bad joke to play on someone: tell them to spell "pig" backwards and say "funny colors". %%% jneely01@mail.orion.org %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "....the god Thoth-Hermes granted him original enlightenment by murmuring, `Uh, look, I groove with the problem, baby, but dig, we gotta put carrots in or it ain't no stew.'" --Robert Sheckley ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: BOUNCE tmbg-list: Admin request (fwd) Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 21:44:16 -0500 (EST) I'm going to turn off the AI in this stupid mailing list software...this is getting stupid. Forwarded message: To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: BlueDog Subject: age and other things AGE: Add me to the many 19 year olds. IRC Chat: WE NEED MORE PEOPLE!!! The times are: 2100 EST Wed. nights, and 2100 EST Saturday nights. We're on EFNet, channel #tmbg (what else?). Hello Records: Anyone got a subscription? If so, is the three years worth the cost? XTC Tribute, A Testimonial Dinner: GET IT!! Regardless of the less than complimentary review posted by Myke on a.m.tmbg. That is all...end transmission... --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "The most interesting thing about King Charles I was that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, and only 4'8" tall at the end of it"--Monty Python --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 17:01:15 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Ask And Ye Shall Find I just heard the song (or lack of song, just a musical track really) 'Jessica' and I said to myself 'hey! I know that piece of music!' and lo and behold it was true for indeed I did, because (And correct me if I'm wrong) but I saw a programme on the BBC World Service TV sattelite feed called Top Gear (Car show) which I think has Jessica as it's theme song...anybody who knows better wanna tell me otherwise? Mike PS Anyone know where I can get a cast list for animaniacs? ******************************************* The world is controlled by a small evil group, unfortunately to which no one I know belongs. ******************************************* Michael Carr University Of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, ~~Where Our Slogan Is: "Jennifer, Don't Touch That Eel" ******************************************* ------------------------------ From: SrPescado@aol.com Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 23:02:13 -0500 Subject: age I'm 4 months old ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 21:35:52 -0700 From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Subject: Re:Other bands Query >is actually an XTC song redone by tmbg. if you knew that already then it >just sounded like you didn't. no offense though. if i had the money right >now i would get that XTC tribute cause i luv XTC almost as much as TMBG. >what other music does all o' yous listen to so maybe we can find >correlations between TMBG and others. i love Police, Talking Heads, Tori >Amos, early 80's new wave,XTC(as mentioned above), B.B. King, and some >other stuff, but TMBG is my all time favorite. other stuff I'll mention only 'cause I think TMBG fans'll like em, (actaully I listen to a really wide variety of music,) only the first two are guaranteed... Ed's Redeeming Qualities very TMBG-esque... Barenaked Ladies !!!!!!!!!(what can I say, you'll love em...)!!!!!!!! Hypnotic Clambake Sara Mclaughlan (sp?) Moxy Fruvous (with two 'lil dots above the u) Grant Lee Buffalo } I dunno if you'll like any of these, Over The Rhine } But they're my other faves, Morphine } So I had to mention them.... that's all I've got to say(without checking my CD rack...) -Rabid Child * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * _Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com_ -No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! 8o) _Send flames to president@whithouse.gov_ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 22:57:57 -0600 (CST) From: William Paul Ward Subject: Re:Other bands Query On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Rabid Child wrote: > Ed's Redeeming Qualities very TMBG-esque... [list of bands bobbitted here] You forgot Pixies....I think every TMBG fan should own at least one Pixies album [Doolittle ideally, partial credit for Surfer Rosa]; or, at the very least, Frank Black. I think there're a huge amount of paralells between these two bands. Oh, and by the way; hi, I'm new here. And I'm 21. Scruffy ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 23:35:03 -0600 (CST) From: Lokshin Michael S Subject: Re: Letterman Yes I saw Them on Letterman last night. It was quite cool to see Paul fervently singing "Man o Nam". I tried to tape it, but the technology of my 1985 Sears brand VCR proved too formidable of an opponent. I must reinforce the "We Want A Rock" discussion...it is one of the songs which got me hooked on They Might Be Giants. Unfortunately,in none of the four majestic live performances that I've witnessed have They played this song. Also, the Pixies are still Gods, Morphine kicks ass, and you are not a human being if you dislike the Violent Femmes or the Poster Children. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 22:17:31 -0800 (PST) From: Marvin the Unreal Subject: Re:Other bands Query ALRIGHT!!!! Someone else in the world who has heard of Ed's Redeeming Qualities!!!! Yes! Yes! Okay, everybody, I have to give ERQ a enthusiastic thumb's up (gosh I feel so much like Siskel (or is it Ebert?)) for TMBGness. I recommend them with absolute confidence. Marvin of 41 On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Rabid Child wrote: > other stuff I'll mention only 'cause I think TMBG fans'll like em, > (actaully I listen to a really wide variety of music,) only the first two > are guaranteed... > > Ed's Redeeming Qualities very TMBG-esque... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 00:43:00 -0600 (CST) From: Jennifer Elaine Klauke Subject: Re:Other bands Query Ed's Redeeming Qualities. Zowee. Others HAVE heard of them! My favorite song of theirs is "Lawn Dart." That is so cool I really have nothing else to say. I don't even know why I'm here this late. Forget the sig. Lovebugs, Jenny Klauke (jek4911@tam2000.tamu.edu) (and now, the new and in need of improvement web page, http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html) On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Marvin the Unreal wrote: > ALRIGHT!!!! Someone else in the world who has heard of Ed's Redeeming > Qualities!!!! Yes! Yes! > Okay, everybody, I have to give ERQ a enthusiastic thumb's up (gosh I > feel so much like Siskel (or is it Ebert?)) for TMBGness. I recommend > them with absolute confidence. > > > Marvin of 41 > > On Tue, 7 Nov 1995, Rabid Child wrote: > > > other stuff I'll mention only 'cause I think TMBG fans'll like em, > > (actaully I listen to a really wide variety of music,) only the first two > > are guaranteed... > > > > Ed's Redeeming Qualities very TMBG-esque... > ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Ask And Ye Shall Find Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 01:05:53 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Michael Carr: >I just heard the song (or lack of song, just a musical track really) >'Jessica' and I said to myself 'hey! I know that piece of music!' and lo >and behold it was true for indeed I did, because (And correct me if I'm >wrong) but I saw a programme on the BBC World Service TV sattelite feed >called Top Gear (Car show) which I think has Jessica as it's theme >song...anybody who knows better wanna tell me otherwise? Of course you have; the Allman brothers have been playing it since the 70's (at least), and it is regularly played on classic rock and/or oldies radio stations everywhere. >PS Anyone know where I can get a cast list for animaniacs? I bet Yahoo (http://www.yahoo.com) has a few thousand Animaniacs links... look under Entertainment/Televsion... ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Other bands Query Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 01:10:32 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Rabid Child: >other stuff I'll mention only 'cause I think TMBG fans'll like em, [...] >Sara Mclaughlan (sp?) Although I am too a big Sarah fan (get the Freedom Sessions CD with the Multimedia Presentation on it; it has most of her videos on it in quicktime format!), I fail to see why TMBG fans would like her - "Ice Cream" is probably her only "weird" song. I suppose she and They both have a similar fear of stalkers (witness Sarah's "Possesion" and Their refusal to get on the net :) I've heard that Bjork is excellent for They Might Be fans... ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 18:49:15 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: VIDEO COMPILATION Hey, this is Peter here and I am 20 if anyone is interested. I am looking for a copy of the Video Compilation or any other TMBG video from anyone who has a spare copy to sell. It must be in VHS PAL. That is, I need an English or an Australian copy. US videos will not work. Please e-mail me with any offers or suggestions of where I can obtain one. How many Australians or Pacific Rimmers are here anyway?? Thanx everyone. ****************************************************************************** "The Chips Are Ready" New Debut Album Out Soon "THE BEST OF..." ****************************************************************************** NEW NIGHTCLUB OPENING SOON. RETROW "the alternative 70's & 80's disco" "if you can't get in, come and see us" with DJ WOODY and PICARD $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-59 *****************************