Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-63 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 63 Sunday, 12 November 1995 Today's Topics: WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: soul cough Re: WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR SALE/FOR TRADE : Australian Tour CD of John Henry Karl Marx and other stuff... IRC TONIGHT!!!! Re: Karl Marx and other stuff... Other bands Re: Greetings stump the list Re: The new B-side CD Re: Karl Marx and other stuff... Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-62 Mega-response Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 10:09:01 EST From: UWFL86B@prodigy.com (SLOAN POE) Subject: WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok this doesn't have to do with TMBG but everyone please thake the time to read this! There is a new virus on the Net. It is said that this virus is more destructive than any in the past. The only way the virus is spread is through E-mail. Once on your computer it E-mails everyone on your mailing list. So if anyone recieves a message with the subject "Good Times" DELETE it imedeatly! This is no joke the FCC released a warning last Wednesday. Please warn as many people as possible. sloan.... ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 10:13:27 -0500 (EST) From: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Subject: Re: soul cough You know, I htink there is a "Birdhouse" SIngle, it's just hard to get here because it was a British release--is that right, anyone?---that's what I heard, anyway. You might be able to order it, who knows? FLK ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 09:59:54 -0600 (CST) From: Mandy Cornick Subject: Re: WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On Sat, 11 Nov 1995, SLOAN POE wrote: > Ok this doesn't have to do with TMBG but everyone please thake the > time to read this! > > There is a new virus on the Net. It is said that this virus is more > destructive than any in the past. The only way the virus is spread > is through E-mail. Once on your computer it E-mails everyone on your > mailing list. So if anyone recieves a message with the subject "Good > Times" DELETE it imedeatly! This is no joke the FCC released a > warning last Wednesday. Please warn as many people as possible. please ignore this. It is NOT TRUE! and not really possible anyway. -mandy You live in the nightgown of the sullen moon. - They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Re: WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 11:15:14 -0500 (EST) > There is a new virus on the Net. It is said that this virus is more > destructive than any in the past. The only way the virus is spread > is through E-mail. Once on your computer it E-mails everyone on your > mailing list. So if anyone recieves a message with the subject "Good > Times" DELETE it imedeatly! This is no joke the FCC released a > warning last Wednesday. Please warn as many people as possible. Not again. Since I've gotten a rash of chain letters in the last few days, let me itemize a few things for people. 1) There is no such thing as a Good Times mail virus. 2) Nemon Markus gives away it's cookie recipe. 3) The kids don't need anymore cards/letters/e-mails. 4) Forwarding this message will not improve your sex life. 5) This message really has been around the world 35 times, and it doesn't need to go around again. As a list administrator I have to say this sort of stuff really annoys me. On our school mail hub we saw one chain letter (the cookie recipe) account for over 12 GIGABYTES of mail one month. Please don't forward chain letters. On to a They related item (because this surely wasn't, and shouldn't have been sent here in the first place). On online catalog where you can order Giants stuff is in the works, and should be up soon. You'll be able to get all your favorite They music from your web browser! Cards, t-shirts, and other collectables too! Stay tuned for more information. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: 11 Nov 1995 14:53:00 +0100 From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Subject: FOR SALE/FOR TRADE : Australian Tour CD of John Henry Organization: Not yet really definable I have for sale or for trade: One copy of the _Australian Tour Special Edition of John Henry_, which includes a 6-track live EP containing the following songs: 6 Track Live EP released with John Henry Tour Edition in Australia. All tracks recorded live in New York, 10-14-94. Alternate versions have some overdubs. CD-5: 1995 OZ Elektra 7559618282 Don't Let's Start Ana Ng (alternate version) Particle Man Statue Got Me High Birdhouse In Your Soul (alternate version) Twistin' (Info from John Relph's TMBG-FAQ). The other CD has (of course) the regular John Henry tracklisting. UP.UP ++ Daniel Parreira ++ parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl ++ UP.UP _ _ -+--------------------------\\//--------------------------------------+- Mail pgp@aquawolf.xs4all.nl XX "Have whiter teeth, have cleaner breath, for my PGP Key or mail a //\\ when you're facing nuclear death." Return-Receipt message. _ // \\ _ -Phil Ochs -+-----------------------\X/----\X/-----------------------------------+- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 13:18:30 -0500 From: ampersnd@netaxs.com (Andrew Ross) Subject: Karl Marx and other stuff... Sara plain and not so tall wrote: > 1. Does anyone besides me think of Karl Marx when > listening to the song Kiss Me Son Of God, or am I just a loony? Well, "the blood of the exploited working class" and the religion-as-the-opiate-of-the-people theme of the song are both very Marxian (Karl, not Groucho). Actually, a lot of early TMBG stuff has economic themes (mainly, "it sucks to be poor in this country"). This is one of my favorite TMBG themes, but it's all but disappeared from their later albums. I would say that "Puppet Head" and "Alienation's For the Rich" are the prototypical TMBG economic songs. "Minimum Wage" is probably their last one (*maybe* "Sleeping in the Flowers" touches upon it a little bit with the "tell my boss that I'm fired" stuff). &REW ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 10:53:59 -0800 From: BlueDawg Subject: IRC TONIGHT!!!! 2100 EST channel #tmbg... See ya there! --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "The most interesting thing about King Charles I was that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, and only 4'8" tall at the end of it"--Monty Python --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 14:13:30 -0500 (EST) From: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Subject: Re: Karl Marx and other stuff... You know, when I first heard it I took "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head" as a song about organized religion... FLK ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 14:57:41 -0600 (CST) From: Melissa Scroggs Subject: Other bands >Has anyone out there ever heard of the Ben Folds Five? They're >actually a trio and have a very irreverant sound. Ben folds could be I love Ben Folds Five. My dad likes them too. I think my favorite song by then is "Underground." Melissa (Age 16...17 on Dec. 10) Oh yeah, that person who wrote about the trivia that was hard. I tried to email the guy who posted the questions, but It sent back undeliverable mail. So I don't know what's going on with that. ------------------------------ From: joe.kopera@cynosure.com (Joe Kopera) Subject: Re: Greetings Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 17:01:00 GMT Organization: Cynosure Online - 410-781-6271 I'm around 17 too-ish. ... Joe.Kopera@cynosure.com - Disgruntled Teen, Baltimore, Md. ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 18:31:17 -0500 (EST) From: driver stu Subject: stump the list i think we should have a little trivia game. call me crazy, but this just may work. one person asks a tmbg-related question. if you have an answer to the question, you send it to the question asker personally. results could be posted on the list and the winner gets to ask the next question. i did this on the "red dwarf" list and people went to town with it. but then again, someone may have already suggested this and i may have just made myself look like a complete moron. that's a risk i have to take. ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ "Oh thank you Mr. Java, you have been so very kind to me." -Pete Aimee "grace" Pflieger apfliege@indiana.edu "There goes everyone into the world but I, and I am sunburnt." -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 18:11:56 -0500 (EST) From: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Subject: Re: The new B-side CD Unfortunately, as many of us have mourned (and bemoaned) the fact, the new B-Side "Super-fueled Freakcycle" has been postponed indefinitely by Elektra. :( Sorry... On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Emily Lerche Kerr wrote: > Does anybody know when the new b-side CD will be in the stores? I'm > blanking on the name of it at the moment. > > I'd like to get it ASAP!!!!! :) > > > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 21:26:39 -0500 From: ampersnd@netaxs.com (Andrew Ross) Subject: Re: Karl Marx and other stuff... >You know, when I first heard it I took "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet >Head" as a song about organized religion... Huh. When I first heard it, I thought it was a typical TMBG nonsense-song (of which there aren't very many, once you think about it). But the last two verses make it pretty obvious what it's about. Does anyone want me to explain my interpretation? &REW ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 22:08:01 +0500 From: Patrick Savage Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-62 >Has anyone out there ever heard of The Ben Folds Five? They're >actually a trio and have a very irreverent sound. Ben folds could be >likened to Billy Joel in style but stranger, rowdier and more >sarcastic. They just played locally in Annapolis but I wasn't able to >attend since the show was Thursday and I can't do the late work nights >like I used to. Great stuff none-the-less. Check out the songs >"Julianne", "Sports and Wine" and "Uncle Walter". Really you should check out their whole CD, but some of my personal favorites are Underground (with lines like "hand me my nose ring...show me the mosh pit" you can't go wrong ) and The Last Polka which is some really swank polka! Pat --- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 22:31:47 -0600 From: hawallac@students.wisc.edu (Hilary Wallace) Subject: Mega-response Hey! I've just been (what's it called-lurking?) around here for awhile in between hellish exams and writing papers and such. But last night I had a super-exciting TMBG-related (kind of) experience. First off, I must explain that I work at the desk of my dorm about once a week, but I work hell-shift: from 11PM-7AM. Usually I rely upon a peppy radio station, (I listen to anything, particularly alternative-to answer that question...)my "Hilary's Best of TMBG tape", (yeah, like that's really possible to make) and several ice-cold Dr. Peppers to get me through the night. Well, at about 3:30 AM I felt the need to hear TMBG. (Does anyone else ever have these-uh-cravings?) So, I reached in my backpack for my tape and discovered that it was in my room! AAHHH!! So what's a girl to do? I called WMAD, an alternative station, though I'd never heard them play any They. So I chatted with the DJ for a bit and requested "Dead" (probably my favorite They Song) He said they didn't have it, but that they did have a single of "Birdhouse". (Does this help you, Matt, or do you suppose it's just a radio station thing?) So he played the song, mentioning not once, but twice that it was Hilary who requested it. Isn't that cool? I got my name on the air! (Just call me the easily amused one...) So I brought TMBG to every Madisonian listening to WMAD at 4AM. I feel so proud. Just had to share... Hilary ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-63 *****************************