Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-72 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 72 Tuesday, 21 November 1995 Today's Topics: MIDI Files Oregon Power of DAS tape Re: MIDI Files RE: Dial A Song Re: MIDI Files istanbul the whole backwards thing. Please do not ignore Re: MIDI Files Re: German Obsessed TMBG Fans cartoon express on USA Re: cartoon express on USA Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Funkmaster KG" Organization: Villanova University Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 11:35:29 EST Subject: MIDI Files I am looking for TMBG MIDI files. I have surfed the net, but come up empty handed. Does anyone know where I could get some, or could E- Mail them to me, it would be gratly appreciated... -Kevin- E-Mail : Kgalla01@student.vill.edu Phone : (610) 581-5235 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 11:21:33 -0800 (PST) From: Trompe Le Monde Subject: Oregon In response to something from awhile ago... | From: "Jacob T. Eidsmoe" --- | They probably have had bad experiences here...(in Oregon, that | is)...at their Concert here this summer, John L was really getting | upset about the crowd surfers...one ended up almost hit him, I | believe.. Well, that was long after the song was penned... I have noticed that They _rarely_ schedule shows here, which sucks because I missed the two times that They've been here recently. | Also, when REM was here, Stipes was brutally mean towards | Oregonians...said lots of mean, generalizing statements... Not really. He kept complaining "don't be easy!" to the crowd that was clearly obnoxious- screaming for no reason while he was trying to talk. His only Oregon-directed comment came at one point when he started laughing and said: "C'mon, this is Portland, Oregon- you're supposed to be kinda cynical or something." I thought it was perfect. Kerry +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + // kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / murmur@teleport.com / kbiggs@efn.org // + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 11:33:37 -0800 (PST) From: Trompe Le Monde Subject: Power of DAS tape I have said tape, although I have to warn people... it sounds like what you might hear on a telephone while listening through a funnel of some sort. But that's pretty normal, considering that they had to tape the DAS songs off of phones, as you know. Anyway, I am heading home for Thanksgiving break, but when I return (Sunday night) I should have the copy of the tape if anyone is brave and wants one. I'm interested in just about anything TMBG to trade, so feel free and email me (or wait until Sunday and email me) if you're interested. Kerry +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + // kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / murmur@teleport.com / kbiggs@efn.org // + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 13:22:21 -0600 From: the king of ellipses Subject: Re: MIDI Files as it turns out, i spent about 2 hours last night looking through search results for They Might Be Giants on different web searching things, and i found a tmbg midi archive. it only has three files, but it's better than nothing... the web site is: http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914/tmbgmidi.html paul, aka, "and I said yeah baby, Evil's ok in my book!," frank black, fruit bat, "jiffy boy is on, hurry up he needs a hammer,to knock his head around.," Jubal Hershaw, Mike Smith, Paul Swan, paul swan, paulswan, rabidchild.paulswan@mail.utexas.edu,"the artist formerly known as aswan@tenet.edu," you know, stuff, zen kitty, roots radicals, red eyed troll, james robert injustice, tmbg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu, the king of ellipses ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:34:36 -0700 From: John Alan Sams-Jr (Johnnie Cochran) Subject: RE: Dial A Song >a large portion of the money i get from work always seems to go to tmbg. > >call dial a song. it is good. > >paul I DID IT!!!!!!!!!! I just called Dial-A-Song!!!!!!!!!!! That was so AWESOME!!!!!!! I heard a song I haven't heard before and it was cool! I liked it. I'm so excited! I think I might EXPLODE!!!!! *kablooie* Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:35:01 -0700 From: John Alan Sams-Jr (Johnnie Cochran) Subject: Re: MIDI Files as it turns out, i spent about 2 hours last night looking through search results for They Might Be Giants on different web searching things, and i found a tmbg midi archive. it only has three files, but it's better than nothing... the web site is: http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914/tmbgmidi.html paul, aka, "and I said yeah baby, Evil's ok in my book!," frank black, fruit bat, "jiffy boy is on, hurry up he needs a hammer,to knock his head around.," Jubal Hershaw, Mike Smith, Paul Swan, paul swan, paulswan, rabidchild.paulswan@mail.utexas.edu,"the artist formerly known as aswan@tenet.edu," you know, stuff, zen kitty, roots radicals, red eyed troll, james robert injustice, tmbg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu, the king of ellipses ------------------------------ From: AARON STEVEN Organization: Sir Sandford Fleming College Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:44:35 -0500 (EST) Subject: istanbul i have a friend who was brought up in europe his mother use to sing istanbul as a nursury ryeme to make him fall asleep and that was over 20 years ago i thought that was really cool lost in the great white north..... aaron steven (surf cop) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:08:23 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: the whole backwards thing. i just remembered this from a while ago. on MISC T. right before "i'll sink manhattan" there is this backwards voice. about 2 years ago a friend of mine ran it through his computer and it turned out the message was something like "Hello, all the guys down here from NYPD would like to thank you for doing such a great job" or something like that (it's probably a lot different except it was 2 years ago and i forget) and that quote also relates to "and this good luck charm, hanging off of my arm, was left here by the police."(birds fly) eh? eh? see my point. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 14:26:23 -0800 (PST) From: Senator Phil Gramm Subject: Please do not ignore I know that this has nothing really to do with TMBG, but I got it and immediately knew that I had to get it to as many people as possible, and this is the best way. I'm sorry it's so enormous, but please read all the way to the bottom as soon as you get a chance. I know that you're all caring people, and will relate. Subject: READ! Insanities of the world-not your average fwd (fwd) I apologize for filling your mailboxes and to those of you who have seen this but I believe this needs to be read. It is a frank account of one of the symptoms of this worlds problems. It may not be classic literature but it is important that we remember the injustices and insanities in our lives. Take a moment to consider how many other insanities we let pass by without a horrible single event that the media can cover. Ponder carefully and feel deeply for if you don't the insanities of the world will conitinue. Bryn "To dream the impossible dream, to right the unrightable wrong, to fight the unbeatable foe, to write when your arms are to weary" Don Quixote, Man of La Mancha "Never stop fighting. Never." --Bryn Forbes, Stanford Student (Of course I don't mean violence) This text has already been forwarded around the world, as you may note from the number of times "Forwarded message" appears. Don't discount it as a chain letter or just skip through the forwards to the finnal body, either way you will end up missing a lot. This letter was written the night of Rabin's assasination. (John) Of all the forwarded messages I have received so far, I found this one exceptionally intriguing. It isn't everyday you receive a mail such as this one, so I thought I should share it with you all. The message is simple, but I believe it is worthy of your attention. Love always, Leina Just a little something that someone sent to me. It's not the usual forwarded stuff. Read through all the little messages from others before the actual message. It really makes you think about the insanities of our world today. And I wonder, will anybody ever be able to fix the moral wrongs and ignorances of the world? Angie ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ Just a little history lesson. Thought you might like to know. There are some great quotes in all of the fowarding stuff. Don't breeze by them. Kim I don't know who has already recieved this but you should really read it and take a moment to reflect on this crazy world. --------------------- "The time is gone the song is over, thought I'd something more to say." Pink Floyd all I have to say is God bless all moderates, all people who value human life enough that death is never revenge, all people who are the middle men, the moderators. They actually accomplish what extremists can only fight against. ------- Forwarded Message mom and ellen and everyone, i really thought that this was worth reading, it made me cry. love you all. el, please forward it to the whole list. love, jess. I know that this message is long, and I apologize. I normally delete the headers, but some of them say some interesting things, that go well with the original message. This _is_ worth reading. Just so you know, it deals with the recent assassination of Itzhak Rabin, and originated in Israel on the very night of the assassination. A stunning event for the world that hopefully will not reverse the great strides toward peace that have been taken in recent months. Shalom, Lee I know this is to alot of you but the message is well worth the time it takes to skip over the addresses. This isn't the normal funny or stupid things we send to each other. Please read it. Love, Helen There's not much I can say about this. It's so much more real than many other "world tragedies" to me. Prime Minister Rabin has been in our news so much lately, and he was going to be up here next week. It's just so real. ----Stephen read this well, my friends. love, kevin. (*deeply touched*) Normally, I'll delete the beginning part (all the extraneous text before these forwards... or, at least i try to anyway). But, I thought you might want to read what people had to say as well as the original message. So I just deleted all the addresses that this was sent to. If you've already gotten it then I apologize. It's not the usual jokes and syrupy sweet messages we normally forward to each other. love, vanessa Dear One of Over A Hundred People, This is a forwarded copy of an email I received from a friend of mine at Carnegie Mellon University, who received it somehow, through some chain of people, from Israel. I have forwarded it to every single email address I have, and some more that I don't have, impossible as it seems. I've forwarded it to you because I think that this is an extraordinarily interesting bit of history, a record of an event which may very well someday be looked back upon as being among the most important in the shaping of the modern Middle East. I find it rather amazing that such things as this are possible, i.e. this kind of transfer of information literally around the world. Among you who are reading this are about 60 people in Portland, 30 people in Texas, and people all over the U.S., Canada, Ireland, and Germany - just to give you an idea of the truly international capabilities of email. Well, you might forward this message on to others who you think will appreciate it. It is good literature and good history. I certainly enjoyed it. Easily Amused, Ryan Miller rmiller@reed.edu (503)788-6931 Sometimes we have to pull ourselves out of our little microcosmic worlds and take notice of the pain and terror which ensues outside of our havens of brick and ivy. As my friend who forwarded this to me said, this is not the humorous banter which we usually forward...this is serious...it deserves both our attention and our reverence. I share it with you and hope that you will share it with others... Lauren ^^^^^yeah folks, she's got a point. i believe this to be an impotant piece of writing... pass it on. read this carefully -- it really touched me. pass it on. -- ashley *-------------------------------------------------------------- ************************************************************** *-------------------------------------------------------------- ************************************************************** -------------Forwarded Mail Begins Here----------------------- This letter has nothing to do with magic or elves. It is only a story I want to tell to all of you brothers and sisters of my soul. A story of great grief I have to share, and I invite you to be the ones who share it with me. To makes things clear, I first want to say that the "il" in my address stands for Israel. And just to be sure you know (though I know it was broadcasted all over the world earlier this evening), our prime minister, Rabin, was murdered this evening by a right-winged extremist after speaking in a huge demonstration in support of the peace process. I want to tell this story. In the afternoon we went to the demonstration. It was a happy event - not against anything, not to protest or fight, but to show support in our government for it's efforts in building a new era of peace in this wars-torn land. I don't know how many of you have ever been in such an event - the sense of power is awesome. And it was huge. I estimate there were about 150- 200 thousand people there. We were filled with a wonderful feeling of joy, of hope, seeing so many around us, great music, balloons, dancing, meeting friends. A festival. And when the prime minister entered the stage, he was greeted by a thunder off clapping hands. Not only because it was such a joyous event, but also to show this man, a man that was cursed and spit upon and called "traitor" by his adversaries time and again during the last few months, a man that is blamed by them for every terrorist attack (because he dares negotiate with the enemy), to show him people do believe in him and admire what he does. I went home after he spoke, trying to avoid traffic, thinking the action was nearly over. Little did I know. About an hour after I got home, we heard the news - Rabin was shot. The first thing that rushed through my mind (after "shit!"), was "Kennedy". I am sorry to borrow on your myth, Americans, but this is all I could think of. And then, "oh gods, please let it end differently". But it didn't. I decided to send a letter to the Elven Nation, asking you to use any healing powers you might have to help him, but it was too late. He died on the operations table and hour later. After a few phone calls, we went back to the same square where the demonstration was held. People started to gather - not as many as before, but they kept coming. Wearing black, bearing candles and torches, engulfed in smoke. And we just sat there, watching the white candles dripping tears, the red torches dripping blood. Crying, hugging, singing softly (you wouldn't believe how many songs of war and peace we have), shocked to our bones. It was warm at the demonstration, but at two in the morning, it was getting so cold. Every death is a tragedy. And Rabin was not an easy man. A hard man, and a solider to the bone, which made him unpopular amongst both sides, pro and con of the peace process. He was called "traitor" by both sides (which only proves how well-fit he was for the job). But he lead this peace process stubbornly, with full fait at heart. Being a soldier, he was hated by many of the Arabs, but he also knew how much we need peace. He has brought us to a point some of us see as a miracle in being (my father, who fought in many wars with our neighbors, is going as a tourist to Jordan. You have no idea how deeply he is moved by that). And for that I loved and admired him, even though I didn't like many of the things he did in his life. The peace process will go on. It can not be stopped, not by one murder. But this act will definitely intensify the atmosphere of hatred that divides my country. It is an act of violence that will lead to others. It scares the hell out of me. This is all. Tomorrow will probably be a day of national mourning. Now all I have to do is takes a shower (after sitting in the middle of all that smoke) and go to bed. But I keep seeing one picture. In the middle of the square, someone used soul-candles (candles put on graves, usually) to form one huge word. "Why?". Yael **************************************************************************** "And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." --Kahlil Gibran **************************************************************************** --- Kristin A Etbauer harolda@iastate.edu You will learn Truth is given by God To us all in our time In our turn -Les Miserables *----------------------------------------------------- "and quoth the Raven, "Nevermore." -Edgar Allen Poe ------------------------------ From: jeffk914@groucho.roc.servtech.com (Jeff Kyle) Subject: Re: MIDI Files Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 23:07:15 GMT On Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:35:01 -0700, you wrote: >as it turns out, i spent about 2 hours last night looking through search >results for They Might Be Giants on different web searching things, and i >found a tmbg midi archive. it only has three files, but it's better than >nothing... > > >the web site is: > >http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914/tmbgmidi.html Hey, that's my page! :) Glad you found it, I just put it in Lycos a couple days ago, even though it's been up (and occasionally advertised) for a while now. I hope to completely redo my Web area soon, so it might look mildly different, but the MIDIs stay. As for only three, that's because that's all I've ever found - to the best of my knowledge, that's all there are. (Though I have heard rumors of a Fingertips MIDI.) If I find any more, they'll go up on the archive ASAP. For those without Web access, I'll mention that they're also available via FTP at: ftp.servtech.com/pub/users/jeffk914/midi Enjoy! | Jeff Kyle jeffk914@groucho.roc.servtech.com | | Rochester, NY "Katarina" '75 Porsche 914 | | http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914 | | Car pictures, TMBG MIDI archive, and more! | | "If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color." | ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 18:27:53 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: German Obsessed TMBG Fans >1) On the FTP site there is a german translation of Particle Man. >2) Aimee recently put "die pfliegerin" in her FROM: field. >3) I have seen threads about other German Translations of THEY songs. >4) I have a reason to be blue that deals w/ German money.... 5) They sang "O Tannenbaum" in the original German. 6) On Dr. Spock, They introduced Birdhouse as "Vogelhaus in deiner Seele." 7) They can play polkas. Hmm... *--------------------------------------------------------------------- jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org Visit the TMBG Interpretation Archive at http://www.tmbg.org/interp/ -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a17 C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K++ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 19:12:51 -0500 (EST) From: horowitz@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU Subject: cartoon express on USA Hey- My friend said they saw TMBG credited as doing the music for Cartoon Express on Sat mornings on USA. Anyone know anything about this? -Andy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 22:55:33 -0500 (EST) From: The Sage One Subject: Re: cartoon express on USA On Mon, 20 Nov 1995 horowitz@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU wrote: > Hey- > > My friend said they saw TMBG credited as doing the music for > Cartoon Express on Sat mornings on USA. Anyone know anything about this? > -Andy > > I don't know about USA Cartoon express, but they do use an instramental version of "Everyone knows my plan" as the opening of Cartoon Planet. Which is the space ghost show on Cartoon Network. They have this kid in a space ghost costume dancing to TMBG!!! Cool!! ______________________________________________________________________________ "That summer fields grew high. We had wildflower fever. We had to lay down wehrew they grew. How I've learned to hide, how I've locked inside, you'd be surprized if shown. But you'll never, never know." -N. Merchant ~Stick~ *Chris MacLeod* "The Sage One" ______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-72 *****************************