Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-85 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 85 Monday, 4 December 1995 Today's Topics: it must come to an end. Re: Pixies and it's(their)offspringen it must come to an end. Re: Breeders/Black/Pixies Breeders bashing comment... TMBG info club TMBG info club Re: I've got this friend... morrissey? Re: Urm...Hello Y'all...(y'all-whhaddaafu...?) Re: info club, nonesnse and Martinis. Re: morrissey? Breeders bashing comment... Unofficial site Morrissey The Guitar on The Guitar whine, whine, grizzle, moan, bitch both shows guitar on the guitar Re: i found it! morrissey? Re: TMBG info club Re: Breeders/Black/Pixies Re: morrissey? Re: morrissey? The Breeders Well, I _LIKE_ the Breeders Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 02:15:00 -0600 From: Lazarus Long Subject: it must come to an end. there has been a disease spreading through out the list. it's very dangerous, and many people have all ready been swept up by it. don't be caught up, it's not good for your health. THE BREEDERS BASHING MUST STOP. the breeders are a good thing. they are among my very favorite bands. pay no mind to the fact that they are not doing so well right now (as in kelley's problems with heroin and the law). their music is great. pod, their first album is very pixiesesque. a lot of songs off singles of theirs are too. for that matter, so is the Amps, kim deals solo album. realize the errors of your ways. the breeders are good. good. good. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: Pixies and it's(their)offspringen Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 03:23:08 -0500 (EST) > > >I don't understand, how could you like the Pixies and not like the Breeders, > >they're of the same blood, I firmly believe that the sound of the Breeders > >and the Franky combine to equal the Pixies... > > Paradoxically speaking, of course, I must say that I like Franky, am > ambivalent to the Pixies, and really can't stand the damned breeders...you > ask how can you like one without the other? #1 Frank is my favorite part of > the group > #2 Kim's voice just plain irritates me. > #3 The Breeders can neither compose good music or write decent lyrics, two > elements I find very important...(compare the cranberries, with good music > to the pretenders, with good lyrics, and similar styles, and you find that > both lack something.) > So that is how I like the pixies and not the Breeders... > Plus, I have to point out that I don't love frank's stuff, I think that > it's funny, and I appreciate some songs, but not everything. Well, the TMBG tix came in the mail today, that's happy. Has anyone ever heard Rhythm Section Wand Ad live? I've been waiting for that at one of the shows, but it seems like I'll be waiting forever before they play that beautiful song 8-( On the topic of Pixies/Breeders/Frank Black, I agree with Rabid up to the point where he just kinda likes Frank because of his humor. I think he is one of the best musical artists/writers out there. There are some funny songs but I think just about evbery song he has put out has had a touch of brilliance. Well maybe except for Headache, that song can get annoying and give you a headache. It was unfortunate when I looked at the TMBGs tickets today and my fears were confirmed, the Martinis are opening and not Frank. I have heard that the Martinis are made of ex-Breeders, is this correct? --Matt PS9: Has anyone heard that Supergrass album? I listened to it at the store and I sorted liked it but the verdict was still out. -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order|Elastica|Blur|Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: it must come to an end. Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 03:36:40 -0500 (EST) > THE BREEDERS BASHING MUST STOP. > I tend to agree, not because I like them as you have seen before but because we don't want another fiasco like before where people were posting about anything and everything under the sun and Leo almost had to do massive moderation of the list which would hurt all of us. Most people will have an opinion one way or another and some won't care. People will either get fired up or bored because of no TMBG content, after all it is the TMBG list. I mean, I like the Smiths and I really like Morrissey and I know about a million people who will go ahead and bash me just for that (Morrissey doesn't seem to be a very likeable guy), and if everyone bashed me for that that'd really suck for all. Same with the Breeders. Ok, I think I'm done. Oh yeah, i wanted to ask, is anyone familiar with a 1995 TMBG Video Compilation? I saw John Relph's TMBG discography and he had that listed in there. I wasn't aware of this if it exists. Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order|Elastica|Blur|Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 09:37:04 -0600 (CST) From: Jennifer Elaine Klauke Subject: Re: Breeders/Black/Pixies Ok, I'm going to have to stick my neck out and agree with Mr.John V. I *LIKE* the Breeders. When I went to Lollapalooza a couple of years ago, they were one of the best bands there. They were polite (Unlike the Smashing Pumpkins people who threatened to stop playing if we didn't stop throwing shoes at them.) Ok, well, I guess politeness may not count for much. And I'll admit that they are very different from the Pixies. But it's one of those acquired taste type things. They're not bad, just different. From the Pixies, I mean. They're a lot like some other people. I'm just not sure who. Umm..forget it. -Jenny, who thinks that maybe she should be fully awake next time she writes. ------------------------------ From: MrJohnV@aol.com Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 11:12:58 -0500 Subject: Breeders bashing comment... I'll be happy if the bashing stops...but in my best attempt not to sound immature...you started it, matt, I mean come on, is this your conscience speaking? I want to thank rabidchild.paulswan for coming to their defense as well, I just don't see it, how can a Giants fan look past the talents of another group, especially such a closely related one to a group they do like...forget the whole thing I hope your right matt, I hope the Martinis are "ex-Breeders" not for the knowledge of a Breeders breakup, but so you'll realize that they can't be bad, if they're playing with the Giants, I know that openers mean nothing (Pixies opened for U2!) but the Giants wouldn't have a band they hate open for them... why am I anonymous? I don't quite understand... _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_- _-_ "Celibacy is not Hereditary" ][ Mr John V aka Stinky "Bobby, you get to drink from the firehose!" -from UHF ------------------------------ From: Moogleboy@aol.com Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 13:18:04 -0500 Subject: TMBG info club I called the info club number and joined about a month ago. Anyone know how long it will take to recieve some sort of mail? ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Sun, 03 Dec 1995 14:03:25 EST Subject: TMBG info club I'm on the info club and the mailings don't come very often. But don't worry, they're worth the wait! They're usually big newspaper type things with articles and info and mail order tshirts and cds and stuff. It's pretty excellent. They only come a few times a year though. I've been on the list for about a year now and I've only received 3 or 4 newsletters I think. -Tara ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 14:29:31 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: I've got this friend... >oh, and to add to some form of relevance, can someone tell me where the >name comes from for the >-Rabid Child >(OTHER than the song, you idiot...) You might wish to look at the interp archive. (http://www.tmbg.org/) Here's your answer, though-- ---- Quotation from the TMBG Early Years Handbook, maintained by Myke Weiskopf. 19.b) Is there a real Rabid Child? Rabid Child is not known to be based on any specific person, but a famous country tune, "Teddy Bear" (once by Red Sovine), tells a similar story of a disabled CB operator. ---- +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 95 14:26 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: morrissey? morrissey? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 12:36:33 +0200 From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Subject: Re: Urm...Hello Y'all...(y'all-whhaddaafu...?) Hey you guuuuys!(Non-gender specific term...) > I am feeling really good. No >really really good. I got some wonderfuly news..about a christmas gift, >but just to make sure...I won't brag till it gets here. That is NOT fair, you can't just say something that suspenseful and drop it... >Hello Beth... While we're saying hellols, Hi Soph,Hi aimee, Hi Paulswan aka The Other rabidchild, aka a whole bunch of other stuff...okay, I think I made my point... > I don't undderstand the abbrvs JL SNGS A sCN...therefore I will call it >art... Lohn Linnel sings(I assume that you got that part) A. S.elf C.alled N.owhere and it is art. >I do belive I hafta agree with the if Now that I do not get... -Rabid Child * * * * * * * * * * _Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com_ No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 12:37:03 +0200 From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Subject: Re: info club, nonesnse and Martinis. >I called the info club number and joined about a month ago. Anyone know how >long it will take to recieve some sort of mail? It took about four years before I got my first info club letter, and I'm two years into waiting for the next one. 8o) The Martinis are not former members of the Breeders, but they are former members of the Pixies...Dave and Jim, and I think Jim's wife!?...I hear that they are fairly mediocre, but that they put on a fun live show, from someone in the know...(I love the mistique factor of that) Anywat, there is a special chat tonight on #tmbg, for no reason that I have figured out, I think we're just bored... and finally: Resolved: That allBreeders Bashing Should be discontinued. All in favor: I All against: The I's have it, since no one but I responded in time. Hence forth, the enactment of this resolution be that all Breeders bashing be discontinued. The enforcement will be that all violators of this resolution be sent various hundreds of mails to their private box. This meeting of the Stupid People's Congress is now adjourned. hmmm... I'm gone now. -Rabid Child * * * * * * * * * * _Send vibes to mdukelan@wyoming.com_ No other Rabid Child is quite like this...RaAAAH! Rabid Child! Always faithful, Always helpful, Always salivating... * * * * * * * * * * * ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 12:41:27 +0200 From: mdukelan@wyoming.com (Rabid Child) Subject: Re: morrissey? >morrissey? no, They Might Be Giants. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Breeders bashing comment... Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 14:42:11 -0500 (EST) > > I'll be happy if the bashing stops...but in my best attempt not to sound > immature...you started it, matt, I mean come on, is this your conscience > speaking? I guess that's true, and I probably shouldn't have said it but sometimes my HOs come out when they probably shouldn't. I just remembered after I said it and these messages came back to me that Iprobably shouldn't have said it due to prior instances on the list. > > I want to thank rabidchild.paulswan for coming to their defense as well, I > just don't see it, how can a Giants fan look past the talents of another > group, especially such a closely related one to a group they do like...forget > the whole thing Well, Frank Black is closely related, I'm not sure how closely related the Breeders are to the Giants. > > I hope your right matt, I hope the Martinis are "ex-Breeders" not for the > knowledge of a Breeders breakup, but so you'll realize that they can't be > bad, if they're playing with the Giants, I know that openers mean nothing > (Pixies opened for U2!) but the Giants wouldn't have a band they hate open > for them... Well, that's not necessarily true all of the time. Many bands get their openers because the record label picks who is going to play with them, sometimes by no choice of the band. By the way, somebody told me that a Martinis' band member was Tonya Donnelly and that she was an ex-Breeder. Is this true?!? I do like Tonya. Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order|Elastica|Blur|Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 14:55:09 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Unofficial site I've added a "Coming Soon" page to the unofficial site (http://www.tmbg.org/) listing some possibilities for things to store at the site. Please visit and tell me which things would be nice to see at the web site. --Jon +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 95 14:55 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: Morrissey Actually i said morrissey for no reason what-so-ever. and i'll say it again. Mo rrissey ( well, actually i didn't technically "say" it. ------------------------------ From: joe.kopera@cynosure.com (Joe Kopera) Subject: The Guitar on The Guitar Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 20:04:00 GMT Organization: Cynosure Online - 410-781-6271 YES!! Ahaha! I can finally play The Guitar on my guitar!!! Muahaha! But Umm, (this is for all you guitar-geniuses), the E at the 7th fret doesn't sound right...Here's how I'm doing it...Am I doing it right? 7th 8th 9th --0---|-------|---X---| --0---|-------|---X---| --0---|-------|---0---| 0 = Got my finger on it and it makes noise --0---|-------|---0---| X = Muted --0---|-------|---0---| --0---|-------|-------| Pretty picture.. Anyway....If I'm not doing it right...How do you do an E at the 7th fret? BTW> While I'm at it, how do you you barre C and G? This is so I can play Racist Friend. (I'm assuming they're at the 4th, 5th, or 7th frets) Thanks. ... Joe.Kopera@cynosure.com - Why Be Normal? ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 12:43:45 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: whine, whine, grizzle, moan, bitch >> Not fair! Not bloody fair! I really hate living 'across the pond' when all... >> well most.. of you are going on about which show to go to. Spare a >>thought for >> those of us who have NO CHANCE of seeing Them at New Year, and have to >>make do >> with boots or Live In NY. Well spare a thought for those of us in different hemispheres!! ...but then again, by the time you get new years in New York, it'll be only a few hours away from the second of January here. Now who lives in the backwards society? not me...matey! *************************************************** Life is like licking honey off a thorn +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ Michael Carr (email: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz) University Of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand --Home Of The McStoat Burger *************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 95 19:14 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: both shows i'm going to both shows. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 95 19:23 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: guitar on the guitar here's how i play the guitar: E----------------0--0--0----7--X--7---0--0--0-------------------------- B----9--X--9-----9--9--9----7--X--7---9--9--9-------------------------- G----8--X--8-----9--9--9----7--X--7---9--9--9-------------------------- D---10--X-10-----9--9--9--------------9--9--9-------------------------- A---------------------------------------------------------------------- E---------------------------------------------------------------------- A E D E well, you can't really get the rythym from this, but there's the chords i use and they sound fine. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 Dec 1995 19:41:29 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: i found it! Yes, about that German message, you all know exactly what it says now--shall i write more for your translation pleasure? (I did describe that whole thing already, right??) FLK ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 Dec 1995 18:57:30 -0600 (CST) From: Fenchurch Subject: morrissey? THE SMITHS!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 03 Dec 1995 22:29:48 -0500 From: Pookie Subject: Re: TMBG info club Moogleboy@aol.com wrote: > > I called the info club number and joined about a month ago. Anyone know how > long it will take to recieve some sort of mail? What is the TMBG Info club number??? Pookie ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 23:23:21 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Breeders/Black/Pixies > *LIKE* the Breeders. When I went to Lollapalooza a couple of years ago, A point that everyone here can use for a reason to hate the Breeders. They played at Lollapalooser, TMBG didn't. `Nuff said. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 23:26:30 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: morrissey? On Sun, 3 Dec 1995, Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo wrote: > morrissey? > Yes? lebo or morrissey... that's why I visit a shrink each week. ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: morrissey? Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 00:46:01 -0500 (EST) > > morrissey? > > > Yes? > > > > > > > lebo > or morrissey... > that's why I visit a shrink each week. > If you were Morrissey you'd have to visit a shrink everyday! ;) Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order|Elastica|Blur|Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 01:25:18 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: The Breeders So call me uncivilized, but am I the ONLY PERSON ON THE WHOLE LIST who has never even HEARD OF, much less formed an opinion on the Breeders? Yes, it's great that we have other things going through our minds (and have expanded our record collections), but I feel left out. :( If this keeps up for too long, I'm going to write all about Weird Al, my brother's works for tuba, and any country song that pops into my head! ;) (just kidding) But seriously, where can I hear this famous group, and can I get an unbiased opinion on their music? Love and happy stuff, 'Nette #*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#* *"More coffee for me, boss, 'cause I'm not as messed up # # as I'd like to be....." TMBG "Hearing Aid" _ * * ( ) # #Jeanette Frost, aka "Frosty the Supervisor" < o > * *Trenton State College (_) # #Trenton, NJ | * *frost@trenton.edu \|/ # #*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#* ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 23:30:35 -0800 (PST) From: Trompe Le Monde Subject: Well, I _LIKE_ the Breeders I'm a Pixies fan, and I like the Breeders stuff (most of it), especially the first album _Pod_. Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that if you've contacted me about setting up some sort of trade for the "Power of Dial-A-Song" tape, and I haven't responded yet, don't despair. I'm not ignoring you, I'm merely letting all the requests stack up until I have a chance to get around to them. It's also Finals Week here, so it's tough for me to deal with the email thing on a regular basis, let alone run my dear friend's tape deck into the ground. But I'm not ignoring you... I will make an effort to contact everyone who wrote me within this next week. Kerry +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + "If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments" -TMBG + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ + // kbiggs@gladstone.uoregon.edu / murmur@teleport.com / kbiggs@efn.org // + +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-85 *****************************