Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #1-90 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 1, Number 90 Saturday, 9 December 1995 Today's Topics: A few Giant thoughts A few Giant thoughts TMBG # Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST Re: A few Giant thoughts Re: Hello Club!!! cover songs Re: way-out Model Giant Fan Ed and His Dead Mother NJ CORRECTIONS Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= Re: NJ CORRECTIONS They Might Be Giants in french TMBG in Russian Re: That nifty Apollo XVIII cover Re: reasons for liking the guys Re: reasons for liking the guys OTHER Languages to say it in... Re: reasons for liking the guys Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST Fans seyan gigantes\? Re: Model Giant Fan Re: OTHER Languages to say it in... Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST TMBG in Chinese and Tagalog Re: OTHER Languages to say it in... the plaguerat's address Re: That nifty Apollo XVIII cover Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST Mike Re: That nifty Apollo XVIII cover Administrivia: For all administrative issues, such as change of address, withdrawal from the list, etc., send a message to the following address: tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- There have been a lot of off topic posts, people posting the list rules for me, and people not on the list posting to the list lately. This will no longer be tolerated. The list has been reconfigured to allow only posts from the address that you subscribed from. I will _NOT_ be hand approving posts from other sites, they will be deleted. Please see my post to the list for more information. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: john@msd.measurex.com (John Pletikapich) Subject: A few Giant thoughts Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 9:20:23 EDT 1) To Leo and others: Do you think there would be any merit to regularly mailing an FAQ and guidlines to members on the list? Think it might help bring the noise level down? 2) I received my first order from TMB Productions. I didn't have to wait too long -- a few weeks, I guess. At first listen the EPs, WDTSS and BTS, are not that great but I'm sure I'll warm up to them. I got the Skull mouse pad. Question: Of all the TMBG images, why the skull? My co-workers probably think I'm turning into Jeffrey Dahmer. The things we do for our favorite band... 3) I have a tendency to sing little phrases of songs or jingles over and over and then my wife picks up on the same phrase and gets mad at me. You know, "Now look at what you have me singing!" Well, the other day we were going somewhere and I kept singing "minimum wage" and sure enough she repeated it a little while later. She isn't too familiar with They, but I think I may have surreptitiously planted a seed in her brain. Oh well, I got a doughnut I gotta get back to... BTW, to everyone whose address ends in .edu, good luck w/ wxams. (It is that time of year, isn't it?) -- john john@msd.measurex.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: A few Giant thoughts Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 09:51:25 -0500 (EST) > 2) I received my first order from TMB Productions. I didn't have to > wait too long -- a few weeks, I guess. At first listen the EPs, > WDTSS and BTS, are not that great but I'm sure I'll warm up to them. > I got the Skull mouse pad. Question: Of all the TMBG images, why > the skull? My co-workers probably think I'm turning into Jeffrey > Dahmer. The things we do for our favorite band... Just a reminder... In order to receive any goodies from the TMBG fan club (hats, shirts, albums, singles, etc) you have to order by credit card today if you want to have it by Christmas. The check date has passed. Of course, there's nothing wrong with getting stuff after Xmas or any time of th year for that matter! Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: TMBG # Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 09:54:31 -0500 (EST) You know after posting that last message I realized that my friend has the TMBG newsletter and I don't have the phone number to order stuff. Can someone post this number so that I may call? Thank you much! Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 09:08:02 -0500 From: Dale Caldwell Subject: Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST At 12:29 AM 12/8/95 -0500, Matt James wrote: [text deleted] >> Even though I love TMBG, I don't think I want to see a tribute album for >> them, but I'd love to the Them do an album of songs They like, such as >> Frankenstien. >I'm not sure if I'd like to see a TMBG tribute or not, it'd be interesting to see >who'd cover what and how the songs went. >Matt For some strange reason, I'd like to hear Alice Cooper cover TMBG. What song? Hmm, maybe Dig My Grave or Shoehorn with Teeth. Er, then again.... :-) dale ================================================================== badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges! dale@gardeners.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 10:21:55 -0500 From: Dale Caldwell Subject: Re: A few Giant thoughts At 09:20 AM 12/8/95 EDT, john@msd.measurex.com wrote: > >1) To Leo and others: Do you think there would be any merit to > regularly mailing an FAQ and guidlines to members on the list? > Think it might help bring the noise level down? > I'd second this idea. Sending it out monthly (bi-weekly?) to the list, everyone can send additions to it with things like tour info, discographies, etc. Of course this also represents work and effort so, being lazy, I wouldn't want to volunteer for the task :-) dale ================================================================== badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges! dale@gardeners.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 10:36:36 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Re: Hello Club!!! > I have been a member of this damn list for twenty four hours and I > all I have heard is sh*t. I ahve ehard a few good letters about TMBG. The > rest have been stupid comments about people none of y'all know. You can > disagree with people, as long as it is on an issue. None of this hate mail > crap that goes to everyone. Write personally to those shittheads you don't > like (i'll probably get a few now.) Well usually it isn't arguing, just latley (or the times when people start bitching about an off topic statement) > But anyway, has anyone heard the song from Mighty Morphin Power > Rangers? Is it any good? THe only TMBG song I have actually heard in a > movie was in a movie I saw on HBO that was called something like, "Ed, Your > Mother Is Dead." The main guy is Mr. Pink in "Reservoir Dogs." They > played "Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes" during the credits. Ed and His Dead Mother is actually a pretty good movie. Its kinda funny. Steve Busshmi does rule. Anyway the song in the credits is actually Everything Right is Wrong Again. As for other movies with a They song in the credits, I know of Black Magic which has Istanbul Not Constanible (which They are not credited for). ---- "Ed your mother is missing" "Did you check the refridgerator?"... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Dec 1995 10:41:31 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: cover songs I don't know about the Alice Cooper. That might be interesting, but... Personally, I think XTC (or what's left--Andy anyway, Terry and the Lovemen?) could do quite a job on a few of Their songs--"They'll Need a Crane"--think of "Lie Still, Little Bottle"... hmmm... FLK ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 10:57:55 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: way-out Was the "Way Outs" episode the one in which Fred "invented" a new dance by dropping something heavy on his foot? I liked that one. 'Nette [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] "Good morning, campers!!" - Keith Moon in Tommy *--------------------------------------------------------- Question of the week: When John Lennon was shot, Yoko was only a foot or two away. How could the gunman MISS her like that?!?!? *--------------------------------------------------------- Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) [-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-][-] ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 11:08:42 EST From: apf@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Adam P. Fistler) Subject: Model Giant Fan Somethings been bothing me latley, so be warned, people with the false paradigm of what a Gaint Fan is might be offended. Latley I've been reading stuff posted by people saying stuff contrary to what a `Giant Fan` would say and people been jummping on them about it. Why is it that people that are Giant's fan must be LOVE LOVE LOVE? Don't we ever have times when we get irrated. They are a BAND not a Church. The next thing that bothers me is interperations. They them selves have said that they don't put too much time in to trying to figure out the meanings of thier songs. So why do people jump on people when they have thier interpertations saying "no thats absulotly wrong". It can be diffrent things to diffrent people. I just don't see where people got this impression that a TMBG fan should be perfect. And if one person doesn't measure up they get flammed in email and people basically say that you shouldn't be a THEY fan because you don't measure up to what a They fan should be. Most people probrally joined this list because they liked Thier music, not because they were a model fan. So everytime somebody does what a They fan shouldn't do, they get 10000 emails on what a They fan would do and a they fan wouldn't do that. I know, I know, a ton of you are probally pissed off after reading this, but I just had to get it off of my chest. And if you don't think a REAL They fan would post then, well then I'll go because I like thier music, not the They fan paradigm. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 11:13:08 -0500 (EST) From: jpenney@CLEMSON.EDU (Col) Subject: Ed and His Dead Mother >Ed and His Dead Mother is actually a pretty good movie. Its kinda funny. >Steve Busshmi does rule. >Anyway the song in the credits is actually >Everything Right is Wrong Again. As for other movies with a >They song in >the credits, I know of Black Magic which has Istanbul Not Constanible >(which They are not >credited for). I apologize for my wrong information. It ahs been a long time since I've seen that movie. It is a great movie. I suggest some of y'all rent it if you want some stupid comedy. I apologize again for being wrong. (*Dammit! That Happens all the time!!!!) Email schme-mail ------------------------------ From: "Anthony F. Portizo" Subject: NJ CORRECTIONS Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 11:26:38 EST HELLO GIANT FANS ONCE AGAIN, I HAVE SOME MORE INFO AND SOME CORRECTIONS FOR THE SHOW IN REDBANK ON DEC. 16... FIRST OFF THE SHOW IS CALLED THE SNOW BALL... THE TICKETS ARE AROUND 20 BUCKS AND BESIDES SEEING TMBG YOU WILL ALSO GET 6 OTHER BANDS... THEY ARE: DEL AMITRI, CIV, DEEP BLUE SOMETHING, RUSTY, SOLUTION AD, THE WHIRLING DIRVISHES.... THAT IS ALL...FOR NOW... ANT... -- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 10:39:32 -0600 (CST) From: The Guy Who Hit You in the Eye Subject: Re: foreign ? =?iso-8859-1?Q?=BF?= Eythay Ightmay Ebay Iantsgay Piglatin JOe ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 11:08:40 -0600 (CST) From: "She-ra, Princess of Power" Subject: Re: NJ CORRECTIONS On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Anthony F. Portizo wrote: > THEY ARE: DEL AMITRI, CIV, DEEP BLUE SOMETHING, RUSTY, SOLUTION AD, THE > Ewwww...I can't believe They would play with Deep Blue Something. Gross. Has anyone actually listened to this band? -Jenny, who's been living in Texas long enough to despise Deep Blue Something ------------------------------ From: tapatenaude@acad.ursinus.edu Date: Fri, 08 Dec 1995 13:10:03 EST Subject: They Might Be Giants in french I think it's Ils pourraient etre des geants with an accent grave over the e in etre and an accent aigue over the e in geants. :) Tara ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 13:02:37 -0600 (CST) From: Lokshin Michael S Subject: TMBG in Russian =Anee Mogut Biet Gigangte I know doing Russian in English kinda blows, but, try to pronounce the "e"s by imagining the sound of hurling, or by pronouncing the second part of the excamation "Ayee!" as in "AYEE! He's got a gun!" "Desire is a brushfire burning gasoline" ML ------------------------------ From: Chuckmysta@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:15:52 -0500 Subject: Re: That nifty Apollo XVIII cover I believe John Is defenitly right about the cover on Apollo. In case you all are wondering who I am, I am Chuck! Mr John V has been spreading rude, evil, and frankly disgusting lies about me. First of all I didn't steal ALL of his TMBG CD's. I actually have bought more albums than I borrowed from him. It didn't start out that way however... When I was a really young lad of about 14, alright so I wasn't that young, I heard my first TMBG album. Stinky (Mr. John V) came over to my house after he had just bought flood. I had never even heard of They Might Be Giants before that day. He played FLOOD in my CD player and I absolutly loved it. After a few days John had it I asked him if I could borrow it. He said yes. As he bought more albums by TMBG I just simply borrowed them. I only have 3 of his TMBG CDs now and as far as I am concerned I am still borrowing them, O.K. maybe I consider myself the owner of them but oh well. O.K. maybe I never plan on giving them back but it's not my fault. I worship them. Without TMBG I would be lost. They Might Be Giants are the best band in the world. I want to play guitar for them someday. It is a dream that will never come true but everybody needs dreams because without them, life would be pointless. I do sincerley thank John for dealing with me all these years and letting me steal his CD's. Oh Yah, John you can have your Weird Al CD's back. Chuck I LOVE TMBG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:40:51 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: reasons for liking the guys On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Mike Orsega wrote: > well im new to this list and i was wondering why people are tmbg fans?????? etc... My story dates back to 1989 when a friend of mine geve me a copy of Lincoln. I had already heard Ana Ng and loved it before this, but I forgot who wrote the song. So he lent me the tape. And it was good. And nobody in my circle of sixth grade peers had ever heard of TMBG. So, striving for that individualist persona that was lacking amongst the New Kids fans, I dubbed TMBG as my favorite band. But then I actually listened to the album. The music was inventive, as were the lyrics. It all had a dorky, "I don't care if you think I'm stupid cauze I'm having fun," ring.... which was me. So what it boils down to is that TMBG = me. No, I'm not J&J, but what they say in their songs is. That's why I'm a fan.... becuase we're all dorks and we don't care cauze we're having fun. lebo the dork. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 16:48:12 -0500 (EST) From: Frosty the Supervisor Subject: Re: reasons for liking the guys Why do I like TMBG? Well, I had first heard them back in 1990, when I was staying on a college campus for a summer program, and my roommate had Flood, which I borrowed for endless nights, considering that I was already an Istanbul junkie from the Tiny Toons episode, even though I had no idea who "They could be gigantic" (what I called them) were. Anyways, after hearing this tape all the way through, I was totally hooked. We even choreographed Hot Cha, which we forced the DJ at all the dances to play at least twice a night. :) I didn't buy my first album until two years later, when I was finally able to find the tapes at the record stores. I was still having trouble remembering the name at this point, and 1992 was the first time they had their own "separator" with the name on it, and I have been totally into it since then. Now, I want to follow them everywhere (ok, not that extreme, but I am a big fan). Love, 'Nette <<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>> "Good night, everybody!" - Yakko *------------------------------------------------------ Q of the week! Exactly how many licks DOES it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? *------------------------------------------------------ Jeanette Frost(y the Supervisor) frost@trenton.edu Trenton State College, in scenic Ewing, NJ (go fig) <<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>> ------------------------------ From: joeyd@netcom.com (Mr. DJ) Subject: OTHER Languages to say it in... Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:11:19 -0800 (PST) First, Spanish: Es possible que ellos seyan gigantes. French: Ils Sont peut-ettre geants. German: Sie durfen reisen sein. JAPANESE!: Atatachi wa ookii hito. That's all I know. (JD-DJ) *-------------------------------------------------------------- /----\/----\ /----\ /----\ /--\ | || | | <> | | /-\ \ | | | \/ | \----/ | | | | | | joeyd@netcom.com | | | | | \ | \_/ / ___/ | \___/ \___/ | \ <> \____/ \_____/oey Drago **CHECK THE NEW SIG OUT!!!** "I could never sleep my way to the top, 'Cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up..." --Guess who *-------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: Matthew James Subject: Re: reasons for liking the guys Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 17:25:45 -0500 (EST) > But then I actually listened to the album. The music was > inventive, as were the lyrics. It all had a dorky, "I don't care if you > think I'm stupid cauze I'm having fun," ring.... which was me. > > So what it boils down to is that TMBG = me. No, I'm not J&J, but > what they say in their songs is. > That's why I'm a fan.... becuase we're all dorks and we don't > care cauze we're having fun. > > lebo > the dork. Dork, dork! oh sorry, got a little carried away there ;) Matt -- *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James mjames@love.loyola.edu,elrond@charm.net http://www.charm.net/~elrond "EIREANN GO BRATH!"| Eireannach siochan | Wedge Antilles | "I'm not the only dust my mother raised."--TMBG| "Hail to the king, baby"-Ash Anything Box|Erasure|Warsaw-Joy Division-NewOrder|Elastica|Blur|Suede|Pulp Smiths|Revenge|The Other Two|Rush|Morrissey|Moxy Fruvous|Lightning Seeds *-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:35:16 -0800 (PST) From: Chewbacca! What a Wookie! Subject: Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST > At 12:29 AM 12/8/95 -0500, Matt James wrote: > >> Even though I love TMBG, I don't think I want to see a tribute album for >> them, but I'd love to the Them do an album of songs They like, such as >> Frankenstien. >I'm not sure if I'd like to see a TMBG tribute or not, it'd be interesting to see >who'd cover what and how the songs went. >Matt Along the same lines...I'd just like to know who would cover TMBG. Not your dream covers, mind you, but who seems to cite Them as an influence. Post or private, as you will, this may actually be a new thread. Jason "TMBG is one of my formative influences as a band" Weiner Jason Weiner # "In other words, Dad, I'm suffering from Stanford University # ...from...ROCKINEUMONIA and the BOOGIE- discord@leland.stanford.edu # WOOGIE BLUES." - Binckely, Bloom County ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 17:39:15 -0500 (EST) From: jpenney@CLEMSON.EDU (Col) Subject: Fans As I have noticed, all TMBG fans are dorks or have some dork in them. The band is obviosly dorky as noticed in all photographs, but that is what makes them great. THey do not buy into that rock and roll scene. No drugs or alcohol for them; just coffee. I guess that's why their lyrics are so kooky, too much dman caffeine. I first heard them in eighth grade: right after the fateful album Flood came out. Of course, my older brother played Particle Man for me. At first I laughed at them. It was funny, but not that catchy. Well, we were going skiing in Colorado the next day, and me and my bro went to K-mart for a little last minute shopping. On the way, I heard most of the tape. By the time I got to Kmart, I loved them. I even checked their cd's, but like K-mart would carry TMBG. Anyway, from then on I bought all their albums and singles, etc. I have seen them live in CHarleston, SC. They are the best live band. Although their music is not "better" live, they put on a great show. Who else would get the audience to form a congo line? The live rendition of Spy was great, but it got a little annoying after five to ten minutes of bursts of chords. By the way Frosty, once when I was bored during studying for exams, I counted. IT's 347 licks to the center of a tootsie pop. So sue me! I am going into advertising. Email schme-mail ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 18:03 EST From: "Jamie jim joe joey junior shab-a-doo" Subject: seyan gigantes\? es posible que seyan gigantes. is wrong. firstof all, seyan is not a word in sp anish, or if it is it is not the present subjunctive of ser(the verb to be). you can say "es posible que sean gigantes" or serian gigantes, meaning they would or they might be giants. or Seran gigantes, which is the future in spanish but it can mean 'might' also ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 95 18:46 CST From: mykonos@shoga.wwa.com (Chris Mayes) Subject: Re: Model Giant Fan Hear, Hear! They are not about elitism among a few "hardcore" fans, rather they are about cool music for anyone who cares to listen. I do not see how having more recordings, listening to Them longer, going to more of Their shows, or any other sort of statistical crap makes a better fan. Be welcome to enjoy Their music, but please refrain from ruining it for the rest of the fans for the sake of yr own ego. Thank you. I remain Chris M. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 08 Dec 1995 20:20:32 -0500 (EST) From: The Vonnegut Vassal Subject: Re: OTHER Languages to say it in... > German: > Sie durfen reisen sein. Actually, if you're going to say it that way, you need to capitalize "Riesen"--oh, and it's "ie", not "ei", because if you say it with ei, it means "vacations"! (They Might Be Vacations??) oh, and the durfen would have an umlaut over the u, and it would actually be "du"rften" (I'm not absolutely sure about that one, but i think so!) Sorry, I can't help it that I'm a nitpicker!! FLK Kurt Vonnegut RULES!! ------------------------------ From: johniac@austin.ibm.com (John Iacoletti) Subject: Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 19:38:05 -0600 (CST) Dale Caldwell writes: > For some strange reason, I'd like to hear Alice Cooper cover TMBG. What > song? Hmm, maybe Dig My Grave or Shoehorn with Teeth. How about "Why Must I Be Sad"? :) -- John Iacoletti IBM RISC System/6000 Division johniac@austin.ibm.com My opinions do not reflect the views of the IBM Corporation "On Earth Day I was gonna plant some trees, but I planted my ass on the couch" -- Rugburns ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 10:18:55 +0800 From: Leo Dy Ragos Subject: TMBG in Chinese and Tagalog There's no way to reproduce the characters, but the phoentic translation in Hokien, a dialect of Chinese is: Bopan in si twa shiahnh lang, which means literally Maybe they are big sound people, but the literal and the understood translations don't correspond exactly. In Tagalog, the language of the Philippines, it's: Siguro gigante sila, which due to the weird sentence structure means Maybe giants they Using inversion, you can get it closer: Siguro sila ay gigante, but that's an awkward construction. Le0 \+/ +-*-+ ____________________________________________ /+\ M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S ^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ i^^^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^()^^i & ((( . *. . * | . * . * ))) i^^^^o^^ ___________________________ ((( . * . | * . .* ))) ^^*^^^^^^i H A P P Y N E W Y E A R ! ((( . * * | . * . * ))) i^^^o^^^*^^^ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (((__________|_________ ))) ^^^^^^^^0^^^^i ((( . * . * |. * . * ))) i^^^*^^^^o^^:)^^ ___________________ ((( . . * | . ////// ))) ^^()^^^^^^^*^^^^^i |__|____|____|____| ((( * * . |* ( @ @ ) ))) i^^^^^o^^^^^()^^^^^^ |____|____|____|__| ((( * . * | . \ o / .))) ^^^^^^^^*^^^^^^o^^^^^i |__| / |__| (((=====================))) i^^^^^o^^^^^^^^*^^^^^^^^ |__| \\\ |__| ^^^^*^^^^^()^^^^^^^^o^^^^i|__| ///// |__| >< ^^^^^o^^^^^^|^|^^^^0^^^*^^^|__| \\\\\\ |__| ########### >< >< \__|_|__/ >< |__| /////// |__| ########### ||||||||| ::::::___ \_____/ __%%%%%%_|__|_XXXXXXXX__|__|_ \-/ _###########___|||||||||_ :::::: \___/ %%%%%% \_______________/ ('.') ########### ||||||||| %%%%%% @(m " m) ******************************************************************* ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 20:17:24 -0800 (PST) From: "'Alejandro' Joseph Koenen" Subject: Re: OTHER Languages to say it in... On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Mr. DJ wrote: > > German: > Sie durfen reisen sein. > Hate to nit-pick (OK, I love to nit-pick) but this translates as 'They are allowed to be vacationing (to be)'{one too many verbs} If you capitalize the 'r' in reisen, it translates : 'They are allowed to be Giants' Your resident bastard, _______________________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| | | _______| _______| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | _______| |_______ | _______| |_______ | | | | | | | | |___________|___________|_____|_____|___________|___________|___________| Joe Koenen weasel@u.washingtopn.edu ------------------------------ From: Plaguerat2@aol.com Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 23:20:22 -0500 Subject: the plaguerat's address there is way to much testosterone in this room!!!! brothers and sisters please let us calm the f**k down and stop goin gfor each others throats... tmbg is music of peace love and happiness... so heres my remarks... 1) the song at the end of ed and his dead mother is "everything right...." not whatever someone else said.. 2) who gives a rats umm.. wait.. a human' s ass if the johns are gay straight, bi or vega sexuals.. we listen to them for their music not fot who they sleep with 3) weird al and the giants together.. anyone who reads the newsgroup knows i got flamed back to the stone age for suggesting this (see weirdstock the vision) 4) i started a list on the newsgroup of people who were going to the ..early show on new years eve.. damn 21 year olds.. well idf you are please end me your email address and ill add you to the list.. cool way to meet the people you've been arguing with for months 5) hope all your holidays are happy... the mighty mighty PlagueRat all the tmbg fans were nestled all snug in their beds with dreams of super feuled freaksicles danced in their heads all the bitching and pleading was aimed at elektra with care in hope that the damn album would soon be here... ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 23:56:27 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: That nifty Apollo XVIII cover > best band in the world. I want to play guitar for them someday. It is a > Chuck I want to play bass for Them. Hey, let's start up a band.. call ourselves some dirivitive of They Might be Giants, and play all TMBG covers. I allready know Ana Ng, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, Your Racist Friend, and a buncha others. And I'm better than Tony! WE WILL RULE! a much too hyper, lebo ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 00:04:25 -0500 (EST) From: "Michael C. Lebovitz" Subject: Re: Testimonial Dinner - BST > Along the same lines...I'd just like to know who would cover TMBG. Not > your dream covers, mind you, but who seems to cite Them as an influence. > Post or private, as you will, this may actually be a new thread. > > Jason "TMBG is one of my formative influences as a band" Weiner The Malvern band Sheep proudly covers Someone Keeps Moving My Chair! and, yes, Sheep is my own band. lebo ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 01:00:01 -0500 (EST) From: jpenney@CLEMSON.EDU (Col) Subject: Mike Mike...it's jpennEy! WHy do you want me? "I'll never see myself in the mirror with my eyes closed."--They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 01:56:44 -0600 (CST) From: "She-ra, Princess of Power" Subject: Re: That nifty Apollo XVIII cover On Fri, 8 Dec 1995, Michael C. Lebovitz wrote: > > I want to play bass for Them. Hey, let's start up a band.. call > ourselves some dirivitive of They Might be Giants, and play all TMBG > covers. I allready know Ana Ng, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair, Your > Racist Friend, and a buncha others. And I'm better than Tony! > I want to be Laura Cantrell or someone who sings backup or something. Can I be in your band? -Jenny, who has entirely too much free time on her hands for someone who's supposed to be studying for finals. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #1-90 *****************************