Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-71 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 71 Monday, 20 November 1995 Today's Topics: Dial-A-Song Pere Ubu Announcing - the Informal Survey results... Oregon The Brave Re: Dial-A-Song TMBDating German Obsessed TMBG Fans Re: space ghost (cartoon Planet) Re: alt.binaries.tmbg ? its a thought the istanbul issue Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 16:40:58 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Dial-A-Song Dear All, Just had a look at the interpretations archive and saw listed 'The Power of Dial-A-Song'. Is this just a list of songs featured on Dial-A-Song? Is it possible to get hold of them somehow? Ta, Mark P.S. I went out and bought Testimonial Dinner. I'm quite glad I did, it's pretty smart. 25 O'Clock's not as good as SenSurround, though ;) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 15:12:09 -0500 (EST) From: Speaker for the Dead Subject: Pere Ubu Recently, the band Pere Ubu came up on this list. I was in a music shop the other day because they were having a sale, but they had no tmbg. They did have Pere Ubu's Ray Gun Suitcase album. Does anyone else have this? What do you think of it? Anyway, I was just listening to SenSurround and one line caught me by surprise as being quite clever that I had never noticed before, I don't even know if John and John meant it this way. The line is: "If mom had known she was expecting, she might have gone to see jaws." The clever bit is this: To expect something you usually have to know about it. John and John use a term that doesn't quite mean what it should litterally and use it in a place where a paradox is formed because of it. I love it!! -Nathan *------------------------------------------------------------------------ "I thought you must be dead," Arthur said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided that I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. I kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic." Arthur cleared his throat, and then did it again. "Where," he said, "did you...?" "Find a gin and tonic?" said Ford brightly. "I found a small lake that thought it was a gin and tonic, and jumped in and out of that. At least, I think it thought it was a gin and tonic. "I may," he added with a grin that would have sent sane men scampering into trees, "have been imagining it." -Douglas Adams: Life, the Universe, and Everything ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 20:15:00 GMT From: joekeith@dircon.co.uk (Joe Keith) Subject: Announcing - the Informal Survey results... Yes folks, The time has come to fill your mailboxes with the news that last month's Informal Survey responses have now been collated and put into a form that even the best of statiticians (say that with a mouth full of peanut butter ;)) couldn't possibly hope to understand :) So where are they? Right - grab a Web browser and point it at: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/tmbg/survey.html and there you will find them. I have tried to make the pages as simple as possible so that as many browers can cope with them. If you have any trouble viewing the pages, haven't got a web client, can't access the web, or can't really be bothered to go there, but still want a look at the results, mail me, and I will mail you a text version of the results. Thanks to those who responded. Joe -- * JoeKeith@dircon.co.uk ************************************************** * "this record is for the freaks and the fuck ups. the lonely and awkward. * the last ones picked. never picked. the hopeless romantic dreamers. we * wouldn't fit in the box made for us. so much the better cuz it is a * coffin. don't be bullied. don't give up. stay free." -- Wynona Riders ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:15:21 +1300 (NZDT) From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Oregon The Brave I only just got here, so this is one digest behind, but I have to add to the Oregon debate.... I have met about five different people from all parts of Oregon, and I think all of them are cool, a couple are kinda weird but you get that, and if that's the case, they can't be doing that much wrong. Mike ...erm...yeah so I am 15000 miles away from oregon....so what? Happy thanksgiving? +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ "To Err Is Human, To forgive, Not Company Policy" Michael Carr Student at the University Of Otago,Dunedin, New Zealand Where Our Motto Is: "Join The latin retro hippy-punk neo classical existential reawakening revival!!" =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+= ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 18:38:04 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Dial-A-Song > Just had a look at the interpretations archive and saw listed >'The Power of Dial-A-Song'. Is this just a list of songs featured on >Dial-A-Song? Is it possible to get hold of them somehow? No, this is a 100 minute tape that a couple of list denizens compiled about a year and a half ago. It was distributed to people via an elaborate tape tree. You might be able to get a copy from someone who has one. Which brings me to my next point. I do have a copy of the Power of DAS, but it is utterly unlistenable, as the tape was (*sob*) EATEN by my tape recorder. So, when compiling the Power of DAS section of the TMBGIA, I have had to leave the "Sung By" sections mostly blank, because I can't listen to the tape. So any help with the lyrics or singers would be appreciated. Also, any kind souls who would be willing to make copies of the DAS tape might wish to post this offer to the list. This conversation might spark new interest in the tape. *--------------------------------------------------------------------- jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org Visit the TMBG Interpretation Archive at http://www.tmbg.org/interp/ -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a17 C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K++ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: "Frankenberry" Organization: John Brown University Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 20:36:44 GMT-5 Subject: TMBDating > This is a story that eventually lends itself to TMBG. I swear. Uh oh, looks like we got a live one here... > There's this girl at my school who I've been obsessed with for > the past four years. She is indifferent toward me,.... (Time Passes) > ...because I usually think of "Sleeping in the > Flowers" when I see her. > Anyway, that's my tale. the end. > > lebo Lebo... you really need help. Listen, I know this person who'll give you the best in dating tips, story-telling, and how to get your hair cut like Jonothan Chaffer's. Just e-mail him at rlg@metronet.com and the results will surprise every John, John, and Harry. with my left hand in my pocket, Frank ___________________________________________________________________ | "It's like he's | "The truth is... YOU'RE the weak, and I | | making a phone call | am the tyranny of evil men. But I'm | | from hell, but the | tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to | | catch is that he's | be the shepherd." | | starting to LIKE |-------------------------------------------- | it there!" | "Taste is the enemy of art." | *------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 18:51:32 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: German Obsessed TMBG Fans 1) On the FTP site there is a german translation of Particle Man. 2) Aimee recently put "die pfliegerin" in her FROM: field. 3) I have seen threads about other German Translations of THEY songs. 4) I have a reason to be blue that deals w/ German money.... BlueDawg...just putting stuff togther --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "The most interesting thing about King Charles I was that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, and only 4'8" tall at the end of it"--Monty Python --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 21:35:38 +0200 From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Subject: Re: space ghost (cartoon Planet) Heya, I'm good, How is you's? I was on a speech meet this weekend, and we stayed at a hotel that had cable, and I saw an episode of this show, Cartoon Planet, with a bit called George and Junior, obviously by the same guys who do ren and stimpy, and It was Hilarious...any way, I'm sure none of you care, but I thouhgt I 'd throw in my $.02...and I love the credit music, I just wish that they'd do Them Justice by not playing it on top of some pudgy guy in a suit dressed up to look like Space ghost, he looks like a demeaning moron... >anyway the >point of this is that has anybodythat has seen this noticed that they >played End of the Tour at the end of the show and have a little caption >that says "They might Be Giants makes beautiful music" Was this just for >one show? Well it was neat at anyrate. thanks. TTFN >may the force be with you >paul (iamafish) It's done always, and it is hip, and it's been discussed here...I'm glad I finally got to see it, can't wait for next weekend, to see if I can catch it again... * * * * * * * * * * _Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com_ No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (joseph drago) Subject: Re: alt.binaries.tmbg ? its a thought Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 22:03:02 -0800 (PST) > > I got an idea...ALT.BINARIES.TMBG. People could post images and > >songs etc... I wrote that ... ^ | > Yes..yes...Let's do it!!! There are folks who only have ascii connections to > the net. they can't get pics and stuff from the ftp site easily. Let's do it. > > BlueCanine > > Are there any other comments? I am probably going to propose it then... (JD) ------------------------------ From: Barteaux@aol.com Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 01:11:20 -0500 Subject: the istanbul issue i have the 1930's version of istanbul. it's very big bandish, a lot slower and has fewer lines. my friend found and gave it to me because i always face They on him. i'll ask for the exact date and artist (his dad owns the album) bart 'lab animal' black ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-71 *****************************