From: owner-tmbg-list To: tmbg-digest Subject: They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #9 Reply-To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Errors-To: owner-tmbg-list Precedence: bulk They Might Be Giants Digest Tuesday, 26 September 1995 Volume 01 : Number 009 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: horowitz@BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 15:34:37 -0500 (EST) Subject: Boat of Car Hey- I always thought that the song was about Kennedy's Chapaquitick (sp?) thing... Taking a boat for a car is driving the car off the bridge. Trying to get somewhere means get somewhere politically (wasn't he going to run for pres.?) and following the traces of your fingernails would be just that...didn't a girl drown in that car? My facts may be way off, I don't think I was even born yet when that happened, so if anybody has more detail about it, they can figure this out more... -Andy ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 15:43:08 EST Subject: Re: Constantinople > Hi. I heard a rumor that there is a cover of the song "Constantinople' > (Itself a cover I believe) that appeared on Tiny Toons, as sung by > (apparently) hampton. Is this rumour or fact? Can someone back this up for > meor am I just being swindled by evil communist pigs? On one episode of Tiny Toons, there are animated videos of both "Istanbul", and "Particle Man" I think the "Istanbul" video does make it look like Hampton is singing, but I'm not sure about that point. And since we're talking about that, if anyone has a video of that episode, I would LOVE to trade! I have a whole bunch of stuff, so just e-mail me! ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 15:47:03 EST Subject: Re: > ps.. I also think Bill Nye Rules... he often times has more non-sequitors > in one episode than the whole John Henry album! What's a non-sequitor? ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 15:51:01 EST Subject: Re: New album > I haven't seen it on a web site anywhere but I have seen it posted to alt.music.tmbg > several times. Try the unofficial TMBG web page. I know it's there, because I found it, you just have to follow "Giant Links" and it's pretty easy to find. I don't know the URL off-hand, but I have a link to it from my home page. I won't post the URL for my home page, because I figure, if you really want it, you'll ask. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 20:52:01 -0600 Subject: Re: Vogelhaus Thus spake parreira@aquawolf.xs4all.nl (Daniel Rodrigues Parreira): >> "In German, we like to call it 'Vogelhaus in deiner Zahle.'" > >This is German, but it translates to 'Birdhouse in your *number*'. The >correct translation in German is: > >'Vogelhaus in deiner Seele.' My apologies. I heard it on Dr. Spock and didn't bother to look it up in my dictionary. I knew Zahl meant number, but thought it might be different with an umlaut. Die Seele it is then. - --Jon ****************************************************************** Jonathan Chaffer Rabidchild on RealmsMud jonathan.chaffer@cmich.edu Mail me for help getting there! - -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GM/MU d-(--) s++:--->++:- a--- C++ U--- P--- !L E? W++>+++ N- o? K+ W--- !O M+++++$ !V PS-- PE+ Y+ PGP- t+ 5? X? R+/C tv b++ @DI !D G++ e*>++++ r y- - ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------ ------------------------------ From: "Ben Allen" Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 20:04:56 +0000 Subject: Re: > From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" > Organization: Agnes Scott College > To: tmbg-list@ufp.org > Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 15:47:03 EST > Subject: Re: > Priority: normal > Reply-to: tmbg-list@ufp.org > > > ps.. I also think Bill Nye Rules... he often times has more > > non-sequitors in one episode than the whole John Henry album! > > What's a non-sequitor? All the tea in China. - Free the expo '67 ------------------------------ From: "Ben Allen" Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 20:10:48 +0000 Subject: Re: Constantinople > Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 07:45:04 -0600 > To: tmbg-list@ufp.org > From: Jonathan.Chaffer@cmich.edu (Jonathan Chaffer) > Subject: Re: Constantinople > Reply-to: tmbg-list@ufp.org > >Hi. I heard a rumor that there is a cover of the song > >"Constantinople' (Itself a cover I believe) that appeared on Tiny > >Toons, as sung by (apparently) hampton. Is this rumour or fact? Can > >someone back this up for meor am I just being swindled by evil > >communist pigs? > > The Tiny Toons episode called Tiny Toons Music Television had > animated videos for both Istanbul and Particle Man. They are not > covers, but straight from the Johns' mouths. Not to go off on a wild tangent or anything like that, but did anyone else notice that in one scene of the video Plucky had a "distinctive" hairstyle and Hampton was wearing a pair of strangely familiar glasses? - Free the expo '67 ------------------------------ From: michael.carr@stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Michael Carr) Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:56:37 +1200 Subject: Not Cha >> Makes more sense to me than 'Hot Cha' to name one of many... > >Well the times when I'm too lazy to skip over hot cha I got this meaning out >of it. (well only a surface meaning not a deep physiclogical exmanination >of the >song) It was about a girl that went away once then came back then went >away again >then somoene (father, boyfriend) is looking for her and wants her to come back. >But then again it could be about a guy that got drunk once and went to >rehab and >now hes dreaming about what it would be like to be drunk again... Well I have to pull this definiton to bits. One the person defined as 'Hot Cha' is definitely not female if 'the first time hot cha went away, a floating island was his home' and then the idea of 'hot cha' being a metaphor for alcohol seems irrespressibly silly to me, because you can personify the demon drink certainly. But not as somethiong that leaves your stereo on and cooks bacon.... And also just because I feel like adding this for the mere sake of it, someone asked a while back if the Giants were religious. This I would have strong doubts on, because on the song "Road Movie to Berlin" they describe themselves, or rather the Guy at the Gates (St Peter) as the nicest of the damned. I certainly wouldn't like to be described that way if I was a good Catholic boy. Ciao. - ------------------------------------ All things being equal, fat people use more soap. Michael Carr Email: - ------------------------------------ The facts, although interesting are irrelevent. ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 23:41:48 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Not Cha Well Michael Carr, man of infinite TMBG wisdom, would be so kind as to dissect the song Kiss Me Son of God for me? On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, Michael Carr wrote: > > >> Makes more sense to me than 'Hot Cha' to name one of many... > > > >Well the times when I'm too lazy to skip over hot cha I got this meaning out > >of it. (well only a surface meaning not a deep physiclogical exmanination > >of the > >song) It was about a girl that went away once then came back then went > >away again > >then somoene (father, boyfriend) is looking for her and wants her to come back. > >But then again it could be about a guy that got drunk once and went to > >rehab and > >now hes dreaming about what it would be like to be drunk again... > > Well I have to pull this definiton to bits. > One the person defined as 'Hot Cha' is definitely not female if 'the first > time hot cha went away, a floating island was his home' and then the idea > of 'hot cha' being a metaphor for alcohol seems irrespressibly silly to me, > because you can personify the demon drink certainly. But not as somethiong > that leaves your stereo on and cooks bacon.... > > And also just because I feel like adding this for the mere sake of it, > someone asked a while back if the Giants were religious. This I would have > strong doubts on, because on the song "Road Movie to Berlin" they describe > themselves, or rather the Guy at the Gates (St Peter) as the nicest of the > damned. I certainly wouldn't like to be described that way if I was a good > Catholic boy. > > Ciao. > > ------------------------------------ > All things being equal, fat people use more soap. > Michael Carr > Email: > ------------------------------------ > The facts, although interesting are irrelevent. > > > ------------------------------ From: sara kathleen smith Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 23:54:31 -0500 (EST) Subject: Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy is my hero. On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Ben Allen wrote: > > From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" > > Organization: Agnes Scott College > > To: tmbg-list@ufp.org > > Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 15:47:03 EST > > Subject: Re: > > Priority: normal > > Reply-to: tmbg-list@ufp.org > > > > > > ps.. I also think Bill Nye Rules... he often times has more > > > non-sequitors in one episode than the whole John Henry album! > > > > What's a non-sequitor? > All the tea in China. > - > Free the expo '67 > ------------------------------ From: Matt Powers Date: Mon, 25 Sep 1995 23:28:57 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Non-sequitr defintion To the Princess Bridesmaid: Non sequitr means, literally, "it does not follow." Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary defines it as "an inference or a conclusion which does not follow from the premises." inference: to derive by reasoning premise: a proposition supporting or helping to support a conclusion For example: If John says, "In 1844, the Democrats were split The three nominees for the presidential candidate Were Martin Van Buren, a former president and an abolitionist James Buchanan, a moderate Louis Cass, a general and expansionist From Nashville came a dark horse riding up He was James K. Polk, Napoleon of the South" and you say, "But we can't have a child now! We're not mature enough, stable enough, or wealthy enough. I'm sick of you trying to con me into these crazy experiments! Get out of my life, you psychopath!" then you have indeed produced a non sequitr. Or when you put some bread in the toaster and pink salamanders issue forth...well, it does not follow. m@t ------------------------------ From: Mark Sehler Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 16:38:00 +1000 (EST) Subject: mateless in australia To everyone in the EMAIL TMBG I am a mateless Australian loser that is in like with TMBG music. As the only Australian on the list i will look forward to the insight I will be able to bring, discussionally as well as socially. I am pleased to meet you all. From Royale with Cheese mark@planetx.com.au ------------------------------ From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 11:26:22 EDT Subject: Re: Constantinople > And since we're talking about that, if anyone has a video of that > episode, I would LOVE to trade! I have a whole bunch of stuff, so > just e-mail me! ` I thought that WB put that episode on video. Oh well anyway I would like to see that one again. The first time I saw it I didn't even know who They Might be Giants were. ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 13:09:38 EST Subject: Re: Constantinople > I thought that WB put that episode on video. Oh well anyway I would like to see that > one again. The first time I saw it I didn't even know who They Might be Giants > were. If they did put it out on video, I have no idea where to find it, and would appreciate any help in that regard also. ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "The Princess Bridesmaid" Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 13:08:10 EST Subject: Re: mateless in australia Nice to meet you too Mark. Cathy ******************************************** "I am not the only dust my mother raised" They Might Be Giants Catherine Gurry catherine.gurry@Agnes.ScottLAN.edu ********************************************* ------------------------------ From: "DUSTIN T. MILLER" Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:46:08 -0500 (EST) Subject: more lists! please! dustin here. just a reminder to all ofyou that i'm still accepting tmbg top-25 lists from everyone. as of yet i have only received 8 or so. keep 'em coming, folks! i need a larger base to form an adequite representation. remember: put them in this format - #1 favorite, #25 ...uh, 25th favorite. send all lists to dustytm@cedar.goshen.edu. (oops, except no period after the edu) thanks! Dustin T. Miller ------------------------------ End of They Might Be Giants Digest V1 #9 ****************************************