Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-87 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 87 Wednesday, 6 December 1995 Today's Topics: Re: cowtown Re: Question replacements Re: replacements TMBG, Joy Division, Moz....etc... Finally Re: Racist Friend on the Bass Re: YOur new Religion Misc T Re: Misc T Youth Culture Killed My Dog One More Parade Re: replacements Re: TMBG, Joy Division, Moz....etc... Dr. Spocks Re: Racist Friend on the Bass TMBG, Joy Division, Moz....etc... one more parade Re: One More Parade Re: favorite TMBG song Re: Misc T FW: One More Parade llollahpahlloozah. Cowtown(s) Re: Weird Al and Lollapalooza and Soul Coughing Re: Racist Friend on the Bass NO TMBG Content. None. Really. I mean it. Re: Misc T no subject (file transmission) TMBG and Saturday Morning Re: cowtown everyone read this Lollapalooza bashing Re: One More Parade no one knows my plan Re: everyone read this Re: Misc T Re: NO TMBG Content. None. Really. I mean it. Re: everyone read this Re: NO TMBG Content. None. Really. I mean it. Re: Cowtown(s) racist! Re: TMBG and Saturday Morning saturday mornings Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org --------------------------------------------------------------------- We are using a new digester, please report errors immediately! --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 06:28:14 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: cowtown >i suppose this has probably been discussed before but does anyone know where >be cowtown? is it fort worth, texas? that's what they call themselves down >there, i hear. what about the rest of the song... "the ardor of arboreality >is an adventure we have spurned" .. a reference to the evolutionary evidence >that we descended from apes/mnkeys/chimps/orangutans and no longer swing in >trees? that's the only line i can even guess at a meaning for. has there >been any word from the john's on this one? it's so confusing.. not that i >should be surprised. perhaps these well nigh indecipherable metaphors >should be left to the realm of ? http://www.tmbg.org/interp/lincoln/c.html +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 06:28:10 -0600 From: jchaffer@tmbg.org (Jonathan Chaffer) Subject: Re: Question >I lost my letter that had the listserv address for this list to send >commands to!!! It sucks. I need some archive files but I can't find the >command address. Can someone remind dumb old me what it is. Please! majordomo@tmbg.org for more info, send mail to: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org or tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org Thank you for your mind. +------------------------------+-------------+----------------------+ | jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu | JC(A+R) | jchaffer@tmbg.org | +------------------------------+----------+--+----------------------+ | http://www.tmbg.org/personal/jchaffer/ | sucks. | +-----------------------------------------+-------------------------+ ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 11:56:10 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: replacements Dear All, Okay, We're the Replacements is about a band called The Replacements, but who are they, what are they like? Are they really goofy or something? Also, what is a Rythm Section want ad? Actually, I know that, rather, what is it's significance - is it something that people sneer at? Just wondering, Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 10:04:01 -0500 From: Dale Caldwell Subject: Re: replacements At 11:56 AM 12/5/95 +0000, you wrote: > > Okay, We're the Replacements is about a band called The >Replacements, but who are they, what are they like? Are they really goofy >or something? Mark, Whoa, who are the Replacements? They were a great, rocking band from Minneapolis (?) or there abouts. I remember them as partying hard on stage and not always being at their best. I think I remember one member even hurled after drinking a bit much. I have several of their albums and wish they had stuck together. I don't think I'd call them goofy or much like TMBG. IMHO, Sort of punk attitudes, mixed with rock and decent lyrics. dale ================================================================== badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges! dale@gardeners.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 11:15:32 -0500 From: ae333@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Robin L. Connell) Subject: TMBG, Joy Division, Moz....etc... Hello all, Matt...hey if she ever wants to send any extra souveniers of Ian I'll see if I can get you one...She has pictures with him, albums, etc... I'm going to stop drooling now...:) I feel the need to start a TMBG thread, I have a feeling it has been done before...but If all the threads keep having to do with the Breeders, I'm going to go insane!!! Oh wait I'm already threre, nevermind.... Anyhow I want to hear from you faithful TMBG listeners, what is your favorite TMBG song! I'm sure thuis has been touched upon before, but hey let's just flog a dead hjorse (horse....whoops) and talk about it again. It's better than the breeders thread, trust me. My favorite TMBG song is Purple Toupee....every tinme I hear that song I want to jump up and doiwn and sign...sing at the top of my lungs... And that is not something I do normally... Well I must dash, I thinmk I'm going to start a religion based on John Flansburgh.....hey what the hell... "Waffle." Well, what do you think sirs? Robin. -- --Robin Connell...College Radio Dj Supreme.....WBNY 91.3fm.....-- ---------------"Buffalo's Original Alternative."----------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Dec 1995 11:57:09 EST From: MYSTERIOUS WAYS Subject: Finally I've been on here for a month or so. Finally, something worthwhile to write about. My favorite song(although calling this a song is a stretch) is Fingertips. Everytime I hear it I laugh my ass off. It's a little hard to explain to my friends, but if they don't like TMBG, it's their loss. As for Robin and her Purple Toupee, don't you just want to sing whenever you hear They and not just during one song? Tim I don't have one of your cool footnotes, so this'll have to do. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 11:43:58 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: Re: Racist Friend on the Bass Okay, This is some prety good advice but I've only been able to find 3 They midi files on the net. Two of these don't even use a bass. Can anyone tell me where I can find more midi files? I think that there must be more out there. Joe Puscas Thank You for your support. -Bartels and James ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 12:03:19 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: Re: YOur new Religion Hey, If your going to start a new religion could I be a Clergyman. Dibs on Clergyman. We could sacrifice stuff to our god. It would be a hoot. What should we call this welijun. My favorite song is Where Your Eyes Don't Go. Joe ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 18:24:08 +0000 (GMT) From: "Mark M. Iles" Subject: Misc T Dear All, Anyone know what the relevance of Miscellameous T is? Mark ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 13:36:39 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Misc T > Dear All, > > Anyone know what the relevance of Miscellameous T is? > If you look in some music stores, there are some groups that start with 'T' but don't have thier own Tab (or whatever they are called) that have thier band name on it. There's a section for these groups and it calls under "Miscellaneous T". Its been said that when Misc. T came out TMBG didn't have thier own tab hence the name Miscellaneous T. But now since they have thier own section the joke doesn't apply anymore. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 13:39:47 -0500 (EST) From: Copy shop clerk Subject: Youth Culture Killed My Dog Hi there folks, can somebody with a lot of free time on their hands send the real lyrics to Youth Culture Killed My Dog my way? the more i listen to it, the more i think what i am singing is wrong. i need help, but that goes without saying. thanks heaps! :) Soph sarsmith@othello.ucs.indiana.edu <-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<- "It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem. For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much- the wheel, New York, wars and so on- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man- for precisely the same reason." -Douglas Adams *------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: One More Parade Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 13:47:01 -0500 (EST) I got Dr. Spock's Backup Band and was listening to the end of it and they had a song called One More Parade. It was a totally awesome song and I was wondering if anyone knows the origin of this song? I don't think it's on any of the singles and it isn't on any of the albums. Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order|Elastica|Blur|Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: replacements Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 13:50:28 -0500 (EST) > > > > Okay, We're the Replacements is about a band called The > >Replacements, but who are they, what are they like? Are they really goofy > >or something? > > Mark, > > Whoa, who are the Replacements? They were a great, rocking band from > Minneapolis (?) or there abouts. I remember them as partying hard on stage > and not always being at their best. I think I remember one member even > hurled after drinking a bit much. I have several of their albums and wish > they had stuck together. I don't think I'd call them goofy or much like > TMBG. IMHO, Sort of punk attitudes, mixed with rock and decent lyrics. Are you speaking of the Replacements or the Residents? I have heard that the Residents have vastly influenced TMBG where they said that the first album (the pink one) was a copy of the Residents. The Replacements were headed by Paul Westerberg (I have the Don't Tell a Soul album which is pretty good) and he went on later to make the album 14 Songs (I think it was) with that excellent song, First Glimmer!! Does anyone have any Residents albums by the way? I've seen a few at the store but they're all $15 and I'm waiting to get a used copy of one. Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order|Elastica|Blur|Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 13:49:17 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: TMBG, Joy Division, Moz....etc... Well, let's see. My favorite song shifts every time I listen to a different tape. Right now, it's between "Puppet Head", "Ana Ng", "she's an angel", and "Don't let's start". Don't make me decide, i'll implode. Love &all that, 'Nette [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] "Good morning, campers!!" - Keith Moon in Tommy *--------------------------------------------------------- Question of the week: When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? *--------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Dr. Spocks Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 13:53:20 -0500 (EST) OOOps I made a mistake, One More Parade is not, I repeat not on Dr. Spock's Backup Band, I meant to say the bootleg we got called Live on Mountain Stage. If anyone has heard this song please come forth. Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order|Elastica|Blur|Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 13:53:35 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: Racist Friend on the Bass There's five out now.... Keep looking.... 'Netters [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] "Good morning, campers!!" - Keith Moon in Tommy *--------------------------------------------------------- Question of the week: When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? *--------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: TMBG, Joy Division, Moz....etc... Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 13:56:25 -0500 (EST) > Matt...hey if she ever wants to send any extra souveniers of Ian I'll > see if I can get you one...She has pictures with him, albums, etc... > > I'm going to stop drooling now...:) I'll continue to drool! > > I feel the need to start a TMBG thread, I have a feeling it has been > done before...but If all the threads keep having to do with the Breeders, > I'm going to go insane!!! Oh wait I'm already threre, nevermind.... > Anyhow I want to hear from you faithful TMBG listeners, what is your > favorite TMBG song! I'm sure thuis has been touched upon before, but > hey let's just flog a dead hjorse (horse....whoops) and talk about it > again. It's better than the breeders thread, trust me. My favorite > TMBG song is Purple Toupee....every tinme I hear that song I want to > jump up and doiwn and sign...sing at the top of my lungs... I would say either Rhythm Section Want Ad or No One Knows My plan because of it's excellence live! That's my thoughts ma'am! Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG | S.P.O.C.K. | "Look at the size of that thing!"--Wedge | "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-New Order|Elastica|Blur|Suede *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: salad shooter Subject: one more parade Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 15:15:52 EST one more parade is a cover of a phil ochs tune, i believe. farside p.s. clearly the best tmbg song is kiss me, son of god(alternate version). ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 14:08:16 -0600 From: Lazarus Long Subject: Re: One More Parade At 01:47 PM 12/5/95 -0500, you wrote: >I got Dr. Spock's Backup Band and was listening to the end of it and >they had a song called One More Parade. It was a totally awesome song >and I was wondering if anyone knows the origin of this song? I don't >think it's on any of the singles and it isn't on any of the albums. One more parade is by the folk Singer Phil Ochs (the day!). TmbG covered it supposedly for a tribute album (which i've never been able to find). it is available on the elektra 40th aniversary disk. it's definately a great song... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 14:43:26 -0500 (CDT) From: Joelle Rehberg Subject: Re: favorite TMBG song Hiya... > I would say either Rhythm Section Want Ad or No One Knows My plan because > of it's excellence live! That's my thoughts ma'am! I would have to agree with No One Knows My Plan. I was at a concert where this was played and there was a HUGE conga line. Everyone was dancing around like mad. It was great. When my roommate isn't in our dorm room, I like to blast it really loudly and dance around the room. I would also have to say Turn Around is a favorite when I am with my brothers. My siblings have always had a thing for skulls, so when we heard the chorus for the first time, we burst out laughing. Is that somewhat morbid? ttfn -- Joelle Rehberg ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 14:41:54 -0600 (CST) From: Klager Curtis Subject: Re: Misc T > > Dear All, > > Anyone know what the relevance of Miscellameous T is? Yes I do, you Shmuck! Misc. T is the section of the record store where early They Might Be Giants music could be found, way back in the day... So how-doddly-do do you like that?!? P.S. All you wet people talking about your little personal crap, please bear in mind that this goes out to MANY people, composed largly of individuals who do not, by and stretch of the imagination, give a air, land, or sea based rats tail about your sordid personal afairs. And also, about that favorite song garbage, WE'VE BEEN THROUGH IT BEFORE! I've been subscribed to TMBG mailers for move than two years, and by FAR the worst of that time was spent wading through MOUNTIANS and MOUNTAINS absolute rubbish. If you insist on going on about favorites, AT LEAST, FOR THE LOVE OF MOG, DON'T tell us your "least favorite" or "most annoying" etc... We don't need your sorry-asses to put down the Johns for stuff that, nine times out of ten, you simply don't get but then attach a truckloa of bogus meanings to. HATE HATE HATE! Blaaa! I am evil. -*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*- . . . . . Curtis Klager <<>> "Keep On Chooglin'" - CCR . . . . . . -*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*- ------------------------------ Date: 05 Dec 1995 13:10:23 -0800 From: "GOODPASTURE Ryan" Subject: FW: One More Parade >I got Dr. Spock's Backup Band and was listening to the end of it and >they had a song called One More Parade. It was a totally awesome song >and I was wondering if anyone knows the origin of this song? I don't >think it's on any of the singles and it isn't on any of the albums. >Matt It's a Phil Ochs (say 'oaks') cover. I don't know much about Phil Ochs, except that he was an anti-war activist/song writer (in Britain, i think), i've heard vague rumors of his stuff being suppressed or censored but the details are hazy... anyone know any more? "the day Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs got married the trees all waved their giant arms" -TMBG asking for a favorite song is like asking which is the cutest baby animal.. cuddling a baby bunny will give you the shivers, but then that little chunk rhino just gazzes my gizzard... there's definitely a few quiescent pieces.. purple toupee, it's not my birthday, where your eyes don't go, ana ng, i'm insane, kiss me son of god, james k polk, she's an angel, why must i be sad (?)... jeez, on and on... lets say 'they'll need a crane' .. although i'll tell you different tomorrow. ryang ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 16:49:06 -0500 (EST) From: "DAVID A. MEYERSON" Subject: llollahpahlloozah. i'm personally glad TMBG haven't done llplz (la la pah looh zah) cause i view llplz as a venue for bands to hit it big or gain strength (kinda similar to the dark side of the force where power can be achieved quickly, but at a price). unlike TMBG's way of patience and hard work (similar to the good side of the force) may the force be with you daniel ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 15:58:19 -0600 From: Emily Lerche Kerr (Ana Ng) Subject: Cowtown(s) >Date: 04 Dec 1995 16:11:48 -0800 >From: "GOODPASTURE Ryan" >Subject: cowtown > >i suppose this has probably been discussed before but does anyone know where >be cowtown? is it fort worth, texas? that's what they call themselves down >there, i hear. what about the rest of the song... "the ardor of arboreality >is an adventure we have spurned" .. a reference to the evolutionary evidence >that we descended from apes/mnkeys/chimps/orangutans and no longer swing in >trees? that's the only line i can even guess at a meaning for. has there >been any word from the john's on this one? it's so confusing.. not that i >should be surprised. perhaps these well nigh indecipherable metaphors >should be left to the realm of ? > >ryang I'm not sure if John and John got Cowtown from this, but a long time ago when the railroads were first built, they used to transport cows by train or something like that and they had to make frequent stops to feed the cows or get them water or something and those towns where they stopped were called cowtowns. My definition is not totally accurate, but the point is the idea may have come from these towns long ago. Ana Ng ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 17:04:36 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Weird Al and Lollapalooza and Soul Coughing > About the Giants not being at Lollapalooza and the Breeders being there...are > you bashing lollapalooza or just jealous of the bands that were there, are > you saying they deserved to be there or that the breeders are dumb 'cause > they were there, I don't think I follow you, I don't think you're bashing > lolla, I surely hope not, I think lolla hasa been a great source of variety > of music for the last few years and I truly enjoy it, though I wish they > hadn't moved it from it's site on an airport runway to some dumb old stadium, > the runway was so much more fun... I am bashing everything about lolla. It was a good idea at first, but it turned stupid right after Smashing Pumpkins decapitated a microphone as a finale two years ago. I am sore that TMBG never was asked to preform and that Beck got first stage billing. Lolla turned sour and ugly. I do not like it anymore. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 17:00:31 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Racist Friend on the Bass On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye wrote: > Since we've gotten on the subjectof tabs doe's anyone the bassline for > your racist friend or any TMBG songs for that matter? > > Joe > Well, not yet. BUt I'll figure them out by the end of the week. Requests? Racist Friend... any others? OH! I know Ana Ng, but I'll type that some other time when I get an idea as how to cyber-say them. okay, bye lebo ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 17:21:18 -0500 (EST) From: Neil Subject: NO TMBG Content. None. Really. I mean it. so, has anyone else gotten the Saturday Morning album that came out, with alternative musicians doing catoon themes? So far, my faves have to be the VIolent Femmes doing 'Eep Opp Ork Ah-ah (means I love you)' and Matthew Sweet's 'Scooby Doo.' Wax does 'Happy Happy Joy Joy' from Ren & Stimpy. Pretty good, if you like them. Overall, pretty damn good. OKay, time to make my subject a lie. What cartoon theme would you like Them to play? Me, I'd like to hear them do Animaniacs. TMBG and A! together, is good. *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Neil Kelly neilbert@neilbert.nai.net abf8@maristb.marist.edu *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Send mail to sample@neilbert.nai.net for your FREE GIFT! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 16:57:38 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: Misc T On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Klager Curtis wrote: > > > > Dear All, > > > > Anyone know what the relevance of Miscellameous T is? > > Yes I do, you Shmuck! Misc. T is the section of the record store where > early They Might Be Giants music could be found, way back in the day... > So how-doddly-do do you like that?!? > > P.S. All you wet people talking about your little personal crap, please > bear in mind that this goes out to MANY people, composed largly of > individuals who do not, by and stretch of the imagination, give a air, > land, or sea based rats tail about your sordid personal afairs. > > And also, about that favorite song garbage, WE'VE BEEN THROUGH IT > BEFORE! I've been subscribed to TMBG mailers for move than two years, > and by FAR the worst of that time was spent wading through MOUNTIANS and > MOUNTAINS absolute rubbish. If you insist on going on about favorites, > AT LEAST, FOR THE LOVE OF MOG, DON'T tell us your "least favorite" or > "most annoying" etc... We don't need your sorry-asses to put down the > Johns for stuff that, nine times out of ten, you simply don't get but > then attach a truckloa of bogus meanings to. HATE HATE HATE! Blaaa! I > am evil. > > -*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*- > . . . . . > Curtis Klager <<>> "Keep On Chooglin'" - CCR . > . . . . . > -*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*- > > Yes, Curtis (the official buffet champ of Houston), I agree. Entirely too much crap goes on here. Im going to devote the next four pages to my opinion on the stupid crap that I have to put up with every time I check my mail. Now then: um, oh well... Hi Curtis. It's John (your buddy from that "band". You know, the "A" word) top secret. Me and Edik say... oh goddammit! Erik wants to eat at some fancy schmancy rich-ass expensive place. Umm, we saw Mr. Bungle last night. Yeah, personal messages on public shit that everyone subscribes too. Rockin good. Ok, here is my 3 favorite TMBG songs, based on compositional structure. 1) Subliminal. Ha Ha Ha 1-4-5. Its hard to wrong with A and E. Im serious, you people should stop reading now, and think about how many people are going to read whatever you subject them to. Anyway: 2) Oh, I dont know. 3) Window. This song pisses me off. john ------------------------------ From: salad shooter Subject: no subject (file transmission) Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 18:13:04 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: No subject - Continue with message? (y/n) nNo Mail Cancelled! ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Tue, 05 Dec 1995 18:38:24 EST Subject: TMBG and Saturday Morning Since the first time I ever heard of TMBG was on a Tiny Toons episode (remember the one where the tiny toons made their own music television and they made tiny toon videos to Particle Man and Istanbul??) I think it would be appropriate for Them to - in turn - do a tribute to the Tiny Toons and sing their theme song.... :) Tara ------------------------------ From: "Darren O'Shaughnessy" Subject: Re: cowtown Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:47:57 +1100 (EST) Ryan Goodpastur writes: > i suppose this has probably been discussed before but does anyone know where > be cowtown? is it fort worth, texas? that's what they call themselves down > there, i hear. Then that seems a good clue, seeing as other people have mentioned Texas in relation to Cowtown. > what about the rest of the song... "the ardor of arboreality > is an adventure we have spurned" .. a reference to the evolutionary evidence > that we descended from apes/mnkeys/chimps/orangutans and no longer swing in > trees? that's the only line i can even guess at a meaning for. I like it. "We've given up on swinging 'round in trees, even though we loved it." Along the same lines as someone else's division of the Roosevelt line: The ardor of arbor arboreality reality is an adventure we have spurned The first phrase is a wonderful piece of artistry using two similar words which we all should commit to saying at least daily this week (we Aussies would spell it "ardour", which actually reduces the symmetry :-( ) The second phrase means "the realm of trees" or somesuch, and is a beautiful enough word to stand on its own - even if they made it up. The third phrase may have come from somewhere else. Surely it describes us netters quite well? > perhaps these well nigh indecipherable metaphors > should be left to the realm of ? No no, they remind me of some of the things which keep me coming back to the early albums time after time! -- Signed, | The Horror of Modern Life - Part XLIX Darren | I'd like to experience something that has nothing new to O'Shaughnessy | offer. I'd like it to be exactly the same as the 1000s of | times I've done it before. And I'd like fries with that. For suggestions/requests regarding the HOML series, contact darren@aaii.oz.au ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 19:04:02 -0500 Subject: everyone read this From: mrme@usa.pipeline.com (Rabbit Ears) OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!!OH YES!!! OH YES!!! while sitting here.. REALLY bored like.. mr. klaw and i just came up with an idea.. no, it won't make us famous.. but it just MIGHT get our favorite band's music ALL around the world to 90% of all highschools at once!!!! yes, they'll all see and hear it!! actually, they'll just hear it, but it will be on tv!!! and it just might be possible... we just need your help.. you see, my friends, all you have to do, is send ONE message.. actually a request, to a broadcast station that is shown at MOST of the schools, (elementary to highschool) in the united states. that's right.. it's a litle news program that we people have to watch in the mornings.. i guess it's because they think we don't get enough of the stuff.. but anyway, it is possible to get them to do things everyonce and a while.. all i would ask you people to do is ask them [channel one] to play some sort of they might be giants song during the course of there show one day!! that's all there is to it.. the address, should you choose to accecpt this mission is chanone@aol.com!! please help -- :Rabbit Ears: ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 19:27:50 -0500 (EST) From: BECK Subject: Lollapalooza bashing RE:lebo's soreness that TMBG haven't been in Lollapalooza but Beck was. There are PLENTY of great bands that haven't been in Lollapalooza, but that doesn't mean that you should go knocking the ones who do. Beck, my namesake, was a great choice because he hasn't got enough exposure past "Loser". His other stuff is very good and unique and it's positive to show that to more people. I agree that TMBG should be there once, but we aren't the promoters. If I was, we'd have TMBG/Beck/Soul Coughing, etc. Anyway, putting Primus 8) at the headlining slot once proved that it is capable of excellence! Beck ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 18:30:04 -0600 (CST) From: Erik Swedberg Subject: Re: One More Parade On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Matthew James wrote: > I got Dr. Spock's Backup Band and was listening to the end of it and > they had a song called One More Parade. It was a totally awesome song > and I was wondering if anyone knows the origin of this song? I don't > think it's on any of the singles and it isn't on any of the albums. > Matt > -- Matt, One More Parade was featured on Elektra Records 40(?)th Anneversary compilation cd or something like that. I think its called 'Rubiyat'. I cant remember off hand who did the song originally. The idea of the cd was to have current Elektra artists perform older Elektra artists songs. People like John Zorn, the Gipsy Kings and perhaps 10,000 Maniacs covered people like the Doors. There you have it. john ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 05 Dec 1995 19:08:06 -0600 (CST) From: Fenchurch Subject: no one knows my plan about favorite songs: definitely turn around is good stuff, but i think my favorites are end of the tour, they'll need a crane, and Definitely, No One Knows My Plan. for example, in my computer class last year we were doing graphics in think pascal and someone told me the frequencies of the notes. and then, i made my computer sing. No One Knows My Plan. and write the words at the same time. and it was very cool. my RA is calling for a floor meeting, so must dash. amie kathee fenchurch longenbaugh ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 20:19:46 -0600 (CST) From: Klager Curtis Subject: Re: everyone read this > while sitting here.. REALLY bored like.. mr. klaw and i just came up with > an idea.. no, it won't make us famous.. but it just MIGHT get our favorite > band's music ALL around the world to 90% of all highschools at once!!!! > is possible to get them to do things everyonce and a while.. all i would > ask you people to do is ask them [channel one] to play some sort of they > might be giants song during the course of there show one day!! that's all > there is to it.. the address, should you choose to accecpt this mission is > chanone@aol.com!! please help Two things come to mind: 1.) That joke wasn't very funny. 2.) If you were not joking, please refer to yourself from now on as "The Fucknut" so the rest of us will know ahead of time what we are about to get into when reading one of your messages. -*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*- . . . . . Curtis Klager <<>> "Keep On Chooglin'" - CCR . . . . . . -*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*- Evil! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 21:35:41 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: Misc T Dear evil person, Don't mean to bitch out, but there are some of us who HAVEN'T been on newsgroups as long as you have, and perhaps may like to find out favorite/least favorite/other stuff out of curiosity. And as for all the personal stuff..... I believe it's known as communication and making friends. People do that, you know. After all, what would this be like if we all didn't put in our two cents? I hate it when I get this mean sounding....... 'Nette [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] "Good morning, campers!!" - Keith Moon in Tommy *--------------------------------------------------------- Question of the week: When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? *--------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 21:39:23 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: NO TMBG Content. None. Really. I mean it. On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Neil wrote: > Overall, pretty damn good. OKay, time to make my subject a lie. What > cartoon theme would you like Them to play? Me, I'd like to hear them do > Animaniacs. TMBG and A! together, is good. If they did a whole set of Animaniacs music, I'd absolutely die. Personally, I think that "I'm Mad" would be cool, and "The Monkey Song" is just made to be covered. 'Nette [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] "Good morning, campers!!" - Keith Moon in Tommy *--------------------------------------------------------- Question of the week: When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? *--------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 22:09:23 -0500 Subject: Re: everyone read this From: grant3@usa.pipeline.com (Mr. Klaw) On Dec 05, 1995 20:19:46, 'Klager Curtis ' wrote: >1.) That joke wasn't very funny. > >2.) If you were not joking, please refer to yourself from now on as "The >Fucknut" so the rest of us will know ahead of time what we are about >to get into when reading one of your messages. Man I don't know who you are but you have some attitude. I've only seen 2 post from you and both of them are bashing people who never did a damn thing to you. If you don't like what you read on this list then unsubscribe! But until then I believe everyone is entitled to say whatever it is that they want to say(as long as it deals with tmbg.) and last I checked this message did. So get off you high horse and quit bashing peoples messages just cause you don't like them.! A Klaw is a Klaw! -- "Time and Tide are one thing that no one understands." "Can't shake the devil's hand and say your only kidding." -TMBG- Mr. Klaw ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 22:52:38 -0500 (EST) From: Neil Subject: Re: NO TMBG Content. None. Really. I mean it. On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Frosty the Supervisor wrote: > If they did a whole set of Animaniacs music, I'd absolutely die. > Personally, I think that "I'm Mad" would be cool, and "The Monkey Song" > is just made to be covered. But, I could also hear them singing The Planets (oooh, mix that in with WDTSS? ... oooh, oooh. :) Or the Anvil Song. WIth a special guest pulled from the mosh pit to play the part of Baloney? Whaddya think? > 'Nette > > [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] > "Good morning, campers!!" - Keith Moon in Tommy > --------------------------------------------------------- > Question of the week: > When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two > away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? > --------------------------------------------------------- Someone else who likes the Who, dislikes Yoko (okay, that's not so remarkable) and like A! & TMBG? Are you sure you're not me? *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Neil Kelly neilbert@neilbert.nai.net abf8@maristb.marist.edu *---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Send mail to sample@neilbert.nai.net for your FREE GIFT! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 22:45:41 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Cowtown(s) Cowtown is from Earthworm Jim #1 (the comic book by Marvel)... and I quote, once again: Welcome to COWTOWN! lebo coming soon! The bass line to My racist Friend! I just figured it out! ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 23:15:05 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: racist! and now, the bass line. ^ means higher octave, \ means lower octave. First off, if you want to get the true TMBG sound with the earth shattering low bass notes, either use a keyboard, 5 string bass, or tune a 4 string down to a C - i.e. the E string is a low C, the A string is an F, the D string is a Bb [B flat], and the G string is Eb [E flat]. If you don't want to do that, that's cool too. Second, I'm going to try to type the notes as best as I can to show what phases go together. I hope it makes sense. Your Racist Friend, the bass line... as derived by lebo the great. INTRO: \E - like a heartbeat.... make it up! VERSE: This is where the party ends, I can't stand here listening to you G B^GB \E \D ^C \C \C \C \D\D^D G B^GB and your racist friend. \C \D GF#ED I know politics bore you, but I feel like.... (same as above, but hold G at end...no walk down) It was the lovliest... \E (like intro) My head can't tollerate.. \D (like intro) verse like above... bridge thing like above... guitar solo like intro TRUMPET SOLO: D G A D G A D (etc.) rest of song like above, except walk up... not GF#ED, but rather GBCD END: G G \C \D G The end! I hope that helps some. Sorry if it is nonsense. lebo ------------------------------ From: jeffk914@groucho.roc.servtech.com (Jeff Kyle) Subject: Re: TMBG and Saturday Morning Date: Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:05:20 GMT Organization: Silly Party, Inc. On Tue, 05 Dec 1995 18:38:24 EST, you wrote: >Since the first time I ever heard of TMBG was on a Tiny Toons episode >(remember the one where the tiny toons made their own music television and >they made tiny toon videos to Particle Man and Istanbul??) I think it would >be appropriate for Them to - in turn - do a tribute to the Tiny Toons and >sing their theme song.... >:) The big problem with that is that John & John don't like the Tiny Toons, nor what they did with the songs. When it was explained to them, they were thinking something more along the lines of the original Looney Tunes - not the Baby Muppets-style cutesy animation that it turned out to be. This was heard from an interview They did on a local radio station, which I transcribed a few months back for alt.music.tmbg. It seemed that They might be a little sore on the whole issue... I don't think they're exactly proud of it. (Can't say I blame them - I was disheartened at what they did to Particle Man - making it into a WRESTLING song?) | Jeff Kyle jeffk914@groucho.roc.servtech.com | | Rochester, NY "Katarina" 1975 Porsche 914 | | http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914 | | Car pictures, TMBG MIDI archive, and more! | | Someone's gotta say it - "Free As a Bird" sucks. | ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 01:03:18 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: saturday mornings But anyhoo, where can I get this rilly rilly (sorry, slipping into 80's valley girl speech..... hang on a second..... ) I meant, really really cool album? I want it I want it! Pardon me, I'm sleepy and hyper. Love, 'Nette on the Net [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] "Good morning, campers!!" - Keith Moon in Tommy *--------------------------------------------------------- Question of the week: When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? *--------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-87 *****************************