Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-89 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 89 Friday, 8 December 1995 Today's Topics: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= DR DEMENTO? Testimonial Dinner Test Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= THAT'S IT (none) Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= tmbg in spanish Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= Re: Hello Club!!! Dr. Demento Re: J&J Gay? (fwd) Re: J&J Gay? RE: hello club...IS THIS NEWS TRUE??? You know... Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= reasons for liking the guys Free to come and go or talk like Curtis Klager...there's pair of eyes in the back about that one certain message... Dubbing Re: about that one certain message... Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= New Year's Eve concert Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- There have been a lot of off topic posts, people posting the list rules for me, and people not on the list posting to the list lately. This will no longer be tolerated. The list has been reconfigured to allow only posts from the address that you subscribed from. I will _NOT_ be hand approving posts from other sites, they will be deleted. Please see my post to the list for more information. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 02:24:25 -0600 From: Santa Claus Subject: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= ok, i just decided that i want to know how to say they might be giants in as many languages as is physically possible. so... start sending me your translations. as of now i know 2, english and latin, but i want more! give em to me... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 00:53:42 +0700 From: petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) Subject: DR DEMENTO? Hey, Peter here. Living in Australia, I am relatively sheltered from the wonders of multichannel TV (I have just five shannels!), so could someone please tell me about who or what is Dr Demento, and the connection to TMBG?? Thanks. ############################################################################## The CHIPS ARE READY are a dynamic three piece band from Eastern Creek, NSW, Australia. Featuring Craig (lead guitar), Scott (lead guitar) and Peter (lead guitar), they are preparing for the release of their debut CD "The Best Of". ****************************************************************************** "The Chips Are Ready" New Debut Album Out Soon "THE BEST OF..." ****************************************************************************** "The new Beatles have arrrived, unfortunately, they aren't the Chips Are Ready!" GLEN A BAKKER. "Do yourself a favour, buy the new album from the Chips, the music is bad, but the cover is fantastic!" IAN "MOGGY" MELDRUM. "Almost as good as my McBeefsteak song." LEE KERNAGHAN. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THE CHIPS ARE READY HOMEPAGE, coming soon. Don't eat yellow snow. ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Thu, 07 Dec 1995 09:50:03 EST Subject: Testimonial Dinner Has anyone gotten the XTC tribute album "Testimonial Dinner?" I forget what song TMBG covered, but I know they did a track on the album. Is it any good??? Tara ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: Test Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 10:02:27 -0500 (EST) This is a test, please ignore. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Dec 1995 10:19:38 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= Sie Muessen Grossen sein!! (the ue is an umlaut, you know, the two dots over the u.) and the double esses should be ess-tsets-- looking sorta like a capital B. FLK ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Subject: THAT'S IT Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 10:31:55 -0500 (EST) I'm fed up now. In the last 3 days there have been more problems with the list then the 3 months prior I've been running it. As such, here are the new rules. These rules will be enforced with a heavy hand. I hate to do that to the good people of the list, but that's the way it's going to be. 1) You can only post to the list from the address you subscribed from. I will _NOT_ be hand approving posts from other addresses, they will be automatically deleted. 2) Thoses users who post: - Personal flames/insults. - Unrelated documents (chain letters et all) - List rules - Me too messages Will be removed from the list. No exceptions. Anyone found trying to get around the above rules will get their site banned. Please don't beg and plead to me to change these rules, this is the way it will be for a while. Also, don't bother discussing these rules on the list. -- Leo Bicknell - TMBG List Admin - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org System Administrator / Network Technician bicknell@ufp.org - bicknell@vt.edu - bicknell@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 10:33:20 +0500 From: stephen@datacube.com (Stephen Watkins X3095) >>Question of the week: >> When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two >>away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? >>*--------------------------------------------------------- >>Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu > >I've got to say, I've seen your "signature" five times now on the TMBG >newsgroup, and that's five times too many. I'm not personally a fan of >Yoko Ono, but I hold nothing against her either. She is a human being, >just like John was. To insinuate that she should have been killed is >immature, offensive, and completely unfunny. Please don't subject a world >of TMBG subscribers to this unnecessary hatred. Murder is nothing to joke >about. Yeah, and while we're at it, let's ban all discussion of: * Children with rabies * Murdering dogs with youth culture * Building empires out of the blood of the exploited working class * Killing people by blowing out their pilot light * Envisioning people being hanged * Changing people's minds by hitting them on the head with a rock * Waiting for mother to die so as to inherit * Immolation by statues * Killing people for their obsequious manner * Dance instructors murdering students with blunt instruments In short, I find it odd that a fan of Them could be so offended by gratuitous and senseless violence. And really, wouldn't you rather have John around than Yoko? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 11:26:41 -0500 From: Dale Caldwell Subject: Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST At 09:50 AM 12/7/95 EST, tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu wrote: >Has anyone gotten the XTC tribute album "Testimonial Dinner?" I forget >what song TMBG covered, but I know they did a track on the album. Is >it any good??? >Tara Tara, I just got it this week. It's got some great stuff and not-so great stuff. TMBG's cover 25 O'clock, is pretty good. The best song IMHO is 'Dear God' by Sarah McLachlan. I'm satisfied for the $12.00 I spent on it. On a tangent - does anyone share my opinion that there are way too many 'tribute' albums out. When I think of tributes, I'd rather see people covered who are major influences on music, things like the Folkways album which had several people covering Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly folk songs. The groups included U2, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and John Cougar Mellencamp. The worst examples I can think of are tributes to minor acts, being covered by minor acts. Though I liked 'Testimonial Dinner', I'd have to put it in this catagory, at least in terms of XTC. I have several lps and cds by them and like a lot of their music but don't really think they deserve a whole tribute. I'd rather have an artist cover their favorite, important, influential, etc songs and artists. The best part of this would be, if I was a fan of the group, I can buy the cd. In the case of most tributes, you're lucky if you know all the groups much less like them. I also think I like to see tribute albums be for past artists, like the way many halls of fame work. It seems weird to do a tribute for, say, XTC or Tom Petty, who are still making decent music. One exception would be benefit albums, like the 'Sweet Relief' or 'Red, Hot, and Blue' cd. These were directed toward charity which makes the idea of buying it for a few songs or artists better since the money can go to a good cause. The other problem is that it often seems that the record label releasing the tribute album only uses their contractual acts. This means that there could be a great group and they could do a fantastic cover but if the label doesn't have easy access to them, they don't make the cd. Even though I love TMBG, I don't think I want to see a tribute album for them, but I'd love to the Them do an album of songs They like, such as Frankenstien. Of course my opinion is heavily influenced by those albums that have a great song but I can't justify $12-15.00 to buy. And last time I checked, it still is a free country and no one makes me buy any of the tribute albums :-) dale ================================================================== badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges! dale@gardeners.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 09:04:16 -0800 (PST) From: "'Alejandro' Joseph Koenen" Subject: Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Santa Claus wrote: > ok, i just decided that i want to know how to say they might be giants in as > many languages as is physically possible. so... > > start sending me your translations. as of now i know 2, english and latin, > but i want more! give em to me... German : Vielleicht sind sie Gross. (my brain froze, I forget 'Giant' This is, 'They might be Big', sorry) The Eternal Spaz, _______________________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| | | _______| _______| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| |_______ | _______| |_______ | | | | | | | | |___________|___________|_____|_____|___________|___________|___________| Joe Koenen weasel@u.washingtopn.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 09:05:19 -0800 (PST) From: "'Alejandro' Joseph Koenen" Subject: Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, The Vonnegut Vassal wrote: > Sie Muessen Grossen sein!! > This reads, 'They Must Be Large' -- not quite right. _______________________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| | | _______| _______| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| |_______ | _______| |_______ | | | | | | | | |___________|___________|_____|_____|___________|___________|___________| Joe Koenen weasel@u.washingtopn.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 12:08 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: tmbg in spanish Serian gigantes. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 09:35:04 -0800 (PST) From: "'Alejandro' Joseph Koenen" Subject: Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Santa Claus wrote: > ok, i just decided that i want to know how to say they might be giants in as > many languages as is physically possible. so... > > start sending me your translations. as of now i know 2, english and latin, > but i want more! give em to me... Okay, I went and looked it up . . Viellicht sind sie Giganten. (Maybe they are giants) OR Sie sind viellicht Giganten. (They might be giants) _______________________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| | | _______| _______| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| |_______ | _______| |_______ | | | | | | | | |___________|___________|_____|_____|___________|___________|___________| Joe Koenen weasel@u.washingtopn.edu ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 13:11:54 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Hello Club!!! On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Col wrote: > I have been a member of this damn list for twenty four hours and I > all I have heard is sh*t. I ahve ehard a few good letters about TMBG. The > rest have been stupid comments about people none of y'all know. You can > disagree with people, as long as it is on an issue. None of this hate mail > crap that goes to everyone. Write personally to those shittheads you don't > like (i'll probably get a few now.) Here here. > But anyway, has anyone heard the song from Mighty Morphin Power > Rangers? Is it any good? THe only TMBG song I have actually heard in a It's damn good. And, as a proud Blockbuster Video employee, the movie you are referring to is "Ed and His Dead Mother." In case you're wondering. lebo ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson x722 Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 11:41:32 MST Subject: Dr. Demento Peter asked: ------------ Hey, Peter here. Living in Australia, I am relatively sheltered from the wonders of multichannel TV (I have just five shannels!), so could someone please tell me about who or what is Dr Demento, and the connection to TMBG?? Thanks. My Reply: --------- Dr. Demento is a syndicated radio show, now in it's 25th year. It comes from Los Angeles, CA, and the good doctor's real name is Barret Eugene Hansen. He has played several songs by TMBG since 1989, recently honoring them as the 24th most requested artists in the history of the show. For more information: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu:80/~jbmorris/ news:rec.music.dementia The show was available in Australia in the 70's, but I don't see it in the attached list of stations. ============================================================================= Russ Josephson RussJ@btc.adaptec.com "How come I can't see you in my mirror?" -- Tonio K "Don't let the features you read control the tickets you buy" -- America "I took off the intellectuals, I put on They Must Be Giants" -- Anonymous ============================================================================= Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 17:57:25 -0700 From: ras@carbon.cudenver.edu (Scooby) greeting dementions and dementiods, here it is, ANOTHER update of the infamous Radio Log. Please note the section on area codes that don't carry the doctor. There is currently no 800/900 number for the doctor. Please let me know if one surfaces and i will add to the list. also let me know if there are changes and what stations are involved. A new telephone number has surfaced: 310-ODD-TUNE (310-633-8863). This is a toll call, but not a 900-toll. This is apparently a request line. syndicator for the show: "On the Radio Productions" they are definitely charging a fee for the show now, so stations may be reluctant to pick it up. Many requests for a full list of stations that carry the good doctor have been requested; OTR's policy (rightly or wrongly) is to not distribute that information. address for On the Radio Productions: 3250 Ocean Park Blvd., Suite 206, Santa Monica, CA 90405, Jeff Leve, president, 310-392-9600. for those who want more information on Dr. Demento, updated copies of this log, or etc., there are three ways to access this subject on the net currently. the world-wide web call may not be available at this time; it is in process of converting to a new address: 1) for those with world-wide web: http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~jbmorris 2) for those with ftp access: ftp.uwp.edu access the "stations" file in /pub/incoming/lists/dementia 3) for those with plain e-mail: mail jbmorris@copper.ucs.indiana.edu use a subject line labeled "STATIONS" for an auto reply as always, PLEASE use e-mail for replies, as my login time is very sporadic. follow-up posts are very likely to not be noted. there is now a new section on overseas dementia (american/armed forces network) locations. enjoy and many thanx to harald for the info! the Radio Log is in no way affiliated with any syndicators or etc. it always has and always will remain of, by and for the demented souls out there. We now also add a statement that the only usage of this log is for listeners enjoyment (i.e., NOT FOR PROFIT). Please do not abuse the charity of all the hackers who have helped assemble this list. It has been assembled by information provided by you, the internet surfer, and you only. Thanx. ---scooby 12/01/95 version Dr. Demento is syndicated unless otherwise noted. Predominantly Definite Locations Demento Standard time: WZEW 92.1 AL Mobile 11 pm KEZA 107.9 AR Fayetteville 11 pm (or KMCK) KLPQ 102.1 AR Little Rock 9 pm KSEG 96.9 CA Sacramento 10 pm KXFX 101.7 CA Santa Rosa 10 pm KOZT 95.3 CA Ft. Bragg 9 pm KRZR 103.7 CA Hanford/Fresno 8 am KSCA 101.9 CA Los Angeles/Glendale 10 pm (LIVE) ???? 89.5 CA Pasadena ? XHRM 92.5 CA San Diego/Tijuana 11 pm KXBS 96.7 CA Ventura 8 am, 11 pm KBCO 97.3 CO Boulder midnight K??? 98 CO Cortez 9 pm WGCX 92.1 FL/AL Pennsacola/Mobile midnight WGLF 104.1 FL Tallahassee 10 pm WIOD 610 AM FL Miami 8 pm KMVI 98.3 HI Wailuku, Maui 10 pm (saturday) KMVI 550 AM HI Wailuku, Maui 10 pm (saturday) KFMG 103.3 IA Des Moines (cable?) 6 am (saturday) KFMW 107.9 IA Waterloo 10 pm KMVX 102.9 ID Jerome ? KRQK ??? ID ??? ? WLUP 97.9 IL Chicago 3 am WLUP 97.9 IL Chicago (repeat of previous weeks show) 2 or 5 am (saturday) WDNL 102.1 IL Danville 10 pm WSOY 103 IL Champaign/Decatur/Bloomington 10 pm WDEK 92.5 IL DeKalb 9 pm WQFE 101.9 IN Brownsburg - Indianapolis 10 pm WINN 106.1 IN Columbus 8 pm WNJY 102.9 IN Delphi 10 pm WQHK 105.1 IN Decatur ? WNTC 93.5 IN Evansville 9 pm KEYN 103.7 KS Wichita 10 pm WRCZ 101.7 MA Pittsfield (Z101) 9:45 pm WHFS 99.1 MD Washington/Annapolis midnight WKIT 100.3 ME Brewer/Bangor 10 pm WIQB 102.9 MI Ann Arbor 11 pm KLRQ 96.1 MO Clinton 9 pm KYYS 102.1 MO Kansas City midnight KFML 94.1 MN Little Falls 10 pm WMXU 106.1 MS Starkville 10 pm KQUY 95.5 MT Butte 10 pm WRCQ 103.5 NC Fayetteville 6 am (saturday) K??? 106.7 NE Norfolk 10 pm KEZO 92.3 NE Omaha 6 am KRCK 93.3 NE Omaha ? KFBI 107.5 NV Las Vegas 8 pm KOZZ 105.7 NV Reno 10 pm WPYX 106.5 NY Albany/Troy 10 pm WLVY 94.3 NY Binghamton/Corning/Elmira 10 pm WKPQ 105.3 NY Hornell 6 pm WVBR 93.5 NY Ithaca 11 pm WLNG 92.1 NY Sag Harbor 10 pm (monday) WLNG 1600 AM NY Sag Harbor 10 pm (monday) WNCX 98.5 OH Cleveland midnight WMNE(?) 1540 AM OH Niles 12:30 pm WBUX 1570 AM PA Philadelphia/Doylestown 5 pm WHTF 92.7 PA York - Starview 7 pm KACV 89.9 TX Amarillo 10 am (saturday) KKYS 104.7 TX Bryan College Station 10 pm ???? ????? TX Freer 8 pm WAFX 106.9 VA Norfolk 9 pm WMXR 93.9 VT Woodstock 10 pm KEYW 98.3 WA SE Washington State 10 pm WMXF 96.3 WI Madison 10 pm WMZK 104.1 WI Merrill 10 pm WOZZ 93.5 WI New London/Fox Cities/Green Bay 11 pm WIZD 99.9 WI Plover 9 pm WMUL 88.1 WV Huntington 10 pm (thursday) WQZK 94.1 WV Keyser 10 pm WRZZ 106.1 WV Ravenswood 9 pm Overseas sites: FEN 810 AM Tokyo, Japan (Far East Network; 12 am (saturday) Armed Forces Radio Network) European Sites: AFN (American Forces Network) Germany Z-FM, Sundays 22.05 Berlin 87.9 MHz Frankfurt 98.7 MHz (may be 87.9 as well) Augsburg 100.0 MHz Kaiserslautern 100.2 MHz Stuttgart 102.3 MHz Heidelberg 104.6 MHz Wuerzburg 104.9 MHz Bremerhaven 106.2 MHz (This is station is likely to close down soon, I've heard - or to change to the other AFN network, which doesn't carry the Dr.) SHAPE(Belgium) 106.5 MHz AFN 873 KHz AM 00.05 CET Fri-Sat. location??? the Doctor can be heard on the Power Network in Berlin between 0:00 and 2:00 on Saturdays. This may not last very long however. The Doctor is also on SEB Italy on "Power 106 FM" on Saturdays at 1605. All stations are on 106 MHz and are located in Avellion, Aviano, Decimomannu, Gaeta, Gheti, La Mado, Livorno, Naples, Rimini, San Vito, Sigonella, Verona, and Vicenza. The doctor is now on at the same time in Italy as it is in Germany, that is 22.05 Sunday evenings. Stations remain the same. As the signal is now picked up all over the place (from Iceland to Diego Garcia) it may well crop up elsewhere, too. Mind you the show comes to us about 3 months late, we just had the Thanksgiving edition. That makes it even weirder than usual. :-) Possible Sites: KNNT 104.7 CO Sterling ? WQTZ IN Fort Wayne KBOZ 93.7 MT Bozeman 10 pm WNWX ???? NY Plattsburgh ? KKRX OK Lawton WQWK 97.1 PA State College midnight WDJX 99.7 KY Louisville 6 am cable/satellite locations: KCR 96.1 CA San Diego County (Southwestern Cable) KWSB ? CO Gunnison and surroundings (?) WLCV 570 AM KY Louisville 9 am (5 pm Wed) area codes with no stations broadcasting the good doctor: area code state/region last update 604 BC, Canada 11/14/91 201 northern NJ 12/1/91 908 central NJ 12/1/91 609 southern NJ 12/1/91 212 and 718 New York City 12/1/91 914 Westchester, NY 12/1/91 214 Dallas, TX 5/22/92 513 Cincinatti 5/29/92 606 Northern Kentucky 5/29/92 804 Central VA 8/11/92 713 Houston, TX 9/14/92 906 Upper Pennisula, MI 9/17/92 404 Atlanta, GA 9/92 203 Connecticut 9/22/92 918 Tulsa, OK 10/9/92 517 Lansing, Alpena 10/10/92 616 Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Traverse City 10/10/92 414 Milwaukee 10/10/92 205 Alabama 10/20/92 512 Austin, TX 11/17/92 210 San Antonio, TX 11/17/92 206 and 360 Western Washinton State 11/30/92 716 Rochester, NY 11/30/92 919 Central North Carolina 1/31/93 608 Madison, WI 7/30/93 408 Santa Clara/Monterey, CA 1/5/94 315 Central, NY 1/10/94 610 Allentown, Easton, PA 1/25/94 813 Lots of Florida 3/25/94 401 Rhode Island 7/94 716 Buffalo, N 8/94 905, 416, 519 Southern Ontario 1/95 613 Eastern Ontario 1/95 412 Pittsburgh, PA 4/95 605 South Dakota 7/95 612 Minneapolis/St. Paul 7/95 603 New Hampshire 8/95 860 Connecticut 9/95 617 and 508 Massachusetts 8/95 507/612 Southern Minnesota 10/95 415 CA - Bay Area 11/95 Stations in "hiatus" (not currently taking the show, but expected to get it back soon) none at present. Demento standard time = sundays; midnight refers to starting at midnight sunday night, monday morning; times shown are LOCAL times. other times have day in parentheses please send verifications on times/stations, especially of the "possible" list. note: temporarily there is no active number to call for dementia info. please let me know if a new number comes on line. if there is not a listing for your area, and you want to shell out the $$$ for the doctor demento hotline, you can call 1-310-633-8863 to find out the location of a station near you. please send me any new locations. Current info indicates that the phone number is for requests and does not get a real person who may give station info out. If you care to snail mail to the good doctor: Dr. Demento, c/o the Demento Society, P.O. Box 884, Culver City, CA 90232 or join the fan club: send $15.95 to the above address please send additions/corrections to me at ras@carbon.cudenver.edu (or ras@copper.denver.colorado.edu or ...ncar!boulder!copper!ras or ras.carbon.denver.colorado.edu ). i will periodically update the listing. MORE THANKS to those who send/have sent me info. and thanx to Derek Ludwig and Bill Kinnersley, Ryan Mathews, Scott Bernier for as'sort'ed help and _______________________. scooby following are confirmations of stations that are no longer broadcasting the good doctor's show; now included are dates of confirmation: WAQX, syracuse, NY KZFX, houston, TX KZEW, dallas, TX WPNH, plymouth, NH KLCQ, davis, CA KSQI, ft "fun" (collins), CO WQTW, pittsburgh, PA WSPQ, springville, NY KWIC, beaumont, TX KJJO, minneapolis, MN WNDE, indianapolis, IN KGLD, st. louis, MO KRSB, roseburg, OR WZQK, colburn, VA WHTG, ? KCR, san diego, CA KFOG, san francisco, CA (9/5/92) KQMX, rolla, MO (9/5/92) KDON, salinas, CA (9/9/92) WRNX, amherst, MA (9/17/92) WAQX, syracuse, NY (9/22/92) KCCQ, ames, IA (9/22/92) WPTS, pittsburgh, PA (9/22/92) KKBB, shafter/bakersfield, CA (11/17/92) WMHD, terre haute, IN (1/21/93) KKEY, portland, OR (1/26/93) WYNS, allentown, lehighton, PA (1/31/93) KDBK, san francisco, CA (4/93) KDBQ, santa cruz, CA (6/14/93) KZSU, san francisco, CA (6/25/93) KKLV, anchorage, AK (7/30/93) KMCK, fayetteville, AR (7/30/93) WZLX, boston, MA (10/93) KLSX, los angeles (10/93) WLUP (AM), chicago, IL (12/93) KCPR, cal poly, CA (11/93) KZOZ, san luis/cal ply, CA (11/93) WLBC, muncie, IN (12/93) WTOS, skowhegan, ME (1/94) KMGI, pocatello, ID (2/94) WVFS, tallahassee, FL (6/94) WNJY, lafayette, IN (6/94) WSPI, shamokin, PA (7/94) KHTY, santa clara/santa barbara, CA (9/94) WRKY, steubenville, OH (10/94) Inside the Assylum, Cornell Univ. (10/94) KRSP, salt lake city, UT (11/94) KRTX, galveston, TX (12/94) KRXO, oklahoma city, OK (1/95) KIKX, colorodo springs, CO (1/95) KISZ, farmington, NM (1/95) KUNV, las vegas, NV - No Soap Radio (1/95) WKXL, concord, NH (3/95) WZLX, boston, MA (3/95) KMJQ, little rock, AK (4/95) WRCT, pittsburgh, PA - just what the doctor ordered (4/95) WLSW, scottsdale, PA (4/95) WSOY, decatur, IL (4/95) KELO, sioux falls, SD (7/95) KAUR, sioux falls, SD (7/95) KTEQ, rapid city, SD (7/95) KKOS, san diego, CA (7/95) WFUN, ashtabula, OH (7/95) KALE, kennewick, WA (8/95) KZON, phoenix, AZ (10/95) KKOS, carlsbad, CA (10/95) KKMY, beaumont, TX (11/95) WZTA, miami, FL (11/95) KSLM, salem, OR (11/95) The following is a list of other dementia shows that have been sent to the log: "Treats from Whizzo" 8:30 - 10:30 pm (friday) Cambridge, MA WMBR 88.1 FM monthly (on last friday) "Music with Moscowitz" 7-9 pm (sunday) Seattle/Tacoma, WA 106.1 FM also broadcast via Viacom Cable systems "House of Fun" hosted by Johnny D and the Fishbones LaGrande, OR 6-9 pm KEOL 91.7 FM Thursday "Sunday Funnies" 9:30-10 pm WCBK 102.3 FM Sunday Martinsville/Mooresville, IN "Mudpie Cafe" 6:30 - 7:30 91.7 WUOM U of Mich - Ann Arbor Sunday 91.1 WFUM U of Mich - Flint 104.1 WVGR Grand Rapids "Sunday Funnies" 2:00 - 5:00 pm WLUP 97.9 Chicago, IL Sunday "The Nut Behind the Wheel" 10 pm - 1 am 91.7 WPCR Plymouth, NH Thursday "The Rugrat Revue" 9:00 - 10:00 am WCBN 88.3 Univ. Mich - Ann Arbor Sunday "6th Hour Funnies" 1:15 - 2:15 pm WAHS 89.5 Auburn Hills, MI Thursday? (High School show) "Al Kossow's Comedy Show" 12 noon KFJC 89.7 Bay Area (SF, CA) Sunday ------------------------------ Subject: Re: J&J Gay? (fwd) Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 13:19:56 -0600 (CST) From: Chris Bongaarts Tim accidentally sent this to just little old me, and asked that I forward it to the list. >From: Tim Heilman >Subject: Re: J&J Gay? >Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 10:15:35 -0800 (PST) > >I did not ask the original question out of prejudice; I'd be more like >to prejudge should They actually both be straight. The "let's not >talk about it, we'd love them just the same" approach seems a bit >blind-minded to me. Also, a great many gay men have been married, let >alone had girlfriends. (David Bowie, for one) But maybe I'm just >trying to maintain my own little fantasy world here, again, as >always. =) > >> You can take the "in jail" metaphor literally or figuratively. In >> both cases, it supports the concept of a gay narrator. In the former >> case, the narrator is actually IN JAIL, perhaps for sodomy, which is >> still illegal in most states (now you know what the "shadow on the >> windowshade" is ;) But then again, it's a singular "shadow" - "A >> shadow" if memory serves, so this may or may not relate. > >I hadn't seen the shadow/windowshade "what one does behind closed >doors (pulled blinds)" symbolism, but it fits right in. But the jail >reference, I interpret more figuratively, as the cultural limitations >and biases an out gay man would face (especially with national >popularity). > > > > Taken figuratively, it is more akin to the whole >"closet" metaphor; > that is, the narrator feels oppressed - "locked >in" if you will - and > unable to live out life as he wants. > > >Other symbolism - the blueprint of the angle: reference to the pink > >triangles that homosexual folks were forced to wear in Nazi Germany? > >Again, a perfect fit I had not seen before. > >It seems to me the conclusion of the song is that a person in his >position does not have the option to come out; noone can, in the end, >see his secret smile. > >In a similar vein, Your Racist Friend seems very appropriate >considering the amount of homophobia which goes largely unchecked by >relatively non-homophobic friends (of homosexuals). The narrator >seems more ticked with "your" friend, where the second person seems >even to be a friend of the narrator, but with whom the narrator is >disillusioned due to their allowance of the most popular "racism". > >Also, (and this one may be stretching it...) at the end of Nightgown >of the Sullen Moon (and I still say they make knob rhyme with >abruptly) The final lyrics seem to be a discouragement of suicide to >the feminine (the moon is often referenced as a symbol of femininity, >and a nightgown is not exactly what I see a typical high school jock >wearing) audience. With 7 of 10 youth suicides being commited by >homosexual youth, this may or may not be an *excellent* message to a >hurting minority. > >-Tim >[This space intentionally left blank] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 12:05:00 -0800 From: BlueDawg Subject: Re: J&J Gay? At 01:30 PM 12/6/95 EST, you wrote: >Jeusus fucking Christ not this again. My sentiments exactly. Couldn't have said it better. Leo, how about including a part in the list instructions forbidding threads about the John's sexual orientation? --Big Blue Dog Forever----No Idiots Allowed Here-- S. M. Bergeron idiotnot@ix.netcom.com, idiotnot@aol.com "It's a thing named it in a bottomless pit, you can't see it there. The sunken head that lies in the bed of a self-called nowhere!"--John Sidney Linnell, master of ambiguity --My favorite color is clear--Leave me Alone-- ------------------------------ From: AARON STEVEN Organization: Sir Sandford Fleming College Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 16:17:46 -0500 (EST) Subject: RE: hello club...IS THIS NEWS TRUE??? ------- Forwarded Message Follows ------- Date sent: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 00:58:26 -0500 (EST) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Col Subject: Hello Club!!! Send reply to: Col But anyway, has anyone heard the song from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers? Is it any good? THe only TMBG song I have actually heard in a movie was in a movie I saw on HBO that was called something like, "Ed, Your Mother Is Dead." The main guy is Mr. Pink in "Reservoir Dogs." They played "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes" during the credits. Email schme-mail Hello COL or anyone: Are you serious. Are you telling me that They Might Be Giants have a song in the movie mighty morphin power rangers. Is this disturbing thing actually true. I hate the power rangers. And they might be giants agreed to this, it must not be true. is it? please write me and tell me the truth. Good or bad, I need to Know. Knowledge is devine, ....Oceanchild ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 19:05:35 -0500 From: ae371@freenet.Buffalo.EDU (Beth Connell) Subject: You know... I somehow get the feeling that there are some subscribers out there that post things just to be a pain in the tuckus and jepordize the fun of the list for the rest of us. I am refering to that lovely post titled "Study in Cream and Chocolate". If I remember correctly, we were just asked to can the non-TMBG related stuff. Not only is that non-TMBG related, that is rather offensive. It has NO place on this list, and I would formally like to ask Mr. Bucknell to send a letter of complaint to the postmaster at whatever site that came from. I really think we are in danger of losing this list to a few people that want to ruin it for the rest of us. I subscribe to this list becuase I enjoy all discussion on things TMBG-related, and find this is a great site to hear about upcoming concerts first (this is how I found out about the last Buffalo show, which I would have missed if I had waited for the newsletter.) I read my mail much more often than I have a chance to check out the Web site,m or the newsgroup, so this is much more convient for me. I would be quite upset if Mr. Bucknell decided to shut the list down due to the few infantile members we have in our ranks. On a slightly different note, I'm not entirely sure I agree totally with the guidelines that were established. I have no problem in trying to keep the list TMBG-orientated (with this exception, as I am THROUGHLY incensed and offended-this is a very hard thing to get me to be, btw.) but I don't see where there is a problem about discussing interps of songs or what your favorite song is, as long as you back up your statements with reasons as to why you like said song or have said interp. (EG, instead of My Favorite song is XXX, write My favorite song is XXX beacuse I find the lyrics to be particularly meaningful in that...etc,etc) Back up your statements with some further information or discussion. And for the record, I don't have a favorite TMBG song. I like all of their songs, and will have "favorites" based on my mood. When I'm in a peppy mood, I'll like "Don't let's Start" or "No-one knows my plan". They are both very catchy, and I can let myself go and dance maniacally around my room (or the air studio). When I'm feeling a little more thoughtful, I will tend to favor other of Their songs.. Particularly some of the more ambigous ones,where I can spend many a happy hour dissecting the lyrics and trying to find some meaning in them. I apologize to everyone for the length of this post, but I tend to get wordy when I am angry over something. I could go on, but will opt to save you all the bandwith and sign off. Hugs for all and especially for my sister, who will probably kill me after she reads this. :) Beth -- <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Dec 1995 19:05:05 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= As a matter of fact, if you noticed, i capitalized the "G" in Grossen, in effect making the adjective into a noun--i thought it was funnier than "Riesen". Okay? FLK ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Dec 95 19:06:00 EST From: Mike Orsega Subject: reasons for liking the guys well im new to this list and i was wondering why people are tmbg fans?????? i mean i started listening to them about 8 years ago when i was a teen and they made my mom think that they (and i) were weird.....THEY ARE WIERD!!!!! that's why i started to like them and you know, the more i listen, the less weird they seem....the lyrics actually start to make sense....is this how it goes? i was convinced of this until i got their video compliation in the mail and now im REALLY confused!!!!!!!! they are strange indeed! comments? mike "Watch the Sneak!" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:19:16 +1200 From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Subject: Free to come and go or talk like Curtis Klager...there's pair of eyes in the back i'm starting a club called "Down with Curtis Klager the facist bastard who want >> s death for free speech and fun" > hey slag off mr boogaloo shrimp cuz > 1)curtis(the man-mountain) may be one of THE wisest men > on and off the planet > 2)he can hands down eat this entire excuse for a list > under the table. i've seen him do something > similar. > so be reverent. so he's a know-all and a guts, that doesn't make him right, but really, for God's sake, don't start a damned civil war!! PS Channel One: one of our three nationwide TV channels, hereabouts, the other two are just as originally named: TV2 and TV3. Well you asked. Be reveredn? My god, here we are on a list dedicated to one of the most irreverent bands I know, and you want us to...sheesh... MICHAEL CARR ***************************************************** "We said we were going to do a show on men who wanted to get married and women who didn't, and we got lots of calls: Men saying "Are you going to have women who do want to get married on the show?" and women asking "Are you going to be serving donuts?" -Oprah Winfrey, talkshow host and get fit quick queen **************************************************** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Dec 95 22:02:25 EST From: "Anne E. Heidemann" <343SXVT@CMUVM.CSV.CMICH.EDU> Organization: Central Michigan University Subject: about that one certain message... hi there. i was kind of shocked tonight, reading my digest. what *was* that message? and what was it doing on the tmbg list? i mean, its certainly fine if soemone wants to read nad write it, but of allthe untmbgrelated stuff we've had lately, this is the most unrelated thing of all. just curious why it was there. peace, anne ************************************************************ *** Anne Heidemann *** *** anne.e.heidemann@cmich.edu *** *** 343sxvt@cmuvm.csv.cmich.edu *** *** *** *** "Let your mind go and your body will follow." *** *** --L.A. Story *** ************************************************************ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 07 Dec 1995 23:06:09 EST From: YCTP14A@prodigy.com (MR JOSHUA L DEROME) Subject: Dubbing Does anyone at all have some bootlegs or rarities that they can dub for me??? It would be quite the treat, seeing as my girlfriend can't get info on anything, and I have Prodigy, which does it all ... But anyway, I'd be willing to pay for your troubles.. Tell me what you have, and I tell you what we can do... thanks later Bill DeRome ------------------------------ From: "Frankenberry" Organization: John Brown University Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 22:39:00 GMT-5 Subject: Re: about that one certain message... I awoke from a dream and had this stuck in my head: an exercise in observing that which is in front of your nose: > i was kind of shocked tonight, reading my digest. I think you just gave them what they wanted. Just now. > what *was* that message? It was a dirty message designed to shock you while you were reading your digest. >and what was it doing on the tmbg list? Well, I just don't possibly know. It's certainly over MY head. > this is the most unrelated thing of all. psst... Anne. I think that was the point. Send a dirty message to a list that has nothing to do with the content. It's a jhok. Albeit, not a funny one, but... > just curious why it was there. I have you down as saying it twice. > peace, of what? tapping his fingers, Frank ___________________________________________________________________ | "People of Sarajevo,| "The truth is... YOU'RE the weak, and I | | count your bless- | am the tyranny of evil men. But I'm | | ings. There are so | tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to | | many in the world | be the shepherd." | | who have food, heat,|-------------------------------------------- | and security, but | "Taste is the enemy of art." | | they're not on t.v. |-------------------------------------------- | the way you are." | "I don't make robot trash, I burn it, and | | -Mr. Macphisto | when I look at you, I throw up!" -Crow | ___________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 22:47:44 -0600 From: Santa Claus Subject: Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= allrighty, all you out there are probably thinking, everyone else probably allready sent him how to say They Might Be Giants in their own special language, and he probably allready has it in my own special language. well, I don't care. (aside from the fact that i don't.) send it to me, in as many languages as you know, upsidedown or backwards. if i get repeats that's just as good. so do it. you won't regret it. ------------------------------ From: snoyL leahciM Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 00:30:08 EST Subject: New Year's Eve concert Ok, I've seen in a couple of places that They Might Be Giants are having a concert in NYC on New Year's Eve. The question is, who is opening for them? I've seen both the Martinis and Frank Black (separately) listed as openers. Who is it? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see either, and I would just about explode if it happened to be both (maybe with the Amps as well . . . Nah.). But it would be nice to clear up this confusion in my head. BTW, if anyone could send me ticket info (privately, don't clutter the list), it would be greatly appreciated, as I'm down in Virginia until at least the 18th, so I don't have a great opportunity to peruse New York area stuff until I get back home to Connecticut. Thanks for any help you can give me. Michael Lyons mtl6s@virginia.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-89 *****************************