Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-81 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 81 Thursday, 30 November 1995 Today's Topics: Re: Ana Ng Chuckmysta the order of arboreality... Joe Jackson corrections and J.K. Polk. Re: Ana Ng Re: the order of arboreality... WLSD Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. (fwd) Rhythm section want ad.... ana ng bridge Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. My new nickname re: hello Re:james k polk thing Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. Mystery Subject Kurtis Blow Re: nicknames Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. Re: Mystery Subject Re: Mystery Subject irc tonight Re: frankenberry RE:TMBG and Joe Jackson--THE CONNECTION OKAY HERE IT IS!! (was Re: IRC) Re: Trouble with signature... Re: Ana Ng Re: ana ng bridge Re: Mystery Subject irc again New Year's Eve Goin' down to cowtown irc again Re: irc again Re: hello Re: OKAY HERE IT IS!! (was Re: IRC) irc again Re: Trouble with signature... curtis blow Curtis Blow Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. re: hello Re: Mystery Subject Re: German Obsessed TMBG Fans Re: New Year's Eve It's MY BIRTHDAY!!! k&w upcoming shows heeva hava RE: upcoming shows RE: upcoming shows New Year's Eve Re: OKAY HERE IT IS!! (was Re: IRC) one last message before bed Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 06:27:41 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Ana Ng >Does anyone know if the bridge in Ana Ng actuall exists somewhere? >Obviously some loyal fan has taken it upon themself to make a bridge like >that. But is there an orginal, and where?? It cannot exist, for the wording in the DAS version of the song is different. If there were a real bridge, we can assume they would quote it consistently. Where the Lincoln version has "I don't want the world, I just want your half" the Power of Dial-a-Song has "I don't want everything, I just want your half" 'Nuff said. TTFN +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ From: MrJohnV@aol.com Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:29:14 -0500 Subject: Chuckmysta Unfortunately he's already had a ex-girlfriend turn up lesbian Since nicknames have been a topic lately I guess I'll share mine... This is another disaster to be blamed on Chuck, He decided I needed a nickname in 5th grade and so he called me.......Stinky and it stuck for 8 years now (No, I don't smell) Now, at the time Chuck was called Ryan, because that's his real name. Then the movie Can't Buy Me Love came out and it seemed the Chuck character had a resemblemce to our Ryan because we always had to tell him to shut up...before my grammar and logic skills become completely foreign I'll get right to it... we decided that Shut Up Chuck rolled off the tongue much easier than Shut Up Ryan, even though Ryan is a much more annoying name and fits him better In other news, as far as the Trocadero's concerned, The Dead Milkmen put out a whole CD live from the the Trocadero, if the Dead Milkmen played there you never know what kind of a place it is, I saw them in a shut down movie theatre once, they played in front of the screen and even showed movies for a while, but...my point, it's probably the same Trocadero, how many could there be? SenSurround, this is easy, find someone who loves MMPR so much they'll buy the album just for the picture and give it to them in return for the CD. Two people happy! And isn't that what's important, happiness? _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- "Celibacy is not Hereditary" ][ Mr John V "Philosophers, Attorneys & Accountants cannot say enough about 'OK'" -OK carbonated "bevarage" can ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:59:08 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: the order of arboreality... > > Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 08:29:25 -0600 > From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) > Subject: Re: cowtown > > >what is cowtown about, anyway? does it refer in any way to my birthplace, > >fort worth, tx, "where the west begins", "cowtown"... > >the cow beneath the sea would seem to be a manatee, but hmm. any interpreta- > >tions? ------------------ > > From: Wakko > Subject: Re: cowtown > > Iris- > > > i really just don't know, but the song does mention, i think "the yellow > > rose" which might be in reference to the song, "The Yellow Rose of > > Texas". but then again, i might be messing up the lyrics and i might be > > looking like a true dolt right now.... > > > Well, not exactly a dolt - you're just missing a few syllables. It DOES > say "the yellow rose", but "Rose" is the first syllable of "roosevelt". > the complete line is "the yellow roosevelt avenue leaf overturned". But > you do get an extra ten points for originality!!! :) > > Luv, > 'Nette > Subject: Re: cowtown > > > Actually, there are two plays on words in this line. > > The yellow Roosevelt Avenue leaf overturned > > The yellow rose of Texas > Roosevelt Avenue > new leaf overturned > well i haven't seen the interpretation site, so maybe this has been said before but the line: "the order of arboreality is an adventure we have spurned..." with previous reference to Roosevelt, i believe it is talking about Theodore Roosevelt. Ol' Roos loved adventures (safari, hunting, war...) but he also became a devout Conservationalist (which if i remember my american history correctly, is why the U.S. has National parks and a nat'l park service; because of the legislation he introduced). so i think whatever Cowtown means, it has something to do with Roosevelt. If anyone has too much time on their hands, maybe you could do some research and find out if it could be refering to D.C. or someplace that Roosevelt lived. may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 06:04:59 -0800 From: landrub@ix.netcom.com (Andrew Bowers ) Subject: Joe Jackson > >Does anyone else think that joe jackson doing statue of liberty on the xtc >tribute is totally smokin'? I'm sorry that I can't share your enthusiasm for Joe's redition (I much perfer the original) but, I do enjoy his early stuff quite a bit - Look Sharp, I'm The Man et all. He even went so far as to put out a very respectable big band album called "Jumpin' Jive" that is mostly old Louis Jordan songs. The song "Five Guys Named Mo" is particularly good. Even my stick-in-the-mud-rock-and-roll-sucks father liked this CD. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 09:17:17 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: corrections and J.K. Polk. 1st thing: it's not "Daddy'll sing bass" it's "Daniel sing bass" i'm not terribly hurt but it was annoying (because i'm a Daniel myself, so i think that i will use that name from now until the end of time...) 2nd thing: the head is not J.K. Polk (although the history lesson was darn accurate) i don't know who it is (althought that newspaper guy seems most likely) but it is not J.K. Polk. Didn't they have the floating head long before they wrote "James K. Polk"? whatever. may the force be with you daniel sing bass ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 95 11:11:20 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Ana Ng > Does anyone know if the bridge in Ana Ng actuall exists somewhere? > Obviously some loyal fan has taken it upon themself to make a bridge like > that. But is there an orginal, and where?? Well I think it was in thier last catalog (not the current one but the one before that one), where They said they didn't actually see it written on a bridge but just made it up. But then after some people heard the song, they wrote it on a bridge. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 11:11:53 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: the order of arboreality... > well i haven't seen the interpretation site, so maybe this has been said > before but the line: > > "the order of arboreality is an adventure we have spurned..." > > with previous reference to Roosevelt, i believe it is talking about Theodore > Roosevelt. Ol' Roos loved adventures (safari, hunting, war...) but he also > became a devout Conservationalist (which if i remember my american history > correctly, is why the U.S. has National parks and a nat'l park service; > because of the legislation he introduced). so i think whatever Cowtown > means, it has something to do with Roosevelt. If anyone has too much time > on their hands, maybe you could do some research and find out if it could > be refering to D.C. or someplace that Roosevelt lived. > may the force be with you > daniel > Hate to be so picky, but this is one of the few songs I know by heart. The line is "The ARDOR of arboreality....", which is a strange little word, and I guess only John knows why they used it (No, maybe John knows, too) If I'm way off, you know where to send the flames..... Luv, 'Nette `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'Jeanette`Frost`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun....." (Douglas Adams) .......from which came this mailer!!!! `'`'`'`'`'`'`'Trenton`State'College'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "If the puppet head "Put Your Hand Inside Was only busted in the Puppet Head" It would be a better thing - TMBG - For everyone involved And we wouldn't have to cry" `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'frost@trenton.edu'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:24:51 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: WLSD In response to the question about WLSD, in one interp I read, it is referring\ to the statue of liberty. WLSD W-el-es-D WelesD eles, elis, like ellis island. eh? eh? Liam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 11:28:18 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. Me again!!! I know, I know, the correcting b**** routine gets annoying, but I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist. > 1st thing: > it's not "Daddy'll sing bass" it's "Daniel sing bass" i'm not terribly > hurt but it was annoying (because i'm a Daniel myself, so i think that i > will use that name from now until the end of time...) It IS "Daddy'll sing bass". The line comes from an old Johnny Cash tune, "Daddy sang bass", and is lifted from the chorus: Daddy sang bass, mama sang tenor, Me & little brother would join right in there [Most of the lyrics snipped - I hate typing] Bye & bye, Lord, Bye & bye. Daddy'll sing bass, mama'll sing tenor ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Me and little brother gonna join right in there In the sky, Lord, in the sky. Sorry I keep picking on you!! :) Luv, 'Nette `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'Jeanette`Frost`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun....." (Douglas Adams) .......from which came this mailer!!!! `'`'`'`'`'`'`'Trenton`State'College'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "If the puppet head "Put Your Hand Inside Was only busted in the Puppet Head" It would be a better thing - TMBG - For everyone involved And we wouldn't have to cry" `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'frost@trenton.edu'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 08:48:28 -0800 (PST) From: "'Alejandro' Joseph Koenen" Subject: Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. (fwd) On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: > it's not "Daddy'll sing bass" it's "Daniel sing bass" i'm not terribly > hurt but it was annoying Are you serious? or was this a joke? I know, and others will confirm The sample in Boat of Car comes from a Johnny Cash song, the title of which I cannot now recall{It has a 'circle' in it someplace} The first 2 or 3 chourus' begin 'Daddy sang bass, momma sang tennor' the last chourus{looking to seeing his family again in the great beyond} begins 'Daddy'll bass, mama'll sing tennor' Sorry if this disrupts your belief system. The annoyingly dogg`ed, _______________________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| | | _______| _______| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| |_______ | _______| |_______ | | | | | | | | |___________|___________|_____|_____|___________|___________|___________| Joe Koenen weasel@u.washingtopn.edu ------------------------------ From: DUPREY11@SNYCORVA.CORTLAND.EDU Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 12:17:40 -0400 (EDT) Subject: Rhythm section want ad.... DUNCE CAPS can be used as megaphones..... That is all. -Onderdonk ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 95 12:28 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: ana ng bridge a thought just occurred to me about the bridge mentioned in ana ng: perhaps the y say bridge because it is in the bridge of the song. (for those of you who don 't know what a bridge in a song is: its a part between the usual chorus and ver se that is slightly different and sometimes in a different key) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 12:42:36 -0500 (EST) From: The Sage One Subject: Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. I can't speak on the J.K. Polk thing but one thing I do know is that it is Daddy Sang Bass. It is part of an old Hank Williams song I believe. At any rate it is an old country song. Daddy sang bass Momma sang tenor something somthing somthing... ______________________________________________________________________________ "After all the feelings go, I see I still love you so. Just thought I'd let you know, now that everything's ok." -Faith No More ~Stick~ *Chris MacLeod* "The Sage One" ______________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 12:12:56 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: My new nickname For the time being the artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Joe will be presently known as the GUy who Hit YOu in the Eye Joe ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 12:34:25 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: re: hello On Wed, 29 Nov 1995 Barteaux@aol.com wrote: > >Matt James It is nice to know that I'm not the only New Order/Joy Division > >fan around here..... > > count me in. > > bart > > > would someone tell me what WLSD is. There is a Chicago radio station Called WLS but it's all tald radio. I believe it is a reference to Lysergic Acid Ditholomide Sp An extremely powerful halucinagen sold as LSD, I don't know. Joe ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:02:03 -0600 From: brown-eyed pickle boy Subject: Re:james k polk thing At 02:11 AM 11/29/95 -0500, Matthew James wrote: >He also acquired California. >--End of history lesson next day's assignment: he also annexed TEXAS!!!!!!! end of line. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:07:20 -0600 From: brown-eyed pickle boy Subject: Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. At 09:17 AM 11/29/95 -0500, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: >1st thing: >it's not "Daddy'll sing bass" it's "Daniel sing bass" i'm not terribly >hurt but it was annoying (because i'm a Daniel myself, so i think that i >will use that name from now until the end of time...) um, unless i (and other people, including johnny cash) are wrong, it's not either -- it's "Daddy SANG bass." end of line ------------------------------ Subject: Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:46:34 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of brown-eyed pickle boy: > >At 09:17 AM 11/29/95 -0500, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: >>1st thing: >>it's not "Daddy'll sing bass" it's "Daniel sing bass" i'm not terribly >>hurt but it was annoying (because i'm a Daniel myself, so i think that i >>will use that name from now until the end of time...) > >um, unless i (and other people, including johnny cash) are wrong, it's not >either -- it's "Daddy SANG bass." Since it is sung once each way in the source song (daddy SANG and daddy'll SING) it's open to debate. My ears suggest the latter. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 09:52:12 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Mystery Subject Okay I haven't really noticed it a whole bunch up till now but someone brought it up so now I gotta ask: WHO or WHAT IS CURTIS BLOW? Does sound a wee bit strange, a questionable name like 'blow', um and does he have a distinctive voice... PLUS (Because I know you want another question...) Which John is the one that sings out of his nose?? Because he bugs me just a liddel bit, and I'm talking about the one that does the voiceover in "Why Does The Sun Shine" and sings in "dead" I think.... Mike *************************************************** Cheer up! it's always darkest just before it goes completely black! +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ Michael Carr (email: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz) University Of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand Where Our Motto Is: 'Deutschland Uber Alice? Who's Alice?!' *************************************************** ------------------------------ From: salad shooter Subject: Kurtis Blow Date: Wed, 29 Nov 95 16:08:00 EST First of all, it is spelled Kurtis, with a "K". Kurtis Blow, mentioned in 'where your eyes don't go' off of lincoln(you're free to come and go/or talk like Kurtis Blow) was an old school rapper in the early-mid eighties. farside ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 16:09:27 -0500 Subject: Re: nicknames well i was appointed mine by funky jo, the love demon if you must know... but its not tmbg related.. umm i claim flood though... basically because it was my last name for many moons before the johns named the album after me!! (extinguish ego) plaguerat the original flood id make a sig but it wouldnt fit on the damn screen ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 16:15:01 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, brown-eyed pickle boy wrote: > At 09:17 AM 11/29/95 -0500, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: > >1st thing: > >it's not "Daddy'll sing bass" it's "Daniel sing bass" i'm not terribly > >hurt but it was annoying (because i'm a Daniel myself, so i think that i > >will use that name from now until the end of time...) > > > um, unless i (and other people, including johnny cash) are wrong, it's not > either -- it's "Daddy SANG bass." > > end of line > > Well, it is "Daddy'll sing bass" in the last verse, where he talks about seeing his family "in the sky, lord, in the sky". :) 'Nette `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'Jeanette`Frost`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun....." (Douglas Adams) .......from which came this mailer!!!! `'`'`'`'`'`'`'Trenton`State'College'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' "If the puppet head "Put Your Hand Inside Was only busted in the Puppet Head" It would be a better thing - TMBG - For everyone involved And we wouldn't have to cry" `'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'frost@trenton.edu'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`' ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 15:05:07 -0600 From: "Pop Heiress (dies)" Subject: Re: Mystery Subject >PLUS >(Because I know you want another question...) >Which John is the one that sings out of his nose?? Because he bugs me just >a liddel bit, and I'm talking about the one that does the voiceover in "Why >Does The Sun Shine" and sings in "dead" I think.... >Mike this would be Linnell. I've heard other people express similar views of Linnell's voice, but personally, i like it. up there on the wall at the store... paul ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 15:43:08 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Mystery Subject > Okay I haven't really noticed it a whole bunch up till now but someone > brought it up so now I gotta ask: > WHO or WHAT IS CURTIS BLOW? > > Does sound a wee bit strange, a questionable name like 'blow', um and does > he have a distinctive voice... Buy his albums or watch the movie Krush Groove and then you will know. It seems like TMBG, back in the early/mid-eighties AND in New York must've have had a significant relationship with Curtis Blow, I can imagine either they were fans of the old school/street party/hip-hop/dj/rap scene OR they weree poking fun at it/fending it off OR (being in New York) they were personally acquainted with Curtis Blow in one way or another. anyone? erik (abestos@mail.utexas.edu) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 16:46:54 -0500 Subject: irc tonight From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) i was just making sure that the irc chat was tonight if it is respond as soon as possible and give me the details thanks so much "Can't shake the devils hand and say your only kidding!" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 15:51:42 -0500 (CDT) From: Joelle Rehberg Subject: Re: frankenberry >....Frankenberry (yes, it's tmbg related, but a VERY obscure >reference for some),........... Hiya... When I was at a TMBG show in Milwaukee, the Johns suddenly started singing the word "Frankenberry" over and over again. It was one of my favorite parts of the concert (my brothers' fav part too). I was wondering if they have sung this "song" at other concerts, or if it was on Dial-a-song, or what. Thanks. -- Joelle Rehberg jrehberg@luther.cuw.edu ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Wed, 29 Nov 95 14:50:39 MST Subject: RE:TMBG and Joe Jackson--THE CONNECTION salad shooter wrote: Does anyone else think that joe jackson doing statue of liberty on the xtc tribute is totally smokin'? does anyone know anything else about joe jackson that they wouldn't mind sharing? i noticed that in the christmas mailing he was specifically mentioned in the capsule on the album. is there some connection lurking between tmbg and joe jackson (who i assume is not as shoeless as the original)? It's TIME TO LET THE SECRET OUT! I am the mystical connection between Joe Jackson and TMBG. These are the only artists whose mail lists I subscribe to. I have followed Joe Jackson's career since 1979 (Look Sharp!). I have followed They Might Be Giants for the past four years (since Apollo 18). I have seen both of them in concert exactly once. They are both favorites of mine. I currently don't own any XTC albums, but have heard a few of their songs (Peter Pumpkinhead) on the radio. Perhaps I should give them a listen! ============================================================================= Russ Josephson RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 13:57:59 -0800 From: "Sean M. Bergeron" Subject: OKAY HERE IT IS!! (was Re: IRC) At 10:43 PM 11/27/95 -0500, you wrote: >Hey maybe one of you can help me over here. I know this has probably been >asked about a hundred times but here it is again. What is the server name >for the IRC chat on Wednesday nights and is the channel still #tmbg or was >it #cowtown? I can't remember, but if someone could please help me it >would be most appreciated. thank you > > Mr. >Klaw.... > > I posted this awhile back. I see that it is needed again. We do need more people to show up, but I haven't seen many folks who've inquired about "How to do IRC" Maybe it's just me, but it seem to be me (BlueDawg), Jared, Myke, The bots (JohnHenry and pendel) and a few other folks who show up occasionally. I know that Bo shows up later, as he is on the wrong coast. Again it is @ 2100 Eastern Standard Time (0100 GMT, 1700 PST). Hope to see y'all there.... @BlueDawg 1. Get a program that lets you use IRC. The one that I use is Called mIRC32. You can find them at the CWS list...http://www.cwsapps.texas.net, I think. 2. Find out if your provider has a server. If so, get the name of it. 3. Set up your software according to the instructions. 4. After you have connected, type; /JOIN #tmbg 5. you should then be welcomed by our friendly bot, John Henry. WE ARE ON EFNET, NOT ANY OTHER NETWORK. BEFORE IT IS TIME FOR THE WEEKLY CHAT, I SUGGEST TRYING TO OPEN THE CHANNEL. IF YOU SEE THE BOT @JohnHenry, YOU'RE IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!!!! --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "It's a thing named it in a bottomless pit, you can't see it there. The sunken head that lies in the bed of a self-called nowhere!"--John Sidney Linnell, master of ambiguity --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 13:58:02 -0800 From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Trouble with signature... At 10:04 AM 11/28/95 -0600, you wrote: >> Feel pity for me. I Have been a fan for a good while now but I >> have only been a member of this E-mail list for a short while. Are there >> ANY nicknames from TMBG or whatever that are NOT being used? I mean, >> every character from every album is now the handle/address of an Internet >> subscriber. > >You could call yourself "Pink" and have flame wars with "Blue Dog." :-) Bring it on!!! I bet they wouldn't go to the extent of making a web site to prove his point....I never quit. If you don't believe me, check out: http://users.aol.com/idiotnot/bluedog.html It only kicks ass if you've got Netscape or IBM Internet Explorer. I haven't figured out how to make it crash the Micro$oft browser, but I'm working on it. --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "It's a thing named it in a bottomless pit, you can't see it there. The sunken head that lies in the bed of a self-called nowhere!"--John Sidney Linnell, master of ambiguity --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:10:24 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Ana Ng On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, The Sage One wrote: > > Does anyone know if the bridge in Ana Ng actuall exists somewhere? > Obviously some loyal fan has taken it upon themself to make a bridge like > that. But is there an orginal, and where?? > > "I don't want to be first in line to see the missing head, so the line > has a missing head." The john's said in a newsletter a while ago that the line wasn't inspired by a bridge; it came from a conversation about money. However, there have been a few vandalized bridges with the line... some of which have been seen by the Johns themselves.... in New York somewhere. lebo (a non-TMBG nickname, but still damn fine thank you very much) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:16:04 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: ana ng bridge On Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo wrote: > a thought just occurred to me about the bridge mentioned in ana ng: perhaps the > y say bridge because it is in the bridge of the song. (for those of you who don > 't know what a bridge in a song is: its a part between the usual chorus and ver > se that is slightly different and sometimes in a different key) > I've thought of this many a times.... gotta love the John's for being so friging clever. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:19:33 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Mystery Subject tOn Wed, 29 Nov 1995, Pop Heiress (dies) wrote: > > >PLUS > >(Because I know you want another question...) > >Which John is the one that sings out of his nose?? Because he bugs me just > >a liddel bit, and I'm talking about the one that does the voiceover in "Why > >Does The Sun Shine" and sings in "dead" I think.... > >Mike > > this would be Linnell. I've heard other people express similar views of > Linnell's voice, but personally, i like it. > > up there on the wall at the store... > > paul > I thought Flans was nasal boy.... cauze he always seems to be out of key... and cauze he sings on WDTSS. a confused lebo ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:38:19 -0500 Subject: irc again From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) yo blue dog.. could you please give us people a few more details about the server? i mean? efnet isn't too informative? like irc.efnet, and all that? oh well, must be going now.. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:06:22 -0500 (EST) From: BECK Subject: New Year's Eve I found out from the Village Voice that They are doing 2 shows in NYC on New Year's Eve. Both are at Tramp's. The first one is all ages the second is 18+. The second show is also somewhat more expensive. I can get the exact prices if such a thing generates interest. Beck "I believe in coyotes and time as an abstract"? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:12:50 -0500 (EST) From: BECK Subject: Goin' down to cowtown I always thought: The yellow Roosevelt Avenue leaf overturn was a reference to Roosevelt Ave in Queens, NY. It runs right past the site of the 64 World's Fair and we all know how wrapped up THAT the Johns are Beck PS>>How do you use the reply command to send a post straight to the list. Does reply only send it to the person who posted or to the whole list? Thanks for listening " "Gentlemen, don't get caught. Cages under cage. Gentlemen, don't get caught. Boxcars are pulling out of town." REM from '81 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:11:08 -0500 Subject: irc again From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) How do I get on EFNET I can't figure it out? -- "Can't shake the devils hand and say your only kidding!" Mr. Klaw ------------------------------ Subject: Re: irc again Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:33:14 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Rabbit Ears: >yo blue dog.. could you please give us people a few more details about the >server? i mean? efnet isn't too informative? like irc.efnet, and all that? >oh well, must be going now.. You can get a list of EFnet servers from here: http://www.comco.com/dougmc/irc-stats/server-list.txt Try one geogrphically close to you or your provider; if all else fails try one of these public servers: irc.sdsc.edu, irc.colorado.edu, irc.eskimo.com, irc.cris.com. ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Subject: Re: hello Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:38:53 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts In the immortal words of Matthew James: >And speaking of stations beginning with W or K, didn't somebody mention a radio station in >NYC that began with a K? How is this possible, if K stations don't start until ya get west of >the Mississippi (or wherever the line is)? I've only heard of W stations around here, >WBAL and WHFS being two of the biggest in these parts. This is one of the benefits of living in a city through which the Mississippi runs. There is a radio station here in Minneapolis/St. Paul that is KREV and WREV (105.1 and .3) with transmitters on opposite sides of the river (in the north and south, to improve reception; their signal is pretty weak as it is.) ============================================ Chris.Bongaarts-1@umn.edu Chris Bongaarts My opinions are my own, http://umn.edu/~cab Univ. of Minnesota and they are right. CBongo on EFnet IRC (#umn) GCS d-- s:+ a21 C+++ ULHSX++++$ P++++ L++ E W++ N++ K+++ w-- !O M+ !V PS+ PE+ Y-- PGP-- t+ !5 !X R tv b+ DI++++ D+ G++ e h- !r y? [GeekCode 3.0] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 19:05:56 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: OKAY HERE IT IS!! (was Re: IRC) Okay, I've tried to follow all of your IRC instructions, but can't even get past the first step. Does it involve actually downloading a program? What would i do with said program, if I could even get to it somehow? Then, though I have yet to reach this stage, HOW would I go about finding out if the "provider" has a "server". I just confused. help...? FLK ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 20:27:48 -0500 Subject: irc again From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) How do I get on EFNET I can't figure it out? -- "Can't shake the devils hand and say your only kidding!" Mr. Klaw ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 20:32:48 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Trouble with signature... >Bring it on!!! I bet they wouldn't go to the extent of making a web site to >prove his point....I never quit. http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/pink.html Easier done than said. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 19:48:08 -0600 (CST) From: Fenchurch Subject: curtis blow about curtis blow: from my limited experience i don't know well who he is, but i have heard two albums while driving in the car. as to a distinctive voice, yes he does have a distinctive voice/manner of talking. sounds a bit like "you'll miss me". fenny17 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:07:09 -0800 (PST) From: "'Alejandro' Joseph Koenen" Subject: Curtis Blow Curtis Blow, As many know, Is a one time rapper of great repute. His aggrandizing, Caused great despising, The both of which, none can refute. He was one of the early rappers on record; before Run DMC, or the Beastie boys, few if any other than HARDCORE rap-ists know of him, or his work. I was really hard to find in the burbs. The parenial burb kid, _______________________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| | | _______| _______| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| |_______ | _______| |_______ | | | | | | | | |___________|___________|_____|_____|___________|___________|___________| Joe Koenen weasel@u.washingtopn.edu ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:16:28 -0800 From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: corrections and J.K. Polk. At 02:46 PM 11/29/95 -0600, you wrote: >In the immortal words of brown-eyed pickle boy: >> >>At 09:17 AM 11/29/95 -0500, DAVID A. MEYERSON wrote: >>>1st thing: >>>it's not "Daddy'll sing bass" it's "Daniel sing bass" i'm not terribly >>>hurt but it was annoying (because i'm a Daniel myself, so i think that i >>>will use that name from now until the end of time...) >> >>um, unless i (and other people, including johnny cash) are wrong, it's not >>either -- it's "Daddy SANG bass." > >Since it is sung once each way in the source song (daddy SANG and >daddy'll SING) it's open to debate. My ears suggest the latter. > Not sure which is which. I think it is Daddy SANG bass, tho. BlueDawg.....beginning to think that Daniel Meyerson is about ten years old. JOIN US ON IRC!!!! CHANNEL #tmbg !!!!!! --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "It's a thing named it in a bottomless pit, you can't see it there. The sunken head that lies in the bed of a self-called nowhere!"--John Sidney Linnell, master of ambiguity --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:16:17 -0800 From: BlueDawg Subject: re: hello At 02:45 AM 11/29/95 -0500, you wrote: >Since you were curious about the radio call letters: > >Ok, here's the deal - the NY station mentioned was KRock, but >the call letters are WXRK. That's all. Stupid station ploy. Like the sorry-ass station that I used to listen to in Harrisburg....WIMX....what is it called??? THE MIX!! >It's a really cool classic rock station, which has the misfortune of >featuring both Howard Stern and the Greaseman. Greaseman funny? Not since he left D.C. 101. Stern's quality has dropped quite a bit lately, too. Don&Mike is the only respectable comedy radio sho left on the air. >They're both funny, but >they take too much time away from the Rock & Roll. :) Not that I'm a big fan of classic rock, but I'd rather hear that than Greaseman. --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "It's a thing named it in a bottomless pit, you can't see it there. The sunken head that lies in the bed of a self-called nowhere!"--John Sidney Linnell, master of ambiguity --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:16:25 -0800 From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: Mystery Subject At 03:05 PM 11/29/95 -0600, you wrote: > >>PLUS >>(Because I know you want another question...) >>Which John is the one that sings out of his nose?? Because he bugs me just >>a liddel bit, and I'm talking about the one that does the voiceover in "Why >>Does The Sun Shine" and sings in "dead" I think.... >>Mike > >this would be Linnell. I've heard other people express similar views of >Linnell's voice, but personally, i like it. > You can tell that he's not really that nasal. There are songs where he forgets, and sounds almost normal....TNAC, A Self-Called Nowhere (not the first part, but the chorus). Also when he sang NOKMP on House of Blues, he wasn't nearly as nasal as he was on JH. I must admit that I can tire of it...but a reprive always comes in the form of a Flansburgh tune. If that doesn't work, Freedy Johnston it is! --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "It's a thing named it in a bottomless pit, you can't see it there. The sunken head that lies in the bed of a self-called nowhere!"--John Sidney Linnell, master of ambiguity --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 21:36:46 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: German Obsessed TMBG Fans On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, iris wrote: > why are you obsessed with ducks? Well, sorry it took me so long to respond on this one... First, i'll give a general translation of the message. (Scenario: My sister Laura and I were in the comp. lab at her uni--i was home for break--and i checked my e-mail from her account. I had so many TMBG list messages, and the system was so slow I couldn't get through them all, but we decided to respond to the German obsessed fan one, considering that she is a German/Russian major, and I also take a grat interest in good ol' Deutsch...) She wrote first: "If you want to learn more about "the duck" (Duck?), you should write her, she is a (female) pope." (Her address) "May the force and TMBG be with you (all)." Then I wrote: "Excuse me, my sister is uncouth, but i love her. Yes, I also am a German enthusiast..." Then she interrupted: "What else? Dear people, the Duck will redeem you. Only the Duck has the power to redeem your poor souls." (This was a VERY loose translation!) So, anyway, the Duck is just a philosophy of hers--it's sort of a joke, but it's fun to be silly with. (i.e. the duck is the omnipresent, omniscient being, trust in the duck...) and silly things like that. I think there is also a "Duck page" she and some friends created on the net, but i'm not sure of the address...hmmm... http://stud-www/~s1185659/duck.html i couldn't get it to work--if any of you do, let me know! (if you're interested, or just write her {lrk44751@marauder.millersv.edu} for a few mind-stimulating laughs!) So, how does this pertain to TMBG?? I don't know, maybe They practice the ways of the Duck, just to add a little to the "religion" debate. Or, as i believe, there is a little of the duck in all of us--so we share a common bond with the Johns, and with each other!! Sorry this was so long! (YES I am German obsessed! FLK) And I guess the link of the duck to German is that the whole "Philosophy" :) was created in Germany... do you see, has the duck made it clear to you, Aimee? ;) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 21:06:20 -0600 From: "Pop Heiress (dies)" Subject: Re: New Year's Eve At 06:06 PM 11/29/95 -0500, you wrote: > >I found out from the Village Voice that They are doing 2 shows in NYC on >New Year's Eve. Both are at Tramp's. The first one is all ages the second is >18+. The second show is also somewhat more expensive. I can get the exact >prices if such a thing generates interest. I would recomend that anyone who can goes to the second TMBG show on new year's eve. new years 93, they did the same thing in Dallas, and i went to the first show, but didn't think i'd be able to get in to the second one. Since then, i've talked to a bunch of people who were at the later show, and they said that they played FOREVER. I think they finished somewhere around 3:30. for a show that started at 10. GO IF YOU POSSIBLY CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and have fun for me, far away from NY, missing out on tmbg for the first year since 1992. paul ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 21:44:26 -0600 From: hawallac@students.wisc.edu (Hilary Wallace) Subject: It's MY BIRTHDAY!!! Hello, everyone! Today is my birthday and as a gift to myself, I've decided not to study to catch up on my emailing. So here I am...19 years old and all... Whoopee! OK, so I'd like to know more about the concerts They are blessing us with in either Philadelphia or New York. A friend and I are planning a road trip over Christmas Break and I think it'd be absolutely swell to have a They concert to be our destination! So any info you can give me, please do! I've been somewhat-pensive about Them lately, and I've come up with a couple questions: 1) What is up with Their obsession with heads? (I haven't had a chance to read the James K. Polk thing, if that has anything to do with heads...) They refer to heads in a great number of their songs. (Few examples: "Hall of Heads", "Turn Around", "Dead", and the great "Mrs. Train"...) Does anyone think this is a consistent representation throughout their music, or does the head image fluctuate between songs? I have no idea, but for some strange reason I'm wondering... 2) Please don't despise me for bringing this satanic show into things, but does anyone watch "Days of Our Lives"? I've unfortunately been roped into the evil, but the other day while listening to "Sad" I couldn't help but parallel the song with the character Tony. He is "writing everything down in a spiral notebook in the hopes that one day..." He also used to "squint at the sun" because he was blind for a while about a year ago and the sun was probably the only stimuli that could cause him to squint. I dunno. I was just thinkin. I should stop, I know. Thanks for tolerating my long-windedness, but it's my birthday and I HAVE THAT RIGHT!!! Ha ha. Hilary "the nicknameless one" "Life is a mood ring we're not allowed to see." -TMBG ------------------------------ From: Barteaux@aol.com Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:01:32 -0500 Subject: k&w The station KRock is in fact WXRK. The name originally comes from an LA station named KROQ. Being one of the early new wave stations and becoming an alternative one known widly for introducing new bands that went on to great successes, it was bought by a NY broadcasting company. the company uses the established name for a few of there stations. as if anyone cares, bart black ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 23:21:49 -0600 (CST) From: Lokshin Michael S Subject: upcoming shows Who will be opening for Them in Philly and New York? The Web site says Frank Black, yet the ticketmaster description for Philly claims it will be someone else. Please emancipate me from these chains of confusion. Also, what do folks know about the place They are playing in New York (is it Tramp's?). Although I used to live in Brooklyn on New Kirk avenue (I was seven at the time), I really don't know didley about the city. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:24:50 -0500 (EST) From: "Patrick K. Byrne" Subject: heeva hava i've been on this service for over a month now and i haven't received a single message i want to feel popular when i check my email write and tell me about any old thing i'm a nice boy, really ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 0:36:06 -0500 (EST) From: BECK Subject: RE: upcoming shows Tramp's is a cool small club on 23rd street off 6h avenue. They have a bar and a close stage. If you want to get tickets, buy them right away for it is a smaller venue than the more prominent NYC clubs. It is a good place to see a show (I saw Soul Coughing). F Black is NOT opening, it's some M band I've never heard of. Beck ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 00:49:10 -0600 (CST) From: Lokshin Michael S Subject: RE: upcoming shows How can I get tickets to the show at Tramp's? Through ticketmaster? If you have some phone number handy for it, I'd love to have it... I hate to bring up the "club safety" discussion again, but is Tramp's in a relatively safe locale? I am but a humble 5'6" psych major from university of Illinois who has the strength of a ten year old boy with polio (I mangle a Woody Allen joke for "Shadows and Fog" here). Happy true dreams of Wichita Mike ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: New Year's Eve Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 02:23:46 -0500 (EST) > > I found out from the Village Voice that They are doing 2 shows in NYC on > New Year's Eve. Both are at Tramp's. The first one is all ages the second is > 18+. The second show is also somewhat more expensive. I can get the exact > prices if such a thing generates interest. Actually, I believe the second one is 21+ since all ages uslaly really means 18+. I would have gone to these shows but New York City on New Years Eve? It'd be totally hell! Actually it would be really awesome but a drive from Baltimore on up and back in the wee hour of the morning avoiding all of the drunks would be REALLY bad. -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box | Erasure| Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order | Rush | Blur | Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: OKAY HERE IT IS!! (was Re: IRC) Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 02:32:34 -0500 (EST) > > Okay, I've tried to follow all of your IRC instructions, but can't even > get past the first step. Does it involve actually downloading a program? > What would i do with said program, if I could even get to it somehow? > Then, though I have yet to reach this stage, HOW would I go about finding > out if the "provider" has a "server". I just confused. help...? > FLK > Ok, If you are unix inclined (or actually you don't really have to be for this) you could just type telnet irc.eskimo.com (for example) at your unix prompt, if indeed you are dialing into a unix box. Or else you could download mIRC from http://www.primenet.com/~rodeo/mirc.html and be ready to go through Windows. If you're on a Macintosh you could go to http://www.iquest.com/mac-ppp.html and get Ircle or Homer (IRC clients). Once you download/unzip those files and run them you'll have the opportunity to pick what server you want to connect to (i.e. irc.eskimo.com, or whatever server you wish). --Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box | Erasure| Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order | Rush | Blur | Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: one last message before bed Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 02:55:51 -0500 (EST) Ya know, with all of these messages about the Philly and NY shows I was wondering who all were going to these (more specifically Philly since that's the one I'm going to). We should have a TMBG Philly fest or something, so we can recognize each other in person. Just a thought. --Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box | Erasure| Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order | Rush | Blur | Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-81 *****************************