Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-66 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 66 Wednesday, 15 November 1995 Today's Topics: Re:Other bands Query Dial-A-Song Speaking of Flans.... They Might Be Giants--The Movie rumor STill a fAn irc top ten songs that THEY should cover Re: They Might Be Giants--The Movie (none) rumor (fwd) hate mail homepages Michael jackson? (none) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:37:06 -0600 (CST) From: The Artist Formerly known as Joe Subject: Re:Other bands Query On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Jacob T. Eidsmoe wrote: > I have to say something about this one... > > If you're promoting Camper Van Bethoven, you must mention the song > "Pictures Of Matchstick Men!" Definately, their best song... > Let Me Clarify, Camper Van Bethoven (Camper) was a "college" band during the mid to late 1980's they were known for there short whimsical songs with catchy pop lyrics that sorta of made sense. The creative forces behind the band were David Lowery some guy named Hickman, Lary I think. They released several albums including CamperVan Bethoven, II & 3, Telephon Free Landslide Victory, Key Lime Pie, Camper Vantiquities (B-sides). Thier sound was bizare pop. they used alot of violins. One T.M.B.G. song that sounds like it could be a camper song is Istanbul (Not Constantinopol). Circa 1989 the band went thier seperate ways after trying several different lineups. lowery started a blues Rock band called Cracker wich has two albums, including Kerosene Hat(Remember Being with you is like being Low). Our boy hickman also started a pretty cool band called Monks of Doom which has a few albums including Forgery, and Breakfast on the Beaches of Deception. Camper's most famous single's were Take the Skinheads Bowling from Telephone, and Pictures of Matchstick Men from Key Lime Pie. wich brings me to another point. Camper was a band of thieves. Pictures is not thiers originaly. It was done by some band in the 60's or 70's. Alot of the gitar riffs are stollen too. This is no reason not to check out this realy cool band. Thank you for reading this posting. Joe ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Tue, 14 Nov 95 08:34:01 MST Subject: Dial-A-Song Hi, Everybody!, I have an idea. When a new song is put on the Dial-A-Song service, could that fact be posted to this list? That would save us folks in the west from more toll calls. (Yes, I know it's free when you call from work!) By the way, I've been listening to: *----------------------------------- Grant W McClannan (?sp) - heard "Easy Come, Easy Go" on the radio and couldn't resist buying it at $3 W. A. Mozart - "Requiem Mass" You did see the movie Amadeus, didn't you? TMBG - "misc T" and "John Henry" I will kiss the girl from Venus for science! October Project - first album and NEW "Falling Further In" I love the lead singer's rich alto voice! Doctor Demento - Basement Tapes, Vol 1, 2, and 3 Favorite unsigned artists from '82, '83, and '84, including rare "Wierd Al" Yankovic Joe Jackson - "Night Music" his latest release He still defies catagorization, and is working on a symphony Old favorites are: The Sundays, Steely Dan, Moody Blues, America, Frank Zappa, Chicago, Thompson Twins, Billy Joel, Beethoven, Schubert, Billy Bragg, Tonio K, Howard Jones I've probably forgotten some favorites at the moment... ============================================================================= Russ Josephson RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 13:02:00 -0500 From: ae333@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Robin L. Connell) Subject: Speaking of Flans.... Hello, I just must add my two cents to the question: What would John & John do if they weren't in TMBG...Linnell, I don't know but i have this humorous vision of him being a infomercial salesguy. As for Flansburgh I think he would do well as one of those religious fanatics who show up at you door to give you pamphlets on the end of the world.... Robin. "There are others, and then there is Myself." - The Dead Milkmen -- --Robin Connell...College Radio Dj Supreme.....WBNY 91.3fm.....-- ---------------"Buffalo's Original Alternative."----------------- ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Tue, 14 Nov 95 11:06:47 MST Subject: They Might Be Giants--The Movie I read in the FAQ that TMBG took their name from a movie of that name from the early 70's. Last week I rented that movie. It's about a man who thinks that he is Sherlock Holmes, the great detective of fiction. His brother contacts a doctor to have him committed. Her name is Dr. Watson. She wants to help him, and he wants to make a detective out of her. For me, the key dialogue of the movie, where the title comes from, follows: Holmes: Here, what do you make of it? Watson: God, you're just like Don Quixote, you think everything's always something else. Holmes: Heh, heh, heh, well he had a point. Of course, he carried it a bit too far. He thought that every windmill was a giant. That's insane. But, thinking that they might be ... Well, all the best minds used to think the world was flat. But, what if it isn't? It might be round. And bread mold might be medicine. If we never looked at things and thought of what they might be, why, we'd all still be out there in the tall grass with the apes. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Nov 95 14:23 EST From: "Diamond Jim (President of Planet Booty)" Subject: rumor anybody hear the rumor that linnell is dead? i heard two references to it. one supposably from Mtv news, the other on lambda moo. Do tell. ------------------------------ From: "Frankenberry" Organization: John Brown University Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 15:08:36 GMT-5 Subject: STill a fAn Howdy, Privates! > > > Your #1 fan-j > > > > What makes him the #1 fan? I say Paul Swan is the #1 fan. > > > > This should make up for my usual trashing of Paul. > > > > > I'd say that I'm #1... cauze I've a big ego. I vote for BEEN OR BEENY WEENY the FRIKKIN' FEENY cuz he's just SUCH a COOL and HAPPENIN' DUDE!!! YOU be #1, VERB MAN!!!! chronologically, Frank ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 17:32:57 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: irc For the irc chat, what server is #tmbg on? And what time, he asks once again. lebo ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 21:04:25 -0500 Subject: top ten songs that THEY should cover hello im new to this list...but ive been lurking around for about five issues or so. so here goes..... The Top 10 songs id like to see covered by They Might Be Giants.....(in no order) 10. Pere Ubu -wasted; (they influenced They, so why not a little tribute?) 9. Talking Heads-once in a lifetime; 8. Bob Dylan- Subtarraenen Homesick Blues; (wouldnt that be cool?) 7. REM- a polka'd out version of What's the frequency Kenneth, or maybe Its the end of the world as we know it 6.The Blue Oyster Cult- Godzilla anyone? 5. Rocky Horror...-Time Warp; someone on the newsgroup suggested it and it sounds like a great idea dont it? 4. King Missile- it's saturday or Ed 3. Meat Puppets- Station or Sam (they covered the puppets before why not again?) 2. Pink Floyd- Money....sure its overplayed but it would sound great!!! 1. The Beatles- Lucy in the sky w/ diamonds; sure why not? ok go about flaming me now... lurking again.... the plaguerat ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 20:20:28 -0600 From: red eyed troll Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants--The Movie if you haven't seen the movie TMBG, it is worth renting. I saw it one day when i got a phone call from a friend who frantically told me to put it on channel 12, and there it was. It has the sort of paranoid bizarre feel that tmbg do. do it. paul ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 21:16:04 -0600 (CST) From: Jennifer Elaine Klauke Hello, my name is Jenny, and I...I can't call Dial-a-song. (Hi, Jenny!) I've been trying, believe me, I've tried. But everytime, I get a busy signal, and it's just too...damn...hard! I can't go on! (Break into tears here.) Umm...no, really. I've tried every time of the day (just about,) and it's ALWAYS BUSY! One time, I waited until 2a.m. and then tried for almost a solid hour. Does anyone have any tips? Dialing methods? Anything? Or am I simply destined not to call? Puh-lease! ############################################################################## "You can put high-heels on a poodle, but that won't make it a hooker." - Ellen DeGeneres Jenny Klauke - SwankGirl - jek4911@tam2000.tamu.edu and now, Jenny! The URL - http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html Kid-tested, Mother-approved. ############################################################################## ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: rumor (fwd) Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 22:50:58 -0500 (EST) > > anybody hear the rumor that linnell is dead? i heard two references to it. > > one supposably from Mtv news, the other on lambda moo. Do tell. > I doubt MTV news would even mention it... -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 17:02:03 +1300 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: hate mail I just got a nasty letter from the postmaster @ silicon.net and it told me mail to TMBG digest (and from!! Nooo!) wasn't allowed to go to my address (I presume by address they mean michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz, which doesn't make me feel all that happy because 1) I have never herard of silicon net up till now and 2) I didn't do anything wrong, I'm just being persecuted for my beliefs. Plus I haven't gotten a digest in practically ages, so it looks frim. Help!! ******************************************* "Very funny Scotty, Now beam down my clothes..." ******************************************* Michael Carr University Of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, ~Where Our Motto Is: "There's Baloney In Our Slacks" ******************************************* ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: homepages Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 23:07:13 -0500 (EST) Just out of curiosity which of you have TMBG homepages (or even just any homepage?) I was just wondering how many HTMLers there are out there. --Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Michael jackson? Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 23:15:07 -0500 (EST) I was listening to Youth Culture Killed my Dog just now and I noticed something. When Flans sings "Bacharach and David used to write his favorite songs Never would he worry (he he he) he'd just run and fetch the ball" doesn't it almost sound like Flans is pulling a Michael Jackson during the (he he he) or something. Ya know that is a truly scary thought. I absolutely love that part of the song though, so it must not be Michael Jacksonish! Just a strange observation.... --Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 23:52:50 EST From: BALSAC I thought I was big once, she changed my mind ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-66 *****************************