Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-67 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 67 Thursday, 16 November 1995 Today's Topics: Re: homepages Good Times Rumor Mill.... Re: Rumor Mill.... Re: Good Times Re: homepages Homepages flans dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RE: Dial A Song Re: Digest #1-61 & See the Pretty Star Design Re: flans dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Re: Dial A Song Re: homepages Puppetry meat-puppes It's Mack The Knife!! (or Mac Tonight) Re: Puppetry Re: Puppetry Re: Dial A Song (fwd) Re: Dial A Song (fwd) chain letter What are you? Re: What are you? Re: Shadowy Men Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 07:36:52 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: homepages >Just out of curiosity which of you have TMBG homepages (or even just any >homepage?) >I was just wondering how many HTMLers there are out there. Actually, I'm in the process of building a links page for www.tmbg.org, and I'm going to include a section for home pages of all the giantheads I can find. My method so far has been to do Inktomi searches for "tmbg" and trying to sort out all the links I get into the appropriate categories. But if anyone here has a page of their own (Giants-related or not), please send me the URL so I can add it to my list--I may not have found it the other way. Thanks. --Jon *--------------------------------------------------------------------- jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org Visit the TMBG Interpretation Archive at http://www.tmbg.org/interp/ -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a17 C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K++ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 95 10:27:06 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Good Times > Ok this doesn't have to do with TMBG but everyone please thake the > time to read this! > > There is a new virus on the Net. It is said that this virus is more > destructive than any in the past. The only way the virus is spread > is through E-mail. Once on your computer it E-mails everyone on your > mailing list. So if anyone recieves a message with the subject "Good > Times" DELETE it imedeatly! This is no joke the FCC released a > warning last Wednesday. Please warn as many people as possible. > > sloan.... > > Oh geeze not again. Doesn't anyone realize that you can't get a virus from mail, or let alone any form of text. You have to program it and make it into an executable file that does the damage you want it to do. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 11:37:15 -0500 From: ae333@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Robin L. Connell) Subject: Rumor Mill.... Hello All, Oh dear, a rumor that Linnell is dead? I don't think that he is, but for the fun of it let's all get our various TMBG covers and see if we can find obscure references to him being dead. Maybe this is akin to that rumor that Paul McCartney is dead...Maybe Linnell has been dead for years and was replaced with a very accurate, rather clever robot. Hey, you never know.... Robin. ""Waffle" - John Lydon -- --Robin Connell...College Radio Dj Supreme.....WBNY 91.3fm.....-- ---------------"Buffalo's Original Alternative."----------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 11:37:17 -0600 (CST) From: Lokshin Michael S Subject: Re: Rumor Mill.... Well, If Linnel is dead, we do know that someday he'll return as a bag of groceries accidentally taken off the shelf before the expiration date. ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Good Times Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 11:42:47 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Adam P. Fistler: >> There is a new virus on the Net. It is said that this virus is more [...] >Oh geeze not again. Doesn't anyone realize that you can't get a virus from mail, or >let alone any form of text. You have to program it and make it into an executable >file that does the damage you want it to do. This is not entirely true :( A few months ago, word-processor viruses started spreading. They work by using the autoloading macro features of the word process to do dastardly deeds. Thus, simply by loading a Word document (for example) you can zap your hard drive. Of course, if you just get the text of the document, and not the document itself, you're still safe (but you lose the font/formatting info). ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 12:25:52 -0600 (CST) From: Jennifer Elaine Klauke Subject: Re: homepages Everyone, feel free to check out my page. The URL is http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html Satisfaction is NOT guaranteed, but, hey-- if you have anything you want to share, one look at my page will let you know just how much I need it. ############################################################################## "I am not even faintly like a rose." - The Great Gatsby Jenny Klauke - SwankGirl@tamu.edu - http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html ############################################################################## ------------------------------ From: THOMASVB@CEDAR.GOSHEN.EDU Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 15:29:09 -0500 (EST) Subject: Homepages Mine is http://www.goshen.edu/personal/thomasvb/ Check it out. It has a TMBG link, but is mainly an Unrealated Thing. ------------------------------ From: Barteaux@aol.com Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 15:58:52 -0500 Subject: flans dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't be silly, we all know that if flans died the universe would spontaneously colapse. does anyone have any theories on what themostat (the song) is about. i've come up with personal versions of what the 'real' message of most songs are but this one i havn't really pinned anything down on. please respond so my life can be complete. hey paul swan "hammer down" someone told me to say that if i came across you, don't remember who. (problably heard that one before, huh?) &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& "I'm so brillient, I confuse my self" -BBlack- &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& tip of the day: "If you want to expand your mind, put up mirrors. They'll make any space seem twice as big." Bart 'hands of fate' Black ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 15:09:47 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: RE: Dial A Song When I was in New York City last March, I tried to use the Dial A Song service and all I got was a high pitched noise. I wonder if I was dialing wrong because I thought it would be a local call to Brooklyn just like it says in the CD's. I can't remember if I tried the area code and stuff. If people from NYC can call and have it be local, and free, I'm jealous. I think I'll go try and call from here. :) Wish me LUCK! Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 15:40:03 -0600 From: Mike Schaefer Subject: Re: Digest #1-61 & See the Pretty Star Design Hello all TMGers, I need to defend myself re the backwards message on StC. I carefully recorded that sound and listened to it over and over. I have made a copy of it, and will have it posted on my Home Page very soon. Hopefully that will end the confusion on this topic. -- Mike Schaefer Urbana, IL mtschaef@students.uiuc.edu wakkow@aol.com http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~mtschaef/home.html ------------------------------ Subject: Re: flans dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 16:10:17 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Barteaux@aol.com: >does anyone have any theories on what themostat (the song) is about. i've >come up with personal versions of what the 'real' message of most songs are >but this one i havn't really pinned anything down on. please respond so my >life can be complete. This is a neat trick that I discovered, and I don't know if it was intentional or not. If you record John Henry (the CD) on a 90 minute cassette tape, it will not fit completely on one 45 minute side (JH is 58 minutes long.) The break occurs right in the middle of Thermostat, and the first line that is sung after the break is: "I was just talking and/Someone interrupted." Spooky, eh? ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Dial A Song Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 16:19:53 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Ana Ng: >When I was in New York City last March, I tried to use the Dial A Song >service and all I got was a high pitched noise. I wonder if I was dialing >wrong because I thought it would be a local call to Brooklyn just like it >says in the CD's. I can't remember if I tried the area code and stuff. If >people from NYC can call and have it be local, and free, I'm jealous. One thing to look out for is that the the Apollo 18 has the wrong number printed. The right number is +1-718-387-6962 (flame if i'm wrong, i'm going by memory :) Or it may be an area code question; Minneapolis/St. Paul isn't big enough for that to be an issue. ============================================ cab@cis.umn.edu Chris Bongaarts University of Minnesota bong0004@gold.tc.umn.edu My opinions are my own, and they are right. cab@acm.cs.umn.edu WWW URL: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cab CBongo@IRC (channel #umn) ------------------------------ From: Moogleboy@aol.com Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:11:57 -0500 Subject: Re: homepages I have a tmbg related hompage with a couple of digitized song clips and MIDI files. Its not much since I don't know much about HTML but it works. Moogleboy@aol.com http://users.aol.com/moogleboy/private/TMBG.htm ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 12:32:07 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Puppetry I spelt 'baloney' (Bologna??) wrong and used it out of context in a different .sig file, says one ardent veiwer from Bloomington, Indiana, and I am sorry, I call the stuff luncheon sausage and I watch too much animaniacs. Shoot me. But this is irrelevant to our cause and not why I am here. I want to know: one) Who did the original of Istanbul? In the writers credits, the acknowledgements for Istanbul belong to someone else, so it must be a cover, so says I two) Which Meat Puppets song did TMBG cover? And then I'll throw my 2 cents in (check your exchange rates, it may be worth less in American money, but this is a small country and I don't care) The songs they should cover: "Super Trooper" By ABBA, as covered also by the Headless Chickens (that would be so funny) "O Canada" because I don't know how it goes and I'd like to hear it covered by someone I like... "Mack The Knife" By Louis Armstrong, and covered by lotsa people, but defintely best by Ella Fitzgerald, because I like jazz, and I like TMBG and here's a crossover. the theme song to 'Animaniacs' because I like TMBG and I like animaniacs, even if TVNZ are hideously out of date with episodes, and this again is a crossover, and after all a character named Jakko and modelled after Flansburgh or Linnell would go great. And that is all. Mike ...the sun is a mass of incondescent gas, and it's out in force toda, summer is great, holidays are great and I"m on them and you aren't!Nyaaa!...er...bye...I mean bye... ********************************************** In the phrase "what time is it?" - What does 'it' refer to? Michael Carr (Email: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz) University Of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand; where our motto is: "If it ain't broke, break it...er...don't fix it" ********************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 95 18:52 EST From: "Diamond Jim (President of Planet Booty)" Subject: meat-puppes wasn't the song whirlpool by the meat puppets? ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Parker" Organization: Agnes Scott College Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:52:53 EST Subject: It's Mack The Knife!! (or Mac Tonight) On 16 Nov 95 at 12:32, Michael Carr wrote: > "Mack The > Knife" By Louis Armstrong, and covered by lotsa people, but > defintely best by Ella Fitzgerald, That song is not actually BY Louis Armstrong. It is from "Three-Penny Opera" a play written by Bertolt Brecht and with music written by somebody else. Brecht wrote the lyrics though. Itis a great song, so I just wanted to clear up the authorship credits. It was originally in German, though--so dopes anybody know who translated it? On a TMBG note, has anyone ever noticed the fact that "yo yo yo" is the first-person singular subject pronoun in Spanish, relating to its presence in Mr. Me. Is that the name of that song? I only have a dubbed copy. Anyway, I found that coinicidence interesting, and wondered if They intentionally did it or not. Jennifer ############################################################ "If it wasn't for disappointments, I wouldn't have any appointments." Jennifer Parker jparker@agnes.scottlan.edu ################################################################## ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:01:23 -0600 From: Paul Leonard Subject: Re: Puppetry At 12:32 PM 11/16/95 +1200, Michael Carr wrote: >I spelt 'baloney' (Bologna??) wrong and used it out of context in a >different .sig file, says one ardent veiwer from Bloomington, Indiana, and >I am sorry, I call the stuff luncheon sausage and I watch too much >animaniacs. Shoot me. BANG! >two) Which Meat Puppets song did TMBG cover? whirlpool, and it's located on the WDTSS (Why does the Sun Shine?) single/CD-5. on another note, i, too, also have a homepage, as it says in my .sig; the tmbg page isn't quite up to perfect yet, but it's there. just click around on the map until you find it. (I think it's the moon) paul ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 13:29:44 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Re: Puppetry At 18:01 15/11/95, Paul Leonard wrote: >>I spelt 'baloney' (Bologna??) wrong and used it out of context in a >>different .sig file, says one ardent veiwer from Bloomington, Indiana, and >>I am sorry, I call the stuff luncheon sausage and I watch too much >>animaniacs. Shoot me. >BANG! wow Slappy squirrel says that all the time and noone ever takes her up on it...maybe I'm just special...or *gasp* maybe it isn't real after all... >>two) Which Meat Puppets song did TMBG cover? >whirlpool, and it's located on the WDTSS (Why does the Sun Shine?) single/CD-5. oh okay...I haven't got or seen that but I dohave a dubbed copy of the title track >on another note, i, too, also have a homepage, as it says in my .sig; the >tmbg page isn't quite up to perfect yet, but it's there. just click around >on the map until you find it. (I think it's the moon) oh you are gonna love this (well I doubt it) but I can't get www sites outside of New Zealand...what an efficient university, no wonder I'm bloody leaving (cc: tmbg digest...I see this comment wasn't aimed at me...well i wrote it so I ain't deleting it) ********************************************** In the phrase "what time is it?" - What does 'it' refer to? Michael Carr (Email: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz) University Of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand; where our motto is: "If it ain't broke, break it...er...don't fix it" ********************************************** ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Dial A Song (fwd) Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 19:40:20 -0500 (EST) > > In the immortal words of Ana Ng: > > >When I was in New York City last March, I tried to use the Dial A Song > >service and all I got was a high pitched noise. I wonder if I was dialing > >wrong because I thought it would be a local call to Brooklyn just like it > >says in the CD's. I can't remember if I tried the area code and stuff. If > >people from NYC can call and have it be local, and free, I'm jealous. > > One thing to look out for is that the the Apollo 18 has the wrong > number printed. The right number is +1-718-387-6962 (flame if i'm > wrong, i'm going by memory :) Or it may be an area code question; > Minneapolis/St. Paul isn't big enough for that to be an issue. I have heard that there are different area codes within New York City but because the area is so close together that they end up not being long distance calls. If it were no one would ever call anyone in another Burrough. This is true in the Washington, DC area as well. One of our work data lines is out of Alexandria, VA which is a (703) area code, DC is a (202) area code and Southwestern Maryland is (301). But all of these fall within the same latta so you can call among these places and it won't be long distance. So more than likely it would not have been long distance for your call to Dial-A-Song but you may have dialed the wrong number.... --Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 20:22:56 -0600 (CST) From: Jennifer Elaine Klauke Subject: Re: Dial A Song (fwd) It's true! There are a gazillion people in NYC, so it's split into lots'o'area codes. It's not long distance for my uncle to call where he works, and he's in Brooklyn, and works in Manhattan. So, it's just that too many people screwed the broth or however that completely inappropriate cliche goes. By the by, I GOT THROUGH TO DIAL-A-SONG! In case you were wondering, and all. I called at 4:13 in the afternoon-- too bad long distance prices don't drop 'till five on my thingy. ############################################################################## "Real ugly girls have it tough." - The Catcher in the Rye Jenny Klauke - SwankGirl@tamu.edu - http://acs.tamu.edu/~jek4911/index.html ############################################################################## ------------------------------ From: gt0008a@prism.gatech.edu (Dave Curylo) Subject: chain letter Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 22:09:55 -0500 (EST) What's up with this. I hate E-mail chain letters. Cut it out. It's bullshit and now it's embarrassing bullshit. Who the hell are you anyway? This is the shittiest chain letter ever. It's worse than those cry-baby I have a terminal illness ones. Do I care who has a terminal illness? We all have a terminal illness and it's called death. It's coming up on everyone and we can feel sorry for each other all we want so we don't have to bullshit about it to anyone else. They Might Be Giants or they could just be full of shit you fucking poser. Thanks for playing, FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! Dave Curylo at gatech.edu ------------------------------ From: gt0008a@prism.gatech.edu (Dave Curylo) Subject: What are you? Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 22:11:45 -0500 (EST) Who are you? Is this a valid list or as incalid as the BS virus? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:01:45 +0200 From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Subject: Re: What are you? >Who are you? Is this a valid list or as incalid as the BS virus? What are we? We are love. We are light. We are happiness. We are Rabid. -Rabid Child * * * * * * * * * * * _Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com_ No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 22:23:21 -0800 From: toddj1@hooked.net (Todd Johnson) Subject: Re: Shadowy Men Michael Lokshin wrote... >A while back someone mentioned Shadowey Men On A Shadowey Planet... >All I have to say to that is "Dim the Lights, Chill the Ham" What about Big Baby? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-67 *****************************