Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-65 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 65 Tuesday, 14 November 1995 Today's Topics: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-64 RE: Wesley Willis #1 fan Other bands Speaking of Superfueled Freakcycle.... our love for TMBG... sorry.. sooooo sorry. Re: you=tmbg Cowtown. other bands: Wesley Willis Ana Ng (Alternate Version) Re: Karl Marx and other stuff... Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-60 Who is the #1 Fan Re: Ana Ng (Alternate Version) Shadowey Men Hi ???? Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 03:14:12 -0500 (CDT) From: "Put your hand inside the Pez dispenser Head." Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-64 Yes I concur! We shouldn't be trying to one up our love for THEY. We should just recognize the fact that we share a common interest or perhaps even a calling, to listen to, enjoy, and share this special something that we have discovered by chance or by fate. Comparing and contrasting love of they would just lead to a greatly striated class system where the upperclass would lord over all and pretty soon the peons would be in an uproar over some tax or other and then who knows what would happen. All I know is that the Johns wouldn't approve. Sorry . . . I'm kinda wired on coffee and it is three in the morning. Now for an unrelated thing . . . Anyone hear of/like/ have an opinion of the Connells? They are coming to my school this weekend to play Marriot (our cafeteria and home of the "beef potato pie") (they are playing our cafeteria because of some piano fest in our auditorium...) always in search of MacArthur Park Chris "Pez-Man" Miller ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 13 Nov 95 08:49:19 MST Subject: RE: Wesley Willis Wesley Willis is a street musician from Chicago. The Dr. Demento Show regularly features his music, (lately his song "Vampire Bat"). He ends every song with an advertising slogan from a well-known consumer product. I've only heard "Vampire Bat" and "Elvis" so far, but enjoyed them. You can order his CD's from: Wesley Willis P.O. Box 476691 Chicago, IL 60647 [home address] -or- Alternative Tentacles Records P.O. Box 419092 San Francisco, CA 94141-9092 "Wesley Willis' Greatest Hits" and other CDs available s: Vampire Bat; Elvis Presley - airdate: 8/13/95; Demento Society News #107 (9/95) ============================================================================= Russ Josephson RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 95 11:31:07 -0500 From: seakin@umich.edu Subject: #1 fan Actually, TMBG are a very zen experience. In keeping with the zen tone, their #1 fan would be someone who has never heard their music. -Sean ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 11:34:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Other bands Am I the only one surprised to note the complete absence of Frank Zappa (RIP) from this thread? Zappa, first with The Mothers of Invention and later on his own (that is, with considerable help from many world-class musicians), actually set the precendent fo such music as TMBG records and performs. Get to know Zappa's work and you'll have a deeper appreciation of Their's truly. And while I'm on this cybersoapbox, another band that recorded 1970-1980 that you should get between your ears, provided you have an open mind, is Gentle Giant. No, you won't find the kind of lyrical quirkiness or quality you might find appealing in TMBG, but what you will find is incredible musicians performing carefully composed and arranged rock music with a depth that, if you acquire the taste, will keep you coming back for more, to explore. To learn more about Gentle Giant, go to: http://www.cs.umass.edu/~barrett/gentlegiant.html Enjoy! ================================================================================ Keith Hyman | Nobody tells; everyone understands it's everybody Nashville TN 37221 USA | For Nobody. Anyone for anybody? hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| I will be responsible For Nobody. | ...Gentle Giant/The Missing Piece ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 15:44:11 -0500 From: ae333@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Robin L. Connell) Subject: Speaking of Superfueled Freakcycle.... Hello, I have this feeling that I am about to ask the already answered, but I am new and do not have this info. If despite what I have just written you are still po'd that I'm basicaly reasking a question I have two words fro..hehe for you.. Tough Patootie. But I digress...In a previous digest someone wrote that "Super- Fiueld Freakcycle" (sorry about the spelling) has been put off indefinetly by Elecktra. Was this Elecktra's brilliant idea, or was this done at the request of TMBG? Basically what is the real deal with this album? Other than in being dead in the water... By thw way sorry about me being an absolutely crap typist... Robin "Waffle" -John Lydon -- --Robin Connell...College Radio Dj Supreme.....WBNY 91.3fm.....-- ---------------"Buffalo's Original Alternative."----------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 16:00:08 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: our love for TMBG... is definitely the most important thing. I would like to make a public offer of thanks to TMBG. recently i have had the misfortune of breaking up with my girlfriend(and love of my life) of 2 years plus and one of the only things that cheer me up nowadays is the glorious music of TMBG. i know i would be a complete depressive wreck if it weren't for them so John, John, Brian, Tony, and all of you guys for making this world a better place. may the force be with us all daniel (i need my own account) meyerson ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 16:01:31 EST From: BWTB61B@prodigy.com (MR JAMES A DRESKO) Subject: sorry.. sooooo sorry. mandy cornic again, what is your email address? i sent my message to mcronic@d.umn.edu but it bounced? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 16:28:22 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: you=tmbg On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, Ancient Illuminated Seers of Bavaria wrote: > On 12 Nov 1995, Jay Brotz wrote: > > > Your #1 fan-j > > What makes him the #1 fan? I say Paul Swan is the #1 fan. > > This should make up for my usual trashing of Paul. > > I'd say that I'm #1... cauze I've a big ego. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 16:33:43 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Cowtown. If the background of Dinner Bell is that soup message, are Cowtown's backgrounds saying anything? I've distinctly heard "go" amongst the screams. Ideas? lebo ------------------------------ From: Barteaux@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 17:23:16 -0500 Subject: other bands: Wesley Willis In a message dated 95-11-13 03:29:01 EST, you write: >Has anyone ever heard the Wesley Willis Fiasco? They're from Chicago, >and rather distinctive. (Not to say that I like them. I just think >that my life has been made all the more complete by hearing them.) Wesley made it out to LA just last month. For those of you who have not had the pleasure of hearing him, he raps out of time with the music being produced by a cheesy casio keyboard. It's actually an amusing spectacle. If you have the chance, go see him, though I wouldn't pay for tickets. He sometimes appears with a band called the Fiasco's. His name has been coming up a lot recently because he made it onto a movie sound track. it was Mall Rats or something like that. and thats all i know about wesley. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ my read on this No. 1 fan thing is : the number one fan is actually a set of fans that would take the time to write about them, excuse me, i mean They. Bart Black (yes, thats my real name) ------------------------------ From: Emmanuel Donio Subject: Ana Ng (Alternate Version) Date: Mon, 13 Nov 95 18:41:35 18000 Hi there, my name is Manny, and this is a message. Now that that's out of the way, I can respond to a message someone left (Emily Kerr) regarding the alternate version of "Ana Ng". It's really not all that different from the original version. The only real difference is that it's perhaps a little "rockier" and it has a an opening sequence of one of the Johns saying "I hear the drums...." or something like that. It's not worth getting the CD for, and it's not likely to be on any album, it's just a small concert variant of the original song. Since I'm already writing this letter, I may as well say that I eagerly await the arrival of Superfueled freaksickle, and I'm wearing a brand new pair of socks. Thank you. There is no junior, Emmanuel Donio Sr. (Manny) -- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 21:31:29 -0500 (EST) From: Jennifer Carpenter Subject: Re: Karl Marx and other stuff... On Sat, 11 Nov 1995, Andrew Ross wrote: > >You know, when I first heard it I took "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet > >Head" as a song about organized religion... > > Huh. When I first heard it, I thought it was a typical TMBG nonsense-song > (of which there aren't very many, once you think about it). But the last > two verses make it pretty obvious what it's about. Does anyone want me to > explain my interpretation? > > &REW >Yes, Please make yourself clear mArjOriE > > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 21:37:39 -0500 (EST) From: Jennifer Carpenter Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-60 On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, Francesca Parker wrote: > "I'm a Pez, He's a Pez, wouldn't you like to be a Pez too?" > wrote (and quite some time ago, too): > > > If They were not a Musical Group what would they be? > > I think Flans would be a lounge singer - purple velour, smoking jacket, > Hefner-esqe hospitality - the works. > > Linnell would be...somebody's sidekick: Roberto Alonzo LeMeur. > > I, on the other hand, remain, > > franny. > Linnell would be a disgruntaled postal worker. . . a private musical > tutor on the side. > Flans would be a train conductor, or a magazine sales person. > mArjOriE. ------------------------------ From: KShumwayUT@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 23:02:48 -0500 Subject: Who is the #1 Fan This #1 fan bit is a joke. I do agree that we all are fans of TMBG and this whole topic remindes me of a song.... "He wants a shoe horn.. The kind with teeth... People should get beat up for stating thier beliefs" and thats all I have to say about that.... KS ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 23:16:04 -0600 (CST) From: Brooks Ann Camper Subject: Re: Ana Ng (Alternate Version) On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Emmanuel Donio wrote: > that's out of the way, I can respond to a message someone left (Emily > Kerr) regarding the alternate version of "Ana Ng". It's really not > all that different from the original version. The only real > difference is that it's perhaps a little "rockier" and it has a an > opening sequence of one of the Johns saying "I hear the drums...." or > something like that. It's not worth getting the CD for, and it's not This isn't the alternate version. I think the version that she was speaking of was the dial a song version where the lyrics are not even the same. The song starts "Make a hole with a pistol at point blank range"... it is quite different and definitely worth hearing. brooks ann ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 00:00:05 -0600 (CST) From: Lokshin Michael S Subject: Shadowey Men A while back someone mentioned Shadowey Men On A Shadowey Planet... All I have to say to that is "Dim the Lights, Chill the Ham" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 01:48:17 EST From: BALSAC Subject: Hi Hi, my name is Tim. I'm new to the list. I was just wondering if anyone has had a chance or opportunity to listen to the new album? If so, could you let me know how it is. Be objective. Just because they are cool, doesn't mean they always put out there best stuff. Thanks ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 01:34:53 -0600 From: gnatlas@students.wisc.edu (Genevieve Atlas) Subject: ???? I've heard WMAD play TMBG before at normal hours and, incidentally, I saw a car parked in front of the Elvehjem last week w/ the license plate TMBG. Just Telling... But Just wait until WLHA returns. We're gonna rock MAD's alterna-wimp asses out of Madison. :) Gennie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-65 *****************************