Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-73 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 73 Wednesday, 22 November 1995 Today's Topics: Power Of Dial-A-Song Vinyl I Just Got Pere Ubu...Chain Letteres...etc... Ben's Dial-A-Song to Have Original Version! TMBG New Year's Shows Re: Oregon Re: German Obsessed TMBG Fans Unofficial Web Site Re: German Obsessed TMBG Fans TMBG MIDI archive adds Fingertips! Re: TMBDating Re: TMBDating Re: Unofficial Web Site Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:44:33 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Power Of Dial-A-Song Dear All, So, has anyone got that 'Power of Dial-A-Song' tape that they can copy for me? Preferably in the UK for obvious reasons... Mail me if possible. Thanks, Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:09:55 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Vinyl I Just Got Ben or Been quite here, almost ready to leave college for home to see my doggies!!!! Anyway, Yesterday I went to Sour Records upon taking the advise of the only Otterbein College student who has lived where I live in Niskayuna, New York, to look and see a TMBG record there from the Bar/None days. Lo and behold, I found the 12"! It was "They'll Need a Crane." I got it for six bucks in its original shrinkwrap, with the note on the package that it was "way outta print." I feel special. On it, there are (at least) four songs: "They'll Need a Crane," "I'll Sink Manhattan," "Nightgown of the Sullen Moon," and and and "It's Not My Birthday." But I've already those songs. I got it because: 1. It's vinyl TMBG. 2. It's rare TMBG. 3. It has a neato photo of John and John on the back. Flansy is not sitting at a chair watching TV; he is sitting at a TV and watching a chair. Linnbo is doing something similar: He's at a stove with an egg in hand, but he's turned away from the pan, as if he's going to break the egg and its guts will fall to the floor. Also, in the picture, one can see a snippet of the front to the _Lincoln_ podium, tucked in a corner in the apartment where this picture was taken. I wish I could scan the picture for all to see. And on a table in the living room of the apartment, there appear to be beer cans, the label to me is indistinguishable. *** Well, love for now. Love to share the news! Maybe the Nyquil Drunk Guy stopped by their apartment! Adieu probably until January! Ben or Been (send me Christmas presents) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:48:52 -0500 From: ae333@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Robin L. Connell) Subject: Pere Ubu...Chain Letteres...etc... Hello, See, just like I said...I typed that post and then ended up with various chain letters...Anyhow someone posted asking abpout the new Pere Ubu album, I'm in the midst of reviewing it for my station, the song I heard off it so far are good..but I didn't get to reviewing it all thanks to the fact that it was 1:30am, and I had just finished reviewing 7 other albums...I also had a headache.... I got to review the september edition of the Hello cd of the month...Philco Bendyx...very good high energy music...except for "The secret days" which is slower....And uncomfortable girlfriend has a swear, so we can't play it over the air...damn! I feel the sudden need to mention atleast something directly related to TMBG, so here goes....My favorite John is Flansburgh...I really don't know why, he just strikes me as a happy go lucky kinda guy....Flansburgh also reminds me of my freind Rob...or should it be the other way around? Flansburgh just strikes me as the kinda guy who would just like to pal around....Am I wrong? I need to go...And on next weeks installment of "Robin babbles about TMBG" I'll tell you the fabolous story of how I once ended up in a car with John & John look alikes....it's facinating! "Waffle." -John Lydon -- --Robin Connell...College Radio Dj Supreme.....WBNY 91.3fm.....-- ---------------"Buffalo's Original Alternative."----------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:00:58 -0500 (EST) From: Benjamin Hauck Subject: Ben's Dial-A-Song to Have Original Version! Yes, this is Ben or Been advertising ONCE AGAIN Ben's Dial-A-Song Where the tunes are for loons And I hope you'll call soon! Featured song now: "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" by Tiny Tim Dial-A-Song will be shut down (I'm almost cetain) Wednesday afternoon c.1:30pm until c.11:00am, January 1, 1996. When I turn it back on, I will try to have for all you TMBG fans the original version of "Why Does the Sun Shine?" as it appears on the _Space Songs_ album!!!!!!!! I may have to *slightly* alter the song so my answering machine doesn't stop it because of too much silence. That would only involve my adding a sound here or there. But, it's a treat for all of you TMBG fans, mis amores. The number is (write it down): (614) 823 2583 I may not publicly advertise this again. Please call at only decent hours. And leave me a message to tell me what you think! Anne's done it, so should you! They Might Be Grateful, Ben or Been ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 10:56:37 -0800 From: obo@hopf.dnai.com (Bo Orloff) Subject: TMBG New Year's Shows Organization: Mr. Z's House of Discount Wub-Fur 'n' Stuff (A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg) They Might Be Giants Tour Dates as of 11/20/95 Dec 30 Philadelphia, PA The Trocadero Dec 31 New York, NY Tramp's That's all for now- Stay Tuned... Both shows also feature Frank Black (who will be performing with a full band). Sorry, I don't have any info on when tix go on sale, prices or showtimes- call the venues for these details. As always, an updated list of TMBG tour dates can also be found on the semi-official (yes, our status has been upgraded) World Wide Web site: http://www.dnai.com/~obo/tmbg -- Bo Orloff The Avant Garage is Online! Check out Ubu Web at: ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 11:56:40 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: Re: Oregon At 11:21 AM 11/20/95 -0800, you wrote: >In response to something from awhile ago... > >| From: "Jacob T. Eidsmoe" >--- >| They probably have had bad experiences here...(in Oregon, that >| is)...at their Concert here this summer, John L was really getting >| upset about the crowd surfers...one ended up almost hit him, I >| believe.. > >Well, that was long after the song was penned... I have noticed that They >_rarely_ schedule shows here, which sucks because I missed the two times >that They've been here recently. > >| Also, when REM was here, Stipes was brutally mean towards >| Oregonians...said lots of mean, generalizing statements... > >Not really. He kept complaining "don't be easy!" to the crowd that was >clearly obnoxious- screaming for no reason while he was trying to talk. >His only Oregon-directed comment came at one point when he started >laughing and said: "C'mon, this is Portland, Oregon- you're supposed to >be kinda cynical or something." I thought it was perfect. > >Kerry Of course, you could always remember Oregon's favorite son, Senator Robert Packwood.......another reason not to like Oregon. --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "The most interesting thing about King Charles I was that he was 5'6" tall at the start of his reign, and only 4'8" tall at the end of it"--Monty Python --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 15:52:50 -0500 (EST) From: fkoiner1@ic3.ithaca.edu Subject: Re: German Obsessed TMBG Fans Ihr seid alle total bescheuert, wisst Ihr das? Alle wissen, dass, ich habe vergessen, was ich sagen wollte... Naja, wenn man mehr von der Ente lernen will, soll man mir etwas schicken, ich bin doch eine Paebstin (ein witziges Wort, nicht wahr?) Lrk44751@marauder.millersv.edu Soll der Kraft und TMBG mit Euch sein! Entschuldigung, meine Schwester ist ungehobelt. Ach, aber ich leibe sie. Ja, ich bin auch eine Deutsch Schwaermerin. und was noch? Liebe Leute, die Ente wir euch retten! Nur sie hat die Macht, eure arme Seelen zu. dieses System ist total langsam heute. Ich habe gemeint, nur die Ente kann eure arme Seelen aufklaeren! Ihr sollt euch mit dem Lernen der Ente beschaeftigen. Tschuess! oops, she interrupted again--well, i'll leave it at that--any of you german freaks feel free to mail us... FLK ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 18:45:30 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Unofficial Web Site I've been working on sprucing up the unofficial TMBG web site (http://www.tmbg.org/) and I'd like to make sure it works on different kinds of web browsers. I'd appreciate it if I could get some feedback from some people about how it looks under various versions of Lynx, Netscape, Mosaic, etc. Thanks! --Jon *--------------------------------------------------------------------- | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | *--------------------------------------------------------------------- | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | *--------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 19:01:20 -0500 (EST) From: Wakko Subject: Re: German Obsessed TMBG Fans Uh, about that all-German mailer - can you send out a translation for all those of us who didn't understand a word of it? It would be much appreciated. :) - 'Nette <^>--------------------------------<^^>---------------------------------<^> ||| Jeanette C. Frost || "I'm your only friend, ||| ||| Trenton State College || I'm not your only friend, ||| ||| FROST@TRENTON.EDU || But I'm a little glowing friend||| |||---------------------------------|| But really I'm not actually ||| ||| C'mon, get happy!!!!!!!!!!!! || your friend, ||| ||| -Partrige Family Theme || But I am! -TMBG, "Birdhouse ||| ||| || "In Your Soul" ||| <_>--------------------------------<__>---------------------------------<_> ------------------------------ From: jeffk914@groucho.roc.servtech.com (Jeff Kyle) Subject: TMBG MIDI archive adds Fingertips! Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 00:23:13 GMT Thanks to Moogleboy@aol.com, I now have the Fingertips MIDI in my possession, and it's available for download from the TMBG MIDI archive, as discussed in the past couple days. In case, horror of horrors, you've lost the address, to FTP, it's: ftp.servtech.com/pub/users/jeffk914/midi And from the Web, it's: http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914/tmbgmidi.html The file is, as of right not, NOT available via the Web site! I need to add a link to it in the HTML code, which I'll attempt to do ASAP... But for right now, it IS available via FTP. The quality is pretty good, enjoy! | Jeff Kyle jeffk914@groucho.roc.servtech.com | | Rochester, NY "Katarina" '75 Porsche 914 | | http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914 | | Car pictures, TMBG MIDI archive, and more! | | "If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color." | ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 18:41:15 -0600 (CST) From: Ray Grabeel Subject: Re: TMBDating On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, Frankenberry wrote: > > ...because I usually think of "Sleeping in the > > Flowers" when I see her. > > Anyway, that's my tale. the end. > > > > lebo > > Lebo... you really need help. Listen, I know this person who'll > give you the best in dating tips, story-telling, and how to get your > hair cut like Jonothan Chaffer's. Just e-mail him at rlg@metronet.com > and the results will surprise every John, John, and Harry. Stephen, you shmuck!! I *told* you I wanted to keep this address a secret! And here you go, posting it to a mailing list of who knows how many people. Don't do that again. I use that other address to post for a reason, you know. *This* address is supposed to be *confidential*, so don't go posting it again! Thank you. And sorry to get angry, but you know how important this is. Ray ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 20:08:53 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBDating >> Lebo... you really need help. Listen, I know this person who'll >> give you the best in dating tips, story-telling, and how to get your >> hair cut like Jonothan Chaffer's. Just e-mail him at rlg@metronet.com >> and the results will surprise every John, John, and Harry. > >Stephen, you shmuck!! I *told* you I wanted to keep this address a >secret! And here you go, posting it to a mailing list of who knows how >many people. Don't do that again. I use that other address to post for >a reason, you know. *This* address is supposed to be *confidential*, so >don't go posting it again! Thank you. And sorry to get angry, but you >know how important this is. And, jeez, I don't want *everyone* to get a haircut like mine. :-) +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 20:51:25 -0600 From: khockin@niu.edu (Katrina Hockin) Subject: Re: Unofficial Web Site >I've been working on sprucing up the unofficial TMBG web site >(http://www.tmbg.org/) and I'd like to make sure it works on different >kinds of web browsers. I'd appreciate it if I could get some feedback from >some people about how it looks under various versions of Lynx, Netscape, >Mosaic, etc. Thanks! > >--Jon > > >--------------------------------------------------------------------- >| jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | >--------------------------------------------------------------------- >| http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | >--------------------------------------------------------------------- > > I just tried the unofficial homepage on Netscape. It looks good. This was the first time I have tried it so I do not know how different it is. I thought it was pretty good. Katrina > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-73 *****************************