Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-68 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 68 Friday, 17 November 1995 Today's Topics: RE: Dial A Song Parents. Re: Parents. Re: chain letter Re: What are you? Re: Parents. Parents. catalog Re: catalog Chain letter anxieties.... Re:Homepage A Testicular Dinner, aka Oral XTC Dial a song... Re: Dial a song... Re: catalog XTC tribute Re: Parents. Re: XTC tribute Let the thermolympics begin! Istanbul... Re: Let the thermolympics begin! RE: Dial A Song RE: Good Times catalog XTC... Re: XTC tribute A Testicular Dinner, aka Oral XTC (fwd) Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 02:04:08 -0600 From: red eyed troll Subject: RE: Dial A Song I call dial a song fairly frequently, and have noticed over the past year several problems with it. Every once in a while, it will be down, and not work at all. Either the phone will ring forever and not pick up, or there will be a busy signal no matter when, or how many times you call. but keep trying, one day it will answer and it awaits... lnod (oh well, no letter looks like an upsidedown a) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:11:16 -0500 (EST) From: Speaker for the Dead Subject: Parents. I was just wondering the other day for no apparent reason at all (the best kind of reason, BTW) if the Johns have current, living parents. I don't think I've ever heard anything about Them that even mentioned their parents. Of course we can assume that they had parents at least at one time because they had households in which to grow up with the space songs album (including 'Why Does the Sun Shine?'). Also, I would have thought it would have been mentioned if any number of them had died. Has anyone read any articles on They that mentions who the parents of our beloved John and John might be? Sure this is an odd question, but what are freaks around for anyway?!?! :) -Nathan, that great Linnell-freak on the ground *------------------------------------------------------------------------ "I thought you must be dead," Arthur said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided that I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. I kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic." Arthur cleared his throat, and then did it again. "Where," he said, "did you...?" "Find a gin and tonic?" said Ford brightly. "I found a small lake that thought it was a gin and tonic, and jumped in and out of that. At least, I think it thought it was a gin and tonic. "I may," he added with a grin that would have sent sane men scampering into trees, "have been imagining it." -Douglas Adams: Life, the Universe, and Everything ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 09:55:12 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Parents. > I was just wondering the other day for no apparent reason at all (the > best kind of reason, BTW) if the Johns have current, living parents. I > don't think I've ever heard anything about Them that even mentioned their > parents. Of course we can assume that they had parents at least at one > time because they had households in which to grow up with the space songs > album (including 'Why Does the Sun Shine?'). Also, I would have thought > it would have been mentioned if any number of them had died. Has anyone > read any articles on They that mentions who the parents of our beloved > John and John might be? Sure this is an odd question, but what are > freaks around for anyway?!?! :) > Yes, this was brough up in thier winter catalog. They both have both (or that was my impress of what I can remeber of it) of thier parents living and they both follow thier carrers and have all of thier stuff. The only execption is Linnell's(?) I think it was mother, who didn't care for modren music but liked what they said. If anyone has thier catalog on hand they could prorbally answer it better than I could (cuz I'm at work and don't have it here). ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 10:00:27 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: chain letter > What's up with this. I hate E-mail chain letters. Cut it out. It's > bullshit and now it's embarrassing bullshit. Who the hell are you anyway? > This is the shittiest chain letter ever. It's worse than those cry-baby > I have a terminal illness ones. Do I care who has a terminal illness? We > all have a terminal illness and it's called death. It's coming up on > everyone and we can feel sorry for each other all we want so we don't have > to bullshit about it to anyone else. They Might Be Giants or they could > just be full of shit you fucking poser. Does what he said make sence to anyone else or is it just rattling cuss words that he thinks makes him sound cool to you too? And what does he mean by email chain letters? Do he mean this list. If he hates mailing list so much why'd he subscribe to it? Its not like the list sought him out and forced him to subscribe. I wonder what the postmaster there thinks of what he is writting. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 10:01:43 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: What are you? > Who are you? Is this a valid list or as incalid as the BS virus? > We are stardust, we are golden...... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:44:38 -0600 From: red eyed troll Subject: Re: Parents. >If anyone has thier catalog on hand they could prorbally answer it better than I >could (cuz I'm at work and don't have it here). and so says the newsletter: Do your parents like your music? L) My dad is a pretty rabid follower of our music. He has opinions on almost every song. My mom is generally not as interested in contemporary pop music, but she likes our lyrics and has all the records. F) My folks are big boosters. They wear our t-shirts at shows. I always inadvertently swear when they're at a show. I don't usually, really, Ma, you gotta believe me... me too! i wear their tshirts at shows... and on the dial a song side of things... the song last night, at least at 4:00 in the morning when i finally got ready to go to bed, was Don't make me kill you again. which reminds me of the waycoolest quote i found in a newspaper article talking about john henry. since i'm allready getting articles out... "Mr Flansburgh says the expansion isn't such a big 'philosophical' departure for the band. 'It's more like lashing the booster rocket onto the little Might Be Giants space capsule. It doesn't change our direction, it just changes our velocity.'" that's from the Dallas Morning News, oct 31 1994 for anyone who is curious, and if you're not, maybe you should be. you might need help. and so... paul ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Parents. Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 11:03:20 -0500 (EST) > > I was just wondering the other day for no apparent reason at all (the > best kind of reason, BTW) if the Johns have current, living parents. I > don't think I've ever heard anything about Them that even mentioned their > parents. Of course we can assume that they had parents at least at one > time because they had households in which to grow up with the space songs > album (including 'Why Does the Sun Shine?'). Also, I would have thought > it would have been mentioned if any number of them had died. Has anyone > read any articles on They that mentions who the parents of our beloved > John and John might be? Sure this is an odd question, but what are > freaks around for anyway?!?! :) Ohh, I got a few more minutes and the secretary women are leaving. My friend just got the new TMBG mailing list newsletter and in there they had a question and answer session. One of them asked about their 'rents. Linnell said that his dad was pretty heavily into their music but that his mom wasn't really into it. I believe that Flans said something like 'Whenever our parents come to the shows I try not to let out any expletives but for some reason they always come out at one time or another' or something like that, very rough translation ;) So it would appear that their parents are indeed alive and well. --Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: catalog Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 11:10:02 -0500 (EST) Ya know The new snail mail catalog is pretty awesome, it looks like they re-released the singles again. And you have GOT to love the O Tananbaum t-shirt! I'm gonna get that long sleeve style shirt and I think the first album shirt (I've been dying to get that for ages, didn't even know one existed). Plus now we can all fill out our singles collection that we thought we'd never get. Ya know I guess that explains why I saw a brand new The Guitar single at the record store, I was sure they weren't around anymore. Oh the deadline (for anyone who cares) for ordering stuff to get here by Christmas is Nov. 22 if paying by check and I believe Dec. 8 for those paying for credit card. I might order a little early just in case. --Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 11:41:29 -0500 (EST) From: El Medio Filipino Subject: Re: catalog how do you ghet this catalog? i have never heard of it before paul On Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Matthew James wrote: > Ya know > The new snail mail catalog is pretty awesome, it looks like they > re-released the singles again. And you have GOT to love the O Tananbaum > t-shirt! I'm gonna get that long sleeve style shirt and I think the > first album shirt (I've been dying to get that for ages, didn't even > know one existed). Plus now we can all fill out our singles collection > that we thought we'd never get. Ya know I guess that explains why I > saw a brand new The Guitar single at the record store, I was sure they > weren't around anymore. Oh the deadline (for anyone who cares) for ordering > stuff to get here by Christmas is Nov. 22 if paying by check and I believe > Dec. 8 for those paying for credit card. I might order a little early > just in case. > --Matt > -- > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College > "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG > "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash > Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 12:00:12 -0500 From: ae333@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Robin L. Connell) Subject: Chain letter anxieties.... Hello, Did I spell anxieties right? Oh well you all know what a bad typist I am.....Was that swearing chain letter post really necessary? I don't think so...Of course I also didn't understand it either, but no one ever sends me chain letters (now that I've written that I'll have 100 of them by tomorrow) so I don't understand the fuss... One moment I see a post that Linnell is dead, and the next day I'm reading through the digest and I see a title "Flans Dead!!!!" (it was something like that)....It seems They Might Be Giants...or they just might be nothing at all. Hey you never know... Robin. "People should get beat up for stating their belifes" -TMBG "Waffle." - John Lydon -- --Robin Connell...College Radio Dj Supreme.....WBNY 91.3fm.....-- ---------------"Buffalo's Original Alternative."----------------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 20:33:17 +0100 (MET) From: Stefan Blixt Subject: Re:Homepage On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Matthew James wrote: > Just out of curiosity which of you have TMBG homepages (or even just any homepage?) > I was just wondering how many HTMLers there are out there. > --Matt In my homepage I have a bunch of TMBG lyrics which I have translated into Esperanto (you got to bring meaning to your life in some way, right?) The URL is: http://www.ludat.lth.se/~dat93sbl/esperanto.html /Blixt ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:49:24 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: A Testicular Dinner, aka Oral XTC Alright, got your attention, let's see if I can hold it! Ben or Been here, on the subject of _A Testimonial Dinner_, that infamous tribute album to the BritPop band that sounds like the drug. On TMBG's rendition of "25 O'Clock," there is a backwards-sounding message just after a lot of musical calamity in the middle of the song. [I hope this makes the FAQ. :) ] Can anyone decipher it? Does anyone have the capability of reversing the song? Responses, personal or Digestible, would be much appreciated. Also, the following song on the album, by a group called "Terry and the Lovemen": Is that *not* Andy Partridge singing lead vocals? Isn't "Terry and the Lovemen" actually XTC, or at least Andy P.? Reasons I think it is Andy: 1. The only song the producer of the album produced was with this band. Kinda strange to me, for I would think if the producer wanted anyone, he'd want XTC, and would pay the moola. 2. The credits in the song go to the last-nameless "Terry," as if we should all know him. I've never heard of "Terry." 3. On the cover, "Terry and the Lovemen" get the last credit, a fairly special spot after the word "and." Again, I've never heard of 'em. 4. The song is a B-side (I'd never heard it), and it could easily be a candidate for the album. Maybe even a remake. 5. The song sounds in this "cover" of it too much like the XTC sound, with the echoes and the voice and all. Have you, mighty album grabbers, deciphered the XTC mystery on this album? Yours, XTatiCly, TMBGly, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 12:02:01 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: Dial a song... I was sick at home yesterday, so I called dial a song (it's free if you call on your parent's line...) I got a song that sounded like some take off of Ondine, because in the backround they kept repeating "Don't make me kill you again". I guess I have unusual luck with dial a song... I will usually get through after about five tries. It never works if I press "redial" though. Only when I dial the whole number over again. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:15:01 -0600 From: Paul Leonard Subject: Re: Dial a song... At 12:02 PM 11/16/95 -0800, Liam Singer wrote: >I was sick at home yesterday, so I called dial a song (it's free if you >call on your parent's line...) >I got a song that sounded like some take off of Ondine, because in the >backround they kept repeating "Don't make me kill you again". >I guess I have unusual luck with dial a song... >I will usually get through after about five tries. >It never works if I press "redial" though. Only when I dial the whole >number over again. i believe the song you heard was the original (i.e., it was made before "Ondine" (the version in Back To Skull). it's called, if i'm not mistaken, "Don't make me Kill You Again" paul *----------------------------------- Paul Leonard The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the University of Texas. (duh!) check out my home page! http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~pleonard ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 16:56:02 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: catalog >how do you ghet this catalog? i have never heard of it before From the TMBG FAQ: > Secondly, now it's free to join They Might Be Giants' Information Club. > To receive newsletters, tour dates and mail-order catalog, write: > > TMBG Information Club > PO Box 110535 > Williamsburgh Station > Brooklyn, NY 11211-0003 > U.S.A. > > or call 914-359-0867 Seeyas. *--------------------------------------------------------------------- jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org Visit the TMBG Interpretation Archive at http://www.tmbg.org/interp/ -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a17 C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K++ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:23:35 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: XTC tribute Dear All, Can anyone with the XTC tribute album tell me what else is on it, apart from Them? I'd have to buy an import of it for about 17 quid which is a mite expensive. So, is it any good apart from TMBG's song? Anyone famous on it. Please do tell. Cheers, Mark ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:24:27 -0800 (PST) From: Senator Phil Gramm Subject: Re: Parents. On Thu, 16 Nov 1995, Speaker for the Dead wrote: > I was just wondering the other day for no apparent reason at all (the > best kind of reason, BTW) if the Johns have current, living parents. I > don't think I've ever heard anything about Them that even mentioned their > parents. Of course we can assume that they had parents at least at one On the Live in NY CD, Flans apologizes to his mother publicly before he starts up "I Palindrome I" (Someday mother will die and I'll get the money...). I don't think he's quite sick enough to have done that if she was dead. Jason Weiner # "In other words, Dad, I'm suffering from Stanford University # ...from...ROCKINEUMONIA and the BOOGIE- discord@leland.stanford.edu # WOOGIE BLUES." - Binckely, Bloom County ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 18:49:31 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: XTC tribute > Can anyone with the XTC tribute album tell me what else is on it, >apart from Them? I'd have to buy an import of it for about 17 quid which >is a mite expensive. So, is it any good apart from TMBG's song? Anyone >famous on it. Please do tell. The album has... Freedy Johnston Earn Enough for Us Spacehog Senses Working Overtime Crash Test Dummies All You Pretty Girls The Verve Pipe Wake Up The Rembrandts Making Plans for Nigel Sarah McLachlan Dear God Ruben Blades The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul P. Hux Another Satellite They Might Be Giants 25 O'Clock Terry & the Lovemen The Good Things Joe Jackson Statue of Liberty I like most of it. The sounds *really* vary from track to track, more than I expected from even a various artists CD. I like the sounds of the CTD, Ruben Blades, TMBG, and Joe Jackson tracks the best. *--------------------------------------------------------------------- jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org Visit the TMBG Interpretation Archive at http://www.tmbg.org/interp/ -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a17 C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K++ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 15:35:44 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Let the thermolympics begin! >does anyone have any theories on what themostat (the song) is about. i've >come up with personal versions of what the 'real' message of most songs are >but this one i havn't really pinned anything down on. please respond so my >life can be complete. okay now...as usual, with all They MIght Be inats songs, (or most anyway)it means zip. zero. nuthin'. Very little. I think it's talking about *gasp* a thermostat! Maybe he lives in a crappy apartment building. ...alright having just listened to it in my SuperStereoSoundAroundArama Panasonic walkman, I can back myself up, it's talking about a thermostat, which might be playing silly buggers and flinging out random heats because it's broken. NAd noone answered my question which goes: >one) Who did the original of Istanbul? In the writers credits, the >acknowledgements for Istanbul belong to someone else, so it must be a >cover, so says I well that is it !!!!!! +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ "To Err Is Human, To forgive, Not Company Policy" Michael Carr Student at the University Of Otago,Dunedin, New Zealand where our Motto is: "Our Other Slogan Is Wittier" =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+= ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:18:23 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: Istanbul... I believe Istanbul is an old song (20yrs min) cause i saw this program on pbs at about 2am with this british accapella(sp?) quartet at this british award show (circa 1970) and this group was singing Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and i was laughing because it was one of those absurd things that i find hilarious. anyway i just got home from our school's production of "you can't take it with you" and i'm Stage crew director and let me say that nobody appreciates the people who design and build the set. i didn't do it for the recognition, but it would be nice to be appreciated. damn primadonnas! may the force be with you daniel (still needin my own account) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 21:09:08 -0600 From: red eyed troll Subject: Re: Let the thermolympics begin! thermostat huh? i'll tell you what it's about. it's about my car. earlier this year, the thermostat in my car stopped being reliable and had to be disconnected. along with the radiator. and the rest of the cooling system. the good part was that it gave me a cool artifact to make a necklace out of. its got my unreliable thermostat on it! paul, aka, "and I said yeah baby, Evil's ok in my book!," frank black, fruit bat, "jiffy boy is on, hurry up he needs a hammer,to knock his head around.," Jubal Hershaw, Mike Smith, Paul Swan, paul swan, paulswan, rabidchild.paulswan@mail.utexas.edu,"the artist formerly known as aswan@tenet.edu," you know, stuff, zen kitty, roots radicals, red eyed troll, james robert injustice, tmbg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu ------------------------------ From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: RE: Dial A Song Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 21:40:00 -0600 >a large portion of the money i get from work always seems to go to tmbg. > >call dial a song. it is good. > >paul I DID IT!!!!!!!!!! I just called Dial-A-Song!!!!!!!!!!! That was so AWESOME!!!!!!! I heard a song I haven't heard before and it was cool! I liked it. I'm so excited! I think I might EXPLODE!!!!! *kablooie* Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 22:26:19 Central Time From: Jared McIntyre Subject: RE: Good Times >A few months ago, word-processor viruses started spreading. They work >by using the autoloading macro features of the word process to do >dastardly deeds. Thus, simply by loading a Word document (for >example) you can zap your hard drive. Of course, if you just get the >text of the document, and not the document itself, you're still safe >(but you lose the font/formatting info). As far as I know, this is true. It's been known for some time that this type of bug is possible, but not until recently has one evisted. MS Word is the only program that I know of that has one in circulation. It ios also important to knote that these viruses are supposed to be able to cross platforms, thne only thing you have to have is MS Word (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't work on all versions) This virus, by the way, is not the affore mentioned "Good Times" virus, that in fact, does not evist (at least it didn't a year ago.) I hope someone proves me entirely wrong, this is just the info that has been presented to me. ееееееее(Schwartz)ееееееееееееjkm@cs.siu.eduееееееееееееееееееееееееееееееееееее from: The Far Side -"Well, Roger's hoping for a male and I'd like a female...But we'll both be content if it just has six eyes and eight legs." -"Lupslipaphobia: the fear of being pursued by timberwolves around a kitchen table while wearing socks on a newly waxed floor." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Nov 95 00:19 EST From: "Diamond Jim (President of Planet Booty)" Subject: catalog how can i, a mere mortal, get my hands on this catalog of the gods? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 22:29:31 +0200 From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Subject: XTC... Ben or Been asked about XTC's Testimonial dinner: >On TMBG's rendition of "25 O'Clock," there is a backwards-sounding message >just after a lot of musical calamity in the middle of the song. [I hope >this makes the FAQ. :) ] Can anyone decipher it? Does anyone have the >capability of reversing the song? I just did, using SoundEffects, on my Power Mac!!! and it is really reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally reallyreally really hard to decipher, because of the high beeping sound, the waaah waaah sound, and the fact that they have varied pitches. This is the best I can pick up, and I'm only sure about the first three clips of sound, (and Lost count) but they are all in chunks of a few words... Music I like Like Music I Like Into the first Lost count we are important to the interger Are important this makes no sense to me, but it is the best I can decipher, and my ears started hurting... can any one interpret or correct these seemingly random clips of sound? also, John Chaffer listed the songs on the album, and posted a revue, >I like most of it. The sounds *really* vary from track to track, more than >I expected from even a various artists CD. I like the sounds of the CTD, >Ruben Blades, TMBG, and Joe Jackson tracks the best. I must say, that other than these, I loved SpaceHog's Senses working overtime(one of my fav. xtc songs anyway) and have since bought their album Residential alien, which is harder than most of my music, but i like it, and can't get it out of my CD player. -Rabid Child * * * * * * * * * * _Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com_ No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: XTC tribute Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 00:49:30 -0500 (EST) > > > Can anyone with the XTC tribute album tell me what else is on it, > >apart from Them? I'd have to buy an import of it for about 17 quid which > >is a mite expensive. So, is it any good apart from TMBG's song? Anyone > >famous on it. Please do tell. > > The album has... > > Freedy Johnston Earn Enough for Us > Spacehog Senses Working Overtime > Crash Test Dummies All You Pretty Girls > The Verve Pipe Wake Up > The Rembrandts Making Plans for Nigel > Sarah McLachlan Dear God > Ruben Blades The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul > P. Hux Another Satellite > They Might Be Giants 25 O'Clock > Terry & the Lovemen The Good Things > Joe Jackson Statue of Liberty > > > I like most of it. The sounds *really* vary from track to track, more than > I expected from even a various artists CD. I like the sounds of the CTD, > Ruben Blades, TMBG, and Joe Jackson tracks the best. Who else thinks Sarah McGlocklan really *massacred* Dear God? I'm hating it more and more everytime I hear it, actually I can't even listen to it anymore, it doesn't do any justice to the original 8-( --Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: mjames@sloth.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Subject: A Testicular Dinner, aka Oral XTC (fwd) Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 00:53:59 -0500 (EST) > Also, the following song on the album, by a group called "Terry and the > Lovemen": Is that *not* Andy Partridge singing lead vocals? Isn't "Terry > and the Lovemen" actually XTC, or at least Andy P.? Indeed you are correct sir, Terry and the Lovemen are XTC. Sorta like when they were the Dukes of Stratosphere for their 1985(6?) album. Kinda strange to see a tribute album to XTC with themselves on it, at least they disguised themselves ;) --Matt -- *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu, elrond@charm.net Loyola College "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box--U.S. synthpop claim to fame Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-68 *****************************