Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-86 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 86 Tuesday, 5 December 1995 Today's Topics: Re: The Breeders Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-85 weird al Set List Re: The Breeders pod Racist Friend on the Bass Re: weird al tabs for tmbg songs weird al and tmbg Re: TMBG info club da music Weird Al and Lollapalooza and Soul Coughing Re: Racist Friend on the Bass frank black and the breeders. Question Re: Racist Friend on the Bass desperatly seeking susan TMBG Christmas Songs on Dr. Demento I have seen hell and it is full of morrisey.... cowtown Re: weird al The Power of DAS I HATE Pixies/Breeders/Frank Black/AMPs I'm new WOW Garbage and sig Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 10:20:01 -0500 (EST) From: David Vogelgesang <924304@xavier.xu.edu> Subject: Re: The Breeders I think they only made one album, "Last Splash", then broke up. Correct me if I'm wrong here. Then the lead singer joined with some other band and made a song named "Seether" or something. I don't know. It's too early in the morning for me. Ziggy ------------------------------ From: "Frankenberry" Organization: John Brown University Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 11:03:50 GMT-5 Subject: Re: tmbg-list Digest #1-85 I awoke from a dream, and I had this stuck in my head: > THE BREEDERS BASHING MUST STOP. OH MY GOSH!! THE BREEDERS ARE ALL A BUNCH OF LEFTOVER SHAKE AND BAKE WHO NEVER GOT PUT IN THE REFRIDGERATOR! I THINK THEY EAT GOAT EYES WITH VANILLA SHAKES! I ONCE SAW THEIR PICTURE IN A McDONALDS!! and this was there also: > morrissey? Why, yes, it is. Frank ___________________________________________________________________ | "People of Sarajevo,| "The truth is... YOU'RE the weak, and I | | count your bless- | am the tyranny of evil men. But I'm | | ings. There are so | tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to | | many in the world | be the shepherd." | | who have food, heat,|-------------------------------------------- | and security, but | "Taste is the enemy of art." | | they're not on t.v. |-------------------------------------------- | like you are." | "I don't make robot trash, I burn it, and | | -Mr. Macphisto | when I look at you, I throw up!" -Crow | ___________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 12:08 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: weird al i think that weird al's non satire songs like "i'll be mellow when i'm dead" an d "this is the life" to name a very few are similar to tmbg and worthy of a lis ten by any tmbg fans. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 11:13:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Keith Hyman Subject: Set List Organization: Meharry Medical College I went to hear Them after falling inlove with Flood, especially Birdhouse. The show was at 328 Performance Hall in Nashville. The venue is basically a large concrete shoebox with theatre curtains hung on the wall to soften the echo a bit; and the ventilation is poor. I went right up front as far as I could without hurting myself or anyone because I like it loud. J&J came out looking distractedly about then began playing and singing and soon the whole band was on stage; they began to rock. Then Linnel (he's the keyboardist/barisax player, right?) announced the next song by inciting the crowd to do the congo or whatever it's called. He suggested that all the people in the back of the room displace all those in the front (this is a standing venue. If you wanna sit, you can at table off on the sides, but then you can neither see or hear (loudly) whomever's on stage). And the moment the band started, it happened! Actually, it was fun though a little frightening to find myself lifted vertically and carried along with the current of a sea of people rushing forward, pressing me and others further forward and then repelling us to the back of the room, where finally I found my feet on the floor again. Whew! Well, I wandered further back and found that the sound quality improved. Naturally--I found myself standing right in front of the sound mixer. And do you know: there was the set list, right on the mixing board! So I had fun the rest of the night calling out the next song, you know, like, requesting it. And sure enough, They played every song I asked for right then and there! ;) ================================================================================ Keith Hyman |"Seems that when some innocent die, Nashville TN USA | All we can offer them is a page in some magazine. hymankk70@ccvax.mmc.edu| Too many cameras and not enough food | 'Cause this is what we've seen."--The Police ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 11:20:40 -0600 (CST) From: Lokshin Michael S Subject: Re: The Breeders On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, David Vogelgesang wrote: > I think they only made one album, "Last Splash", then broke up. Correct me if > I'm wrong here. Then the lead singer joined with some other band and made a > song named "Seether" or something. I don't know. It's too early in the > morning for me. > > > Sorry, Zig. You are wrong. They made an untitled debut album which I think is most excellent and much better than LAST SPLASH (perhaps ignorance of this superb first effort is the reason for some of the insidious Breeders-trashing we've seen). "Seether" is a song (with a video full of cats) by the Chicago fem band Veruca Salt. I don't think there's any Breeders in it, but I, in turn, might be mistaken as well. --Mike "flips an ash like a wild loose comma" Lokshin ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 12:56 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: pod don't forget pod ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 12:25:55 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: Racist Friend on the Bass Since we've gotten on the subjectof tabs doe's anyone the bassline for your racist friend or any TMBG songs for that matter? Joe ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 13:46:11 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: weird al Yes!!!! One of the best non-satires, on the Alapaloosa album, is "Frank's 2000" TV". I love it!! I have practically every Al tape (My pre-TMBG obsession - I only obsess over one performer at a time), except for the compilations, and I think that it's all great. Similarities with Al and the Johns: That groovie accordian Polkas Excellent sense of humor in both cases In my opinion, they should do a show together, but then again, I daydream a lot...... Luv ya all, 'Nette [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] "Good morning, campers!!" - Keith Moon in Tommy *--------------------------------------------------------- Question of the week: When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? *--------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 14:31 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: tabs for tmbg songs i don't have bass tabs, but i do know most of their songs for guitar, which wou ld be a good starting point for bass. plus, there are archives somewhere. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 14:34 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: weird al and tmbg if weird al and tmbg ever did a show together my life would be complete and the n i could die. just kidding. but wouldn't it be cool if they did, and tmbg play ed all al songs and vice versa. like they did wiht frank black. they could call it "They Might BE Al" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 15:03:55 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: TMBG info club >What is the TMBG Info club number??? From the latest info club newsletter: Info club is FREE Be sure you keep up to date with everything Giant! You can sign up a friend by calling 914-359-0867, or write to us at Dept. PPFNP, Box 110535, Williamsburgh Station, Brooklyn, NY 11211-0003 It's the same number as the order phone line for TMBG merchandise. --Jon +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 12:46:09 -0800 (PST) From: Liam Singer Subject: da music well, I am also looking for TMBG sheet music, except I don't play the guitar, I play the accordian. (not very well, though) So I'm looking for any TMBG accordian sheet music available, if any even exists. Thanx Liam ------------------------------ From: MrJohnV@aol.com Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 16:09:24 -0500 Subject: Weird Al and Lollapalooza and Soul Coughing I'm so glad to see that there were other Al fans, were you all as obsessed with him as I was? (see "That nifty Apollo XVIII cover" sent to the list by me a while ago, and If you don't have it anymore I'll be glad to send you the whole slightly comical episode again) I think if Al and the Giants did a show together, the entire world would turn into a huge happy face that could be seen for light-years. About the Giants not being at Lollapalooza and the Breeders being there...are you bashing lollapalooza or just jealous of the bands that were there, are you saying they deserved to be there or that the breeders are dumb 'cause they were there, I don't think I follow you, I don't think you're bashing lolla, I surely hope not, I think lolla hasa been a great source of variety of music for the last few years and I truly enjoy it, though I wish they hadn't moved it from it's site on an airport runway to some dumb old stadium, the runway was so much more fun... I just went out and got the Soul Coughing album, and I love it, it makes me go "wow" and I like that! - Stinky Mr John V who doesn't feel like putting the quotes down today... ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 16:13:08 -0500 Subject: Re: Racist Friend on the Bass From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) On Dec 04, 1995 12:25:55, 'The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye ' wrote: >Since we've gotten on the subjectof tabs doe's anyone the bassline for >your racist friend or any TMBG songs for that matter? > > Joe > >. try looking at the midi files on a good player.. -- Rabbit Ears ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 16:29:06 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: frank black and the breeders. i said it before and i'll say it again. frank black opened for TMBG one of the times i've seen THEY and i don't think he was good at all. in fact, i was kinda making fun of him at the concert. i also like the breeders just for their song "cannonball" not for it's lyrics or for the complexity and talent of the music, but because it's fun, silly, and you can jump up and down to it. (just like you can jump up and down to a lot of TMBG's music) may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 16:37:08 -0500 (EST) From: The Sage One Subject: Question I lost my letter that had the listserv address for this list to send commands to!!! It sucks. I need some archive files but I can't find the command address. Can someone remind dumb old me what it is. Please! "She was a hotel detective, but now she's gotten promoted. I didn't think it was the money, she didn't care about expensive things." *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Sun will shine no matter what I do. Sun shines bright now with you. Touch my heart touch me through." Chris MacLeod cmacleod@cs1.presby.edu "Stick" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 17:02:35 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: Racist Friend on the Bass On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Rabbit Ears wrote: > On Dec 04, 1995 12:25:55, 'The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye > ' wrote: > > > >Since we've gotten on the subjectof tabs doe's anyone the bassline for > >your racist friend or any TMBG songs for that matter? > > > > Joe > > > >. > > try looking at the midi files on a good player.. > -- > Rabbit Ears > Also, if you have the music-writing program Encore (V 3.01 or 4.01), it will print out the music in staff form, which can be made into tab if you need it. By the way, if anyone doesn't have these programs and needs the sheet music (minus lyrics - I refuse to do that much typing) send me your address and the song that you need, and I'll do the printing for ya. I can only do this with the songs that are written as midis, so don't go asking for stuff I can't get! Also, if you have copies of midis (that aren't currently on the 'Net), send them to me!! Luv, 'Nette [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] "Good morning, campers!!" - Keith Moon in Tommy *--------------------------------------------------------- Question of the week: When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? *--------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 18:07:36 -0500 (EST) From: Lady J Subject: desperatly seeking susan i tried to send this message yesterday from my roomate's computer, after she distinctly told me not to use her account for, and i quote, "that silly they might be giants stuff". see, my account had been disabled (the pc term for when one of your friends decides to try to figure out your password 64 times), and i was using her computer. but hold on, i have a point. i went to a cookie party on saturday, and this girl i met used to go to school in canada, and she said that every night, exactly at 10:00, this guy in her dorm would put his stereo speakers in his windows and play, "Shoehorn with Teeth" for the whole world to hear. what a nice guy. if you are this canadian fellow, fess up. please? I HAVE MY OWN ACCOUNT BACK, AND I'LL NEVER TAKE IT FOR GRANTED AGAIN! PRAISE GOD, aimee. ~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ "There goes everyone into the world but I, and I am sunburnt." -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 16:06:01 MST Subject: TMBG Christmas Songs on Dr. Demento Hey all, Dr. Demento played "Santa's Beard" on his show last night (December 3, 1995) Yay, TMBG, Christmas, and Dr. Demento! ============================================================================= Russ Josephson RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 12:57:28 -0200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: I have seen hell and it is full of morrisey.... > >morrissey? Dear god please no. ***************************************************** "Treat everyone the same till you find out they're an idiot" (Lucy Lawless) +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ Michael Carr (email: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz) University Of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand --Home of the world's only ferret shrine **************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: 04 Dec 1995 16:11:48 -0800 From: "GOODPASTURE Ryan" Subject: cowtown i suppose this has probably been discussed before but does anyone know where be cowtown? is it fort worth, texas? that's what they call themselves down there, i hear. what about the rest of the song... "the ardor of arboreality is an adventure we have spurned" .. a reference to the evolutionary evidence that we descended from apes/mnkeys/chimps/orangutans and no longer swing in trees? that's the only line i can even guess at a meaning for. has there been any word from the john's on this one? it's so confusing.. not that i should be surprised. perhaps these well nigh indecipherable metaphors should be left to the realm of ? ryang ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com (John Iacoletti) Subject: Re: weird al Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 18:02:25 -0600 (CST) Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo writes: > i think that weird al's non satire songs like "i'll be mellow when i'm dead" > and "this is the life" to name a very few are similar to tmbg and worthy of > a listen by any tmbg fans. Indeed, it was His Al-ness who introduced me to John & John in 1987, when he played the "Puppet Head" video on AL-TV. My life hasn't been the same since... -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "On Earth Day I was gonna plant some trees, but I planted my ass on the couch" -- Rugburns ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 21:28:48 +0500 From: Patrick Savage Subject: The Power of DAS If anyone else wants the Power of DAS tape or another one just like it called "Free When You Call From Work", OR any of other stuff I have just drop me a note. We can trade or something. Pat --- psavage@vt.edu ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 23:04:58 -0500 From: ae333@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Robin L. Connell) Subject: I HATE Pixies/Breeders/Frank Black/AMPs Good Now that I have your attention....:) Hello, For all of you fuming peopleno I don't really hate them, well I do really dislike the breeders, I am just curiously indiferent to them... Morrissey? I didn't know Morrissey played with TMBG? hehheh Just kidding kids.. Rabid Child....So I cut off my post....whoops I'll just call it art. Hello Beth, mein sibling.... Okay, Okay I realise it is intensely cruel to offer suspense and then just drop it like that, so I have decided to tell you all what I am hopefully getting for christmas (assuming the good ol' post office dosen't do something to it...) My absolute best friend (my god this girl is a centimeter away from bieng family) has a cousin who was born and raised in Macclesfield, a Manchester suburb. She is currently living in Masschusets, but when she lived in england she had the fortune to know Ian Curtis (yes, yes the Ian we're all thinking of), and not just know him...be really good friends with him. My friend Sarah has managed to get her to send a t-shirt that he autographed! I get giddy just thinking about this, really, I guess they were hanging out and joking around with Ian about autographs, so he just signed this t-shirt and said to the girl here take it...She has many other Ian souveniers so she was willing to send it for me. This of course isn't the only reason why Sarah is my best friend...she was that long before this even came up, but when (good willing, let's keep our fingers crossed) the shirt gets here, damnit I'm adopting Sarah. Now let's hope it gets here, I get paranoid that when I tell people one thing the exact opposite will happen.... I'm sorry this wasn't a very-TMBG-ish post, but hey these things sometimes happen....... Uh Oh, The Mads are calling.... Well what do you think, Sirs? Robin "Waffle" -John Lydon -- --Robin Connell...College Radio Dj Supreme.....WBNY 91.3fm.....-- ---------------"Buffalo's Original Alternative."----------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Dec 1995 00:59:36 EST From: YCTP14A@prodigy.com (MR JOSHUA L DEROME) Subject: I'm new Ok, here's the jist on myself.... I've been a fairly well fan of TMBG for approx 5 years, but this is not for me... I'm really here, to keep my TMBG crazed girlfriend informed of good TMBG news and the like... Also, hate to just jump in unannounced, but if anyone has a big giant collection of ultra-rarities that they could dub for me, I think that that would be the best present I could give her... I could reimburse you fully and more... Well, thanks and all of that... later, Bill DeRome ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: WOW Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 01:49:47 -0500 (EST) > Okay, Okay I realise it is intensely cruel to offer suspense and then just > drop it like that, so I have decided to tell you all what I am hopefully > getting for christmas (assuming the good ol' post office dosen't do something to it...) My absolute best friend (my god this girl is a centimeter away from > bieng family) has a cousin who was born and raised in Macclesfield, a > Manchester suburb. She is currently living in Masschusets, but when she lived > in england she had the fortune to know Ian Curtis (yes, yes the Ian we're all > thinking of), and not just know him...be really good friends with him. My > friend Sarah has managed to get her to send a t-shirt that he autographed! > I get giddy just thinking about this, really, I guess they were hanging out > and joking around with Ian about autographs, so he just signed this t-shirt > and said to the girl here take it...She has many other Ian souveniers so > she was willing to send it for me. This of course isn't the only reason why > Sarah is my best friend...she was that long before this even came up, but > when (good willing, let's keep our fingers crossed) the shirt gets here, > damnit I'm adopting Sarah. Oh my God, all I can saw is WOWOWOW! She knew freakin Ian Curtis? *bows low* we're not worthy 8-) Can I adopt this girl too? She's from Manchester eh? She has so much to answer for. Can I get Ian Curtis suveniers please? Thank you. I think I'll go up to Massachusetts maybe. Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order|Elastica|Blur|Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (joseph drago) Subject: Garbage and sig Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 23:12:02 -0800 (PST) Hey all, I was just wondering if anyone heard if "garbage: was good or not. I heard a little of it and it sound pretty nifty. Whatever. (JD) ps. Look down! I have a sig! I feel so special. Thanx for all of your help. *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago **CHECK THE NEW SIG OUT!!!** "I could never sleep my way to the top, 'Cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up..." --Guess who *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-86 *****************************