From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #6 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Saturday, 23 September 1995 Volume 01 : Number 006 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 20:19:39 -0600 Subject: Re: Paper > It's me, Scott. I found the disk that has my paper about TMBG. I >thought that I might post a bit of it here if no one minds. Maybe a page >or two. Then, folks can write me if they want to hear the rest of it. No >plagarism please. Please let me know if you don't want me to post part of >my paper here. I don't want anyone to get mad at me. Maybe you could upload it to the FTP site with the necessary disclaimers and copyrights? Just a thought. **************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Telnet realms.dorsai.org 1501 - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: Chris Bongaarts Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 19:15:54 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: Paper In the immortal words of Jonathan Chaffer: >Maybe you could upload it to the FTP site with the necessary disclaimers >and copyrights? The FTP site has been refusing uploads since March or so (about the time Micah disappeared ;) That's why the most recent Who Sings What list isn't on there... ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cbongaar@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 21:49:00 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Collecting Giants Stuff Someone mentioned the FTP stuff. I've been pondering trying to get all the FTP and WWW stuff in 'one' place, namely www.tmbg.org and ftp.tmbg.org. I've been talking to some people about this, but figured I would mention it here just in case other people had anything to offer in this area. If you do please mail me (not the list). Thanks. - -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org | Make a little birdhouse bicknell@vt.edu | in your soul...... bicknell@cs.vt.edu | They Might http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/ | Be Giants ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 00:58:53 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Paper (fwd) > In the immortal words of Jonathan Chaffer: > > >Maybe you could upload it to the FTP site with the necessary disclaimers > >and copyrights? > > The FTP site has been refusing uploads since March or so (about the > time Micah disappeared ;) That's why the most recent Who Sings What > list isn't on there... You could put the paper in your public_ftp directory and people could hit that (if you have one). - -- - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order - ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 02:06:12 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #3 yes the new album is supposed to be out on oct 24, but i have heard rumors that the date may be pushed back to early spring '96. On Thu, 21 Sep 1995, The Princess Bridesmaid wrote: > > > Supposedly the next album is supposed to be more like the older stuff, but > > still with the full band. I think they could have pulled off the End of the > > Tour, but they would not have been able to perform it live as well without > > the full band. > > > NEXT ALBUM?!?!?!?!?!?!? When, Where, What is it called? how did you > hear about it? what do you know about it? > ******************************************** > "I am not the only dust my mother raised" > They Might Be Giants > > Catherine Gurry > > catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu > ********************************************* > ------------------------------ From: "you know, stuff" Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 01:05:39 -0500 Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #3 NEXT ALBUM?!?!?!?!?!?!? When, Where, What is it called? In the most recent fanclub newsletter, there is an article from somewhere, in which They discuss JH and other such things. Towards the end They start talking about what they think their next album will be like. Unfortunatley that's all I know. paul ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:36:53 -0500 (CDT) Subject: Re: New album ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu writes: > yes the new album is supposed to be out on oct 24, but i have heard > rumors that the date may be pushed back to early spring '96. But this is "Super-Fueled Freaksicle" and not an album of new material, right? - -- John Iacoletti IBM - Team AIX Austin, Texas johniac@austin.ibm.com or johniac@vnet.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 12:05:11 -0500 Subject: Re: New album johniac@austin.ibm.com wrote: >ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu writes: >> yes the new album is supposed to be out on oct 24, but i have heard >> rumors that the date may be pushed back to early spring '96. > >But this is "Super-Fueled Freaksicle" and not an album of new material, right? I thought Super-Fueled Freaksicle _WAS_ new material... Has that changed? - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ----- [BBC] Is it true that you're a connoisseur of the classics? [George Harrison] No. It's just a rumor. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Fri, 22 Sep 95 14:14:12 EDT Subject: Re: New album > I thought Super-Fueled Freaksicle _WAS_ new material... Has that changed? > No Super-Fueled Freaksicle is not new matrial. Its a b-side album like misc. t. ------------------------------ From: Paul Leonard Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 18:12:28 -0500 Subject: Re: New album It has been said that: >> I thought Super-Fueled Freaksicle _WAS_ new material... Has that changed? >> >No Super-Fueled Freaksicle is not new matrial. Its a b-side album like misc. t. > Thank you. I acknowledge my mistake. Please let the thread die. It's lived long enough. On another subject, has everybody seen the "TMBG--The Early Years" FAQ on the (un)official web page? - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- - ----- [BBC] Is it true that you're a connoisseur of the classics? [George Harrison] No. It's just a rumor. ------------------------------ From: Neil Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 22:48:25 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Paper ------------------------------ From: Neil Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 22:51:07 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Paper On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Scott Dodson wrote: > It's me, Scott. I found the disk that has my paper about TMBG. I > thought that I might post a bit of it here if no one minds. Maybe a page > or two. Then, folks can write me if they want to hear the rest of it. No > plagarism please. Well, Scott, if you were to do such a thing, I might have to dig up my paper written for Marist College's Advanced Writing class and share it as well... complete with Professor Comments (tm). WHat'dya think folks? Are we up for it? - -neil (who apologises profusely for his empty previous message. As my excuse, I offer that I am learning Pine. Slowly. ) ------------------------------ From: "Ben Allen" Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 21:38:43 +0000 Subject: Re: Paper > Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 22:51:07 -0400 (EDT) > From: Neil > To: tmbg-list@ufp.org > Subject: Re: Paper > Reply-to: tmbg-list@ufp.org > > > On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Scott Dodson wrote: > > > It's me, Scott. I found the disk that has my paper about > > TMBG. I > > thought that I might post a bit of it here if no one minds. Maybe > > a page or two. Then, folks can write me if they want to hear the > > rest of it. No plagarism please. > > Well, Scott, if you were to do such a thing, I might have to dig up > my paper written for Marist College's Advanced Writing class and > share it as well... complete with Professor Comments (tm). > > WHat'dya think folks? Are we up for it? > > -neil > > (who apologises profusely for his empty previous message. As my > excuse, I offer that I am learning Pine. Slowly. ) > > Please, everyone with papers like this POST 'EM! The way you (collectively) keep talking about 'em but not posting 'em is really bugging me. It's like you're teasing me....with all of your might. - Free the expo '67 ------------------------------ From: Benjamin Hauck Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 10:22:22 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: giant babies My God, another. There are other people who try to sing TMBG songs in other languages. My preference: German. Although I am quite far from fluent, I usually sing along to "Why Must I Be Sad?" ins Deutsch. Here goes: Traurig Traurig Traurig Traurig Warum m"us ich traurig sein? The rows of dandelions growing all around me, Warum m"us ich traurig sein? And: Ich denke dar"uber Jetzt verstehe ich, was er sagte Fragt mir, jetzt verstehe ich die Werden, das Alice sagte Ich "kicke die Rocks beneath" mich *** If you're German and are loving reading the English on this Digest, gimme a clue if this translation works, at least partially. Mit Lieben f"ur Deutsch, Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: Benjamin Hauck Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 10:46:09 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Boat of Crap Ben or Been here. Yes, truthfully. "Boat of Car" I would have to say for myself is perhaps the most nonsensical song of TMBG's I've heard. I try to think, "What does this mean?" and get frazzled, for when I think I piece together some inherent meaning to the song, one piece leads me astray. The lyrics (from the top o' my cranium, literally): I took my boat for a car I took my car for a ride I was trying to get somewhere but now I'm following The traces of your fingernails That run along the winshield on the Boat of Car [etc.] [with intermingling "Daddy sings bass" mouthings] I ponder, as do many, I imagine: How does one take a boat for a car? It's almost as if semantic shift is applying to the word 'car,' transforming the noun into a verb. But English, as far as I am knowledgable, does not allow this word's shift. Perhaps TMBG is making a strange proof: I took my X for a Y ] ] therefore, I took my Y for a Z ] X is to Y as Y is to Z or maybe, X = Y, Y = Z; therefore, X = Z where X=boat, Y=car, Z=ride(noun) So, a boat is a ride, they prove. Just in a lot of words. As for the traces: traces [TRAY sez] n. 1. remnants; faded markings. 2. outlines; a circumference or perimeter. 3. [etc.] "Traces of fingernails" can thus be remnants of fingernails, i.e., fingernail clippings gone undisposed OR EVEN the outlines of a windshield, made by the trace of fingernails I ambiguous. *** Now that I've offered for you some info, see what you can do with it. Perhaps you can better interpret the song. Any takers? I hope so. Ich spiele mit (Freunden), Ben or Been (hey, that rhymes!) ------------------------------ From: DrSzusz@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 12:26:24 -0400 Subject: Re: Boat of Crap I can't stop thinking that there might be such a thing as thinking too much! I mean, think about it! ------------------------------ From: "Ben Allen" Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 10:22:58 +0000 Subject: Re: Boat of Crap > Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 10:46:09 -0400 (EDT) > From: Benjamin Hauck > Subject: Boat of Crap > To: All The Palindromes > Reply-to: tmbg-list@ufp.org > Ben or Been here. > Yes, truthfully. > > "Boat of Car" I would have to say for myself is perhaps the most > nonsensical song of TMBG's I've heard. I try to think, "What does > this mean?" and get frazzled, for when I think I piece together some > inherent meaning to the song, one piece leads me astray. > > The lyrics (from the top o' my cranium, literally): > > I took my boat for a car > I took my car for a ride > I was trying to get somewhere but now I'm following > The traces of your fingernails > That run along the winshield on the > Boat of Car > [etc.] > [with intermingling "Daddy sings bass" mouthings] > > I ponder, as do many, I imagine: > How does one take a boat for a car? It's almost as if semantic > shift is applying to the word 'car,' transforming the noun into a > verb. But English, as far as I am knowledgable, does not allow this > word's shift. > > Perhaps TMBG is making a strange proof: > I took my X for a Y ] > ] therefore, > I took my Y for a Z ] > X is to Y as Y is to Z > or maybe, X = Y, Y = Z; therefore, X = Z > where X=boat, Y=car, Z=ride(noun) > So, > a boat is a ride, they prove. Just in a lot of words. > > As for the traces: > traces [TRAY sez] n. 1. remnants; faded markings. 2. outlines; a > circumference or perimeter. 3. [etc.] > > "Traces of fingernails" can thus be > remnants of fingernails, i.e., fingernail clippings gone > undisposed > OR EVEN > the outlines of a windshield, made by the trace of fingernails > > I ambiguous. > > *** > Now that I've offered for you some info, see what you can do with > it. Perhaps you can better interpret the song. > > > Any takers? I hope so. > Ich spiele mit (Freunden), > Ben or Been > (hey, that rhymes!) > > > > I've always thought that the boat of car is one of those amphibious boat/car vehicles (as featured in one episode of Bill Nye the Science Guy, but...I guess you've probably never seen it). And "traces of your fingernails" means, at least IMHO, scratches in the windshield someone made with their fingernails. - Free the expo '67 ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #6 ****************************************