Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-76 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 76 Saturday, 25 November 1995 Today's Topics: big hot steamy thing Re: big hot steamy thing the giving of thanks. Istanbul (not constantinople): the real story tmbg...new years eve? Re: tmbg...new years eve? Re: big hot steamy thing Thanks.... Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 11:07:12 -0700 From: David Tweet Subject: big hot steamy thing Who here has a favorite John? Anyone at the Portland, OR show? Flansburg ended it by jumping up and down on his guitar!! Kool! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 14:41:30 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: big hot steamy thing >Who here has a favorite John? Linnell. 'Nuff said. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 15:17:02 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: the giving of thanks. this year has been rough. i've had to go through a lot of problems but somehow i've made it. i especially owe thanks to some new friends (sara and aimee) but an additional thanks to THEY and all of you for being such good people and for making this world a better place. may the force be with us in all of our journeys daniel (still without my own account) meyerson ------------------------------ From: Barteaux@aol.com Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 15:17:37 -0500 Subject: Istanbul (not constantinople): the real story In the monday edition of this digest i wrote: >i have the 1930's version of istanbul. >it's very big bandish, a lot slower and has fewer lines. >my friend found and gave it to me because i always face They on him. Unforunately it contains two typo's 1. i meant to say force rather than face. 2. it wasn't 1930's. i don't know why i though that. it was probably all the caffine. enough with the excusses, sorry about any confusion i may have caused. it is recorded in an album called 'the most requested songs of the fifties', here is what it says in the jacket: "If solo performers were particularly in demand in the 1950s, so were male quartets which proliferated like never before. With names like The Four Aces, The Four Freshman, The Four Coins, The Four Grads and The Four Most, they all vied for public attention. One of the most admired groups was The Four Lads, who backed Johnny Ray on his #1 hit, "Cry," and went on to make a name for themselves as recording stars. The group consisted of Frank Busseri, Bernard Toorish, James Arnold, and Connie Coderini, all from Toronto, Canada, who were discovered by Orlando Wilson, of the Golden Gate Quartet. Brought to New York on a two-week engagement, they lasted 30 weeks and were signed to the OKeh label, where they recorded their first hit, "The Mocking Bird." Subsequently they toured with Ray for months, and eventually followed him to Columbia. One of their early hits for the label and a song with which they became closely identified was "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)," recorded in 1953, which charted at #10. Two years later, following a series of minor hits, The Four Lads had another best seller with the #2 "Moments to Remember," which stayed on the charts for 25 weeks." >> This was the first time someone recorded the song, but i think it is from an folk song, with much older roots. the four lads get the credit because they were the first to sit down and write it out. Bartttttttttttt "to pity distress is but human; to relieve it is godlike."-horace mann --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Istanbul (not constantinople) Date: 95-11-23 19:21:57 EST From: Deaneau To: Barteaux Bart... "If solo performers were particularly in demand in the 1950s, so were male quartets which proliferated like never before. With names like The Four Aces, The Four Freshman, The Four Coins, The Four Grads and The Four Most, they all vied for public attention. One of the most admired groups was The Four Lads, who backed Johnny Ray on his #1 hit, "Cry," and went on to make a name for themselves as recording stars. The group consisted of Frank Busseri, Bernard Toorish, James Arnold, and Connie Coderini, all from Toronto, Canada, who were discovered by Orlando Wilson, of the Golden Gate Quartet. Brought to New York on a two-week engagement, they lasted 30 weeks and were signed to the OKeh label, where they recorded their first hit, "The Mocking Bird." Subsequently they toured with Ray for months, and eventually followed him to Columbia. One of their early hits for the label and a song with which they became closely identified was "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)," recorded in 1953, which charted at #10. Two years later, following a series of minor hits, The Four Lads had another best seller with the #2 "Moments to Remember," which stayed on the charts for 25 weeks." ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 15:45:01 -0500 Subject: tmbg...new years eve? hi guys & gals! well whats up with everyone? hope you all had a good thanksgiving. I heard that tmbg is playing NY on new years, if anyone has info or whatever could they please email me.. thanx... also anyone on this list from CT? this is the way to salvation! -king missile honey combs are big, yeah, yeah, yeah! - meat puppets at a recent concert "yeah but im sammy hagar, and this is van halen!" -les claypool on a fan yelling primus sucks at a ct appearance the plaguerat ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 16:13:11 -0500 (EST) From: "Adam P. Fistler" Subject: Re: tmbg...new years eve? On Fri, 24 Nov 1995 Plaguerat2@aol.com wrote: > hi guys & gals! > > well whats up with everyone? hope you all had a good thanksgiving. I > heard that tmbg is playing NY on new years, if anyone has info or whatever > could they please email me.. thanx... also anyone on this list from CT? > > this is the way to salvation! -king missile > honey combs are big, yeah, yeah, yeah! - meat puppets at a recent concert > "yeah but im sammy hagar, and this is van halen!" > -les claypool on a fan > yelling primus sucks at a ct > > > > > appearance > > the plaguerat > Well I dunno about Ney York, but They are playing in Phili, PA on the 30th in the worst possible part of town. But the tickets are on sale now and if you need the # to get tickets mail me back, I was gonna go until I found out where it was. (BTW my info on the part of the towns saftey if from my brothers friend. IF you can prove her wrong PLEASE email me back, I would love to go but my mom won't let me because its unsafe there, (they're playing at some place called the Trocato [terribly mispelled]) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 13:44:35 -0800 (PST) From: "Jacob T. Eidsmoe" Subject: Re: big hot steamy thing Unfair question. Without either, TMBG would not be... Yes, I was at the Portland show... -Jacob On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, David Tweet wrote: > Who here has a favorite John? Anyone at the Portland, OR show? Flansburg > ended it by jumping up and down on his guitar!! Kool! > > ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 00:12:11 -0500 From: ae333@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Robin L. Connell) Subject: Thanks.... Hello all, I hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving...I did, got to hang out with my folks, sister, her boyfriend/fiancee. Also, while my Dad spent hours watching football I was at the radio station doing a fun holiday special show...TMBG included, of course. I do live with my family still (heck, they're paying for college, I have too...I actually I like living with them...they're nice) so I felt the need to escape for awhile...But I digress...Rabid Child wrote a very nice post about the holidays, and also about giving thanks...So following in true Rabid Child tradition I felt the need to give thanks...Even if it is a day after Thanksgiving.... Thanks to my friend Sarah...truly one of the greatest friends I have ever had. Thanks to my parents who always have been there for me. Thanks to all mey friends for putting up with my weirdness.Thanks the heavens for TMBG, New Order, Joy Division for either help me through hard times, or putting one hell of a grin on my face. Thanks for this digest, It's always fun to read... Well now that I have shared...I think I'll go have another piece of pumkin pie... Robin. "While we're living the dreams we had as children fade away." -Oasis inc. -- --Robin Connell...College Radio Dj Supreme.....WBNY 91.3fm.....-- ---------------"Buffalo's Original Alternative."----------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-76 *****************************