From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #8 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Monday, 25 September 1995 Volume 01 : Number 008 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Jon Mann Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 11:31:27 +0930 (CST) Subject: Istanbul I don't have the FAQ at hand here, but I'm wondering if it includes the following... I was listening to an interview with a German singer, Katarina Valente, who's apparently been around for 60 or so years now (since she was 5). Anyway, she mentioned her first jazz album, which was a complete flop, but she still liked it. Among the songs on this album was one called 'Istanbul'. I thought, "No, it couldn't be." It was. A very serious rendition of a very silly song, with what she said was the best jazz band (in Germany) at the time. This is really one for the collectors... - ------------------------------------Garfield says:---------------------- - - Jon 'the Bosch' Mann - "Poor Jon, sitting there so peacefully. - - - jemann@smug.student. - I really should stop harassing him. - - - adelaide.edu.au - But first I have to get rid of this brick." - ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 20:15:40 +0800 Subject: Constantinople Hi. I heard a rumor that there is a cover of the song "Constantinople' (Itself a cover I believe) that appeared on Tiny Toons, as sung by (apparently) hampton. Is this rumour or fact? Can someone back this up for meor am I just being swindled by evil communist pigs? PS When is the new album out outside of the states AND are they gonne be touring Australasia (note lack of use of term "Australia", I do not live there) any time soon? Thanks a whole bunch. - ------------------------------------ All things being equal, fat people use more soap. Michael Carr Email: - ------------------------------------ : P~~~~~D=| ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 07:45:04 -0600 Subject: Re: Constantinople >Hi. I heard a rumor that there is a cover of the song "Constantinople' >(Itself a cover I believe) that appeared on Tiny Toons, as sung by >(apparently) hampton. Is this rumour or fact? Can someone back this up for >meor am I just being swindled by evil communist pigs? The Tiny Toons episode called Tiny Toons Music Television had animated videos for both Istanbul and Particle Man. They are not covers, but straight from the Johns' mouths. ****************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 07:51:09 EDT Subject: Re: Paper > Please, everyone with papers like this POST 'EM! The way you > (collectively) keep talking about 'em but not posting 'em is really > bugging me. It's like you're teasing me....with all of your might. > - > Free the expo '67 > Yeah Post Em! And if we change our minds after you do post em we can always delete your mail. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 07:53:03 EDT Subject: Re: giant babies > My God, another. > > There are other people who try to sing TMBG songs in other languages. > Well I tried some french, but I've only had 5 years of highschool french and only know how to ask where the bathroom is and where it will be. So I'm not really successful in doing so. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 07:57:20 EDT Subject: Re: Boat of Crap > I can't stop thinking that there might be such a thing as thinking too much! > I mean, think about it! > Well if you stop thinking all you do is concertate on your breathing. And if you think about something too much then it doesn't make sence anymore. Here try it think about a word then after a while it won't sound right. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 08:11:37 EDT Subject: Re: Constantinople > Hi. I heard a rumor that there is a cover of the song "Constantinople' > (Itself a cover I believe) that appeared on Tiny Toons, as sung by > (apparently) hampton. Is this rumour or fact? Can someone back this up for > meor am I just being swindled by evil communist pigs? > PS When is the new album out outside of the states AND are they gonne be > touring Australasia (note lack of use of term "Australia", I do not live > there) any time soon? > This is true. It was in the same espisode where they did Particle Man. I belive both are avaibale on video on Tiny Toons Music Television. As for release dates for everthing. All it comes down to is whenever they feel like putting it out. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 08:13:25 EDT Subject: Re: New album > From tmbg-list-owner@ufp.org Fri Sep 22 19:40:43 1995 > X-Sender: pleonard@mail.utexas.edu > X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.1.2 > Mime-Version: 1.0 > On another subject, has everybody seen the "TMBG--The Early Years" FAQ on > the (un)official web page? I haven't seen it on a web site anywhere but I have seen it posted to alt.music.tmbg several times. ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 08:18:18 EDT Subject: Re: boat of car > Makes more sense to me than 'Hot Cha' to name one of many... Well the times when I'm too lazy to skip over hot cha I got this meaning out of it. (well only a surface meaning not a deep physiclogical exmanination of the song) It was about a girl that went away once then came back then went away again then somoene (father, boyfriend) is looking for her and wants her to come back. But then again it could be about a guy that got drunk once and went to rehab and now hes dreaming about what it would be like to be drunk again... ------------------------------ From: ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:55:09 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: New album yes it is a compilatioon of b-sides and such, much like Misc-T On Fri, 22 Sep 1995 johniac@austin.ibm.com wrote: > ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu writes: > > yes the new album is supposed to be out on oct 24, but i have heard > > rumors that the date may be pushed back to early spring '96. > > But this is "Super-Fueled Freaksicle" and not an album of new material, right? > > -- > John Iacoletti IBM - Team AIX Austin, Texas > johniac@austin.ibm.com or johniac@vnet.ibm.com > My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation > ------------------------------ From: ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:55:09 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: New album yes it is a compilatioon of b-sides and such, much like Misc-T On Fri, 22 Sep 1995 johniac@austin.ibm.com wrote: > ckerchn1@ic3.ithaca.edu writes: > > yes the new album is supposed to be out on oct 24, but i have heard > > rumors that the date may be pushed back to early spring '96. > > But this is "Super-Fueled Freaksicle" and not an album of new material, right? > > -- > John Iacoletti IBM - Team AIX Austin, Texas > johniac@austin.ibm.com or johniac@vnet.ibm.com > My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation > ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Date: 25 Sep 1995 13:19:00 +0200 Subject: Vogelhaus In reaction to this contribution: > From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) > Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 17:23:19 -0600 > Subject: Voting for Fave Song > "In German, we like to call it 'Vogelhaus in deiner Zahle.'" This is German, but it translates to 'Birdhouse in your *number*'. The correct translation in German is: 'Vogelhaus in deiner Seele.' ... "Kuesse mich, Sohn von Gott..." ------------------------------ From: parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira) Date: 25 Sep 1995 13:19:00 +0200 Subject: Vogelhaus In reaction to this contribution: > From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) > Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 17:23:19 -0600 > Subject: Voting for Fave Song > "In German, we like to call it 'Vogelhaus in deiner Zahle.'" This is German, but it translates to 'Birdhouse in your *number*'. The correct translation in German is: 'Vogelhaus in deiner Seele.' ... "Kuesse mich, Sohn von Gott..." ------------------------------ From: "Jason G." Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 11:52:46 -0400 (EDT) Subject: [none] >From: Matt Powers >Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 18:15:21 -0700 (PDT) >Subject: Re: boat of car > >I've always gone with the interpretation that "Boat of Car" is about the >Ted Kennedy/Chappaquidick incident. I'm not too familiar with the event, >but I gather that Ted Kennedy and a woman went driving, the car went off >a cliff into a body of water, Ted climbed out and saved his own butt, but >the woman drowned. Anyone who knows better, speak up. > >But now I'm following the traces of your fingernails >That run along the windshield on the boat of car [but now I'm a >political mess] >Traces of your fingernails that run along the windshield >On the boat of car [the car was, for a very short time, a boat] Maybe the traces are from her fingernail scratching at the glass to get out as the car sank in the water. I think her name was Mary Jo Kopeckne ps.. I also think Bill Nye Rules... he often times has more non-sequitors in one episode than the whole John Henry album! - -- ============================================================================== "I am | Jason S. Giddens | Buddhist to Hot Dog Kaiser Soze!" | Orlando, Florida | Vendor: "Make me one -The Usual Suspects| jsg35759@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu | with everything!" ============================================================================== The Dallas Cowboys... Without a doubt the greatest football team in the NFL. ============================================================================== ------------------------------ From: William Pat Chuss Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 9:58:57 PDT Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #6 (fwd) > From: Benjamin Hauck > Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 10:46:09 -0400 (EDT) > Subject: Boat of Crap > > Ben or Been here. > Yes, truthfully. > > "Boat of Car" I would have to say for myself is perhaps the most > nonsensical song of TMBG's I've heard. I try to think, "What does this > mean?" and get frazzled, for when I think I piece together some inherent > meaning to the song, one piece leads me astray. > > In a previous version of this digest (or the newsgroup I can't remember), one of our friends hit this one right on the head. Well, if you ask me that is. The interpretation was that of the Ted Kennedy/Chappaquidick(sp?) incident where he mistook his auto for a boat and landed in in the drink killin his female companion. "I was trying to get somewhere, but now I'm following the traces of your fingernails as the run along the windshield of the Boat of Car." Hmmm, could've been a presidential contender had this incident not blemished his integrity? Maybe the original poster could elaborate, but I think you get the jist of it. Pat "No thank you please I'm only looking. I don't believe we've met before. I guess I've died and went to heaven. Or else I'm looking out my nose." -David Byrne- ------------------------------ From: obo@hopf.dnai.com (Bo Orloff) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 10:54:38 -0700 Subject: John & John NYC solo shows 10/7 (A copy of this message has also been posted to the following newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg) John Linnell (performing "State Songs") & John Flansburgh's "solo project" Mono Puff will both be appearing live at New York City's Mercury Lounge on October 7th. For details check out: - -- Bo Orloff "There are no coincidences, but sometimes the pattern is more obvious." -Neil Innes ------------------------------ From: Benjamin Hauck Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 14:08:21 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Ben's Dial-A-Song New song: Tiny Tim's rendition of "I Got You Babe." TMBG soon to follow. Ben or Been ------------------------------ From: Benjamin Hauck Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 14:00:54 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Re: Vogelhaus Ist diese "Zahle" ohne Umlaut? (Is this "Zahle" without umlaut?) I haven't a dictionary at my side, yet I wonder if "soul" ins Deutsch ist: Z"ahle Wunderbar, Ben or Been der Schauspieler ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #8 ****************************************